Chapter 5

Kiko

"I feel like shit."

Lynn set down a plate of scrambled eggs and bacon in front of me.

"Eat this. You'll feel better."

My stomach gave a hard lurch that had me contemplating running to the bathroom.

Thankfully it settled down again, enough that I thought maybe I could choke down a few bites.

I started off tentatively.

Two bites later, I fell on the food like a starving woman and finished it off almost without chewing.

Lynn silently gave me seconds.

One more plate later and I felt almost like a person.

"Thanks," I said, finishing off the rest of the orange juice.

"You want to tell me what happened?"

"You won't believe me."

She shrugged.

"So tell me an interesting story. At least I'll be entertained."

She rested her elbow on the table and settled her chin in her hand,raising her eyebrows.

"Alright. Fine."

I put everything out there for her, figuring I owed her an explanation. Why not bite the bullet and give her all of it at once.

Besides, it felt good to confide in someone after keeping everything to myself the last couple days.

She sat back in her chair when I was finished.

"Wow. Was not expecting that." She paused thoughtfully. "I think Ranger wants you for keeps."

I stared at her.

"What?" she asked with a shrug.

"That's what you took away from that?" I asked incredulously.

"The way I see it, everything else will sort itself out. Nolan and Ranger aren't idiots and Vishnu is most likely going down. When all that is over, you need to be ready to go toe-to-toe with Ranger. Are you going to move here? Because Ranger kind of needs to be here when he's Second and I doubt he's going to be okay with a long distance relationship. Doesn't strike me as the patient type."

I probably didn't look too bright sitting there with my mouth hanging open.

But I didn't have time to reply to her insanity because Ranger chose that moment to come in.

"I'll talk to you later," she said with a mischievous smile.

I narrowed my eyes at her as she kissed my cheek and waved goodbye to Ranger on her way out.

He sat down across from me, his face serious.

"Is something wrong? I mean, more wrong than it already was?" I asked half-seriously, half-joking.

"Vishnu demanded trial by combat against his accuser."

I rolled my eyes.

"He thinks he can beat you? Everyone knows you haven't challenged him because you're friends and-"

"He named you as his accuser. He wants to fight you."

"Oh."

Well. He had more than a shot at beating me.