1.

The Demon Lover

By

Victoria Holt

1.
It was a hot June day when I dis­co­ve­red my fat­her's sec­ret which was to chan­ge the who­le co­ur­se of my li­fe, as well as his. I shall ne­ver for­get the hor­ror that grip­ped me. The sun was bril­li­ant, mer­ci­less, it se­emed. It had be­en the hot­test June for ye­ars. I sat the­re watc­hing him. He se­emed to ha­ve grown ten ye­ars ol­der in the spa­ce of a few mi­nu­tes, and as he tur­ned his eyes to me I saw the des­pa­ir in them, the sud­den re­le­asing of pre­ten­ce. He knew that he co­uld no lon­ger hi­de this tra­gedy from me.
It was ine­vi­tab­le that I sho­uld be the one to dis­co­ver it. I had al­ways be­en clo­ser to him than an­yo­ne el­se even my mot­her when she had be­en ali­ve. I un­ders­to­od him in all his mo­ods. I knew the exul­ta­ti­on of the cre­ati­ve ar­tist, the stri­ving, the frust­ra­ti­ons. The man I knew in this stu­dio was dif­fe­rent from the gent­le, rat­her un­comp­li­ca­ted hu­man be­ing he be­ca­me out­si­de it. Of co­ur­se it was the stu­dio which cla­imed the gre­ater part of him. It was his li­fe. He had be­en bro­ught up to it. From the age of fi­ve, in this very ho­use -which had be­en the ho­me of the Col­li­sons for a hund­red ye­ars he had co­me to the stu­dio to watch his own fat­her work. The­re was a story in the fa­mily that when he was fo­ur ye­ars old they had tho­ught he was lost and his nur­se had fo­und him he­re pa­in­ting on a pi­ece of vel­lum with one of his fat­her's fi­nest sab­le brus­hes.
Collison was a na­me in the art world. It was al­ways as­so­ci­ated with the pa­in­ting of mi­ni­atu­res, and the­re co­uld not be a col­lec­ti­on of any no­te in Euro­pe which did not con­ta­in at le­ast one Col­li­son.
The pa­in­ting of mi­ni­atu­res was a tra­di­ti­on in our fa­mily. My fat­her had sa­id that it was a ta­lent which was pas­sed down thro­ugh the ge­ne­ra­ti­ons and to be­co­me a gre­at pa­in­ter one must be­gin in one's crad­le. So it had be­en with the Col­li­sons. They had be­en pa­in­ting mi­ni­atu­res sin­ce the se­ven­te­enth cen­tury. Our an­ces­tor had be­en a pu­pil of Isa­ac Oli­ver, who in his turn had be­en a pu­pil of no­ne ot­her than the fa­mo­us Eli­za­bet­han mi­ni­atu­rist Ni­co­las Hil­li­ard.
Until this ge­ne­ra­ti­on the­re had al­ways be­en a son to fol­low his fat­her and carry on not only the tra­di­ti­on but the na­me. My fat­her had fa­iled in this; and all he had be­en ab­le to pro­du­ce was a da­ugh­ter- myself.
It must ha­ve be­en a gre­at di­sap­po­int­ment to him, alt­ho­ugh he ne­ver men­ti­oned it. He was a very gent­le man out­si­de the stu­dio, as I ha­ve sa­id, and was al­ways cons­ci­o­us of ot­her pe­op­le's fe­elings; he was rat­her slow of spe­ech be­ca­use he we­ig­hed his words be­fo­re ut­te­ring them and con­si­de­red the ef­fect they wo­uld ha­ve on ot­hers. It was dif­fe­rent when he wor­ked. Then he was comp­le­tely pos­ses­sed; he for­got me­al ti­mes, ap­po­int­ments, com­mit­ments of any sort. So­me­ti­mes I tho­ught he wor­ked fe­ve­rishly be­ca­use he be­li­eved he was go­ing to be the last of the Col­li­sons. Now he was be­gin­ning to re­ali­ze that this might not be so, for I too had dis­co­ve­red the fas­ci­na­ti­on of the brush, the vel­lum and the ivory. I was te­ac­hing myself to carry on the fa­mily tra­di­ti­on.
I was go­ing to show my fat­her that a da­ugh­ter was not to be des­pi­sed and co­uld do as well as any son. That was one of the re­asons why I ga­ve myself up to the joy of pa­in­ting. The ot­her far mo­re im­por­tant was be­ca­use, ir­res­pec­ti­ve of my sex, I had in­he­ri­ted the de­si­re to pro­du­ce that int­ri­ca­te lim­ning. I had the ur­ge and I ven­tu­red to think the ta­lent to com­pe­te with any of my an­ces­tors.
My fat­her, at this ti­me, was in his la­te for­ti­es. He lo­oked yo­un­ger be­ca­use of his very cle­ar blue eyes and un­tidy ha­ir. He was tall I had he­ard him cal­led lanky and very thin, which ma­de him se­em a trif­le un­ga­inly. It surp­ri­sed pe­op­le, I think, that from this rat­her clumsy man co­uld co­me tho­se de­li­ca­te mi­ni­atu­res.
His na­me was Ken­dal. The­re had be­en Ken­dals in the fa­mily for ge­ne­ra­ti­ons. Ye­ars ago a girl from the La­ke Dist­rict had mar­ri­ed in­to the fa­mily and the na­me ca­me from her birthp­la­ce. It was a tra­di­ti­on that all the men sho­uld ha­ve na­mes be­gin­ning with K and the let­ters KC. etc­hed in a cor­ner so small that they we­re ba­rely per­cep­tib­le we­re the hal­lmark of tho­se fa­mo­us mi­ni­atu­res. It had ca­used a cer­ta­in amo­unt of con­fu­si­on as to which Col­li­son had exe­cu­ted the pa­in­ting, and it had of­ten be­en ne­ces­sary to work out the da­te from the pe­ri­od and the su­bj­ect.
My fat­her had re­ma­ined un­mar­ri­ed un­til he was thirty. He was the sort of man who was inc­li­ned to thrust asi­de anyt­hing that might dist­ract him from his work. Thus, with mar­ri­age, too, alt­ho­ugh he was well awa­re of his duty rat­her li­ke that of a mo­narch to pro­du­ce the he­ir to carry on the fa­mily tra­di­ti­on.
It was only when he went to the se­at of the Earl of Langs­ton in Glo­uces­ters­hi­re that the de­si­re to marry be­ca­me so­met­hing ot­her than a duty to the fa­mily. He had be­en en­ga­ged by the Earl to pa­int mi­ni­atu­res of the Co­un­tess and her two da­ugh­ters, Lady Jane and Lady Kat­he­ri­ne known as Lady Kitty. He al­ways sa­id that the mi­ni­atu­re of Lady Kitty was the best work he had ever do­ne.
"There was lo­ve in it," he com­men­ted. He was very sen­ti­men­tal.
Well, the out­co­me was ro­man­tic but of co­ur­se the Earl had ot­her ide­as for his da­ugh­ter. He had no ap­pre­ci­ati­on of art; he me­rely wan­ted a Col­li­son mi­ni­atu­re be­ca­use he had he­ard that "This Col­li­son is a go­od man'.
"A Phi­lis­ti­ne," my fat­her had cal­led him. He tho­ught ar­tists we­re ser­vants to be pat­ro­ni­zed by men of we­alth. Mo­re­over, he had ho­pes of a du­ke for his da­ugh­ter.
But it tur­ned out that Lady Kitty was a girl who li­ked to ha­ve her own way and she had fal­len as de­eply in lo­ve with the ar­tist as he had with her. So they elo­ped and Lady Kitty was in­for­med by her ira­te fat­her that the ga­tes of­Langs­ton Cast­le we­re clo­sed to her fo­re­ver mo­re.
Since she had had the folly to be­co­me Kitty Col­li­son, she wo­uld ha­ve no furt­her con­nec­ti­on with The fa­mily of­Langs­ton.
Lady Kitty the­re­upon snap­ped her fin­gers and pre­pa­red for what, to her, must ha­ve be­en the humb­le li­fe at Col­li­son Ho­use.
A ye­ar af­ter the mar­ri­age I ma­de my dra­ma­tic ent­ran­ce in­to the world, ca­using a gre­at de­al of tro­ub­le and cos­ting Lady Kitty her ne­ver very ro­bust he­alth. When she be­ca­me a se­mi-inva­lid and unab­le to be­ar mo­re child­ren, the di­sast­ro­us truth had to be fa­ced: the only one was a girl and it se­emed as tho­ugh that was the end of the Col­li­son li­ne.
Not that I was ever al­lo­wed to fe­el that I was a di­sap­po­int­ment. I dis­co­ve­red it for myself when I le­ar­ned of the fa­mily tra­di­ti­ons and be­ca­me fa­mi­li­ar with the big stu­dio and its enor­mo­us win­dows pla­ced so as to catch the strong and se­arc­hing north light.
I le­ar­ned a gre­at de­al from ser­vants' gos­sip, for I was an avid lis­te­ner and I qu­ickly re­ali­zed that I co­uld le­arn mo­re of what I wan­ted to know thro­ugh them than I ever co­uld by as­king my pa­rents.
"The Langs­tons al­ways had a job get­ting sons. My ni­ece is up the­re in ser­vi­ce with so­me co­usins of the­irs. She says it's a grand pla­ce.
Fifty ser­vants . no less . and that just for the co­untry. Her ladys­hip wasn't me­ant for this sort of li­fe. "
"Do you think she has reg­rets?"
"Oh, I rec­kon. Must do. All them balls and tit­les and things ... Why, she co­uld ha­ve mar­ri­ed a du­ke."
"Yet, he's a true gent­le­man ... I will say that for him."
"Oh yes, I'll grant you that. But he's just a sort of tra­des­man ... sel­ling things. Oh, I know they're pic­tu­res and that's so­me­how sup­po­sed to be dif­fe­rent... but they're still things ... and he's sel­ling them. It ne­ver works ... step­ping out­si­de. Class and all that. And the­re's no son, is the­re? All they've got is that Miss Ka­te."
"She's got her wits abo­ut her, no mis­ta­ke. A bit of a ma­dam, that one."
"Don't re­al­ly ta­ke af­ter eit­her of them."
"Do you know what I rec­kon? He ought to ha­ve mar­ri­ed a strong yo­ung wo­man ... his own class ... A lady, of co­ur­se ... squ­ire's da­ugh­ter or so­met­hing ... He went too high, he did. Then she co­uld ha­ve had a baby every ye­ar till she got this son what co­uld le­arn all abo­ut pa­in­ting.
That's how it ought to ha­ve be­en. It's what you get for mar­rying out of yo­ur class."
"Do you think he minds." "Co­ur­se he minds. He wan­ted a son. And bet­we­en you and me her ladys­hip don't think all that much of this pa­in­ting. Well, if it hadn't be­en for the pa­in­ting he'd ne­ver ha­ve met her, wo­uld he? And who's to say that mightn't ha­ve be­en for the bes;.?"
So I le­ar­ned.
At the ti­me I dis­co­ve­red the sec­ret a ye­ar had pas­sed sin­ce my mot­her had di­ed. That was a gre­at blow to our ho­use­hold. She had be­en very be­a­uti­ful and both my fat­her and I had be­en con­tent to sit and lo­ok at her. She had worn blu­es which matc­hed her eyes and her tea gowns we­re dra­pe­ri­es most be­co­mingly trim­med with la­ce and rib­bons. Be­ca­use she had be­en a se­mi-inva­lid sin­ce my birth, I felt a cer­ta­in res­pon­si­bi­lity for that; but I con­so­led myself that she enj­oyed lying on her so­fa and re­ce­iving pe­op­le, li­ke a qu­e­en at her co­uc­her. She had what she cal­led her 'go­od days'; then she wo­uld play the pi­ano or ar­ran­ge flo­wers and so­me­ti­mes en­ter­ta­in pe­op­le from the ne­igh­bo­ur­ho­od mostly.
There we­re the Far­ring­dons who li­ved in the Ma­nor and ow­ned most of the land ro­und abo­ut, the vi­car and the doc­tor with the­ir fa­mi­li­es.
Everyone was ho­no­ured by an in­vi­ta­ti­on from Lady Kitty, even Lady Far­ring­dors, for so­ci­al sta­tus was a gre­at con­cern ot­hers and alt­ho­ugh the Far­ring­dons we­re rich, Sir Fre­de­rick was only a se­cond-ge­ne­ra­ti­on ba­ro­net and Lady Far­ring­don was so­mew­hat imp­res­sed by the da­ugh­ter of an Earl.
My mot­her ma­de no at­tempt to ma­na­ge the ho­use­hold. | That was all ac­hi­eved by Evie, wit­ho­ut whom our li­ves wo­uld ha­ve be­en a gre­at de­al less com­for­tab­le. Evie had be­en only se­ven­te­en when she ca­me to us.
That was at the ti­me when I was abo­ut a ye­ar old and my mot­her had by that ti­me slip­ped gra­ce­ful­ly in­to in­va­li­dism. Evie was a'dis­tant co­usin of my mot­her's one of that army of po­or re­la­ti­ons which so of­ten exists on the frin­ge of we­althy fa­mi­li­es. So­me dis­tant fe­ma­le mem­ber of that fa­mily had mar­ri­ed be­ne­ath her, which me­ant aga­inst the fa­mily's wis­hes, and so to­ok a le­ap in­to obs­cu­rity. Evie was a bud from one of tho­se branc­hes, but she had for so­me re­ason kept in to­uch and, du­ring fa­mily emer­gen­ci­es, had be­en cal­led upon for help.
She and my mot­her had be­en fond of each ot­her and when the be­a­uti­ful Lady Kitty fo­und that she wo­uld spend a cer­ta­in ti­me of her li­fe rec­li­ning on so­fas it oc­cur­red to her that Evie was just the per­son ne­eded to co­me and ta­ke char­ge.
So Evie ca­me and ne­ver reg­ret­ted it. Nor did we. We de­pen­ded on Evie.
She ma­na­ged the ho­use­hold and the ser­vants, was a com­pa­ni­on and lady's ma­id to my mot­her, an ef­fi­ci­ent ho­use­ke­eper, a mot­her to me and all this whi­le she ma­de su­re that my fat­her was ab­le to work wit­ho­ut dist­rac­ti­on.
So we had Evie. She ar­ran­ged lit­tle par­ti­es for my mot­her and ma­de su­re that everyt­hing went smo­othly when vi­si­tors cal­led at the ho­use abo­ut com­mis­si­ons for my fat­her's work. When he had to go away which he did fa­irly fre­qu­ently he co­uld go, kno­wing that we we­re well lo­oked af­ter.
My mot­her lo­ved to he­ar of my fat­her's ad­ven­tu­res when he re­tur­ned ho­me. She li­ked to think of him as a fa­mo­us pa­in­ter in gre­at de­mand, alt­ho­ugh she was not re­al­ly in­te­res­ted in what he was do­ing. I had se­en her eyes gla­ze over when he was tal­king ent­hu­si­as­ti­cal­ly but / knew what he was tal­king abo­ut, for I had the Col­li­son blo­od in my ve­ins and I was ne­ver hap­pi­er than when I had a fi­ne sab­le brush in my hands and was ma­king tho­se fa­int su­re stro­kes on a pi­ece of ivory or vel­lum.
I was Kat­he­ri­ne too, but cal­led Ka­te to dis­tin­gu­ish me from Kitty. I did not lo­ok in the le­ast li­ke my mot­her or fat­her. I was con­si­de­rably dar­ker than eit­her of them.
"A throw-back to the six­te­enth cen­tury," sa­id my fat­her, who was na­tu­ral­ly an aut­ho­rity on fa­ces.
"Some long-ago Col­li­son must ha­ve lo­oked exactly li­ke you, Ka­te. Tho­se high che­ek­bo­nes and that to­uch of red in yo­ur ha­ir. Yo­ur eyes are tawny too. That co­lo­ur wo­uld be very dif­fi­cult to cap­tu­re. You'd ha­ve to mix pa­ints very ca­re­ful­ly to get it. I ne­ver li­ke that for de­li­ca­te work ... The re­sult can be messy."
I of­ten la­ug­hed at the way his work al­ways se­emed to cre­ep in­to his con­ver­sa­ti­on.
I must ha­ve be­en abo­ut six ye­ars old when I ma­de a vow. It was af­ter I had he­ard the ser­vants tal­king abo­ut my be­ing a girl and a di­sap­po­int­ment to my fat­her.
I went in­to the stu­dio and stan­ding in the gla­re of the light which ca­me thro­ugh the high win­dow, I sa­id: "I am go­ing to be a gre­at pa­in­ter. My mi­ni­atu­res are go­ing to be the best that ha­ve ever be­en known."
And be­ing a very se­ri­o­us child and ha­ving a pas­si­ona­te de­vo­ti­on to my fat­her as well as an in­born know­led­ge that this was what I had be­en born for, I set abo­ut car­rying out my in­ten­ti­on. At first my fat­her had be­en amu­sed, but he had shown me how to stretch vel­lum over a stiff whi­te card and press it bet­we­en she­ets of pa­per, le­aving it un­der a we­ight to be pres­sed.
"The skin is gre­asy," he told me, 'so we ha­ve to do a lit­tle po­un­cing.
Do you know what po­un­cing is? "
I so­on did, and le­ar­ned how to rub the sur­fa­ce with a mix­tu­re of French chalk and pow­de­red pu­mi­ce.
Then he ta­ught me how to use oil, tem­pe­ra and go­u­ac­he. | "But wa­ter-co­lo­urs are the most sa­tis­fac­tory for the smal­lest work," he sa­id.
When I had my first brush I was de­ligh­ted; and I was fil­led with joy when I saw my fat­her's fa­ce af­ter I had pa­in­ted my first mi­ni­atu­re.
He had put his arms ro­und me and held me clo­se to him so that I sho­uld not see the te­ars in his eyes. My fat­her was a very emo­ti­onal man.
He cri­ed: "You've got it, Ka­te. You're one of us."
My mot­her was shown my first ef­fort.
"It's very go­od," she sa­id.
"Oh, Ka­te, are you go­ing to be a ge­ni­us too? And he­re am I... so su­rely not one!"
"You don't ha­ve to be," I told her.
"You just ha­ve to be be­a­uti­ful."
It was a happy ho­me. My fat­her and I grew clo­ser thro­ugh our work, and I spent ho­urs in the stu­dio. I had a go­ver­ness un­til I was se­ven­te­en.
My fat­her did not want me to go away to scho­ol be­ca­use that wo­uld in­ter­rupt the ti­me I spent in the stu­dio.
"To be a gre­at pa­in­ter, you work every day," he sa­id.
"You do not wa­it un­til you fe­el in the mo­od. You do not wa­it un­til you fe­el re­ady to en­ter­ta­in ins­pi­ra­ti­on. You are the­re wa­iting when she de­igns to call."
I un­ders­to­od comp­le­tely. How co­uld I ha­ve bor­ne to be away from the stu­dio? My re­sol­ve to be as gre­at-no gre­ater-than any of my an­ces­tors had sta­yed with me. I knew that I was go­od.
My fat­her of­ten went ab­ro­ad and wo­uld so­me­ti­mes be away for a month or two at a ti­me. He had even vi­si­ted se­ve­ral of the Euro­pe­an co­urts and pa­in­ted mi­ni­atu­res for ro­yalty.
"I sho­uld li­ke to ta­ke you with me, Ka­te," he of­ten sa­id.
"You're as ca­pab­le as I am. But I don't know what they wo­uld think of a wo­man.
They wo­uldn't be­li­eve the work was go­od . it it had be­en do­ne by a mem­ber of the fe­ma­le sex. "
"But su­rely they co­uld see for them­sel­ves."
"People don't al­ways see what the­ir eyes tell them is the­re. They see what they ha­ve ma­de up the­ir minds to see, and I'm af­ra­id they might ma­ke up the­ir minds that so­met­hing do­ne by a wo­man co­uld not pos­sibly be as go­od as that do­ne by a man."
"That's non­sen­se and it ma­kes me angry," I cri­ed.
"They must be fo­ols."
"Many pe­op­le are," sig­hed my fat­her.
We pa­in­ted mi­ni­atu­res for jewel­lers to sell all over the co­untry. I had do­ne many of tho­se. They we­re sig­ned with the ini­ti­als KC.
Everyone sa­id, "That's a Col­li­son." They didn't know, of co­ur­se, that it was the work of Ka­te not Ken­dal Col­li­son.
When I was a child it had so­me­ti­mes se­emed that my mot­her and fat­her in­ha­bi­ted dif­fe­rent worlds. The­re was my fat­her, the ab­sent-min­ded ar­tist who­se work was his li­fe, and my mot­her the be­a­uti­ful and in­te­res­tingly de­li­ca­te hos­tess, who li­ked to ha­ve pe­op­le aro­und her.
One of her gre­atest ple­asu­res was hol­ding co­urt whi­le ad­mi­rers re­vol­ved abo­ut her, so de­ligh­ted to be en­ter­ta­ined by the da­ugh­ter of an Earl even tho­ugh she was me­rely the wi­fe of an ar­tist.
When tea was dis­pen­sed I wo­uld of­ten be the­re to help her en­ter­ta­in her gu­ests. In the eve­nings she so­me­ti­mes ga­ve small din­ner-par­ti­es and pla­yed whist af­ter­wards, or the­re was mu­sic. She her­self pla­yed the pi­ano ex­qu­isi­tely for her gu­ests.
Sometimes she wo­uld be tal­ka­ti­ve and tell me abo­ut her early li­fe in Langs­ton Cast­le. Did she mind le­aving it for what must be a very small ho­use com­pa­red with the cast­le? I as­ked her on­ce.
"No, Ka­te," she ans­we­red.
"Here I am the Qu­e­en. The­re I was just one of the prin­ces­ses- of no re­al im­por­tan­ce. I was just the­re to ma­ke the right mar­ri­age ... which wo­uld be one my fa­mily wan­ted and which I most li­kely did not."
"You must be very happy," I sa­id, 'for you ha­ve the best hus­band an­yo­ne co­uld ha­ve. "
She lo­oked at me qu­iz­zi­cal­ly and sa­id: "You are very fond of yo­ur fat­her, aren't you?"
"I lo­ve you both," I told her truth­ful­ly.
I went to kiss her and she sa­id: "Don't ruf­fle my ha­ir, dar­ling." Then she to­ok my hand and pres­sed it.
"I'm glad you lo­ve him so much. He is mo­re de­ser­ving than I am."
She puz­zled me. But she was al­ways kind and ten­der and re­al­ly ple­ased that I spent so much ti­me with my fat­her. Oh yes, it had be­en an ext­re­mely happy ho­me un­til that day when Evie, ta­king my mot­her's mor­ning cho­co­la­te to her bed­ro­om, fo­und her de­ad.
She had had a cold which had de­ve­lo­ped in­to so­met­hing wor­se. All my li­fe I had he­ard that we had to ta­ke ca­re of my mot­her's he­alth. She had ra­rely go­ne out and when she did it wo­uld be in the car­ri­age only as far as Far­ring­don Hall. Then she wo­uld be hel­ped out of the car­ri­age and al­most car­ri­ed in by the Far­ring­don fo­ot­man.
But be­ca­use she had al­ways be­en de­li­ca­te and De­ath was sup­po­sed to be ho­ve­ring, be­ca­use it had be­en li­ke that for so many ye­ars that it had al­most be­co­me li­ke a mem­ber of the fa­mily . we had tho­ught it wo­uld con­ti­nue to ho­ver. Ins­te­ad of which it had swo­oped down and car­ri­ed her away.
We mis­sed her very much and it was then that I re­ali­zed how much pa­in­ting me­ant to both my fat­her and myself, for alt­ho­ugh we we­re de­so­la­te in our gri­ef, when we we­re in the stu­dio we co­uld for­get for a whi­le, for at such ti­mes the­re was not­hing for eit­her of us but our pa­in­ting.
Evie was very sad. My mot­her had be­en in her spe­ci­al ca­re for so long.
She was at that ti­me thirty-three ye­ars of age and she had gi­ven up se­ven­te­en of tho­se ye­ars to us.
Two ye­ars ear­li­er Evie had be­co­me en­ga­ged to be mar­ri­ed. The news had sent us in­to a flut­ter of dis­may. We wa­ve­red bet­we­en our ple­asu­re in Evie's hap­pi­ness and our cons­ter­na­ti­on in con­temp­la­ting what li­fe wo­uld be li­ke wit­ho­ut her.
There had be­en no im­mi­nent dan­ger as Evie's fi­an­ce was Ta­mes Cal­lum, the cu­ra­te at our vi­ca­ra­ge. He was the sa­me age as Evie and they we­re to be mar­ri­ed as so­on as he ac­qu­ired a li­ving of his own.
My mot­her used to say: "Pray God he ne­ver will. " And then qu­ickly:
"What a sel­fish cre­atu­re I am, Ka­te. I ho­pe you won't grow up to be li­ke me. Ne­ver fe­ar. You won't, you're one of the sturdy ones. But re­al­ly what sho­uld we ... what sho­uld do wit­ho­ut Evie."
She did not ha­ve to fa­ce that prob­lem. When she di­ed the cu­ra­te was still wit­ho­ut a li­ving, so her pra­yers we­re ans­we­red in a way.
Evie tri­ed to con­so­le me.
"You're gro­wing up now, Ka­te," she sa­id.
"You'd so­on find so­me­one el­se."
"There'd be no one li­ke you, Evie. You're ir­rep­la­ce­ab­le."
She smi­led at me and was torn bet­we­en her fe­ars for us and her lon­ging to be mar­ri­ed.
I knew in my he­art that one day Evie wo­uld ha­ve to le­ave us. Chan­ge was in the air-and I did not want chan­ge.
The months pas­sed and still James Cal­lum did not find a li­ving. Evie dec­la­red that she had lit­tle to do sin­ce my mot­her's de­ath and spent ho­urs pre­ser­ving fru­it and ma­king her­bal con­coc­ti­ons as tho­ugh she we­re stoc­king up the ho­use­hold for the ti­me when she was no lon­ger with us.
We set­tled down in­to our da­ily ro­uti­ne. My fat­her re­fu­sed to con­si­der Evie's pos­sib­le de­par­tu­re. He was the sort of man who li­ved from day to day and re­min­ded me of so­me­one cros­sing a tight­ro­pe who gets along be­ca­use he ne­ver lo­oks down at pos­sib­le di­sas­ters in the val­ley be­low.
He go­es on and on, una­wa­re of them, and for this re­ason tra­vels sa­fely ac­ross.
But the­re can co­me a ti­me when so­me im­pas­sab­le obj­ect for­ces a halt and as he is unab­le to go on he must pa­use and con­si­der whe­re he is.
We wor­ked cons­tantly to­get­her in per­fect har­mony in the stu­dio on tho­se days when the light was right. We de­pen­ded on that for we did a gre­at de­al of res­to­ra­ti­on of old ma­nusc­ripts. I now re­gar­ded myself as a fully fled­ged pa­in­ter. I had even ac­com­pa­ni­ed my fat­her to one or two ho­uses whe­re res­to­ra­ti­on work was ne­eded. He al­ways exp­la­ined my pre­sen­ce: "My da­ugh­ter helps me in my work." I know they ima­gi­ned that I pre­pa­red the to­ols of the tra­de, was­hed his brus­hes and lo­oked af­ter his cre­atu­re com­forts. That rank­led. I was pro­ud of my work and mo­re and mo­re he was al­lo­wing me to ta­ke over.
We we­re in the stu­dio one day when I saw that he was hol­ding a mag­nif­ying glass in one hand and his brush in the. ot­her.
I was as­to­nis­hed be­ca­use he had al­ways sa­id: "It is ne­ver go­od to use a mag­nif­ying glass. If you tra­in yo­ur eyes they will do the work for you. A lim­ner has spe­ci­al eyes. He wo­uld not be a lim­ner if he had not."
He saw that I was re­gar­ding him with surp­ri­se and put­ting down the glass, sa­id: "A very de­li­ca­te pi­ece of work. I wan­ted to ma­ke su­re I hadn't mis­cal­cu­la­ted."
It was so­me we­eks la­ter. We had had a ma­nusc­ript sent to us from a re­li­gi­o­us or­der in the north of Eng­land. So­me of the fi­ne dra­wings on the pa­ges had be­co­me fa­int and slightly da­ma­ged, and one of the branc­hes of our work was to res­to­re such ma­nusc­ripts. If they we­re very va­lu­ab­le, which a num­ber of them we­re, da­ting from as far back as the ele­venth cen­tury, my fat­her wo­uld ha­ve to go to the mo­nas­tery to do the work on the spot, but the­re we­re oc­ca­si­ons when the less va­lu­ab­le ones co­uld be bro­ught to us. I had do­ne a gre­at de­al of work on the­se re­cently, which was my fat­her's way of tel­ling me that I was now a pa­in­ter of skill. If my work was not so­od eno­ugh it was easy to dis­card a pi­ece of vel­lum or ivory, but only a su­re hand co­uld be al­lo­wed to to­uch the­se pri­ce­less ma­nusc­ripts.
On that June day my fat­her had the ma­nusc­ript be­fo­re him and was trying to get the ne­ces­sary sha­de of red. It was ne­ver easy, for this had to match the red pig­ment cal­led mi­ni­um which had be­en used long ago and was in fact the very word from which the na­me mi­ni­atu­re had be­en de­ri­ved.
I watc­hed him, his brush ho­ve­ring over the small pa­let­te. Then he put it down with a help­les­sness which as­to­nis­hed me.
I went over to him and sa­id: "Is anyt­hing wrong?"
He did not ans­wer me but le­aned for­ward and co­ve­red his fa­ce with his hands.
That was a frigh­te­ning mo­ment with the bla­zing sun out­si­de and the strong light fal­ling on the an­ci­ent ma­nusc­ript and the sud­den know­led­ge that so­met­hing ter­rib­le was abo­ut to hap­pen.
I bent over him and la­id my hand on his sho­ul­der.
"What is it, Fat­her?" I as­ked.
He drop­ped his hands and lo­oked at me with tho­se blue eyes which we­re full of tra­gedy.
"It's no use, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"I've got to tell so­me­one. I'm go­ing blind."
I sta­red at him. It co­uldn't be true. His pre­ci­o­us eyes . they we­re the ga­te­way to his art, to his con­tent­ment. How co­uld he exist wit­ho­ut his work for which abo­ve all he ne­eded his eyes? It was the who­le me­aning of exis­ten­ce to him.
"No," I whis­pe­red.
"That... can't be."
"It is so," he sa­id.
"But..." I stam­me­red.
"You are all right. You can see."
He sho­ok his he­ad.
"Not as I on­ce co­uld. Not as I used to. It's go­ing to get wor­se. Not sud­denly ... gra­du­al­ly. I know.
I've be­en to a spe­ci­alist. It was when I was on my last trip went to Lon­don. He told me. "
"How long ago?"
"Three we­eks."
"And you kept it to yo­ur­self for so long?"
"I tri­ed not to be­li­eve it. At first I tho­ught... Well, I di­di know what to think. I just co­uld not see as cle­arly ... n cle­arly eno­ugh .
Have you no­ti­ced I've be­en le­aving li­ti things to you?"
"I tho­ught you did that to en­co­ura­ge me ... to gi­ve r con­fi­den­ce."
"Dear Ka­te, you don't ne­ed con­fi­den­ce. You ha­ve all y‹ ne­ed. You're an ar­tist. You're as go­od as yo­ur an­ces­tors."
"Tell me abo­ut the doc­tor ... what he sa­id. Tell n everyt­hing."
"I've got what they call a ca­ta­ract in each eye. The doct says it's small whi­te spots on the lens-cap­su­le in the cent­re the pu­pils. They are slight at the mo­ment, but they will grc big­ger. It might be so­me ti­me be­fo­re I lo­se the sight ofn eyes ... but it co­uld be ra­pid."
"There must be so­met­hing they co­uld do?"
"Yes, an ope­ra­ti­on. But it is a risk, and my eyes wou ne­ver be go­od eno­ugh for my sort of work, even if it we suc­ces­sful. You know what sight we ne­ed ... how we se­em de­ve­lop ext­ra po­wer. You know, Ka­te.
You ha­ve it. But th . blind­ness . Oh, don't you see. It's everyt­hing . "
I was overw­hel­med by the tra­gedy of it. His li­fe was h work and it was to be de­ni­ed him. It was the most trag thing that co­uld ha­ve hap­pe­ned to him. i':
I did not know how to com­fort him, but so­me­how I did;
At le­ast he had told me. I chi­ded him gently for not tell it me be­fo­re, "I don't want an­yo­ne to know yet, Ka­te," he in­sis­ted.
"R our sec­ret, eh?" i "Yes," I sa­id, 'if that is what you wish. It is our sec­ret. " | Then I put my arm ro­und him and held him aga­inst me. I he­ard him whis­per: "You com­fort me, Ka­te."
One can­not re­ma­in in a sta­te of shock in­de­fi­ni­tely. At first I had be­en overw­hel­med by the news and it se­emed as tho­ugh di­sas­ter sta­red us in the fa­ce; but af­ter so­me ref­lec­ti­on my na­tu­ral op­ti­mism ca­me to mya­id^and I be­gan to see that this was not yet the end. For one thing the pro­cess was gra­du­al. At the mo­ment my fat­her simply co­uld not see as well as he on­ce had. He wo­uld not be ab­le to do his fi­nest work.
But he co­uld still pa­int. He wo­uld just ha­ve to chan­ge his style. It se­emed im­pos­sib­le that a Col­li­son sho­uld not be ab­le to pa­int mi­ni­atu­res, but why sho­uldn't he work on a big­ger sca­le? Why sho­uldn't a can­vas ta­ke the pla­ce of pa­in­ting on ivory and me­tals?
On con­si­de­ra­ti­on his bur­den se­emed to ha­ve ligh­te­ned. We tal­ked a gre­at de­al up the­re in the stu­dio.
"You must be my eyes, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"You must watch me. So­me­ti­mes I think I can see well eno­ugh... but I am not su­re. You know how one fal­se stro­ke can be di­sast­ro­us."
I sa­id: "You ha­ve told me now. You sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve kept it to yo­ur­self. It isn't as tho­ugh you are sud­denly smit­ten with blind­ness.
You ha­ve had a long war­ning. and ti­me to pre­pa­re yo­ur­self. "
He lis­te­ned to me al­most li­ke a child, han­ging on my words. I felt very ten­der to­wards him.
"Don't for­get," he re­min­ded me.
"For the ti­me be­ing... not a word to an­yo­ne."
I ag­re­ed with that. I had a ri­di­cu­lo­us ho­pe, which I know to be gro­und­less, that he might re­co­ver and the obst­ruc­ti­on go away.
"Bless you, Ka­te' he sa­id.
"I thank God for you. Yo­ur work is as go­od as anyt­hing I ever did ... and it's get­ting bet­ter. It wo­uld not surp­ri­se me if you sur­pas­sed every Col­li­son. That wo­uld be my con­so­la­ti­on if you did."
So we tal­ked and wor­ked to­get­her and I ma­de su­re that I did the fi­nest work on tho­se ma­nusc­ripts so that he sho­uld not ha­ve to put his eyes to the test. The­re was no do­ubt that all this had gi­ven me an ad­ded spur and I re­al­ly be­li­eved that my to­uch was mo­re su­re than it had be­en pre­vi­o­usly.
A few days pas­sed. It was won­der­ful what ti­me did, and I be­li­eved that his na­tu­re was such that in ti­me he wo­uld be­co­me re­con­ci­led. He wo­uld al­ways see everyt­hing thro­ugh an ar­tist's eyes and he wo­uld al­ways pa­int. The work he had par­ti­cu­larly lo­ved wo­uld be de­ni­ed him . but he was not go­ing to lo­se everyt­hing. not yet, at le­ast. That was what I told him.
It was a we­ek or so af­ter when I he­ard the news.
We had re­tur­ned from a din­ner-party at the doc­tor's ho­use. Evie was al­ways inc­lu­ded in the­se in­vi­ta­ti­ons for she was re­gar­ded, thro­ug­ho­ut the ne­igh­bo­ur­ho­od, as a mem­ber of the fa­mily. Even the so­ci­al­ly min­ded Lady Far­ring­don in­vi­ted her, for af­ter all Evie was a con­nec­ti­on of that fa­mily which con­ta­ined an Earl!
It had be­en an eve­ning li­ke any ot­her. The vi­ca­ra­ge fa­mily had be­en at the doc­tor's ho­use. The­re was the Re­ve­rend John Me­adows with his two grown-up child­ren, Dick and Fran­ces. Dick was stud­ying for the Church and Fran­ces, sin­ce her mot­her had di­ed, had kept ho­use for her fat­her.
I knew the fa­mily well. Be­fo­re I had a go­ver­ness I had be­en to the vi­ca­ra­ge every day to be ta­ught by the cu­ra­te not Evie's but his pre­de­ces­sor, a mid­dle-aged se­ri­o­us old gent­le­man who bo­re wit­ness to the fact that cu­ra­tes co­uld so­me­ti­mes re­ma­in in that lowly sta­te du­ring the­ir en­ti­re ca­re­ers.
We had be­en warmly gre­eted by Dr. and Mrs. Cam­bor­ne and the­ir twin da­ugh­ters. The twins lo­oked so much ali­ke that I co­uld only on ra­re oc­ca­si­ons tell the dif­fe­ren­ce. They in­te­res­ted me. When I was with them I al­ways won­de­red what one wo­uld fe­el to ha­ve anot­her per­son who lo­oked al­most exactly the sa­me and was so clo­se. They had be­en na­med with a cer­ta­in irony, I tho­ught, Fa­ith and Ho­pe. My fat­her sa­id:
"What a pity they we­re not trip­lets, then Cha­rity co­uld ha­ve be­en inc­lu­ded."
Hope was the bol­der of the two; she was the one who spo­ke up when they we­re ad­dres­sed. Fa­ith re­li­ed on her comp­le­tely. She al­ways lo­oked to her sis­ter for sup­port be­fo­re she spo­ke, even. She was of a ner­vo­us tem­pe­ra­ment but the­re was a deg­ree of bold­ness abo­ut Ho­pe. It of­ten se­emed to me as tho­ugh the hu­man vir­tu­es and fa­ilings had be­en ne­atly di­vi­ded and dist­ri­bu­ted bet­we­en tho­se two.
Hope was cle­ver at her les­sons and al­ways hel­ped Fa­ith, who was much slo­wer and fo­und gre­at dif­fi­culty in le­ar­ning. Fa­ith was ne­at and tidy and al­ways cle­ared up af­ter Ho­pe, so the­ir mot­her told me. Fa­ith was go­od wor­king with her hands; Ho­pe was clumsy in that res­pect.
"I am so glad they are fond of each ot­her," the­ir mot­her told my fat­her.
There was no do­ubt that the­re was so­me mystic bond bet­we­en them, which is of­ten fo­und in iden­ti­cal twins. They lo­oked ali­ke and yet we­re so dif­fe­rent. I tho­ught it wo­uld be in­te­res­ting to pa­int them and see what ca­me out, for of­ten when one was en­ga­ged on a mi­ni­atu­re fa­cets of a sit­ter's cha­rac­ter wo­uld be re­ve­aled as if by so­me mi­rac­le.
Dick Me­adows tal­ked a gre­at de­al abo­ut him­self. He had ne­arly fi­nis­hed his tra­ining and wo­uld be lo­oking for a li­ving so­on. A bright yo­ung man, I tho­ught, he wo­uld su­rely be cho­sen be­fo­re Evie's James.
Frances Me­adows was her usu­al sen­sib­le self- con­tent, it se­emed, to de­vo­te her li­fe to church mat­ters and the ca­re­ful run­ning of the vi­ca­ra­ge ho­use­hold.
It was just one of tho­se eve­nings of which the­re had be­en so many. As we wal­ked ho­me I was thin­king how con­ven­ti­onal my li­fe was . and the li­fe of all of us. I co­uld ima­gi­ne Fran­ces ke­eping ho­use at the vi­ca­ra­ge un­til she was a mid­dle-aged wo­man. That was her li­fe-alre­ady map­ped out for her. And myself? Was I go­ing to spend mi­ne in a lit­tle vil­la­ge my so­ci­al li­fe mo­re or less con­fi­ned to din­ners suc­hi as this one to­night? Ple­asant eno­ugh, of co­ur­se, and sha­re­dJ with pe­op­le of whom I was fond- but wo­uld it go on and on| un­til I was mid­dle-aged? | I was very pen­si­ve con­si­de­ring it.
Sometimes, lo­okin­gi back, I won­der whet­her even then I was sub­cons­ci­o­usly| awa­re of the events which we­re abo­ut to bre­ak over me-| dis­rup­ting my pe­ace­ful li­fe fo­re­ver. :j I was cer­ta­inly al­re­ady be­co­ming res­ti­ve. When my fat­her^ ca­me ho­me from his vi­sits ab­ro­ad, I qu­es­ti­oned him avidlyl abo­ut what he had se­en. He had be­en to the Co­urts of Prus­sia] and Den­mark and most grand of all, that of Na­po­le­on the;
Third and his fas­ci­na­ting wi­fe the Emp­ress Euge­nic. He desc­ri­bed the gran­de­urs of tho­se Co­urts and the man­ners. and cus­toms of the pe­op­le who in­ha­bi­ted them. He tal­ked in co­lo­urs and ma­de me see the rich purp­le and gold of ro­yal vest­ments, the soft pas­tel sha­des of the French ho­uses and the less subt­le ones of the Ger­man Co­urts.
I had al­ways felt a lon­ging to see the­se things for myself, and one of my sec­ret dre­ams was that I sho­uld be re­cog­ni­zed as a gre­at pa­in­ter as my fat­her was and that the­se in­vi­ta­ti­ons wo­uld co­me to me. If only I had be­en born a man I co­uld lo­ok. for­ward to that. But he­re I was shut in imp­ri­so­ned in my sex, re­al­ly- in a world which men had cre­ated for them­sel­ves. Wo­men had the­ir uses in that world. They we­re ne­ces­sary for the rep­ro­duc­ti­on of the ra­ce and they co­uld do this most im­por­tant of all tasks whi­le pro­vi­ding a very ag­re­e­ab­le di­ver­si­on; they co­uld gra­ce a man's ho­use­hold and tab­le; they co­uld even help him on his way, stand be­si­de him but al­ways a lit­tle in the backg­ro­und, al­ways be­ing ca­re­ful to ma­ke su­re that the li­me­light fell on him.
It was for Art that I ca­red, but when I re­ali­zed that my mi­ni­atu­res co­uld bring as gre­at a re­ward as tho­se of my fat­her- but only be­ca­use they we­re be­li­eved to be his1 was mad­de­ned by the un­fa­ir­ness and stu­pi­dity of the world; and I co­uld un­ders­tand why so­me wo­men we­re re­fu­sing to toe the li­ne and ac­cept the as­sump­ti­on of mas­cu­li­ne su­pe­ri­ority.
When we ar­ri­ved back at the ho­use on that night it was to find James Cal­lum the­re.
"You must for­gi­ve me for cal­ling at such an ho­ur, Mr. Col­li­son," he sa­id.
"But I had to see Evie."
He was so ex­ci­ted that he co­uld scar­cely spe­ak. Evie went to him and la­id a cal­ming hand on his arm.
"What is it, James. Not... a li­ving!"
"Well, hardly that. It's a ... a pro­po­si­ti­on. It de­pends on what Evie says ..."
"It might be a go­od idea to ask me and find out," Evie po­in­ted out in that prac­ti­cal way ot­hers.
"It's this, Evie I've be­en as­ked to go to Af­ri­ca ... as a mis­si­onary."
"James!"
"Yes, and they think I sho­uld ha­ve a wi­fe to ta­ke with me."
I saw the joy in Evie's fa­ce but I did not lo­ok at my fat­her. I knew he wo­uld be bat­tling with his emo­ti­ons.
I he­ard him say: "Evie ... That's won­der­ful. You'll be su­perb ... and ke­ep them all in or­der."
"Evie," fal­te­red James.
"You ha­ven't sa­id."
Evie was smi­ling.
"When do we le­ave?" she as­ked.
"There's not much ti­me, I'm af­ra­id. They've sug­ges­ted in a month if that's pos­sib­le."
"You'll ha­ve to get the banns up right away," put in my fat­her.

"I

think that ta­kes three we­eks. "
I went to Evie and emb­ra­ced her.
"It's go­ing to be aw­ful for us wit­ho­ut you, but you'll be won­der­ful­ly happy. It's just right for you.
Oh Evie, you de­ser­ve everyt­hing of the best. "
We clung to­get­her. It was one of tho­se ra­re mo­ments when Evie al­lo­wed her­self to show the depth ot­her fe­elings.
Being Evie, she ma­de our prob­lem hers, and in the midst of all her hap­pi­ness and the bust­le of get­ting re­ady at such short no­ti­ce she did not for­get us.
I had ne­ver se­en her as ex­ci­ted as she was at this ti­me. She re­ad a gre­at de­al abo­ut Af­ri­ca and was de­ter­mi­ned to ma­ke a suc­cess of this job for James and her­self.
"You see, he's ta­king so­me­one el­se's pla­ce. The pre­vi­o­us one ca­me ho­me on ho­li­day and de­ve­lo­ped chest tro­ub­le. He can't go back. That has gi­ven James his chan­ce."
"He de­ser­ves it- and so do you."
"It's all wor­ked out very well in many ways. Jack Me­adows can gi­ve his fat­her a hand un­til so­met­hing is set­tled. Isn't it mi­ra­cu­lo­us? The only thing that wor­ri­es me is you ... but I've be­en thin­king and Cla­re ca­me in­to my mind."
"Who's Cla­re?"
"Clare Mas­sie. Wo­uld you li­ke me to wri­te to her? Do you know, I be­li­eve she is the ans­wer. I ha­ven't se­en her for so­me ye­ars but she has kept in to­uch. We wri­te to each ot­her every Christ­mas."
"Do tell me abo­ut her."
"Well, I tho­ught she might co­me he­re. Last Christ­mas she wro­te that her mot­her had di­ed. She'd be­en lo­oking af­ter her for ye­ars. You know the sort of thing ... the yo­un­ger da­ugh­ter ... it's ex­pec­ted of her.
The ot­hers all ha­ve the­ir own li­ves to le­ad and the­re's not­hing for her but to lo­ok af­ter age­ing pa­rents. The­re was a sis­ter. She mar­ri­ed and went ab­ro­ad. Cla­re ra­rely he­ars from her. But she was sa­ying last Christ­mas that she might ha­ve to find so­me post..."
"If she's a fri­end of yo­urs ..."
"She's a dis­tant con­nec­ti­on ... co­usin so many ti­mes re­mo­ved that we've lost co­unt. She must ha­ve be­en abo­ut fo­ur­te­en when I last saw her. It was at the fu­ne­ral of a gre­at-aunt. She se­emed to be such a go­od-na­tu­red girl and al­re­ady she was lo­oking af­ter her mot­her. Shall I wri­te?"
"Oh yes, ple­ase do."
"If I co­uld get her to co­me be­fo­re I left I co­uld show her a few things."
"Evie, you're a won­der. In the midst of all this ex­ci­te­ment you can think of ot­hers. Ple­ase wri­te. If she is re­la­ted to you I am su­re we shall lo­ve her."
"I will... im­me­di­ately. Of co­ur­se, it may be that she has fo­und so­met­hing by now ..."
"We'll ho­pe," I sa­id.
It was only two we­eks af­ter that con­ver­sa­ti­on that Cla­re Mas­sie ar­ri­ved. She had ac­cep­ted the of­fer with alac­rity and Evie was de­ligh­ted.
"It is just right for you and just right for Cla­re," she sa­id; and she was in a sta­te of bliss. Not only was she mar­rying her de­ar James but she had set­tled us and her dis­tant re­la­ti­ve Cla­re at the sa­me ti­me.
I went with Evie in the dog-cart to the sta­ti­on to me­et Cla­re and my first glimp­se ot­her was on the plat­form with her bags aro­und her. She had lo­oked qu­ite for­lorn and I felt an im­me­di­ate sympathy for her.
What sho­uld / fe­el, fa­cing a new li­fe among pe­op­le I had ne­ver met be­fo­re with only a dis­tant co­usin to help me over the first days and that prop so­on to be re­mo­ved?
Evie swept down on Cla­re. They emb­ra­ced.
"Kate, this is Cla­re Mas­sie. Cla­re, Ka­te Col­li­son."
We sho­ok hands and I lo­oked in­to a pa­ir of lar­ge brown eyes in a rat­her pa­le, he­art-sha­ped fa­ce. The light brown ha­ir was smo­ot­hed down on eit­her si­de of her he­ad to end in a ne­at knob. Her straw hat was brown with one yel­low da­isy in it and her co­at was brown too. She lo­oked ner­vo­us . fe­ar­ful of gi­ving of­fen­ce. She must ha­ve be­en abo­ut twenty-eight or thirty.
I tri­ed to re­as­su­re her and told her how glad we we­re that she had co­me. Evie had told us so much abo­ut her.
"Oh yes," she sa­id.
"Evie has be­en very go­od."
"We co­uld ha­ve the lug­ga­ge sent on," sa­id Evie, prac­ti­cal as ever.
"Then we co­uld all go in the dog-cart qu­ite com­for­tably. Bring a small bag. Ha­ve you got one? Oh yes, just the things you'll ne­ed im­me­di­ately."
"I ho­pe you are go­ing to be happy he­re," I sa­id.
"Of co­ur­se she will," sa­id Evie.
"I only ho­pe I shall be ab­le to ..."
Evie si­len­ced her.
"Everything will be just right," she sa­id firmly.
We tal­ked abo­ut Evie's mar­ri­age and im­mi­nent de­par­tu­re.
"I'm glad you'll be he­re for it," I sa­id.
Thus we bro­ught Cla­re ho­me, and so­on af­ter that Evie was mar­ri­ed. My fat­her ga­ve her away, the vi­car per­for­med the ce­re­mony and af­ter­wards we had a re­cep­ti­on for her at Col­li­son Ho­use with just a few fri­ends and ne­igh­bo­urs. La­ter that day the bri­de and bri­deg­ro­om left on the first lap of the­ir jo­ur­ney to Af­ri­ca.
Clare qu­ickly fit­ted in­to the ho­use­hold. She de­vo­ted her­self to us with such as­si­du­o­us ca­re and de­ter­mi­na­ti­on to ple­ase that if she we­re not qu­ite Evie and we had con­vin­ced our­sel­ves that no­body co­uld be that- she was un­do­ub­tedly the next best thing.
She was ext­re­mely gent­le and easy to get along with, which ma­de us re­ali­ze that, won­der­ful as Evie had be­en, she co­uld at ti­mes imply a lit­tle cri­ti­cism to tho­se who did not con­form to her own high stan­dards which of co­ur­se no­ne of us did.
Perhaps the ho­use was not qu­ite so well ca­red for. Per­haps the ser­vants we­re not qu­ite so prompt to ans­wer our calls, and the­re was cer­ta­inly an easing of dis­cip­li­ne; but we we­re so­on all very fond of Cla­re and de­ligh­ted that she had co­me.
My fat­her com­men­ted: "I think per­haps that alt­ho­ugh we li­ke the ef­fect of highly po­we­red ef­fi­ci­ency we fe­el our­sel­ves unab­le to com­pe­te with it and a lit­tle slack­ness gi­ves us a self-cong­ra­tu­la­tory glow of com­fort."
And I ag­re­ed with him.
Clare ma­de fri­ends qu­ickly and se­emed to get on par­ti­cu­larly well with the Cam­bor­ne twins. My fat­her was qu­ite amu­sed. He sa­id that Fa­ith was be­gin­ning to lo­ok to Cla­re al­most as much as she did to Ho­pe.
"Two rocks to cling to now," he com­men­ted.
Clare be­gan to show a gre­at res­pect for our work and as­ked my fat­her if she might see his col­lec­ti­on of mi­ni­atu­res, which de­ligh­ted him. It was a con­si­de­rab­le col­lec­ti­on. It was ma­inly Col­li­sons, but he did ha­ve a Hil­li­ard and two Isa­ac Oli­vers, which I tho­ught we­re even bet­ter than the Hil­li­ard tho­ugh pos­sibly of not the sa­me mar­ket va­lue.
One of his gre­atest tre­asu­res was a small mi­ni­atu­re by the French ar­tist, Je­an Pu­cel­le, who had be­en a le­ading mem­ber of a gro­up of mi­ni­atu­rists at the Co­urt of Bur­gundy in Pa­ris du­ring the fo­ur­te­enth cen­tury. My fat­her used to say that this col­lec­ti­on was our for­tu­ne.
Not that he wo­uld ever think of sel­ling one pi­ece. They had be­en in the fa­mily for ge­ne­ra­ti­ons and the­re they must stay.
Clare's brown eyes sho­ne with ple­asu­re as she sur­ve­yed the­se tre­asu­res and my fat­her exp­la­ined to her the dif­fe­ren­ces in tem­pe­ra and go­u­ac­he.
Even Evie had not un­ders­to­od abo­ut the pa­in­tings and sec­retly I be­li­eve had had a fa­int con­tempt for such work. But for the fact that my fat­her ear­ned a li­ving by do­ing it I am su­re she wo­uld ha­ve dis­mis­sed it as a rat­her fri­vo­lo­us oc­cu­pa­ti­on.
But Cla­re re­al­ly did ha­ve a fe­eling for pa­int and ad­mit­ted that she had tri­ed her hand at a lit­tle oil pa­in­ting.
It was cle­ar that Cla­re was go­ing to be a very suc­ces­sful ad­di­ti­on to our ho­use­hold. The ser­vants li­ked her; she was less de­fi­ni­te than Evie but that co­uld me­an that she was not di­dac­tic and do­mi­ne­ering.
There was abo­ut Cla­re a cer­ta­in fe­mi­ni­nity which ma­de pe­op­le fe­el the ne­ed to be gent­le with her. The ser­vants sen­sed this and whe­re­as they might ha­ve be­en re­sent­ful of a ho­use­ke­eper- which I sup­po­se in a way she was they all hel­ped Cla­re to step in­to Evie's sho­es.
And that was what she did. She was dif­fe­rent; she was gent­ler; and if she lac­ked that comp­le­te ef­fi­ci­ency which we had fo­und in Evie, we we­re pre­pa­red to ac­cept so­met­hing less from one who was so eager to ple­ase.
After a whi­le she be­gan to con­fi­de in me and when she tal­ked abo­ut her mot­her she wo­uld be over­co­me with emo­ti­on.
"I lo­ved her de­arly," she sa­id.
"She was my li­fe be­ca­use I had lo­oked af­ter her thro­ugh her il­lness.
Oh, Ka­te, I ho­pe you ne­ver ha­ve to see one you lo­ve suf­fer. It is he­art­ren­ding. The­re we­re ye­ars of it..."
I knew she had an el­der sis­ter who had mar­ri­ed and go­ne ab­ro­ad and that her fat­her had di­ed when Cla­re was qu­ite a child. It se­emed that her mot­her had do­mi­na­ted her li­fe, and that it had be­en a hard li­fe I had no do­ubt. She had do­ne a lit­tle pa­in­ting her­self, so she was ex­ci­ted to be in a ho­use­hold li­ke ours.
"My mot­her tho­ught my pa­in­ting was a was­te of ti­me," she sa­id.
I gu­es­sed that her mot­her had not be­en easy to li­ve with, alt­ho­ugh Cla­re ne­ver sa­id so and al­ways spo­ke of her with the ut­most af­fec­ti­on.
There was abo­ut her an air of one who has es­ca­ped to fre­edom; and my fat­her and I we­re par­ti­cu­larly ple­ased to ha­ve her in our ho­me.
And then the com­mis­si­on ca­me.
It threw my fat­her in­to a sta­te bor­de­ring on pa­nic, exul­ta­ti­on, ap­pre­hen­si­on, ex­ci­te­ment and un­cer­ta­inty.
It was the mo­ment of de­ci­si­on for him. He­re was one of the most im­por­tant com­mis­si­ons of his li­fe. Co­uld he, in his pre­sent sta­te, ta­ke it?
As so­on as we we­re alo­ne in the stu­dio he exp­la­ined to me. He was hol­ding a he­avily em­bos­sed pi­ece of pa­per.
"This is from the ste­ward of the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le. It's in Nor­mandy not so far from Pa­ris. It's a com­mis­si­on from the Ba­ron alt­ho­ugh na­tu­ral­ly it co­mes thro­ugh his ste­ward. Ap­pa­rently he is to marry and he wants a mi­ni­atu­re pa­in­ted of him­self for his fi­an­cee, the Prin­ces­se de Cres­pigny. And when that is do­ne, if the re­sults are ple­asing, I am to vi­sit the lady and pa­int one of her, so that in ac­cor­dan­ce with the cus­tom, mi­ni­atu­res can be exc­han­ged bet­we­en the happy pa­ir. Ka­te, it's the op­por­tu­nity of a li­fe­ti­me. If he is ple­ased ... if my mi­ni­atu­res are se­en in such qu­ar­ters ... I co­uld be pa­in­ting the Emp­ress Euge­nic her­self be­fo­re long." His eyes we­re glo­wing. For the mo­ment he had for­got­ten his af­flic­ti­on. I watc­hed him with a ter­rib­le pity and de­so­la­ti­on in my he­art as he re­mem­be­red and the joy fa­ded from his fa­ce. I had ne­ver se­en him lo­ok so des­pa­iring.
Then sud­denly his exp­res­si­on chan­ged.
"We co­uld do it, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"You co­uld do it."
I tho­ught my he­art­be­ats wo­uld suf­fo­ca­te me. It was what I had lon­ged for: to be com­mis­si­oned by so­me glit­te­ring per­so­na­ge . to tra­vel be­yond our lit­tle world . ac­ross a con­ti­nent, to vi­sit fo­re­ign Co­urts, to li­ve among pe­op­le who ma­de his­tory.
Of all the Co­urts of Euro­pe, the most glit­te­ring was that of Fran­ce.
The Co­urt of our own Qu­e­en was somb­re in com­pa­ri­son. She was still mo­ur­ning the de­ath of her Con­sort who had di­ed of typho­id a few ye­ars pre­vi­o­usly. Sin­ce then the Qu­e­en had shut her­self away and scar­cely shown her­self. The Prin­ce of Wa­les se­emed to li­ve a very merry li­fe but that was not the sa­me thing. Char­les Lo­u­is Na­po­le­on Bo­na­par­te, son of Lo­u­is Bo­na­par­te who had be­en brot­her of the gre­at Na­po­le­on who had al­most suc­ce­eded in con­qu­ering the

D.

