Chapter 7: Claudia Henley

Brooke

"What are you doing here, Claudia?"

I'm about to excuse myself from the conversation, but Linc's expression stops me in my tracks. He's glaring at the beautiful blonde - his mouth turned down at the corners; his arms crossed. And he's moved so that he's standing closer to me.

Tension emanates from him, yet Claudia smiles serenely. Unperturbed. "I came here to talk to you, of course."

"Of course," Linc mutters. "How did you get back here?"

"Kane let me through."

"I wish he hadn't."

"Is that any way to talk to your future wife?"

A small gasp escapes me, but both ignore me.

"Don't start, Claudia."

"I'm not starting anything. I need to talk to you."

The two of them are intent on staring at each other, and I'm clearly not needed here anymore. My gut is churning with the thought Linc might be getting married. Which is ridiculous. I shouldn't care he's engaged, or feel deceived because I didn't know.

"I need to get back to work," I say, interrupting the moment.

"I'm sorry, Brooke," Linc says turning to me, regret in his eyes. "I have to go."

"Of course."

He doesn't need to apologise. This is his fiancée.

"I'll catch you later."

"Tell me," Claudia says as she walks away with Linc, his hand on the small of her back. "Do you always apologise to your staff for leaving them alone?"

"Just leave it, Claudia."

Jemma mentioned yesterday that Linc doesn't do girlfriends, and Kane mentioned today that Linc only loves his club, but Claudia Henley referred to herself as Linc's future wife, so Kane and Jemma both have it wrong, don't they?

On the way back to the bar, I keep telling myself it's none of my business. The gnawing in my gut and mental spinning out I'm doing over the idea that Linc is engaged needs to stop right now. I can't afford to care that Linc is getting married. He's my boss and my dance teacher, and he'll never be anything more.

It's just that I can't stop replaying the way Linc looked at Claudia when she first spoke to him. It was as though...he really doesn't like her.

***

Linc

"Who is she?" Claudia asks as we walk towards my office.

"Who?"

"Don't play dumb with me, Lincoln. The girl you were just talking to, who is she?"

"Brooke's one of my new bartenders."

And my new accountant, hopefully.

Which is the only reason I'm not completely freaking out over the fact Brooke heard some of my conversation with Claudia. Brooke will know everything about this club and my contract with my parents soon enough. I also trust Brooke. I'm positive she won't say anything to anyone. That doesn't mean I don't wish I'd had time to explain things to her before Claudia showed up and introduced herself as my future wife.

Claudia glances at me. "Is that all?"

"Not that it's any of your business, but yes."

"Actually, it is my business. We'll be married within the year, and I don't need her running to the press and telling them every depraved thing you've done to her."