6. Just Hold Me

I must have stood there with my jaw dropped to the floor, staring like an idiot, for an entire minute. I couldn't believe Liam Payne, the boy who had asked me out all the way back in seventh grade, and then got beaten to bits by my brother, was actually standing in front of me.

I didn't even recognize him at first. He was way taller; obviously he'd matured, but he'd gotten more muscular and broad-shouldered- it was obvious he'd worked hard for this body, but he pulled it off effortlessly. He actually looked like a freaking Abercrombie supermodel, now that he had cut off all his curly brown hair, leaving only a buzz cut. The only thing that made me realize it was him was those sweet brown eyes and shy smile. It was the same shy smile, I realized, that he'd worn so many years ago when he'd asked me out.

"Well?" he countered, smirking a little. I shook myself out of my daze and broke into a smile; I couldn't help it.

"Liam!" I finally could speak. He opened out his arms and I rushed into them, breathing in the smell of his t-shirt. We released from the casual hug quickly, and he drew back and smiled at me again, his brown eyes sparkling.

"How are you?" he asked.

"I'm...," I blanked out. I didn't know what to say. I laughed at myself, gesturing with my hands. "I'm good! I just... wow! I can't believe that you're actually here." He laughed. "How about you?"

"I'm good, my girlfriend's in the bathroom and I'm waiting for her." He jerked his thumb behind him towards the ladies' room.

"Ooh, girlfriend. So you've moved on?" I joked, swatting him playfully.

He rolled his eyes and chuckled. "Yup. Sorry, Amber. After what happened with Louis that day when he kicked my arse for talking to you...,"

"Oh, god," I winced at the memory, flashing him an apologetic smile. "Sorry about that, by the way."

"Eh, it was ancient history," he replied, waving me off.

"Yeah, you seem much better now," I teased, looking him up and down.

"Oh, shut up," Liam smirked.

"So what have you been up to?" I asked, quickly changing the subject as I shifted my bag from one shoulder to the other. "What made you leave so suddenly? Intimidated by my brother?" I said with a smile, trying to make a joke out of it. I really did feel bad, even though it seemed it would be an equal, if not winning fight on Liam's part if he and my brother decided to go at it again. Not that it would ever happen, though.

"Ha-ha. No, actually, I moved to London to try out for X-Factor."

My eyes widened. "Are you kidding me? Liam, that's amazing!"

Unlike me, Louis had an amazing voice. He'd always wanted to try out for The X-Factor, but he'd always been so busy with sports and keeping up his grades so he could get into a good college. Becoming famous was one of his dreams, because he loved being the center of attention. Another thing about him that was totally different from me.

"Thanks." Liam blushed and looked at his shoes. "I didn't make it past tryouts, though. I've been training these past few years to get really, really good, so I can knock their socks off the next time I try out. I'm visiting in Holmes Chapel for a while, because my aunt lives here."

I did a little pout. "For God's sake, it seems like everyone can sing except me. Even my own damn brother can!" I gestured back to where my brother and our friends were, gathered around the crane machine. "And now you? Sheesh. I'd love to hear you sing sometime."

"Thanks. Louis is here?" Liam craned his neck to see if he could spot my brother. Once he did, he smirked and waved. "Looks like he's giving me the evil eye," he laughed, pointing towards Louis who was glaring at both of us, looking like he was contemplating going over here and kicking Liam's ass for the second time. It occurred to me that Louis might not have even recognised him.