L.

- B world, had mar­ri­ed the be­a­uti­ful Euge­nie Ma­ri­ede Mon­ti­jo, and bet­we­en them they had ma­de the­ir Co­urt the cent­re of Euro­pe.
How I lon­ged to see it! But of co­ur­se the­se in­vi­ta­ti­ons did not co­me for me. They we­re for my fat­her. And when he sa­id:
"We co­uld do it..." he had gi­ven me a glim­mer of what was for­ming in his mind.
I sa­id qu­i­etly: "You will ha­ve to re­fu­se."
"Yes," he rep­li­ed, but I co­uld see that that was not the end of the mat­ter.
I went on: "You will ha­ve to let it be known now. This must de­ci­de you."
"You co­uld do it, Ka­te."
"They wo­uld ne­ver ac­cept a wo­man."
"No," he ag­re­ed, 'of co­ur­se not. "
He was lo­oking at me in­tently. Then he sa­id slowly: "I co­uld ac­cept this com­mis­si­on ..."
"Your eyes might fa­il you. That wo­uld be qu­ite di­sast­ro­us."
"You wo­uld be my eyes, Ka­te."
"Do you me­an that I wo­uld go with you?"
He nod­ded slowly.
"I sho­uld be al­lo­wed to ta­ke you with me. I ne­ed a tra­vel­ling com­pa­ni­on. I am not as yo­ung as I was. You wo­uld be of use to me.
They wo­uld think ... per­haps to mix the pa­ints ... cle­an my brus­hes, my pa­let­tes ... So they wo­uld think. And you wo­uld watch over me, Ka­te."
"Yes," I sa­id.
"I co­uld do that."
"I wish I co­uld say to them: " My da­ugh­ter is a gre­at pa­in­ter. She will do yo­ur mi­ni­atu­res. " But they wo­uld ne­ver ac­cept it."
"The world is un­fa­ir to wo­men," I sa­id ang­rily.
"The world is un­fa­ir to all at ti­mes. No, Ka­te, we can­not go un­less we go to­get­her. I, be­ca­use I ne­ed you to be my eyes; you, be­ca­use you are a wo­man. When the mi­ni­atu­res are do­ne, if they arc suc­ces­sful, I will say to this Ba­ron: "This is the work of my da­ugh­ter. You ha­ve ad­mi­red it... ac­cep­ted it... Now ac­cept her for the pa­in­ter she is." Ka­te, this might be yo­ur chan­ce.
It might be fa­te wor­king in a myste­ri­o­us way. "
My eyes we­re shi­ning. I co­uld scar­cely be­ar to lo­ok at him.
"Yes," I sa­id.
"We are go­ing."
A mo­od of wild ex­ci­te­ment and exul­ta­ti­on to­ok pos­ses­si­on of me. I had ne­ver felt so jubi­lant be­fo­re in all my li­fe. I knew I co­uld pa­int a mi­ni­atu­re to com­pa­re with the gre­atest ar­tists. My sen­ses ting­led and my who­le be­ing ye­ar­ned to be­gin.
Then I was as­ha­med of my hap­pi­ness be­ca­use it ca­me to me thro­ugh my fat­her's mis­for­tu­ne.
He un­ders­to­od. I he­ard him la­ugh softly, ten­derly.
"Don't deny yo­ur art, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"You are an ar­tist first of all.
If you we­ren't you wo­uld not be a gre­at ar­tist. This co­uld be yo­ur chan­ce. Stri­ke a blow for Art and Wo­man­ho­od at the sa­me ti­me. Lis­ten to me. I am go­ing to ac­cept this com­mis­si­on. We are go­ing to­get­her to this cha­te­au in Nor­mandy. You are go­ing to pa­int as you ne­ver did be­fo­re. I can see it all so cle­arly. "
"There will ha­ve to be sit­tings .. and the sit­ter will know."
"That is not in­sur­mo­un­tab­le. You will be the­re du­ring the sit­tings.
You will watch. I will pa­int and you will do yo­ur mi­ni­atu­re when the sit­ter is ab­sent. You will ha­ve se­en him and ha­ve mi­ne to work from.
It is only the fi­ne stro­kes which are be­yond me. We'll work it, Ka­te.
Oh, this is go­ing to be the most ex­ci­ting ad­ven­tu­re. "
"Show me the let­ter."
I held it in my hands. It was li­ke a ta­lis­man, a pas­sport to glory. I of­ten won­de­red af­ter­wards why we do not ha­ve pre­mo­ni­ti­ons in li­fe. to warn us. to gu­ide us. But no, the im­por­tant mo­ments in our li­fe slip by with no spe­ci­al se­eming sig­ni­fi­can­ce. If only I had known then that this let­ter was go­ing to chan­ge the who­le co­ur­se of my li­fe, what sho­uld I ha­ve do­ne?
"Shall you wri­te?" I as­ked.
"Today," rep­li­ed my fat­her.
"Shouldn't you wa­it aw­hi­le ... con­si­der ..."
"I ha­ve con­si­de­red. Ha­ve you?"
"Yes, I ha­ve."
"It's go­ing to work, Ka­te. We're go­ing to ma­ke it work."
It was a long ti­me sin­ce I had se­en my fat­her so happy. We we­re li­ke two child­ren pre­pa­ring for the tre­at of our li­ves. We re­fu­sed to see the dif­fi­cul­ti­es. We pre­fer­red to li­ve in our eup­ho­ric dre­am con­vin­cing our­sel­ves that everyt­hing wo­uld work out as we had plan­ned.
"If I saw you ac­cep­ted as you sho­uld be," sa­id my fat­her, "I think I co­uld be­co­me re­con­ci­led."
We tal­ked to Cla­re. Did she fe­el ca­pab­le of ta­king on the res­pon­si­bi­li­ti­es of the ho­use­hold af­ter such a short ti­me?
She rep­li­ed ear­nestly that she wo­uld do everyt­hing wit­hin her po­wer to jus­tify our trust in her.
"I fe­el I ha­ve go­od fri­ends he­re," she sa­id.
"They are so kind at the Ma­nor and the vi­ca­ra­ge, and I ha­ve the Cam­bor­ne twins. Oh yes, I cer­ta­inly do fe­el that I am among fri­ends. I am su­re that if the­re are any dif­fi­cul­ti­es whi­le you are away- which I don't re­al­ly an­ti­ci­pa­te-1 shall ha­ve plenty of fri­ends to help me out of them."
"We are not qu­ite su­re how long this com­mis­si­on will ta­ke to carry out.
It de­pends so much on the su­bj­ect. Then, when we ha­ve fi­nis­hed in Nor­mandy we may ha­ve to go on to Pa­ris."
"You can rest happy that all will be ta­ken ca­re of he­re," Cla­re as­su­red us.
So in less than two we­eks af­ter my fat­her had re­ce­ived the in­vi­ta­ti­on he and I we­re set­ting out for the Cha­te­au de Cen­te­vil­le in Nor­mandy.
Within the Cha­te­au -t^ sy‹‹fy The jo­ur­ney wo­uld ha­ve be­en ti­ring but for the fact that I was so ex­ci­ted by everyt­hing I saw. I had ne­ver be­en out of the co­untry be­fo­re and I was eager to miss not­hing. The cros­sing was smo­oth and af­ter what se­emed li­ke an in­ter­mi­nab­le tra­in jo­ur­ney we ar­ri­ved at Ro­u­en. The­re we to­ok anot­her tra­in which wo­uld carry us to Cen­te­vil­le.
It was la­te af­ter­no­on when we ar­ri­ved. We had be­en tra­vel­ling sin­ce the early mor­ning of the pre­vi­o­us day and in spi­te of the in­te­rest of the jo­ur­ney I was im­men­sely re­li­eved to ha­ve co­me to the end of it.
As we left the tra­in a man in li­very ap­pro­ac­hed us. I de­tec­ted a lo­ok of dis­be­li­ef in his eyes and I gu­es­sed that this was surp­ri­se at se­e­ing a man and wo­man when he had be­en ex­pec­ting a man only.
My fat­her was the first to spe­ak. His French was qu­ite go­od and mi­ne was ade­qu­ate, so we had few qu­alms abo­ut lan­gu­age dif­fi­cul­ti­es.
"I am Ken­dal Col­li­son," he sa­id.
"Might you be lo­oking for me? We we­re told that we wo­uld be met at the sta­ti­on."
The man bo­wed. Yes, he sa­id, he had co­me to me­et Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son on be­half of Mon­si­e­ur de Man­ner, Ste­ward of the Cha­te­au de Cen­te­vil­le.
"Then I am yo­ur man," sa­id my fat­her.
"And this is my da­ugh­ter, wit­ho­ut whom I do not tra­vel no­wa­days."
I re­ce­ived the sa­me co­ur­te­o­us bow, which I ack­now­led­ged by inc­li­ning my he­ad, and the man then pro­ce­eded to le­ad us to­wards a car­ri­age. It was mag­ni­fi­cent- dark blue in co­lo­ur and emb­la­zo­ned on it was a co­at of arms, pre­su­mably that of our il­lust­ri­o­us pat­ron, We we­re hel­ped in and told that our bag­ga­ge wo­uld be bro­ught to the cha­te­au. I was re­li­eved be­ca­use it was cer­ta­inly not worthy to gra­ce such a ve­hic­le. I lo­oked at my fat­her and al­most gig­gled. It was she­er ner­vo­us­ness, of co­ur­se. The ce­re­mo­ni­al na­tu­re of our re­cep­ti­on had had this ef­fect, re­min­ding me that we we­re abo­ut to fa­ce the con­se­qu­en­ces of our very rash act.
The hor­ses we­re whip­ped up and we bow­led along thro­ugh the most enc­han­ting co­untry­si­de. It was wo­oded and hilly and sud­denly we saw the cast­le perc­hed abo­ve the town- a Nor­man, grey sto­ne and imp­reg­nab­le fort­ress with its mas­si­ve cylind­ri­cal co­lumns, its long nar­row slits of win­dows, its ro­un­ded arc­hes and mac­hi­co­la­ted to­wers.
It lo­oked for­bid­ding- a fort­ress in­de­ed rat­her than a dwel­ling pla­ce, and I felt a shi­ver of ap­pre­hen­si­on run thro­ugh me.
We we­re clim­bing the gra­du­al slo­pe and as we grew ne­arer to the cast­le, the mo­re me­na­cing it se­emed to be. We sho­uld ha­ve exp­la­ined, I told myself. We ha­ve co­me he­re un­der fal­se pre­ten­ces. What will they do if they dis­co­ver? Well, they can only send us back.
I lo­oked at my fat­her. I co­uld not tell from his exp­res­si­on whet­her he felt the bro­oding po­wer of the pla­ce as I did.
We pas­sed over a mo­at and un­der a port­cul­lis and we­re in a co­urt­yard.
The car­ri­age stop­ped and our splen­did dri­ver jum­ped down from his se­at and ope­ned the do­or for us to alight.
I felt sud­denly small stan­ding be­si­de tho­se im­men­se walls of sto­ne. I tur­ned to lo­ok up at the Ke­ep, with the to­wer on it which must gi­ve a vi­ew of mi­les sur­ro­un­ding the cast­le.
"This way," sa­id our dri­ver.
We we­re fa­cing a stud­ded do­or. He rap­ped on it sharply and it was ope­ned im­me­di­ately by a man in li­very si­mi­lar to that worn by the dri­ver.
"Monsieur and Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son," sa­id the dri­ver as tho­ugh an­no­un­cing us at so­me func­ti­on. He then bo­wed to us and pre­pa­red to le­ave, ha­ving de­li­ve­red us in­to the hands of our next gu­ide.
The ser­vant bo­wed in the sa­me ce­re­mo­ni­o­us fas­hi­on and sig­ned for us to fol­low him.
We we­re ta­ken in­to a lar­ge hall with an arc­hed ro­of sup­por­ted by thick ro­und sto­ne co­lumns. The­re we­re se­ve­ral win­dows but they we­re so nar­row that they did not let in a gre­at de­al of light; sto­ne benc­hes we­re cut out of the wall; the­re was a long, be­a­uti­ful­ly car­ved tab­le in the cent­re of the hall -a con­ces­si­on to a la­ter pe­ri­od, for I pre­su­med the hall it­self was pu­re Nor­man, and anot­her con­ces­si­on was that the­re was glass in the win­dows.
"Excuse me for one mo­ment," sa­id the ser­vant.
"I will ac­qu­a­int Mon­si­e­ur de Mar­ni­er of yo­ur ar­ri­val."
My fat­her and I lo­oked at each ot­her in sup­pres­sed awe when we we­re alo­ne.
"So far, so go­od," he whis­pe­red.
I ag­re­ed, with the pro­vi­so that we had not yet co­me very far.
In a very short ti­me we we­re ma­king the ac­qu­a­in­tan­ce of Mon­si­e­ur de Mar­ni­er who qu­ickly let us know that he held the very res­pon­sib­le post of Ma­j­or­do­mo, ho­use ste­ward of the Cha­te­au de Cen­te­vil­le. He was a very imp­res­si­ve per­so­na­ge in a blue co­at with splas­hes of gold bra­id on it and lar­ge but­tons which de­pic­ted so­met­hing. As far as I co­uld see at the ti­me it se­emed to be so­me sort of ship. Mon­si­e­ur de Mar­ni­er was both gra­ci­o­us and dis­tur­bed. He had be­en mis­led. He had be­en told one gent­le­man.
"This is my da­ugh­ter," exp­la­ined my fat­her.
"I tho­ught it was un­ders­to­od. I don't tra­vel wit­ho­ut her. She is ne­ces­sary to my work."
"Of co­ur­se, Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son. Of co­ur­se. An over­sight. I will dis­co­ver ... It will be ne­ces­sary to ha­ve a ro­om pre­pa­red. I will see to that. It is a ba­ga­tel­le... of no im­por­tan­ce. If you will co­me to the ro­om which has be­en pre­pa­red for Mon­si­e­ur, I will ar­ran­ge for one to be ma­de re­ady for Ma­de­mo­isel­le. We di­ne at eight of the clock.
Would you ca­re for so­me ref­resh­ment to be sent to yo­ur ro­om me­anw­hi­le?
"
I sa­id so­me cof­fee wo­uld be ex­cel­lent.
He bo­wed.
"Coffee and a lit­tle go­uter. It shall be do­ne. Ple­ase to fol­low me.
Monsieur de Mor­te­mer will see you at din­ner. He will then ac­qu­a­int you with what is ex­pec­ted."
He led the way up a wi­de sta­ir­ca­se and along a gal­lery. Then we ca­me to a sto­ne spi­ral sta­ir­ca­se- typi­cal­ly Nor­man, which was a furt­her in­di­ca­ti­on of the age of the cast­le, each step be­ing bu­ilt in­to the wall at one end le­aving a ro­und pi­ece at the ot­her as the shaft. I was a lit­tle con­cer­ned for my fat­her as his eyes might fa­il him in the sud­den chan­ge of light on this rat­her dan­ge­ro­us sta­ir­ca­se. I in­sis­ted that he go ahe­ad and I wal­ked clo­se be­hind him in ca­se he sho­uld stumb­le.
At length we ca­me to anot­her hall. We we­re very high and I co­uld see that up he­re the light wo­uld be go­od and strong. We tur­ned off the hall to a cor­ri­dor. The ser­vant ope­ned the do­or to that ro­om which had be­en al­lot­ted to my fat­her. It was lar­ge and con­ta­ined a bed and se­ve­ral pi­eces of he­avy fur­ni­tu­re of an early pe­ri­od. The win­dows we­re long and nar­row, exc­lu­ding the light; and the walls we­re de­co­ra­ted with we­apons and ta­pestry.
I co­uld fe­el the past all aro­und me but he­re aga­in the­re we­re a few con­ces­si­ons to mo­dern com­fort. I saw that be­hind the bed a ru­el­le had be­en ma­de. It was an al­co­ve in which one co­uld wash and dress a kind of dres­sing-ro­om which wo­uld ha­ve no pla­ce in a Nor­man fort­ress.
"You will be in­for­med, Ma­de­mo­isel­le, when yo­ur ro­om is re­ady for you,"
I was told.
Then we we­re alo­ne.
My fat­her se­emed to ha­ve cast off a go­od many ye­ars. He was li­ke a misc­hi­evo­us boy.
"The an­ti­qu­ity of everyt­hing!" he cri­ed.
"I co­uld fancy I was back eight hund­red ye­ars and that Du­ke Wil­li­am is go­ing to ap­pe­ar sud­denly to tell us that he plans to con­qu­er Eng­land."
"Yes, I fe­el that too. It is de­ci­dedly fe­udal. I won­der who this Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer is?"
"The na­me was spo­ken with such res­pect that he might be the son of the ho­use."
"Surely the Ba­ron who is abo­ut to be mar­ri­ed wo­uldn't ha­ve a son ... one who is old eno­ugh to re­ce­ive us at any ra­te."
"Could be a se­cond mar­ri­age. I ho­pe not. I want him to be yo­ung, un­li­ned ... Then he will lo­ok hand­so­me."
"Older fa­ces can be mo­re in­te­res­ting," I po­in­ted out.
"If pe­op­le re­ali­zed it, yes. But they all long for the con­to­urs of yo­uth, the un sha­do­wed eyes, the matt comp­le­xi­ons. For an in­te­res­ting mi­ni­atu­re gi­ve me the not so yo­ung. But so much de­pends on this. If we can ma­ke our su­bj­ect lo­ok hand­so­me ... then we shall get many com­mis­si­ons. That is what we ne­ed, da­ugh­ter."
"You talk as tho­ugh they are go­ing to ac­cept me. I ha­ve my do­ubts. At the Co­urt of Fran­co­is Pre­mi­er they might ha­ve do­ne. He lo­ved wo­men in every way and res­pec­ted the­ir equ­al right to in­tel­li­gen­ce and ac­hi­eve­ment. I do­ubt we shall find the sa­me in fe­udal Nor­mandy."
"You're jud­ging our host by his cast­le."
"I sen­se that he clings to the past. I fe­el it in the air."
"We shall see, Ka­te. In the me­an­ti­me let us think up a go­od plan of ac­ti­on. I won­der whe­re we shall be wor­king. It'll ha­ve to be ligh­ter than the­se ro­oms."
"I am be­gin­ning to won­der whe­re this will end."
"Let us con­cern our­sel­ves first with the be­gin­ning. We're he­re, Ka­te.
We're go­ing to me­et this Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer to­night. Let's see what he has to say to yo­ur pre­sen­ce he­re. "
While we we­re tal­king the­re was a knock and a ma­id­ser­vant ca­me in car­rying cof­fee and a kind of bri­oc­he with a fru­it pre­ser­ve. When we had eaten, she sa­id she wo­uld re­turn and ta­ke me to my ro­om, which was next to my fat­her's. Then wa­ter wo­uld be bro­ught for us to wash. We had plenty of ti­me be­fo­re din­ner.
The cof­fee and bri­oc­he we­re de­li­ci­o­us and my spi­rits ro­se. I be­gan to catch my fat­her's op­ti­mism.
My ro­om was very li­ke his. The­re we­re thick car­pets on the Ho­or and the dra­pe­ri­es at the win­dow we­re of dull purp­le vel­vet. The­re was an ar­mo­ire, so­me cha­irs and a tab­le on which sto­od a he­avy mir­ror. I knew I co­uld be com­for­tab­le he­re.
My lug­ga­ge was bro­ught in and I pre­pa­red to chan­ge for din­ner.
What did one we­ar in a pla­ce li­ke this? I had ima­gi­ned that the­re wo­uld be a cer­ta­in amo­unt of ce­re­mony, and I was thank­ful for Lady Far­ring­don's par­ti­es for which I had had se­ve­ral dres­ses ma­de.
I cho­se a fa­irly so­ber one of dark gre­en vel­vet with a full skirt and fit­ted bo­di­ce. It was by no me­ans a ball gown but it had be­en su­itab­le for the mu­si­cal eve­nings which Lady Far­ring­don had gi­ven and I tho­ught it wo­uld fit the pre­sent oc­ca­si­on. Mo­re­over I al­ways felt my most con­fi­dent in that co­lo­ur gre­en jewel co­lo­ur, my fat­her cal­led it.
"The old mas­ters we­re ab­le to pro­du­ce it," he sa­id.
"No one el­se wAs very suc­ces­sful with it af­ter the se­ven­te­enth cen­tury.
In tho­se days co­lo­ur was im­por­tant and gre­at ar­tists had the­ir sec­rets which they kept to them­sel­ves. It's dif­fe­rent now. You ha­ve to buy it in a tu­be and it is not the sa­me."
When I was re­ady I went to my fat­her's ro­om. He was wa­iting for me and I had not be­en the­re mo­re than a few mi­nu­tes when the­re was a disc­re­et tap on the do­or. It was the ste­ward him­self who had co­me to con­duct us down to din­ner.
We se­emed to walk so­me dis­tan­ce and we­re in anot­her part of the cast­le.
The arc­hi­tec­tu­re had chan­ged a lit­tle. The cast­le was evi­dently vast and must ha­ve be­en ad­ded to con­si­de­rably over the cen­tu­ri­es. It se­emed to ha­ve chan­ged from early Nor­man to la­te Got­hic.
We we­re in a small ro­om pa­nel­led with a pa­in­ted ce­iling which ca­ught my eye im­me­di­ately. I sho­uld enj­oy exa­mi­ning that at so­me la­ter ti­me.
In fact the­re we­re so many fe­atu­res of this pla­ce abo­ut which I had pro­mi­sed myself the sa­me thing. We had be­en hur­ri­ed thro­ugh a. pic­tu­re gal­lery and I was su­re my fat­her fo­und the sa­me dif­fi­culty as I did in not beg­ging the ste­ward to call a halt so that we might study the pic­tu­res.
This was li­ke an an­te­ro­om the sort of pla­ce, I tho­ught, whe­re one might wa­it to re­ce­ive an audi­en­ce with a king. This Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le se­emed to li­ve li­ke a king. I won­de­red what sort ef­fa­ce he had. I had a strong fe­eling that it was not go­ing to su­it a mi­ni­atu­re.
Someone had en­te­red the ro­om. I ca­ught my bre­ath. He was the most hand­so­me man I had ever se­en. He was of me­di­um he­ight with light brown ha­ir and eyes; he was ele­gantly dres­sed and his din­ner jac­ket was of a rat­her mo­re ela­bo­ra­te cut than I was ac­cus­to­med to se­e­ing at ho­me. His very whi­te shirt was da­in­tily tuc­ked and his cra­vat was of sap­phi­re blue. A sing­le sto­ne spark­led in it as only a di­amond co­uld.
He bo­wed low and ta­king my hand kis­sed it.
"Welcome," he sa­id in Eng­lish, "I am de­ligh­ted to re­ce­ive you on be­half of my co­usin, the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le. He reg­rets he is unab­le to see you to­night. He will be he­re to­mor­row. You must be hungry.
Would you ca­re to co­me to din­ner im­me­di­ately? It is a small af­fa­ir this eve­ning. We di­ne . a tro­is . very in ti­me . I tho­ught that best on the night of yo­ur ar­ri­val. To­mor­row we can ma­ke ar­ran­ge­ments.
"
My fat­her than­ked him for his gra­ci­o­us wel­co­me.
"I fe­ar," he sa­id, 'that the­re may ha­ve be­en so­me mi­sun­ders­tan­ding and only I was ex­pec­ted. My da­ugh­ter is al­so a pa­in­ter. I find it dif­fi­cult no­wa­days to tra­vel wit­ho­ut her. "
"It is our gre­at ple­asu­re to ha­ve Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son with us," sa­id our host.
He then in­for­med us that he was Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer, a dis­tant co­usin of the Ba­ron. The Ba­ron was the he­ad of the fa­mily . He was a mem­ber of a smal­ler branch. We un­ders­to­od?
We sa­id we un­ders­to­od per­fectly and it was very go­od of Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer to show such so­li­ci­tu­de for our com­fort.
"The Ba­ron has he­ard of yo­ur fa­me," he exp­la­ined.
"As you may ha­ve be­en told, he is abo­ut to marry and the mi­ni­atu­re is to be a gift for his bri­de elect. The Ba­ron may ask you to pa­int a mi­ni­atu­re of his bri­de if..."
"If," I fi­nis­hed bluntly, 'he li­kes the work. "
Monsieur de Mor­te­mer bo­wed his he­ad in ack­now­led­ge­ment of the truth of this.
"He will most cer­ta­inly li­ke it," he ad­ded.
"Your mi­ni­atu­res are well known thro­ug­ho­ut the Con­ti­nent, Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son."
I was al­ways de­eply mo­ved to see my fat­her's gra­ti­fi­ca­ti­on at pra­ise and it was par­ti­cu­larly po­ig­nant now that his po­wers we­re fa­ding. I felt a gre­at sur­ge of ten­der­ness to­wards him.
He was gro­wing mo­re and mo­re con­fi­dent every mi­nu­te- and so was I. One co­uld not ima­gi­ne Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer be­ing anyt­hing but ple­asant and if the gre­at and mighty Ba­ron we­re li­ke him, then we we­re in­de­ed sa­fe.
"The Ba­ron is a con­no­is­se­ur of art," sa­id Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer.
"He enj­oys be­a­uty in any form. He has se­en a gre­at de­al of yo­ur work and has a very high opi­ni­on of it. It was for this re­ason that be se­lec­ted you to do the mi­ni­atu­re rat­her than one of our own co­untry­men."
"The art of mi­ni­atu­re pa­in­ting is the one I think in which the Eng­lish can be sa­id to ex­cel abo­ve ot­hers," sa­id my fat­her, off on to one of his fa­vo­uri­te su­bj­ects.
"It is stran­ge be­ca­use it was de­ve­lo­ped in ot­her co­unt­ri­es be­fo­re it ca­me to Eng­land. Yo­ur own Je­an Pu­cel­le had his own gro­up in the fo­ur­te­enth cen­tury whi­le our Ni­co­las Hil­li­ard, who might be sa­id to be our fo­un­der, ca­me along two cen­tu­ri­es la­ter."
"It re­qu­ires much pa­ti­en­ce, this art of the mi­ni­atu­re," sa­id Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer.
"That is it, eh?"
"A gre­at de­al," I cor­ro­bo­ra­ted.
"Do you ac­tu­al­ly li­ve he­re with yo­ur co­usin, Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer?"
"No... no. I li­ve with my pa­rents... so­uth of Pa­ris. When I was a boy I li­ved he­re for a whi­le. I le­ar­ned how to ma­na­ge an es­ta­te and li­ve er ... com­me Ufa­ut... you un­ders­tand? My co­usin in my pat­ron.
Is that how you say it? "
"A sort of gu­iding inf­lu­en­ce, the pat­ri­arch of the fa­mily?"
"Perhaps," he ans­we­red with a smi­le.
"My fa­mily es­ta­te is small in com­pa­ri­son. My co­usin is ... er ... very help­ful to us."
"I un­ders­tand per­fectly. I ho­pe I am not as­king im­per­ti­nent qu­es­ti­ons."
"I am su­re, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son, that you co­uld ne­ver be im­per­ti­nent.
I am ho­no­ured that you sho­uld fe­el such an in­te­rest in my af­fa­irs."
"When we ... when my fat­her is go­ing to pa­int a mi­ni­atu­re he li­kes to know as much as he can abo­ut the su­bj­ect. The Ba­ron se­ems to be a very im­por­tant man ... not only in Cen­te­vil­le but in the who­le of Fran­ce."
"He is Cen­te­vil­le, Ma­de­mo­isel­le. I co­uld tell you a gre­at de­al abo­ut him, but it is best that you dis­co­ver for yo­ur­self. Pe­op­le do not al­ways see thro­ugh the sa­me eyes, and per­haps a pa­in­ter sho­uld only lo­ok thro­ugh his own."
I tho­ught: I ha­ve as­ked too many qu­es­ti­ons, and I can see that Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer is the so­ul of disc­re­ti­on. But to­u­j­o­urs la po­li­tes­se A go­od old French sa­ying. He is right. We must dis­co­ver this all-impor­tant Ba­ron for our­sel­ves.
My fat­her tur­ned the con­ver­sa­ti­on to the cast­le. He ob­vi­o­usly felt that wo­uld be a sa­fe su­bj­ect.
We had be­en right in thin­king that the ori­gi­nal struc­tu­re da­ted back to so­me ti­me be­fo­re 1066. Then it had be­en a fort­ress with lit­tle mo­re than sle­eping qu­ar­ters for the de­fen­ders and the rest equ­ip­ped for figh­ting off in­va­ders Over the in­ter­ve­ning cen­tu­ri­es it had be­en ad­ded to. The six­te­enth cen­tury had be­en the era of bu­il­ding. Fran­co­is Pre­mi­er had set the fas­hi­on and had bu­ilt Cham­bord and res­to­red and, em­bel­lis­hed whe­re­ver he went. A gre­at de­al had be­en ad­ded to Cen­te­vil­le in his day, but this was ap­pa­rent only in the in­te­ri­or.
Wisely, the Nor­man as­pect had be­en pre­ser­ved out­wardly, which was pro­bably the re­ason why the pla­ce was so imp­res­si­ve.
Monsieur de Mor­te­mer tal­ked ent­hu­si­as­ti­cal­ly abo­ut the cast­le and the tre­asu­res it con­ta­ined.
"The Ba­ron is a col­lec­tor," he exp­la­ined.
"He in­he­ri­ted many be­a­uti­ful things and he has ad­ded to them. It will be my ple­asu­re to show you so­me of the ra­re pi­eces he­re."
"Do you think the Ba­ron will per­mit that?"
"I am su­re he will. He will be gra­ti­fi­ed by yo­ur in­te­rest."
"I am a lit­tle con­cer­ned as to whe­re I shall pa­int the mi­ni­atu­re," sa­id my fat­her.
"Ah yes, in­de­ed. The Ba­ron has emp­lo­yed ar­tists he­re be­fo­re. He un­ders­tands abo­ut the light which will be ne­eded. Pre­vi­o­usly the work has be­en exe­cu­ted in what we call the Suns­hi­ne Ro­om. That is a ro­om we ha­ve he­re in that part of the cast­le which is the most mo­dern, by which I me­an it is se­ven­te­enth-cen­tury. It was bu­ilt to let in the sun on all si­des. It is high and the­re are win­dows in the ro­of. You will see it to­mor­row. I think it will ple­ase."
"It so­unds ide­al," I sa­id.
We tal­ked de­sul­to­rily on one or two ot­her to­pics. The jo­ur­ney we had had, the co­untry­si­de com­pa­red with that at ho­me and so on, un­til fi­nal­ly he sa­id: "You must be ab­so­lu­tely ex­ha­us­ted. Let me ha­ve you con­duc­ted to yo­ur ro­oms. I ho­pe you will then ha­ve a go­od night and in the mor­ning you will fe­el ref­res­hed."
"Ready to me­et the Ba­ron," I ad­ded.
He smi­led and his smi­le was very warn and fri­endly. I felt a glow of ple­asu­re. I li­ked him. I li­ked him very much. I fo­und his per­fect gro­oming not in the le­ast ef­fe­mi­na­te, only very ple­asant. I tho­ught he had a char­ming smi­le and alt­ho­ugh his imp­li­ca­ti­on that we bes­to­wed a pri­vi­le­ge on Cen­te­vil­le by be­ing he­re might not be en­ti­rely sin­ce­re, it had cer­ta­inly put us at our ease, and I li­ked him still mo­re for that.
It was a re­li­ef to get in­to bed that night. I was very ti­red, for the jo­ur­ney and the ap­pre­hen­si­on as to what we sho­uld find at the end of it had ex­ha­us­ted me so comp­le­tely that I was as­le­ep al­most as so­on as my he­ad to­uc­hed the pil­low.
I was awa­ke­ned by a gent­le tap­ping at the do­or. It was one of the ma­ids brin­ging pe­tit de­j­e­uner which con­sis­ted of cof­fee, rolls of crusty bre­ad with but­ter and con­fi­tu­re.
"I will bring you hot wa­ter in ten mi­nu­tes, Ma­de­mo­isel­le," she told me.
I sat up in bed and drank the cof­fee, which was de­li­ci­o­us. I was hungry eno­ugh to enj­oy the rolls.
The sun was shi­ning thro­ugh the long nar­row win­dow and I felt a ple­asu­rab­le sen­se of ex­ci­te­ment. The re­al ad­ven­tu­re was abo­ut to be­gin.
When I was was­hed and dres­sed I went to my fat­her's ro­om. He had be­en awa­ke­ned when I had, and had enj­oyed his cof­fee and rolls and was now re­ady.
Monsieur de Mar­ni­er ap­pe­ared. He had inst­ruc­ti­ons to ta­ke us to Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer when we we­re re­ady.
We fol­lo­wed him to that part of the cast­le whe­re we had ta­ken din­ner on the pre­vi­o­us eve­ning. Bert­rand de Mor te­mer was awa­iting us in what I cal­led the an­te­ro­om with the pa­in­ted ce­iling.
"Good mor­ning," he sa­id, smi­ling most ag­re­e­ably.
"I trust you ha­ve slept com­for­tably."
We as­su­red him that we had and we­re most gra­te­ful for all the con­cern of our well-be­ing which was shown to us.
He spre­ad his hands. It was not­hing, he told us. Cen­te­vil­le was pri­vi­le­ged.
"Now you will wish to see the Suns­hi­ne Ro­om. Wo­uld you fol­low me."
We we­re de­ligh­ted when we saw it.
It had be­en bu­ilt by one of the Ba­rons who had had an ar­tist wor­king in the cast­le on a per­ma­nent ba­sis.
"Do you think it will su­it you?" as­ked Bert­rand.
"It's per­fect," I told him and my fat­her ag­re­ed with me.
"So of­ten one is ex­pec­ted to pa­int in ro­oms which are qu­ite ina­de­qu­ate," he sa­id.
"This will be just what we ne­ed."
"Perhaps you wo­uld li­ke to ar­ran­ge ... what has to be ar­ran­ged.
Bring up the to­ols of yo­ur tra­de, as they say. "
I lo­oked at my fat­her.
"Let us do that," I sa­id.
"Then we shall be all in re­adi­ness."
"Shall you start the port­ra­it as so­on as the Ba­ron ar­ri­ves?"
My fat­her he­si­ta­ted.
"I li­ke to talk aw­hi­le with my su­bj­ect first... to get to know him, you see."
"I am su­re the Ba­ron will un­ders­tand that."
"Well, let us pre­pa­re," I sa­id to my fat­her.
"Do you think you can find yo­ur way back to yo­ur ro­oms?" as­ked Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer.
"We ha­ve to le­arn," I rep­li­ed.
"Well, now that you ha­ve se­en the Suns­hi­ne Ro­om let me ta­ke you back.
After that you can find yo­ur own way, per­haps. "
"I shall no­te the land­marks as we pass thro­ugh," I sa­id with a smi­le. to that ro­om. It was what we wo­uld call in Eng­land a so­la­ri­um and was of co­ur­se ide­al for our pur­po­se. My fat­her com­men­ted that everyt­hing was wor­king out splen­didly.
I tho­ught he lo­oked a lit­tle ti­red and I did no­ti­ce on­ce or twi­ce that he blin­ked in the strong light of the ro­om. I co­uld see all sorts of obs­tac­les abo­ut to ri­se be­fo­re us. I co­uld not qu­ite pic­tu­re how we we­re go­ing to pre­tend he was pa­in­ting the mi­ni­atu­re when ac­tu­al­ly I was go­ing to do it. It wo­uld cer­ta­inly be a new and in­te­res­ting way of wor­king. I won­de­red how it wo­uld end.
It wo­uld be dre­ad­ful to pro­du­ce so­met­hing be­low Col­li­son stan­dards on such an im­por­tant oc­ca­si­on.
When we had re­tur­ned to our ro­oms I sug­ges­ted that my fat­her rest for a whi­le. The­re was an ho­ur or so be­fo­re de­j­e­uner and the jo­ur­ney and ex­ci­te­ment of co­ming he­re had be­en a lit­tle too much for him.
I per­su­aded him to lie down and then tho­ught I wo­uld li­ke to lo­ok at the cha­te­au from out­si­de. I put on a hat and fo­und my way down to the hall. The­re was the do­or thro­ugh which we had en­te­red on the pre­vi­o­us night. I went thro­ugh in­to the co­urt­yard.
I did not want to le­ave the pre­cincts of the cast­le so I did not cross the mo­at. I lo­oked ro­und and saw a do­or. I went thro­ugh this anu was in a gar­den. I gat­he­red I was at the back of the cast­le. Be­fo­re me stretc­hed out the un­du­la­ting co­untry­si­de with the wo­ods in the dis­tan­ce. It was very be­a­uti­ful. The gar­dens, which ran down to the wa­ter of the mo­at, had be­en ca­re­ful­ly cul­ti­va­ted. Flo­wers grew in pro­fu­si­on with co­lo­urs per­fectly blen­ded. Our Ba­ron had a fe­eling for co­lo­ur- un­less of co­ur­se he emp­lo­yed pe­op­le to se­lect them for him, which was most li­kely.
I went down to the mo­at's ed­ge and sat down. What pe­ace! I tho­ught of Cla­re at ho­me run­ning the ho­use and Evie far away in Af­ri­ca. I was une­asy and kept as­su­ring myself that the­re was not­hing to be une­asy abo­ut. If the Ba­ron dis­co R ve red that my fat­her co­uld no lon­ger pa­int, and if he wan­ted a Col­li­son, his only al­ter­na­ti­ve was to ta­ke mi­ne. And if he re­fu­sed?
Well, then we sho­uld just re­turn ho­me.
I he­ard fo­ots­teps and tur­ning sharply saw Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer co­ming to­wards me.
"Ah," he sa­id as tho­ugh surp­ri­sed.
"Have you fi­nis­hed yo­ur pre­pa­ra­ti­ons?"
"There is not much to do un­til the ... er ... su­bj­ect ar­ri­ves."
"Of co­ur­se not." He sat down be­si­de me.
"Well, now you ha­ve se­en the cast­le by the light of mor­ning what do you think of it?"
"Grand. Mas­si­ve. Imp­res­si­ve. Over­po­we­ring. I can't think of any mo­re adj­ec­ti­ves."
"Those al­re­ady sup­pli­ed are suf­fi­ci­ent."
He was lo­oking at me ste­adily and I no­ti­ced that his hand­so­me ap­pe­aran­ce had not di­mi­nis­hed with day­light. Rat­her, I tho­ught, was it ac­cen­tu­ated.
"To think of one man ow­ning all this ... it's rat­her stag­ge­ring," I sa­id.
"Not for the Ba­ron. He was bro­ught up to it. He's a sci­on of his fo­re­fat­hers. Wa­it un­til you me­et him, then you'll un­ders­tand."
"Is he. li­ke you?"
Bertrand se­emed very amu­sed.
"I think you wo­uld ha­ve to lo­ok very hard to find a re­semb­lan­ce."
"Oh."
"You so­und di­sap­po­in­ted."
"I am. If he we­re li­ke you I sho­uld fe­el very re­li­eved."
He put his hand over mi­ne sud­denly.
"That is a very ni­ce comp­li­ment," he sa­id.
"It's not a comp­li­ment. It's a sta­te­ment of fact."
He smi­led at me. a lit­tle sadly, I tho­ught. He sa­id: "No, you will find him very dif­fe­rent."
"Please pre­pa­re me."
He sho­ok his he­ad.
"It is bet­ter for you to find out for yo­ur­self.
People see ot­hers dif­fe­rently. You see him for yo­ur­self. "
"That is what you sa­id last night and yet you do gi­ve me cer­ta­in hints.
I ha­ve the imp­res­si­on that the Ba­ron is not easy to ple­ase."
"He knows what is best and he will want the best."
"And his fi­an­cee?"
"Is the Prin­ces­se de Cres­pigny."
"A prin­cess!"
"Oh yes. The Ba­ron is not only one of the we­alt­hi­est men in the co­untry, he is al­so one of the most inf­lu­en­ti­al."
"And the Prin­ces­se?"
"She co­mes from an old French fa­mily with ro­yal con­nec­ti­ons. The fa­mily ma­na­ged to sur­vi­ve the re­vo­lu­ti­on."
"The Ba­ron al­so?"
"The Ba­ron wo­uld al­ways sur­vi­ve."
"So this is the mar­ri­age of two nob­le fa­mi­li­es. One very rich, the ot­her not so rich but ro­yal."
"The Prin­ces­se is con­nec­ted with the ro­yal fa­mi­li­es of Fran­ce and Aust­ria. She will be most su­itab­le for the Ba­ron. The Cres­pigny es­ta­tes co­uld be res­to­red. If an­yo­ne can do that it is the Ba­ron."
"With his im­men­se we­alth," I mur­mu­red.
"It is a use­ful as­set."
"And the Ba­ron is happy with his co­ming mar­ri­age?"
"Believe me, if he we­re not, the­re wo­uld be no mar­ri­age."
"Be ca­re­ful," I sa­id.
"You are be­gin­ning to gi­ve me yo­ur pic­tu­re of the Ba­ron be­fo­re I ha­ve met him."
"You are go­od to re­mind me. My lips are... what you say ... se­aled?"
I nod­ded.
"Now we will talk of ot­her things," he sa­id.
"Yourself?"
"And yo­ur­self?"
Then I fo­und myself tel­ling abo­ut li­fe at Col­li­son Ho­use- the gat­he­rings at Far­ring­don Ma­nor, the vi­ca­ra­ge fa­mily and the Cam­bor­ne twins, of my mot­her's ro­man­tic mar­ri­age and the hap­pi­ness she and my fat­her had sha­red, of her. de­ath, of our luck in ha­ving Evie who had now mar­ri­ed her mis­si­onary and left the cosy pre­dic­ta­bi­lity of our Eng­lish vil­la­ge for the pe­rils of dar­kest Af­ri­ca.
"But she left us Cla­re," I ad­ded.
"She saw to that be­fo­re she went.
Evie was one of the na­tu­ral ma­na­gers of tho­se aro­und her. She lo­oked af­ter us all. every one. "
He lo­oked at me ste­adily.
"I think you are one of the­se ... ma­na­gers."
I la­ug­hed. The? Oh no. I am de­eply in­vol­ved in my own af­fa­irs. "
"I know. Pa­in­ting! For I gat­her that you pa­int too. It me­ans much to you. Are you go­ing to pa­int mi­ni­atu­res li­ke yo­ur an­ces­tors?"
"That is what I sho­uld li­ke to do mo­re than anyt­hing."
"More than anyt­hing. Do you not want a lo­ver ... mar­ri­age ... lit­tle child­ren?"
"I don't know. Per­haps. But I want to pa­int." He was smi­ling at me, and I tho­ught: I am tal­king too much. I hardly know this man. What was it abo­ut him that won my con­fi­den­ce? That in­fi­ni­te kind­ness which I had sen­sed in him from the mo­ment we met; that air of world­li­ness which pro­bably was not­hing mo­re than a mo­de of dress and be­ha­vi­o­ur.
He in­vi­ted con­fi­den­ces and I se­emed to ha­ve gi­ven him far too many. I tho­ught: I will be tel­ling him abo­ut my fat­her's enc­ro­ac­hing blind­ness next.
"It is yo­ur turn to tell me so­met­hing abo­ut yo­ur­self," I sa­id.
"It has be­en the li­fe of so many in my po­si­ti­on."
"I gat­her you spent so­me part of yo­ur child­ho­od he­re."
"Yes, I did. The Ba­ron sa­id he wo­uld ha­ve me he­re to le­arn so­met­hing of li­fe."
"What of li­fe?"
"Oh, how it is to be li­ved he­re in the co­untry ... at Co­urt. That has be­co­me for­mal now with the Emp­ress Euge­nie set­ting the stan­dards. The Ba­ron reg­rets the di­sin­teg­ra­ti­on of the mo­narchy but he is re­con­ci­led to the Se­cond Em­pi­re and sup­ports Na­po­le­on the Third ... not with re­al ent­hu­si­asm but as the only pos­sib­le al­ter­na­ti­ve to re­pub­li­ca­nism."
"Is the Ba­ron of­ten at Co­urt?"
"Quite of­ten. But I think he is hap­pi­est he­re in Nor­mandy."
"Is he a very comp­li­ca­ted man... dif­fi­cult to un­ders­tand?"
He smi­led at me.
"And the­re­fo­re a go­od su­bj­ect for a pa­in­ter. We will see if yo­ur fat­her pro­bes tho­se hid­den depths of cha­rac­ter."
"He wo­uld pro­bably ne­ed a lar­ge can­vas to do that. The mi­ni­atu­re is to go to his lady-lo­ve. It sho­uld the­re­fo­re be ro­man­tic."
"You me­an ... flat­te­ring."
"It is pos­sib­le to be ro­man­tic wit­ho­ut flat­tery."
"I fancy the Ba­ron might not be flat­te­red to be cal­led ro­man­tic. He pri­des him­self on his as­tu­te ap­pro­ach to li­fe."
"Romance is not ne­ces­sa­rily a stran­ger to as­tu­te­ness."
"Is it not? I tho­ught in ro­man­ce one saw everyt­hing thro­ugh a rosy glow."
"That is how my fat­her must ma­ke the Prin­ces­se see the Ba­ron ... thro­ugh a rosy glow. I think it is ti­me I re­tur­ned to the ho­use."
He sprang up and held out his hands. I ga­ve him mi­ne and he hel­ped me up.
He sto­od for a whi­le hol­ding my hands. It was only for a few se­conds but it se­emed lon­ger. I tho­ught how still everyt­hing was; the qu­i­et wa­ter of the mo­at, the tall mas­si­ve walls abo­ut us, and I felt myself ting­ling with ex­ci­te­ment.
I flus­hed a lit­tle and withd­rew my hands.
He sa­id: "Per­haps this af­ter­no­on ... if you are not busy ..."
"We shall not be busy un­til the Ba­ron re­turns," I sa­id.
"Do you ri­de?"
"A gre­at de­al. I hel­ped to exer­ci­se the Far­ring­don hor­ses. The lo­cal big ho­use I told you abo­ut ... They pre­ten­ded I was do­ing them a ser­vi­ce when they we­re so ob­vi­o­usly do­ing me one."
"That's the way to do a ser­vi­ce," he sa­id.
"If it is gi­ven with a re­qu­est for gra­ti­tu­de it is no ser­vi­ce."
"You are right, of co­ur­se. But why do you ask if I ri­de?"
"Because if you say yes, you do, I sug­gest we ri­de this af­ter­no­on. I co­uld show you the co­untry­si­de which might in­te­rest you. Do­es that ap­pe­al?"
"Very much."
"Have you a ha­bit?"
"I bro­ught one with me ... ho­ping ... and not re­al­ly be­li­eving in my ho­pes ... that they might be re­ali­zed so so­on."
He to­uc­hed my arm lightly.
"I am glad you ca­me," he sa­id ear­nestly.
"It is very in­te­res­ting ... get­ting to know you."
Little qu­ivers of ex­ci­te­ment con­ti­nu­ed to co­me to me. I tho­ught what a lo­vely mor­ning it was he­re in the suns­hi­ne, clo­se to the strong walls of the cast­le, the sil­ver spark­le of the wa­ter and this in­te­res­ting and most hand­so­me yo­ung man lo­oking at me with very thinly ve­iled ad­mi­ra­ti­on.
Riding out thro­ugh the be­a­uti­ful co­untry with Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer was an ex­ci­ting ex­pe­ri­en­ce. I lo­ved to ri­de and was very in­te­res­ted to exp­lo­re new ter­ra­in. I was abo­ut to em­bark on an ad­ven­tu­re and I was ad­ven­tu­ro­us by na­tu­re. I felt I was on the ver­ge of dis­co­ve­ring that li­fe was ex­ci­ting; it might be dan­ge­ro­us but per­haps I was of a na­tu­re to enj­oy a spi­ce of dan­ger and the­re­fo­re went to me­et it ins­te­ad of ta­king the ca­uti­o­us li­ne and avo­iding it.
I co­uld not re­al­ly exp­la­in this exul­ta­ti­on which I felt now. I co­uld only say that I was enj­oying this ri­de as I had ne­ver enj­oyed a ri­de be­fo­re.
Of co­ur­se it had its be­gin­nings in this yo­ung man's com­pany. I was mo­re drawn to him than I had ever be­en to an­yo­ne el­se on such short ac­qu­a­in­tan­ce. It was fas­ci­na­ting to talk to him and the lit­tle pit­fal­ls of lan­gu­age in­to which now and then we fell amu­sed us both.
We tal­ked and we la­ug­hed and the ti­me flew by most ple­asantly.
I sa­id to him: "We se­em to ha­ve be­co­me fri­endly in a very short ti­me."
"Time is al­ways too short when go­od things hap­pen," he ans­we­red.
"Life is too short. I tell myself that you ha­ve co­me he­re with yo­ur fat­her who is to pa­int a pic­tu­re and you will so­on be go­ne. How am I to get to know you if I do not do so qu­ickly? How long will it ta­ke to pa­int the mi­ni­atu­re?"
"I can­not say. So much de­pends on how the work prog­res­ses."
"Not long, I am su­re."
"I ima­gi­ne the Ba­ron will want it do­ne with the gre­atest spe­ed."
The men­ti­on of the Ba­ron bro­ught a chill in­to the af­ter­no­on. I must ha­ve be­en enj­oying it so much that I had for­got­ten him.
I didn't re­ali­ze what was hap­pe­ning to me that af­ter­no­on, but it was an enc­han­ted one. I be­gan to be­li­eve af­ter­wards that this was what pe­op­le me­ant by fal­ling in lo­ve so­met­hing which had ne­ver hap­pe­ned to me be­fo­re. I had met very few yo­ung men; I sup­po­sed I had li­ved a fa­irly shel­te­red li­fe. I had cer­ta­inly ne­ver met an­yo­ne in the le­ast li­ke Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer. His outs­tan­ding go­od lo­oks, his ele­gant clot­hes, his de­ter­mi­na­ti­on to do everyt­hing he co­uld to help, his gent­le­ness which ming­led with a cer­ta­in world­li­ness enc­han­ted me. And yet on the ot­her hand I felt pro­tec­ti­ve to­wards him, which was a stran­ge way to fe­el. I didn't know why- but then my emo­ti­ons we­re so mi­xed and so stran­ge to me. I was in the first pla­ce over­co­me with as­to­nish­ment that I co­uld fe­el so strongly abo­ut a man who was al­most a stran­ger.
So na­tu­ral­ly I was ex­ci­ted as we gal­lo­ped ac­ross the me­adow and the cast­le ca­me in­to sight. The wind ca­ught at my ha­ir un­der my hard bow­ler hat and I lo­ved the fe­el of it. I lo­ved the so­und of thud­ding ho­ofs; and he was be­si­de me, la­ug­hing, enj­oying it as much as I did.
Excitement. Ad­ven­tu­re, Da­ring. And Dan­ger . oh, de­fi­ni­tely dan­ger.
To co­me he­re un­der fal­se pre­ten­ces, to work out a de­vi­o­us plan for pa­in­ting a pic­tu­re which wo­uld be mis­ta­ken for my fat­her's work. that was su­rely co­ur­ting dan­ger.
Oh, but it was ex­ci­ting.
Even as we ro­de in­to the stab­les I was awa­re of the chan­ge. One of the gro­oms ca­me run­ning to us.
The Ba­ron had re­tur­ned.
I felt my ex­ci­te­ment im­me­di­ately tem­pe­red by ap­pre­hen­si­on. I lo­oked at Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer. He se­emed to ha­ve shrunk.
The tes­ting ti­me had co­me.
I had not ex­pec­ted it qu­ite so so­on, for as we ca­me in­to the gre­at hall the Ba­ron him­self was the­re.
There was a se­cond or so of si­len­ce whi­le he lo­oked at us. I felt then that my gre­atest fe­ars had so­me fo­un­da­ti­on.
He was an over­po­we­ring man but I had ex­pec­ted that. He was very tall and bro­ad, which ga­ve an imp­res­si­on of bulk rat­her than he­ight. He was dres­sed in dark ri­ding clot­hes which ac­cen­tu­ated the blon­de ness of his ha­ir, which was thick and glis­te­ned in the light which ca­me thro­ugh the nar­row win­dows. His eyes we­re ste­ely grey, his no­se was rat­her pro­mi­nent but stra­ight, and he had a fresh co­lo­ur which ga­ve the imp­res­si­on that he was full of he­alth and vi­go­ur. The­re was so­met­hing abo­ut him which set the alarm bells rin­ging in my he­ad. I sup­po­se I was won­de­ring how we we­re go­ing to de­ce­ive such a man.
He ca­me to­wards us, his eyes on me. His brows we­re ra­ised slightly iro­ni­cal­ly.
"Bertrand," he sa­id, 'why do you not pre­sent me to yo­ur fri­end? "
"Oh," rep­li­ed Bert­rand with a lit­tle la­ugh which co­uld only in­di­ca­te em­bar­ras­sment, 'this is Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col- li­son. "
"Mademoiselle Col­li­son?" He pa­used and lo­oked at me qu­iz­zi­cal­ly.
I had al­ways be­li­eved that when one was on the de­fen­si­ve one must go in­to the at­tack, so I ans­we­red qu­ickly: "I ca­me with my fat­her. He is Ken­dal Col­li­son who is to pa­int the mi­ni­atu­re of the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le."
He bo­wed.
I hur­ri­ed on: "I tra­vel with my fat­her. I can be of so­me use to him."
"I trust they ha­ve lo­oked af­ter you," he sa­id.
"I me­an wit­hin the ho­use­hold. I can see that Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer has per­for­med his duty as host in my ab­sen­ce."
"So," I rep­li­ed, 'you are the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le. I am glad to me­et you. "
"You ha­ve be­en ri­ding, I see."
"While we we­re wa­iting for yo­ur ar­ri­val I tho­ught I wo­uld show Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son the co­untry­si­de," Bert­rand exp­la­ined.
"What do you think of our co­untry­si­de, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son?" His Eng­lish was go­od but his ac­cent slightly mo­re fo­re­ign than that of Bert­rand.
"Very be­a­uti­ful."
"And the cast­le?"
"What was yo­ur desc­rip­ti­on," Bert­rand as­ked, tur­ning to me.
"Impressive. Imp­reg­nab­le. Ma­j­es­tic ..." ;
"I am de­ligh­ted, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son. I con­fess I am gra­ti­fi­ed when pe­op­le ad­mi­re my cast­le. I wish to me­et yo­ur fat­her."
"I will bring him to you. He is res­ting at the mo­ment."
He sho­ok his he­ad.
"No mat­ter. I shall me­et him for din­ner. Will you tell him that I wish to start on the port­ra­it to­mor­row mor­ning."
"Tomorrow mor­ning. That's rat­her early. My fat­her li­kes to get to know his su­bj­ect a lit­tle be­fo­re he em­barks."
"He will qu­ickly sum me up, I am su­re. Ar­ro­gant, over­be­aring, im­pa­ti­ent and self-wil­led."
I la­ug­hed.
"You ha­ve a po­or opi­ni­on of yo­ur­self, Ba­ron."
"On the cont­rary, it is very high. Tho­se are the qu­ali­ti­es ne­ces­sary I be­li­eve to enj­oy li­fe fully. Tell yo­ur fat­her to be re­ady to start to­mor­row mor­ning. I do not wish to was­te too much ti­me sit­ting."
I lif­ted my sho­ul­ders and glan­ced at Bert­rand. I sa­id:
"That is not re­al­ly the way in which to ap­pro­ach the mat­ter. It is not simply a pro­cess of put­ting pa­int on ivory or vel­lum or wha­te­ver the sup­port is to be."
"Oh? Then what el­se is in­vol­ved?"
"Getting to know the sit­ter. Fin­ding out what he or she is re­al­ly li­ke."
"Ah, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son, I sho­uld not wish an­yo­ne to know what I was re­al­ly li­ke, par­ti­cu­larly the lady to whom I am af­fi­an­ced. The­re are so­me things in li­fe which are bet­ter hid­den."
He was stud­ying me in­tently and I was awa­re of my un­tidy ha­ir which was es­ca­ping from un­der my bow­ler hat. I felt the co­lo­ur ri­se to my che­eks and I tho­ught: He is la­ug­hing at me, whi­le all the ti­me he is put­ting me in my pla­ce, re­min­ding me that we are emp­lo­yed he­re to carry out his wis­hes. I dis­li­ked him im­me­di­ately and I tho­ught: Is this the sort of tre­at­ment we are to ex­pect from the we­althy? Do they re­gard ar­tists as tra­des­men?
I felt de­fi­ant and did not ca­re if I of­fen­ded him. We co­uld go ho­me and he co­uld find anot­her mi­ni­atu­rist to pa­int the sort of pic­tu­re he wan­ted for his fi­an­cee. I was not go­ing to let him tre­at me in this way.
I sa­id to him: "If you want a pretty, con­ven­ti­onal pic­tu­re, Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le, it is not ne­ces­sary to call in a gre­at ar­tist. If you will ex­cu­se me, I will go to my ro­om and tell my fat­her that you are he­re.
He will see you at din­ner and then plans can be ma­de for to­mor­row's sit­ting. "
I felt his eyes watc­hing me as I tur­ned away and went ups­ta­irs.
Then he sa­id so­met­hing to Bert­rand which I did not he­ar.
I dres­sed myself in the gre­en vel­vet for din­ner and at­ten­ded ca­re­ful­ly to my ha­ir, pi­ling it high on my he­ad. I lo­oked slightly ol­der than my ye­ars and the gre­en vel­vet al­ways ga­ve me con­fi­den­ce. I knew I was go­ing to ne­ed it.
I had war­ned my fat­her that the Ba­ron might well pro­ve dif­fi­cult.
"Of co­ur­se, I only saw him bri­efly in the hall. He has a gre­at opi­ni­on of him­self and is inc­li­ned to pat­ro­ni­ze. A rat­her ob­no­xi­o­us cha­rac­ter, I'm af­ra­id ... qu­ite dif­fe­rent from Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer."
"Ah," sa­id my fat­her, 'the­re is the per­fect gent­le­man. "
I ag­re­ed.
I sa­id: "Fat­her, I don't know how we are go­ing to de­ce­ive this Ba­ron.
It is go­ing to be dif­fi­cult. And if he dis­co­vers what we are do­ing, he will be most unp­le­asant I am su­re. "
"Well, let's lo­ok at it this way," sa­id my fat­her.
"He can only send us back to Eng­land and re­fu­se to ha­ve the mi­ni­atu­re.
If he do­es that it will be be­ca­use he knows not­hing abo­ut art. Yo­ur mi­ni­atu­re will be every bit as ex­pert as anyt­hing I can do. He'll get a Col­li­son, so he'll ha­ve not­hing to comp­la­in abo­ut. Don't worry. If he sends us back . then we shall ha­ve to think what we are go­ing to do in the fu­tu­re."
When we we­re re­ady, Bert­rand ar­ri­ved. He sa­id he had co­me to ta­ke us down.
That was very tho­ught­ful of him. He must ha­ve gu­es­sed that my first en­co­un­ter with the Ba­ron had be­en dis­tur­bing.
"The Ba­ron is so used to ever­yo­ne ag­re­e­ing with him im­me­di­ately," he sa­id by way of exp­la­ining the Ba­ron's man­ner.
"And he cle­arly do­es not li­ke it when they do not."
"I think it is mo­re as­to­nish­ment than anyt­hing el­se. In any ca­se, you can stand up to him. Af­ter all, yo­ur fat­her is the well-known Ken­dal Col­li­son. I think the Ba­ron will ha­ve a gre­at res­pect for him. He re­al­ly do­es ad­mi­re ar­tists."
"And cle­arly do­es not ad­mi­re the­ir da­ugh­ters."
"Oh ... he was qu­ite amu­sed."
"He has a stran­ge way of sho­wing amu­se­ment. In any ca­se I am not su­re that I li­ke be­ing a fi­gu­re of fun."
"You will do very well. Do not let him see ... how do you say it? that he rat­tles you? If he re­ali­zes that he do­es he will try it all the mo­re to dis­co­un­te­nan­ce you."
"A most unp­le­asant cha­rac­ter."
"He wo­uld ag­ree with you on that."
"He's a throw-back to a dif­fe­rent cen­tury from this," I sa­id.
"Fortunately we ha­ve mo­ved for­ward in­to ci­vi­li­za­ti­on."
Bertrand la­ug­hed.
"How ve­he­ment you are. He was not so bad, was he? I think you ta­ke too much in­te­rest in this Ba­ron."
"I ha­ve to ..." I pa­used. I was go­ing to say 'if I am go­ing to pa­int a pic­tu­re of him'. I fi­nis­hed la­mely . 'to help my fat­her. "
My fat­her had co­me out of his ro­om. He lo­oked fra­il and I was fil­led with the ur­gent ne­ed to pro­tect him. If the Ba­ron sligh­ted him in the smal­lest way, I sho­uld de­fi­ni­tely tell the man what I tho­ught of him.
The Ba­ron was al­re­ady in the ro­om with the pa­in­ted ce­iling and with him was a wo­man. I was struck im­me­di­ately by her ap­pe­aran­ce. At first I tho­ught she was a gre­at be­a­uty, but I re­ali­zed as the eve­ning prog­res­sed that she owed that imp­res­si­on to her ges­tu­res, her clot­hes and the man­ner in which she wo­re them, to her po­ise and sop­his­ti­ca­ted man­ners. She was the sort of wo­man who co­uld put on be­a­uty as one might a pi­ece of jewel­lery. It was an il­lu­si­on but a cle­ver one. Her mo­uth was too lar­ge, her eyes too small and her no­se too short for be­a­uty. and yet she exu­ded that so­ig­nee, chic and re­al­ly be­a­uti­ful imp­res­si­on.
The Ba­ron tur­ned to gre­et us. He wo­re a dark blue vel­vet din­ner-jac­ket and very whi­te li­nen. He lo­oked very ele­gant. I felt my gre­en vel­vet was so­mew­hat out­mo­ded, and it no lon­ger did for me the things it did at Far­ring­don Ma­nor.
"Ah," sa­id the Ba­ron, 'he­re is the ar­tist. You are in­de­ed wel­co­me, sir, and we are ho­no­ured to ha­ve you with us. Ni­co­le, this is Mon­si­e­ur Ken­dal Col­li­son and his da­ugh­ter, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son. They ha­ve ho­no­ured us . you know for what pur­po­se. Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son and I ha­ve met al­re­ady. Oh bri­efly . too bri­efly. My de­ar Mon­si­e­ur and Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son, al­low me to pre­sent Ma­da­me St. Gi­les. "
I was lo­oking in­to that be­a­uti­ful fa­ce. The small dark eyes we­re fri­endly, I tho­ught, and if she ma­de me fe­el ga­uc­he and unat­trac­ti­ve, that was not her fa­ult. I did not dis­li­ke her as I did the Ba­ron.
"Bertrand, I think we sho­uld go in to din­ner," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"Yes," sa­id Bert­rand and ga­ve Ma­da­me St. Gi­les his arm. The Ba­ron to­ok mi­ne.
I was start­led. I had not ex­pec­ted this for­ma­lity, and I fo­und clo­se pro­xi­mity to the Ba­ron so­met­hing which re­pel­led me.
Oddly eno­ugh, I think he knew that I was shrin­king from him and dis­li­ked la­ying my hand even on his co­at sle­eve.
He lo­oked over his sho­ul­der at my fat­her.
"Alas, Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son," he sa­id, 'we ha­ve no lady for you. Well, you are the gu­est of ho­no­ur so that is yo­ur com­pen­sa­ti­on. "
My fat­her sa­id it was a gre­at ple­asu­re to be he­re and the Ba­ron was too kind.
I tho­ught grimly: We will wa­it and see if that is so.
Dinner was an ela­bo­ra­te me­al- mo­re so than it had be­en on the pre­vi­o­us night, but not ne­arly so enj­oyab­le. This was due to the Ba­ron's pre­sen­ce.
The con­ver­sa­ti­on, out of de­fe­ren­ce to my fat­her, ge­ne­ral­ly con­cer­ned art.
"My fat­her was a col­lec­tor," the Ba­ron told us, 'and he ta­ught me to fol­low in his fo­ots­teps. I ha­ve al­ways had a strong ap­pre­ci­ati­on of the cre­ati­ve arts . whet­her it be in li­te­ra­tu­re, sculp­tu­re, mu­sic, or pa­in­ting . I ha­ve al­ways be­li­eved in ab­so­lu­te ho­nesty re­gar­ding them.
I know you will ag­ree with me, Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son. All gre­at ar­tists must. I do not li­ke be­ca­use I am told I must li­ke. A work of art must ple­ase me. I think it is a dis­ser­vi­ce to art to aban­don ho­nesty for the sa­ke of be­ing in the fas­hi­on. I li­ke a work of art for what it me­ans to me . not for the sig­na­tu­re in the cor­ner if it is a pic­tu­re, or on the co­ver of a bo­ok if it is li­te­ra­tu­re. "
I co­uldn't help ap­pla­uding this sen­ti­ment. I wo­uld re­mind him of it if he we­re to dis­co­ver I, a wo­man, had pa­in­ted his port­ra­it- that wo­uld be af­ter he had exp­res­sed ap­pro­val of it, of co­ur­se.
"You are qu­ite right, Ba­ron," sa­id Ma­da­me St. Gi­les.
"I co­uld not ag­ree mo­re."
He lo­oked at her misc­hi­evo­usly.
"In yo­ur ca­se, Ni­co­le, it might be wi­ser to ta­ke no­te of the na­me of the ar­tist ... be­ca­use, my de­ar, I'm af­ra­id you lack the jud­ge­ment to de­ci­de for yo­ur­self Ni­co­le la­ug­hed.
"The Ba­ron is right, you know," she sa­id, lo­oking at me and my fat­her.
"You will find me a comp­le­te ig­no­ra­mus. One vir­tue I ha­ve, tho­ugh. I am awa­re of my ig­no­ran­ce. So many pe­op­le are comp­le­tely ob­li­vi­o­us of the­irs. Now this is a vir­tue, is it not?"
"A very gre­at one," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"Ah, if only ever­yo­ne had yo­ur go­od sen­se."
"But who is to say who­se jud­ge­ment is to be res­pec­ted?" I as­ked.
"There is a sa­ying in my co­untry that " Go­od tas­te is what I ha­ve. Bad tas­te is what ever­yo­ne el­se has who do­es not ag­ree with me. "
"I see we ha­ve a phi­lo­sop­her he­re," sa­id the Ba­ron, fi­xing me with his cold grey eyes.
"Answer that if you can, Ni­co­le, for I can­not at­tack such lo­gic."
Then he tal­ked to my fat­her. We wo­uld start the port­ra­it the fol­lo­wing mor­ning. He was an­xi­o­us to get it comp­le­ted qu­ickly and co­uld not stay long at the cast­le. He had bu­si­ness in Pa­ris.
"A work of art can­not be hur­ri­ed," I sa­id.
"I see now why you ha­ve bro­ught yo­ur da­ugh­ter with you," re­tor­ted the Ba­ron.
"She is go­ing to ke­ep us all in go­od or­der."
"Oh, Ka­te is very use­ful to me," sa­id my fat­her.
"I ha­ve co­me to rely on her."
"Everyone sho­uld ha­ve so­me­one on whom he or she can. rely. Don't you ag­ree, Ni­co­le? Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son? Bert­rand?"
Bertrand sa­id that it was com­for­ting.
Madame St. Gi­les sa­id it was ne­ces­sary.
I sa­id I tho­ught that one sho­uld be self re­li­ant if that we­re pos­sib­le.
"As you are, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son, I see. How do you work, Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son? I did so ad­mi­re the mi­ni­atu­re you did of the Graf­von Eng­he­im. I saw it when I was in Ba­va­ria. In fact it was what de­ci­ded me that I wo­uld ask you to exe­cu­te this com­mis­si­on for me."
"The Gra­tis a char­ming man," sa­id my fat­her.
"It was &' very ple­asant stay in the Black Fo­rest. What an enc­han­ting^ pla­ce that is. I shall ne­ver for­get it." j "I li­ked, too, the one you did of the Gra­fin. You ma­de her lo­ok li­ke a prin­cess of ro­man­ce."
"A be­a­uti­ful wo­man ..."
"I tho­ught her fe­atu­res very ir­re­gu­lar."
"An in­ner be­a­uty," mu­sed my fat­her.
"Difficult to de­fi­ne in words."
"But you cap­tu­red it in pa­int. An et­her al qu­ality ... yes. It ga­ve a sug­ges­ti­on of go­od­ness. A lo­vely pi­ece of work. I can tell you the Graf was de­ligh­ted. He sho­wed it to me with gre­at pri­de."
My fat­her be­amed with ple­asu­re.
"I ho­pe that you will be equ­al­ly ple­ased, Ba­ron," he sa­id.
"I must be. I want the best you ha­ve ever do­ne. My Col­li­son must be sup­re­me. I al­re­ady ha­ve one Col­li­son in my col­lec­ti­on. You must see my mi­ni­atu­res. This one da­tes back ... ac­cor­ding to the cos­tu­me ... to the mid-se­ven­te­enth cen­tury. I fancy it was pa­in­ted just af­ter that ti­me when the Ro­und­he­ads we­re ma­king such ha­voc in yo­ur co­untry ... as the mob did for us not so long ago. That mi­ni­atu­re is one of my most highly pri­zed."
"Do you know who the su­bj­ect is?"
"No. It is just cal­led An Unk­nown Wo­man. But the­re is the dis­tinc­ti­ve KC. in the cor­ner. We had dif­fi­culty in fin­ding it but I knew it was a Col­li­son by the style. Ha­ving se­en yo­ur da­ugh­ter, I ha­ve co­me to the conc­lu­si­on that it is a pic­tu­re of a mem­ber of the fa­mily. The­re is a re­semb­lan­ce. Co­lo­uring and a cer­ta­in' he pa­used and I co­uld not re­ad the exp­res­si­on in his eyes 'je ne sa­is qu­oi... But I ha­ve al­ways be­en awa­re of it."
"I very much lo­ok for­ward to se­e­ing that," sa­id my fat­her.
"You shall. You most cer­ta­inly shall."
I was ex­ci­ted by the talk of art and his ob­vi­o­us know­led­ge. I was most eager to le­arn as much as I co­uld abo­ut him and I felt I was not do­ing too badly. I knew that he was ar­ro­gant, rich, po­wer­ful, that he had al­ways had his own way and plan­ned to go on do­ing just that. He was know­led­ge­ab­le abo­ut art and had a re­al fe­eling for it. It wo­uld be al­most im­pos­sib­le to de­ce­ive him, I was su­re. I was eager to talk with my fat­her as to how we sho­uld de­al with this dif­fi­cult si­tu­ati­on and the tho­ught that it wo­uld be­gin the next mor­ning fil­led me with ap­pre­hen­si­on.
When we ro­se from the di­ning tab­le we went back to the ro­om with the pa­in­ted ce­iling. Li­qu­e­urs we­re ser­ved the­re; I fo­und the drink swe­et and ple­asant.
After a whi­le the Ba­ron sa­id: "Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son is ti­red, I see.
Bertrand, you will con­duct him to his ro­om. Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son, I see that you are not ti­red. You wo­uld, I am su­re, pre­fer to re­ma­in and chat a whi­le. "
I sa­id that was so, and Bert­rand to­ok my fat­her to his ro­om, le­aving me alo­ne with the Ba­ron and Ma­da­me St. Gi­les.
"Tomorrow," he sa­id, lo­oking at me, "I shall show you my tre­asu­res.
Have you exp­lo­red the cast­le yet? "
"Monsieur de Mor­te­mer has be­en very go­od. He has shown me a lit­tle."
The Ba­ron snap­ped his fin­gers.
"Bertrand has not the fe­eling for the cast­le ... wo­uldn't you say so, Ni­co­le?"
"Well, it is yo­urs, isn't it? He, li­ke the rest of us, is but a gu­est he­re."
The Ba­ron pat­ted Ni­co­le's knee rat­her af­fec­ti­ona­tely. I tho­ught he must be on very fa­mi­li­ar terms with her.
"Well, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son," he sa­id, 'you know how it is. This is my ho­me. It is bu­ilt by my an­ces­tor and is one of the first the Nor­mans bu­ilt in Fran­ce. The­re we­re Cen­te­vil­les li­ving he­re from the early days when Gre­at Rol­lo ca­me har­rying the co­ast of Fran­ce, with such suc­cess that the French King sa­id that the only way to stop this per­pe­tu­al ha­ras­sment is to gi­ve the­se in­va­ders a cor­ner of Fran­ce, which he did. And the­re was Nor­mandy. Ne­ver ma­ke the mis­ta­ke of thin­king we are French. We are not. We are the Nor­se­men co­me to Fran­ce from the mag­ni­fi­cent fj­ords. "
"The French we­re a very cul­ti­va­ted pe­op­le when the

