Story 2: Final Stand

National Aeronautics and Space Administration, also known as NASA. From when I was a little kid, that was where I wanted to work. I had always been amazed at the vastness of space. It's beauty and boundless mystery captivated me the moment I saw my first star. I wanted to see it all, but it would soon prove o be impossible, for more reasons than one. I didn't know at the time that my curiosity would lead to the greatest feeling of regret I would ever know.

-Last Blissful Day-
-8 Days until impact-

My eyes slowly began to open. I rose my head from my pillow, sitting up on my bed. The sun's golden light shone upon my face, making me squint my eyes from its brightness. It was such a peaceful morning. I heard birds singing outside, whistling their carefree songs, spreading their joy. I looked at my clock, which read 12:38. I must have slept really well last night. I went to the kitchen and made some coffee, then brought it to the living room to watch TV. I was just in time for the new episode of my favorite show.

I watched it for a bit and finished my coffee. I was feeling less sleepy by the second, and I started thinking... This show is great... I'm glad I didn't have to record it this time... I continued watching, beginning to think more. Hold on... This is a new episode... why is it on on a Sunday? My eyes shot open as I realized what was going on. This episode wasn't on on a Sunday... because it wasn't Sunday. "Oh no." I said to myself. "Oh, no, no, no, no, no... It's Monday... and I had to be at work four hours ago.

I hurried back to my room, got changed into my work clothes, and rushed out the door. I got in my car, stepping on the gas. "I am so fired."

--

I speed-walked through the facility, only to see people scattered around the building, as if they were cars during rush hour. I maneuvered through the crowd, wondering what was going on, and made my way to my desk. Everyone else seemed to be working furiously, typing and clicking without a second of hesitation. I logged on my computer to see that I had recieve an email two hours ago. I opened it and read over its contents.

"A meteor was discovered on a collison course with Earth, dubbed 'The Endbringer' by the one who discovered it, Norman Tidus. It is expected to hit within eight days, unless something is done to stop it. Our current plan is to send a massive warhead into space and detonate it near the meteor, sending it off course. This plan, however, is not guaranteed to work. The warhead must be at least half the size of New York, and it must be ready for launch within four days, or else the meteor would be too close to Earth, meaning the explosion would not be enough to stop it. This is the only plan good enough to actually work, and it may seem impossible, but the we have our best people working on it. If we put everything we have into this mission, Earth may live to see another day. We haven't any time to lose. Please begin to work as soon as possible."

The message was hard to believe at first. There was no way it could be true. If this was real, why wasn't it discovered sooner? Surely someone would have noticed a meteor of this size sooner...

It didn't make any sense, but the other workers' panic and distress was more than enough to make me realize how true it actually was. If something isn't done... everyone I love will disappear.

I immediately got to work on my calculations. I would stop at nothing to protect this planet.

--

I had to work a lot later than usual. It was almost midnight by the time I got home, and my wife and daughter had already gone to sleep. I had a small meal before finally going to sleep.