Chapter 11

Thanks to simplebutawesome for making me a cover! You're greeeeat!

Chapter 11

Corinna’s POV

I winced down at the grade on my physics test, wishing I hadn’t told Flynn that I’d be finding another tutor. I didn’t have time to find another tutor. I needed to bring my grade up now and I had no clue how to solve for v.

It was the end of the school day and Mr. Craft had asked me to stay after class to discuss my physics grade. He’d suggested I get a tutor or else I most likely would fail and have to go to summer school.

I let out a long breath and leaned my head against my locker, crumpling up the paper in my hands in frustration.

“Rough day?”

I jumped at the sound of Jessica’s voice and spun around so quickly that I felt a little dizzy when I finally came face to face with her. “Jesus, you walk like a freaking cat.”

“More like you were lost in your own sad little friendless world. You know what would help? If you accepted the fact that you and I are destined to be besties. Seriously, I waited for you at lunch today but you never showed. Where were you?”

I rolled my eyes and turned to face my locker again. “We’re not besties and I never asked you to wait for me so next time, don’t.”

“Come on Cory, I’m extending a kind invitation here so be a doll and accept it.”

“I’m not going to accept it so just give up.”

“I’m not going to give up.”

“You’re so annoying,” I said quietly, closing my locker once I’d gotten the books I wanted out of it. My eyes rested on the word “BITCH” that someone had written across the door in permanent marker but I barely even saw it anymore. I turned around and gave Jessica a considering look. “Are you any good at physics?” I asked.

She shook her head, giving me a cheerful smile as she looped her arm through mine. “Nope, I suck at physics but I can help you with your chemistry. Come on, Flynn’s waiting for us. He’s good at physics so just ask him.”

I let out a short laugh, feeling my mood darken even further as I thought about what he’d said to me that morning. “I’m not going to ask Flynn, he thinks I’m an idiot so why would he waste his time on me?”

Jessica stopped and tightened her hold on my arm so I was forced to stop too. “He doesn’t think you’re an idiot, Cory.”

“Could’ve fooled me,” I mumbled, pulling on her arm until we started moving again.

We walked in silence for a moment and I glanced down at where our arms were linked, thinking that maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to have a friend but as soon as the thought crossed my mind, I shook it off, knowing I was being ridiculous and pulled my arm from hers.

“Is it that hard?” she asked quietly and I could feel her gaze on me as I stared at the linoleum floor in front of me.

“Physics?” I asked even though I knew what she was talking about.

“Being my friend.”

I shrugged and prepared to give a snarky comment but when I lifted my eyes to hers, the genuine look in their depths made me pause and before I could think about it, I was giving her an honest answer. “I don’t want to drag you into my fucked up life, Jessica.”

A frown appeared on her brow and something like concern flashed in her eyes. “Is it that bad?” she asked after a moment.

I shrugged and pushed the door open, stepping out of the school with a feeling of relief, taking a deep breath of fresh air. Ignoring her question, I walked down the concrete steps towards the parking lot, seeing Flynn leaning against his truck from the corner of my eye but I started moving away from his spot, intent on walking home.