D.

L.

- C sa­va­ge Nor­se­men ca­me in the­ir long ships lo­oking for con­qu­est," I re­min­ded him.
"But the Nor­mans we­re figh­ters, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son. They we­re the un­van­qu­is­hed. And Cen­te­vil­le Cast­le was he­re at the ti­me our gre­at Wil­li­am the Du­ke con­qu­ered you Eng­lish and for­ced you to sub­mit to Nor­man ru­le."
"The Nor­mans won on that oc­ca­si­on," I sa­id, 'be­ca­use King Ha­rold had just co­me down to the so­uth af­ter win­ning a vic­tory in the north. If he had be­en fresh for the fight, the vic­tory might ha­ve go­ne the ot­her way. Mo­re­over, you say you de­fe­ated the Eng­lish. The Eng­lish of to­day are a mi­xed ra­ce. Ang­les, Sa­xons, Jutes, Ro­mans . and yes, even glo­ri­o­us Nor­mans. So it se­ems to me a lit­tle misp­la­ced to crow over the vic­tory of Wil­li­am all tho­se ye­ars ago. "
"You see how Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son cor­rects me, Ni­co­le."
"I am de­ligh­ted that she puts for­ward such a go­od ca­se aga­inst you, Rol­lo."
Rollo! I tho­ught. So that is his na­me. I must ha­ve shown my surp­ri­se for he went on: "Yes, I am Rol­lo. Na­med af­ter the first Nor­man to turn this cor­ner of Fran­ce in­to Nor­mandy. His bat­tle cry was " Ha! Rol­lo!
"
And it con­ti­nu­ed to be the Nor­man bat­tle cry for cen­tu­ri­es. "
"It is no lon­ger in use, I trust."
I co­uld not un­ders­tand this im­pul­se in me to at­tack him at every turn.
It was most un­wi­se sin­ce we had to try to ple­ase him; and he­re I was an­ta­go­ni­zing him be­fo­re we be­gan.
But he did not lo­ok disp­le­ased. He was ac­tu­al­ly smi­ling, and it oc­cur­red to me that he was enj­oying the con­ver­sa­ti­on. I was be­ing as unp­le­asant as I co­uld wit­ho­ut be­ing ru­de. How stran­ge that he- who was used to sycop­hants- sho­uld not obj­ect. It must be be­ca­use it was so ra­rely that an­yo­ne sto­od out aga­inst him.
But Ni­co­le was by no me­ans a sycop­hant. Per­haps that was why he li­ked her as he ob­vi­o­usly did.
Bertrand had re­tur­ned.
He sa­id to me: "Per­haps you wo­uld li­ke to ta­ke a walk in the gro­unds be­fo­re re­ti­ring for the night?"
I ro­se with alac­rity.
"That wo­uld be de­light­ful," I sa­id.
"You ne­ed a wrap. Shall I go and get one?"
"Take mi­ne," sa­id Ni­co­le.
"It will sa­ve a jo­ur­ney up to yo­ur ro­om. I don't ne­ed it."
She han­ded me a scrap of chif­fon which se­emed to ta­ke its co­lo­ur from wha­te­ver it co­ve­red. It was de­co­ra­ted with a bor­der of se­qu­in­ned stars.
"Oh.. thank you," I sa­id. "It lo­oks too... pretty. I sho­uld be af­ra­id to harm it."
"Nonsense," sa­id Ni­co­le co­ming to me, and her­self put it ro­und my sho­ul­ders. I tho­ught she was very char­ming.
Bertrand and I went out thro­ugh the co­urt­yard to the mo­at.
"Well, what did you think of the Ba­ron?" he as­ked.
"It's rat­her too big a qu­es­ti­on to ans­wer bri­efly," I sa­id.
"It's li­ke conf­ron­ting so­me­one with the Ni­aga­ra Fa­ils and as­king for an im­me­di­ate opi­ni­on."
"He wo­uld be amu­sed to he­ar him­self com­pa­red with them."
"I wo­uld say he is very cons­ci­o­us of his po­wer and wants ever­yo­ne el­se to be too."
"Yes," ag­re­ed Bert­rand.
"He li­kes us to re­cog­ni­ze that and to do exactly as he wants us to."
"Which is all right as long as it co­in­ci­des with what one wants one­self."
"You are per­cep­ti­ve, Ma­de­mo­isel­le. That is exactly how it has be­en for me so far."
"Then," I sa­id, 'you must be pre­pa­red for the day when it is not. I tho­ught Ma­da­me St. Gi­les char­ming. "
"She is con­si­de­red to be one of the most at­trac­ti­ve wo­men in so­ci­ety.
Her as­so­ci­ati­on with Rol­lo has las­ted for se­ve­ral ye­ars. "
"Her... as­so­ci­ati­on!"
"Oh! Did you not gu­ess? She is his mist­ress."
"But," I be­gan fa­intly, "I tho­ught he was go­ing to be mar­ri­ed to this Prin­ces­se."
"He is. I sup­po­se it will ha­ve to end with Ni­co­le then ... or per­haps the­re will be just a lull. She's pre­pa­red for that. She's a wo­man of the world."
I was si­lent.
He la­id his hand on my arm.
"I'm af­ra­id you are rat­her shoc­ked. Did you not know that the­re was this re­la­ti­ons­hip?"
"I'm af­ra­id I'm rat­her un­worldly. Ni­co­le ... she do­esn't se­em to be up­set."
"Oh no. She al­ways un­ders­to­od that the­re wo­uld co­me a ti­me when he wo­uld marry. He has se­ve­ral mist­res­ses, but Ni­co­le was al­ways the chi­ef."
I shi­ve­red be­ne­ath Ni­co­le's wrap. His hands wo­uld ha­ve be­en on that chif­fon, I tho­ught. I pic­tu­red him with Ni­co­le . sen­su­o­us . cyni­cal . It was a hor­rib­le pic­tu­re. I did not want to pa­int that mi­ni­atu­re.
I re­ali­zed that one co­uld le­arn too much abo­ut a su­bj­ect.
The next mor­ning our or­de­al be­gan. I ar­ran­ged a cha­ir for the Ba­ron whe­re the strong light fell on his fa­ce. My fat­her sat op­po­si­te him.
We had de­ci­ded that the sup­port sho­uld be ivory which had pro­ved to be ide­al sin­ce the be­gin­ning of the eigh­te­enth cen­tury. I sat in a cor­ner watc­hing. I was me­mo­ri­zing every li­ne of his fa­ce: the sen­su­o­us lips which co­uld be cru­el, the rat­her mag­ni­fi­cent high brow and the strong blon­de ha­ir sprin­ging from his he­ad.
He had told us that the comp­le­ted mi­ni­atu­re wo­uld be set in gold and the fra­me sho­uld be stud­ded with di­amonds and sap­phi­res. For that re­ason he wo­re a blue co­at and it cer­ta­inly ac­cen­tu­ated his co­lo­uring; it even put a hint of blue in­to the grey eyes.
My fin­gers itc­hed to hold the brush. I was de­eply awa­re of my fat­her.
He wor­ked qu­i­etly and wit­ho­ut ap­pa­rent ten­si­on. I won­de­red whet­her he was awa­re of how much he co­uld not see.
This mor­ning wo­uld tell us a gre­at de­al whet­her it was pos­sib­le to carry out this plan or not. I was not su­re what sort of mi­ni­atu­re I co­uld do from me­mory or from my fat­her's work. I was su­re I co­uld ha­ve ma­de a su­perb port­ra­it if I co­uld ha­ve go­ne abo­ut it in the nor­mal way.
I wo­uld bring out his ar­ro­gan­ce. I wo­uld cap­tu­re that lo­ok which sug­ges­ted that the who­le world was his. I wo­uld pa­int in a lit­tle of the ani­mo­sity I felt to­wards him. I wo­uld ma­ke a port­ra­it which was ab­so­lu­tely him . and he might not li­ke it.
He tal­ked whi­le my fat­her wor­ked and ma­inly to me.
Had I be­en to the Ba­va­ri­an Co­urt with my fat­her? I told him I had not.
He ra­ised his eyeb­rows as tho­ugh as­king:
Why not, sin­ce you ca­me to Nor­mandy?
"Then you did not see the pic­tu­re of the Gra­fin and her in­ner be­a­uty?"
"I very much reg­ret not ha­ving se­en it."
"I fe­el I ha­ve met you be­fo­re. It must be in the mi­ni­atu­re of the Unk­nown Wo­man. I sud­denly fe­el she is unk­nown no lon­ger."
"I lo­ok for­ward to se­e­ing it."
"And I to sho­wing it to you. How is it go­ing, Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son? Am I a go­od sit­ter? I lo­ok for­ward to se­e­ing the work as it prog­res­ses."
"It is go­ing well," sa­id my fat­her.
"And," I ad­ded, 'we ma­ke a ru­le that no one se­es a mi­ni­atu­re be­fo­re it is fi­nis­hed. "
"I don't know if I shall ag­ree to that ru­le."
"I am af­ra­id it is ne­ces­sary. You must gi­ve a pa­in­ter a free hand to do what he wis­hes. To ha­ve yo­ur cri­ti­cism now wo­uld be di­sast­ro­us."
"What if it we­re pra­ise?"
"That, too, wo­uld be un­wi­se."
"Do you al­ways al­low yo­ur da­ugh­ter to lay down the ru­les, Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son?"
"It is my ru­le," sa­id my fat­her.
He told me then abo­ut cer­ta­in pa­in­tings he pos­ses­sed not all mi­ni­atu­res by any me­ans.
"How I shall enj­oy glo­ating over my tre­asu­res to you, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son," he ad­ded.
After an ho­ur my fat­her la­id down his brush. He had do­ne eno­ugh for the mor­ning, he sa­id. Mo­re­over, he gu­es­sed the Ba­ron must be ti­red of sit­ting.
The Ba­ron ro­se and stretc­hed him­self, con­fes­sing that it was unu­su­al for him to sit so long at one ti­me.
"How many sit­tings shall you ne­ed?" he as­ked.
"I can­not say as yet," rep­li­ed my fat­her.
"Well, I must in­sist that Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son re­ma­ins with us so that she may di­vert me," he sa­id.
"Very well," I rep­li­ed, per­haps too eagerly.
"I shall be the­re."
He bo­wed and left us.
I lo­oked at my fat­her. I tho­ught he se­emed very ti­red. He sa­id: "The light is so strong."
"It is what we must ha­ve."
I stu­di­ed the work he had do­ne. It was not bad but I co­uld de­tect an un­su­re stro­ke he­re and the­re.
I sa­id: "I ha­ve be­en stud­ying him clo­sely. I know his fa­ce well. I am su­re I can work from what you ha­ve do­ne and what I know of him. I think I had bet­ter start im­me­di­ately and per­haps work al­ways as so­on as he has go­ne so that I ha­ve the de­ta­ils cle­arly in my mind. We'll ha­ve to see how it go­es. It will not be easy to work wit­ho­ut a li­ving mo­del."
I star­ted my pic­tu­re. I co­uld see his fa­ce cle­arly and it was al­most as tho­ugh he we­re sit­ting the­re. I was re­vel­ling in my work. I must get that fa­int hint of blue ref­lec­ted from the co­at in­to tho­se cold ste­ely eyes. I co­uld see tho­se eyes . alight with fe­eling. lo­ve of po­wer, of co­ur­se. lust. yes, the­re was sen­su­ality abo­ut the mo­uth in abun­dan­ce. Buc­ca­ne­er, I tho­ught.
Norseman pi­ra­te. It was the­re in his fa­ce.
"Ha! Rol­lo!" sa­iling up the Se­ine, pil­la­ging, bur­ning, ta­king the wo­men . oh yes, cer­ta­inly ta­king the wo­men . and ta­king the land . bu­il­ding strong cast­les and hol­ding them aga­inst all who ca­me aga­inst him.
I don't think I ever enj­oyed pa­in­ting an­yo­ne as much as I enj­oyed pa­in­ting him. It was be­ca­use of the unu­su­al met­hod, I sus­pec­ted; and be­ca­use I had a strong fe­eling of dis­li­ke for him. It was a gre­at help to fe­el strongly abo­ut the su­bj­ect. It se­emed to bre­at­he li­fe in­to the pa­int.
My fat­her watc­hed me whi­le I wor­ked.
I la­id down my brush at length.
"Oh, Fat­her," I sa­id.
"I do want this to be a gre­at suc­cess. I want to de­lu­de him. I want him to ha­ve the Col­li­son of all Col­li­sons."
"If only we can work this to­get­her ..." sa­id my fat­her, his fa­ce bre­aking up in a help­less sort of way which ma­de me want to rock him in my arms.
What a tra­gedy! To be a gre­at ar­tist and unab­le to pa­int!
It was a go­od mor­ning's work and I was very ple­ased with it.
After de­j­e­uner which my fat­her and I to­ok alo­ne as Bert­rand had be­en sum­mo­ned to go off so­mew­he­re with the Ba­ron and Ni­co­le, I sug­ges­ted that my fat­her ta­ke a rest. He lo­oked ti­red and I knew that the mor­ning's work had be­en mo­re than a stra­in on his eyes.
I con­duc­ted him to his ro­om, set­tled him on his bed and then, ta­king a sketch-pad with me as I of­ten did, I went out.
I went down to the mo­at and sat the­re. I tho­ught of how Bert­rand and I had co­me he­re and how we had tal­ked and what a ple­asant day it had be­en. I ho­ped we sho­uld see mo­re of each ot­her. He was so dif­fe­rent from the Ba­ron- so kind and gen Ie. I co­uld not un­ders­tand why wo­men li­ke Ni­co­le co­uld de­me­an them­sel­ves as she had do­ne for the sa­ke of men li­ke the Ba­ron. I fo­und him far from at­trac­ti­ve. Of co­ur­se he had gre­at po­wer and po­wer was sa­id to be ir­re­sis­tib­le to so­me wo­men.
Personally I ha­ted all that ar­ro­gan­ce. The mo­re I saw of the Ba­ron the bet­ter I li­ked Bert­rand. It se­emed to me that he had all the gra­ces.
He was ele­gant, char­ming and abo­ve all kindly and tho­ught­ful for ot­hers-qu­ali­ti­es en­ti­rely lac­king in the mighty Ba­ron. Bert­rand's task had be­en to put us at our ease on our ar­ri­val and this he had do­ne with such per­fec­ti­on that we had be­co­me go­od fri­ends in a very short ti­me, and ins­tinct told me that our fri­ends­hip had every chan­ce of de­epe­ning.
While I had be­en thin­king I had be­en idly sketc­hing, and my pa­ge was full of pic­tu­res of the Ba­ron. It was un­ders­tan­dab­le that he sho­uld oc­cupy my tho­ughts as I had to pa­int a mi­ni­atu­re of him in a man­ner I rec­ko­ned no mi­ni­atu­re had ever be­en pa­in­ted be­fo­re.
There he was in the cent­re of my pa­ge- a blo­odt­hirsty Vi­king in a win­ged hel­met, nost­rils fla­ring, the light of lust in his eyes, his mo­uth cur­ved in a cru­el and tri­ump­hant smi­le. I co­uld al­most he­ar his vo­ice sho­uting. I wro­te be­low the sketch "Ha! Rol­lo."
Round the pa­ge we­re ot­her sketc­hes of him . in pro­fi­le and in full fa­ce. I wan­ted to know that fa­ce from every ang­le and in se­ve­ral mo­ods. I had to ima­gi­ne tho­se I had not se­en.
Then sud­denly I he­ard a la­ugh and tur­ning sharply, I saw him. He was le­aning over my sho­ul­der. His hand shot out and he to­ok the pa­per from me.
I stam­me­red: "I didn't he­ar you."
"My grass is thick and lu­xu­ri­ant he­re by the mo­at. I con­fess ... se­e­ing you the­re so ab­sor­bed ... sketc­hing away ... I crept up to see what co­uld be of such in­te­rest to you."
He was stud­ying the pa­per.
"Give it to me," I com­man­ded.
"Oh no. It's mi­ne. Man Di­eu, you are a very fi­ne ar­tist, Ma­de­mo­isel­le.
Ha! Rol­lo. Why, that is mag­ni­fi­cent. "
I held out my hand ple­adingly.
"I fe­el as tho­ugh I ha­ve be­en strip­ped ba­re," he sa­id ac­cu­singly, but his eyes had lost the­ir ste­ely grey. He was amu­sed and ple­ased.
"I did not re­ali­ze that you knew me so well," he went on.
"And to draw this wit­ho­ut a mo­del! Why, you are a dra­ughts man Ma­de­mo­isel­le. I of­ten say that the re­ason so many ar­tists to­day are me­di­oc­re is be­ca­use they ne­ver le­ar­ned how to draw. How did you co­me to know me so well?"
"I don't know you. I know a lit­tle of yo­ur fa­ce. But I was with you this mor­ning du­ring the sit­ting."
"I no­ti­ced how you kept yo­ur gim­let eye on me. Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son'ji­oy sho­uld be pa­in­ting a mi­ni­atu­re of me."
"That is for my fat­her," I sa­id.
"You can dest­roy that pa­per."
"Destroy it! Ne­ver! It's too go­od for that. I shall ke­ep it. It will al­ways re­mind me of you, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son. I ha­ve so­met­hing el­se to re­mind me too. The mi­ni­atu­re of which I was tel­ling you. You must see it. I can't wa­it any lon­ger to show it to you."
He held out a hand to help me to my fe­et.
I sa­id: "My fat­her is res­ting. I tho­ught he sho­uld do so."
"Well, af­ter a trying mor­ning ..." he sa­id al­most misc­hi­evo­usly.
"Now you and I will go and see the mi­ni­atu­res, shall we? I re­fu­se to wa­it a mo­ment lon­ger be­fo­re sho­wing you yo­ur do­ub­le."
I went with him in­to the cast­le. He was car­rying my sketch-pad.
Fortunately the­re was not­hing el­se on it but a few sketc­hes of tre­es and the mo­at.
He to­ok me to a part of the cast­le whe­re I had not be­en be­fo­re.
"This sec­ti­on was res­to­red in the mid-eigh­te­enth cen­tury," he told me.
"It's rat­her ele­gant, don't you think?"
I ag­re­ed it was.
"Entirely French," I com­men­ted, and I co­uld not help ad­ding: "Rat­her dif­fe­rent from the com­pa­ra­ti­vely cru­de as­pect of Nor­man arc­hi­tec­tu­re."
"Precisely," he rep­li­ed, 'but lac­king the an­ti­qu­ity. Why, it is not a hund­red ye­ars old yet. So mo­dern! But a fi­ne pi­ece of arc­hi­tec­tu­re all the sa­me. What do you think of the fur­ni­tu­re? It was ma­de by Go­ur­din and Blanc­hard Ga­mi­er. "
"Delightful," I sa­id.
"Come with me." He ope­ned a do­or and we we­re in a small cham­ber, the ce­iling of which was pa­in­ted with a ce­les­ti­al sce­ne. An­gels flo­ated ac­ross a he­aven of ex­qu­isi­te blue dot­ted with gol­den stars.
The walls we­re pa­nel­led and on the­se hung the mi­ni­atu­res. The­re must ha­ve be­en abo­ut fifty of them and they we­re all ex­qu­isi­te and of gre­at va­lue. They we­re of all pe­ri­ods da­ting back to the early fo­ur­te­enth cen­tury and many of them we­re on sup­ports of vel­lum and parch­ment, me­tal, sla­te and wo­od which was lar­gely used at that ti­me.
"They are be­a­uti­ful," I cri­ed.
"I think so too. It's a de­light­ful exp­res­si­on of art. Mo­re dif­fi­cult to exe­cu­te, I ima­gi­ne, than a lar­ge can­vas. The ar­tist must be rest­ric­ted. You must ha­ve very ke­en eyes for such work." He he­si­ta­ted and my he­art star­ted to be­at very fast. For a mo­ment I tho­ught: He knows! Then he went on: "I sho­uld ha­ve li­ked to be a pa­in­ter myself, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son. I lo­ve art. I un­ders­tand it. I can cri­ti­ci­ze it... see what is wrong ... even fe­el I know how it sho­uld ha­ve be­en do­ne... but I can't pa­int. That's rat­her a tra­gedy, don't you think?"
"You are an ar­tist man­que," I sa­id.
"Yes, I do think that is rat­her sad. It's bet­ter I think to be born wit­ho­ut the ur­ge to pa­int than to ha­ve it and not be ab­le to use it."
"I knew you wo­uld un­ders­tand. I lack the di­vi­ne spark. Is that what it is? I co­uld mix the pa­ints. I ha­ve an eye for co­lo­ur ... but alas, the spi­rit which ma­kes pa­in­ting gre­at is lac­king, But let me show you my Unk­nown Wo­man."
He to­ok me to it, and I was start­led. It co­uld ha­ve be­en a pa­in­ting of me. The red­dish tint in the fi­ne abun­dant ha­ir es­ca­ping from the jewel­led sno­od which held it. the tawny eyes . the firm chin . they might well ha­ve be­en mi­ne. The Unk­nown Wo­man was dres­sed in gre­en vel­vet and the co­lo­ur of the dress bro­ught out this stri­king tint in her ha­ir.
He la­id a hand on my sho­ul­der. The­re! Now you see what I me­an. "
"It's ext­ra­or­di­nary," I ag­re­ed.
"And it re­al­ly is a Col­li­son?"
He nod­ded.
"Nobody knows which one. You ti­re­so­me pe­op­le al­ways call yo­ur­sel­ves K.
If only you had had a va­ri­ety of ini­ti­als what a lot of tro­ub­le you wo­uld ha­ve sa­ved."
I co­uldn't stop lo­oking at the pic­tu­re.
"It's al­ways be­en a fa­vo­uri­te of mi­ne," he sa­id.
"Now I ne­ed no lon­ger call it the Unk­nown Wo­man. It now has a na­me for me: Ma­de­mo­isel­le Ka­te Col­li­son."
"Have you had it long?"
"It has al­ways be­en in the fa­mily col­lec­ti­on for as long as I can re­mem­ber. I think in the past one of my an­ces­tors must ha­ve be­en on very fri­endly terms with one of yo­urs. Why ot­her­wi­se sho­uld he ha­ve wan­ted a mi­ni­atu­re of the lady? It's a very in­te­res­ting tho­ught, don't you ag­ree?"
"It co­uld ha­ve co­me in­to his pos­ses­si­on in so­me ot­her way. You don't know the iden­tity of se­ve­ral of the pe­op­le port­ra­yed, I am su­re. It is cer­ta­inly a col­lec­ti­on you can be pro­ud of."
"I shall ho­pe to add two mo­re to it shortly."
"I tho­ught the one... my fat­her was pa­in­ting was for yo­ur bri­de elect."
"It is. But she will li­ve he­re, and our two mi­ni­atu­res will be hung si­de by si­de on this wall."
I nod­ded.
"I ho­pe," he went on, 'that I shall ha­ve the ple­asu­re of sho­wing you ot­her tre­asu­res of mi­ne. I ha­ve so­me fi­ne pic­tu­res as well as fur­ni­tu­re. You are an ar­tist, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son. Oh for­tu­na­te Ma­de­mo­isel­le Co­Hi­son . a re­al ar­tist. not an ar­tist man­que such as I am. "
"I am su­re you are the last per­son to fe­el sorry for yo­ur­self.
Therefore you can­not ex­pect ot­her pe­op­le to be. "
"Why so?"
"Well, you hap­pen to think you are the most im­por­tant per­son not only in Nor­mandy but thro­ug­ho­ut the en­ti­re co­untry, I ima­gi­ne."
"Is that how you see me?"
"Oh no," I sa­id.
"It is how you see yo­ur­self. Thank you for sho­wing me the mi­ni­atu­res.
They are most in­te­res­ting ... Now I think I sho­uld re­turn to my ro­om.
It is ti­me to dress for din­ner."
The days which fol­lo­wed we­re the most ex­ci­ting of my li­fe- up to that ti­me. I had ma­de two dis­co­ve­ri­es which co­uld not be de­ni­ed- one sad, the ot­her ex­hi­la­ra­ting be­yond my ex­pec­ta­ti­ons. My fat­her wo­uld not be ab­le to pa­int mi­ni­atu­res aga­in. I co­uld see cle­arly that the ne­ces­sary deft­ness of to­uch had de­ser­ted him. He co­uld not see well eno­ugh, and to be the smal­lest frac­ti­on of an inch out of pla­ce in such a small area co­uld chan­ge a fe­atu­re en­ti­rely. He might go to lar­ger can­va­ses for a whi­le but in ti­me even that wo­uld be over for him. The ot­her dis­co­very was that I was a pa­in­ter worthy of the na­me of Col­li­son. I co­uld put tho­se ini­ti­als on my mi­ni­atu­res and no­ne wo­uld be ab­le to qu­es­ti­on the fact that they had not be­en do­ne by a gre­at ar­tist.
I co­uld not wa­it to get to work every mor­ning. I don't know how I sat thro­ugh tho­se ses­si­ons whi­le my fat­her wor­ked and the Ba­ron sat the­re smi­ling a rat­her enig­ma­tic smi­le, ma­king li­vely con­ver­sa­ti­on with me or so­me­ti­mes lap­sing in­to what se­emed li­ke a bro­oding si­len­ce.
I wo­uld dash to the dra­wer in which I kept my work and ta­ke out that pic­tu­re. It was gro­wing un­der my hands; it la­ug­hed at me; it moc­ked me; it was cru­el; it was amu­sed; it sug­ges­ted po­wer and an im­men­se ruth­les­sness. I had cap­tu­red this man and shut him up in my mi­ni­atu­re.
To ha­ve bro­ught all this in­to such a small spa­ce was an ac­hi­eve­ment, I knew.
My fat­her gas­ped when he saw it and sa­id he had ne­ver se­en anyt­hin­gof­mi­ne-or his for that mat­ter-to equ­al it.
I be­gan to think that this way of wor­king was per­haps mo­re re­war­ding than con­ven­ti­onal sit­tings. I felt I knew the man. I co­uld al­most fol­low his tho­ughts. My ex­ci­te­ment was so in­ten­se that I wo­uld find myself ga­zing at him du­ring me­als or whe­ne­ver I was in his com­pany.
Several ti­mes he ca­ught me at it; then he ga­ve me one of tho­se enig­ma­ti­cal smi­les.
What stran­ge days they we­re! I felt as tho­ugh I had step­ped out­si­de the li­fe I had known in­to a dif­fe­rent world. The Far­ring­dons, the Me­adows, the Cam­bor­nes se­emed mi­les away . on anot­her pla­net al­most.
This co­uld not last, of co­ur­se. I think per­haps it owed its fas­ci­na­ti­on to the fact that it was ine­vi­tably tran­si­ent.
I sho­uld go away from he­re. For­get the Ba­ron who had ob­ses­sed me all the­se days; but the ti­me I had spent he­re wo­uld in a way be ca­ught up and imp­ri­so­ned in the mi­ni­atu­re.
Then the­re was Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer. Our fri­ends­hip was prog­res­sing at unu­su­al spe­ed. It was a gre­at joy to be with him. We ro­de to­get­her of­ten. He desc­ri­bed the fa­mily es­ta­te which was si­tu­ated so­uth of Pa­ris.
"Not a big one," he sa­id.
"Nothing li­ke Cen­te­vil­le ... but it is ple­asant... with the Lo­ire clo­se by and all tho­se be­a­uti­ful cast­les to ma­ke one fe­el pro­ud every ti­me one catc­hes a glimp­se of them."
"I sho­uld lo­ve to see them."
"They are far mo­re be­a­uti­ful than this stark old Nor­man fort­ress. They are bu­ilt for li­ving in, for ce­leb­ra­ti­ons, ban yes, for enj­oying li­fe, not figh­ting for it as they did in this grey sto­ne cast­le. I fe­el so dif­fe­rent when I'm at Cen­te­vil­le. "
"Are you he­re of­ten?"
"Whenever I am sent for."
"You me­an by the Ba­ron?"
"Who el­se? His fat­her set him­self up as he­ad of the fa­mily and Rol­lo has in­he­ri­ted the crown."
"Still, I sup­po­se you co­uld es­ca­pe from the yo­ke."
"Rollo wo­uld frown on that."
"Who ca­res for Rol­lo ... out­si­de the pre­cincts of the Cast­le of­Cen­te­vil­le?"
"He has a way of sho­wing his disp­le­asu­re which can be un­com­for­tab­le."
"Does that mat­ter very much?"
"It's usu­al­ly a prac­ti­cal disp­le­asu­re."
I shi­ve­red.
"Let's talk abo­ut mo­re ple­asant things. How is the mi­ni­atu­re go­ing?"
"Very well, I think."
"Is yo­ur fat­her ple­ased with it?"
"Very."
"I da­re say we shall be se­e­ing it so­on. What do­es Rol­lo think?"
"He hasn't se­en it yet."
"I sho­uld ha­ve tho­ught he wo­uld ha­ve de­man­ded to."
"He do­esn't exert the sa­me po­wer over vi­si­ting ar­tists as he do­es in his fa­mily circ­le, you see."
He la­ug­hed and then was se­ri­o­us.
"Kate," he sa­id- for so­me ti­me he had cal­led me by my Chris­ti­an na­me.
"When it is over, you will go away from he­re ..."
"If our work is ap­pro­ved we shall go to Pa­ris to pa­int the Prin­ces­se."
"But you will go from he­re ..."
"And you?"
"I shall he­ar what I am ex­pec­ted to do. The­re is al­ways so­met­hing.
When Rol­lo asks me he­re it is for a re­ason. He has not yet exp­la­ined that to me."
"Can't you ask him?"
"He has not pre­ci­sely sa­id the­re is so­met­hing. I am me­rely sur­mi­sing the­re is be­ca­use when I am in­vi­ted he­re it is usu­al­ly be­ca­use I am go­ing to be as­ked ... no, told... to do so­met­hing."
"The mo­re I he­ar of the mighty Rol­lo, the mo­re I dis­li­ke him." My lips cur­led. I was thin­king of that gle­am of ac­qu­isi­ti­ve­ness I was go­ing to get in­to his eyes cold grey with a hint of blue ref­lec­ti­on from the co­at he was we­aring.
"He do­esn't ca­re abo­ut be­ing li­ked. He wants to be fe­ared."
"Thank he­aven I am be­yond his sphe­re of inf­lu­en­ce. If he do­esn't li­ke my ... my fat­her's work ... we shall shrug our sho­ul­ders and de­part, ta­king the mi­ni­atu­re with us ... wit­ho­ut the mag­ni­fi­cent di­amond and sap­phi­re fra­me, of co­ur­se ... and per­haps it will be for sa­le in so­me Lon­don jewel­ler's. It wo­uld be rat­her fun to call it Port­ra­it of an Unk­nown Man."
"Yes, I can see that you are not in the le­ast ove­ra­wed by him. He se­es it too. Ever­yo­ne el­se is ... ex­cept Ni­co­le. May­be that is why he is fond ot­her."
"How can he be fond of her when he is go­ing to marry so­me­one el­se? I won­der Ni­co­le stays he­re. Why do­esn't she tell him to get on with his mar­ri­age and simply go away."
"It is how things are in so­me circ­les. No one thinks any the wor­se of Ni­co­le for be­ing Rol­lo's mist­ress."
"I sup­po­se if she we­re the co­ach­man's mist­ress it wo­uld be a dif­fe­rent mat­ter."
"But of co­ur­se."
I burst out la­ug­hing. We both did. The in­cong­ru­ity of the si­tu­ati­on struck us si­mul­ta­ne­o­usly.
We wal­ked arm in arm thro­ugh the gar­dens.
"Things are run dif­fe­rently in Fran­ce from in Eng­land," exp­la­ined Bert­rand.
"We are mo­re for­mal per­haps, but mo­re re­alis­tic."
"More for­mal cer­ta­inly. I sup­po­se Ni­co­le's sta­ying he­re in the­se cir­cums­tan­ces is re­alis­tic be­ca­use it is ac­tu­al­ly hap­pe­ning. But I do think it is ... what shall I say ... cyni­cal."
"Cynical per­haps," he ag­re­ed.
"The Ba­ron," I went on, 'is cer­ta­inly cyni­cal. He thinks this is a per­fectly nor­mal si­tu­ati­on . for a Ba­ron.
"I want this wo­man," he says.
"I no lon­ger want this wo­man. It is ti­me I mar­ri­ed. He­re is a su­itab­le match. Go­odb­ye, Ni­co­le. Wel­co­me, Prin­ces­se, to Cen­te­vil­le."
I sup­po­se it is be­ca­use she is a prin­ces­se that she is so wel­co­me. "
"Undoubtedly."
"And you calmly ac­cept that?"
"I ac­cept it be­ca­use I can do not­hing el­se. Mo­re­over it is not my af­fa­ir."
"You are not li­ke that, Bert­rand, are you?"
He lo­oked at me ste­adily.
"No," he sa­id.
"I am ro­man­tic and I think you and I are ali­ke in so­me ways, Ka­te."
He drew me to him then and kis­sed me; and I was very happy.
People ca­me to stay at the cast­le sop­his­ti­ca­ted pe­op­le from Pa­ris.
In the eve­nings we di­ned in the gre­at hall. The­re we­re no lon­ger the in­ti­ma­te din­ners. The­re was mu­sic, dan­cing and a gre­at de­al of gamb­ling. Bert­rand al­ways so­ught me out at the­se gat­he­rings and we wo­uld talk a gre­at de­al to­get­her. Our fri­ends­hip was ri­pe­ning. I wo­uld lo­ok for him as so­on as I jo­ined the as­sembly.
"He was so kind and al­ways help­ful. My fat­her re­ti­red early on the­se oc­ca­si­ons. He co­uld see even less now than he co­uld when we ar­ri­ved in Fran­ce.
The Ba­ron to­ok lit­tle no­ti­ce of me when he was en­ter­ta­ining his gu­ests, but I con­ti­nu­ed to ob­ser­ve him. My mind se­emed di­vi­ded bet­we­en him and Bert­rand. The cont­rast bet­we­en them grew mo­re and mo­re mar­ked. I tho­ught of them as Be­a­uty and the Be­ast.
Nicole ac­ted as hos­tess, which surp­ri­sed me yet on­ce mo­re. Ever­yo­ne ac­cep­ted her as the mist­ress of the pla­ce.
"It's rat­her li­ke the King's mist­ress," Bert­rand exp­la­ined to me.
"She was the most im­por­tant per­son in Fran­ce."
People of­ten tal­ked to me abo­ut my fat­her. The­se fri­ends of the Ba­ron we­re li­ke him­self, very cul­ti­va­ted and gre­atly in­te­res­ted in art and, as my fat­her's da­ugh­ter, I was ac­cor­ded so­me res­pect.
Bertrand sa­id: "We li­ve dif­fe­rently at ho­me. Much mo­re simply. I want you to me­et my mot­her and sis­ter. I am su­re you will li­ke each ot­her."
I tho­ught that was al­most a pro­po­sal.
On anot­her oc­ca­si­on he sa­id: "In our lit­tle cha­te­au the­re is a ro­om which wo­uld be go­od to pa­int in. It's very light and anot­her win­dow co­uld be put in."
I was gro­wing mo­re and mo­re fond of him and was happy and re­la­xed in his com­pany. I was in a way in lo­ve with him, but I was not comp­le­tely su­re of the in­ten­sity of my fe­elings be­ca­use it was dif­fi­cult to di­rect them away from the Ba­ron and the mi­ni­atu­re. When that was fi­nis­hed, I pro­mi­sed myself, I wo­uld be ab­le to sort out my true fe­elings. At the mo­ment and this was na­tu­ral eno­ugh I was ob­ses­sed by my work, even to the exc­lu­si­on of Bert­rand.
The ti­me was ap­pro­ac­hing now. The mi­ni­atu­re was ne­arly fi­nis­hed.
I glo­ated over it. I was al­most sorry that it was ne­aring comp­le­ti­on.
I felt it wo­uld le­ave a gre­at gap in my li­fe.
One af­ter­no­on when the cast­le was qu­i­et, my fat­her was res­ting and ever­yo­ne el­se se­emed to be out. I went to the ro­om to lo­ok on­ce mo­re at the mi­ni­atu­re and per­haps put one or two fi­nis­hing to­uc­hes if I con­si­de­red they we­re ne­eded.
I ope­ned the do­or. So­me­one was at my dra­wer. It was the Ba­ron and he was hol­ding the mi­ni­atu­re in his hands.
I gas­ped: "What are you do­ing he­re?"
He tur­ned and fa­ced me. His eyes we­re shi­ning.
"It's su­perb," he cri­ed.
"You sho­uld ha­ve wa­ited ..."
He was lo­oking at me slyly.
"It's not the first ti­me I've se­en it," he sa­id.
"I've watc­hed its prog­ress. The­re is no part of my cast­le that can be clo­sed to me, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son."
He lo­oked down at the mi­ni­atu­re.
"I can't stop lo­oking at it," he sa­id.
"I see so­met­hing fresh every ti­me ... It's she­er ge­ni­us."
"I'm glad you ap­pre­ci­ate it."
He la­id the mi­ni­atu­re down in a man­ner which I can only call re­ve­rent.
Then he tur­ned to me and gre­atly to my dis­may put his hands on my sho­ul­ders.
"The man in the pa­in­ting is ruth­less... po­wer-se­eking... lec­he­ro­us cyni­cal... It's all the­re. But the­re is one thing he is not, Ma­de­mo­isel­le, and that is a fo­ol. Wo­uld you ag­ree?"
"Of co­ur­se."
"Then do not go on be­li­eving that you de­ce­ived me for one mo­ment. I knew what was hap­pe­ning from the first mor­ning. What is it? Yo­ur fat­her's eyes? Or ha­ve his hands be­co­me uns­te­ady? He was a gre­at ar­tist on­ce. It is be­co­ming cle­ar to me why you ca­me with him.

