Chapter 8: The First Sign

Mr. Beaumont, Caroline mused a while later as they wended their way through the crowded ballroom to look for Stokeford's whereabouts, was an extremely amiable young man. Superior looks aside, he was quite engaging, had proclaimed their meeting a “delightful coincidence” as he was, he explained, quite looking forward on the prospect of having an introduction with her, inquired graciously how she finds London when Caroline imparted to him the fact of her being new in town, and told her about his recent return from France.  Indeed, she was a little surprised on the knowledge that such vivacious fellow as he was a close relation to the often dyspeptic Lord Stokeford.  Their little chat had ceased the moment they found Stefan standing by the open French doors, throwing surreptitious glances at Sophie who was engaged in a conversation just nearby with one of her acquaintances.

           “Now, there’s our dear Stefan,” remarked Robert with amusement. “I daresay he is just contriving some way how to snatch Miss Winscott right under Lady Railing’s nose.”

          Caroline giggled and Laurie said, “Ah, that’s the fair Miss Winscott, then? Poor cousin. Knowing the Baroness, he hasn’t a chance!”

              It had not taken long before their quarry perceived their presence. But contrary to what Robert said, Stefan was far from being glad to see the threesome; in fact he wore a slight frown the moment they reached his side.

            “Hullo, Stefan! But do you know? I had the pleasure of meeting Miss Davis tonight!” Laurie told him jovially.

            “So I see,” replied his cousin flatly, as though such piece of news was not worth recounting.

          “I was really surprised to learn that Mr. Beaumont is indeed your cousin, my lord!” Caroline exclaimed cheerfully. “Oh, but I daresay I shouldn’t be at all amazed, as I see that he bears some resemblance in you!”

          The Earl seemed to be a little ill-humored tonight, as he settled in answering monosyllables again. “Indeed” seemed to be the only convenient rejoinder for him.

            But Caroline seemed not to mind at all (as she always did), and therefore continued to prattle on until Sophie made an appearance. Introductions were made between her and Mr. Beaumont, who in all graciousness had given Sophie few flatteries, and mused loudly that ‘tis no wonder why his cousin was quite taken with her. 

          The fair Sophie blushed. Stefan looked as if he was eager to reach for his impertinent cousin’s neck.

              The group eventually separated; Laurie had been dragged away by an old acquaintance, Robert led Sophie to the dance floor, Caroline pleaded exhaustion and repaired to the retiring room, and Stefan—well, he was left to his own devices.

            The retiring room was full and Caroline, in vain hopes to find her friend Miss Sutherton there, had retreated the crowded space, wandered aimlessly in a while, until she stumbled into a deserted dimmed corridor. Gladly she embraced the momentary peace, relieved herself the warmness she acquired inside the ballroom, and strolled languidly along. Suddenly, the tranquility was then vanished as she heard the footsteps from behind her, followed by the eerily soft voice:

            “Miss Davis.”

          With an astonished gasp, Caroline spun around, only to be confronted by Lord Randwick who stood barely a foot away.

        “Lord Randwick!” she exclaimed unsteadily. “My, you gave me a start! W-why are you here?” Dismay was laced through her voice, barely concealed that it was little wonder her countenance betrayed the sentiment as much. She had been fairly warned not to be alone with a gentleman ever again, especially one who bore extreme audacity like Lord Randwick.