Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

III. Wicked Stepmother

Any meal with Lady Clarice Ashdown could be compared to attending church service with a vicar who did not know the core of his teachings. The woman would say one thing in front of many people and say another the moment she turned her back.

The latter began the moment Tori sat down and lifted her fork.

"I hope you are keeping your distance from the Everards, Victoria."

Margaret and the rest of the Everards had to face yet another scandal mere days after the ball. And this time, it was more serious than the last. The road to the first Everard wedding was proving to be a challenge because this time it involved the Men of Courts.

The family was not just facing a scandal anymore. This time they had to deal with a crime accused on Benedict's fiancée.

Victoria was quite familiar with Agatha Blair. As the governess of the two youngest Everards, the woman had by far been amongst the best. She had joined Margaret and Tori in many quiet afternoons reading books, discussing subjects that ladies of their age and intellect were interested in. In fact, Tori considered Agatha a friend. And to see the accusations thrown at the woman, and to witness people believe the said accusations, nearly pushed Tori to march down to Everard House and protect the woman. But she had her own struggles at home.

She frowned at Clarice. The woman was dressed for another night out.

Tori could not entirely blame the woman's capricious nature, for her father should have known the woman he was marrying when he met her. After Tori's mother died when she was but five, August Ashdown thought Tori needed a mother.

He could have picked a better and older woman. Clarice had never physically maltreated her, but the woman had never seen her as anyone but a competition either—a competition to her husband's attention and most definitely his wealth. Tori knew they were nearly at the last of their townsends, but Clarice would still act as though she owned every cobblestone she walked on.

"You have said merely days ago, Clarice, that the Everards are dear friends," she wryly commented on the woman's statement.

"I know, dear, but you also know that there are quite a number of people who are wary of them at the moment. With this big scandal about the governess being a witch, I do not want you to suffer the same fate."

"You should have worried about my attachment to the Everards before you practically dropped me in their doorsteps every chance you could after Papa's accident."

A flicker of annoyance crossed Clarice's eyes. "But that was before, Victoria. You are a grown woman now. By God, you are nearly a spinster! You ought to think more for yourself than hang around the Everards. It would have been neat if one of those brothers offered for you, but I do not see that happening."

She had long given up understanding what Clarice really wanted for her. Not many years ago, she had a line of suitors willing to give her their names, but it was Clarice who had so frequently told her not to accept, having seen too many flaws on the gentlemen, until the day came that all of them ceased to come.

At some point, she truly believed Clarice wanted the best for her. Oh, how wrong she had been.

"Now, you ought to spend more time with Lucas. He has been meaning to talk to you, but you are not always home when he comes around."

"I do not see why I would need to be present whenever he is," Tori said, feigning ignorance. Clarice may appear calm and graceful most days, but years of living under the same roof as the woman had opened Tori to the many facets of Clarice Ashdown.

At her words, Clarice set her fork down and eyed her evenly with a smile. "He wishes to marry you."

"And you are going to say no, yes?" she asked, matching her stepmother's sly smile before she chewed on a piece of roasted beef.