Part 17

"We have too keep him alert, Emma," Liam says in a shattered voice as he's on the phone with an operator.

Emma's heart feels like it has stopped in her chest as panic rushes through her blood from fear that's he's passed out. She grabs the lapel of his shirt, gently shaking him.

"Stay with us, Killian," she begs, the tears streaming down her cheeks. Her emotions start to cloud her judgment and she's desperate to get him to open his eyes. "You have to stay with us... you're going to be a daddy... your baby needs you... I need you," she breathes, as she feels Liam's eyes burning into her.

"You're pregnant?" Liam asks her in shock.

She manages a nod as she cups Killian's cheeks in her hands. She can feel him breathing, which keeps her somewhat at ease. "I just found out and I haven't told anyone yet, so please don't say anything."

Liam promises with a nod and takes Killian's hand in his. "Hang on little brother. The ambulance is on their way."

"Come on, Killian, stay with us," she says again, lowering her mouth to his. She stays like that, her lips pressed to his, not moving, just needing to feel his breathing against her.

After a minute, she slowly lifts her face as she and Liam wait in a painful silence. Knowing that she could lose her precious Killian is a hundred times worse than having a gun to her head. It hurts so much, she can't find the strength in her to even breathe.

"It's younger brother."

He speaks out of nowhere in a low, raspy voice and her heart feels as though it's flutterering to life again.

A smile blossoms over her face as his eyes flutter open. His baby blues give her a reason to breathe as he looks up at her.

Liam chuckles, relief in his demeanor as he speaks. "My apologies younger brother, but it serves you right for giving as a scare like that."

Before she can even wonder if he's heard the part about being her pregnant, the alarm of the ambulance sounds as it pulls in front of the bakery.

The paramedics run to him and she is forced to part with him as they prepare to lift him up on the gurney. Only one person can ride in the ambulance with him, so Liam offers her the spot.

"You go with him. I'll be right behind you," Liam assures her.

"Thank you," she says graciously with a nod before she gets in the ambulance.

She sits in the waiting room with Liam for what feels like an eternity. Her parents, Henry and Leo join them after a while and Liam is pacing nervously back and forth as David and Mary Maraget rub her back in soothing circles. Her cheeks are stained with tears and her shirt is stained with Killian's blood as she rests her chin in her hands, staring off into space. She's been there for hours and has no idea how Killian is doing.

She can no longer contain herself as she stands up, approaching Liam. His eyes are red and puffy, most likely identical to hers. His expression is unreadable and just watching him makes her anxious. Suddenly he stops and looks at her from a few feet away. Strings are pulling at her heart as they exchange gutted glances.

Finally he moves again and takes her off guard when he walks up to her and pulls her into a big hug. She instinctively wraps her arms around his back, resting her cheek on his shoulder.

"He's going to be okay," she whispers but is mostly trying to convince herself of that. His face his buried in the crook of her neck as he lets out soft cries and she feels her own tears reaching the surface again.

"I can't lose him, Emma."

"I know. Me neither."

He tightens his hold on her and she can hardly breathe but she doesn't care. The comfort she feels is slowly relaxing her as she grips onto him for support. They just stand there in the others' embrace until a doctor finally reaches the waiting room.