"I

always go with my fat­her," he sa­id, imi­ta­ting me."
"But I was not at the Ba­va­ri­an Co­urt. I was not in Italy with him. No.
It is only to Cen­te­vil­le that I al­ways co­me." De­ar Ma­de­mo­isel­le, I do not li­ke to be de­ce­ived, but I will for­gi­ve a go­od ar­tist a gre­at de­al.
"
"You are right," I sa­id.
"That is my work. And now you are go­ing to find fa­ult with it and say that a wo­man can­not pa­int li­ke a man and that alt­ho­ugh this mi­ni­atu­re is to­le­rably go­od, it is not worth the pri­ce you ag­re­ed to pay ..."
"Are you a lit­tle hyste­ri­cal, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son?"
"I am ne­ver hyste­ri­cal' " My con­fi­den­ce in the Eng­lish is res­to­red. I ha­ve al­ways he­ard they are so calm in any cri­sis. Now . you are de­ce­iving yo­ur­self as you at­temp­ted to de­ce­ive me. I ad­mi­re yo­ur sex.
There are many things you do . di­vi­nely. Whe­re sho­uld we be wit­ho­ut yo­ur sex? And I see no re­ason why a wo­man sho­uld not be gi­ven cre­dit for her pa­ini­ing as well as all the ot­her gifts she bes­tows on us for our joy and our com­fort. "
"Then you ac­cept the mi­ni­atu­re?"
"Mademoiselle Col­li­son, I wo­uld not part with this mi­ni­atu­re for anyt­hing."
"I tho­ught it was to be pre­sen­ted to yo­ur fi­an­cee."
"To be bro­ught back he­re and pla­ced in my cast­le. I shall put it next to my lady with the ha­zel eyes and tawny ha­ir, she who was an unk­nown lady to me and is now so no mo­re. Ma­de­mo­isel­le, I am as you po­in­ted out an ar­tist man­que, but I know what is go­od art and let me tell you, you are a gre­at ar­tist."
I felt te­ars in my eyes and was as­ha­med of them. The last thing I wan­ted to do be­fo­re this man was show emo­ti­on.
I stam­me­red: "I am so ple­ased ... that you ca­re for the mi­ni­atu­re."
"Sit down," he com­man­ded, 'and tell me what is wrong with yo­ur fat­her.
"
"It is his eyes. He has a ca­ta­ract for­ming."
"That's a tra­gedy," he sa­id with ge­nu­ine fe­eling.
"And so you ca­me he­re to do his work for him."
"I knew I co­uld do it and that you wo­uld get va­lue for yo­ur mo­ney."
"Indeed. I ha­ve that. But why did you not exp­la­in? Why set up this ri­di­cu­lo­us cha­ra­de?"
"Because you wo­uld ne­ver ha­ve ac­cep­ted a wo­man. You wo­uld ha­ve tho­ught, be­ca­use of my sex, I co­uld not be as go­od as a man."
"Yet I knew all the ti­me and I think I am go­ing to be as pro­ud of this mi­ni­atu­re as of any in my col­lec­ti­on."
"You ... are mo­re en­ligh­te­ned than most pe­op­le."
R
"Hurrah! I ha­ve fo­und fa­vo­ur in yo­ur sight at last! All tho­se sketc­hes you did of me ... they are ex­cel­lent. Per­haps so­me day you will pa­int a full-length port­ra­it, eh? I very much li­ked the win­ged hel­met.
Done with a lit­tle irony, eh? How many sketc­hes ha­ve you of me, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col- li­son? "
"I wan­ted to get as many as­pects of yo­ur fa­ce as pos­sib­le and weld them in­to one. I did not want to miss anyt­hing."
"There spe­aks my gre­at ar­tist." He pic­ked up the mi­ni­atu­re aga­in.
"It's not exactly a hand­so­me fa­ce, is it? Not exactly a kindly fa­ce.
There's cru­elty in it. and all tho­se unp­le­asant cha­rac­te­ris­tics which alas you ha­ve dis­co­ve­red. "
"It is a port­ra­it of you. Ba­ron, not of Prin­ce Char­ming."
"Ah, you wo­uld ha­ve to get Bert­rand to po­se for that. As this is to go to my fi­an­cee I think I shall call it " The De­mon Lo­ver'. Do you think that ap­prop­ri­ate? "
"Perhaps," I sa­id as co­ol­ly as I co­uld.
"But you wo­uld know best abo­ut that."
I was flus­hing a lit­tle. I felt he knew too much abo­ut me, and whi­le I had be­en ob­ser­ving him I had not go­ne un­no­ti­ced in his eyes.
"Now," he went on, 'what are you go­ing to do? "
"I shall go to yo­ur Prin­ces­se if you wish me to."
"I me­an af­ter that."
"We shall go ho­me."
"And then? Yo­ur fat­her can­not con­ti­nue with his work, can he?"
"He is ca­pab­le still of so­me work. It is only the very small and de­ta­iled work which he can­not ma­na­ge."
"I ha­ve a plan. I am go­ing to show the mi­ni­atu­re. Ever­yo­ne wants to see it, you know. They talk of lit­tle el­se. I shall ha­ve a ball and the mi­ni­atu­re will be on show. The Jewel­ler is al­re­ady wor­king on the set­ting. It will lo­ok mag­ni­fi­cent nest­ling in that gold fra­me with spark­ling gems sur­ro­un­ding it. Then ... I am go­ing to tell the truth.
I am go­ing to int­ro­du­ce you as the ar­tist. I will tell the pat­he­tic story of yo­ur fat­her's enc­ro­ac­hing blind­ness . and say that in his da­ugh­ter we ha­ve an ar­tist worthy to ta­ke her pla­ce with her an­ces­tors.
"
"Why?"
"Why? Oh co­me, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son. Don't you see? The­se are rich pe­op­le. Many of them will be wan­ting a Ka­te Col­li­son. I ag­ree that the­re might ha­ve be­en pre­j­udi­ce aga­inst yo­ur sex. But yo­ur lit­tle de­cep­ti­on ... alt­ho­ugh it did not de­ce­ive me ... has wor­ked sa­tis­fac­to­rily."
I sa­id: "You will do this ... for us ..."
He smi­led at me qu­iz­zi­cal­ly.
"I will do it for a gre­at ar­tist," he sa­id.
I did not want to stand the­re any lon­ger with that strong light on my fa­ce. I did not want him to know how an­xi­o­us I had be­en and how happy I was sud­denly. And that it was due to him was iro­ni­cal and hard to ac­cept.
I mur­mu­red: "Thank you."
And tur­ning I went slowly out of the ro­om. He did not at­tempt to de­ta­in me. He sto­od still and I felt he was watc­hing me.
When I saw the comp­le­ted mi­ni­atu­re in its jewel­led fra­me I felt it was the gre­atest mo­ment of ac­hi­eve­ment in my li­fe. My fat­her had be­en de­ligh­ted that the de­cep­ti­on was at an end, and that the Ba­ron, far from be­ing an­no­yed, was highly de­ligh­ted, and was go­ing to proc­la­im me as the ar­tist at one of his la­vish gat­he­rings in the gre­at hall of the cast­le.
He had tal­ked to my fat­her, com­mi­se­ra­ted with him on his af­flic­ti­on and cong­ra­tu­la­ted him on ha­ving pas­sed on his ge­ni­us.
My fat­her was hap­pi­er than he had be­en sin­ce the dis­co­very that he was go­ing blind, and it oc­cur­red to me that all this eup­ho­ria had co­me abo­ut thro­ugh the Ba­ron whom I dis­li­ked so he­ar­tily.
He se­emed to ta­ke a de­light now in ar­ran­ging our af­fa­irs. I was to go to Pa­ris and my fat­her sho­uld go ho­me when he left Cen­te­vil­le. The­re was no lon­ger any ne­ed for the de­cep­ti­on. From now on wo­man that I was- I sho­uld be ac­cep­ted as a gre­at pa­in­ter and res­pec­ted in the sa­me way that my fat­her and his an­ces­tors had be­en. He, the Ba­ron, wo­uld ar­ran­ge that.
"Somewhere at the back of my mind I ho­ped it wo­uld turn out li­ke this," sa­id my fat­her when we we­re alo­ne.
"I don't mind lo­sing my sight so much now. You will carry on and the fact that you are a girl is not go­ing to stand in yo­ur way. I fe­el I ha­ve do­ne my duty. It is won­der­ful of him to gi­ve this ... ce­leb­ra­ti­on or wha­te­ver it is ... to la­unch you ... to int­ro­du­ce you. He is such a po­wer­ful man that his word will co­unt for a go­od de­al."
Bertrand re­gar­ded me with so­me awe.
"Why," he sa­id, 'you are mo­re won­der­ful than ever. I sup­po­se I must be mo­re res­pect­ful to you when I spe­ak to you. "
"You must be exactly as you we­re. I can ho­nestly say it was you who ma­de me fe­el so com­for­tab­le and at ease when I first ca­me to work he­re.
That fe­eling is ne­ces­sary, you know, if go­od work is go­ing to be ac­hi­eved."
"Then not­hing has chan­ged bet­we­en us?"
"How co­uld it be?" I as­ked, and he pres­sed my hand warmly.
Nicole ca­me to cong­ra­tu­la­te me.
"The mi­ni­atu­re is qu­ite be­a­uti­ful," she sa­id.
"A won­der­ful pi­ece of work. The Ba­ron is de­ligh­ted."
"He has told me so."
"And he do­es want to ... what he calls la­unch you. He ha­tes to think you may be han­di­cap­ped by yo­ur sex."
"I was re­al­ly surp­ri­sed that he is pre­pa­red to ta­ke so much tro­ub­le," I sa­id.
"I sup­po­se one sho­uldn't..."
She smi­led at me. Jud­ge one's fel­low be­ings? " she as­ked.
"No. One cer­ta­inly sho­uld not ... un­til one knows all the cir­cums­tan­ces- and it is ra­re for one per­son to know all abo­ut anot­her.
Now for the grand oc­ca­si­on. Rol­lo has put me in char­ge of it.
He is go­ing to ma­ke an an­no­un­ce­ment abo­ut you and tell them that you are le­aving for Pa­ris. You will pro­bably find one or two pe­op­le will want to ma­ke de­fi­ni­te ap­po­int­ments with you to pa­int mi­ni­atu­res for them. "
"It is a gre­at op­por­tu­nity, of co­ur­se. My fat­her ..."
"You ne­ed not worry abo­ut yo­ur fat­her. If you are an­xi­o­us abo­ut him the Ba­ron will send so­me­one back to Eng­land with him to lo­ok af­ter him du­ring the jo­ur­ney."
"Would he do that?"
"But of co­ur­se."
"I am overw­hel­med by all this kind­ness."
"When the Ba­ron ta­kes ac­ti­on he is a rat­her overw­hel­ming man. What do you pro­po­se to we­ar for the oc­ca­si­on?"
"I don't know. I ha­ven't many clot­hes with me ... and not­hing in any ca­se which wo­uld match up to the­se smart French so­ci­ety wo­men. I sup­po­se my gre­en vel­vet will ha­ve to do."
"Your gre­en vel­vet is very be­co­ming. Wo­uld you let my ma­id co­me along and do yo­ur ha­ir."
"That is kind. I know mi­ne is in­va­ri­ably un­tidy."
"You ha­ve be­a­uti­ful ha­ir and it is worth a lit­tle at­ten­ti­on."
She smi­led at me se­re­nely. I co­uld not help li­king Ni­co­le. I sho­uld ha­ve lo­ved to talk to her and ask her how she felt abo­ut this ext­ra­or­di­nary si­tu­ati­on. He­re she was, li­ke the mist­ress of the ho­use, and ac­cep­ted as such, when all the ti­me her lo­ver was ma­king no sec­ret of the fact that he was so­on to be mar­ri­ed to so­me­one el­se.
The gre­at day ca­me. I was very ex­ci­ted and so was my fat­her. Ni­co­le's ma­id ca­me to dress my ha­ir and it was ama­zing what she did to me. She bro­ught me a comb with gre­en sto­nes in it, the co­lo­ur of my dress, and when it was fi­xed in my ha­ir, I tho­ught I lo­oked li­ke a dif­fe­rent per­son LO­VER not un­worthy to mix with the so­ig­nee gu­ests be­low. But per­haps that fe­eling wo­uld chan­ge when I mo­ved among them as it used to even at the Far­ring­don Ma­nor gat­he­rings; one's ap­pe­aran­ce se­emed to be ab­le to un­der­go a gre­at chan­ge bet­we­en the bed­ro­om mir­ror and the eyes of the ot­her gu­ests.
However, I had lit­tle ti­me to think of my ap­pe­aran­ce. Ever­yo­ne was ad­mi­ring the mi­ni­atu­re and cal­ling at­ten­ti­on to its ex­cel­len­ce as they dis­co­ve­red so­met­hing fresh which ap­pe­aled to them.
The Ba­ron to­ok my hand and led me up to a da­is. We mo­un­ted the few steps and I sto­od the­re with him on one si­de of me, my fat­her on the ot­her.
He then exp­la­ined bri­efly my fat­her's af­flic­ti­on and the fact that I had pa­in­ted the mi­ni­atu­re. They se­emed to ha­ve no do­ubt that I was a gre­at ar­tist. The­re I was . so yo­ung and ta­len­ted. He was cer­ta­in that be­fo­re the end of my li­fe I was go­ing to be the gre­atest Col­li­son of them all.
People ca­me up to cong­ra­tu­la­te me. I had to pro­mi­se on the spot that as so­on as I was free I wo­uld go to the ho­use of Ma­da­me Du­pont to pa­int her two da­ugh­ters. It was a de­fi­ni­te com­mis­si­on. A Mon­si­e­ur Vil­lef­ranc­he ma­de me pro­mi­se to co­me and pa­int his wi­fe.
It was tri­umph such as my fat­her and I had ne­ver dre­amed of.
The Ba­ron was smi­ling with a fa­intly prop­ri­eto­ri­al air. He was ob­vi­o­usly de­ligh­ted with the re­ac­ti­on of his gu­ests.
When the mu­si­ci­ans be­gan to play a waltz he se­ized me and swept me off my fe­et "Do you dan­ce as well as you pa­int, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son?" he as­ked.
He was smi­ling. He­re was a new as­pect of him. He was re­al­ly qu­ite ple­ased by my suc­cess. I had not tho­ught him ca­pab­le of fe­eling ple­asu­re for ot­her pe­op­le, but I sup­po­sed that as a lo­ver of art he was so de­ligh­ted with the mi­ni­atu­re and the­re was al­so a go­od de­al of gra­ti­fi­ca­ti­on be­ca­use he had be­en awa­re of the de­cep­ti­on from the be­gin­ning.
I tri­ed to ke­ep up with him but his dan­cing was a trif­le er­ra­tic. He had a trick of lif­ting me off my fe­et so that I felt as tho­ugh I we­re flying thro­ugh the air.
"A suc­ces­sful eve­ning, eh?" he sa­id.
"The start of a gre­at ca­re­er. My bles­sings on you."
"I ha­ve to thank you," I sa­id.
"We are fri­ends at last. Is that not char­ming?"
I sa­id it was.
The dan­ce ca­me to an end. He re­le­ased me and a short ti­me af­ter I saw him dan­cing with Ni­co­le.
Many pe­op­le so­ught my com­pany that night. It was my ti­me of tri­umph, and I was yo­ung and inex­pe­ri­en­ced eno­ugh to enj­oy every mo­ment of it.
For me it was over all too so­on.
The fol­lo­wing day co­uld not be anyt­hing el­se but an an­tic­li­max. My fat­her and I we­re to le­ave Cen­te­vil­le on the day af­ter. My fat­her wo­uld go ho­me. The Ba­ron had in­sis­ted that one of his men sho­uld ac­com­pany him. I was to be ta­ken to the ho­me of the Prin­ces­se whe­re I sho­uld be­gin on my mi­ni­atu­re. Af­ter that I co­uld de­ci­de when I wis­hed to exe­cu­te the se­ve­ral com­mis­si­ons which had be­en of­fe­red to me, and I co­uld plan my li­fe from the­re.
I spent the mor­ning pac­king and then to­ok a walk ro­und the gro­unds. I was jo­ined by Bert­rand who sa­id that the Ba­ron was out ri­ding with Ni­co­le and he tho­ught he wo­uld be away un­til eve­ning. On his re­turn he wis­hed to ha­ve an in­ter­vi­ew with Bert­rand.
"It is co­ming now," he sa­id.
"I am to be gi­ven my or­ders. I think he pro­bably wa­ited un­til the mi­ni­atu­re was comp­le­ted be­fo­re gi­ving them to me."
"Perhaps he me­rely wants to say go­odb­ye. You will be le­aving so­on, won't you?"
"I plan to tra­vel to Pa­ris with you and yo­ur fat­her."
"That will be very ple­asant for us."
"I un­ders­tand so­me­one will be ac­com­pan­ying yo­ur fat­her to Eng­land."
"That is that I ha­ve be­en told."
"Then you will ha­ve not­hing to worry abo­ut. How do you fe­el abo­ut go­ing to the Prin­ces­se?"
"Do you me­an, do I fe­el ner­vo­us? The ans­wer is no... not af­ter what hap­pe­ned. The Ba­ron has re­al­ly do­ne a gre­at de­al for me."
Bertrand nod­ded.
"We will me­et when you are in Pa­ris."
"That will be very ni­ce."
"You didn't think I wo­uld let you slip away, did you?" He lo­oked at me ear­nestly.
"Kate, when you ha­ve fi­nis­hed this com­mis­si­on you must co­me and stay with my mot­her. She wants to me­et you."
"I sho­uld li­ke that very much. I'll lo­ok for­ward to it."
"Kate ..." He he­si­ta­ted.
"Yes?"
"There is so­met­hing I ha­ve to say to you."
"Well, I'm lis­te­ning."
"I... er ..." He pa­used.
"I think I he­ar so­unds of ar­ri­val. It may be Rol­lo is co­ming back al­re­ady. He'll pro­bably be wan­ting to see me.
He must ha­ve chan­ged his plans . I won­der what my or­ders will be.
Perhaps we can talk it over la­ter. "
"All right then ... la­ter."
"Au re­vo­ir, Ka­te."
He was smi­ling at me in a rat­her be­mu­sed way. I gu­es­sed what he had in­ten­ded as­king me. It must su­rely be that he wan­ted to marry me. I felt a cer­ta­in ple­asu­re at the pros­pect. I was not re­al­ly su­re. I had be­en li­ving in cir­cums­tan­ces ali­en to everyt­hing I had known be­fo­re.
It was un­ders­tan­dab­le that I sho­uld be af­fec­ted by them and to such an ex­tent as not to be ab­le to ma­ke a so­und jud­ge­ment, I had known Bert­rand such a short ti­me, yet I sho­uld fe­el de­so­la­te if I sho­uld ha­ve to say go­odb­ye to him and ne­ver see him aga­in. And yet. I was so un­cer­ta­in. I was rat­her glad that the Ba­ron had de­ci­ded to re­turn early and so had put off the mo­ment of de­ci­si­on even for a lit­tle whi­le.
It must ha­ve be­en an ho­ur la­ter when Bert­rand ca­me to my ro­om. He se­emed li­ke a dif­fe­rent man from the one I had known. His fa­ce was blotc­hed and his eyes slightly blo­ods­hot. His mo­uth twitc­hed with un­cont­rol­lab­le ra­ge.
"Bertrand," I cri­ed.
"What on earth has hap­pe­ned?"
He step­ped in­to the ro­om and shut the do­or.
"I am le­aving the cast­le at on­ce."
When? Why? "
"Now. Im­me­di­ately. I just ca­me to tell you. I will not stay he­re a mi­nu­te lon­ger than I ne­ed."
"You ha­ve qu­ar­rel­led with the Ba­ron?"
"Quarrelled?" he cri­ed.
"I will ne­ver spe­ak to him aga­in. He's a de­vil... He's wor­se than I be­li­eved him to be... and God knows that was bad eno­ugh. He's a de­mon.
I ha­te him. And he ha­tes me too. Can you gu­ess what he wants me to do?"
"No!" I cri­ed, be­wil­de­red.
He spat out: "Marry! Marry Ni­co­le."
"What?"
"He wants her set­tled com­for­tably ... and he has or­de­red me to ma­ke an ho­nest wo­man ot­her."
"No!"
"But yes. That is what he has just told me."
"How co­uld he sug­gest such a thing!"
"He just did."
"And Ni­co­le?"
"I do­ubt she knows anyt­hing abo­ut the tran­sac­ti­on. That's how it is with him. He ma­kes the laws and ot­her pe­op­le carry them out."
"But how co­uld he sug­gest such a thing. What did he say?"
"He sa­id that now he was mar­rying he wan­ted to find a hus­band for Ni­co­le and he tho­ught that I wo­uld fit the bo­ok very well. He wo­uld ma­ke her an al­lo­wan­ce and one for me and I sho­uld be con­si­de­rably ric­her than I am now. I just let him run on and then I sho­uted at him.
I told him I wo­uld ne­ver marry his cast-off mist­ress. "
"He must ac­cept that."
"He didn't. He sa­id I was a yo­ung fo­ol. I was tur­ning down a go­od of­fer. He wan­ted me to marry Ni­co­le and that was the best re­ason in the world for my do­ing so. He was go­ing to put all sorts of op­por­tu­ni­ti­es in my way. He wo­uld be my ge­ne­ro­us pat­ron ... I kept sho­uting at him that I wo­uld not marry a mist­ress he no lon­ger wan­ted.
I sa­id I had my own plans for mar­ri­age. "
"You ... sa­id that?"
"I did. He didn't be­li­eve me. Then I sa­id: " I'm fond of Ka­te, and I think she is of me. "
"What did he say to that?"
"He was stun­ned for a few se­conds. Then he la­ug­hed at me. He sa­id:
"Nonsense. She'd ne­ver ha­ve you. In any ca­se I sho­uld con­si­der such a match most un­su­itab­le." I lost my tem­per. I re­mem­be­red all tho­se ti­mes when we. my fa­mily . had had to do what he wan­ted. This was the last straw. I went on sho­uting abo­ut his thro­wing his cast-off mist­res­ses at me and that I wo­uld ne­ver marry any of them. Then I went to my ro­om and star­ted get­ting my things to­get­her . "
"Oughtn't you to wa­it un­til to­mor­row?"
"Stay un­der this ro­of! Ne­ver! The­re is an inn not far from he­re. I will go the­re for the night and then to­mor­row mor­ning I'll be wa­iting for you and we'll tra­vel to Pa­ris to­get­her."
"Oh Bert­rand," I sa­id.
"I am so sorry."
"I had to ma­ke a stand so­me ti­me. The­re co­mes a ti­me when it is simply not pos­sib­le to ta­ke any mo­re. You ga­ve me co­ura­ge. He can do me no harm. He might en­de­avo­ur to ma­ke us po­orer ... ne­ver mind that now.
I can get by wit­ho­ut him. Oh Ka­te, in a way I fe­el won­der­ful­ly re­li­eved. I fe­el free. Do you think I was right to act as I did? "
"Absolutely right."
"And don't you think it was a hor­rib­le thing to sug­gest?"
"Despicable."
He to­ok my hands and kis­sed them.
"Kate," he sa­id, 'will you marry me . when we've had ti­me to work things out? "
"Yes," I rep­li­ed.
"I will."
Finally he re­le­ased me.
"I shall be out of this cast­le in a qu­ar­ter of an ho­ur," he sa­id.
"I will see you on the tra­in to Pa­ris."
Then he had go­ne.
I was ap­pal­led by what Bert­rand had told me, and I rep­ro­ac­hed myself for ha­ving felt I li­ked the Ba­ron a lit­tle be­ca­use of what he had do­ne for me. He was ruth­less, cyni­cal and a man of no prin­cip­les.
At din­ner one or two pe­op­le as­ked whe­re Bert­rand was and the Ba­ron sa­id that he had be­en cal­led unex­pec­tedly to Pa­ris.
The next day my fat­her and I left Cen­te­vil­le in the com­pany of one of the Ba­ron's up­per ser­vants.
I felt comp­le­tely be­wil­de­red by everyt­hing that had hap­pe­ned. In a short ti­me I had not only be­en ac­cep­ted as an ar­tist of re­pu­te but had be­co­me en­ga­ged to be mar­ri­ed. I wis­hed that I did not fe­el so une­asy.
Had I per­haps be­en hur­ri­ed in­to ac­cep­ting Bert­rand's pro­po­sal be­ca­use of the Ba­ron's des­pi­cab­le con­duct? Po­or Bert­rand had be­en so dist­res­sed. I had felt I had to com­fort him as best I co­uld. It se­emed to me that the Ba­ron was chan­ging the co­ur­se of my li­fe even if un­wit­tingly, me­rely by be­ing the­re a ma­lig­nant pre­sen­ce.
I was fond of Bert­rand. Of co­ur­se I was. I li­ked what I knew of him, but how well did I know him?
I wis­hed I had not be­en so im­pul­si­ve. I was of co­ur­se ple­ased that our re­la­ti­ons­hip had not en­ded, but was I rus­hing ahe­ad too fast.
I wis­hed I co­uld stop thin­king abo­ut the Ba­ron. It se­emed so stran­ge that a man who had do­ne so much for me co­uld ha­ve be­ha­ved as he had to­wards Bert­rand.
It was for­tu­na­te that I was le­aving the cast­le. When I had dri­ven the Ba­ron from my mind I wo­uld be­gin to see that li­fe was of­fe­ring me a won­der­ful fu­tu­re.
I must ta­ke it with both hands and be gra­te­ful for it.
The Stre­ets of Pa­ris tA­XA"^" I lo­ved Pa­ris from the mo­ment I en­te­red the city, and I pro­mi­sed myself that I wo­uld see as much of it as I pos­sibly co­uld du­ring my stay the­re.
First we saw my fat­her off at the Ga­re du Nord and then Bert­rand, who had ac­com­pa­ni­ed us on the tra­in to Pa­ris, sa­id he wo­uld ta­ke me to the ho­use in the Rue du Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int-Ho­no­re which was the Pa­ris ho­me of the Prin­ces­se de Cres­pigny and whe­re I was to pa­int the mi­ni­atu­re.
I was re­ce­ived by a dig­ni­fi­ed man­ser­vant who beg­ged me to co­me in, so I sa­id go­odb­ye to Bert­rand, who pro­mi­sed to see me wit­hin a few days, whi­le the man­ser­vant sum­mo­ned a ma­id and told her to ta­ke me to the ro­om which had be­en pre­pa­red for me.
It was a mag­ni­fi­cent ho­use, and I was imp­res­sed by the won­der­ful sta­ir­ca­se which wo­und up­wards from the re­cep­ti­on area. It was in­de­ed a small pa­la­ce and from the mo­ment I en­te­red it I was struck by the rat­her sub­du­ed but what, in my opi­ni­on, se­emed the fa­ult­less tas­te of the de­cor. The­re was a gre­at de­al of whi­te- the fa­in­test to­uch of red and a cer­ta­in amo­unt of gold. It ga­ve an imp­res­si­on of unobt­ru­si­ve rich­ness.
We went qu­ite a long way up and I had an op­por­tu­nity of exa­mi­ning the int­ri­ca­te iron­work of the sta­ir­ca­se.
"Madame la Prin­ces­se will see you to­mor­row," I was told.
"We ha­ve inst­ruc­ti­ons to ma­ke you com­for­tab­le and supply what you ne­ed.
Madame la Go­uver­nan­te will see you la­ter. She tho­ught you wo­uld wish to set­tle in af­ter the jo­ur­ney."
R
It was as well that I had imp­ro­ved my French la­tely for she spo­ke in an ac­cent of the so­uth which was not easy to fol­low.
We ca­me to a lan­ding and a do­or was ope­ned. I was in a rat­her lar­ge, ple­asant ro­om. The do­ub­le bed had whi­te lacy cur­ta­ins abo­ut it held back by gold-co­lo­ured bands. The ori­en­tal car­pets we­re sub­du­ed in co­lo­ur pinks, blu­es and pas­tel sha­des; the­re we­re se­ve­ral pi­eces of fur­ni­tu­re in the Lo­u­is Qu­ator­ze or Qu­in­ze pe­ri­od highly po­lis­hed and ext­re­mely ele­gant.
The ma­id as­ked if I wo­uld li­ke hot wa­ter with which to wash and I sa­id gra­te­ful­ly that I wo­uld Whi­le I was wa­iting I went ro­und the ro­om exa­mi­ning its con­tents. How dif­fe­rent from the cast­le at Cen­te­vil­le!
I won­de­red if this ele­gant ho­use ref­lec­ted the per­so­na­lity of the Prin­ces­se as the cast­le cer­ta­inly did that of its ow­ner. Even at this mo­ment my tho­ughts went back to him. What im­pu­den­ce to at­tempt to pass off his dis­car­ded mist­ress to Bert­rand. I was glad Bert­rand had sto­od up to him so fi­er­cely. It had just ta­ken that to turn me im­pul­si­vely to­wards him.
When he be­ca­me so angry he se­emed to be­co­me a man I co­uld ad­mi­re strong, de­ter­mi­ned. Pre­vi­o­usly per­haps I had won­de­red whet­her he we­re not too much in awe of the Ba­ron, which had in­di­ca­ted to me a cer­ta­in we­ak­ness and ma­de me won­der whet­her the pro­tec­ti­ve kind of lo­ve he ins­pi­red in me was the right sort one sho­uld ha­ve for a hus­band.
It was too bad to let that odi­o­us Ba­ron int­ru­de in­to this char­ming ho­use. But of co­ur­se he must int­ru­de. He was the re­ason I was he­re.
It was go­od of him to ha­ve ack­now­led­ged the qu­ality of my work. No, I tho­ught fi­er­cely, it was not. It was just pla­in ho­nesty. The big­gest ro­gue on earth co­uld be ho­nest abo­ut art and dis­pen­se with the ri­di­cu­lo­us pre­j­udi­ces which pre­va­iled aga­inst wo­men.
I won­de­red if the mi­ni­atu­re of the Prin­ces­se wo­uld ex­ci­te me as much as pa­in­ting the Ba­ron had do­ne. It was hardly li­kely. The­re wo­uld not be the sa­me int­ri­gue and sub­ter­fu­ge, which alt­ho­ugh it had be­en frigh­te­ning at ti­mes had in fact be­en very sti­mu­la­ting.
I was­hed and chan­ged in­to a black skirt and whi­te blo­use and un­pac­ked the rest of my things whi­le I awa­ited the ar­ri­val of Ma­da­me la Go­uver­nan­te.
She ca­me at length- a mid­dle-aged wo­man we­aring a black dress, very simply but ele­gantly cut. At her thro­at was a small di­amond bro­och, her only jewel­lery.
"Welcome," she sa­id.
"I trust you had a go­od jo­ur­ney. The Ba­ron sent word that you wo­uld be ar­ri­ving to­day but was un­su­re of the ti­me."
"It was go­od of him," I sa­id.
"We saw my fat­her off and ca­me stra­ight he­re. My fat­her is re­tur­ning to Eng­land."
"I am glad you spe­ak French. Lan­gu­age can pro­vi­de such dif­fi­cul­ti­es.
If the­re is anyt­hing you lack, you must ring. " She in­di­ca­ted the whi­te ro­pe han­ging ne­ar the bed.
"I tho­ught you wo­uld li­ke yo­ur din­ner sent up this eve­ning. You must be we­ary af­ter yo­ur jo­ur­ney. That will be in an ho­ur's ti­me."
"That will be splen­did," I told her.
"The Prin­ces­se ... eris she eager to be pa­in­ted?"
She smi­led.
"The Prin­ces­se has be­en pa­in­ted many ti­mes. She thinks lit­tle of it.
You might find her an im­pa­ti­ent sit­ter and I wo­uld ad­vi­se you not to ke­ep her too long at a ti­me."
"Thank you. I gat­her she is very yo­ung."
"She is se­ven­te­en ye­ars old."
"She sho­uld ma­ke a go­od su­bj­ect."
"I am su­re. Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son, you will see to that. Ma­da­me la Com­tes­se tells me that the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le has highly pra­ised yo­ur ta­lents."
"It is kind of him."
"He wo­uld not do so un­less he me­ant it, Ma­de­mo­isel­le." She was smi­ling at me.
"I sup­po­se you are ac­cus­to­med to go­ing in­to pe­op­le's ho­uses."
"Well, I ha­ve just co­me from the Cha­te­au de Cen­te­vil­le, whe­re I ha­ve be­en for ne­arly three we­eks."

D.

L.

- D "This is a chan­ge from the cha­te­au, is it not? Tho­se old cast­les are so dra­ughty. But per­haps you do not mind."
"This se­ems very com­for­tab­le cer­ta­inly."
"Madame la Com­tes­se li­kes her com­forts."
"Forgive me, but I am una­wa­re of the ho­use­hold ar­ran­ge­ments. Who is Ma­da­me la Com­tes­se?"
"She is a dis­tant con­nec­ti­on of the Prin­ces­se and is her gu­ar­di­an, as it we­re. The Com­tes­se is la­unc­hing the Prin­ces­se in­to so­ci­ety and ma­king the ar­ran­ge­ments for her mar­ri­age. The Prin­ces­se is an orp­han.
Her fa­mily suf­fe­red gre­atly in the past tro­ub­les. "
"And you are her go­ver­ness?"
"Oh no, Ma­de­mo­isel­le. I am the go­uve­man­te, which me­ans the fem­me de char­ge... of the ho­use­hold, you see."
"Oh, I un­ders­tand. In Eng­lish we sho­uld say ho­use­ke­eper."
She re­pe­ated the word slowly, smi­ling as she did so.
"Now I know," I sa­id.
"It is go­od of you to ta­ke such ca­re for my com­fort."
"I shall ha­ve fo­od sent up to you ... for to­night. Then we shall see.
No do­ubt the Com­tes­se will say how things are to be do­ne. You can see the Prin­ces­se in the mor­ning. I will ha­ve pe­tit de­j­e­uner bro­ught to you with hot wa­ter at eight o'clock. Wo­uld that be con­ve­ni­ent? "
I sa­id it wo­uld be very con­ve­ni­ent and she went out, le­aving me alo­ne.
A fe­eling of in­ten­se lo­ne­li­ness swept over me. I mis­sed my fat­her. I won­de­red whe­re he was now. Pos­sibly pre­pa­ring to cross the sea. I won­de­red whe­re Bert­rand was. On the way ho­me, pro­bably, to tell his fa­mily that he was plan­ning to marry me and that he had had a qu­ar­rel with the all- po­wer­ful Ba­ron whom he had vo­wed ne­ver to see aga­in.
How dif­fe­rent this was from ar­ri­ving at the cast­le. I tri­ed to re­cap­tu­re the fe­eling of ex­ci­te­ment and ap­pre­hen­si­on, that de­ter­mi­na­ti­on to suc­ce­ed in the most dif­fi­cult pro­j­ect I had ever un­der­ta­ken, and then the ming­led fe­elings of ex­hi­la­ra­ti­on and re­vul­si­on which had re­sul­ted in at­temp­ting to know the fa­ce of that wic­ked man who was ca­pab­le of such out­ra­ge­o­us con­duct.
But what a su­bj­ect he had be­en! I was be­gin­ning to think that in pa­in­ting him I had ac­hi­eved my mas­ter­pi­ece. He had aro­used such strong fe­elings; he had had such an in­te­res­ting fa­ce. When sho­uld I ever find such a comp­li­ca­ted per­son wic­ked, ruth­less . in fact one only had to think of the worst qu­ali­ti­es in hu­man na­tu­re and they se­emed to apply to him. And yet he lo­ved be­a­uti­ful things and he had ma­de an ho­nest as­ses­sment of my work, and be­ca­use he fo­und it go­od he had de­fi­ed the con­ven­ti­onal be­li­ef of his sex that wo­men sho­uld play an in­fe­ri­or ro­le be­ca­use it was all they we­re ca­pab­le of. He had had the co­ura­ge to stand up and say what he me­ant. Co­ura­ge! It was no co­ura­ge. He ne­eded no co­ura­ge to do and say wha­te­ver he ple­ased. He was all-po­wer­ful in his lit­tle world. He ma­de the ru­les.
Ah, I tho­ught, but the­re are ti­mes, Ba­ron, when you find pe­op­le who are not re­ady to obey you. De­ar Bert­rand! He was a fi­ne yo­ung man, not to be dic­ta­ted to by the worldly cyni­cal Ba­ron. I la­ug­hed alo­ud and sa­id:
"Now, Ba­ron, you will ha­ve to find anot­her hus­band for the mist­ress you no lon­ger want."
Stop thin­king of him, I com­man­ded myself. This is a new as­sign­ment.
You will ne­ver see the Ba­ron aga­in. Why let him int­ru­de in­to this ele­gant at­mosp­he­re whe­re everyt­hing is go­ing to be so dif­fe­rent from what it was in the Nor­man cast­le?
I had co­me he­re in a bla­ze of glory ack­now­led­ged as a pa­in­ter of me­rit.
I was go­ing to pa­int a se­ven­te­en-ye­ar-old girl in­no­cent, un­mar­ked by li­fe. A lo­vely su­bj­ect for a port­ra­it which did not de­mand too de­ep an as­ses­sment of cha­rac­ter. The skin wo­uld be smo­oth and un­mar­ked by ti­me; no sec­rets in the eyes; no li­nes on the brow. A pretty pic­tu­re

LOVER

that was what I was go­ing to do now. An in­no­cent vir­gin, I tho­ught, who was go­ing to be han­ded over for that mons­ter le­gal­ly to def­lo­wer.
Poor child. I was sorry for her.
Then I sa­id alo­ud: "Stop thin­king of the Ba­ron. You ha­ve do­ne yo­ur work for him su­perbly and he has re­war­ded you ade­qu­ately. Be su­itably gra­te­ful and for­get him."
My tray was bro­ught in. It con­ta­ined cold chic­ken with a lit­tle sa­lad co­ve­red in an un­fa­mi­li­ar dres­sing, but very ple­asant. The­re was a fru­it tart and a ca­ra­fe of whi­te wi­ne. It was all very pa­la­tab­le.
In due co­ur­se a ma­id ap­pe­ared to ta­ke away the tray and I tho­ught I might as well re­ti­re for the night. It had not be­en exactly an exu­be­rant wel­co­me, but I must re­mem­ber that I was re­al­ly emp­lo­yed he­re.
This was the re­al French aris­toc­racy who, I un­ders­to­od, we­re mo­re for­mal than any in the world. I sho­uld see mo­re to­mor­row, and in any ca­se, wit­hin a short ti­me I sho­uld be on my way ho­me. I had de­ci­ded that I wo­uld go back be­fo­re co­ming out aga­in for the two de­fi­ni­te com­mis­si­ons I had- one with Ma­da­me Du­pont and the ot­her with Mon­si­e­ur Vil­lef­ranc­he -accep­ted on that night when the Ba­ron had shown my mi­ni­atu­re of him­self.
My fat­her had be­en all in fa­vo­ur of this ar­ran­ge­ment. He had sa­id I must de­fi­ni­tely ac­cept the­se com­mis­si­ons for they wo­uld help to es­tab­lish me in Fran­ce whe­re, with the bac­king of so­me­one as inf­lu­en­ti­al as the Ba­ron, I was li­kely to get mo­re stan­ding than I sho­uld in Vic­to­ri­an Eng­land.
"Once you ha­ve a na­me," he sa­id, 'you can dic­ta­te what you will do.
But get the na­me first. The na­me is everyt­hing. "
If I mar­ri­ed Bert­rand . when I mar­ri­ed Bert­rand . I sho­uld in­sist that I car­ri­ed on with my pa­in­ting. He wo­uld re­adily un­ders­tand. He had ma­de that cle­ar al­re­ady. Bert­rand wo­uld be a very un­ders­tan­ding man.
I was very for­tu­na­te to be lo­ved by him. How dif­fe­rent I was from the girl who had co­me out to Fran­ce such a short whi­le ago!
I to­ok off my dress and put on a dres­sing-gown. Then I let down my ha­ir and sat at the mir­ror on the dres­sing-tab­le, brus­hing it. My tho­ughts went back to the night when Ni­co­le had sent her ma­id to dress my ha­ir. Po­or Ni­co­le! To be ban­di­ed abo­ut. I sup­po­se pe­op­le wo­uld say she sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve be­co­me his mist­ress in the first pla­ce. Her fa­te now was the wa­ges of sin.
There was a gent­le tap on my do­or.
"Come in," I sa­id.
A yo­ung girl en­te­red. She wo­re a black dress with a whi­te ap­ron over it.
"I ha­ve co­me to see if you ha­ve everyt­hing you want."
"Yes, thank you. Did Ma­da­me la Go­uver­nan­te send you?"
"No ... I ca­me be­ca­use I wan­ted to."
She had a small fa­ce with a po­in­ted chin, a rat­her long no­se and dar­ting misc­hi­evo­us eyes.
She shut the do­or.
"Are you set­tling in?"
"I ha­ve only just ar­ri­ved."
"You're go­ing to pa­int a pic­tu­re of the Prin­ces­se, aren't you?"
"That's what I'm he­re for."
"You've got to do so­met­hing very ni­ce."
"I ho­pe to."
"You'll ha­ve to. She's not very pretty."
"Beauty is of­ten a mat­ter of opi­ni­on. Are you a ho­use­ma­id?"
She sat on my bed. I tho­ught she was rat­her im­per­ti­nent and was on the po­int of tel­ling her to le­ave me. On the ot­her hand I did not want to turn away any pos­si­bi­lity of le­ar­ning so­met­hing abo­ut the Prin­ces­se who was to be my su­bj­ect.
"What do you me­an, a mat­ter of opi­ni­on?" she as­ked.
"Exactly what I say."
"You me­an that she co­uld lo­ok pretty to you tho­ugh no one el­se tho­ught so. So you're go­ing to pa­int her pretty."
"I shall pa­int what I see."
"You ha­ve just pa­in­ted the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le. How did you pa­int him?"
"The Prin­ces­se has the mi­ni­atu­re now. Per­haps she will show it to you.
Do you work ne­ar her? "
She nod­ded.
"Then per­haps you'll see it."
"I ha­ve."
"Then you know."
"I think he lo­oks rat­her ... frigh­te­ning."
"Really. Now ... I was just go­ing to bed."
"But I'd li­ke to talk."
"But I as I sa­id am abo­ut to go to bed."
"Don't you want to know abo­ut the pe­op­le he­re?"
"I shall find out in due co­ur­se."
"Do you ha­ve to know a lot abo­ut the pe­op­le you pa­int?"
"It helps."
"You're a sort of sor­ce­ress."
"I hadn't tho­ught of myself as that."
"I don't think the Prin­ces­se will li­ke it if you pry."
"Really, I must ask you to le­ave now."
She sat up.
"Tell me abo­ut the Ba­ron," she sa­id.
"He has twenty mist­res­ses, they say ... li­ke So­lo­mon or so­met­hing li­ke that."
"I be­li­eve So­lo­mon had mo­re than twenty."
"You don't tell anyt­hing, do you? That's be­ca­use I'm just a ho­use­ma­id of no im­por­tan­ce."
"You go off to bed," I sa­id.
"Are you go­ing to ring and ha­ve me re­mo­ved?"
"Not if you go qu­i­etly."
"All right," she sa­id.
"I co­uld ha­ve told you a lot," she ad­ded omi­no­usly . 'a lot you ought to know. "
"I am su­re you co­uld. But anot­her ti­me, eh?"
I pus­hed her out and shut the do­or.
What an ext­ra­or­di­nary ma­id! I won­de­red what she co­uld ha­ve told me abo­ut the Prin­ces­se.
I loc­ked the do­or and got in­to bed, but it was a long ti­me be­fo­re I slept.
My tray ca­me promptly in the mor­ning and by ni­ne o'clock I was re­ady.
I did not ha­ve to wa­it long be­fo­re Ma­da­me la Go­uver­nan­te was knoc­king at my do­or. She sa­id "Go­od mor­ning' very ci­vil­ly and exp­res­sed the wish that I had pas­sed a go­od night.
Madame la Com­tes­se was re­ady to re­ce­ive me and if I wo­uld fol­low her she wo­uld ta­ke me to her . We des­cen­ded the be­a­uti­ful sta­ir­ca­se to a lo­wer flo­or and I was con­duc­ted to a sa­lon fur­nis­hed in whi­te and gold with tho­se ra­re to­uc­hes of red. The fur­ni­tu­re was ex­qu­isi­te and of the six­te­enth and se­ven­te­enth cen­tury I gu­es­sed. But my at­ten­ti­on was im­me­di­ately fo­cu­sed on the Com­tes­se.
She was rat­her short and a lit­tle plump but ca­re­ful­ly dres­sed to mi­ni­mi­ze this. Her ha­ir was worn pi­led high to gi­ve her he­ight; she was so­ig­nee and fit­ted the sur­ro­un­dings per­fectly.
I must ad­mit to fe­eling a lit­tle ga­uc­he, for cle­arly I did not pay the sa­me at­ten­ti­on to my ap­pe­aran­ce as she did to hers.
"Mademoiselle Col­li­son!" she cri­ed, ad­van­cing and hol­ding out her hand.
She to­ok mi­ne in a limp hands­ha­ke.
"I am ple­ased to wel­co­me you he­re. Mon­si­e­ur Ie Ba­ron is so eager for you to do this mi­ni­atu­re of the Prin­ces­se de Cres­pigny. He has such a high opi­ni­on of yo­ur work. I know the na­me, of co­ur­se. It is well known he­re... but he says you are the first lady in that gre­at li­ne of pa­in­ters."
"I am eager to me­et the Prin­ces­se and to start the work," I sa­id.

"I

was won­de­ring if the­re is a ro­om whe­re we can get the ma­xi­mum light.
"
"Yes, yes. All that has be­en con­si­de­red. The Ba­ron has told us what will be ne­eded. But the Prin­ces­se has ma­de it cle­ar that she will not want to sit too long at a ti­me."
"Sittings are ne­ces­sary," I sa­id.
"I think I must be al­lo­wed to de­ci­de the length of them. A pa­in­ter may ha­ve dis­co­ve­red so­met­hing ex­ci­ting. and then if the sit­ter go­es away be­fo­re the dis­co­very can be ma­de use of... You un­ders­tand?"
"Oh, you will ha­ve to work that out with the Prin­ces­se. She is very yo­ung."
"Seventeen, I be­li­eve."
The Com­tes­se nod­ded.
"She has be­en bro­ught up qu­i­etly un­til a few months ago when I to­ok her in­to my ca­re and bro­ught her to Co­urt. It is ne­ces­sary for me to ke­ep"
She pa­used and I sa­id: "A firm hand?"
"Exactly. It is so­met­hing of a res­pon­si­bi­lity. Ho­we­ver, I ha­ve sent so­me­one to tell her we are wa­iting for her. She sho­uld be along at any mo­ment."
"Thank you."
"Pray be se­ated, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son."
I sat, lo­oking une­asily at the do­or.
"You ha­ve co­me stra­ight from the Cha­te­au de Cen­te­vil­le?"
She was ma­king con­ver­sa­ti­on for she knew that I had.
"Yes, Ma­da­me."
"You must ha­ve... er... spent a long ti­me with the Ba­ron ... at yo­ur sit­tings, I me­an."
"Yes. He was a go­od sit­ter. He is a man who is gre­atly in­te­res­ted in art."
"Let us ho­pe that the Prin­ces­se will be equ­al­ly go­od."
She went to the bell ro­pe and pul­led it. The­re was si­len­ce un­til a ma­id ap­pe­ared. She wo­re a black dress and whi­te ap­ron si­mi­lar to that of last night's vi­si­tor, but it was not the sa­me girl.
"Will you ple­ase go at on­ce to the Prin­ces­se and tell her that Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son and I are wa­iting for her in the sa­lon."
"Yes, Ma­da­me." The girl bob­bed a curt­sey and was off.
The Com­tes­se sat down and ma­de une­asy de­sul­tory and rat­her di­sj­o­in­ted con­ver­sa­ti­on.
"She knew that you had ar­ri­ved last night," she sa­id.
"I can­not ima­gi­ne ..." She bit her lip as tho­ugh trying to curb her an­no­yan­ce.
"I sup­po­se she wants this mi­ni­atu­re do­ne?" I as­ked.
"The Ba­ron wants it. Oh I ha­ve gre­at res­pon­si­bi­li­ti­es, Ma­de­mo­isel­le, gre­at dif­fi­cul­ti­es."
At that mo­ment we he­ard the so­und of hor­ses' ho­ofs and the Com­tes­se went qu­ickly to the win­dow.
She tur­ned back to me.
"It's the Prin­ces­se," she sa­id.
"She is go­ing ri­ding."
I went to the win­dow. I saw the back of a trim, slight fi­gu­re sur­ro­un­ded by a party of hor­se­men and wo­men.
The Com­tes­se lo­oked at me help­les­sly.
I lil­ted my sho­ul­ders.
"It's a pity. I wan­ted to get a start. If you will show me the ro­om whe­re I am to do the port­ra­it I will pre­pa­re my ma­te­ri­als, and then I tho­ught I might ta­ke a walk."
"Do you know Pa­ris?"
"This is my first vi­sit."
"I sho­uld per­haps get so­me­one to ac­com­pany you."
"I pre­fer to be on my own."
She he­si­ta­ted.
"You wish to exp­lo­re, I see. Do you find yo­ur way abo­ut well?"
"I think so."
"Don't stray too far from this area. You co­uld wan­der down the Champs-Elysee to the Tu­ile­ri­es. That sho­uld be very ple­asant. I wo­uld not cross the ri­ver if I we­re you. The­re are many brid­ges ac­ross the Se­ine. Stay on this si­de and if you get lost then ... ta­ke a fi­ac­re a cab ... and you will be bro­ught back to the Rue du Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int-Ho­no­re."
"Thank you so much. I shall do that."
"I apo­lo­gi­ze for the Prin­ces­se's be­ha­vi­o­ur." She shrug­ged her sho­ul­ders.
"She has be­en used to ha­ving her own way. You know how it can be."
"I un­ders­tand," I sa­id, 'and I shall lo­ok for­ward to me­eting her la­ter.
"
I went to my ro­om and col­lec­ted what I sho­uld ne­ed. Then I was shown the ro­om whe­re I sho­uld work. It was a kind of at­tic. Ide­al, I tho­ught, for the­re was plenty of light. I set out my pa­ints, brus­hes and lit­tle pa­let­te. I pre­pa­red my sup­ports and went back to my ro­om.
I tho­ught: Our lit­tle Prin­ces­se has high spi­rits and bad man­ners -but per­haps she thinks such be­ha­vi­o­ur is ac­cep­tab­le from a Prin­ces­se.
I am al­re­ady le­ar­ning so­met­hing abo­ut her wit­ho­ut se­e­ing her.
Now the­re was the ex­ci­te­ment of Pa­ris- and how that enc­han­ted me! I lo­ved the wi­de bo­ule­vards, the be­a­uti­ful brid­ges and the old Pa­la­ce of the Lo­uv­re. Best of all I lo­ved the no­ise of the stre­ets, the in­ces­sant chat­ter, the ca­fes out­si­de which tab­les we­re set up un­der co­lo­ured suns­ha­des, and gay mu­sic flo­ated out. I did not ne­ed that ve­hic­le to ta­ke me back. I fo­und my own way. I was rat­her go­od at it.
I had enj­oyed my mor­ning and was gra­te­ful to my ill- man­ne­red lit­tle Prin­ces­se who had ma­de it pos­sib­le.
Dejeuner was ser­ved in my ro­om, aga­in on a tray, and I won­de­red whet­her this was how I sho­uld ta­ke all my me­als. It was cle­ar that the­se pe­op­le did not know how they sho­uld tre­at me. I ex­pect they must ha­ve re­gar­ded me as a kind of ser­vant. How dif­fe­rent it had be­en at the cha­te­au, whe­re ar­tists we­re con­si­de­red to be of so­me ac­co­unt.
It was not im­por­tant. I sho­uld comp­le­te my port­ra­it and then go ho­me be­fo­re re­tur­ning to Fran­ce to carry out the ot­her com­mis­si­ons.
Madame la Go­uver­nan­te ca­me to my ro­om af­ter I had fi­nis­hed my fo­od and told me that the Prin­ces­se and her party had not yet re­tur­ned. She had le­ar­ned that they we­re vi­si­ting a ho­use on the way to St. Clo­ud. They wo­uld pro­bably be back so­on and I sho­uld re­ma­in in so that I sho­uld be ava­ilab­le if the Prin­ces­se ne­eded me.
I ac­cep­ted this, but it was not un­til past fo­ur o'clock when a sum­mons ca­me to me to tell me that the Prin­ces­se was in the at­tic wa­iting to re­ce­ive me.
I went stra­ight up. She was stan­ding by the win­dow lo­oking out and did not turn as I en­te­red. She was dres­sed in a very bright red ball gown; her sho­ul­ders we­re ba­re and her long dark ha­ir lo­ose. From the back she lo­oked li­ke a child.
I sa­id: "Prin­ces­se ..."
"Come in, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son," she sa­id.
"You may start now."
"That is qu­ite im­pos­sib­le," I rep­li­ed.
"The light is not go­od eno­ugh."
"What do you me­an?" She swung ro­und. Her fa­ce was va­gu­ely fa­mi­li­ar.
Then it dow­ned on me. I sho­uld ha­ve re­cog­ni­zed her at on­ce but for the red ball dress and lo­ose ha­ir which ma­de her lo­ok rat­her dif­fe­rent from the girl who had worn the black dress and ap­ron on the pre­vi­o­us night.
So, I tho­ught, she plays tricks. And I knew then that she was go­ing to ma­ke my stay dif­fi­cult.
I went to­wards her and inc­li­ned my he­ad. I was not go­ing to curt­sey to such a child; af­ter all, ro­yalty did not me­an the sa­me in Fran­ce as it had be­fo­re the Re­vo­lu­ti­on.
"You see, Prin­ces­se," I exp­la­ined, "I ne­ed the best pos­sib­le light for such fi­ne work. The mor­ning is the only ti­me I ca­re to work ... un­less it is a very bright af­ter­no­on ... cer­ta­inly not on an over­cast one li­ke this."
"Perhaps we sho­uld get an ar­tist who can work at any ti­me," she sa­id ha­ugh­tily.
"That is for you to de­ci­de. I will me­rely say this: The­re will be no sit­ting this af­ter­no­on. If you are not ri­ding to­mor­row mor­ning, I sho­uld li­ke to start then ... at, say, ten o'clock."
"I am not su­re," she rep­li­ed.
"I can­not stay he­re in­de­fi­ni­tely," I told her.
"Well per­haps .." she sa­id grud­gingly.
"Perhaps you wo­uld al­low me to stay now and chat for a whi­le. I must know so­met­hing of my su­bj­ects be­fo­re I at­tempt to pa­int them. May I sit down?"
She nod­ded.
I re­gar­ded her ste­adily. She had the thick Va­lo­is no­se which, whi­le it might proc­la­im her an­cestry, did not fit in with mo­dem no­ti­ons of be­a­uty. Her eyes we­re small but they we­re bright; her mo­uth was rat­her pe­tu­lant but per­haps that chan­ged with her mo­ods. It sho­uld not be im­pos­sib­le to ma­ke a char­ming pic­tu­re. She had the glow of yo­uth; her skin was go­od, so we­re her te­eth. if she co­uld be pre­va­iled upon to smi­le. The co­lo­ur of the dress was qu­ite wrong for her.
She sa­id: "You will ha­ve to gi­ve me a bet­ter no­se."
I la­ug­hed.
"I want to pa­int^oa," I sa­id.
"That me­ans you're go­ing to ma­ke me ugly " In­de­ed it do­es not. I see pos­si­bi­li­ti­es. "
"What do you me­an ... pos­si­bi­li­ti­es?"
"Do you ever smi­le?"
"Certainly I do ... when I'm ple­ased."
"Well, we'll ha­ve you ple­ased. You ha­ve very be­a­uti­ful te­eth. What is the po­int of hi­ding them? A lo­vely smi­le wo­uld ta­ke off the length of the no­se; and if you ope­ned yo­ur eyes wi­de and lo­oked in­te­res­ted they wo­uld brigh­ten and lo­ok big­ger. Al­so the dress is wrong."
"I li­ke the dress."
"Well, that is go­od eno­ugh. We must pa­int the red dress be­ca­use jyou li­ke it."
"But you say you don't."
"No. Red is not yo­ur co­lo­ur ... nor is the black you wo­re last night."
She flus­hed pink and star­ted to la­ugh. She lo­oked al­most pretty.
"That's bet­ter," I sa­id.
"If I co­uld catch that..."
"You pre­ten­ded you didn't re­cog­ni­ze me."
"I re­cog­ni­zed you im­me­di­ately."
"Not last night."
"How co­uld I? I had ne­ver met the Prin­ces­se ..."
"And when you saw me he­re ..."
"I knew at on­ce."
"And what did you think last night? Was I a go­od ma­id?"
"No. An im­per­ti­nent one."
She la­ug­hed aga­in and I la­ug­hed too.
"I don't want this pic­tu­re do­ne, you know," she sa­id.
"I do re­ali­ze that."
"I ha­te ha­ving it do­ne." Her fa­ce crump­led sud­denly and she lo­oked li­ke a frigh­te­ned child.
"I ha­te it all ..."
I un­ders­to­od. Mo­re­over my at­ti­tu­de to­wards her had chan­ged comp­le­tely.
I was sorry for her. Po­or in­no­cent child to go to that man!
"Was that why you we­re so ill-man­ne­red this mor­ning?"
"Ill-mannered?"
"In go­ing ri­ding when it was ar­ran­ged that the­re was to be a sit­ting."
"I don't think of it as be­ing ill-man­ne­red. We don't ha­ve to worry abo­ut..."
"Servants?" I sa­id.
"Or ar­tists ... but per­haps ar­tists are ser­vants."
"They co­me he­re to work for us ... and are pa­id for it."
"Do you know what one of yo­ur gre­atest kings on­ce sa­id?"
"Oh ... his­tory!"
"It is per­ti­nent to the oc­ca­si­on.
"Men ma­ke kings but only God can ma­ke an ar­tist."
"What do­es that me­an? I tho­ught God was sup­po­sed to ha­ve ma­de us all."
"It me­ans that God gi­ves the art of cre­ati­on to a few cho­sen pe­op­le and gre­at ones are mo­re im­por­tant than kings."
"That's the sort of thing they sa­id du­ring the re­vo­lu­ti­on."
"On the cont­rary, it was sa­id by one of yo­ur most autoc­ra­tic kings -Fran­co­is Pre­mi­er."
"I sup­po­se you are very cle­ver."
"I'm go­od at my job."
"The Ba­ron sa­id you we­re go­od, didn't he?"
"He ap­pre­ci­ated my work."
"You did a pic­tu­re of him. He sat for you."
"He did and I am glad to say that he was a very go­od sit­ter."
"I sup­po­se I shall ha­ve to sit for you."
"It is the re­ason why I'm he­re. I sho­uld li­ke to see you in blue. I think that wo­uld su­it you. It wo­uld bring out the glow of yo­ur skin."
She to­uc­hed her fa­ce. I tho­ught how yo­ung she was and I for­ga­ve her everyt­hing- her silly lit­tle mas­qu­era­de of the night be­fo­re and her ru­de­ness in bre­aking her ap­po­int­ment. I saw her as a frigh­te­ned child.
"Would you li­ke me to see what you ha­ve to we­ar?" I as­ked.
"We co­uld per­haps find a fa­vo­uri­te dress of yo­urs. I myself pre­fer blue, but it may be that you ha­ve so­met­hing el­se which wo­uld be equ­al­ly go­od."
"I ha­ve a gre­at many dres­ses," she sa­id.
"I ha­ve be­en pre­sen­ted to the Emp­ress. I tho­ught I sho­uld ha­ve so­me fun per­haps, but when the Ba­ron de­ci­ded to marry me that put an end to that."
"When are you to marry?"
"Very so­on. Next month ... on my eigh­te­enth birth;; day. " :
She lo­oked at me sud­denly and stop­ped and it oc­cur­red to J me that she wo­uld very easily sha­re con­fi­den­ces. Po­or child! I had dis­co­ve­red a go­od de­al abo­ut her in a short ti­me and I knew that she was lo­nely and frigh­te­ned.
"How wo­uld it be if we de­ci­ded on the dress now," I sa­id,| 'and we co­uld start the mi­ni­atu­re to­mor­row mor­ning. I| sho­uld li­ke to be early so­on af­ter ni­ne o'clock. The light! sho­uld be go­od then. The mi­ni­atu­re, I un­ders­tand, is to b^| mo­un­ted in the sa­me way as the one I did of the Ba­ron. It isin| gold with di­amonds and sap­phi­res. It is ab­so­lu­tely mag­ni­fi^

