Seven

By the next morning I had finished the whole book. I closed my eyes a bit just as the guard had just tapped the cell doors. I stood up looking like a zombie.

"Jesus didn't you get any sleep?" Danny asked putting out his cigarette.

"No, thanks to you and your book."

"But I mean it was good wasn't it." He smirked.

I rolled my eyes at him and walked out the cell door as they opened.

They let us out for breakfast. Danny and I sat at our usual spot smoking a cigarette.

"So you really gonna do this?" He asked randomly.

"Guess so."

"It's not worth, no girl is."

"Says the virgin." I laughed.

"Fuck you." He laughed.

A guard came to us.

"You, let's go."

I flicked my cigarette away and went with the guard to Alysha's office again. I went inside and sat down in the chair. She was on the phone. Her hair was natural today and she was wearing a white blouse with a black pencil skirt. She got off the phone and smiled at me.

"Hey there."

"Hi."

"So what do you want to talk about today?"

"I have another favor to ask."

"You know I'd love to help you but-"

"Escape with me."

"What?" She said surprised.

"I know this sounds crazy but help me get out so I can talk to Danielle."

"It does sound pretty crazy." She laughed.

"I just need to talk to her so she could maybe tell me what happened. Then we can just leave together. You hate it here anyways."

"I-" Her phone interrupted her.

"Hi Mike."

She was trying to be quiet but I knew it was her fiancé.

"Listen I'm with a patient at the moment can I call you back?"  She quickly hung up.

"Was that him?"

She sighed. "Yes, Mike's my fiancé. So you see I can't just drop everything."

"Alysha, we both know we have a thing for each other. As crazy as it seems. I made up my mind on this. And I had just hoped that I could start over with someone I love. I know love has never worked out for me in the past but, god whenever I see you or just when I'm in your presence I feel so at ease and happy. I can't help but stare and smile, admiring every detail every day. Yes I'm a criminal and crazy I guess, but no pill can make me feel the way you do. You're my cure."

She tried hiding a tear with a smile. "Gosh my marriage proposal wasn't even that touching."

I laughed. "Listen, I can't promise much but I do promise that I'd make every day an adventure. So this isn't necessarily a marriage proposal but a promise to wanting to spend the rest of your life with me."

"You're right I do like you, a lot. I am a bit crazy as they claim you are. Our lives are both complicated and fucked up and yeah I'd like to go out and go crazy."

I smiled at her.

"But-"

"My smile began to fade.