II: His Butler | | Conceited

"My, oh my, Jasper," said Ezzelin as he glanced over to his smirking butler. "You did quite the number on Countess Rosa and her chauffeur; what did you do with the daughter I had half-wondered to myself before I read last week's paper."

Jasper laughed. "I take it you're pleased then?"

Ezzelin chuckled and sat down the newspaper. "Though I don't think you should've went so far as to mutilate the Countess' remains. Ripping open her abdomen and placing the child back inside; how horrendous of you."

Jasper bowed. "It was a bit of a humiliation offerin--."

Ezzelin raised his hand, stopping Jasper mid-sentence. "She didn't see your face, did she?"

Jasper shook his head. "No, my lord; Camilla was slumbering soundlessly when I attacked the carriage."

"Marvelous. Well I am done speaking with you for now. Would you care to tarry about in the kitchen and prepare something for breakfast?"

"Anything specific in taste that you fancy, my lord?"

"Surprise me." Ezzelin said as his silver-haired butler bowed and exited the room.

Once out of sight, Ezzelin picked back up the newspaper and laughed cynically to himself. "Oh quite a tremendous death for the carriage driver---a torn apart jaw and a seven inch laceration across his gut, spilling out his innards. How glorious!" He sipped from his morning tea, imported from India, and smiled. "Well done, Jasper, well done."

"Young master, Jasper wished for me to deliver your breakfast to you this morning." Anita said as she rolled the silver cart over to Ezzelin's glossy chestnut desk.

"Where did he leave to, Anita?" he asked, as he examined the two plates the blonde maid had placed before him. One containing his cup of fine black coffee and the other containing his fette biscottate---a cookie-like hard bread---with blueberry jam.

"He did not say, young master; I'm sorry." she said as she bowed. "Do you need anything else?"

Ezzelin shook his head and waved, dismissively. "No, but thank you, Anita. Feel free to help yourself to a nice breakfast this morning as well."

"Yes, Lord Ezzelin. Thank you." With that said, the friendly blonde left the room.

The brown-haired boy sighed and picked up his coffee cup, stood from his chair and stared out the window, just as a carriage was pulling up into his line of sight---into the drive of the Mondadori manor.

Who could they be? he wondered to himself as he sipped from his hot, bitter beverage and sighed, his eyes closed and eyebrows furrowed in frustration. "I suppose we shall find out soon enough." he whispered to himself as he sat back down in his chair and examined a letter that had arrived just this morning.

*****

There was a sudden knock at his door as his second butler spoke up from behind it:

"My lord, you have a visitor by the name of Ciel Phantomhive. He is awaiting your presence at the front door."

Ezzelin raised an inquiring eyebrow as he placed his pen down on the parchment he was writing on. "Ciel . . . Phantomhive?" Standing from his chair, he walked to the door. Opening it, he stared at the elderly butler with a confused expression. "Who is he?"

The butler bowed and gestured a smooth, white-gloved hand down the corridor. "I do not know, myself, my lord. I shall accompany you to the door though, considering Jasper is absent as of the current moment." he said with a kind, wrinkled smile.