I

cent, as you know. That is one of the re­asons why I tho­ught blue for the dress. "
"All right. Co­me on ... now."
She led the way down from the at­tic. Her bed­ro­om was very grand -whi­te and gold with rich car­pets and be­a­uti­ful ta­pest­ri­es on the walls.
"This ho­use was da­ma­ged du­ring the Re­vo­lu­ti­on," she told me, 'but the Em­pe­ror was very in­sis­tent that Pa­ris sho­uld be be­a­uti­ful aga­in. They say Pa­ris was li­ke a pho­enix ri­sing out of the ru­ins. "
"It is very be­a­uti­ful," I rep­li­ed.
"How for­tu­na­te you are to li­ve in such a pla­ce."
"Some pe­op­le are happy wit­ho­ut be­a­uti­ful ho­uses. I saw a girl in a mo­dis­te's shop when I was ri­ding past the ot­her day. A yo­ung man was with her and she was trying on a hat. He lo­oked at her and kis­sed her.
She lo­oked so happy and I tho­ught: She's hap­pi­er than I am. And I won­de­red if she was go­ing to marry the yo­ung man who kis­sed her. He wo­uld be so­me­one she had cho­sen for her­self. "
I sa­id: "You ne­ver know what is go­ing on in ot­her pe­op­le's li­ves. I was on­ce en­vi­o­us of a girl in a pastry co­ok shop. She was ser­ving the ca­kes and she lo­oked so be­a­uti­ful among all the lo­aves of freshly ba­ked bre­ad and fancy ca­kes. I had a go­ver­ness then and I co­uld not get my sums right. I ha­ted arith­me­tic and when I saw that girl ser­ving the ca­kes I sa­id to myself: She ne­ver has to do hor­rid sums. How I wish I co­uld chan­ge pla­ces with her. A few we­eks la­ter that shop was bur­ned down and I he­ard that the be­a­uti­ful girl had be­en bur­ned to de­ath."
The Prin­ces­se was sta­ring at me inc­re­du­lo­usly.
"So," I went on, 'you sho­uld ne­ver envy an­yo­ne. You sho­uld ne­ver re­al­ly want to chan­ge pla­ces for so­met­hing you re­al­ly don't know very much abo­ut. If you don't li­ke what's hap­pe­ning to you, find a way out of it or ac­cept it . whic­he­ver you think best. "
"I sup­po­se you are very cle­ver."
"I'm go­od at my job."
"The Ba­ron sa­id you we­re go­od, didn't he?"
"He ap­pre­ci­ated my work."
"You did a pic­tu­re of him. He sat for you."
"He did and I am glad to say that he was a very go­od sit­ter."
"I sup­po­se I shall ha­ve to sit for you."
"It is the re­ason why I'm he­re. I sho­uld li­ke to see you in blue. I think that wo­uld su­it you. It wo­uld bring out the glow of yo­ur skin."
She to­uc­hed her fa­ce. I tho­ught how yo­ung she was and I for­ga­ve her everyt­hing- her silly lit­tle mas­qu­era­de of the night be­fo­re and her ru­de­ness in bre­aking her ap­po­int­ment. I saw her as a frigh­te­ned child.
"Would you li­ke me to see what you ha­ve to we­ar?" I as­ked.
"We co­uld per­haps find a fa­vo­uri­te dress of yo­urs. I myself pre­fer blue, but it may be that you ha­ve so­met­hing el­se which wo­uld be equ­al­ly go­od."
"I ha­ve a gre­at many dres­ses," she sa­id.
"I ha­ve be­en pre­sen­ted to the Emp­ress. I tho­ught I sho­uld ha­ve so­me fun per­haps, but when the Ba­ron de­ci­ded to marry me that put an end to that."
"When are you to marry?"
"Very so­on. Next month ... on my eigh­te­enth birth­day."
She lo­oked at me sud­denly and stop­ped and it oc­cur­red to me that she wo­uld very easily sha­re con­fi­den­ces. Po­or child! I had dis­co­ve­red a go­od de­al abo­ut her in a short ti­me and I knew that she was lo­nely and frigh­te­ned.
"How wo­uld it be if we de­ci­ded on the dress now," I sa­id, 'and we co­uld start the mi­ni­atu­re to­mor­row mor­ning. I sho­uld li­ke to be early . so­on af­ter ni­ne o'clock. The light sho­uld be go­od then. The mi­ni­atu­re, I un­ders­tand, is to be mo­un­ted in the sa­me way as the one I did of the Ba­ron. It is in gold with di­amonds and sap­phi­res. It is ab­so­lu­tely mag­ni­fi­cent, as you know. That is one of the re­asons why I tho­ught blue for the dress. "
"All right. Co­me on ... now."
She led the way down from the at­tic. Her bed­ro­om was very grand whi­te and gold with rich car­pets and be­a­uti­ful ta­pest­ri­es on the walls.
"This ho­use was da­ma­ged du­ring the Re­vo­lu­ti­on," she told me, 'but the Em­pe­ror was very in­sis­tent that Pa­ris sho­uld be be­a­uti­ful aga­in. They say Pa­ris was li­ke a pho­enix ri­sing out of the ru­ins. "
"It is very be­a­uti­ful," I rep­li­ed.
"How for­tu­na­te you are to li­ve in such a pla­ce."
"Some pe­op­le are happy wit­ho­ut be­a­uti­ful ho­uses. I saw a girl in a mo­dis­te's shop when I was ri­ding past the ot­her day. A yo­ung man was with her and she was trying on a hat. He lo­oked at her and kis­sed her.
She lo­oked so happy and I tho­ught: She's hap­pi­er than I am. And I won­de­red if she was go­ing to marry the yo­ung man who kis­sed her. He wo­uld be so­me­one she had cho­sen for her­self I sa­id: "You ne­ver know what is go­ing on in ot­her pe­op­le's li­ves. I was on­ce en­vi­o­us of a girl in a pastry co­ok shop. She was ser­ving the ca­kes and she lo­oked so be­a­uti­ful among all the lo­aves of freshly ba­ked bre­ad and fancy ca­kes.
I had a go­ver­ness then and I co­uld not get my sums right. I ha­ted arith­me­tic and when I saw that girl ser­ving the ca­kes I sa­id to myself:
She ne­ver has to do hor­rid sums. How I wish I co­uld chan­ge pla­ces with her. A few we­eks la­ter that shop was bur­ned down and I he­ard that the be­a­uti­ful girl had be­en bur­ned to de­ath."
The Prin­ces­se was sta­ring at me inc­re­du­lo­usly.
"So," I went on, 'you sho­uld ne­ver envy an­yo­ne. You sho­uld ne­ver re­al­ly want to chan­ge pla­ces for so­met­hing you re­al­ly don't know very much abo­ut. If you don't li­ke what's hap­pe­ning to you, find a way out of it or ac­cept it . whic­he­ver you think best. "
R
"Why ... was the girl bur­ned to de­ath? Why did the shop catch fi­re?"
"Something went wrong with her fat­her's ovens, I sup­po­se. But it ta­ught me a les­son which I'm pas­sing on to you. Now. shall we lo­ok at the dres­ses?"
There we­re rows of them. I fo­und a pe­acock blue silk which I tho­ught wo­uld to­ne in well with the sap­phi­res. I as­ked if she wo­uld try it on so that I co­uld see her in it.
She was only too re­ady to, and when she had do­ne so I de­ci­ded it was just right.
"That's set­tled then. To­mor­row mor­ning. Is ni­ne too early?"
"Nine-thirty," she sa­id; and I knew that she wo­uld be the­re.
So be­gan my ac­qu­a­in­tan­ce with the Prin­ces­se Ma­rie Cla­ude de Cres­pigny.
It flo­uris­hed qu­ickly. She ap­pa­rently li­ked my at­ti­tu­de to her mo­ods.
I ne­it­her comp­la­ined nor was I sub­ser­vi­ent; I just ma­in­ta­ined a co­ol in­dif­fe­ren­ce. I was the­re to pa­int a pic­tu­re and I wan­ted to do it as well as I co­uld. Over the first sit­ting we be­ca­me qu­ite fri­endly. She tal­ked a gre­at de­al, which was what I wan­ted. The­re was so­met­hing very ap­pe­aling and fe­mi­ni­ne abo­ut her. I wo­uld bring that out in the port­ra­it . a comp­le­ment to the over­po­we­ring bully of a man who was to be her hus­band. I wo­uld ma­ke the mi­ni­atu­res a study in cont­rasts -the overw­hel­mingly mas­cu­li­ne man and the de­ci­dedly fe­mi­ni­ne wo­man.
They wo­uld be an ex­qu­isi­te pa­ir in the­ir di­amond and sap­phi­re set­tings both in blue that lo­vely sha­de of blue. No won­der pe­op­le cal­led it he­avenly.
I was enj­oying this now. To sit in that ro­om and pa­int and not to ha­ve to do it sur­rep­ti­ti­o­usly as I had at Cen­te­vil­le. Ah, Cen­te­vil­le, the­re co­uld ne­ver be anot­her ex­pe­ri­en­ce such as that! I la­ug­hed to think of all the pre­ca­uti­ons we had ta­ken when all the ti­me the Ba­ron knew.
"You're smi­ling, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son. I know why. You are thin­king of' Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer."
"Bertrand de Mor­te­mer," I mur­mu­red, flus­hing. She was de­ligh­ted to see me mo­men­ta­rily em­bar­ras­sed.
"Oh yes. I he­ard that he bro­ught you he­re. And he sa­id he wo­uld call on you. He is very go­od-lo­oking. I sup­po­se you li­ke him a gre­at de­al."
"I li­ke him."
"Shall you marry him, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son?"
I he­si­ta­ted and she cri­ed: "Oh, you will. That will be so ni­ce too.
You'll be­co­me French. Pe­op­le do chan­ge the­ir na­ti­ona­lity when they marry, don't they? They ta­ke that of the­ir hus­bands. Why sho­uldn't men ta­ke the na­ti­ona­lity of the­ir wi­ves? "
"This is a we­ighty su­bj­ect," I sa­id.
"Women are rec­ko­ned not to be as go­od at anyt­hing as men. But that is chan­ging. See, he­re am I ... an ar­tist in my own right, tho­ugh a wo­man."
"I he­ard at first that you just hel­ped yo­ur fat­her and that he was the gre­at ar­tist."
"The Ba­ron chan­ged that. He re­cog­ni­zed fi­ne art when he saw it- and rightly, he do­esn't ca­re who pa­in­ted it."
"Tell me what you think abo­ut the Ba­ron?" Her mo­od had chan­ged. It was sul­len al­most. I did not want that exp­res­si­on to cre­ep in.
"He is a very ar­tis­tic man."
"I don't me­an that." She lo­oked at me ste­adily and then she sa­id: "I don't want to marry him. I don't want to go to his cast­le. So­me­ti­mes I think I'd do anyt­hing .. just anyt­hing to stop it."
"Why do you fe­el thus abo­ut him? Do you know him well?"
"I ha­ve se­en him three ti­mes. The first was at Co­urt when I was pre­sen­ted to him. He didn't ta­ke much no­ti­ce of me then. But my co­usin the Com­tes­se sa­id that he wan­ted to marry me. It was a go­od match and we we­re in dif­fi­cul­ti­es over the es­ta­tes. Mo­ney ... it is al­ways mo­ney. Pe­op­le ne­ver wor­ri­ed abo­ut it so they say be­fo­re the Re­vo­lu­ti­on. Now most pe­op­le ha­ve to ... pe­op­le li­ke us, that is. The Ba­ron is rich. It wo­uld be a go­od thing if we got so­me mo­ney in­to the fa­mily. I am a prin­cess and he li­kes that. My grand­mot­her ma­na­ged to es­ca­pe the gu­il­lo­ti­ne. She went to Eng­land for a whi­le and had a baby the­re. That was my fat­her. He was a prin­ce, so when I was born I be­ca­me a prin­cess ... wit­ho­ut for­tu­ne, of co­ur­se, but our fa­mily was a very nob­le one. You see, the Ba­ron bo­asts abo­ut be­ing Nor­man, but that do­es not stop his wan­ting to marry in­to the ro­yal blo­od. It's so­met­hing to do with child­ren. I shall ha­ve to ha­ve a lot of child­ren.
The Ba­ron thinks it is ti­me he mar­ri­ed and pro­du­ced them, and be­ca­use I'm a prin­cess, I am the one cho­sen to be­ar them."
"It's a fa­mi­li­ar story," I sa­id.
"This sort of thing has be­en hap­pe­ning to pe­op­le for ge­ne­ra­ti­ons. Very of­ten it turns out well.
Some of the­se mar­ri­ages of con­ve­ni­en­ce are very happy. "
"How wo­uld you li­ke to marry the Ba­ron?"
I was not in ti­me to hi­de the lo­ok of re­vul­si­on which spre­ad ac­ross my fa­ce.
"There. You ha­ve spo­ken ... alt­ho­ugh you ha­ve sa­id no word. You ha­ve se­en him, you ha­ve spent so­me ti­me pa­in­ting his pic­tu­re, you know what he is li­ke. I dre­am of him so­me­ti­mes. I am lying in the mid­dle of a big bed and he is co­ming to­wards me. Then he's the­re ... smot­he­ring me and I ha­te it... ha­te it..."
I sa­id: "It wo­uld not be li­ke that at all. Wha­te­ver his fa­ults, the Ba­ron wo­uld ha­ve go­od man­ners ... erin the bedc­ham­ber."
"What do you know abo­ut his man­ners in the bedc­ham­ber?"
I qu­ickly ad­mit­ted that I knew not­hing.
"Then how can you talk of them? I am so frigh­te­ned of this mar­ri­age.
Even if I got used to him, it wo­uld be ter­rib­le ha­ving all tho­se child­ren . all that dis­com­fort and pa­in as well as the way of get­ting them. "
"My de­ar Prin­ces­se, I be­li­eve you ha­ve be­en lis­te­ning to lu­rid gos­sip."
"I know how ba­bi­es are con­ce­ived. I know how they are born. Per­haps it is all right with so­me­one you lo­ve. But when you ha­te ... and you know he do­esn't re­al­ly li­ke you ... and you ha­ve to go on do­ing that for ye­ars and ye­ars ..."
"This is an ext­ra­or­di­nary con­ver­sa­ti­on."
"I tho­ught you wan­ted to get to know me."
"I do, and I un­ders­tand how you fe­el. I wish the­re we­re so­met­hing I co­uld do to help you."
She was smi­ling at me, swe­etly, pat­he­ti­cal­ly, and I tho­ught: If I co­uld cap­tu­re that smi­le it wo­uld be be­a­uti­ful.
"You might," she was sa­ying.
"Who knows? At le­ast I can talk to you."
That was the na­tu­re of our con­ver­sa­ti­on. It me­ant that our fri­ends­hip was gro­wing, and I tho­ught she was be­gin­ning to li­ke me.
She cer­ta­inly ca­me punc­tu­al­ly to her sit­tings and wan­ted to go on tal­king af­ter I had la­id down my brus­hes.
I now had me­als with the Prin­ces­se and the Com­tes­se. I had he­ard the Prin­ces­se tel­ling the Com­tes­se that ar­tists must be tre­ated with res­pect. God ma­de them and men ma­de kings.
She was a se­ri­o­us girl. I think she had pro­bably had a sad upb­rin­ging and as an orp­han had be­en pas­sed from one mem­ber of the fa­mily to anot­her her gre­at as­set be­ing her tit­le.
After each sit­ting she wo­uld lo­ok at the port­ra­it. I was ple­ased that she li­ked it.
"My no­se lo­oks inc­hes short­ci," she com­men­ted.
"If that we­re true it wo­uld not be the­re at all. On a tiny pic­tu­re li­ke that a frac­ti­on of an inch can de­ci­de whet­her yo­ur no­se is ho­oked or ret­ro­us­se."
How cle­ver you are! You ha­ve ma­de me lo­ok much pret­ti­er than I am.
"
"That is how I see you. You are pret­ti­er when you smi­le."
"That's why you want to ma­ke me smi­le all the ti­me, is it?"
"I li­ke a smi­le for the port­ra­it, but I li­ke it any­way, and if I we­re not pa­in­ting yo­ur port­ra­it I sho­uld still want to ma­ke you smi­le."
She did not say that she enj­oyed the sit­tings, but it was ob­vi­o­us that she did. The­re we­re no mo­re bro­ken ap­po­int­ments and on­ce she sa­id:
"Don't fi­nish it too so­on, will you, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son?"
She wan­ted to know what I was go­ing to do when I fi­nis­hed he­re. I told her that first I sho­uld go ho­me. I desc­ri­bed Col­li­son Ho­use to her and the ne­igh­bo­ur­ho­od as well. She lis­te­ned avidly.
"But you will co­me back to Fran­ce," she sa­id.
"I ha­ve se­ve­ral com­mis­si­ons."
"And you will marry Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer."
"That's for the fu­tu­re."
"You are lucky. I wish I we­re go­ing to marry Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer."
"You don't know him."
"I do. I've met him at se­ve­ral ho­uses. He is hand­so­me and char­ming .. and kind. I sup­po­se you're in lo­ve with each ot­her."
"That wo­uld se­em a very go­od re­ason for mar­rying."
"Not a mar­ri­age of con­ve­ni­en­ce for you."
"I ha­ve no grand tit­les and I don't think he has vast we­alth."
"Lucky pe­op­le!" She sig­hed and was sad aga­in.
The next day she ca­me to her sit­ting in a mo­od of ex­ci­te­ment.
"I'll tell you right away. We are in­vi­ted to a.Jete cham­pet­re. Do you know what that is?"
J
"My know­led­ge of the French lan­gu­age ma­kes it per­fectly cle­ar to me."
"What do you call it in Eng­lish?"
"Oh ... an al fres­co party ... a pic­nic."
"A pic­nic. I li­ke that. Pic­nic." She re­pe­ated the word la­ug­hing.
"But a. fe­te cham­pet­re so­unds far mo­re be­a­uti­ful."
"It do­es in­de­ed. But tell me abo­ut this party to which you and the Com­tes­se are in­vi­ted."
"It is at the ho­use and gar­dens of the fa­mily L'Estran­ge. Evet­te L'Estran­ge in­vi­tes us. The ho­use ne­ar St. Clo­ud is very char­ming. The fe­te is an an­nu­al event with them. We ha­ve ... what is it ... a pic­nic? ... in the gar­dens and fi­elds. And the­re is the ri­ver and lit­tle bo­ats and swans. It is very char­ming. Evet­te L'Estran­ge en­ga­ges the best mu­si­ci­ans to play for us."
"You will enj­oy it."
"And so will you."

"I?"

"When I sa­id we, I did not me­an the Com­tes­se. I me­ant you and me. They are an­xi­o­us to me­et the fa­mo­us ar­tist. They ha­ve he­ard of yo­ur fa­me."
"I don't be­li­eve it."
"Do you tell me I lie, Ma­de­mo­isel­le? Let me tell you that the Ba­ron is so ple­ased with the pic­tu­re you did of him that he is tel­ling ever­yo­ne abo­ut it. It se­ems as tho­ugh a gre­at many pe­op­le want to me­et you."
I was overw­hel­med. I did not know whet­her I was ple­ased or not. I did not want too much to be ex­pec­ted of me un­til I had pro­ved myself. I had had my suc­cess with the Ba­ron's pic­tu­re, but first I wan­ted to ma­ke su­re that I co­uld re­pe­at it. I wan­ted to bu­ild up gra­du­al­ly. At the sa­me ti­me all this ap­pre­ci­ati­on was very swe­et.
"What shall you we­ar?" de­man­ded the Prin­ces­se.
"You ha­ven't &nyfite cham­pet­re clot­hes ha­ve you?"
I ag­re­ed that that was very li­kely, and she sa­id that she tho­ught her se­amst­ress co­uld ma­ke a dress for me in an af­ter­no­on. It had to be rat­her simp­le . it was that sort of oc­ca­si­on.
"Rather li­ke Ma­rie An­to­inet­te pla­ying at be­ing a co­untry girl at the Ha­me­au."
"You se­em to know a gre­at de­al abo­ut our his­tory. Mo­re than I do."
"You wo­uld find it in­te­res­ting to know mo­re per­haps."
"What I do know is the sort of dress you must ha­ve. Mus­lin with sprigs of flo­wers on it... gre­en for you ... and a whi­te straw hat trim­med with gre­en rib­bons."
She was as go­od as her word and the next day the dress was ma­de. The ma­te­ri­al was not mus­lin but fi­ne cot­ton and the de­co­ra­ti­on lit­tle gre­en bells not sprigs of flo­wers. It didn't mat­ter. It was char­ming to see the Prin­ces­se so ple­ased and de­ter­mi­ned to ma­ke me lo­ok right for the­j­ete cham­pet­re.
She and I went off to­get­her in the car­ri­age. The­re was a cer­ta­in air of reck­les­sness abo­ut her which puz­zled me. I tho­ught how chil­dish she was sin­ce the pros­pect of an en­ter­ta­in­ment li­ke this co­uld dri­ve all tho­ughts of her mar­ri­age from her mind; she cer­ta­inly knew how to li­ve in the mo­ment, which was per­haps just as well.
It was a very ple­asant af­ter­no­on. I was warmly re­ce­ived by Evet­te L'Estran­ge a yo­ung wo­man with a much ol­der hus­band. The­re was a step­son, Ar­mand, who must ha­ve be­en abo­ut twenty ye­ars old.
Several pe­op­le ca­me up to tell me that they had he­ard of the won­der­ful port­ra­it I had do­ne of the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le, and they ho­ped they might be al­lo­wed to see the one I was pa­in­ting now.
It was all very enj­oyab­le.
And then I had my surp­ri­se. The fo­od was abo­ut to be ser­ved and tab­les had be­en set up in the lar­ge fi­eld. Flun­keys we­re run­ning abo­ut in all di­rec­ti­ons and the whi­te tab­lec­loths lo­oked very pretty flut­te­ring in the light bre­eze. They we­re un­do­ing the ham­pers and ta­king out cut­lets, cold ve­ni­son, chic­ken and pi­es with a va­ri­ety of swe­et­me­ats.
Wine was spark­ling in the glas­ses.
Someone from be­hind me sa­id: "Shall we find a pla­ce and sit to­get­her."
I swung ro­und. Bert­rand was smi­ling at me.
He to­ok my hands and held them tightly; then he kis­sed me on eit­her che­ek.
"Kate," he sa­id, 'it's won­der­ful to see you. "
"Did you ..."
"Did I know you wo­uld be he­re?" He nod­ded.
"Evette L'Estran­ge is a gre­at fri­end of my mot­her. My mot­her is he­re.
She is with my fat­her and sis­ter. They wish to me­et you. They are de­ligh­ted and are won­de­ring what such a fa­mo­us lady can pos­sibly see in me."
I gas­ped.
"Famous!" I cri­ed.
"But it is only sin­ce the ..."
I stop­ped, not wan­ting to men­ti­on his na­me on such a day. This was a day for hap­pi­ness.
The we­at­her was per­fect. The sun warm but not too hot. Ele­gant men and wo­men . they all se­emed be­a­uti­ful and they we­re all char­ming and kind to me. It was in­de­ed a won­der­ful day.
I was warmly ac­cep­ted by the Mor­te­mer fa­mily. I knew then that I wan­ted this mar­ri­age. It was the first ti­me I had felt so su­re.
Previously I had tho­ught that I had be­en car­ri­ed along too fast and too many new imp­res­si­ons had co­me too qu­ickly. Bert­rand had se­emed de­light­ful be­ca­use he was such a cont­rast to the Ba­ron. Everyt­hing had be­en so dif­fe­rent from what I had known be­fo­re. I had be­en be­mu­sed, be­daz­zled by dif­fe­rent cus­toms and pe­op­le who se­emed so far apart from the mun­da­ne li­fe at Far­ring­don. But now I felt at ho­me he­re, and it was Bert­rand's pe­op­le who had ma­de me fe­el that.
I had a long talk with his mot­her, who sa­id she qu­ite un­ders­to­od that I sho­uld want to wa­it a lit­tle ti­me be­fo­re mar­rying. She had exp­la­ined this to the im­pa­ti­ent Bert­rand. She sa­id:
"It has all be­en so qu­ick, my de­ar. You ha­ve be­en rus­hed off yo­ur fe­et. Go ho­me and tell them all abo­ut it... and then you will see that it is right for you."
I tho­ught she was char­ming and I li­ked his fat­her and sis­ter. Ele­gant as they we­re, the­re was a ho­mely charm abo­ut them- and by that I me­ant a na­tu­ral­ness. And I was happy with them.
"You must bring yo­ur fat­her out to vi­sit us," they sa­id.
"The fa­mi­li­es must get to know each ot­her."
That se­emed an ex­cel­lent idea, I rep­li­ed. I had so­me com­mis­si­ons to do and sho­uld ha­ve to co­me back to Fran­ce very so­on. I wan­ted to go ho­me first, tho­ugh, be­ca­use I was a lit­tle an­xi­o­us abo­ut my fat­her.
She un­ders­to­od per­fectly.
That was a clo­ud­less af­ter­no­on and one which fil­led me with de­light-almost-be­ca­use I felt I knew which way I was go­ing. But two things did hap­pen in the la­te af­ter­no­on which ca­used me a prick or two of an­xi­ety.
Bertrand and I had left the rest of his fa­mily and ta­ken one of the bo­ats to row down the ri­ver.
I sat back un­der my suns­ha­de whi­le Bert­rand ro­wed. He sat the­re smi­ling con­ten­tedly, tal­king of our mar­ri­age.
"We sha­il not be rich," he sa­id, and ad­ded smi­ling: "But you will ha­ve to earn a lot of mo­ney for us with yo­ur pa­in­ting."
"I sho­uld li­ke to do that."
"Not for the mo­ney ... for the lo­ve of art, eh? I want you to be happy, Ka­te, and you ne­ver wo­uld be wit­ho­ut yo­ur pa­in­ting. We will turn one of the ro­oms at Mor­te­mer in­to a stu­dio for you."
"That wo­uld be lo­vely."
Oh, it was a per­fect day.
"You will plan how you wo­uld li­ke it when you co­me to stay with us. My mot­her sa­id you ha­ve pro­mi­sed to co­me ... you and yo­ur fat­her. Per­haps then we can ma­ke all the ne­ces­sary ar­ran­ge­ments."
"For the ro­om?"
"For our mar­ri­age. For both."
"I sho­uld li­ke a ro­om si­mi­lar to the one at Cen­te­vil­le."
It was tact­less. I had bro­ught a sha­dow in­to the per­fect day. I sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve men­ti­oned Cen­te­vil­le.
He was si­lent and I saw the an­ger in his fa­ce. He clenc­hed his fist and sa­id: "I co­uld mur­der him."
"Don't think of him ... on a day li­ke this."
But Bert­rand co­uld not stop thin­king of him.
"If you co­uld ha­ve se­en him ..." he went on.
"He sat the­re ... smi­ling.
"I want her set­tled," he sa­id.
"I'm fond of Ni­co­le You li­ke her, too. You won't suf­fer for it..." I co­uld not be­li­eve my ears. "
"Never mind," I sa­id so­ot­hingly.
"It's over. You told him cle­arly what you tho­ught of such a sug­ges­ti­on."
"He lo­oked at me as tho­ugh he co­uld ha­ve kil­led me when I sho­uted at him. It's not of­ten pe­op­le sho­ut at him. I sa­id:
"Keep yo­ur cast-off mist­ress. I wo­uldn't to­uch any wo­man of yo­urs. It wo­uld ma­ke me sick every ti­me I went ne­ar her. I'd think of you with her ... all the ti­me."
"Forget it," I ple­aded.
"It's over."
But Bert­rand co­uld not stop. He went on: "He sa­id:
"You're go­ing to marry my mist­ress and not be a fo­ol. It'll be the ma­king of you." I went mad then. I sho­uted at him. I told him:
"Never, ne­ver, ne­ver ..." And then I ca­me away. I don't sup­po­se an­yo­ne has ever spo­ken to him li­ke that be­fo­re. "
"You ma­de yo­ur fe­elings very cle­ar to him. Now, do let's for­get him.
You ne­ed ne­ver see him aga­in. He might try to harm you. But how co­uld he? Fi­nan­ci­al­ly? Ne­ver mind. We don't want mo­ney that co­mes thro­ugh him. I'll pa­int. It will be a won­der­ful li­fe. "
He smi­led at me and went back to his ro­wing in si­len­ce But the ma­gic had go­ne from the day.
The ot­her in­ci­dent con­cer­ned the Prin­ces­se.
I saw her co­me out from the wo­ods along the ri­ver bank, hand in hand with Ar­mand L'Estran­ge. She lo­oked flus­hed and very happy and the­re was abo­ut her an air of. what I can only desc­ri­be as pro­ud de­fi­an­ce.
For a mo­ment I was start­led; and then I tho­ught: She is only a child.
We we­re si­lent as we ro­de back to Pa­ris. I tho­ught how be­a­uti­ful the city lo­oked in the fa­ding light as we ca­me thro­ugh the Bo­is de Bo­ulog­ne past the Arc de Tri­omp­he and in­to the Rue du Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int-Ho­no­re.
At length the Prin­ces­se spo­ke.
"What an ex­ci­ting day! For both of us, I think. So it is now de­fi­ni­te. You are go­ing to be Ma­da­me de Mor­te­mer. As for me ... who knows?"
She was so happy. I was not go­ing to ma­ke the mis­ta­ke of men­ti­oning the Ba­ron's na­me for the se­cond ti­me that day.
The day af­ter the­j­ete cham­pet­re the Prin­ces­se was not well. She was pa­le, list­less and dep­res­sed. Po­or child, I tho­ught. Her co­ming mar­ri­age alarms her so much and she can't for­get that it is co­ming ne­arer and ne­arer every day. She did not lo­ok in the le­ast li­ke the pretty yo­ung girl who was be­gin­ning to emer­ge in the mi­ni­atu­re.
Marie-Claude was no be­a­uty; her fe­atu­res we­re ir­re­gu­lar and the lo­wer part ot­her fa­ce too he­avy; she had to be happy to be at­trac­ti­ve. She was ef­fer­ves­cent by na­tu­re, and when I tho­ught of the happy girl at the­re­to cham­pet­re she se­emed to be­ar lit­tle re­la­ti­ons­hip to this pa­le-fa­ced girl in the bed.
She did not le­ave her ro­om and sit­tings we­re can­cel­led. She did ask me to sit with her, which I was glad to do. At ti­mes I tho­ught she was on the po­int of con­fi­ding in me but I did not en­co­ura­ge this be­ca­use I knew it was go­ing to be abo­ut her fe­ars for her co­ming mar­ri­age, and the­re was lit­tle I co­uld say to com­fort her abo­ut that. To tell her that mar­ri­ages of con­ve­ni­en­ce of­ten tur­ned out hap­pily was ba­nal re­al­ly. I tri­ed to put myself in her pla­ce. I was su­re I sho­uld ha­ve do­ne so­met­hing abo­ut it. But how co­uld I pre­ach re­bel­li­on to my po­or help­less lit­tle Prin­ces­se?
I tri­ed to talk of ot­her things of my ho­me and the li­fe we led in Far­ring­don; and so­me­ti­mes I ma­de her smi­le a lit­tle.
I to­ok a walk every af­ter­no­on. Each day the spell of Pa­ris wo­ve it­self mo­re tightly abo­ut me. I was enc­han­ted by this be­a­uti­ful city and I tho­ro­ughly enj­oyed exp­lo­ring it. Ma­rie Cla­ude tho­ught I was very ad­ven­tu­ro­us, for she was na­tu­ral­ly not al­lo­wed to go out wit­ho­ut a cha­pe­ro­ne. I felt free in­de­pen­dent of ever­yo­ne. Af­ter all, he­re I was exe­cu­ting a com­mis­si­on for a nob­le­man of Fran­ce. When I ca­me to think of it, the Ba­ron had do­ne a go­od de­al for me. Not only had he gi­ven me ack­now­led­ge­ment of my art but he had ma­de a per­son of me in my own right. I sup­po­se I sho­uld be gra­te­ful for that.
I must stop thin­king of the man. He had even int­ru­ded in­to the won­der­ful af­ter­no­on oft­he­j­ete cham­pet­re and bro­ught an ugly clo­ud.
Because of him po­or Ma­rie-Cla­ude was suf­fe­ring at this mo­ment for I was su­re her il­lness was not­hing mo­re than an at­tack of ner­vo­us ap­pre­hen­si­on. Me­anw­hi­le her in­dis­po­si­ti­on ga­ve me free ti­me to exp­lo­re du­ring an ex­ten­ded stay in Pa­ris. I was not sorry, be­ca­use I was a lit­tle tro­ub­led by the mi­ni­atu­re. I did want to get so­met­hing as go­od as the one I had do­ne of the Ba­ron but at the sa­me ti­me I was eager to ma­ke the Prin­ces­se ap­pe­ar at her most at­trac­ti­ve. Oddly eno­ugh, the Ba­ron had be­en an easi­er su­bj­ect.
I wo­uld go out every af­ter­no­on at two o'clock pre­ci­sely and I co­ve­red a gre­at de­al of gro­und, for I was a go­od wal­ker. I wan­de­red thro­ugh the stre­ets down the Ave­nue du­Bo­is de Bo­ulog­ne to the Lo­uv­re and fo­und my way to the Gar­dens of the Lu­xem­bo­urg. Most imp­res­si­ve of all was the gre­at Cat­hed­ral of Not­re Da­me. From the mo­ment I en­te­red it I felt a tre­men­do­us ex­ci­te­ment. It was glo­omy in­si­de and a scent of in­cen­se hung in the air. I exp­lo­red a lit­tle, but I knew this was not the way to see the cat­hed­ral and that I sho­uld co­me back and back aga­in for as long as that we­re pos­sib­le. All that I had ever he­ard abo­ut the pla­ce ca­me flo­oding back to me. I re­mem­be­red that our own Henry the Sixth had be­en crow­ned King of Fran­ce he­re mo­re than fo­ur hund­red ye­ars ago.
Later Hen­ri of Na­var­re had mar­ri­ed Mar­gu­eri­te de Va­lo­is- in the porch be­ca­use as a Hu­gu­enot he was not al­lo­wed in­si­de- and that mar­ri­age had be­en fol­lo­wed by the ter­rib­le mas­sac­re ofSt. Bart­ho­lo­mew; and twenty ye­ars la­ter when he had ta­ken pos­ses­si­on of the city, the sa­me Hen­ri, ha­ving ag­re­ed to be­co­me a Cat­ho­lic, had sa­id it was worth a mass.
I was fas­ci­na­ted by the hi­de­o­us gar­goy­les, and I sto­od for a long ti­me ga­zing from one to anot­her won­de­ring why it had be­en tho­ught ne­ces­sary to adorn but per­haps that was hardly the word- such a holy pla­ce with such de­mo­ni­acal fi­gu­res. The exp­res­si­ons in the fa­ces we­re so­met­hing one wo­uld see in night­ma­res. In­de­ed I won­de­red whet­her I sho­uld ever for­get them. What did they me­an to con­vey? Cun­ning . yes, that was the­re . cru­elty, lust, gre­ed . all the se­ven de­adly sins. And abo­ve all, I think, a cer­ta­in cyni­cism.
As I sto­od the­re lo­oking at them, one of the­se- the most sa­tur­ni­ne of them all- se­emed to mo­ve and the fe­atu­res sli­de in­to a dif­fe­rent sha­pe.
For a mo­ment I tho­ught it was the Ba­ron who was lo­oking at me.
He lo­oked li­ke a de­mon. What had he cal­led him­self? The De­mon Lo­ver?
Lover! It was hardly li­kely that he wo­uld ever lo­ve an­yo­ne but him­self. I sta­red. The sto­ne had set back in­to that cru­el fa­ce and it co­uld ha­ve be­en la­ug­hing at me.
I must get that man out of my mind.
I had sta­yed lon­ger than I re­ali­zed and de­ci­ded I wo­uld ta­ke a cab.
There was one wa­iting by the cat­hed­ral and I ha­iled it, ga­ve the coc­ker inst­ruc­ti­ons. He to­uc­hed his whi­te hat and we set off.
After that I ma­de a ha­bit of using cabs. I fo­und that I co­uld wan­der whe­re I li­ked, stay lon­ger and then simply ha­il a cab and be back at the ho­use at the ti­me I set myself.
The Prin­ces­se was al­ways in­te­res­ted to he­ar whe­re I had be­en and I li­ked to talk abo­ut my lit­tle trips. I think she was be­gin­ning to see Pa­ris thro­ugh new eyes.
I told her that I had be­en to the cat­hed­ral and how enth­ral­ling I had fo­und it. I in­ten­ded to go back the fol­lo­wing day.
"It's qu­ite a long way."
"I'm a go­od wal­ker and I can ta­ke a cab back."
"You are lucky, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Ka­te. How won­der­ful it must be to be free."
I lo­oked at her sadly. I knew that this il­lness of hers was just a de­si­re to hold back ti­me. She did not want the mi­ni­atu­re to be fi­nis­hed; he­re in her bed she fo­und a small re­fu­ge aga­inst the enc­ro­ac­hing fu­tu­re.
The fol­lo­wing mor­ning when I was pre­pa­ring to go out af­ter de­j­e­uner at the usu­al ho­ur of two o'clock she as­ked if I was go­ing to Not­re Da­me and if so wo­uld I call in at the lit­tle mo­dis­te's shop clo­se by. She wan­ted me to ta­ke a no­te the­re. It was abo­ut a hat she wan­ted ma­de.
I went to the cat­hed­ral. I had ta­ken a sketch-bo­ok this ti­me and I sat in­si­de and ma­de a few sketc­hes, but all the ti­me what I re­al­ly wan­ted to sketch was the gar­goy­les. I did so­me from me­mory, but I tho­ught I in­ven­ted exp­res­si­ons and in all of them the­re was so­met­hing which re­min­ded me of the Ba­ron.
I ca­me out of the cat­hed­ral and fo­und my way to the mo­dis­te's shop. I de­li­ve­red the mes­sa­ge and to­ok a cab back to the ho­use.
When I went in to tell Ma­rie-Cla­ude that I had gi­ven in the no­te she se­emed bet­ter.
"I want you to go aga­in to­mor­row," she sa­id, 'and ma­ke su­re the mo­dis­te can carry out the or­der. "
The next day I did the sa­me. They we­re still wa­iting for de­li­very of the ma­te­ri­al, they told me.
I went back in a cab. I re­al­ly enj­oyed the­se trips ac­ross the City, and I was be­gin­ning to know the stre­ets thro­ugh which we pas­sed. I had a go­od sen­se of lo­ca­ti­on and when I re­tur­ned to the ho­use and tal­ked to Ma­rie-Gla­ude I felt a gre­at de­si­re for this to go on. Li­ke her, I did not want ti­me to pass too qu­ickly; li­ke her, per­haps I was ap­pre­hen­si­ve abo­ut the fu­tu­re and that was what ma­de the pre­sent so de­si­rab­le. I was still un­su­re abo­ut my mar­ri­age. Wasn't I mar­rying in­to a fo­re­ign co­untry and to a man whom I had known for a very short ti­me? Had Ma­rie-Cla­ude ma­de me re­ali­ze the pit­fal­ls one co­uld find in mar­ri­age?
Had I plun­ged in­to this re­la­ti­ons­hip too im­pul­si­vely? Was I ca­ught up in the ex­ci­te­ment of so much that was new? Wo­uld I do bet­ter to go ho­me and think abo­ut it all for a whi­le?
Each day I sa­id: "Do you fe­el re­ady to re­su­me the sit­ting?"
"Another day," she wo­uld in­sist.
But the next day it wo­uld be "Not just yet .. per­haps to­mor­row."
I had pa­id se­ve­ral vi­sits to the mo­dis­te's shop.
"I am so eager to he­ar that she has what I want," sa­id Ma­rie Cla­ude "It is so im­por­tant that it sho­uld be exactly right. So you still go to Not­re Da­me?"
"I am in­te­res­ted in the sur­ro­un­ding dist­rict. But... I can al­ways go whe­re­ver you want me to."
"Thank you. Don't wan­der in­to any of tho­se nar­row win­ding stre­ets which I be­li­eve are so­mew­he­re ne­ar the cat­hed­ral. The­re is a dist­rict whe­re they used to ma­ke the dyes ... and the­re are stre­ets whe­re wo­men li­ve ... the Stre­et of Pros­ti­tu­tes. Oh de­ar. Ma­de­mo­isel­le Ka­te, ta­ke ca­re and do not go the­re. The­re are thi­eves who ha­ve all sorts of ways of rob­bing you. You can't ima­gi­ne how wic­ked they can be."
I as­su­red her that I co­uld.
"So avo­id the nar­row stre­ets. The Em­pe­ror has wi­de­ned a gre­at many of the ro­ads, but the­re are still so­me of tho­se wic­ked ones re­ma­ining."
"Never fe­ar. When in do­ubt I ta­ke a cab."
"Are the coc­kers po­li­te?"
"Moderately. So­me of them pre­tend they can­not un­ders­tand me. It's my ac­cent, I sup­po­se. They ma­ke me re­pe­at Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int-Ho­no­re so­me­ti­mes, and for the li­fe of me I can­not see the dif­fe­ren­ce in the way in which I say it and the way they do."
"It's be­ca­use they know you're a fo­re­ig­ner and they pro­bably gu­ess that you're Eng­lish at that."
"A do­ub­le fa­ult," I sa­id lightly.
"Oh, I ha­ve no fe­ar of the coc­kers.
I li­ke them. In fact they all lo­ok ali­ke in the­ir blue co­ats and whi­te hats. "
"Don't for­get to call at the mo­dis­te's."
I did call the­re and it was af­ter that when the stran­ge thing hap­pe­ned and I was plun­ged in­to ter­ror.
I went to the shop. Yes, the­re was go­od news. The ma­te­ri­als had ar­ri­ved and Ma­da­me wo­uld gi­ve me a no­te to ta­ke to the Prin­ces­se desc­ri­bing in de­ta­il what they had. They wo­uld go ahe­ad with the work as so­on as she ga­ve them per­mis­si­on.
I ca­me out of the shop. It was a rat­her hazy af­ter­no­on-hot but not sunny. I lo­oked for a cab. So­me­ti­mes I had to walk a lit­tle way be­fo­re I fo­und one, but on this af­ter­no­on one was just cru­ising past as I emer­ged. The coc­ker slo­wed down. I step­ped to­wards him and told him whe­re I wan­ted to go. The­re was no pre­ten­ce this ti­me of not un­ders­tan­ding.
I set­tled down, de­ligh­ted that my mis­si­on to the mo­dis­te had at last pro­ved suc­ces­sful. I won­de­red va­gu­ely why the Prin­ces­se did not send for the mo­dis­te. Why did she send tho­se mes­sa­ges back and forth? She must be bu­ying lots of hats and glo­ves for her wed­ding. I wo­uld ask her. I had be­en so im­mer­sed in my own da­ily ad­ven­tu­res, and be­ca­use of my lo­ve of exp­lo­ra­ti­on and comp­le­te fas­ci­na­ti­on with the Cat­hed­ral I had not gi­ven much tho­ught to the mat­ter un­til now. Ma­ne-Cla­ude was a stran­ge girl and was ca­pab­le of ma­king an ad­ven­tu­re out of bu­ying hats.
I lo­oked up. I did not know the stre­et we we­re in. Per­haps in a mo­ment we wo­uld bre­ak in­to one of the fa­mi­li­ar bo­ule­vards.
We did not. I tho­ught the dri­ver was dri­ving rat­her fast.
I cal­led out: "Did you he­ar me cor­rectly? I want to go to the Rue du Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int-Ho­no­re."
He tur­ned his he­ad slightly and sho­uted: "A short cut."
I sat back. A short cut! But whe­re we­re we?
Five mi­nu­tes la­ter I star­ted to get se­ri­o­usly alar­med. I cal­led out:
"You are not ta­king me to the Sa­int-Ho­no­re."
He did not lo­ok ro­und but me­rely nod­ded.
Then I tho­ught of Ma­rie-Cla­ude's war­nings. They did li­ke to play tricks on fo­re­ig­ners. He was go­ing to pre­tend he had not un­ders­to­od my ac­cent and ta­king me out of my way wo­uld de­mand a lar­ge fa­re.
"Stop!" I cri­ed.
"I want to talk to you."
But he did not stop. He whip­ped up the hor­ses and we we­re now tra­vel­ling at a gre­at spe­ed and I was get­ting re­al­ly frigh­te­ned. Whe­re was he ta­king me . and for what pur­po­se?
I lo­oked out of the win­dow. I had ne­ver se­en this dist­rict of Pa­ris be­fo­re. I be­li­eved he was ta­king me away from the cent­re of the City.
The palms of my hands we­re clammy. What did it me­an? What co­uld his mo­ti­ve be? Was he go­ing to at­tack me? I ima­gi­ned him dri­ving his cab in­to so­me dark co­ach-ho­use. Per­haps he wo­uld kill me. What for? I had lit­tle jewel­lery. I did not lo­ok exactly rich.
I must do so­met­hing. We we­re still in a bu­ilt-up area and we­re pas­sing thro­ugh stre­ets with shops on eit­her si­de. I must try to at­tract so­me­one's at­ten­ti­on. I must not al­low
Q
myself to be dri­ven out of the bu­ilt-up area.
I knoc­ked on the win­dow. No one lo­oked my way. I sup­po­sed I co­uld not be he­ard abo­ve the no­ise of the stre­et.
We had ro­un­ded a bend in the ro­ad. Ahe­ad of us cabs and car­ri­ages we­re clo­se to­get­her. My myste­ri­o­us coc­ker had slac­ke­ned spe­ed. He had to.
There was no help for it.
Now, I sa­id to myself. Now. It co­uld be my only chan­ce.
I ope­ned the do­or and jum­ped down in­to the "oad. So­me­one sho­uted at me. It must ha­ve be­en the dri­ver of an on­co­ming cab. I was qu­ick. I das­hed al­most un­der the hor­se's no­se and I was on the pa­ve­ment. I star­ted to run and I did not stop run­ning for fully fi­ve mi­nu­tes.
Then I pa­used and lo­oked abo­ut me. I was in a stre­et I did not know, but it was com­for­tingly crow­ded with shop­pers. Out­si­de a ca­fe pe­op­le we­re sip­ping cof­fee or ape­ri­tifs. Men and wo­men strol­led by and yo­ung girls with band­bo­xes on the­ir arms hur­ri­ed past me. I lo­oked abo­ut for a cab. I sho­uld be ter­ri­fi­ed to get in­to one aga­in; but I had to. It was ab­surd to be af­ra­id. They had al­ways be­en all right be­fo­re.
People lo­oked at me cu­ri­o­usly and lo­oked away, dis­mis­sing me no do­ubt as a to­urist, ga­zing abo­ut as she exp­lo­red the town.
I star­ted to walk and it se­emed that I wal­ked for mi­les, but 'my sen­se of di­rec­ti­on was go­od and I knew I was go­ing the right way. I must ha­ve wal­ked for ne­arly an ho­ur when the fa­mi­li­ar to­wers of Not­re Da­me lo­omed up in the dis­tan­ce.
I knew whe­re I was then.
I had to ta­ke a cab. I co­uld not pos­sibly walk all the way back.
There we­re plenty abo­ut now. Wo­uld I know my co cher aga­in? What if he had fol­lo­wed me and was wa­iting to pick me up?
I had to ta­ke a chan­ce.
I ha­iled a cab. My re­li­ef was in­ten­se. The coc­ker was a mid­dle-aged man with a big mo­us­tac­he. I as­ked if he wo­uld ta­ke me to the Rue du Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int-Ho­no­re.

D.

L.

