Her Lips, Her Eyes, Where Do I Begin

Sam POV
Oh My God, she's perfect. It's the only word I can use to describe how amazing she really is.
My hand is still on the small of her back, her hands are in my hair.
It could've been like this the whole time.
It should've been like this the whole time.

Our lips are moments apart, it's only been like this for a few seconds but I could swear it was a lifetime.

I move my hand from her face to her waist, I pick her up and place her on the table, slowly, deliberately keeping eye contact. She pulls me closer kissing me with the same hunger as before. Her legs wrapping around my hips, keeping me in place. She pulls back gasping for air, I start leaving little butterfly kisses along her jaw. Maude lift her head, giving me full access to her neck, the kisses become less gentle. I start sucking and biting on Maude's neck leaving in my wake a flutter love bites.

But I stop, I can't do this. This isn't how it was meant to be. Maude's looking at me with a confused look in her eye. Oh god how to I explain this without sounding like an idealistic little shit.

"What's wrong Sam?" Maude inquires, her Australian lilt playing with my heart strings.

"I can't do this, at least not like this. This was never how it was meant to be." I try to explain myself

"Sam what are you talking about? Meant to be? You say meant to be like it didn't take you until me walking out of that door" she's pointing towards the office door which separated us from the rest of the office "for you to pluck up the courage to actually kiss me, off camera. So don't tell me this isn't what you wanted."

"I never said I didn't want this, I said I didn't want it like this. I want to romance you and take you to dinner and make you feel like the queen you are. I didn't want us to make out in the office before you left. I don't want this to be it either. I have spent the last, god knows how long thinking of the millions of different ways I could ask you to dinner, how long I have pictured you meeting my parents at Thanksgiving." I'm somehow out of breath and shaking, I know I've said too much but I couldn't live with myself if she thought I was only going to make out with her the day she left. 

"Sam" When she says my name my heart still flutters the exact same way it did when I first met her. She repeats my name a few more times while runs her hands through her hair. " Don't you think I know that, don't you think me joking about our ship name a little too often and casually sitting to close to you was really just nothing. Do you think I haven't thought of the million different ways this could happen?" She places her hands on my face "I've wanted nothing more than you, I didn't care when, well I had hoped it would've been before now but I just wanted you I didn't care how."

"Is that how you still feel?" I didn't need to ask but I felt it was necessary considering we've managed to create quite the space between us considered to what it was like moments ago.

Maude starts to answer my question just as Steve bursts into the room, well he just opened the door but at the current moment in time you could probably have cut the tension in the room with a knife, "Maude!" Steve smiles in acknowledgement towards me but he's still talking to Maude, "you know there's still a ton of cake out here, do you want me to box it up or do you want to leave it as an act of good will?" it's obvious in his tone which option he's pushing for but I doubt he'd resist if Maude didn't pick his choice.

"Do you think I'm a monster?" Maude laughs back to him "Of course I'm not taking the cake, it's  just me at home and I doubt I'd be able to dent it before it goes stale" I can't help but feel like there's a subtle dig in there but I don't say anything and Steve says something that I'm not zoned in to hear but Maude's picking up her laptop. I turn and double check Steve has disappeared.

"Tonight, I'm taking you to dinner. It's on me. I'll pick you up at 7." I'm shaking and I'm sure it didn't sound as cool as I imagined it to be in my head. Maude does look startled but she goes with it and kisses my cheek telling me she'll see me then.

Fuck! What the hell was I thinking. I don't know where to go for dinner but I'm also ready to pass out with ecstasy .