Chapter 2: Hostile Takeover

Eric squirmed impatiently in his seat. Looking over to the driver's side, he saw his father, Joseph, focused on the road. The concentration chiseled on his dad's face remained unchanged even as the wind blew through his long dark hair. Unable to summon such patience himself, Eric sighed and stuck his head out the window.

"Son, sit down. You worry me when you do that."

"Everything I do and this is what worries you?"

"Who says I'm not worried when you're on the job?"

"Please, let's not have this talk again. I'll be fine."

"It's dangerous work. Something could happen to you."

"It's important work. Something could happen to a lot of other people if I weren't—hey!" Eric leaned further out the window. "Did you see that? That guy just cut us off."

"I saw it," assured Joseph.

"And that doesn't bother you?"

"It's fine son."

"If I were on duty I'd so pull that guy over," mumbled Eric as he sat down in his seat and crossed his arms.

"And you wonder why I don't ever let you drive."

"Once my learner permit becomes a driver's license you won't have a choice."

"So you keep reminding me." Joseph sighed. "I just wish you had waited until after you finished high school before doing this superhero thing."

"Why? Did one of my teachers say something about me not applying myself or something again? Because I'm still getting passing grades, and that was the deal."

"No, it's just that you're so young."

"So? I've been doing this for years now. I did ride alongs with the police when I was eleven years old."

"Yeah, about once a month. Ever since you teamed up with Daryl you're out on patrol almost every other night."

"I thought you trusted Daryl?"

"I do, but now you're saying you're part of a sponsored superhero team and you'll be working nearly every night now."

"We're expanding, it's a good thing. And more heroes means I'll be safer than before. You've got less to worry about than—what is this guy waiting for? The light's green moron!"

"Eric..."

"We're gonna get stuck at another red light and—there it is, now we're stuck waiting for another light, all because the guy at the front didn't know green means go."

"I suppose if you were on-duty you'd just run the light?" asked Joseph.

"No, because the chief of police won't sign off on us using emergency lights and sirens. Superheroes who get caught in traffic, it's so stupid."

"Just try to be patient son, we're going to be there soon."

"Hard to be patient when I could have run there on foot by now."

"You shouldn't be in such a hurry all the time Eric."

"Why? Does me being in a hurry worry you too?"

"Honestly, yes. You're so eager to grow up you're going to miss out on some of the best years of your life. It's great you want to save the world, but you should enjoy your life too."

"Being a hero is what I enjoy. I make a difference, and I enjoy that. It's school that's killing me. It's what's causing me to miss out on life."

"Don't be like that. What about that girl you started seeing?"