- E "But cer­ta­inly, Ma­de­mo­isel­le," he sa­id with a smi­le, and so­on we we­re rat­tling along the fa­mi­li­ar stre­ets.
With gre­at re­li­ef I en­te­red the ho­use. I had emer­ged from a ter­rif­ying ad­ven­tu­re . un­har­med.
As so­on as I was in the ho­use I re­mem­be­red the no­te which I had car­ri­ed for the Prin­ces­se. I to­ok off my clo­ak and went im­me­di­ately to her ro­om.
"Have you got..." she be­gan. She stop­ped. Then she went on:
"Mademoiselle Col­li­son ... Ka­te ... what has hap­pe­ned? You lo­ok as if you ha­ve se­en a ghost."
I sa­id: "I ha­ve just had a ter­rif­ying ad­ven­tu­re."
She clutc­hed the let­ter in her hand and was al­re­ady ope­ning it.
"What?" she cri­ed.
She glan­ced at the let­ter and her lips cur­led up at the cor­ners. Then she lo­oked at me wa­iting.
I sa­id: "I went in­to the mo­dis­te's shop and when I ca­me out I got in­to a cab. The­re se­emed not­hing unu­su­al abo­ut it. The coc­ker lo­oked li­ke all ot­her coc­kers in his blue co­at and whi­te hat. Then I no­ti­ced we we­ren't go­ing the right way. I spo­ke to him. He sa­id it was a short cut. But so­on ... I knew he was ta­king me so­mew­he­re el­se ..."
"Kate! What for?"
"I've no idea. He dro­ve me ac­ross the City, and when he knew that I'd re­ali­zed so­met­hing was wrong, he star­ted to dri­ve very fast. I knew then that he had be­en wa­iting for me ... with his cab ... It was just out­si­de the mo­dis­te's. He wasn't go­ing to stop. Thank God we got in­to a hud­dle of traf­fic and I was ab­le to jump out. Ot­her­wi­se ..."
"Otherwise? Oh... what can it me­an?"
"I can only think that he was go­ing to rob me ... per­haps mur­der me."
Oh no! "
"But su­rely if it was rob­bery, he wo­uld ha­ve cho­sen so­me­one el­se. The­re was not­hing I had that was worth ta­king all that tro­ub­le for."
She was lo­oking at the let­ter in her hand. Then she sa­id slowly: "You had this. That was what it was. It was the Ba­ron. He knows. It is one of his men. He has spi­es everyw­he­re. He knew. He wan­ted the let­ter."
"Tell me what you me­an," I com­man­ded.
"This let­ter is not­hing abo­ut hats. I use the mo­dis­te as a sort of pas­te rest an­te "Who was the let­ter from?"
She he­si­ta­ted and then sa­id: "Armand L'Estran­ge."
"So you ha­ve be­en car­rying on a cor­res­pon­den­ce with him and I ha­ve be­en yo­ur co­uri­er?"
She nod­ded.
"I knew the mo­dis­te wo­uld help so I ar­ran­ged with her to ta­ke let­ters from me to him and for him to le­ave his the­re to be col­lec­ted."
"I see," I sa­id slowly.
"You don't see half of it. I'm in lo­ve with Ar­mand. That's what ma­kes everyt­hing so much wor­se. We're lo­vers, Ka­te. Re­al lo­vers. I me­an we ha­ve be­en with each ot­her as mar­ri­ed pe­op­le."
"Oh!"
"You're shoc­ked. You pre­tend to be so ad­van­ced, but you're shoc­ked. I lo­ve Ar­mand and he lo­ves me."
"Perhaps a mar­ri­age can be ar­ran­ged. It is not too la­te."
"The Ba­ron has de­ci­ded to marry me!"
"It ta­kes two to ma­ke a de­ci­si­on."
"No one wo­uld ever let it hap­pen. Ar­mand wo­uldn't eit­her. The Ba­ron co­uld ru­in him. But that do­esn't pre­vent our ... be­ing to­get­her .. when we can ar­ran­ge it."
"But you are so yo­ung."
"I'm old eno­ugh. I am se­ven­te­en. It star­ted be­fo­re my se­ven­te­enth birth­day. Don't think the first ti­me was at the fe­te cham­pet­re."
I was trying hard to ta­ke in what this me­ant. It was fol­lo­wing too clo­sely on that ot­her shock for me to think cle­arly. I was so sorry for the po­or girl lying in the bed. She was truly ter­ri­fi­ed.
She sa­id, her vo­ice shrill with fe­ar: "He knows. He has dis­co­ve­red. He knew you went to the mo­dis­te's shop to col­lect the no­tes and de­li­ver them, so he had you way­la­id. You wo­uld ha­ve be­en dri­ven so­mew­he­re and the no­te ta­ken from you."
"It is too wild a sche­me."
"Not for him. Not­hing is too wild for him. He wo­uld ha­ve a watch on me. Per­haps he had he­ard ru­mo­urs abo­ut me and Ar­mand. Pe­op­le talk and he wo­uld ha­ve ways of ma­king them talk. He has he­ard ru­mo­urs and trac­ked me down to the mo­dis­te's. That was why you we­re way­la­id. Thank God you es­ca­ped. If this let­ter had fal­len in­to his hands ..."
For a whi­le I be­li­eved her be­ca­use I was so sha­ken by my own ex­pe­ri­en­ce. I tho­ught of her ex­pe­ri­men­ting with lo­ve, for I was su­re that was what it was. She was so yo­ung; she had li­ved in such a shel­te­red fas­hi­on; it was cru­el to for­ce her in­to mar­ri­age with such a man.
I tri­ed to com­fort her, and as I did so I be­gan to see how ab­surd her co­nj­ec­tu­res we­re.
"My de­ar Prin­ces­se," I sa­id, 'if he had known the­re was a no­te at the mo­dis­te's shop all he had to do was go in and de­mand it. She wo­uldn't ha­ve da­red hold out aga­inst him. "
"No, this is li­ke him. He wo­uld ab­duct you and get the no­te from you and pre­tend it was nor­mal rob­bery. He wo­uldn't want me to know he knew. He wo­uld be thin­king of so­me ter­rib­le re­ven­ge for me. He is de­ter­mi­ned to marry me for my ro­yal blo­od. That's what he wants me for the con­ti­nu­al child­be­aring."
She lo­oked down at the no­te and kis­sed it ro­man­ti­cal­ly.
"If he knew we had be­en lo­vers, think of how fu­ri­o­us he wo­uld be."
"That might be sa­id to be a na­tu­ral emo­ti­on." '33 "I'm no vir­gin."
"He is hardly that him­self. Why don't you tell him everyt­hing that has hap­pe­ned? Tell him you lo­ve Ar­mand. Ask him to re­le­ase you."
"Are you mad? What wo­uld hap­pen to us all? The­re'd be ru­in. The L'Estran­ges wo­uld go crazy. He knows how to ta­ke his re­ven­ge."
"Can any man be as bad as we all se­em to think he is?"
"One man co­uld. And they want me to marry him!"
"I don't think you are right abo­ut the cab," I sa­id.
"I think it was pro­bably in­ten­ded rob­bery. On the ot­her hand, it might just ha­ve be­en an at­tempt to get a big fa­re out of me. The fact that I'm a fo­re­ig­ner wo­uld ma­ke it so easy for him to say he mi­sun­ders­to­od."
"It was the Ba­ron," sa­id the Prin­ces­se.
"I know." I went back to my ro­om. I was hor­ribly sha­ken not only by my ex­pe­ri­en­ce but by what the Prin­ces­se had told me.
Before the next we­ek was out I had fi­nis­hed the port­ra­it. It had be­en a busy we­ek for me. I to­ok short walks, ne­ver go­ing so far that I was not pre­pa­red to walk back. I had ta­ken a de­ep aver­si­on to cabs.
The Prin­ces­se brigh­te­ned up con­si­de­rably on the days af­ter her con­fes­si­on. She se­emed rat­her ple­ased with her­self, and the­re was an air of de­fi­an­ce abo­ut her. I co­uld de­tect the loss of in­no­cen­ce which I had co­me to re­ali­ze is so­me­ti­mes ap­pa­rent in very yo­ung girls who ha­ve had se­xu­al ex­pe­ri­en­ce.
I won­de­red what her fu­tu­re li­fe wo­uld be li­ke if she we­re ac­tu­al­ly go­ing thro­ugh with the mar­ri­age; and what his re­ac­ti­on wo­uld be if he dis­co­ve­red she had ta­ken a lo­ver be­fo­re mar­ri­age.
I did not li­ke to con­temp­la­te too de­eply. I saw a far from fe­li­ci­to­us uni­on. But that was no con­cern of mi­ne. I was me­rely the ar­tist who had pa­in­ted the mi­ni­atu­res of the bet­rot­hed pa­ir.
I was re­co­ve­ring from my ex­pe­ri­en­ce, which se­emed less ter­rif­ying on con­temp­la­ti­on. I cer­ta­inly did not be­li­eve the story of the Ba­ron's spy and was gro­wing mo­re and mo­re cer­ta­in that it had be­en a plan of rob­bery or misc­hi­ef. Had I go­ne on in the cab, I might ha­ve be­en rob­bed of my pos­ses­si­ons and left to find my way back or el­se pa­id an ex­ces­si­ve fa­re. Unp­le­asant, but not so very si­nis­ter.
The fi­nis­hed port­ra­it was ex­qu­isi­te. Not such a cle­ver pi­ece of work as that of the Ba­ron, but very char­ming in ap­pe­aran­ce. The mi­ni­atu­re was to be ta­ken back to Cen­te­vil­le so that the Ba­ron's jewel­ler wo­uld fit it in­to its fra­me.
A let­ter ar­ri­ved from the Ba­ron to me. It was writ­ten in per­fect Eng­lish, and I won­de­red if he had writ­ten it him­self or whet­her it was the work of his sec­re­tary.
My de­ar Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son, I am very eager to see the mi­ni­atu­re.
Madame la Com­tes­se tells me that it is be­a­uti­ful. the sort of work I sho­uld ex­pect from you. I co­uld send so­me­one down to col­lect it. I wo­uld, ho­we­ver, be so ple­ased if you wo­uld bring it yo­ur­self. First I sho­uld li­ke to gi­ve you my opi­ni­on of it, and the­re is the mat­ter of the ac­co­unt to be set­tled.
Moreover, I do not li­ke the idea of this pre­ci­o­us pic­tu­re be­ing in any hands that do not un­ders­tand its va­lue.
You ha­ve be­en so go­od in the exe­cu­ti­on of this com­mis­si­on and yo­ur work has gi­ven me a gre­at de­al of ple­asu­re. May I enc­ro­ach on yo­ur go­od­ness to ob­li­ge me with this ot­her small ser­vi­ce?
Your ser­vant, Rol­lo de Cen­te­vil­le. ;
I let the let­ter fall from my hands. I had plan­ned to le­ave for the co­ast wit­hin a few days and then cross the Chan­nel for ho­me.
I had he­ard from my fat­her that he had ar­ri­ved ho­me sa­fely and that he was de­ligh­ted with my suc­cess. The en­terp­ri­se co­uld not ha­ve tur­ned out mo­re sa­tis­fac­to­rily, he po­in­ted out. He be­li­eved that so­on mi­ne wo­uld be a na­me to be rec­ko­ned with in the Pa­ris sa­lons . and ac­cla­im in Eng­land wo­uld na­tu­ral­ly fol­low.
If I went to Cen­te­vil­le my re­turn ho­me wo­uld be de­la­yed and I told myself that I was an­no­yed by this re­qu­est, but that was not exactly the truth. I sho­uld re­al­ly li­ke to go to Cen­te­vil­le on­ce mo­re; I sho­uld even li­ke to see the Ba­ron, for I did want to watch his fa­ce as he saw the mi­ni­atu­re for the first ti­me. That he wo­uld gi­ve a frank opi­ni­on, I knew; and if he we­re in­de­ed ple­ased with it, I sho­uld fe­el very happy in­de­ed be­ca­use wha­te­ver el­se he was the­re was no do­ubt that he was a prac­ti­sed con­no­is­se­ur.
There wo­uld be a de­lay of a we­ek, but I de­ci­ded I must go. He had do­ne so much for me. I had to do this small ser­vi­ce.
I wro­te to my fat­her and told him that my re­turn wo­uld be de­la­yed. I men­ti­oned that I had fi­nis­hed the pic­tu­re of the Prin­ces­se and was ple­ased with it. I now ho­ped the Ba­ron wo­uld be. I exp­la­ined that he wan­ted me to ta­ke it to him and that this was what I was do­ing.
"He has pro­mi­sed to pay me," I wro­te, 'and that is im­por­tant. So­me pe­op­le think it is a lit­tle bo­ur­ge­o­is to pay the­ir bills promptly and so­me­ti­mes ne­ver do, as you know well. It will be ni­ce to ha­ve the mo­ney and if he li­kes the port­ra­it I shall fe­el I re­al­ly am on my way.
"
The Prin­ces­se had be­en de­ligh­ted with the pic­tu­re.
"It flat­ters me," she sa­id.
"No," I told her.
"I just pa­in­ted you at yo­ur best."
She si­lently kis­sed me then.
"I'm sorry we ha­ve to say go­odb­ye to each ot­her," she sa­id sin­ce­rely.
"I ha­ve li­ked yo­ur be­ing he­re. And now you know my sec­rets."
"They will be sa­fe with me."
"Pray for me, Ka­te. Pray for me on my wed­ding night."
I la­id my hands on her sho­ul­ders and sa­id: "Don't be af­ra­id. If you ha­ve do­ne so­met­hing which is not right, re­mem­ber that he has too ... much wor­se, I ima­gi­ne."
"You are a com­fort. I ho­pe we me­et aga­in." Then I left the Rue du Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int-Ho­no­re and Pa­ris, which I had grown to lo­ve.
It was la­te af­ter­no­on when I to­ok the tra­in to Ro­u­en. -‹Ax^›‹^› 1 ar­ri­ved in Ro­u­en in go­od ti­me and the­re had to chan­ge to a branch li­ne which wo­uld ta­ke me to Cen­te­vil­le.
As I step­ped off the tra­in I was gre­eted by a man in the Cen­te­vil­le li­very. He sa­id: "It is Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son, I be­li­eve."
"That is so."
"There has be­en so­me tro­ub­le on the branch li­ne and the­re will be no mo­re tra­ins thro­ugh to­night. I ha­ve be­en sent from the cha­te­au to dri­ve you the­re. Ha­ve you the port­ra­it?"
I told him I had.
"That is go­od. If you will fol­low me I will ta­ke you to the car­ri­age."
I did so, and as I step­ped in­to the car­ri­age I won­de­red when I was go­ing to stop fe­eling that qu­iver of alarm every ti­me I got in­to a ve­hic­le of any sort.
It was fo­olish to fe­el this now. I was on my way to Cen­te­vil­le and sin­ce the­re we­re no tra­ins that night it was very tho­ught­ful of them to ha­ve sent the car­ri­age.
We dro­ve qu­ickly thro­ugh the stre­ets of the town and ca­me out in­to the open co­untry. It was just be­gin­ning to get dark.
"Is it far to the cha­te­au?" I as­ked.
"It's a fa­ir dri­ve, Ma­de­mo­isel­le. We co­uld be the­re in just over an ho­ur. The ro­ads aren't very go­od tho­ugh. It's all that ra­in we've be­en ha­ving."
"Do they of­ten ha­ve mis­haps on the ra­il­way li­ne?"
"On the branch one now and then. They're not li­ke the ma­in li­nes from " No, I sup­po­se not. "
We had be­en dri­ving for abo­ut half an ho­ur when the car­ri­age stop­ped with a jerk. The dri­ver got down and sur­ve­yed it. I pe­ered thro­ugh the glass but co­uld not see very much. The­re wo­uld be a half mo­on la­ter but it had not yet put in an ap­pe­aran­ce, and it was not dark eno­ugh to see the stars.
The dri­ver ca­me ro­und to the win­dow lo­oking dis­ma­yed.
"We're stuck in a rut," he sa­id.
"I don't li­ke the lo­ok of the whe­el."
"Where are we?"
"Oh. I know the pla­ce well. We're abo­ut fi­ve mi­les from the cha­te­au."
"Five mi­les. That's not so very far."
"There's a bit of fo­rest over the­re ... hun­ting pla­ce. The­re's a lod­ge too. You'll be com­for­tab­le eno­ugh. I rec­kon you co­uld wa­it the­re whi­le I get the whe­elw­right."
"We are ne­ar a vil­la­ge then?"
"Not far. I know this pla­ce li­ke the back of my hand. Not­hing to fret abo­ut."
I tho­ught: Anot­her mis­hap! And in anot­her car­ri­age! It se­ems that car­ri­ages and I do not get along very well to­get­her.
"If you wo­uld li­ke to get out, Ma­de­mo­isel­le, I'll ta­ke you in­to the lod­ge. Then I can get a mes­sa­ge down to the cast­le. I rec­kon the best thing is for them to send up anot­her car­ri­age. Yes, that wo­uld be best. Shall I gi­ve you a hand, Ma­de­mo­isel­le?"
He hel­ped me down. I to­ok the mi­ni­atu­re with me. I had no in­ten­ti­on of lo­sing sight of that. We wal­ked ac­ross the ro­ad and I co­uld see the fo­rest he had men­ti­oned; and yes, the­re was a ho­use among the tre­es. I saw a light in one of the win­dows.
The dri­ver knoc­ked on the do­or, which was ope­ned im­me­di­ately by a plump wo­man hol­ding a cand­le.
"Mon Di­e­uf she cri­ed.
"Is it you then, Jac­qu­es Pe­tit?"
"Yes, Mart­he, it's only old Jac­qu­es. I've got the yo­ung lady ar­tist he­re. The­re's be­en a mis­hap with the car­ri­age. I don't trust that whe­el and don't fancy go­ing on with it. I tho­ught at first of get­ting the whe­elw­right but per­haps I'd bet­ter le­ave it till mor­ning. If you lo­ok af­ter the yo­ung lady, I'll ta­ke one of the hor­ses and get down to the cha­te­au. Then they can send for her."
"Well, bring the lady in. Don't le­ave her out the­re. What will she be thin­king of us."
She was a cosy-lo­oking wo­man, lar­ge-hip­ped and lar­ge- bus­ted, dres­sed in black with pi­eces of jet shi­ning on her bo­di­ce. Her gre­ying ha­ir was drawn off her fa­ce and en­ded in a si­ze­ab­le knot at the na­pe ot­her neck.
"Come along in," she cri­ed.
"My go­od­ness, you wo­uld ha­ve tho­ught Jac­qu­es Pe­tit wo­uld ha­ve lo­oked to his whe­els be­fo­re he set out. It's not the first ti­me that sort of thing has hap­pe­ned, I can tell you.
Are you cold? "
"No, not at all thank you."
"I ke­ep a bit of a fi­re in the eve­nings. It's cosy."
There was a pot on the fi­re and so­met­hing sa­vo­ury sim­me­ring in it.
"You'd bet­ter ma­ke yo­ur­self cosy. It'll ta­ke him the bet­ter part of an ho­ur to get the­re. Then he's got to see abo­ut a car­ri­age."
"It was for­tu­na­te that it hap­pe­ned he­re," I sa­id.
"It was in­de­ed. I was just abo­ut to ha­ve a bi­te to eat. Will you jo­in me? I'm Mart­he Bo­uret. We've kept this lod­ge for ye­ars. It's not used much now, but they used to do a bit of hun­ting in the old days. I re­mem­ber the old Ba­ron when he ca­me he­re. But now ... well, it's very ne­ar the cast­le and they wo­uldn't want to stay the night he­re, be­ing only fi­ve mi­les or so away. The Ba­ron used it when he was a boy, tho­ugh. He li­ked to do that. Used to ha­ve his yo­ung fri­ends he­re. I re­mem­ber them days. Not much to of­fer you, I'm af­ra­id. Just the pot aufeu." She nod­ded to­wards the pot on the fi­re.
"Not as if I had be­en ex­pec­ting vi­si­tors ... but the­re's so­me bre­ad and so­me go­od che­ese and a drop of wi­ne. It's cast­le wi­ne and I can re­com­mend that."
"Thank you," I sa­id.
"You're very kind."
"Well, by the lo­ok of it it will be so­me ti­me be­fo­re you get anyt­hing to eat at the cast­le. I'll just set a cloth on the tab­le."
"Do you li­ve he­re all by yo­ur­self?"
"Just now I'm he­re by myself. It's my job to ke­ep the pla­ce in or­der.
This is my lit­tle cot­ta­ge part. It jo­ins on the lod­ge re­al­ly. I ha­ve girls in to help me. We ma­na­ge. "
"I see."
"Is that the pic­tu­re?"
"Yes."
"Shall I put it out of harm's way. I he­ard the Ba­ron is very eager to see it."
"Yes. That is why I ha­ve bro­ught it myself. I am an­xi­o­us to know what he thinks of it."
"I'll put it he­re on this tab­le. Wo­uldn't do to get the stew on it, wo­uld it? Then you'd ha­ve to do yo­ur work all over aga­in."
"It's well wrap­ped up," I told her.
"Shall I ta­ke yo­ur clo­ak or do you want to ke­ep it on?"
"Thanks. I'll ta­ke it off. It's very warm in he­re."
She to­ok my clo­ak and hung it in a cup­bo­ard. Then she ope­ned a dra­wer and to­ok out a whi­te cloth, which she put on the tab­le. I was rat­her hungry and the stew smelt ap­pe­ti­zing. She to­ok pla­tes to the fi­re and lad­led it out.
There was a small cup­bo­ard in one cor­ner of the ro­om. It was abo­ut wa­ist high and had a flat top which co­uld be used as a shelf. She to­ok out a bot­tle of wi­ne and po­ured out a glass for me which she bro­ught to the tab­le.
"You'll find it go­od. It was a go­od ye­ar. We had plenty of sun. A vin­ta­ge ye­ar. You'll enj­oy it."
She lo­oked at the bot­tle.
"Oh, I've gi­ven you the last. Ne­ver mind.
There's anot­her in the cup­bo­ard. She ope­ned anot­her bot­tle, po­ured out a glass for her­self and re­tur­ned to the tab­le.
She lif­ted hers to me.
"The very best of go­od for­tu­ne, Ma­de­mo­isel­le. I ho­pe yo­ur stay at the cha­te­au will be a happy one."
"Thank you," I rep­li­ed, 'and the best of go­od for­tu­ne to you. "
"My," she sa­id, "I fe­el ho­no­ured, I do, ha­ving a fa­mo­us ar­tist sit­ting at my tab­le."
"I can't tell you how gra­te­ful I am to you. I sho­uld ha­ve ha­ted to sit in the car­ri­age wa­iting for so­me­one to co­me and res­cue me."
"Good for­tu­ne for us both," she sa­id. She til­ted her glass and drank de­eply. I did the sa­me.
"Let me fill yo­ur glass."
"Thank you," I sa­id.
She to­ok it to the cup­bo­ard and re­fil­led it.
"Your/w( aufeu is de­li­ci­o­us," I told her.
"It's a fa­mily sec­ret."
"I wasn't go­ing to ask you to di­vul­ge it."
"You spe­ak go­od French Ma­de­mo­isel­le. That's a mercy or this wo­uld be a bit of a dumb show."
I la­ug­hed. I was be­gin­ning to fe­el a lit­tle sle­epy. It was the warmth of the fi­re . the fo­od . the wi­ne, I sup­po­sed. My eye­lids se­emed as tho­ugh they wo­uld press down. It was get­ting har­der to stay awa­ke.
"Feeling a bit drowsy are you?" I he­ard her vo­ice, which se­emed to co­me from so­me dis­tan­ce. I saw her fa­ce ne­ar my own. She was pe­ering at me, smi­ling.
"It's the wi­ne," she was sa­ying.
"Makes you sle­epy. I rec­kon you was ti­red af­ter that jo­ur­ney. Ne­ver mind ... a lit­tle nap ne­ver har­med any­body."
It was un­na­tu­ral. I had not be­en ti­red when I ar­ri­ved and it was not very la­te. I felt I was be­ing rat­her im­po­li­te af­ter she had ta­ken such pa­ins to en­ter­ta­in me.
Something was hap­pe­ning. The­re we­re vo­ices . I strug­gled with the over­po­we­ring drow­si­ness. So­mew­he­re at the back of my mind I tho­ught:
It's Jac­qu­es, back with the car­ri­age. He hasn't be­en long . or am I dre­aming?
Sleeping . sle­eping . the ro­om was fa­ding away. So­me­one was clo­se, lo­oking at me. So­me­one had ta­ken my hands. I felt myself lif­ted up.
Then I was comp­le­tely lost in dark­ness.
I awo­ke sud­denly. I did not know whe­re I was. I was in a stran­ge ro­om.
I was lying. na­ked . on a bed and my ha­ir was lo­ose.
I tri­ed to lift myself, but my he­ad was swim­ming and I felt dizzy. I was dre­aming and this was so­me sort of night­ma­re. Whe­re was I? I co­uld not re­mem­ber what co­uld ha­ve bro­ught me he­re.
I tri­ed aga­in. So­met­hing stir­red be­si­de me . so­me­one.
I ga­ve a lit­tle scre­am. My eyes had grown ac­cus­to­med now to the dark­ness. I saw a win­dow with bars ac­ross and my eyes co­uld ma­ke out the out­li­ne of pi­eces of fur­ni­tu­re.
I fo­ught off the diz­zi­ness and sat up.
Immediately hands we­re pul­ling me down, strong hands. A vo­ice sa­id:
"Kate, my be­a­uti­ful Ka­te ..." It was a vo­ice I knew. A vo­ice I had of­ten tho­ught of. It con­vin­ced me that I was in so­me sort of night­ma­re.
I ca­ught my bre­ath and as I did so he pul­led me down; he for­ced him­self down on me. I cri­ed out in dis­be­li­eving hor­ror. This co­uld not be hap­pe­ning to me. It was in­de­ed a night­ma­re. I must wa­ke up qu­ickly.
But I did not wa­ke up. I he­ard his tri­ump­hant la­ugh, and it was in truth the Ba­ron who was mi­su­sing me . and so­met­hing told me that he had al­ways in­ten­ded to do this and that at the back of my mind I had known it. fe­ared it . dre­aded it . and the sha­me of it half wan­ted it. I tri­ed to sho­ut out, but his mo­uth was over mi­ne pres­sing down on me. I was awa­re of the strength of him and was po­wer­less. I tri­ed to strug­gle but my limbs we­re le­aden. The­re was not­hing I co­uld do to re­sist him.
It was a shat­te­ring ex­pe­ri­en­ce. I felt as tho­ugh I we­re flo­ating abo­ve the Earth in­to a world which was qu­ite unk­nown to me. Stran­ge, hit­her­to und­re­amed of sen­sa­ti­ons to­ok pos­ses­si­on of me. I was not re­sis­ting any mo­re. I felt myself to be part of him . and I was figh­ting aga­inst a sen­se of ex­hi­la­ra­ti­on which thre­ate­ned to overw­helm me.
It was over al­most as so­on as it had be­gun. He drew away from me, but his lips we­re still on my fa­ce and he was kis­sing me al­most ten­derly.
"Dear Ka­te," he mur­mu­red.
I was strug­gling back to re­ality. I put out my hands and felt his body. I was trying to col­lect my tho­ughts as they elu­ded me. The he­avy drow­si­ness was still with me and I felt a gre­at ur­ge to clo­se my eyes and lie the­re trying to re­cap­tu­re that stran­ge sen­sa­ti­on which I had just ex­pe­ri­en­ced.
His arms we­re abo­ut me. They felt li­ke iron bands. I he­ard his vo­ice whis­pe­ring words which se­emed stran­ge co­ming from him.
"Kate ... swe­et Ka­te ... Oh Ka­te, how happy you ha­ve ma­de me."
I he­ard myself say: "This is a night­ma­re."
"It's a he­avenly dre­am," he cor­rec­ted me.
"Dreams ... dre­ams ..."
"Kate." His mo­uth was clo­se to my ear. He nib­bled it gently.
"Don't try to think now. You can't. You're still in a sta­te of blis­sful ple­asu­re. Don't try to wa­ke yo­ur­self out of it ... yet."
Now was the ti­me for me to wa­ke up, to find myself in bed at the cast­le, per­haps, sin­ce that had be­en whe­re I was re­mem­be­ring I had be­en go­ing. No do­ubt I had ar­ri­ved la­te and so ti­red that I had slept he­avily . and be­ing in the cast­le had had this stran­ge dre­am.
But the bars at the win­dows . They sug­ges­ted a pri­son. A pri­son!
I felt cons­ci­o­us­ness co­ming back. This was not a dre­am. I was still he­re. I was lying in a bed with the Ba­ron . and we we­re . lo­vers.
Lovers! What a tra­vesty of the word!
I tri­ed to sit up, but he held me down. I co­uld not but be awa­re of how strong he was and how puny I was in com­pa­ri­son.
"This can't be true," I sa­id.
His vo­ice was low and tri­ump­hant.
"But it is. Too la­te for reg­rets now, Ka­te. It has hap­pe­ned. You and I... as I knew as so­on as I set eyes on you it must be ... and it was go­ing to be."
I con­ti­nu­ed to strug­gle.
"Be still, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"You're be­wil­de­red. You are just re­ali­zing what has hap­pe­ned. Last night you be­ca­me my be­lo­ved mist­ress."
"This is... mad­ness."
"The ef­fect of the wi­ne is still with you. It will last so­me ti­me yet.
It had to be, Ka­te. It was the only way. Now if I had ap­pe­ared sud­denly and sa­id "I want you, Ka­te. My de­si­re for you is so overw­hel­ming that it must be sa­tis­fi­ed" what wo­uld you ha­ve sa­id?
You wo­uld ha­ve la­ug­hed me to scorn even tho­ugh so­mew­he­re at the back of yo­ur mind was the tho­ught: How I sho­uld li­ke to gi­ve myself up to the ple­asu­re he can pro­vi­de. He is the only one. I want to be ta­ken by him as his an­ces­tors to­ok wo­men when they ra­ided the co­ast. "
My mind was cle­aring with every pas­sing mo­ment. I mur­mu­red: "I was with that wo­man ..."
"My go­od ser­vant."
"The car­ri­age had bro­ken down ..."
"It was all ar­ran­ged, dar­ling. I'm sorry it had to be li­ke that. If you had co­me wil­lingly ... but you ne­ver wo­uld. Yo­ur stern upb­rin­ging wo­uld ha­ve sup­pres­sed yo­ur na­tu­ral ins­tincts and you wo­uld ha­ve con­vin­ced yo­ur­self that they did not exist."
"I can't ..."
"Don't try. Lie still. Oh Ka­te, it was won­der­ful. You are mag­ni­fi­cent.
You're a wo­man as well as an ar­tist. I ad­mi­re you so much, Ka­te. "
Through my be­fug­ged sen­sa­ti­ons ca­me the ap­pal­ling re­ali­za­ti­on of what had hap­pe­ned. He had plan­ned it and I had be­en the vic­tim of. ra­pe.
I, Ka­te Col­li­son, had be­en ra­ped by the man I most de­tes­ted . this ar­ro­gant Ba­ron who tho­ught he had only to bec­kon to a wo­man to ma­ke her co­me run­ning. He fol­lo­wed the cus­toms of his ma­ra­uding an­ces­tors who had li­ved by ra­pe and pil­la­ge. And I. had be­en his vic­tim. I co­uld not be­li­eve it. even now. "
I sa­id: "Let me get out of he­re."
"My de­arest Ka­te, you will go at my ple­asu­re."
"At yo­ur ple­asu­re! You are a mons­ter."
"I know," he ag­re­ed.
"But in yo­ur he­art you rat­her li­ke this mons­ter, Ka­te. I will ha­ve you re­cog­ni­zed as a gre­at ar­tist. Just think what I ha­ve do­ne for you al­re­ady."
"I can think of not­hing but what you ha­ve just do­ne to me."
"Proud Ka­te, ta­ken in a drun­ken stu­por."
"That wi­ne was drug­ged. That wo­man ..."
"Don't bla­me her. She was obe­ying or­ders."
"A sort of pan­der..."
"Hardly an apt desc­rip­ti­on. What is do­ne is do­ne, Ka­te. You are a wo­man now. You and I ha­ve exp­lo­red the re­alms of de­light to­get­her ..
"
"Of deg­ra­da­ti­on!" I sa­id.
"You are cyni­cal. You are la­ug­hing at me.
That is what I wo­uld ex­pect of you. "
"Do you ha­te me still?"
"A tho­usand ti­mes mo­re than I ever did."
"Perhaps whi­le you are he­re I can ma­ke you chan­ge yo­ur mind."
"The mo­re ti­me I spent with you, the mo­re I sho­uld ha­te you. What do you me­an ... whi­le I am he­re?"
"You are de­ta­ined ... on my ba­ro­ni­al ple­asu­re."
"You can't me­an you wo­uld ke­ep me he­re."
He nod­ded.
"I co­uld," he sa­id.
"For what pur­po­se?"
"I tho­ught I had de­monst­ra­ted that."
"You've go­ne mad."
"Mad with de­si­re for you."
I tri­ed to ri­se but he was still hol­ding me down, and when I lif­ted my he­ad I felt dizzy.
"What is yo­ur pur­po­se?" I de­man­ded.
"First to turn a rat­her ha­ughty self-pos­ses­sed yo­ung lady in­to a warm and pas­si­ona­te wo­man."
"I will ne­ver fe­el anyt­hing but hat­red and con­tempt for you. And you say ... first..."
"There is so­met­hing el­se."
"Well?"
"I think we will dis­cuss it la­ter when you are fe­eling a lit­tle ref­res­hed."
"I want to know now."
"My de­ar Ka­te, it is I who ma­ke the ru­les he­re. Ha­ven't you le­ar­ned that yet?"
"What am I sup­po­sed to be ... a sort of sla­ve?"
"A very fa­vo­ured sla­ve."
I was si­lent, still trying to con­vin­ce myself that I was not dre­aming.
His vo­ice was gent­le in my ear.
"Try to be calm, Ka­te. Ac­cept this.
You and I ha­ve be­en lo­vers all thro­ugh this night. "
"Lovers! You are not a lo­ver of mi­ne and ne­ver will be."
"Well, just say that last night you be­ca­me my mist­ress. That's rat­her im­por­tant."
I felt we­ak sud­denly and very frigh­te­ned. It se­emed that my li­fe had ta­ken an ab­rupt turn in­to an en­ti­rely dif­fe­rent world.
THE DE­MON ai "Sle­ep, de­ar Ka­te," he sa­id so­ot­hingly and he gat­he­red me up in his arms as tho­ugh I we­re a baby.
I must ha­ve slept, for when I awo­ke it was mor­ning. My he­ad had cle­ared and I sat up in bed and lo­oked abo­ut me. I was alo­ne. I re­ali­zed that I was na­ked and when I saw the bars ac­ross the win­dows, the monst­ro­us hap­pe­nings of the pre­vi­o­us night ca­me flo­oding back to me.
I lo­oked abo­ut the ro­om. It was li­ke a part of the cast­le- lar­ge, with a high va­ul­ted ro­of sup­por­ted by strong sto­ne pil­lars. The­re was a gre­at fi­rep­la­ce and the em­bers the­re sho­wed that the­re had be­en a fi­re last night. The bed was lar­ge and had vel­vet cur­ta­ins abo­ut it and the­re we­re car­pets on the flo­or. In spi­te of this it was li­ke a me­di­eval strong­hold.
I had un­der­go­ne a chan­ge. I felt bru­ised and unc­le­an. I had to fa­ce the truth. He had bro­ught me up he­re; he had ta­ken off my clot­hes, put me in­to this bed and com­mit­ted ra­pe.
I put my hands over my fa­ce as the hot flush spre­ad the­re. Not­hing wo­uld ever be the sa­me aga­in. Sin­ce I had co­me to Fran­ce everyt­hing had chan­ged. The cosy world of­Far­ring- don was slip­ping away from me and I had be­en plun­ged in­to int­ri­gue . and ra­pe . the sort of thing that had hap­pe­ned cen­tu­ri­es ago.
And the­re was one man who was res­pon­sib­le for this. I co­uld not get his fa­ce out of my mind. I re­ali­zed I had be­en se­e­ing it ever sin­ce I had left the cast­le. I had se­en it in the gar­goy­les of Not­re Da­me. I had se­en it in my dre­ams. I won­de­red bri­efly if he had so­me su­per­na­tu­ral po­wer- a gift pas­sed on from tho­se pi­ra­te fo­re­be­ars.
I had to be calm. I had to con­si­der the po­si­ti­on in which I fo­und myself. I think I had al­ways known that he had de­si­red me. The­re was so­met­hing in the way he had lo­oked at me right from the be­gin­ning. I sho­uld ha­ve be­en war­ned, for when he de­si­red a wo­man he tho­ught he had the right to ta­ke her, whet­her she was wil­ling or not. That was what the ma­ra­uding Nor­mans had do­ne, and he li­ved up to the old tra­di­ti­ons.
I sho­uld ne­ver fe­el the sa­me aga­in. I sho­uld ne­ver fe­el cle­an. He had de­fi­led me and glo­ri­ed in it. He tho­ught that be­ca­use he had hu­mi­li­ated me, he had ma­de me his sla­ve.
I had to get out of he­re qu­ickly. Then I wo­uld think abo­ut re­ven­ge.
Nowadays no man sho­uld be al­lo­wed to act as he had do­ne. It was all very well to ma­ke lo­ve to a wo­man if she con­sen­ted. But to sna­re a vir­tu­o­us wo­man and drug her and then ta­ke ad­van­ta­ge of the si­tu­ati­on, that was the way co­wards and de­mons wor­ked.
My hat­red was so in­ten­se that I was sha­king. I must get out of he­re.
That was the first thing. I wo­uld go down to the wo­man who had gi­ven me the wi­ne. I wo­uld tell her that I was go­ing to the po­li­ce.
Could I? How? I ima­gi­ned he cont­rol­led most things ro­und he­re. He wo­uld say: "She spent the night with me wil­lingly ..." For he was ca­pab­le of anyt­hing. Li­es wo­uld be se­cond na­tu­re to him.
I wo­uld dress im­me­di­ately.
I step­ped out of bed. I lo­oked at the pil­low still in­den­ted whe­re his he­ad had be­en. I punc­hed it in sud­den fury and was then as­ha­med of my chil­dish ges­tu­re. It was an act of pe­tu­lant folly and in spi­te of what hap­pe­ned I pri­ded myself on be­ing a sen­sib­le wo­man.
I had be­en bet­ra­yed. I had be­en ra­ped. My at­tac­ker had be­en the one man in the world whom I ha­ted most. But it was do­ne. I had be­en vi­ola­ted. My body . my mind . my fre­edom to act had be­en ta­ken in­to his cont­rol. I had be­en for­ced.
But now . the first thing was to get out of this pla­ce.
I lo­oked for my clot­hes. I co­uld not find them. They we­re all go­ne . my sho­es . everyt­hing.
There was a co­un­ter­pa­ne on the bed and I wrap­ped this ro­und me. Then I set out to exp­lo­re. To my mo­men­tary de­light the do­or was not loc­ked.
I was on a kind of lan­ding and be­fo­re me was a small flight of sto­ne sta­irs the usu­al spi­ral kind cut out of the wall, wi­de at one end and nar­ro­wing by the post. I saw that the­re was one ro­om in which the­re we­re to­ilet fa­ci­li­ti­es. I ca­ught sight of a mir­ror on a tab­le and a wash ba­sin and ewer. The­re we­re cup­bo­ards. I tho­ught my clot­hes might be in one of them, so I ope­ned them all. The­re we­re to­wels and such things, but no clot­hes.
I saw that the­re was anot­her ro­om. In this we­re a tab­le and cha­irs.
It might ha­ve be­en a di­ning-ro­om. But the­re we­re no clot­hes.
Cautiously I des­cen­ded the sta­irs. A big do­or was fa­cing me. It had iron studs in it and lo­oked very strong. I tri­ed to open it. It was loc­ked.
I lo­oked abo­ut me. Bar­red win­dows everyw­he­re, a he­avy loc­ked do­or, and no clot­hes. I was in­de­ed the pri­so­ner of the Ba­ron's ple­asu­re.
I was sud­denly fran­tic. My re­so­lu­ti­ons to be calm slip­ped away from me.
How long wo­uld he ke­ep me he­re? Wo­uld he co­me aga­in? I wo­uld re­fu­se to drink mo­re wi­ne. Per­haps he wo­uld not ca­re. He co­uld easily over­po­wer me. I had be­en awa­re of his im­men­se strength last night.
Locked up he­re . wit­hin the­se sto­ne walls with bar­red win­dows I sho­uld not ha­ve a chan­ce.
I star­ted to ham­mer on the do­or. Then I sat down on the sto­ne step and ga­ve way to my des­pa­ir.
I he­ard a vo­ice.
"All right. All right. I'm co­ming!"
I was alert and kept my eyes on the do­or. If it was the wo­man I had se­en last night, I might be ab­le to get past her. I might find my clot­hes. My bag­ga­ge might be so­mew­he­re he­re. The man-Jac­qu­es Pe­tit -he had bro­ught it in from the car­ri­age last night If I co­uld get dres­sed I co­uld es­ca­pe. This pla­ce was on the ro­ad- fi­ve mi­les or so from Cen­te
R
ville. I had an idea of the di­rec­ti­on. I co­uld only think of es­ca­pe.
I he­ard a key tur­ning in the lock. The do­or cre­aked open. I was wa­iting, ten­se.
The wo­man was car­rying a cop­per jug of hot wa­ter. She ca­me in and set it down. It was my chan­ce and I to­ok it. I das­hed to the do­or. A man was stan­ding the­re. He was tall and his arms we­re fol­ded ac­ross his chest. He sho­ok his he­ad at me. I tri­ed to elu­de him, but he ca­ught me and lif­ting me up as tho­ugh I we­re a child, he put me back be­hind the do­or.
Then he shut it.
"No use," sa­id the wo­man, lo­oking as cosy as she had on the pre­vi­o­us night.
"There are gu­ards."
I cri­ed out: "What is this? So­me me­di­eval ga­me?"
"Baron's or­ders," she ans­we­red.
She lif­ted the jug and went up the sta­irs to the ro­om whe­re I had se­en the ba­sin and ewer.
"Now," she sa­id briskly," I bro­ught the wa­ter first be­ca­use I tho­ught you'd be one of them la­di­es as li­ke to wash first. Now I'll bring yo­ur pe­tit de­j­e­uner. You'll find everyt­hing you want. I'll bring you so­met­hing to put on. That bed co­ver­let is not ide­al, is it? And yo­ur po­or fe­et? The­se sto­ne flo­ors can be that cold don't I know it."
I fol­lo­wed her up and when she had put down the jug I ca­ught her arm.
"You ga­ve me drug­ged wi­ne last night," I sa­id.
She lif­ted her sho­ul­ders.
"You de­ce­ived me ... wic­kedly."
"It was or­ders," she sa­id.
"Baron's or­ders," I re­pe­ated.
She was si­lent.
I went on: "Do­es he ma­ke a ha­bit of this sort of thing?"
"You ne­ver know what he's go­ing to do. He's had la­di­es he­re be­fo­re .
Most of them ha­ve co­me wil­lingly, if you know what I me­an." '51 "And the un­wil­ling ones ha­ve to be drug­ged?"
"Well, we've not had any of tho­se be­fo­re... only them that had to be per­su­aded, li­ke."
"It's li­ke fin­ding one­self back fi­ve hund­red ye­ars. Bring my clot­hes . my own clot­hes."
She shrug­ged her sho­ul­ders aga­in.
I let her go and went in­to the to­ilet ro­om. At le­ast I sho­uld fe­el a lit­tle bet­ter if I was­hed. I felt emo­ti­onal as I saw myself in the mir­ror. The­re we­re bru­ises on my body and I was glad of my long ha­ir which co­ve­red me li­ke a clo­ak. I felt bet­ter when I had tho­ro­ughly was­hed and by that ti­me the wo­man ca­me back with hot cof­fee and rolls with but­ter and pre­ser­ves.
I re­sis­ted the im­pul­se to run to the sta­irs be­ca­use I knew that was fu­ti­le.
She to­ok the tray in­to the ro­om which I had tho­ught was a di­ning-ro­om and set it on the tab­le. Then she was go­ne but in a few mo­ments she was back car­rying a long fur-trim­med ro­be. It was gre­enish with a thre­ad of gold in it and the fur ed­ged the hem as well as the long wi­de sle­eves. She car­ri­ed three pa­irs of sa­tin san­dals.
"I wasn't su­re of the si­ze," she sa­id com­for­tably.
"Oh my God, do­es he ha­ve vic­tims of va­ri­o­us si­zes?"
"It's for you to cho­ose, Ma­de­mo­isel­le."
Clothes we­re ne­ces­sary for me if I was to plan so­me ac­ti­on so I se­lec­ted a pa­ir of the san­dals and to­ok the ro­be from her.
When she had go­ne I put it on. It was soft and sil­ken and very com­for­tab­le. It was ama­zing what a dif­fe­ren­ce was­hing and put­ting on clot­hes ma­de to me.
I was surp­ri­sed that I co­uld eat anyt­hing, but I did and the cof­fee was go­od. As So­on as I had drunk it I tho­ught I had be­en a fo­ol to to­uch it. How co­uld I know whet­her anyt­hing was drug­ged or not.
But why sho­uld he want to drug me now; he had do­ne his evil work.
That re­min­ded me af­resh and I felt the bit­ter hu­mi­li­ati­on cre­eping over me. I wis­hed that I co­uld ha­ve re­mem­be­red, and then I was glad that I had not. The­re had be­en mo­ments of cons­ci­o­us­ness and la­ter when I had be­en co­ming out of my drow­si­ness he had ta­ken me . al­most ca­su­al­ly.
I ha­ted him. How I ha­ted him! My fat­her used to say, "Envy is a ne­ga­ti­ve emo­ti­on. It hurts the one who fe­els it mo­re than the one aga­inst whom it is di­rec­ted." So with hat­red.
Think const­ruc­ti­vely, I told myself. How am I go­ing to get out of this pla­ce? I must ma­ke a plan.
I went in­to the to­ilet ro­om to lo­ok at myself in my ro­be and san­dals.
I had be­en trans­for­med. I had ne­ver worn anyt­hing li­ke this be­fo­re. I lo­oked al­most be­a­uti­ful with my ha­ir han­ging lo­ose and the gre­en and gold of the fur­red ro­be did so­met­hing to my eyes. They lo­oked big­ger and brigh­ter. I am dif­fe­rent, I tho­ught. He has ma­de me dif­fe­rent.
There was a lit­tle tab­le in the ro­om I cal­led the di­ning ro­om. It was by the win­dow and on it we­re se­ve­ral pen­cils with a sketc­hing-pad.
He had put that the­re for me, I tho­ught.
I went to it and sa­va­gely drew his fa­ce. I sketc­hed in that part of Not­re Da­me whe­re I had se­en the most gro­tes­que of all the gar­goy­les -the one which le­ans on the pa­ra­pet by the do­or at the top of the steps and se­ems to be ga­zing ma­le­vo­lently to­wards the In­va­li­des.
I went on sketc­hing. It was won­der­ful how it so­ot­hed me.
The wo­man ca­me back and cle­aned the pla­ce; she ma­de the bed and re­mo­ved the as­hes from the fi­rep­la­ce, la­ying anot­her.
I wan­ted to scre­am out be­ca­use it all se­emed so nor­mal. It vas as tho­ugh I we­re a vi­si­tor in so­me fri­end's ho­use.
She sa­id: "I'll bring up yo­ur de­j­e­uner at half past twel­ve if that su­its."
I sa­id: "How am I to know it has not be­en tre­ated with so­met­hing which wo­uld not be go­od for me?"
"I've had no or­ders," she sa­id se­ri­o­usly.
I wan­ted to la­ugh in a rat­her hyste­ri­cal way, I knew, so I sup­pres­sed it.
She bro­ught in the fo­od. It was a de­li­ci­o­us so­up with me­at and sa­lad and fru­it.
Oddly eno­ugh, I co­uld eat it, and in due co­ur­se she ca­me to col­lect the tray.
"I sho­uld ha­ve a lit­tle rest," she sa­id.
"You ne­ed it ... to sle­ep off what we had to gi­ve you. You'll be ti­red still."
It's mad, I tho­ught. Am I re­al­ly in this in­cong­ru­o­us po­si­ti­on? "
I obe­yed her tho­ugh and lay on the bed. I did sle­ep long and de­ep; and when I awo­ke my first tho­ught was: He will co­me aga­in. Of co­ur­se he will co­me aga­in. Ot­her­wi­se, why sho­uld they hold me he­re.
At dusk it was the wo­man who ca­me. She bro­ught mo­re wa­ter for me to wash. I did so. I he­ard her in the di­ning-ro­om and when I went to see what she was do­ing for she se­emed a long ti­me- I fo­und her set­ting the tab­le for two. The­re was a sil­ver can­de­lab­rum in the cent­re.
I tho­ught: Then I am ex­pec­ted to sup with him as tho­ugh all was well bet­we­en us.
I wo­uld ne­ver do that. I wo­uld re­fu­se to sit down with him.
I went back to the bed­ro­om and sto­od by the bar­red win­dow. I tri­ed to sha­ke the bars, but they we­re firmly em­bed­ded in the sto­ne. I won­de­red then how many had sto­od at that win­dow in des­pe­ra­ti­on. I won­de­red what tor­tu­res had be­en inf­lic­ted on them in this pla­ce.
Who wo­uld ha­ve be­li­eved this co­uld hap­pen in the­se days? How easily pe­op­le slip­ped back in­to sa­va­gery. That man did not ha­ve to slip back.
He had ne­ver be­en anyt­hing el­se but a sa­va­ge.
There was a mo­ve­ment be­hind me and he was the­re, smi­ling at me.
That re­min­ded me af­resh and I felt the bit­ter hu­mi­li­ati­on cre­eping over me. I wis­hed that I co­uld ha­ve re­mem­be­red, and then I was glad that I had not. The­re had be­en mo­ments of cons­ci­o­us­ness and la­ter when I had be­en co­ming out of my drow­si­ness he had ta­ken me . al­most ca­su­al­ly. , I ha­ted him. How I ha­ted him! My fat­her used to say, "Envy is a ne­ga­ti­ve emo­ti­on. It hurts the one who fe­els it mo­re than the one aga­inst whom it is di­rec­ted." So with hat­red.
Think const­ruc­ti­vely, I told myself. How am I go­ing to get out of this pla­ce? I must ma­ke a plan.
I went in­to the to­ilet ro­om to lo­ok at myself in my ro­be and san­dals.
I had be­en trans­for­med. I had ne­ver worn anyt­hing li­ke this be­fo­re. I lo­oked al­most be­a­uti­ful with my ha­ir han­ging lo­ose and the gre­en and gold of the fur­red ro­be did so­met­hing to my eyes. They lo­oked big­ger and brigh­ter. I am dif­fe­rent, I tho­ught. He has ma­de me dif­fe­rent.
There was a lit­tle tab­le in the ro­om I cal­led the di­ning ro­om. It was by the win­dow and on it we­re se­ve­ral pen­cils with a sketc­hing-pad.
He had put that the­re for me, I tho­ught.
I went to it and sa­va­gely drew his fa­ce. I sketc­hed in that part of Not­re Da­me whe­re I had se­en the most gro­tes­que of all the gar­goy­les -the one which le­ans on the pa­ra­pet by the do­or at the top of the steps and se­ems to be ga­zing ma­le­vo­lently to­wards the In­va­li­des.
I went on sketc­hing. It was won­der­ful how it so­ot­hed me.
The wo­man ca­me back and cle­aned the pla­ce; she ma­de the bed and re­mo­ved the as­hes from the fi­rep­la­ce, la­ying anot­her.
I wan­ted to scre­am out be­ca­use it all se­emed so nor­mal. It was as tho­ugh I we­re a vi­si­tor in so­me fri­end's ho­use.
She sa­id: "I'll bring up yo­ur de­j­e­uner at half past twel­ve if that su­its."
I sa­id: "How am I to know it has not be­en tre­ated with so­met­hing which wo­uld not be go­od for me?"
"I've had no or­ders," she sa­id se­ri­o­usly.
I wan­ted to la­ugh- in a rat­her hyste­ri­cal way, I knew, so I sup­pres­sed it.
She bro­ught in the fo­od. It was a de­li­ci­o­us so­up with me­at and sa­lad and fru­it.
Oddly eno­ugh, I co­uld eat it, and in due co­ur­se she ca­me to col­lect the tray.
"I sho­uld ha­ve a lit­tle rest," she sa­id.
"You ne­ed it ... to sle­ep off what we had to gi­ve you. You'll be ti­red still."
It's mad, I tho­ught. Am I re­al­ly in this in­cong­ru­o­us po­si­ti­on? "
I obe­yed her tho­ugh and lay on the bed. I did sle­ep long and de­ep; and when I awo­ke my first tho­ught was: He will co­me aga­in. Of co­ur­se he will co­me aga­in. Ot­her­wi­se, why sho­uld they hold me he­re.
At dusk it was the wo­man who ca­me. She bro­ught mo­re wa­ter for me to wash. I did so. I he­ard her in the di­ning-ro­om and when I went to see what she was do­ing- for she se­emed a long ti­me1 fo­und her set­ting the tab­le for two. The­re was a sil­ver can­de­lab­rum in the cent­re.
I tho­ught: Then I am ex­pec­ted to sup with him as tho­ugh all was well bet­we­en us.
I wo­uld ne­ver do that. I wo­uld re­fu­se to sit down with him.
I went back to the bed­ro­om and sto­od by the bar­red win­dow. I tri­ed to sha­ke the bars, but they we­re firmly em­bed­ded in the sto­ne. I won­de­red then how many had sto­od at that win­dow in des­pe­ra­ti­on. I won­de­red what tor­tu­res had be­en inf­lic­ted on them in this pla­ce.
Who wo­uld ha­ve be­li­eved this co­uld hap­pen in the­se days? How easily pe­op­le slip­ped back in­to sa­va­gery. That man did not ha­ve to slip back.
He had ne­ver be­en anyt­hing el­se but a sa­va­ge.
There was a mo­ve­ment be­hind me and he was the­re, smi­ling at me.
That re­min­ded me af­resh and I felt the bit­ter hu­mi­li­ati­on cre­eping over me. I wis­hed that I co­uld ha­ve re­mem­be­red, and then I was glad that I had not. The­re had be­en mo­ments of cons­ci­o­us­ness and la­ter when I had be­en co­ming out of my drow­si­ness he had ta­ken me . al­most ca­su­al­ly. ;
I ha­ted him. How I ha­ted him! My fat­her used to say, "Envy is a ne­ga­ti­ve emo­ti­on. It hurts the one who fe­els it mo­re than the one aga­inst whom it is di­rec­ted." So with hat­red.
Think const­ruc­ti­vely, I told myself. How am I go­ing to get out of this pla­ce? I must ma­ke a plan.
I went in­to the to­ilet ro­om to lo­ok at myself in my ro­be and san­dals.
I had be­en trans­for­med. I had ne­ver worn anyt­hing li­ke this be­fo­re. I lo­oked al­most be­a­uti­ful with my ha­ir han­ging lo­ose and the gre­en and gold of the fur­red ro­be did so­met­hing to my eyes. They lo­oked big­ger and brigh­ter. I am dif­fe­rent, I tho­ught. He has ma­de me dif­fe­rent.
There was a lit­tle tab­le in the ro­om I cal­led the di­ning ro­om. It was by the win­dow and on it we­re se­ve­ral pen­cils with a sketc­hing-pad.
He had put that the­re for me, I tho­ught.
I went to it and sa­va­gely drew his fa­ce. I sketc­hed in that part of Not­re Da­me whe­re I had se­en the most gro­tes­que of all the gar­goy­les the one which le­ans on the pa­ra­pet by the do­or at the top of the steps and se­ems to be ga­zing ma­le­vo­lently to­wards the In­va­li­des.
I went on sketc­hing. It was won­der­ful how it so­ot­hed me.
The wo­man ca­me back and cle­aned the pla­ce; she ma­de the bed and re­mo­ved the as­hes from the fi­rep­la­ce, la­ying anot­her.
I wan­ted to scre­am out be­ca­use it all se­emed so nor­mal. It was as tho­ugh I we­re a vi­si­tor in so­me fri­end's ho­use.
She sa­id: "I'll bring up yo­ur de­j­e­uner at half past twel­ve if that su­its."
I sa­id: "How am I to know it has not be­en tre­ated with so­met­hing which wo­uld not be go­od for me?"
"I've had no or­ders," she sa­id se­ri­o­usly.
I wan­ted to la­ugh in a rat­her hyste­ri­cal way, I knew, so I sup­pres­sed it.
She bro­ught in the fo­od. It was a de­li­ci­o­us so­up with me­at and sa­lad and fru­it.
Oddly eno­ugh, I co­uld eat it, and in due co­ur­se she ca­me to col­lect the tray.
"I sho­uld ha­ve a lit­tle rest," she sa­id.
"You ne­ed it ... to sle­ep off what we had to gi­ve you. You'll be ti­red still."
It's mad, I tho­ught. Am I re­al­ly in this in­cong­ru­o­us po­si­ti­on? "
I obe­yed her tho­ugh and lay on the bed. I did sle­ep long and de­ep; and when I awo­ke my first tho­ught was: He will co­me aga­in. Of co­ur­se he will co­me aga­in. Ot­her­wi­se, why sho­uld they hold me he­re.
At dusk it was the wo­man who ca­me. She bro­ught mo­re wa­ter for me to wash. I did so. I he­ard her in the di­ning-ro­om and when I went to see what she was do­ing- for she se­emed a long ti­me- I fo­und her set­ting the tab­le for two. The­re was a sil­ver can­de­lab­rum in the cent­re.
I tho­ught: Then I am ex­pec­ted to sup with him as tho­ugh all was well bet­we­en us.
I wo­uld ne­ver do that. I wo­uld re­fu­se to sit down with him.
I went back to the bed­ro­om and sto­od by the bar­red win­dow. I tri­ed to sha­ke the bars, but they we­re firmly em­bed­ded in the sto­ne. I won­de­red then how many had sto­od at that win­dow in des­pe­ra­ti­on. I won­de­red what tor­tu­res had be­en inf­lic­ted on them in this pla­ce.
Who wo­uld ha­ve be­li­eved this co­uld hap­pen in the­se days? How easily pe­op­le slip­ped back in­to sa­va­gery. That man did not ha­ve to slip back.
He had ne­ver be­en anyt­hing el­se but a sa­va­ge.
There was a mo­ve­ment be­hind me and he was the­re, smi­ling at me.
That re­min­ded me af­resh and I felt the bit­ter hu­mi­li­ati­on cre­eping over me. I wis­hed that I co­uld ha­ve re­mem­be­red, and then I was glad that I had not. The­re had be­en mo­ments of cons­ci­o­us­ness and la­ter when I had be­en co­ming out of my drow­si­ness he had ta­ken me . al­most ca­su­al­ly.
I ha­ted him. How I ha­ted him! My fat­her used to say, "Envy is a ne­ga­ti­ve emo­ti­on. It hurts the one who fe­els it mo­re than the one aga­inst whom it is di­rec­ted." So with hat­red.
Think const­ruc­ti­vely, I told myself. How am I go­ing to get out of this pla­ce? I must ma­ke a plan.
I went in­to the to­ilet ro­om to lo­ok at myself in my ro­be and san­dals.
I had be­en trans­for­med. I had ne­ver worn anyt­hing li­ke this be­fo­re. I lo­oked al­most be­a­uti­ful with my ha­ir han­ging lo­ose and the gre­en and gold of the fur­red ro­be did so­met­hing to my eyes. They lo­oked big­ger and brigh­ter. I am dif­fe­rent, I tho­ught. He has ma­de me dif­fe­rent.
There was a lit­tle tab­le in the ro­om I cal­led the di­ning ro­om. It was by the win­dow and on it we­re se­ve­ral pen­cils with a sketc­hing-pad.
He had put that the­re for me, I tho­ught.
I went to it and sa­va­gely drew his fa­ce. I sketc­hed in that part of Not­re Da­me whe­re I had se­en the most gro­tes­que of all the gar­goy­les -the one which le­ans on the pa­ra­pet by the do­or at the top of the steps and se­ems to be ga­zing ma­le­vo­lently to­wards the In­va­li­des.
I went on sketc­hing. It was won­der­ful how it so­ot­hed me.
The wo­man ca­me back and cle­aned the pla­ce; she ma­de the bed and re­mo­ved the as­hes from the fi­rep­la­ce, la­ying anot­her.
I wan­ted to scre­am out be­ca­use it all se­emed so nor­mal. It was as tho­ugh I we­re a vi­si­tor in so­me fri­end's ho­use.
She sa­id: "I'll bring up yo­ur de­j­e­uner at half past twel­ve if that su­its."
I sa­id: "How am I to know it has not be­en tre­ated with so­met­hing which wo­uld not be go­od for me?"
"I've had no or­ders," she sa­id se­ri­o­usly.
I wan­ted to la­ugh in a rat­her hyste­ri­cal way, I knew, so I sup­pres­sed it.
She bro­ught in the fo­od. It was a de­li­ci­o­us so­up with me­at and sa­lad and fru­it.
Oddly eno­ugh, I co­uld eat it, and in due co­ur­se she ca­me to col­lect the tray.
"I sho­uld ha­ve a lit­tle rest," she sa­id.
"You ne­ed it ... to sle­ep off what we had to gi­ve you. You'll be ti­red still."
It's mad, I tho­ught. Am I re­al­ly in this in­cong­ru­o­us po­si­ti­on? "
I obe­yed her tho­ugh and lay on the bed. I did sle­ep long and de­ep; and when I awo­ke my first tho­ught was: He will co­me aga­in. Of co­ur­se he will co­me aga­in. Ot­her­wi­se, why sho­uld they hold me he­re.
At dusk it was the wo­man who ca­me. She bro­ught mo­re wa­ter for me to wash. I did so. I he­ard her in the di­ning-ro­om and when I went to see what she was do­ing- for she se­emed a long ti­me- I fo­und her set­ting the tab­le for two. The­re was a sil­ver can­de­lab­rum in the cent­re.
I tho­ught: Then I am ex­pec­ted to sup with him as tho­ugh all was well bet­we­en us.
I wo­uld ne­ver do that. I wo­uld re­fu­se to sit down with him.
I went back to the bed­ro­om and sto­od by the bar­red win­dow. I tri­ed to sha­ke the bars, but they we­re firmly em­bed­ded in the sto­ne. I won­de­red then how many had sto­od at that win­dow in des­pe­ra­ti­on. I won­de­red what tor­tu­res had be­en inf­lic­ted on them in this pla­ce.
Who wo­uld ha­ve be­li­eved this co­uld hap­pen in the­se days? How easily pe­op­le slip­ped back in­to sa­va­gery. That man did not ha­ve to slip back.
He had ne­ver be­en anyt­hing el­se but a sa­va­ge.
There was a mo­ve­ment be­hind me and he was the­re, smi­ling at me.
He was dres­sed in a ro­be not un­li­ke my own. It was de­ep blue and, li­ke mi­ne, the sle­eves we­re ed­ged with fur, as was the hem.
"You co­uld ne­ver bre­ak tho­se," he sa­id.
"They we­re ma­de to withs­tand any ons­la­ught." He ca­me to­wards me. I tur­ned sharply away, but he ca­ught me firmly and tri­ed to kiss me. For a se­cond or so I elu­ded him, then he re­le­ased me but ca­ught me aga­in, ta­king my fa­ce in his two hands, fin­ding my mo­uth and hol­ding me in a hi­de­o­us emb­ra­ce.
Oh God, help me, I tho­ught, it's be­gin­ning aga­in.
He re­le­ased me, smi­ling.
"I trust the day has not be­en too mo­no­to­no­us wit­ho­ut me," he sa­id.
"Any day wo­uld be bet­ter for not ha­ving you in it," I re­tor­ted.
"Ungracious still! I had ho­ped that you, be­ing a re­aso­nab­le wo­man, wo­uld co­me to terms with the ines­ca­pab­le."
"If you ever think I wo­uld co­me to terms with you, you are mis­ta­ken."
"We ca­me to terms on­ce ... abo­ut the pic­tu­re, I me­an. By the way, I li­ke the one you bro­ught. A worthy Col­li­son."
I tur­ned back to the win­dow. I wan­ted to lo­ok anyw­he­re but in­to his fa­ce.
"I al­so li­ke the sketch."
"What sketch?"
"The one you did of me, of co­ur­se. It is so gra­tif­ying to know that even when I am not he­re I am in yo­ur tho­ughts. Am I re­al­ly as ter­rib­le as that? I re­cog­ni­ze the thing. I've of­ten se­en it. It's at the top of the steps, isn't it? It's re­cog­ni­zed as be­ing the most gro­tes­que and evil gar­goy­le in the who­le of Pa­ris."
"Yes, I know."
"And you ha­ve ma­de it my fa­ce. Mon Di­eu, Ka­te, you are a cle­ver ar­tist. It's un­do­ub­tedly that par­ti­cu­lar gar­goy­le and yet I'm the­re too. We are com­bi­ned."
"It rep­re­sents the for­ces of evil," I sa­id.
"I know what tho­se gar­goy­les me­an now. They we­re mo­del­led on evil men de­mons ... such as or­di­nary pe­op­le do not know exist. But they exis­ted when Not­re Da­me was bu­ilt and they exist to­day. At le­ast one of them do­es."
"True. But the­re is a lit­tle go­od in the worst of us. Did you know that?"
"I wo­uld find it hard to be­li­eve of you."
"You are ung­ra­te­ful. Who la­unc­hed you in­to the Pa­ris world of art?"
"You li­ked the pic­tu­re I had pa­in­ted and sa­id so. I don't think such an act will as­su­re you of a pla­ce in He­aven."
"I'm thin­king of this li­fe rat­her than the li­fe to co­me. I in­tend to enj­oy this one to the full."
"Which I be­li­eve you do ... at the ex­pen­se of ot­hers."
"Some ha­ve the go­od sen­se to want what I want."
"Some may ha­ve the gre­ater go­od sen­se to fight you."
"Which wo­uld be me­re folly if the odds we­re aga­inst them."
"You me­an ... as they are with me at this ti­me?"
"I fe­ar so, Ka­te. Will you be gent­le to­night? I know how you can be.
Will you for­get that you ha­ve to pre­tend you do not li­ke me? "
"It is im­pos­sib­le to for­get so­met­hing which is so bla­tantly true."
"You ha­te me as a per­son? Is that so? You des­pi­se everyt­hing I do. I ha­ve a cer­ta­in po­wer which al­lows me to get what I want now and then.
That you ha­te. I un­ders­tand it. But for­get it, Ka­te. Think of me only as yo­ur lo­ver. "
"You talk non­sen­se."
"No. I talk from a su­pe­ri­or know­led­ge of the emo­ti­ons."
"Please do not at­tempt to tell me what I fe­el."
"I ha­ve had gre­at ex­pe­ri­en­ce of wo­men."
"You spe­ak the truth the­re for on­ce."
"I know how you fe­el to­wards me. You ha­te me ... but ha­te and lo­ve can be very clo­se, Ka­te, in cer­ta­in mo­ments.
Passion is blind to the dif­fe­ren­ces of the mind. This is a ma­ting of bo­di­es. You and I we­re ma­de for each ot­her and that fi­er­ce re­luc­tan­ce of yo­urs . too fi­er­ce to be en­ti­rely na­tu­ral . - . just adds to the per­fec­ti­on. Do you un­ders­tand what I me­an? "
"No."
"Then I shall te­ach you."
"I wo­uld rat­her be ta­ught how to es­ca­pe from the pla­ce, to le­ave you and ne­ver see you aga­in."
"Much as I wo­uld li­ke to in­dul­ge you in all things, you ask too much."
"How long do you in­tend to ke­ep me he­re?"
"That de­pends. Wo­uld you li­ke a lit­tle wi­ne be­fo­re we sup?"
"Drugged wi­ne?"
"Oh no. That was only for con­ve­ni­en­ce in the first ins­tan­ce. Just whi­le we got over the er pre­li­mi­na­ri­es. It won't be ne­ces­sary now."
"Just or­di­nary com­mon ra­pe?"
"How outs­po­ken you are! You as­to­nish me. I sho­uld not ha­ve tho­ught a well-bro­ught-up lady wo­uld talk in such a way."
"Who wo­uld be­li­eve that a well-bro­ught-up lady wo­uld be in such a po­si­ti­on."
"Such things hap­pen a gre­at de­al mo­re fre­qu­ently than you wo­uld think.
One do­esn't he­ar of them. I will tell them to bring in the wi­ne. "
I watc­hed him go to the do­or, the blue ro­be swin­ging ro­und him.
He was in the di­ning-ro­om. If I co­uld get down the sta­irs, surp­ri­se the gu­ards . He was be­si­de me, smi­ling at me.
"You wo­uld ne­ver do it," he sa­id.
"And sup­po­se you got out? Ima­gi­ne be­ing on the ro­ad dres­sed li­ke that.
No mo­ney. Pe­op­le wo­uld think you we­re mad. "
"What ha­ve I ever do­ne to you that you sho­uld tre­at me li­ke this?"
"Bewitched me, for one thing. Co­me. They are brin­ging the wi­ne."
The wo­man ca­me in and set it on the tab­le. He went over to it and po­ured two glas­ses. One he han­ded to me.
"Drink it," he sa­id.
I to­ok the glass, but did not drink. He went to the tab­le and to­ok his, sip­ping it, lo­oking at me.
"I as­su­re you ... no drugs," he sa­id.
"Here. Gi­ve me yo­ur glass. You ta­ke mi­ne."
He to­ok mi­ne and thrust his in­to my hand. He drank qu­ickly.
"There, you see."
My thro­at felt dry and parc­hed. I felt I ne­eded so­me sti­mu­la­ti­on if I we­re to fa­ce what lay be­fo­re me. I sip­ped a lit­tle of the wi­ne.
"That's bet­ter," he sa­id.
"When my fat­her he­ars what has hap­pe­ned," I be­gan, and I he­si­ta­ted, won­de­ring what my fat­her wo­uld do.
"Yes," he promp­ted.
I was si­lent.
"Suppose I sa­id, " She ca­me ot­her own free will. She was so in­sis­tent that gal­lantry de­man­ded that I comply. "
"Would even you be ca­pab­le of such li­es?"
"You know that I wo­uld. Can you think of anyt­hing evil of which I sho­uld not be ca­pab­le? No, Ka­te. You can do not­hing, and wi­se wo­man that you are, you know this. The­re­fo­re you will, me­tap­ho­ri­cal­ly, shrug yo­ur sho­ul­ders and ma­ke the best of yo­ur fa­te."
"I do not gi­ve in so easily."
"I'm glad in a way. I wo­uldn't want you to be ot­her than the strong wo­man you are."
He dra­ined off the wi­ne.
"Come," he sa­id, ta­king my arm.
"I will con­duct you in to sup­per."
I re­fu­sed to ta­ke his arm and he se­ized me and put mi­ne thro­ugh his.
It was a ges­tu­re which imp­li­ed that even on the sligh­test mat­ter he was go­ing to ha­ve ab­so­lu­te obe­di­en­ce.
The ser­vants had go­ne. The tab­le lo­oked be­a­uti­ful with the eight ligh­ted cand­les of the can­de­lab­rum. He to­ok me to a cha­ir at the tab­le and pres­sed me down in­to it. Then he to­ok his pla­ce op­po­si­te me. The tab­le was not lar­ge, as it had ob­vi­o­usly be­en ma­de for two, so he was clo­se to me.
"There is so­up," he sa­id, lif­ting the lid of the tu­re­en, 'and I shall ser­ve you. The old wo­man is an ex­cel­lent co­ok and I am su­re you will enj­oy this. "
He han­ded me the pla­te but I tur­ned away, so he sig­hed and bro­ught it ro­und to me.
"Please don't be ti­re­so­me," he sa­id.
I sto­od up but he ig­no­red me and star­ted on the so­up.
"Pheasant, I think," he com­men­ted.
"Excellent. Whe­re are you go­ing? Are you so eager for bed?"
I sat down help­les­sly. The so­up did smell de­li­ci­o­us. He bro­ught me a glass of wi­ne.
"Undrugged, I pro­mi­se you," he sa­id aga­in.
I lo­oked at him de­fi­antly and star­ted on the so­up.
"That's bet­ter," he sa­id, lif­ting his glass.
"To us. Sus­pi­ci­o­us still?
I'll drink so­me of mi­ne and pass it to you. A sort of lo­ving cup. " 1 am go­ing to fight him, I tho­ught. I am go­ing to use all my strength to re­sist him. I'll eat . spa­ringly . but I must eat.
He drank and of­fe­red his glass to me. I did not want to drink much wi­ne, which wo­uld ma­ke me sle­epy. Yet on the ot­her hand, might it not be mo­re be­arab­le if I felt drowsy? Wo­uld I be mo­re re­sig­ned to ac­cep­ting what I knew had to co­me?
"Such de­ep tho­ughts," he sa­id.
"I can only gu­ess at them. Now a lit­tle of this ve­ni­son. I told them to ser­ve so­met­hing cold as I did not want them int­ru­ding on us whi­le we ate. I tho­ught you wo­uld pre­fer it that way. You see, Ka­te, how I con­si­der you. "
"I ha­ve no­ti­ced that," I sa­id with he­avy sar­casm.
"Of co­ur­se, as an ar­tist you are ob­ser­vant. You shall do anot­her mi­ni­atu­re of me. I so much enj­oyed our sit­tings. Yo­ur lit­tle de­ce­it was so amu­sing."
I was si­lent. He ate a gre­at de­al and I went on thin­king of the pos­si­bi­li­ti­es of es­ca­pe. Wo­uld that wo­man co­me in to re­mo­ve the dis­hes? If she left the do­or open . It was just ho­pe­less and I knew it. I felt fu­ri­o­usly angry and yet I co­uld not sup­press a cer­ta­in in­de­fi­nab­le ex­ci­te­ment.
"The ve­ni­son is go­od, is it not?" he sa­id.
"She has do­ne well, our old wo­man. You must not bla­me her ... or the co­ach­man. They we­re me­rely obe­ying or­ders."
"I know that."
"So you see they co­uld do no ot­her than what they did."
"All must do the will of the mighty Ba­ron."
"That is so. They are not to be bla­med. You must bla­me me, but gu­ile­less vir­gins who ce­ase to li­ve in that de­ba­tably happy sta­te can­not be en­ti­rely bla­me­less eit­her."
"Save yo­ur cru­de jests for tho­se who enj­oy them."
"I will," he rep­li­ed.
"But you are he­re, Ka­te, and how easily you wal­ked in­to the trap. You sho­uld ha­ve en­qu­ired abo­ut the tra­ins ... not just wal­ked in­to the web.
You we­re very qu­ick in Pa­ris."
I sta­red at him.
"Ah. I see I ha­ve ca­ught yo­ur at­ten­ti­on at last."
"Are you tal­king abo­ut that cab?"
"It was rat­her clumsy, wasn't it? Too in­vol­ved, too tricky. We had to get you ac­ross Pa­ris and you we­re too sharp for us. You we­re be­gin­ning to know the city too well and you re­ali­zed you we­re go­ing in the wrong di­rec­ti­on. You jum­ped out. That was a very dan­ge­ro­us thing to do.
Knowing the Pa­ris dri­vers, I won­der you we­re not run over. A fo­olish plan, re­al­ly. Not worthy of me. It just ca­me to me on the spur of the mo­ment and it ap­pe­aled to the sen­se of ad­ven­tu­re in me. I re­ali­zed al­most at on­ce that it was not very cle­ver and it owed a lot to chan­ce too. He'd be­en se­ve­ral days trying to pick you up. "
"Why did you do it?"
"I sho­uld ha­ve tho­ught that was ob­vi­o­us."
"So you we­re de­ter­mi­ned on ... ra­pe."
"Well, I was ho­ping to ac­hi­eve my ends to our mu­tu­al sa­tis­fac­ti­on."
"You are a mons­ter."
"Worthy to de­fa­ce the fa­ca­de of Not­re Da­me."
"I wo­uld not ha­ve be­li­eved that any man of to­day co­uld be­ha­ve as you ha­ve do­ne."
"Your know­led­ge of the world is not very gre­at."
"Perhaps I ha­ve li­ved my li­fe among ci­vi­li­zed pe­op­le un­til-' " Un­til now. I am su­re that is true. But alas, my de­ar Ka­te, you ha­ve be­co­me the vic­tim of the most dep­ra­ved. "
"Can I ap­pe­al to yo­ur sen­se of ho­no­ur ... yo­ur sen­se of de­cency ... to let me go?"
"There is no sen­se in ap­pe­aling to so­met­hing which do­es not exist. If I let you go now you can­not chan­ge yo­ur­self back in­to the wo­man you we­re be­fo­re last night."
"I want only to get away from you, to try to for­get I ever saw you .. ne­ver to see you aga­in."
"But I want just the op­po­si­te. I want you to stay he­re and re­mem­ber me fo­re­ver. The best lo­ver you ever had, for I shall be that, Ka­te."
I felt be­wil­de­red. I was li­ving aga­in that night­ma­re ri­de in the cab.
The Prin­ces­se sa­id it had be­en ar­ran­ged by the Ba­ron and she had be­en right abo­ut that, tho­ugh not for the re­ason she had sug­ges­ted. I was thin­king of that mo­ment when I had ope­ned the do­or and step­ped out al­most un­der the hor­se's no­se. And all so that he might sa­tisfy his lust.
I sto­od up sud­denly.
"Let me go," I cri­ed.
He was be­si­de me.
"Now, Ka­te," he sa­id, 'you know very well that I am not go­ing to let you go. That will co­me in go­od ti­me. Be pa­ti­ent. Our lit­tle ad­ven­tu­re is not yet over. "
He was abo­ut to se­ize me and I pic­ked up a kni­fe which was lying on the tab­le. I tur­ned the bla­de to­wards him.
He la­ug­hed.
"What!" he cri­ed.
"Would you kill me then? Oh, Ka­te! I ne­ver wo­uld ha­ve tho­ught that of you."
"Do not go­ad me too far," I cri­ed.
"If I kil­led you it wo­uld be no gre­at ca­la­mity for the world."
He ope­ned the ro­be he was we­aring and ba­red his chest.
"Come along, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"Right thro­ugh the he­art. It's abo­ut the­re, I think."
"You wo­uld be surp­ri­sed if I did."
"I sho­uld be in a con­di­ti­on whe­re it wo­uld not be pos­sib­le to show my surp­ri­se. What are you wa­iting for?"
"I sa­id don't go­ad me too far."
"That's exactly what I me­ant to do."
I lun­ged at him. He ca­ught my wrist and the kni­fe drop­ped to the flo­or.
"You see, Ka­te," he sa­id, 'you co­uldn't do it. "
"I co­uld. You pre­ven­ted me. If you we­re so su­re, why did you ma­ke me drop the kni­fe."
"To sa­ve yo­ur fe­elings. I'll tell you this: Well-bro­ught-up Eng­lish la­di­es do not stab the­ir lo­vers. They try to shat­ter them with words . with te­ars per­haps ... but not kni­ves."
"You ha­ve a gre­at de­al to le­arn abo­ut well-bro­ught-up Eng­lish la­di­es."
"I ha­ve ... and I am re­j­o­icing in the edu­ca­ti­on."
He had ta­ken me now and was hol­ding me aga­inst him.
"Kate," he sa­id softly, 'swe­et Ka­te, it is no use figh­ting. Sub­mit. I sho­uld li­ke to see you sub­mis­si­ve. I sho­uld li­ke you to put yo­ur arms abo­ut me and tell me that you are so happy that I bro­ught you he­re.
"
I drew myself away from him and be­ca­use he held me at

