cinq

Neil woke up the next morning, expecting to see Todd lying in his own bed on the other side of the room, the same way he found him every other morning. When he found that there were no signs of Todd anywhere, Neil began panicking; overthinking. Did he not return to Welton at all from last night? Neil jumped out of bed, calling for Charlie and Knox. They had to at least know a thing or two about Todd's whereabouts.

"Todd?" Charlie was laughing, "No clue. Haven't seen him since last night."

Charlie's sarcastic tone made it seem as if he were playing around with Neil. Knowing that he wouldn't get any better answers from anyone else, Neil decided to calm himself down and try not to overthink. There was no way Todd would be with Alice right now.

* * *

"So, exactly what were you thinking of getting him, Todd?"

"I-I don't know," he replied, as if in panic, "I'm afraid that's why I needed you to accompany me. What are you getting him?"

Alice stopped at one of the shop windows, her eyes glued to a particular item on display. She stepped closer to it, a smile growing on her face. Todd followed her gaze fixed on a gold watch in the centre of all displays.

"I was thinking of getting him a watch. Seems a little too simple, but Charlie told me Neil was in need of a new watch after breaking one just recently."

"So, if you're getting him a watch.... What should I get him?"

Alice grinned, her eyes shifting from the glass window containing watches to the other side of the shopping centre. She looked at Todd, eyes lighting up in awe.

"You know what, Todd? I know exactly what you could get him."

Todd, without questioning Alice, followed after her. He had no idea where she was taking him, and worried about what crazy idea must have popped into her head that moment. Todd decided he'd question her aloud when they stopped in front of a Robert & Anderson's Bookstore. It was the store Todd least expected Alice to take him to. Neil never mentioned anything about reading.

"A bookstore? A-Alice, are you sure Neil would like a book for his birthday?"

Alice, rather puzzled, looked at Todd with her smile slightly faltering. "Todd, I wasn't thinking of getting him just any book. Has Neil told you about what he'd like to pursue in the future?"

"Well," he started, "He did mention something like med school. But he did also try out for that play. Were you thinking of getting him a playbook, Alice?"

"I was thinking you could get him a nice collection of William Shakespeare's sonnets or something. I think he'd really appreciate it, Todd. He does love his Shakespeare."

Todd entered the bookstore after Alice, who started looking through the shelves for books labelled with William Shakespeare. After speaking with Neil the night before, she was persuaded that his dream to be an actor needed more support from family and friends. She glanced at her watch a second before passing one of the leather-bound books to Todd.

"I'm not quite sure how I'd explain my lateness, but I guess I'll have to find an excuse before I get there." she chuckled, watching as Todd studied the book in his hands. At first, Todd wasn't so sure Neil would like a Shakespeare book for his birthday, but he trusted Alice. After all, Alice was probably the person who spent the most time with Neil.

"I like it," Todd finally said, "I actually like this idea, Alice. It's simple, but it's nice and thoughtful."

"I think Neil will love it. Twice as much, since it's coming from a friend like you."

* * *

Todd arrived late to his first class that day. He was so thankful and relieved he had Mr Keating, and no other teacher in Welton that morning. No other teacher would understand, and would probably ring up his parents regarding Todd's lateness.

"You're late." Neil whispered, writing down what Mr. Keating had written on the board. His words came out as a low growl, though it was unintentional. He wasn't angry at Todd, nor was he angry at Alice. He was only worried and confused about what was happening between two of the closest people to him.

"Yeah," Todd replied, "It's too hard to explain."

Todd began writing what had been on the board, and paused when he realised Neil had been staring him  the entire time. Todd began worrying that his friend had suspected something, although he was aware that this may be the result of speaking to Alice. Todd tried his best to ignore and avoid his stare, acting as though he could see none of it. He was bad enough at lying and keeping secrets from people. All he needed to do was keep a secret until the end of the day. It didn't seem too difficult at all.

Alice and Todd made the plan that they'd give their birthday gifts to Neil on the hour that the Dead Poets meet. The meeting was going to take place exactly fourteen hours from now. Todd wiped away his sweat, his eyes glued to the clock. He had to try to keep his mouth shut for at least fourteen more hours.

"Are you sure you're okay, Todd?" Charlie laughed, as the boys began packing away their books. It was finally time for their break, and Todd had been hoping to take that as a chance to create distance between him and his best friend, Neil. Todd couldn't trust himself around Neil without spoiling the surprise. The last thing he wanted to do was to disappoint Alice and ruin the surprise they worked hard on planning.

"I-I'm fine. Really."

Todd didn't intend to stutter, but this did earn the attention of his friends. A couple of them simply raised a brow, but Charlie visibly nudged Neil. None of the boys seemed to have been persuaded.

"You know what? I'm going to study quietly...in the library." Todd said, leaving the classroom quickly.

"You will? We'll come with you."

Todd had never felt so stressed out in his life. He turned to his friends, shaking his head. The offended expressions on their faces only made him feel more guilty than he already felt.

"I'd rather study alone today... Maybe next time."

As Todd continued walking down the hallway, Charlie leaned over Neil's way, whispering in his ear: "I'm sorry I doubted you, but I do believe something is going on between our Todd and your girl, Alice."