Chapter 29

"Let. Her. Go." I commanded my mother. The scene reminded me of the dreams I'd had of Nima's death, and I had to swallow my panic. My mother clicked her tongue at me with disapproval.

"Manners, Aria dear. Ah ah ah," she warned as I took a step towards the pair. A trickle of blood ran down Nima's neck as my mother pressed the knife harder against it. "Stay right there, please. I want this to end peacefully just as much as you do. Everything that happens from this moment on is up to you." She was using her sickly sweet voice. It unnerved and enraged me. I said nothing, fearing for Nima's well-being, so my mother continued.

"Excellent. Right to it, then. Here is the deal. You two are becoming a very large thorn in the side of this entire program. The pair of you seem to believe the you may do as you wish in this place. We did not bring you here, and literally give you the world, for the two of you to chase after one another like hormonal teenagers."

"Furthermore, as the eldest residents, the others look up to you. What do you think will happen if they see you defying your destinies? Before long, the others will begin to believe that this deviant behavior is acceptable."

"We cannot allow this. However, you both represent significant investments, so we cannot simply dispose of you. Therefore, I have come up with a simple solution." My mother paused to take a breath, or perhaps simply for dramatic effect.

"Aria, from this moment on, you will do everything exactly as I say, and whenever I say to do it. Otherwise, I shall kill Miss Barrett here," she looked at Nima, whose nostrils were flaring with rage. "If you do not find this offer amenable, I will kill her here and now, instead." My mother finished her soliloquy and looked to me for a response.

"Aria, no!" Nima cried through the tears that were beginning to stain her face. She attempted to struggle against my mother's hold, drawing more blood from her neck as the knife sank deeper.

"Easy, dear," my mother chimed in Nima's ear. "It would be a terrible tragedy if my hand were to slip. Both of them looked to me, waiting for my decision.

"Aria," Nima said again, "please, don't do this. It's not worth it." She was trembling. I hadn't noticed before, but I was, too. A disgusting, malicious sneer played across my mother's face as she watched me silently parse through the situation.

It felt as if my whole life was crumbling around me in a matter of seconds. As I thought back on how we had ended up here, I realized that this had been my mother's plan all along. This is why she had allowed me to spend time with Nima and get close to her. It was easy to manipulate a fool in love. Nima was the bait and the trap, and my complete obedience was the endgame.

As I took a mental step back, I began to see the intricate web my mother had woven, though it was impossible to know how far it extended. Had my mother brought Nima here solely for this purpose, knowing that this was the inevitable outcome, with a little subtle guidance from her. And what of Pi'ilani? Was he player in my mother's sadistic game? Perhaps, even my father's heart-to-heart had been part of the elaborate scheme to build me up and tear me back down.

I remembered all of the promises I had made to Nima. I had told her that I would never leave her or push her away. That night on the rooftop, which suddenly seemed so long ago, I had promised I would do anything and everything to keep us both alive. Now, it was likely that I would have to break all of those promises to save her life. It was clear that my mother would not allow Nima and I to have any sort of relationship beyond ruling Humanity 2.0 together. And, even if I didn't die physically, this deal with the devil would certainly mean the death of my soul.

I searched desperately in my mind and my physical surroundings for a way out of this elaborate trap. But the more I tried, the more I realized that there was no escape. I was completely and utterly defeated. I couldn't look at Nima or my mother as I fell to my knees.