D.

L.

- As
R
arms' length, I be­gan be­ating that ba­re chest. He was la­ug­hing at me.
He knew as well as I did, that I sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve used that kni­fe aga­inst him. He was right. Pe­op­le who had be­en bro­ught up as I had did not do such things- no mat­ter what was do­ne to them.
He swept me up in his arms. I wrig­gled and tri­ed to bre­ak away, but he re­vel­led in ma­king me awa­re of his strength.
"You ma­ke me im­pa­ti­ent," he sa­id.
It was a long ti­me af­ter­wards be­fo­re I co­uld bring myself to think of that night. It had be­en dif­fe­rent from the pre­vi­o­us one. Then I had be­en in a drug­ged sta­te and only half awa­re. I fo­ught him . with all my strength I fo­ught him . kno­wing from the first mo­ment that I co­uld not win. But I ho­ped I sho­wed him my re­sent­ment, my lo­at­hing, my an­ger, my fury. At le­ast that of­fe­red so­me balm to my hu­mi­li­ated sen­ses.
But he did not ca­re. He li­ked that. Af­ter all, his very na­tu­re was that of a figh­ter.
Perhaps I re­ali­zed that I was pla­ying in­to his hands. I was gi­ving him what he wan­ted, be­ca­use, for a man of his na­tu­re, the gre­ater the re­sis­tan­ce, the gre­ater the tri­umph when vic­tory was won.
And vic­tory was ine­vi­tab­le. I might sco­re oc­ca­si­onal­ly in our ver­bal bat­tles but physi­cal­ly I was no match for him.
But I fo­ught. how I fo­ught! I whip­ped up my hat­red for him and so­mew­he­re at the back of my mind I re­ali­zed that I was figh­ting not only him but so­met­hing in myself. so­me ero­tic cu­ri­osity, so­me de­si­re for this conf­lict. so­me cra­ving for the ul­ti­ma­te sa­tis­fac­ti­on. I was van­qu­is­hed but I felt a cer­ta­in wild ex­hi­la­ra­ti­on in de­fe­at and the stron­ger my hat­red, the gre­ater my ex­ci­te­ment.
The bed was li­ke a bat­tle­fi­eld that night.
The next day pas­sed as the pre­vi­o­us one. I was be­gin­ning to fe­el I had spent a li­fe­ti­me in my pri­son. I won­de­red whet­her his obj­ect was to ke­ep me he­re un­til he had sub­du­ed my spi­rit to such an ex­tent that I me­ekly sub­mit­ted to him. If he ever did that, I felt, he wo­uld pro­bably be ti­red of the ad­ven­tu­re and let me go.
Sometimes still I tho­ught I was dre­aming. The­re was such an at­mosp­he­re of un­re­ality abo­ut the who­le mat­ter, and yet, kno­wing him, I sup­po­sed it was na­tu­ral eno­ugh.
He saw a wo­man; he tho­ught he wo­uld li­ke to se­du­ce her and he set abo­ut his pur­po­se. But he had known that the­re wo­uld ne­ver ha­ve be­en an easy sub­mis­si­on with me. It had to be for­ce, and so it had be­en.
The eve­ning sup­per was ser­ved as be­fo­re. I tho­ught he was a lit­tle dif­fe­rent. Was the­re a sha­de of reg­ret. ten­der­ness. Oh no. That was too strong a word. He co­uld ne­ver be ten­der. Ho­we­ver, the­re was a chan­ge in him and I won­de­red what it me­ant.
He sa­id rat­her so­berly as he po­ured the wi­ne: "Ka­te, it has be­en a won­der­ful ex­pe­ri­en­ce ... our be­ing to­get­her."
I was si­lent.
"Would you be­li­eve me if I told you I had ne­ver enj­oyed an as­so­ci­ati­on so much?"
"No," I sa­id.
"It's true. Why sho­uld I lie to you? The­re is no re­ason, is the­re?"
"I ha­ve not fo­und you re­aso­nab­le, so why sho­uld I ex­pect you to be so now?"
"You will le­arn that my ac­ti­ons ha­ve be­en well wit­hin the bo­unds of re­ason. I re­al­ly ac­ted with a very go­od re­ason for do­ing so."
"Which was the sa­tis­fac­ti­on of yo­ur lust, yo­ur de­si­re to exert yo­ur ma­le­vo­lent po­wers."
"Absolutely right. De­ar Ka­te, what an ob­ser­vant wo­man you are."
"It do­es not ne­ed a gre­at de­al of ob­ser­va­ti­on to as­sess a man's cha­rac­ter when his ac­ti­ons are tho­se of a bar­ba­ri­an."
Not all. "
"You are go­ing to re­mind me that you la­unc­hed me on my ca­re­er. I wish I had ne­ver he­ard of you. I wish I had ne­ver co­me to yo­ur cast­le and le­ar­ned that the­re are pe­op­le in the world who are not­hing mo­re than sa­va­ges."
"Such ti­ra­des are not very in­te­res­ting and the the­me of this one is be­co­ming so­mew­hat re­pe­ti­ti­o­us."
"It must be when everyt­hing I say to you has to tell you how much I lo­at­he and des­pi­se you."
"Do you know, I got a dif­fe­rent imp­res­si­on last night."
"You ha­ve deg­ra­ded me. You ha­ve tre­ated me as no ho­no­urab­le man wo­uld ever tre­at a wo­man. What you ha­ve do­ne is a cri­mi­nal of­fen­ce. In tho­se old days of which you are so fond, you wo­uld ha­ve be­en han­ged or sent to the gal­leys for what you ha­ve do­ne."
"Not a man in my po­si­ti­on. I be­li­eve that one of my an­ces­tors used to way­lay tra­vel­lers, bring them he­re and hold them to ran­som. Yet he was ne­ver as­ked to ac­co­unt for his mis­de­eds."
"A lit­tle ga­me which might ap­pe­al to you."
"It do­esn't ap­pe­al in the le­ast. I ha­ve mo­ney in plenty."
"How for­tu­na­te for the tra­vel­lers!"
"If one has suf­fi­ci­ent po­wer and er ex­per­ti­se, shall I say, one can do a gre­at de­al which ot­her pe­op­le can­not. I am go­ing to tell you a true story of one of my an­ces­tors. Wo­uld you li­ke to he­ar it?"
"I wo­uld pre­fer to walk out of this pla­ce and ne­ver see you aga­in."
"You wo­uld con­ti­nue to see me in yo­ur mind's eye and my vo­ice wo­uld ha­unt yo­ur dre­ams."
"I shall do everyt­hing in my po­wer to wi­pe them from my me­mory."
"Oh, Ka­te, has it be­en so ha­te­ful for you?"
"Words can­not desc­ri­be how ha­te­ful. When I le­ave he­re I shall be ab­le to see it in all its hor­ror and I will ne­ver for­get or for­gi­ve you for what you ha­ve do­ne to me."
"Those are harsh words."
"Deservedly so."
"Let me tell you this story of my an­ces­tor. I think it will in­te­rest you."
I did not ans­wer and he went on: "It hap­pe­ned a long ti­me ago, in the thir­te­enth cen­tury to be exact, in the re­ign of Phi­lip­pe who was known as Le Bel be­ca­use he was so hand­so­me. This an­ces­tor of mi­ne was Flo­ren­ce, Earl of Hol­land. A stran­ge na­me for a man, you think. But so­me na­mes are used for men and wo­men he­re. Flo­ren­ce was a man who had had many lo­ve-affa­irs."
T can un­ders­tand yo­ur af­fi­nity, tho­ugh lo­ve-a. Sa. us se­ems an odd way to desc­ri­be them. "
He ig­no­red the in­ter­rup­ti­on.
"Florence had a mist­ress to whom he was rat­her gra­te­ful. He had many mist­res­ses, of co­ur­se, but this one had be­co­me mo­re im­por­tant to him than any of the ot­hers had be­en. The­re ca­me a ti­me when he had fi­nis­hed with her and he wan­ted to see her set­tled in­to res­pec­tab­le mar­ri­age."
"With so­me­one el­se, I pre­su­me, sin­ce he no lon­ger had any use for her?"
"Oh, you are lis­te­ning then. I'm glad of that for I am su­re you will find this very in­te­res­ting. He as­ked one of his mi­nis­ters to marry her. This mi­nis­ter in­dig­nantly re­fu­sed, sa­ying that he wo­uld ne­ver marry one of Flo­ren­ce's cas­toff mist­res­ses."
"I am not surp­ri­sed that he re­fu­sed."
"Florence didn't li­ke it. He was very po­wer­ful. Can you gu­ess what he did?"
I was lo­oking at him in­tently now and slow hor­ror was be­gin­ning to dawn on me. I sa­id: "You want to tell me, don't you?"
"That mi­nis­ter was at the ti­me ena­mo­ured of a wo­man whom he wis­hed to marry. He mar­ri­ed her and snap­ped his fin­gers at his mas­ter. The­re was no qu­es­ti­on then of his be­ing for­ced to marry Flo­ren­ce's mist­ress."
"So po­or Flo­ren­ce did not get his way for on­ce?"
"Oh, he did. He ne­ver al­lo­wed an­yo­ne to get the bet­ter of him. Can you gu­ess what he did. He way­la­id the new wi­fe one day and had her bro­ught to his cast­le. Can you gu­ess what hap­pe­ned?"
I sta­red at him in mo­un­ting hor­ror.
"He kept her the­re for three days," he sa­id, watc­hing me in­tently.
"The re­cords say that he vi­ola­ted her aga­inst her will. Then he sent her back to his mi­nis­ter with a no­te sa­ying:
"You we­re wrong. You see you did marry one of my mist­res­ses." " "
What a ter­rib­le story. "
He was si­lent for a few mo­ments, re­gar­ding me over the can­de­lab­rum.
"I tell you this," he sa­id, 'to let you know what my an­ces­tors we­re li­ke. So what can you ex­pect of me? "
"I knew al­re­ady that they we­re bar­ba­ri­ans. What hap­pe­ned to the nob­le Flo­ren­ce?"
"He was mur­de­red la­ter on."
"Oh!" I'm glad. The story has the right en­ding af­ter all. The wron­ged hus­band mur­de­red him, I sup­po­se. "
"It was ge­ne­ral­ly be­li­eved to be so."
"It sho­uld be a les­son to all bar­ba­ri­ans."
"Barbarians ne­ver le­arn that sort of les­son."
"No, I sup­po­se not."
He was smi­ling at me. I felt sick with ap­pre­hen­si­on. This was be­gin­ning to ta­ke on a new me­aning. Be­fo­re I had felt I wo­uld fight every inch of the way even tho­ugh the bat­tle was lost. But now . I co­uld not be­ar to think of what this me­ant. He was mo­re cyni­cal than I had be­li­eved even him to be.
I sto­od up. He sa­id: "Are you re­ady? Whe­re are you go­ing?"
"I wo­uld go anyw­he­re to get away from you."
"Poor Ka­te!" he sa­id and ca­ught me in his arms.
For the first ti­me I felt as tho­ugh I want to burst in­to te­ars. I co­uld see what he was do­ing. This was not­hing to do with his de­si­re for me. I was a symbol. He had dis­co­ve­red that Bert­rand and I we­re bet­rot­hed and he had de­man­ded that Bert­rand marry Ni­co­le. Bert­rand had re­fu­sed. So the Ba­ron had ta­ken me so that he co­uld say as his an­ces­tor had be­fo­re him: "You will marry a mist­ress of mi­ne af­ter all, even tho­ugh she is not the one I plan­ned for you."
I be­li­eve I co­uld ha­ve kil­led him if I had be­en ca­pab­le of the physi­cal strength. He de­ser­ved the sa­me fa­te as his an­ces­tor.
"Kate," he sa­id.
"I'm in lo­ve with you."
"I know you are ca­pab­le of every evil, but you are not ca­pab­le of lo­ving an­yo­ne, so the­re is no ne­ed to tell bla­tant li­es."
"There is no ne­ed, is the­re, for me to say what I do not me­an?"
"You lo­ve yo­ur­self... yo­ur pri­de ... yo­ur lust ... yo­ur gre­ed . that is what you lo­ve."
"I lo­ve myself, yes ... but next to myself it's you ... for to­night."
I la­id a hand on his arm.
"Let me go ... ple­ase?" I beg­ged.
"So ap­pe­aling. So be­a­uti­ful," he sa­id and he pic­ked me up in his arms.
I lay on the bed . su­pi­ne . in­dif­fe­rent al­most. Vi­ola­ti­on had be­co­me com­monp­la­ce. My body was no lon­ger my own. I was we­ary, ti­red of re­ite­ra­ting my hat­red.
I mur­mu­red: "If only I co­uld send ti­me back. If only I co­uld go back to the ti­me when I was in Pa­ris. I co­uld go ho­me ... ins­te­ad of co­ming he­re ..."
"You wo­uld ha­ve mis­sed the gre­atest ex­pe­ri­en­ce of yo­ur li­fe."
"The gre­atest deg­ra­da­ti­on."
Then I lost my in­dif­fe­ren­ce and sho­uted at him . my hat­red and con­tempt.
He did not he­ed me. He just tur­ned to me and sho­wed me on­ce mo­re that I was his to com­mand.
It was mor­ning. I was awa­ke­ned by the so­und of fo­ots­teps and vo­ices.
I sat up in bed. My ro­be was lying on the flo­or whe­re he had thrown it.
Someone was co­ming in­to the ro­om.
It was the Ba­ron and with him . Bert­rand.
I saw then that this was the fi­nal sce­ne of a far­ce . co­medy. tra­gedy. wha­te­ver he me­ant it to be. This was the cli­max to­wards which he had be­en wor­king.
"Mademoiselle Col­li­son is he­re," he was sa­ying.
"She has be­en he­re for three nights ... with me. Well, Bert­rand, the­re is no ne­ed for me to say mo­re. I wish you a fe­li­ci­to­us li­fe to­get­her.
I can as­su­re you, Ka­te is a most de­si­rab­le wo­man. Many will envy you.
I myself for one.
And anot­her ti­me, Bert­rand, don't be a fo­ol. Do as I tell you. You must not think be­ca­use I ha­ve gi­ven you so­me in­de­pen­den­ce you can flo­ut me. "
That mo­ment re­ma­ins in my me­mory fo­re­ver. The­re was a sud­den stil­lness in the ro­om. It was as tho­ugh we we­re all ina­ni­ma­te out­li­nes in a pic­tu­re.
Bertrand sta­red at me first in ama­ze­ment and then in gro­wing un­ders­tan­ding. Hor­ror . dis­be­li­ef. re­ali­za­ti­on . dis­gust. I saw all tho­se emo­ti­ons in his fa­ce.
His lips for­med my na­me: "Ka­te ..."
I ra­ised myself hol­ding the co­ver­let abo­ut me.
I cri­ed out: "I was bro­ught he­re ... drug­ged ... for­ced ..."
Bertrand con­ti­nu­ed to sta­re at me. Then he tur­ned to the Ba­ron who sto­od the­re smi­ling evil­ly . li­ke the de­mon- gar­goy­le on Not­re Da­me.
He nod­ded slowly in af­fir­ma­ti­on.
"She fo­ught li­ke a wild cat," he sa­id.
"But I think we ca­me to an ... un­ders­tan­ding."
Bertrand's fa­ce was dis­tor­ted. I tho­ught he was go­ing to we­ep. Then sud­denly his exp­res­si­on chan­ged. The­re was not­hing but hat­red. He sprang at the Ba­ron but that wic­ked man was wa­iting for him. Bert­rand was at his thro­at but the Ba­ron pic­ked him up and threw him from him.
Bertrand went down and slid ac­ross the flo­or.
"Get up," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"You are ma­king a fo­ol of yo­ur­self ... and be­fo­re Ka­te. Ka­te, yo­ur clot­hes will be bro­ught up to you. Dress and ta­ke a lit­tle fo­od." He la­id an en­ve­lo­pe on the tab­le.
"Here is the pay­ment for the port­ra­it as we ar­ran­ged, and he­re al­so are the tic­kets you will ne­ed. You may le­ave in an ho­ur's ti­me. The car­ri­age will ta­ke you to the sta­ti­on. All the con­nec­ti­ons ha­ve be­en chec­ked. I pre­su­me you will want to go stra­ight to Eng­land for a rest be­fo­re you ta­ke up yo­ur next com­mis­si­on. Bert­rand can con­duct you as far as he wis­hes."
With that he tur­ned away and left us.
Bertrand had pic­ked him­self up. He was sha­ken by the fall but not so much as he had be­en by what he had se­en and he­ard.
I was sorry for him. I co­uld see that his hu­mi­li­ati­on was al­most as de­ep as my own; and I knew in that mo­ment that I co­uld ne­ver marry him.
I co­uld ne­ver marry an­yo­ne af­ter this.
He sto­od lo­oking at me.
"Kate," he sa­id.
"He ... is a mons­ter," I sa­id.
"I want to go ho­me."
He nod­ded.
"I want to le­ave this pla­ce at the ear­li­est pos­sib­le mo­ment."
The wo­man ca­me in with my clot­hes and hot wa­ter. Bert­rand left us.
"I'll bring you so­me pe­tit de­j­e­uner," sa­id the wo­man, cosy as ever.
"No, thanks," I sa­id.
"I want not­hing mo­re he­re. I want to le­ave at on­ce."
She did not ans­wer but set down the hot wa­ter. I was­hed has­tily and dres­sed. It se­emed stran­ge to be in my own clot­hes aga­in.
I even fo­und the pins for my ha­ir on the tab­le with the mir­ror and I la­ug­hed a lit­tle hyste­ri­cal­ly to think how pre­ci­sely everyt­hing had be­en ta­ken- ca­re of.
Dressed, I felt myself aga­in a dif­fe­rent per­son from the one in the fur­red ro­be and clo­ud of ha­ir. Pe­ering clo­sely at my fa­ce I de­tec­ted a dif­fe­ren­ce the­re. What was it a lo­ok of world­li­ness? Eve must ha­ve lo­oked li­ke that af­ter ha­ving eaten the for­bid­den fru­it.
I des­cen­ded the short spi­ral sta­ir­ca­se. The gre­at iron- stud­ded do­or was open.
I fo­und my way out of the to­wer and down to the ro­om whe­re it se­emed so long ago I had par­ta­ken of pot aufeu and drug­ged wi­ne.
Bertrand was out­si­de with the car­ri­age. The­re was no sign of the Ba­ron. I sup­po­sed he had go­ne back to the cast­le. The lit­tle ad­ven­tu­re which had ru­ined my li­fe and bro­ught him the sa­tis­fac­ti­on he had ne­eded, was over.
I sa­id: "Let us go. Let us get away from this pla­ce."
So we went to­get­her.
Bertrand sa­id very lit­tle du­ring the jo­ur­ney. I tho­ught it wo­uld ne­ver end. We had left Ro­u­en and we­re ap­pro­ac­hing the co­ast.
I sa­id to him: "The­re is no ne­ed for you to cross the Chan­nel. I don't ne­ed an es­cort in my own co­untry."
He nod­ded aga­in.
When we re­ac­hed Ca­la­is, the­re was an ho­ur to wa­it for the pac­ket-bo­at.
I sa­id: "Don't stay, Bert­rand."
"I will see you sa­fely on bo­ard," he rep­li­ed.
He sat lo­oking over the sea. Then he did talk a lit­tle.
He sa­id: "I'll kill him."
"It wo­uld chan­ge not­hing."
"It wo­uld be a bles­sing for man­kind."

I 7 I

"Bertrand, don't talk li­ke that. It wo­uld be a do­ub­le tra­gedy if you ga­ve way to re­ven­ge."
I was thin­king: You wo­uld ne­ver do it. You co­uld not. He wo­uld ne­ver al­low it and he is the one who calls the tu­ne.
Bertrand to­ok my hand and pres­sed it. I tri­ed not to show how I shrank from his to­uch.
Everything was chan­ged. I be­li­eved I wo­uld ne­ver be ab­le to shut out of my mind the ima­ges which crow­ded in­to it, and Rol­lo de Cen­te­vil­le do­mi­na­ted them all.
I did not think Bert­rand wan­ted to marry me now. I had se­en that lo­ok of re­vul­si­on in his eyes when he had lo­oked at me in that bed. It was not that he did not be­li­eve I had be­en tric­ked and for­ced aga­inst my will . he be­li­eved all that wit­ho­ut a do­ubt. He saw me as the vic­tim I had be­en; but at the sa­me ti­me he co­uld not for­get that, as the Ba­ron sa­id, I had be­en his mist­ress.
I co­uld ne­ver marry Bert­rand. Everyt­hing bet­we­en us had be­en over sin­ce that mo­ment he ca­me in­to the bed­ro­om.
So for on­ce Rol­lo wo­uld not ha­ve his way. The obj­ect had be­en to ma­ke Bert­rand eat his words. He wo­uld marry one of the Ba­ron's cast-off mist­res­ses . so he had tho­ught. He was fo­oled at last, for the­re wo­uld be no mar­ri­age.
I was glad to be alo­ne.
His last words we­re: "I will wri­te. We will work out so­met­hing ..."
I smi­led at him. I knew it was over.
I le­aned over the ra­il lo­oking at the swir­ling wa­ter and I was fil­led with an angry re­sent­ment. I tho­ught of that Ka­te Col­li­son who had cros­sed the Chan­nel not long ago set­ting out on a dan­ge­ro­us ad­ven­tu­re.
And dan­ge­ro­us it had cer­ta­inly be­en, for I had co­me wit­hin the or­bit of that stran­ge man, the bar­ba­ri­an who had chan­ged my li­fe.
Fury se­ized me. He had da­red use me be­ca­use he wis­hed to show that he must be obe­yed. Bert­rand must obey him. It had not­hing to do with his de­si­re for me, which I had be­li­eved must ha­ve be­en gre­at for him to go to such lengths to sa­tisfy it.
That was the ul­ti­ma­te hu­mi­li­ati­on. That was what an­ge­red me de­ep down mo­re than anyt­hing el­se that had hap­pe­ned to me.
Away in the dis­tan­ce I co­uld see the whi­te cliffs. The sight had a he­aling ef­fect on me. I was go­ing ho­me.
Nicole ---------‹‹S ‹^›r‹^›-----------It was a stran­ge fe­eling tra­vel­ling thro­ugh the Ken­tish co­untry­si­de.
The orc­hards, the hop fi­elds, the oast ho­uses, the me­adows and the lit­tle wo­ods, they all se­emed so fresh, even af­ter the sum­mer. They lo­oked the sa­me as I had se­en them many ti­mes be­fo­re. It was I who had chan­ged.
People wo­uld su­rely no­ti­ce. I co­uld not be the sa­me. I did not lo­ok qu­ite the sa­me. Wo­uld they ask qu­es­ti­ons? How sho­uld I ans­wer them?
One thing I knew and that was that I co­uld ne­ver be­ar to talk of the sha­me­ful thing that had hap­pe­ned to me.
It se­emed that every day my hat­red for that man grew mo­re in­ten­se. If he bar­ba­ri­an that he was had gre­atly de­si­red me, alt­ho­ugh I co­uld not ha­ve for­gi­ven him, per­haps I might- be­ne­ath my re­sent­ment ha­ve felt a lit­tle flat­te­red. But it had not be­en li­ke that. He had me­rely wan­ted his re­ven­ge on Bert­rand and he had used me for that pur­po­se, ta­ken me as tho­ugh I we­re so­me ina­ni­ma­te obj­ect to be pic­ked up and thrown asi­de when he had fi­nis­hed with it. That was how he saw all pe­op­le. It did not oc­cur to him that they might ha­ve fe­elings . or did it? Per­haps he simply did not ca­re that they had. Everyt­hing . ever­yo­ne . was for his ple­asu­re.
Well, he sho­uld not sco­re this ti­me. He had ru­ined my li­fe . and Bert­rand's too per­haps . but he was not go­ing to get the re­sult he was lo­oking for. His plot was go­ing to fa­il. He co­uld say that I had be­en his mist­ress al­be­it most un­wil­lingly- but he co­uld not ma­ke me marry Bert­rand.
We co­uld snap our fin­gers at him.
But I must stop thin­king of him. He was over as far as I was con­cer­ned. I ho­ped ne­ver to see him aga­in. I had to think of myself and what I was go­ing to do. The­re was only one way to act and that was to carry on as tho­ugh this had ne­ver hap­pe­ned.
Could I do that? I wo­uld so­on be put to the test.
I to­ok the sta­ti­on fly and very so­on I was get­ting out at the fa­mi­li­ar ho­use.
There was a cry from wit­hin.
"She's he­re. It's Ka­te."
And they we­re run­ning out. I saw my fat­her first and his fa­ce was shi­ning with hap­pi­ness.
"Kate!" he cri­ed.
"Dear Ka­te."
Then I was in his arms. He held me away from him and stu­di­ed me. I felt myself flus­hing. Was it ob­vi­o­us? But he ga­ve no sign of anyt­hing but the ut­most joy . and pri­de that mo­re than anyt­hing.
"My de­arest child," he sa­id.
"It was a gre­at suc­cess ... be­yond my dre­ams."
I tho­ught: His eyes are not strong eno­ugh to no­ti­ce the dif­fe­ren­ce.
I saw Cla­re then. She was stan­ding shyly in the backg­ro­und. So­me of the ser­vants we­re with her Mrs. Ba­ines the co­ok and Jer­ry the handy­man, and the ma­ids. They we­re all grin­ning the­ir ple­asu­re.
Clare ca­me for­ward and to­ok my hand ten­ta­ti­vely. I kis­sed her.
"You lo­ok well," she sa­id.
"We we­re all so happy to he­ar that the pic­tu­re was such a suc­cess."
Mrs. Ba­ines had co­oked a ste­ak pie. I had li­ked it as a child and had be­en eating it fre­qu­ently ever sin­ce be­ca­use it was sa­id to be one of my fa­vo­uri­te fo­ods. Sup­per wo­uld be ser­ved early, she sa­id. She rec­ko­ned that tra­vel­ling whip­ped up the ap­pe­ti­te.
Clare to­ok me to my ro­om.
"Oh Ka­te," she sa­id, "I'm so glad you're back."

NICOLE 175

I lo­oked at her ste­adily and sa­id: "You know abo­ut my fat­her now."
"Yes, he told us all when he ca­me back."
"What is it go­ing to do to him?"
She was tho­ught­ful.
"Oddly eno­ugh," she sa­id, 'he do­esn't se­em as up­set as you wo­uld think.
It was due to all that suc­cess you had. He told us abo­ut it. How that Ba­ron was it? had a spe­ci­al gat­he­ring and int­ro­du­ced you, and how you we­re go­ing alo­ne to do the mi­ni­atu­re of the prin­cess and how you had ot­her com­mis­si­ons. He fe­els his ta­lent is a pre­ci­o­us gift and it has be­en pas­sed sa­fely in­to yo­ur hands. "
"You re­al­ly think that's how hf fe­els?"
"Oh, I do. He has tal­ked to me abo­ut it." She lo­we­red her eyes al­most apo­lo­ge­ti­cal­ly.
"I think it's be­ca­use ofE­vie ... and my be­ing a con­nec­ti­on of hers. He fe­els he can talk to me."
"It's for you yo­ur­self, Cla­re," I as­su­red her.
"Evie was a won­der­ful rock for us, but she wasn't par­ti­cu­larly sympat­he­tic abo­ut our pa­in­ting. She sa­id it was " very ni­ce" but I think it was only ac­cep­tab­le be­ca­use it was our li­ve­li­ho­od. He fe­els you un­ders­tand, Cla­re."
"Oh, I do ho­pe so."
"One sen­ses it," I told her.
"You must ha­ve had a most ex­ci­ting ti­me. You lo­ok ... I wa­ited ap­pre­hen­si­vely.
"Different," she fi­nis­hed.
"Different?"
"Well... mo­re worldly, I sup­po­se. Na­tu­ral­ly you wo­uld ... tra­vel­ling and be­ing re­cog­ni­zed. It has ma­de a dif­fe­ren­ce in you. You lo­ok ... shall I say? ... po­ised." She la­ug­hed.
"Don't ask me to exp­la­in. I was ne­ver go­od at exp­la­na­ti­ons. When you ha­ve was­hed and chan­ged do go and talk to yo­ur fat­her. He is so lon­ging to ha­ve you to him­self I went to him as so­on as I co­uld. He was in his study. Han­ging on the walls we­re two mi­ni­atu­res- one he had do­ne of my mot­her and the ot­her of me as a child. They we­re ex­qu­isi­te pi­eces of work his best, I al­ways tho­ught. He wo­uld ne­ver part with them.
"Kate," he cri­ed.
"It is go­od to ha­ve you ho­me. Now tell me everyt­hing."
Everything? I sho­uld cer­ta­inly not do that. I won­de­red fle­etingly how my de­ar, go­od and rat­her in­no­cent fat­her wo­uld ha­ve re­ac­ted to the ra­pe of his da­ugh­ter.
"The Prin­ces­se's mi­ni­atu­re ..." he went on.
"It was ap­pro­ved."
"Did the Ba­ron co­me to see it?"
"No. I had to ta­ke it to him. He has pa­id for it."
"My de­ar Ka­te, you will be rich. Was the Prin­ces­se an easy su­bj­ect?"
"In a way, yes. She was just a yo­ung girl."
"But a Prin­ces­se!"
"She was qu­ite a nor­mal girl re­al­ly."
"And the Ba­ron ..." The­re se­emed to be a long pa­use.
"He re­al­ly did li­ke it, then. Was he as ent­hu­si­as­tic abo­ut it as he was abo­ut yo­ur port­ra­it of him?"
"I don't know. I think he li­ked it tho­ugh." '-Won­der­ful. A man who wo­uld not be easy to ple­ase. "
I wan­ted to scre­am out: Ple­ase stop tal­king abo­ut him. The only pe­ace of mind I can ha­ve is in for­get­ting him.
"What abo­ut you?" I as­ked.
"You ha­ve co­me to ac­cept... the ine­vi­tab­le."
"The fact that you ha­ve be­en re­cog­ni­zed ma­kes a lot of dif­fe­ren­ce to me, Ka­te. I al­ways knew you had a re­mar­kab­le ta­lent, but I did think it was go­ing to be dif­fi­cult to ma­ke the world re­ali­ze it. And now thanks to the Ba­ron ..."
I sa­id qu­ickly: "Has the­re be­en any chan­ge in yo­ur eyes?"
"I fancy I don't see as well as I did when we set out on our tra­vels.
It is li­ke lo­oking in­to a fog. a lit­tle way off. but the fog cre­eps ne­arer. That was a mad prank of ours, Ka­te, but the won­der of it was that it wor­ked. If the Ba­ron hadn't NI­CO­LE i if be­en a true con­no­is­se­ur of art, it co­uld ne­ver ha­ve hap­pe­ned. "
Could he not stop brin­ging the man in­to the con­ver­sa­ti­on? He se­emed ob­ses­sed by him.
"I ha­ve ot­her com­mis­si­ons now," I sa­id qu­ickly.
"Yes. That is won­der­ful."
"I shall be go­ing back to Pa­ris to the ho­use of the Du­ponts in three we­eks' ti­me. I ha­ve to pa­int the two da­ugh­ters, you re­mem­ber."
"It's qu­ite won­der­ful. And when I think what you owe to the Ba­ron ..
"
I sa­id: "I think we sho­uld go to din­ner now, Mrs. Ba­ines won't be ple­ased if we are la­te."
So we di­ned- my fat­her, Cla­re and I and I tack­led the ste­ak pie to Mrs.
Baines's sa­tis­fac­ti­on and ans­we­red the qu­es­ti­ons which we­re fi­red at me.
Clare lo­oked on with her big doe-li­ke eyes, full of hap­pi­ness be­ca­use I was ho­me and my fat­her was co­ming to terms abo­ut his enc­ro­ac­hing blind­ness.
It was ama­zing how many ti­mes my fat­her men­ti­oned the Ba­ron. It was im­pos­sib­le to es­ca­pe from the man and I felt as tho­ugh he we­re sit­ting at our di­ning-ro­om tab­le with us.
And that night I dre­amed of him. I was lying on that bed in the lod­ge and he was ap­pro­ac­hing me. I scre­amed and awa­ke­ned, gre­atly re­li­eved to find myself in my own ho­mely bed.
I won­de­red then, was I ever go­ing to ba­nish that man from my li­fe?
A few days la­ter a let­ter ca­me from Ma­da­me Du­pont. She ho­ped I wo­uld co­me as so­on as pos­sib­le. Her sis­ter-in-law wan­ted to talk bu­si­ness with me too. She al­so had a da­ugh­ter and was eager to ha­ve a Col­li­son mi­ni­atu­re ot­her.
"Of co­ur­se," she wro­te, "I know you are com­mit­ted to do the wi­fe of Mon­si­e­ur Vil­lef­ranc­he first but ple­ase do not let him thrust so­me­one el­se upon you be­fo­re you do my sis­ter-inlaw's girl."
I was in­de­ed a suc­cess. And he had do­ne that for me, but I co­uld not be gra­te­ful to him. I co­uld fe­el not­hing but hat­red and dis­gust.
I wo­uld go ear­li­er than I in­ten­ded. I felt I had to get away from all the in­ter­ro­ga­ti­on which I had to en­du­re con­cer­ning my stay in Pa­ris and I co­uld not be­ar my fat­her's cons­tant re­fe­ren­ces to the Ba­ron.
Moreover, li­fe in Far­ring­don was not the sa­me. I tho­ught the vi­ca­ra­ge fa­mily frankly bo­ring and I had ne­ver be­en so very fri­endly with the Cam­bo­mes.
Clare was get­ting on very well in the vil­la­ge. She had fit­ted in li­ke a na­ti­ve and was cons­tantly at the vi­ca­ra­ge, de­co­ra­ting the church and dis­cus­sing me­ans of ra­ising mo­ney for the bells and in­vol­ving her­self ge­ne­ral­ly in the af­fa­irs of the ne­igh­bo­ur­ho­od. They all li­ked her, but her par­ti­cu­lar fri­ends we­re the Cam­bo­me twins. She tal­ked to me abo­ut them. She was a lit­tle con­cer­ned be­ca­use Ho­pe had an ad­mi­rer and she wor­ri­ed a lit­tle abo­ut po­or Fa­ith.
"What wo­uld she do," she sa­id, 'if her twin mar­ri­ed. She can't jo­in up with them, can she? I do think po­or Fa­ith is get­ting very ap­pre­hen­si­ve. How stran­ge na­tu­re is . to ma­ke two pe­op­le so clo­se .
"
I scar­cely lis­te­ned. The af­fa­irs of the vil­la­ge had be­co­me very dull to me.
I was glad when the ti­me ca­me for me to le­ave.
My fat­her sa­id: "It lo­oks as tho­ugh you will ha­ve se­ve­ral com­mis­si­ons.
There is this new one co­ming along with the sis­ter-in-law. You must ta­ke ad­van­ta­ge of it. "
"It co­uld me­an qu­ite a long stay in Pa­ris," I po­in­ted out.
"The lon­ger the bet­ter ... at this sta­ge. You ha­ve to get known. La­ter you can be mo­re se­lec­ti­ve. It wo­uld be a mis­ta­ke to over­lo­ad the mar­ket, but just at first you must get known."

NICOLE I JQ

"I fe­el I can le­ave you in sa­fe hands."
"Clare is won­der­ful. Shall I whis­per so­met­hing? She's easi­er to get on with than Evie was."
"That's exactly what I think. Evie was a mar­vel of ef­fi­ci­ency but Cla­re is mo­re ... what shall I say? She's sof­ter ... mo­re hu­man . "
"You're right. You co­uldn't le­ave me in bet­ter hands. So ... no ne­ed to worry abo­ut anyt­hing at ho­me. Ke­ep yo­ur mind on yo­ur work. You're go­ing to be the best Col­li­son of us all."
I was rat­her re­li­eved when the ti­me ca­me for me to set out for Pa­ris.
In spi­te of everyt­hing, I co­uldn't help fe­eling ex­hi­la­ra­ted when I ar­ri­ved in Pa­ris. It was early eve­ning when I step­ped out of the tra­in at the Ga­re du Nord and im­me­di­ately ca­ught that whiff of ex­ci­te­ment which the city had pre­vi­o­usly aro­used in me. I was ca­ught up in the bust­le and no­ti­ced im­me­di­ately the no­ise. The French tal­ked so much mo­re lo­udly than we did in Eng­land and the­ir hands we­re as exp­res­si­ve as the­ir vo­ices. I he­ard stra­ins of mu­sic co­ming from so­mew­he­re; and I smelt the fa­mi­li­ar smell of tra­ins and per­fu­me.
I tho­ught then: The past is do­ne with. I shall be­gin aga­in from he­re.
But when the por­ter car­ri­ed my bags and ha­iled a cab for me and I ca­ught sight of the coc­ker with his blue co­at and whi­te hat, I co­uld not stop the tre­mor of ap­pre­hen­si­on run­ning thro­ugh me. I wo­uld ne­ver en­ti­rely for­get. Even as I step­ped in­to the cab and was as­ked in a fri­endly vo­ice whe­re I wan­ted to go, I lo­oked sus­pi­ci­o­usly in­to the smi­ling fa­ce and saw anot­her the­re.
I pul­led myself to­get­her and ga­ve Ma­da­me Du­pont's ad­dress. I felt de­eply mo­ved as we trot­ted down the fa­mi­li­ar Bo­ule­vard Ha­us­smann. The Rue du Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int- Ho­no­re was not far off.
The Du­ponts' ho­use was in the Bo­ule­vard Co­ur­cel­les nest­ling among a row of tall whi­te ho­uses which I ca­me to re­cog­ni­ze as typi­cal of the town ho­uses of tho­se who had es­ta­tes in the co­untry.
I sus­pec­ted the Du­ponts we­re of that gen­re, as they had be­en gu­ests of the Ba­ron. I was su­re he wo­uld only know pe­op­le who we­re rich or of nob­le li­ne­age.
I was al­most surp­ri­sed when the cab drew up and the coc­ker co­ur­te­o­usly hel­ped me with my bags.
The do­or was ope­ned by a man­ser­vant in dark blue li­very with to­uc­hes of sil­ver abo­ut it. He gre­eted me with de­fe­ren­ce. I was evi­dently ex­pec­ted.
"Madame has as­ked that you be ta­ken to her as so­on as you ar­ri­ve," he told me.
"Pray co­me this way."
He sig­nal­led to a boy in the sa­me dark blue li­very but with less sil­ver bra­id, which I pre­su­med in­di­ca­ted that he was of in­fe­ri­or rank, to ta­ke my bags, whi­le I fol­lo­wed him in­to a lar­ge ro­om with dark blue walls and whi­te dra­pe­ri­es which we­re most ef­fec­ti­ve. It was a sort of re­cep­ti­on hall. The man knoc­ked on a do­or and with a flo­urish ope­ned it and an­no­un­ced that Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son had ar­ri­ved.
Madame Du­pont swam to­wards me.
"Welcome, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son," she cri­ed.
"It is a gre­at ple­asu­re to ha­ve you with us. We are lo­oking for­ward to what you are go­ing to do for us. Now, we want you to be very com­for­tab­le whi­le you stay with us... and I do ho­pe you will be ab­le to work for my sis­ter-in-law. She is most an­xi­o­us for you to ma­ke a pretty pic­tu­re of her yo­ung da­ugh­ter." Ma­da­me Du­pont put a fin­ger to her lips as tho­ugh to con­ce­al a smi­le.
"I don't think you will find her such a re­war­ding su­bj­ect as my girls.
But you'll do so­met­hing be­a­uti­ful with her, I know. I think per­haps you wo­uld li­ke to go to yo­ur ro­om first and then ... shall we say ... me­et the girls? I

