Chapter 6

I smacked the alarm to the floor, taking a few labored breaths as I tried to gather myself despite the pounding headache. It didn't work. Why...why hadn't I stopped drinking? Tyra had brought me more and more, and I had smiled thankfully each fucking time. I was going to kill her. Then I remembered that I hadn't actually gained any new friends yesterday. It would be stupid of me to get rid of the one I did have.

"Dylan?" Lily asked tentatively. I looked up and saw her standing in the doorway with a glass of water, holding a packet of Advil in the other.

"You are the sweetest brat there is," I said, stretching out my hand toward the relief.

"Should I ask Mom to drive?"

"No, I'll be fine," I said before gulping down the cold water, leaving me feeling a bit better and a great deal fresher. A dry mouth with a taste of stale, old beer wasn't really one of my favorites.

I dragged myself to the shower and stood there, letting the water bring me to life. Unbidden thoughts rushed through my mind, playing the scene over and over again. I hit my head in the wall over and over again, trying not to think about him. He wasn't worth it. I should have listened to Mike. The guy didn't deserve my attention.

After a slightly unsteady drive to school, I found myself inside one of the bathrooms, letting out a piece of yesterday. I noted the bell, shrieking loudly in my sensitive ears. Forcing myself up on my feet, I went out of the booth and flushed my face in more water. Looking at myself I realized resembled a zombie. My eyes red, my skin gray. I thought of skipping class, but that wouldn't be a very promising start of a new year at a new school. I took a deep breath, steadied myself and walked out—out into the busy corridor, filled with people I didn't know, people I couldn't care less about.

"Hey, Dylan!" I heard Tyra's far too happy shriek from the far end. Her happiness wasn't as contagious today, or perhaps I wasn't as receptive.  I managed to send her a half-hearted grin and that was apparently enough.

"I'm so sorry Dyl, I don't know what came over me. I won't do that again." She sounded sorry, but I couldn't determine if she was sorry for real or just a little bit sarcastic.

"You're right you won't," I growled, which made her laugh. So, she definitely wasn't sorry. That made me smile for real. Cheeky girl.

"I would beware if I were you," I said, grinning evilly.

"Let's go to class Grumpy-cat." She poked my ribs with a sharp elbow.

"Aouch, care to un-sharpen that one?" I huffed and wrapped my arms protectively around me.

"See, you're the one who should be afraid of me, not the other way around." She wiggled her eyebrows, and I almost forgot about my worries. She was a good distraction. Even so, I just grumbled something un-intelligible, slouched my shoulders in protest and followed her to class. Mornings really weren't for me, especially after a night out, drinking myself senseless. 

As we walked into the classroom I noted a few chairs vacant, obviously I wasn't the only one feeling a little sorry for myself this morning. I sat down next to Tyra, opened the tattered book that lay on my desk and flipped the pages mindlessly. A classic, how great... Crime and Punishment, who gives a book like that to teenagers on their first lesson of the day. Someone with a death-wish?

I let my eyes wander through the classroom, noting one or two I'd seen yesterday throughout classes. I recognized Sebastian sitting in the back, his dark hair hiding his eyes. I admitted I was quite intrigued with that boy. He looked so frightened, like he was trying to hide in plain sight. I decided I would find out what kind of guy he was. He reminded me a bit of Jonah, a friend from back home. If he was anything like my old friend, I would cuddle him to pieces when no one was around.