18| Pomegranate

Dark themes ahead

Dark themes ahead. Ye be warned.

 Ye be warned

"Gage

"Gage . . . what is going on?"

Her question echoed through my mind repeatedly like a mantra. It was something I've heard from my worst dreams, but now it was my reality. All of this was a complete nightmare that I couldn't escape. I couldn't close my eyes and hope that I would wake up as much as I wanted to. Instead, I had to accept that I was here, in the middle of Katy's ruined bakery, her soul, clinging to her as she sobbed uncontrollably. She came face to face with my greatest demon and he struck, hard.

My first instinct was to run after the fucker and kill him, but when I looked down at Katy, so broken and fragile, I knew I had other things to worry about. Sparrow will live for today.

But as soon as I see him, I swear I'll kill the bastard for what he's done. Debt be damned.

"Gage?" Katy's cracked bright me back from my bloodlust. "W-Why did this happen? What do they want with you?"

I could almost feel my heart split into tiny little pieces at the way she was looking at me now. Someone who I vowed to protect and trusted me, now it was ruined. I promised myself I would never see her look so sad ever again, but now look at what I've done. She was completely shattered beyond belief like the bits of glass scattered across her floor. I still remember what Lamar said to me yesterday about her going through so much in her life, and clearly, this isn't helping. I've made it worse. We were both thrown into a nightmare we couldn't escape, battling for the last bit of light that was ripped from our hands.