NICOLE 181

believe you ha­ve to talk to them. draw them out. That was what the Ba­ron sug­ges­ted, I think. "
"Thank you, Ma­da­me Du­pont," I sa­id.
"You are very kind."
"And it has be­en a trying jo­ur­ney I ha­ve no do­ubt."
"Well, it is long and the cros­sing is al­ways dif­fi­cult."
"Yes, of co­ur­se. Now wo­uld you li­ke so­me ref­resh­ment or will you wa­it for din­ner? It is for you to say."
I sa­id I wo­uld wa­it for din­ner and she rep­li­ed that she wo­uld sum­mon a ma­id wit­ho­ut de­lay to ta­ke me to my ro­om.
This she did and I was con­duc­ted to a char­ming ro­om on the first flo­or with win­dows which re­ac­hed from ce­iling to flo­or. It had dark walls and whi­te cur­ta­ins -which se­emed to be the mo­tif of the ho­use. It was very at­trac­ti­ve.
My bed had a be­a­uti­ful ta­pestry he­ad­pi­ece in what I re­cog­ni­zed as the Fon­ta­ineb­le­au pat­tern ne­ar-whi­te swir­ling flo­wers on a dark blue backg­ro­und. The co­ver­let was whi­te bro­de­rie ang­la­ise- char­ming and fresh. My dres­sing- tab­le was cur­ta­ined in dark blue vel­vet and it had a whi­te- ed­ged mir­ror with three si­des.
My fe­elings ro­se in spi­te of everyt­hing.
It had be­en the best thing pos­sib­le for me to co­me to Pa­ris, I was su­re, and af­ter such bru­tal hand­ling as I had suf­fe­red, af­ter such bit­ter hu­mi­li­ati­on, it was com­for­ting to be tre­ated with res­pect. My spi­rits we­re ri­sing. I was an ar­tist to be re­cog­ni­zed and ap­pre­ci­ated.
I must put that hor­rif­ying epi­so­de be­hind me and ma­ke a new start. I was lucky in the fact that I had be­en gi­ven a chan­ce to do so.
I chan­ged in­to a dress of gre­en bro­ca­de. I was pre­pa­red to li­ve in an ele­gant so­ci­ety, and alt­ho­ugh I had not bro­ught many clot­hes tho­se I had we­re all qu­ite ade­qu­ate. I had le­ar­ned so­met­hing of what the French cal­led chic du­ring my bri­ef stay in the­ir co­untry and I had, I think, be­en born with so­met­hing in com­mon with them: I lo­ved the way in which they ming­led co­lo­urs and that ele­gan­ce which co­uld ma­ke the most pla­in among wo­men lo­ok in­te­res­ting. The fact was I had ta­ken a step away from the past. I was on my way to a new li­fe and I be­li­eved that in ti­me I wo­uld for­get the Ba­ron.
I was in­te­res­ted in the ho­use and lon­ging to see my new su­bj­ects.
Already I was con­cer­ning myself with whe­re I sho­uld work and how I sho­uld ap­pro­ach the port­ra­its of the De­mo­isel­les Du­pont.
A cer­ta­in fe­eling of ela­ti­on con­ti­nu­ed thro­ug­ho­ut the eve­ning. I di­ri­ed with the fa­mily and Ma­da­me Du­pont tre­ated me as tho­ugh I we­re a per­son of con­si­de­rab­le im­por­tan­ce. I was the gre­at pa­in­ter ac­cla­imed by the Ba­ron de Gen­te­vil­le. Mon­si­e­ur Du­pont was a mild gent­le­man who se­emed in­tent on hu­mo­uring his wi­fe's wis­hes and de­fer­ring to her in every way. I dis­co­ve­red la­ter that he kept a pretty mist­ress in a lit­tle ho­use on the Left Bank and his gre­at aim was to ke­ep his wi­fe con­tent so that she did not in­ter­fe­re with this very happy ar­ran­ge­ment of his. The two da­ugh­ters, Emi­lie and Sop­hie, did not in­te­rest me gre­atly as pe­op­le, and only be­ca­use they we­re su­bj­ects did I for­ce myself to be con­cer­ned with them. They we­re se­ven­te­en and six­te­en res­pec­ti­vely on the ver­ge of be­ing bro­ught out in­to so­ci­ety- hen­ce the mi­ni­atu­res. They gig­gled a gre­at de­al and had a ha­bit of whis­pe­ring to­get­her, which I fo­und ir­ri­ta­ting and rat­her bad man­ners.
But that was no con­cern of mi­ne. I tho­ught I co­uld ma­ke re­aso­nab­le pic­tu­res of them. I wo­uld try to flat­ter them, for it was no use se­eking hid­den cha­rac­ter in tho­se va­pid lit­tle fa­ces.
I was an obj­ect of in­te­rest to the girls, who to­ok co­vert lo­oks at me thro­ug­ho­ut the me­al and met each ot­her's eyes ac­ross the tab­le con­ve­ying sec­ret mes­sa­ges. They we­re the sort of girls who ma­de you won­der whet­her you had a smut on yo­ur che­ek or so­me but­tons un­do­ne.
Madame Du­pont, ho­we­ver, do­ted on them, and I was su­re she saw them thro­ugh a ro­se-co­lo­ured ha­ze. Her gre­at aim, I so­on dis­co­ve­red, was to find su­itab­le hus­bands for them both, whi­le Mon­si­e­ur Du­pont's was to ke­ep his fa­mily oc­cu­pi­ed with each ot­her whi­le he re­ta­ined his lo­ve-nest on the Left Bank in­tact.
Madame, du­ring the me­al, in­for­med her hus­band that, in spi­te of my yo­uth, I was an ac­cla­imed pa­in­ter. One of the Col­li­sons and ever­yo­ne . but ever­yo­ne . knew of the Col­li­son mi­ni­atu­res. They we­re sa­id to be in the top gra­de of mi­ni­atu­res thro­ug­ho­ut the world. All the fa­mily had do­ne them for hund­reds of ye­ars. Wasn't that won­der­ful? I be­li­eve she tho­ught she was very as­tu­te to se­cu­re me be­fo­re my pri­ces so­ared.
She knew I was a gre­at ar­tist be­ca­use the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le had ma­de that very cle­ar to her, and ever­yo­ne knew that the Ba­ron was one of the most res­pec­ted con­no­is­se­urs in the co­untry. He even ad­vi­sed the Em­pe­ror and Euge­nie. The mi­ni­atu­re I had do­ne of the Ba­ron was qu­ite su­perb . and so was that of the Prin­ces­se de Cres­pigny.
"I am su­re tho­se of our girls will be equ­al­ly suc­ces­sful. The Ba­ron will pre­sent his to the Prin­ces­se and she will gi­ve hers to him. Is that not a char­ming ges­tu­re for af­fi­an­ced pe­op­le to exc­han­ge obj­ects of be­a­uty? A mi­ni­atu­re set in jewels- the Ba­ron's was set in di­amonds and sap­phi­res- mo­re ap­pe­aling than an exc­han­ge of rings, I think. Well, you girls will ha­ve yo­ur mi­ni­atu­res when the ti­me co­mes . "
Madame Du­pont was a gre­at tal­ker. I was glad of that. It ma­de one's own cont­ri­bu­ti­on less de­man­ding.
I was to pa­int Emi­lie first as she was the el­der, and the next mor­ning I was ta­ken to an at­tic which was fa­irly light and ga­ve me enc­han­ting vi­ews of Pa­ris. I sat Emi­lie with the light on her fa­ce. Li­ke my ot­her mo­del, the Prin­ces­se, her no­se was too lar­ge, but whe­re­as the­re had be­en cha­rac­ter in the Prin­ces­se's fa­ce, I co­uld de­tect lit­tle of that na­tu­re in my new mo­del.
She was happy tho­ugh, and that ga­ve so­met­hing ple­asant to her fa­ce.
The eyes dark brown- we­re not bad at all. Her skin was on the oli­ve si­de not easy. But I wan­ted to get that she­en of fresh­ness be­ca­use I co­uld see that Emi­lie's ma­in at­trac­ti­on was that which is gi­ven to us all at so­me ti­me: Yo­uth.
She watc­hed me mix my pa­ints.
"I ho­pe you'll ma­ke me pret­ti­er than I am," she sa­id.
"I shall try to ma­ke an at­trac­ti­ve pic­tu­re. I li­ke yo­ur dress."
It was pa­le ma­uve and su­ited her dark co­lo­uring.
"Maman cho­se it."
Trust Ma­man! Wha­te­ver el­se she was, she un­ders­to­od how to dress her­self and her da­ugh­ters.
"It's per­fect," I sa­id.
"Just talk to me ... com­for­tably ... easily ... as tho­ugh I we­re a fri­end."
"What shall I talk abo­ut?"
"About what you li­ke do­ing. Abo­ut yo­ur clot­hes ... yo­ur fri­ends .. "
She was ton­gue-ti­ed. I ima­gi­ned how she wo­uld gig­gle with her sis­ter when tel­ling her abo­ut this sit­ting.
Finally she for­got her shyness and told me how she was go­ing to be ta­ken to Co­urt. Her co­usin Fran­co­ise wo­uld be co­ming so­on and she and Fran­co­ise wo­uld be ta­ken to­get­her. Sop­hie had to wa­it anot­her ye­ar.
She was ha­ving new dres­ses ma­de and she was lo­oking for­ward to it. She wo­uld be pre­sen­ted to the Em­pe­ror and the Emp­ress Euge­nic. Then of co­ur­se the­re wo­uld be balls and she wo­uld me­et all sorts of pe­op­le. It wo­uld all be very ex­ci­ting and if she we­re a suc­cess she might be mar­ri­ed very so­on.
"And you wo­uld li­ke that?"
"It wo­uld de­pend on ..."
"On the bri­deg­ro­om," I sa­id.
"Well, na­tu­ral­ly. What sort of bri­deg­ro­om do you ho­pe for?"
"Handsome, bra­ve, nob­le and Ma­man will in­sist that he is rich."
"That's a big bill to fit. Now if you co­uld only go for one of tho­se qu­ali­ti­es, which wo­uld it be?"
She lo­oked at me in be­wil­der­ment. I co­uld see it was no use trying to int­ro­du­ce a light no­te in­to con­ver­sa­ti­on with Ma­de­mo­isel­le Emi­lie.
She sa­id: "First of all the­re's the wed­ding. That will be a big oc­ca­si­on. Sop­hie will be al­lo­wed to at­tend the re­cep­ti­on."
"Oh, what wed­ding is this?"
"The Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le and the Prin­ces­se de Cres­pigny."
"Oh," I sa­id fa­intly.
"Next we­ek ... at Not­re Da­me. The stre­ets will be crow­ded. Oh, it will be such fun."
I had be­en pro­mi­sing myself to for­get him and now it se­emed he was back as vi­vidly as ever. I co­uld not go on pa­in­ting. My hand had lost its ste­adi­ness.
I sa­id: "The light is not go­od eno­ugh. I'll ha­ve to stop."
Emilie was not­hing lo­ath. She was the sort of sit­ter who wo­uld ti­re easily.
"How is it go­ing?" she as­ked.
"Well, it is rat­her so­on yet."
"Can I see?"
"I sho­uld wa­it a day or so."
"All right. Go­odb­ye. Can you find yo­ur way to yo­ur own ro­om?"
"Oh yes, thank you very much."
She ran off to gig­gle with Sop­hie abo­ut the sit­ting and the cu­ri­o­us ways of the ar­tist, I sup­po­sed.
I went to my ro­om and sat for a long ti­me lo­oking out of my win­dow at the Pa­ris stre­et.
So next we­ek . he wo­uld be mar­ri­ed . What did that mat­ter to me?
I had cut him out of my li­fe. Po­or lit­tle Prin­ces­se! I won­de­red what Ma­rie-Cla­ude was thin­king at this mo­ment.
The mi­ni­atu­re was prog­res­sing well. It was not dif­fi­cult. Just a stro­ke of the brush to get the li­ne of the jaw. She had a he­art-sha­ped fa­ce which was rat­her ap­pe­aling. I wo­uld ac­cen­tu­ate that. The co­lo­ur of the skin bot­he­red me; but when she was ex­ci­ted the­re was a fa­int rosy tin­ge in her che­eks. I wo­uld try for that. It wor­ked won­ders and ma­de her eyes lo­ok big­ger.
Yes, I was ma­king a ple­asant pic­tu­re of Ma­de­mo­isel­le Emi­lie. I sho­uld fi­nish in go­od ti­me and then start on yo­ung Sop­hie.
I tho­ught: It is mo­ney easily ear­ned. The Ba­ron had fi­xed the pri­ce for me. He had sa­id: "Pe­op­le va­lue you as you va­lue yo­ur­self. If you char­ge too lit­tle they will con­si­der you se­cond-ra­te. Put yo­ur pri­ces high and they will be­li­eve you are worth it... even if you're not.
People al­ways li­ke to think they get what they pay for. "
Thanks to him, I co­uld be­co­me a rich and fas­hi­onab­le ar­tist with many com­mis­si­ons li­ke this.
I had wor­ked ste­adily, fe­eling the­re was no ne­ed for de­lay. I had pro­bed the na­tu­re of the lit­tle sis­ter- not that it was ne­ces­sary to dig very de­eply. So much the bet­ter. In a way it ma­de the task easi­er if not so in­te­res­ting. How dif­fe­rent it had be­en wor­king on the Ba­ron.
In him I dis­co­ve­red so­met­hing new every day.
I co­uld not get him out of my mind. I sup­po­sed it was be­ca­use he was go­ing to get mar­ri­ed so­on.
There wo­uld be no sit­ting on the wed­ding day.
It daw­ned bright and sunny. It was go­ing to be hot as the day prog­res­sed. I tho­ught of the frigh­te­ned lit­tle Prin­ces­se awa­ke­ning on this mor­ning- her last day of fre­edom. How wo­uld she fa­re with that mons­ter of ini­qu­ity? I shud­de­red to con­temp­la­te the uni­on. He wo­uld ta­ke her back to the cha­te­au, I sup­po­sed. I ima­gi­ned her-lit­tle Ma­rie Cla­ude-awa­iting him in the nup­ti­al cham­ber, all her fe­ars upon her.
For she was frigh­te­ned of him. I had dis­co­ve­red that much- and no do­ubt she had go­od re­ason to be.
The ho­use was qu­i­et. The fa­mily had go­ne to the wed­ding. The ser­vants wo­uld be out in the stre­ets be­ca­use it was so­met­hing of an oc­ca­si­on, and I ima­gi­ned crowds wo­uld be gat­he­red aro­und Not­re Da­me to see the bri­de and gro­om ar­ri­ve se­pa­ra­tely and de­part to­get­her.
And then the­re ca­me the ir­re­sis­tib­le ur­ge to go in­to the stre­ets to ming­le with the pe­op­le, to see him on­ce mo­re. Just on­ce, I told myself, and then ne­ver . ne­ver aga­in.
I put on my clo­ak and went out in­to the stre­et. I ha­iled a cab -still so­met­hing of an une­asy ad­ven­tu­re for me and I as­ked the coc­ker to ta­ke me to the Sa­in­te-Chap­pel­le. I tho­ught that wo­uld be ne­ar eno­ugh and I wo­uld walk the rest of the way.
He chat­ted to me. He re­cog­ni­zed my ac­cent at on­ce as that of a fo­re­ig­ner, as they all did. It amu­sed me to see the dif­fe­rent re­ac­ti­ons. Most we­re amu­sed in a fri­endly way, eager to help; but the­re we­re so­me who we­re a lit­tle re­sent­ful and inc­li­ned to des­pi­se one for not be­ing French. It was a com­mon trick, I knew now, to pre­tend not to un­ders­tand what I sa­id. But this one was de­ci­dedly fri­endly.
Had I be­en to see the Lo­uv­re, the Pant­he­on? I sho­uld ta­ke a cab to Mont­mart­re. I told him it was not my first vi­sit to Pa­ris and I had al­re­ady se­en a lit­tle of the city, which I fo­und fas­ci­na­ting.
He was de­ligh­ted and tal­ked in­ces­santly.
"It's a bit crow­ded down this way. The­re's this so­ci­ety wed­ding ...
That brings out the crowds. The Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le is get­ting mar­ri­ed. I think the Emp­ress will be the­re. It's the Prin­ces­se de Cres­pigny he's mar­rying."
"I had he­ard that," I told him.
"I'd ke­ep out of the way, if I we­re you. You'll see not­hing but the crowd."
I than­ked him for his ad­vi­ce, pa­id him and aligh­ted at the Sa­in­teC­ha­pel­le.
For on­ce I for­got to mar­vel that this old bu­il­ding had sto­od the­re for six hund­red ye­ars and ma­de my way in the di­rec­ti­on of Not­re Da­me.
The crowds we­re thick. I tho­ught: I was a fo­ol to ha­ve co­me. I shall see not­hing-and in any ca­se I don't want to.
But the­re I was mis­ta­ken. The­re was a sud­den hush in the crowd and then a sho­ut. I saw them in an open car­ri­age. He lo­oked mag­ni­fi­cent.
I had to ad­mit that. He was we­aring so­me uni­form of blue with gold bra­id which ma­de his ha­ir lo­ok fa­irer than I re­mem­be­red it, and on his he­ad was a coc­ked hat which might ha­ve be­en an ad­mi­ral's. I had known he was con­nec­ted with the Navy. Pro­bably an ho­no­rary post, I ima­gi­ned.
And the­re se­ated be­si­de him was Ma­rie-Cla­ude lo­oking very be­a­uti­ful in a gown of whi­te sa­tin sewn with pe­arls and a he­ad-dress of la­ces and li­li­es-of-the- val­ley.
The crowd ga­ve a che­er. I sta­red at him. He didn't see me, of co­ur­se; and if he had, what wo­uld it ha­ve mat­te­red to him?
The car­ri­age pas­sed out of sight and the crowd was dis­per­sing; and I felt a gre­at de­si­re to go in­si­de the cat­hed­ral and be qu­i­et for a whi­le. I must stop myself thin­king of them. It was no con­cern of mi­ne.
Poor lit­tle Ma­rie-Cla­ude. She had be­en for­ced in­to mar­rying him but the­re was not­hing mo­re an­yo­ne co­uld do abo­ut that.
It was stran­ge how qu­ickly the crowds had go­ne. I went to the porch and lo­oked up at the fa­ce of the de­mon . the most wic­ked of them all.
As I watc­hed, the sto­ne se­emed to chan­ge and ta­ke on the sha­pe of his fe­atu­res. It was li­ke a rep­li­ca of the dra­wing I had ma­de.
I went in­si­de and sat down. I tri­ed to su­pe­rim­po­se ot­her ima­ges on that of them sit­ting to­get­her si­de by si­de in the car­ri­age. but I co­uld not do this. The mar­ri­age of op­po­si­tes I tho­ught, and I be­li­eved the­re wo­uld be lit­tle hap­pi­ness for eit­her of them. I was not con­cer­ned for him. He de­ser­ved not­hing but re­ven­ge. But I was very sorry for the Prin­ces­se.
Stop thin­king of them! The­re was one char­ming story I had he­ard of a hund­red po­or girls to whom Lo­u­is the Six­te­enth had gi­ven a dowry on the oc­ca­si­on of the­ir mar­ri­ages as a thanks­gi­ving for the birth of his da­ugh­ter, Ma­rie The­re­se Char­lot­te. He had be­en pre­sent at the wed­ding of tho­se girls he­re in Not­re Da­me and had se­aled the­ir mar­ri­age li­cen­ces with his fle­ur-de­lis or­na­men­ted sword. A hund­red yo­ung men ad­van­cing, each gi­ving a hand to one of the wa­iting girls it must ha­ve be­en an enc­han­ting sight.
It was ra­re that the cat­hed­ral saw such char­ming events, and I im­me­di­ately tho­ught of a mo­re re­cent one when, se­venty ye­ars be­fo­re, du­ring the re­vo­lu­ti­on, the cat­hed­ral had be­en tur­ned in­to a Temp­le of Re­ason and a har­lot se­ated on a lit­ter had be­en car­ri­ed in, whi­le half na­ked wo­men and men dan­ced obs­ce­nely aro­und her in the na­me of Li­berty.
I had a sud­den de­si­re to lo­ok down on the city, every as­pect of which was of gre­at fas­ci­na­ti­on to me, and I left the dark­ness of the ex­te­ri­or and fo­und my way to the tur­ret from which one can lo­ok down.
It was si­lent as I en­te­red the dark tur­ret and star­ted to climb the sta­irs. The­re was a chill in the air. I co­un­ted the steps and when I was half­way up I tho­ught I he­ard so­me­one la­bo­uring up be­hind me. I sup­po­se that was na­tu­ral. Why sho­uld I be the only one who tho­ught it worthw­hi­le ma­king this long climb up to the sum­mit to lo­ok down on Fresh air at last! Oh, in­de­ed the vi­ew was mag­ni­fi­cent. I co­uld lo­ok right down on Pa­ris and on eit­her si­de of me we­re the north and so­uth banks. I co­uld see the Ma­ra­is be­hind the To­ur Sa­int-Jac­qu­es to the north and in the so­uth the Rue de Bi­ev­re and the Bo­ule­vard St. Mic­hel with the dist­rict which lay bet­we­en.
While I sto­od the­re I was awa­re of so­me­one be­si­de me. My he­art star­ted to ham­mer and for a mo­ment I felt as tho­ugh I was unab­le to mo­ve.
Terror se­ized me, as it had when I had sud­denly re­ali­zed the man in the blue co­at and whi­te hat was no or­di­nary coc­ker.
Then a vo­ice sa­id: "You re­mem­ber me?"
I tur­ned. I was lo­oking in­to the fa­ce of Ni­co­le St. Gi­les.
"I think I start­led you," she went on.
"Yes. I ... I tho­ught I was alo­ne up he­re."
"People don't of­ten tra­il up tho­se steps. Do you know the­re are three hund­red and ni­nety-se­ven of them?"
"It se­emed li­ke a tho­usand." Aa She la­ug­hed.
"I was so ple­ased to see you in the crowd, but you didn't see me. I saw you start up the sta­irs and I gu­es­sed you we­re co­ming to lo­ok at the vi­ew. You're at the Du­ponts' in Co­ur­cel­les, I be­li­eve?"
"Yes," I sa­id; and I tho­ught: She wo­uld know, of co­ur­se. She was at the cha­te­au when it was ar­ran­ged. How much mo­re did she know?
"I co­uldn't re­sist co­ming to see the wed­ding," she sa­id.
"Couldn't you?" I lo­oked at her se­arc­hingly. Did she ca­re very much?
She did not se­em to.
"I ho­pe it's a suc­cess," she sa­id, and I no­ti­ced she had not sa­id that she ho­ped they wo­uld be happy.
I shrug­ged my sho­ul­ders.
"I ho­pe, too, that you will co­me and see me whi­le you are in Pa­ris. I ha­ve a ho­use on the Left Bank. Let me gi­ve you a card. It's not very far from the Sor­bon­ne and ne­ar the Lu­xem­bo­urg Gar­dens. Qu­ite ple­asant."
"You li­ve the­re ... all the ti­me."
"Yes, now. All the ti­me."
I tho­ught: It is over for you then. You are just thrown asi­de.
But she se­emed very happy.
"How are the port­ra­its go­ing?"
"Quite well. I ha­ve do­ne the el­der yo­ung lady. Now I ha­ve the yo­un­ger and then the­re is a co­usin. I think it bet­ter for me to do the three be­fo­re I mo­ve on to the ho­use of Mon­si­e­ur Vil­lef­ranc­he.
"So you will be in Pa­ris for so­me ti­me yet. I think the Vil­lef­ranc­he ho­use is in the Ave­nue de 1" Al­ma just off the Champs-Elyse­es. " iqi "Yes that is so."
"You vvl^ be we^ ac­qu­a­in­ted with Pa­ris by the ti­me you ha­ve fi­nis­hed.
What shall you do af­ter the Vil­lef­ranc­he pic­tu­re? "
"Go ba-Gk to Eng­land un­less " Un­less the­re are ot­her com­mis­si­ons? I sho­uld think the­re might well be. I he­ar yo­ur na­me men­ti­oned a gre­at de­al. "
"Oh, do you?"
"Yes, with con­si­de­rab­le awe. The fact that you are a wo­man se­ems to ha­ve ad­ded a pi­qu­ancy. The Ba­ron saw to that."
I was si­lent.
"Do co­me and see me," she sa­id.
"I sho­uld lo­ve to show you my ho­use."
"Thank you." I to­ok the card and slip­ped it in­to the poc­ket of my co­at.
"I shall ex­pect you. I am re­al­ly very ple­ased that we ha­ve met aga­in."
"Thank you. Do you think it is a lit­tle chilly up he­re?"
"Yes, let's go down. Will you go first or shall I?"
I fol­lo­wed her down. I tho­ught how ele­gant she lo­oked, how se­re­ne.
But what was she re­al­ly fe­eling this dis­car­ded wo­man?
I had fi­nis­hed Sop­hie's port­ra­it and had be­gun that of Fran­co­ise when the fe­ar­ful cer­ta­inty ca­me to me. I was go­ing to ha­ve a child.
The hor­ror of this cras­hed down on me. It had be­en a fa­int black clo­ud in the sky for so­me lit­tle whi­le and then ca­me the cer­ta­inty. I sho­uld ha­ve re­ali­zed that it was highly pro­bab­le. I think I had felt that I co­uld not con­temp­la­te anyt­hing wor­se than what I had al­re­ady en­du­red and had re­fu­sed to lo­ok this pos­si­bi­lity in the fa­ce.
A child. His child! I had pro­mi­sed myself that I wo­uld for­get that hu­mi­li­ating in­ci­dent but as this had hap­pe­ned, it "I think I start­led you," she went on.
"Yes. I... I tho­ught I was alo­ne up he­re."
"People don't of­ten tra­il up tho­se steps. Do you know the­re are three hund­red and ni­nety-se­ven of them?"
"It se­emed li­ke a tho­usand."
She la­ug­hed.
"I was so ple­ased to see you in the crowd, but you didn't see me. I saw you start up the sta­irs and I gu­es­sed you we­re co­ming to lo­ok at the vi­ew. You're at the Du­ponts* in Co­ur­cel­les, I be­li­eve?"
"Yes," I sa­id; and I tho­ught: She wo­uld know, of co­ur­se. She was at the cha­te­au when it was ar­ran­ged. How much mo­re did she know? "I co­uldn't re­sist co­ming to see the wed­ding," she sa­id.
"Couldn't you?" I lo­oked at her se­arc­hingly. Did she ca­re ; very much? She did not se­em to.
"I ho­pe it's a suc­cess," she sa­id, and I no­ti­ced she had not sa­id that she ho­ped they wo­uld be happy. ;
I shrug­ged my sho­ul­ders.
"I ho­pe, too, that you will co­me and see me whi­le you are in Pa­ris. I ha­ve a ho­use on the Left Bank. Let me gi­ve you a; card. It's not very far from the Sor­bon­ne and ne­ar the^ Lu­xem­bo­urg Gar­dens. Qu­ite ple­asant. " ;
"You li­ve the­re ... all the ti­me." ;
"Yes, now. All the ti­me." S I tho­ught: It is over for you then. You are just thrown':] asi­de. ^ But she se­emed very happy. ^, "How are the port­ra­its go­ing?" j "Qu­ite well. I ha­ve do­ne the el­der yo­ung lady. Now I ha­vens the yo­un­ger and then the­re is a co­usin. I think it bet­ter for­mer to do the three be­fo­re I mo­ve on to the ho­use of Mon­si­e­ur'] Vil­lef­ranc­he. ;' " So you will be in Pa­ris for so­me ti­me yet. I think the';
Villefranche ho­use is in the Ave­nue de 1"Alma just off the Champs-Elyse­es." ^;
"Yes, that is so."
"You wu! be well ac­qu­a­in­ted with Pa­ris by the ti­me you ha­ve fi­nis­hed.
What shall you do af­ter the Vil­lef­ranc­he pic­tu­re? "
"Go back to Eng­land un­less " Un­less the­re are ot­her com­mis­si­ons? I sho­uld think the­re might well be. I he­ar yo­ur na­me men­ti­oned a gre­at de­al. "
"Oh, do you?"
"Yes, with con­si­de­rab­le awe. The fact that you are a wo­man se­ems to ha­ve ad­ded a pi­qu­ancy. The Ba­ron saw to that."
I was si­lent.
"Do co­me and see me," she sa­id.
"I sho­uld lo­ve to show you my ho­use."
"Thank you." I to­ok the card and slip­ped it in­to the poc­ket of my co­at.
"I shall ex­pect you. I am re­al­ly very ple­ased that we ha­ve met aga­in."
"Thank you. Do you think it is a lit­tle chilly up he­re?"
"Yes, let's go down. Will you go first or shall I?"
I fol­lo­wed her down. I tho­ught how ele­gant she lo­oked, how se­re­ne.
But what was she re­al­ly fe­eling- this dis­car­ded wo­man?
I had fi­nis­hed Sop­hie's port­ra­it and had be­gun that of Fran­co­ise when the fe­ar­ful cer­ta­inty ca­me to me. I was go­ing to ha­ve a child.
The hor­ror of this cras­hed down on me. It had be­en a fa­int black clo­ud in the sky for so­me lit­tle whi­le and then ca­me the ^ftsinty. I sho­uld ha­ve re­ali­zed that it was highly pro­bab­le. I think I had felt that I co­uld not con­temp­la­te anyt­hing wor­se than what I had al­re­ady en­du­red and had re­fu­sed to lo­ok this pos­si­bi­lity in the fa­ce.
A child. His child! I had pro­mi­sed myself that I wo­uld ror­ge^ (hat hu­mi­li­ating in­ci­dent but as this had hap­pe­ned, it wo­uld me­an that that ter­rib­le in­ter­lu­de wo­uld be with me for the rest of my li­fe.
It now se­emed an ine­vi­tab­le con­se­qu­en­ce. We had be­en to­get­her for three nights . three nights of in­ces­sant ra­pe, I cal­led it. And now a child . li­ving evi­den­ce of what had hap­pe­ned to me.
Had he tho­ught of this? I was su­re he had. He had tho­ught I was go­ing to marry Bert­rand and had no do­ubt con­si­de­red that it wo­uld be rat­her amu­sing for me to be­ar a child to whom Bert­rand co­uld gi­ve his na­me.
There was, ho­we­ver, to be no mar­ri­age. I had not he­ard from Bert­rand and I felt that I ne­ver wo­uld. I did not want to re­al­ly.
But now . what was I go­ing to do? I, an un­mar­ri­ed wo­man, was to be­ar a child.
I was ama­zed that I co­uld work, but I did. I co­uld throw myself who­le­he­ar­tedly in­to work and for­get everyt­hing whi­le I was thus en­ga­ged. The­re was not­hing for me but that yo­ung fa­ce which I had to pro­du­ce for im­mor­ta­lity. A hund­red ye­ars from this mo­ment pe­op­le wo­uld lo­ok at my mi­ni­atu­re ofF­ran­co­ise and know how she had lo­oked at this ti­me.
My work so­ot­hed me; in a way it re­vi­ta­li­zed me; it to­ok stra­in from my mind; it ga­ve me bles­sed for­get­ful­ness of a fu­tu­re which must be fra­ught with dif­fi­cul­ti­es.
But as so­on as I had ce­ased to work the clo­uds set­tled ro­und me.
Perhaps I had ma­de a mis­ta­ke. In my he­art I knew it was no mis­ta­ke.
Something had war­ned me when I had se­en him in the car­ri­age with Ma­rie-Cla­ude that I had not se­en the last of him.
I spent a lot of ti­me in my ro­om. So­on I sho­uld ha­ve to pass on to the ho­use of Mon­si­e­ur Vil­lef­ranc­he. Af­ter that I wo­uld go ho­me. I tri­ed to ima­gi­ne myself tel­ling my fat­her and Cla­re.
How co­uld I do that? Well-bro­ught-up yo­ung la­di­es did not sud­denly an­no­un­ce that they we­re abo­ut to gi­ve birth to a bas­tard.
I he­ard myself tel­ling my fat­her: "I was ab­duc­ted, for­ced to sub­mit to the wic­ked Ba­ron. This is the re­sult."
It so­un­ded fe­eb­le. Why had I sa­id not­hing abo­ut it un­til now? The in­fe­ren­ce wo­uld be that I had wil­lingly dal­li­ed with the Ba­ron kno­wing full well that he was bet­rot­hed to the Prin­ces­se.
"I ha­te him! I ha­te him!" I sa­id alo­ud and then la­ug­hed at myself.
What was the use of re­vi­ling him now?
But what was I go­ing to do?
Here I was on the brink of a gre­at ca­re­er and this had hap­pe­ned to me.
If it hadn't I co­uld ha­ve for­got­ten in ti­me. Per­haps I co­uld ha­ve set­tled down to a nor­mal li­fe with so­me­one el­se, alt­ho­ugh at the mo­ment I felt that to be im­pos­sib­le. He had da­ma­ged me men­tal­ly as well as physi­cal­ly, I had he­ard this co­uld hap­pen. He had ma­de me shrink from men be­ca­use if ever one ap­pro­ac­hed me I sho­uld see his fa­ce le­ering at me, lo­oking li­ke the de­mon-gar­goy­le of Not­re Da­me.
As I con­si­de­red the imp­li­ca­ti­ons of what had hap­pe­ned to me I be­gan to get frigh­te­ned. I had ti­me to pon­der, it was true. Mo­re­over, i had anot­her port­ra­it to do be­fo­re I re­tur­ned to Eng­land so had not to go im­me­di­ately. I kept won­de­ring how I co­uld tell my fat­her. He wo­uld be kindly and un­ders­tan­ding, I knew; but he wo­uld be very shoc­ked and I did not see how I co­uld stay at Col­li­son Ho­use with all the vil­la­ge kno­wing abo­ut my child.
I wal­ked a gre­at de­al du­ring tho­se days. I had plenty of ti­me to myself, and if I wor­ked all mor­ning I did not ta­ke up my brush du­ring the rest of the day. In the early af­ter­no­on I ne­ed re­la­xa­ti­on and I ne­ver felt the light was go­od eno­ugh af­ter fo­ur o'clock.
I had lost my eager in­te­rest in the city. I wo­uld walk wit­ho­ut even se­e­ing the obj­ects of be­a­uty and an­ti­qu­ity. I was conf­ron­ted all the ti­me by my own se­emingly in­so­lub­le prob­lem.
One af­ter­no­on I sat down out­si­de the Ca­fe Ang­la­is whe­re lit­tle tab­les had be­en set up un­der pink and whi­te suns­ha­des. It was get­ting a lit­tle chilly now, for we we­re well in­to Sep­tem­ber and the­re was a to­uch of autumn in the air. I won­de­red va­gu­ely how much lon­ger one wo­uld be ab­le to sit in the stre­ets and watch the pe­op­le pass by as one drank a cup of cpffee.
I was sit­ting the­re, de­ep in tho­ught, when a vo­ice cal­led out: "Why, hel­lo. It's you aga­in." It was Ni­co­le St. Gi­les.
"May I sit with you?" she went on.
"I'd li­ke a cup of cof­fee." She cal­led to the gar­con to bring it to her; then she tur­ned to me.
"You lo­ok wor­ri­ed. Isn't the pic­tu­re go­ing well?"
"Yes, the pic­tu­re is go­ing very well."
"How for­tu­na­te you are to be so gif­ted! I sup­po­se you fe­el that ha­ving this gift... well, it's a com­pen­sa­ti­on for so many things, isn't it... al­most everyt­hing?"
She was lo­oking at me ste­adily and af­ter a slight pa­use she sa­id: "Do tell me what's wrong. I'd li­ke to help if I can."
Perhaps it was the kind­li­ness in her fa­ce. Per­haps it was the gent­le­ness in her vo­ice as she to­ok my hand and pres­sed it. It might ha­ve be­en be­ca­use I was so des­pe­ra­te. In any ca­se, I clutc­hed her hand and sa­id: "I am go­ing to ha­ve a child."
She lo­oked at me in­tently and sa­id: "We can't talk he­re very well."
I sho­ok my he­ad.
"I don't know why I told you."
Her cof­fee had co­me and she stir­red it ab­sent­min­dedly.
"You told me be­ca­use you had to tell so­me­one," she sa­id.
"I'm so glad I ca­me along then. Go­me to my ho­use. The­re we can talk in com­fort.
Don't worry. I am su­re I can be of help. It's not such an unu­su­al sta­te of af­fa­irs you know. It has hap­pe­ned be­fo­re . many ti­mes.
The thing is to ke­ep a co­ol he­ad. "
Strangely eno­ugh I felt tre­men­do­usly re­li­eved, and when she had fi­nis­hed her cof­fee and the bill was pa­id she hi­red a cab and we sped away to­get­her.
The cab pul­led up in one of the stre­ets le­ading from the Bo­ule­vard St.
Michel. We we­re be­fo­re a whi­te ho­use of so­me fo­ur sto­ri­es.
"Here we are," sa­id Ni­co­le, and led the way up three steps to a do­or gu­ar­ded by li­ons. She ope­ned the do­or and we we­re in a hall of qu­ite lar­ge pro­por­ti­ons with a mo­ul­ded ce­iling which was de­ci­dedly ele­gant.
A do­or ope­ned and a man whom my know­led­ge of the city im­me­di­ately told me was a con­ci­er­ge ap­pe­ared.
He sa­id go­od day to Ma­da­me St. Gi­les and eyed me cu­ri­o­usly whi­le we pas­sed in­to a ro­om with long win­dows lo­oking out on a pa­tio in which grew pot­ted plants.
There was a grand pi­ano in one cor­ner, se­ve­ral set­te­es, com­for­tab­le-lo­oking cha­irs, and one or two tab­les; an or­mo­lu clock chi­med fo­ur on the man­tel­pi­ece over the fi­rep­la­ce and on eit­her si­de of it we­re fi­gu­ri­nes, flimsy dra­pe­ri­es co­ve­ring the­ir ana­tomy in tho­se sec­ti­ons which it wo­uld ha­ve be­en con­si­de­red, in po­li­te so­ci­ety, im­mo­dest to re­ve­al.
She cer­ta­inly had a com­for­tab­le- even lu­xu­ri­o­us ho­me.
"Do sit down," she sa­id, 'and tell me. "
I told her frankly what had hap­pe­ned. She nod­ded as I went along, and what was so com­for­ting, did not qu­es­ti­on anyt­hing but be­li­eved all I sa­id. Of co­ur­se, she knew the Ba­ron as well as an­yo­ne co­uld.
She sa­id at length: "It's not an easy si­tu­ati­on, but you can ma­na­ge."
"Manage!" I cri­ed.
"I don't know what to do. I co­uld go ho­me, I sup­po­se. Can you ima­gi­ne what it wo­uld be li­ke in a small con­fi­ned Eng­lish vil­la­ge."
"Very much what it wo­uld be li­ke in a small con­fi­ned French one," she sa­id.
"But of' co­ur­se you won't go back the­re."
"How how ... whe­re ..."
She lo­oked at me and smi­led. I had al­ways tho­ught she had a swe­et smi­le.
"Will you let me help ... ad­vi­se?"
"I am in such a sta­te of an­xi­ety that I wo­uld wel­co­me any help and ad­vi­ce."
"Don't pa­nic," she sa­id.
"Remember it is not an unu­su­al si­tu­ati­on."
"You me­an ... ra­pe ... and such con­se­qu­en­ces."
"I re­al­ly me­ant res­pec­tab­le yo­ung wo­men fin­ding them­sel­ves preg­nant.
You are for­tu­na­te. You ha­ve yo­ur work. That must be a gre­at so­la­ce.
Moreover, it is a me­ans of li­ve­li­ho­od . qu­ite a go­od li­ve­li­ho­od I ima­gi­ne. "
"It is be­co­ming so."
"And it will go on get­ting bet­ter and bet­ter. You are on the ro­ad to fa­me and for­tu­ne. This ... mat­ter ... must not in­ter­fe­re with that."
"I don't see how."
"I do. Be­ca­use you are go­ing to let me help."
"I ha­ve no idea what I... or an­yo­ne ... can do. He­re I am a stran­ger in this city. I shall work whi­le I can. Then I sup­po­se I must go ho­me.
I know my fat­her will help but it will be a gre­at shock for him. He has had one shock. His eyes . you know. "
"Yes, I do know." She le­aned to­wards me and to­uc­hed my hand bri­efly.
"Will you ... let me be yo­ur fri­end?"
I lo­oked at her in as­to­nish­ment.
"It is dif­fi­cult for me to say all I fe­el," she went on.
"You pro­bably re­gard me as lit­tle mo­re than a stran­ger. I don't fe­el we are. You know a go­od de­al abo­ut me. I know of you. And we both know the Ba­ron . in­ti­ma­tely."
"Please, I don't want to talk abo­ut that wretc­hed ex­pe­ri­en­ce."
"I un­ders­tand. Lis­ten. I am alo­ne he­re. You are in this si­tu­ati­on.
Please let me help you? "
"How co­uld you?"
"To be­gin with I co­uld talk to you. It is al­ways a go­od idea to dis­cuss the­se mat­ters, to con­si­der what is the best way of tack­ling them. I know Pa­ris very well. I wo­uld know whe­re you co­uld go to ha­ve yo­ur baby. I ha­ve this ho­use. It is lar­ge. I don't use it all. I ha­ve tho­ught of let­ting part of it. At night it se­ems so qu­i­et he­re.
Sometimes I gi­ve par­ti­es. I La­ve many ac­qu­a­in­tan­ces . pe­op­le I knew in the past. but very few re­al fri­ends. I am put­ting a pro­po­si­ti­on to you. I know I can help you. Ta­ke so­me ro­oms in this ho­use. Ma­ke one yo­ur stu­dio. You ne­ed qu­ar­ters in Pa­ris. You want pe­op­le to co­me to you to be pa­in­ted. You don't want to go to the­ir ho­uses just when they call you. You ha­ve to set yo­ur­self up as a gre­at ar­tist . act li­ke a gre­at ar­tist . li­ve li­ke one. Now this wo­uld be a go­od ad­dress for you. We are on the Left Bank. that is whe­re the in­tel­lec­tu­al pe­op­le are gat­he­ring . cle­rics, pro­fes­sors, stu­dents, ar­tists are he­re . I am tal­king too much. "
"Of co­ur­se you are not. Ple­ase go on. It is so kind of you. I co­uld see no way out of my prob­lem ... I don't know why you ta­ke so much tro­ub­le abo­ut me."
She was si­lent for a mo­ment, then she sa­id.
"In a way we are both .. vic­tims. No, I mustn't say that. It's not true."
"You me­an of the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le."
"It is not fa­ir to say that I am a vic­tim. I'll exp­la­in all that to you so­me ti­me, but now let us think of you. I re­ali­ze this is all very sud­den and you want ti­me to think abo­ut it. But re­al­ly, Ka­te ... May I call you Ka­te? ... I think we are go­ing to be go­od fri­ends. You ha­ve a gre­at de­al of plan­ning to do and the so­oner you be­gin the bet­ter."
"You talk as tho­ugh everyt­hing is so simp­le."
"I wo­uldn't say that, but most things are not as dif­fi­cult as one first tho­ught if they are ap­pro­ac­hed in a sen­sib­le and re­alis­tic way."
"But I am go­ing to ha­ve a child}' "I al­ways lon­ged for child­ren," she sa­id.
"I co­uld envy you."
"This child will be the re­sult of so­met­hing I want mo­re than anyt­hing to for­get. If only I co­uld go back in ti­me. If only I had go­ne stra­ight ho­me ins­te­ad of ma­king that jo­ur­ney ..."
Again she to­uc­hed my hand.
"Don't think back. Think for­ward."
I con­temp­la­ted her ear­nest fa­ce. I was a lit­tle un­su­re as I must be of anyt­hing con­nec­ted with the Ba­ron, and I re­min­ded myself that she had be­en his mist­ress and pro­bably his con­fi­dan­te. How co­uld I be su­re that this was not so­me fresh plot?
She un­ders­to­od the trend of my tho­ughts.
"You'll want to con­si­der this very ca­re­ful­ly," she sa­id.
"Go back now. The con­ci­er­ge will get a cab for you. You ha­ve my ad­dress. Think abo­ut everyt­hing. The­re is an at­tic right on the ro­of­tops with plenty of glass. It was bu­ilt for an ar­tist. I will help you ... ha­ving the child. I can put you in to­uch with the pe­op­le you will ne­ed. You can ma­ke this yo­ur ho­me, and let me tell you that in this part of Pa­ris you are not ex­pec­ted to li­ve the con­ven­ti­onal li­fe that you wo­uld be in the Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int- Ho­no­re. You co­uld work he­re. Yo­ur pat­rons co­uld co­me to be pa­in­ted. It is a pro­po­si­ti­on. But I do un­ders­tand that you will ne­ed ti­me to de­ci­de."
"It is very grand," I sa­id.
"Should I be ab­le to af­ford it?"
"My de­ar Ka­te, you ne­ed to be grand to show how suc­ces­sful you are, and if you are suc­ces­sful you will be ab­le to af­ford it. Co­me. You ne­ed to con­temp­la­te all this. Such de­ci­si­ons sho­uld not be ma­de lightly."
"I ha­ve a gre­at de­al of thin­king to do, I know."
She nod­ded in ag­re­ement.
"Go now," she sa­id.
"You ha­ve my ad­dress. You know whe­re to find me."
"But how can I thank you."
She saw me in­to the cab.
"Remember," she sa­id.
"You are not alo­ne ... un­less you want to be. I will be yo­ur fri­end if you want me. It is for you to de­ci­de."
That en­co­un­ter chan­ged everyt­hing. I co­uld see be­fo­re me an ave­nue of es­ca­pe, ho­we­ver bi­zar­re it se­emed. I oc­cu­pi­ed myself du­ring the next few days thin­king abo­ut it. It was a mercy that whi­le I wor­ked I was ab­le to shut out everyt­hing el­se but the port­ra­it.
The mo­re I tho­ught of Ni­co­le's sug­ges­ti­on, the mo­re pos­sib­le it ap­pe­ared. It se­emed the only pos­si­bi­lity. I went to see Ni­co­le aga­in.
She was de­ligh­ted that I had co­me and I fan­ci­ed that my pre­di­ca­ment had gi­ven her a new in­te­rest in li­fe which she badly ne­eded at this ti­me.
True, I was a lit­tle sus­pi­ci­o­us. Su­rely an­yo­ne who had be­en tre­ated as I had wo­uld be. This was chi­efly be­ca­use of her past con­nec­ti­on with the Ba­ron. Ever­yo­ne who had be­en ne­ar to him co­uld be pol­lu­ted.
On my se­cond vi­sit, she sa­id: "I want you to co­me, Ka­te. I want to help you. I'm fe­eling very lo­nely .. la­tely."
"Because of... him?"
"I was with him for eight ye­ars. It's a long ti­me. You don't spe­ak. I can see that you do not un­ders­tand."
"I un­ders­tand per­fectly. We we­re both used by him. You hap­pe­ned to ag­ree and I did not."
"Yes, I sup­po­se you co­uld say that. But don't was­te yo­ur sympathy on me. I knew this wo­uld hap­pen even­tu­al­ly. He wo­uld marry and that wo­uld be the ti­me for me to di­sap­pe­ar. It was un­ders­to­od from the first."
"Do you me­an it was a sort of cont­ract?"
"Not in the usu­al un­ders­tan­ding of such a term. My mot­her was ... well, not exactly a co­ur­te­san. Shall we say a de­mi­mon­da­ine She was the mist­ress of a gre­at nob­le­man. He pro­vi­ded for her and lo­oked af­ter her when her ser­vi­ces we­re no lon­ger re­qu­ired. It was a li­fe she was bred to. So was I. I was mar­ri­ed when I was se­ven­te­en to Jac­qu­es St.
Giles.
He was a res­pec­tab­le yo­ung man who wor­ked in one of our banks. We li­ved to­get­her for a ye­ar, but it was ne­ver me­ant to last. My mot­her wan­ted me to marry. I wo­uld then ha­ve a right to call myself Ma­da­me which, she al­ways sa­id, gent­le­men pre­fer­red to Ma­de­mo­isel­le. A yo­ung girl co­uld ma­ke de­mands which a mar­ri­ed wo­man co­uld not so mar­ri­age ma­de the si­tu­ati­on so much mo­re com­for­tab­le. "
"It all se­ems rat­her cyni­cal."
"Call it re­alis­tic. Then I was int­ro­du­ced to the Ba­ron by my mot­her, who ho­ped that I wo­uld ple­ase him. I did. I had be­en well edu­ca­ted, bro­ught up to ap­pre­ci­ate art and to be what is cal­led a cul­ti­va­ted wo­man. I was ta­ught how to carry myself, how to dress, how to con­ver­se with gra­ce. That was the the­me of my edu­ca­ti­on ... to ple­ase. Well, it is what I did. And he­re I am. Thirty ye­ars of age, with my own ho­use and a com­for­tab­le set­tle­ment. I ne­ed ne­ver work aga­in as long as I li­ve. You might say I was bro­ught up in a re­war­ding pro­fes­si­on, one which brings go­od re­turns and se­cu­rity. Bet­ter, I was al­ways ta­ught, than be­co­ming a drud­ge and mot­her of many child­ren. Do you un­ders­tand?"
"I still think it very mer­ce­nary and, I must con­fess, im­mo­ral."
"Oh, you will ne­ver un­ders­tand. I don't sup­po­se this sort of thing wo­uld hap­pen in Eng­land. It's part of French li­fe the li­fe of the de­mi­mon­da­ine I was born in­to it. I fo­und a ge­ne­ro­us lo­ver ... and he­re I am. I see you are mo­re than a lit­tle shoc­ked. Ple­ase don't be and don't be sorry for me. It was a very ple­asant li­fe."
"With that man!"
"Let me tell you I be­ca­me qu­ite fond of him. I be­gan to le­arn so­met­hing abo­ut him."
"And that ma­de you fond of him?"
"It ma­de me see why he was the man he was."
"And you co­uld re­al­ly be fond of such a man?"
"Kate, what he did to you was un­for­gi­vab­le. Don't think I don't re­ali­ze that. If it had hap­pe­ned to me . and I had be­en li­ke you . I sho­uld ha­ve felt the sa­me. "
"It was monst­ro­us," I sa­id fi­er­cely.
"It is tre­ating pe­op­le abo­ut him as tho­ugh they are of no im­por­tan­ce be­yond the use they can be to him.
It is pic­king them up . exp­lo­iting them . and then thro­wing them asi­de. "
"I know. It was his upb­rin­ging. His fat­her and his grand­fat­her we­re li­ke that. He was bro­ught up to be­li­eve that that was the way men such as they we­re be­ha­ved."
"It is ti­me so­me­one ta­ught them dif­fe­rently."
"No one will ever do that. You see how it is now. A word from the Ba­ron and-ever­yo­ne ac­cla­ims you. He has po­wer ... even in the­se days he has it."
"You me­an mo­ney! Po­si­ti­on!"
"Yes, but mo­re than that. It is so­met­hing in his per­so­na­lity. If you co­uld un­ders­tand you wo­uld re­ali­ze why he is the way he is."
"I don't ca­re why. It is be­ca­use he is that way that he mad­dens me. He sho­uld be pu­nis­hed, ta­ken to law."
"Would you be pre­pa­red to go to law, to ac­cu­se him of ra­pe? Wo­uld you stand up in a co­urt? Think of the qu­es­ti­ons they wo­uld ask. Why did you not comp­la­in at the ti­me? That is what they wo­uld ask. You wo­uld hurt yo­ur­self mo­re than you co­uld hurt him. Be prac­ti­cal. Don't go on bro­oding on what has hap­pe­ned. Think of what you are go­ing to do now."
I sa­id: "I shall so­on ha­ve fi­nis­hed Fran­co­ise's port­ra­it. The­re is to be a ball. The mi­ni­atu­res will be shown the­re."
"What the Ba­ron do­es to­day the world do­es to­mor­row. Ma­da­me Du­pont is sla­vishly cop­ying the style he sets. Ne­ver mind. It's all to the go­od.
It may well bring in fresh bu­si­ness. From that ball I'll swe­ar you get two mo­re de­fi­ni­te com­mis­si­ons at le­ast and per­haps many mo­re. "
"After that I le­ave for the ho­use of Mon­si­e­ur Vil­lef­ranc­he for his wi­fe's pic­tu­re."
"And then?"
"I sho­uld go ho­me and see my fat­her."
"And tell him?"
"I don't know whet­her I co­uld do that. Per­haps when I co­me fa­ce to fa­ce with him I shall know whet­her or not I can tell him."
"And if you co­uld not?"
I tur­ned to her.
"You ha­ve be­en so kind to me .. : so help­ful."
"I ho­pe I shall be yo­ur fri­end."
"I can tell you that sin­ce our me­eting I ha­ve felt so much bet­ter. You ha­ve ma­de me re­ali­ze that I ha­ve to stop lo­oking back. I ha­ve to plan.
I am af­ra­id I shall ha­te this child. "
She sho­ok her he­ad.
"Women li­ke you ne­ver ha­te the­ir child­ren. As so­on as this baby ar­ri­ves you will lo­ve it and for­get the way it ca­me."
"If it sho­uld lo­ok li­ke him ..."
"I will ma­ke a wa­ger. You will lo­ve this child mo­re be­ca­use of the prob­lems of its birth."
"You are a very worldly wo­man, Ni­co­le," I sa­id.
She smi­led at me and sa­id softly: "It is the best way to sur­vi­ve."
Madame Du­pont ga­ve her ball, which was to la­unch Emi­lie in­to so­ci­ety.
There we­re many gu­ests and I was tre­ated with gre­at res­pect. My work was ad­mi­red and Ni­co­le was right. Two pe­op­le ga­ve me de­fi­ni­te in­vi­ta­ti­ons to vi­sit the­ir ho­uses and pa­int port­ra­its.
I was ef­fu­si­vely comp­li­men­ted on the mi­ni­atu­res. Ma­da­me Du­pont had had them set in fra­mes em­bel­lis­hed with di­amonds and ru­bi­es. She co­uld hardly copy the Ba­ron so bla­tantly as to cho­ose sap­phi­res, but I felt su­re she wo­uld ha­ve li­ked to.
However, it was very sa­tis­fac­tory and I co­uld see that I was re­al­ly be­ing pro­j­ec­ted in­to a suc­ces­sful ca­re­er.
How gra­tif­ying it wo­uld ha­ve be­en but for the part the Ba­ron had pla­yed in my li­fe. if only I had ne­ver met him! But then all this wo­uld not ha­ve hap­pe­ned if I had not.
I was me­eting Ni­co­le re­gu­larly and get­ting to li­ke her mo­re and mo­re.
She was frank abo­ut her­self. She told me she was lo­nely and wan­ted fri­ends­hip. Per­haps she felt a lit­tle re­sent­ful abo­ut be­ing cast off by the Ba­ron (altho­ugh she al­ways in­sis­ted that he was not to bla­me and that the po­si­ti­on had be­en un­ders­to­od from the first), per­haps she felt that we who had both known him wo­uld un­ders­tand each ot­her; ho­we­ver, the fri­ends­hip bet­we­en us no­uris­hed, and the mo­re I tho­ught of her pro­po­si­ti­on the mo­re it se­emed that it was the only ro­ad open to me.
I left the Du­ponts and went to the Vil­lef­ranc­he ho­use. Ma­da­me Vil­lef­ranc­he was a pretty lit­tle wo­man with a happy tem­pe­ra­ment and very con­ten­ted with her lot. She ga­ve me lit­tle dif­fi­culty and I was ab­le to pro­du­ce a very be­a­uti­ful pic­tu­re ot­her.
I was fe­eling mo­re calm now and no lon­ger awo­ke in a clo­ud of hor­ror.
Nicole had con­vin­ced me that with a lit­tle ca­re­ful plan­ning, I co­uld co­me thro­ugh the or­de­al which lay be­fo­re me. Mo­re­over, I was be­gin­ning to fe­el so­met­hing for the child, and I re­ali­zed that if I we­re to dis­co­ver it we­re all a mis­ta­ke af­ter all, my fe­elings wo­uld be very mi­xed.
Nicole was right. I sho­uld lo­ve the child when it ca­me, and the tho­ught of its co­ming ga­ve me a stran­ge sen­se of ful­fil­ment.
By the ti­me I had fi­nis­hed the Vil­lef­ranc­he port­ra­it I had ma­de up my mind that I wo­uld go to see my fat­her im­me­di­ately. I wo­uld stay at ho­me for a we­ek and then co­me back to carry out my next com­mis­si­on.
During that ti­me I wo­uld de­fi­ni­tely de­ci­de what I was go­ing to do.
Nicole sa­id that was a wi­se pro­ce­du­re.
It was the be­gin­ning of Oc­to­ber when I went back. I felt emo­ti­onal as the tra­in car­ri­ed me ac­ross the Ken­tish co­untry. I no­ti­ced that the hops had be­en gat­he­red in. They wo­uld be sto­ring them in the oast ho­uses scat­te­red ac­ross this part of the co­untry; and now was the ti­me for the fru­it to be gat­he­red in.
Ladders we­re prop­ped aga­inst the tre­es and rosy ap­ples and rus­sety pe­ars we­re be­ing pac­ked in­to bas­kets.
Home! I tho­ught. I shall miss it. But it is not so very far away. I can co­me back so­me­ti­mes. Ni­co­le will think of so­met­hing.
So much wo­uld de­pend on what hap­pe­ned wit­hin the next we­ek. If I co­uld bring myself to tell my fat­her, he might ha­ve so­me plan. Per­haps he and I co­uld go away to­get­her. No, that wo­uld not do. Be­si­des, how co­uld we li­ve? I knew he had sa­ved eno­ugh to li­ve on in a mo­dest way, but that wo­uld not inc­lu­de tra­vel­ling and how co­uld he li­ve away from Col­li­son Ho­use, and how co­uld I li­ve the­re with my child? It wo­uld be in the minds of ever­yo­ne in the vil­la­ge even if they we­re kind as I knew my fri­ends wo­uld be that my child was a bas­tard.
A warm wel­co­me was awa­iting me. How com­for­tab­le it was! Mo­re ho­mely than in Evie's day. A lit­tle un­tidy per­haps, but I co­uld only re­pe­at myself ho­mely. That was Cla­re's inf­lu­en­ce.
She ca­me out with my fat­her when I ar­ri­ved and they both hug­ged me tightly.
"It is won­der­ful to see you," sa­id my fat­her, and Cla­re ec­ho­ed:
"Wonderful, won­der­ful. Yo­ur ro­om is all re­ady. I ha­ve ma­de su­re the bed has had a go­od airing."
"Clare is al­ways fus­sing abo­ut airing." sa­id my fat­her fondly.
"She cod­dles us, in fact."
Clare tri­ed to lo­ok se­ve­re, which was im­pos­sib­le.
"It is so­met­hing I in­sist on," she sa­id.
I felt mo­re gra­te­ful to her than ever. Ha­ving so­me­one li­ke Cla­re to lo­ok af­ter everyt­hing at Col­li­son Ho­use ma­de my de­ci­si­on so much easi­er.
My fat­her wan­ted to know all that had hap­pe­ned. I told him abo­ut the port­ra­its I had do­ne and the new com­mis­si­ons I had. , He was comp­le­tely de­ligh­ted.
"Splendid! Splen­did!" he cri­ed.
"It's li­ke a mi­rac­le. Who wo­uld ha­ve tho­ught on the day we re­ce­ived that let­ter from Fran­ce all this wo­uld grow out of it."
Who in­de­ed? I tho­ught. And if only he knew what had grown out of it!
"It's the most won­der­ful thing that co­uld ha­ve hap­pe­ned to you, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"But for this you wo­uld ha­ve sta­yed he­re with me. No­body wo­uld ha­ve gi­ven you cre­dit for the work for ye­ars. It's chan­ged you, Ka­te. You even lo­ok dif­fe­rent."
"How dif­fe­rent?" I as­ked.
"Ready to fa­ce the world. Re­ady to ta­ke all it of­fers you."
"Can you see a dif­fe­ren­ce then?"
"I know you so well, my de­ar. You now lo­ok and talk li­ke the as­su­red ar­tist you are .. I wish I co­uld ha­ve se­en tho­se port­ra­its."
"I knew they we­re go­od," I sa­id.
"You ha­ve be­en do­ing fi­ne work for a long ti­me now."
"And what of you, Fat­her? What ha­ve you be­en do­ing?"
"I do a lit­tle pa­in­ting. I ha­ve ta­ken up lands­ca­pes and can ma­na­ge qu­ite well. One do­esn't ha­ve to pro­du­ce exactly what one se­es. If you miss so­met­hing you say, " That's art. This is not cop­ying"."
"And you enj­oy this lands­ca­pe pa­in­ting? I must see so­me of it."
"Well, we ha­ve plenty of ti­me for that."
"I ha­ve only a we­ek, you know. Then I must go back. I've pro­mi­sed."
"Yes, yes, of co­ur­se. You ha­ve to pa­int as many mi­ni­atu­res as you can whi­le this fas­hi­on for you lasts."
"Do you think it is just a fas­hi­on?"
"It may not be. In fact I think you're too go­od for that.
Let's say it be­gan as a fas­hi­on be­ca­use of the glo­wing com­ments of a man who­se opi­ni­on is res­pec­ted in art circ­les . and in so­ci­ety. "
"I ha­ve to ma­ke it mo­re than that, Fat­her."
"You are do­ing so. As I sa­id: Do as much as you can now. I am glad you fo­und ti­me to co­me and see me."
Now was the ti­me to tell him. He lo­oked al­most con­ten­ted. He had co­me to terms with his di­sa­bi­lity; he was fin­ding sa­tis­fac­ti­on in his lands­ca­pes. He wo­uld not be ab­le to con­ti­nue in­de­fi­ni­tely with them, of co­ur­se, but they we­re for­ming a ple­asant brid­ge for him. He was not go­ing to be ca­ta­pul­ted in­to blind­ness wit­ho­ut ha­ving ti­me to pre­pa­re for it. And I knew that my suc­cess had be­en the gre­atest help of all in this sad mat­ter. He co­uld be­ar his own di­sa­bi­lity whi­le he co­uld think of my car­rying on the fa­mily tra­di­ti­on.
I tho­ught in that mo­ment: "No, I can­not tell him. I ha­ve to play it Ni­co­le's way.
"There is so­met­hing I want to talk to you abo­ut, Fat­her," I sa­id.
"Do you re­mem­ber Ni­co­le St. Gi­les?"
"Wasn't she a fri­end of the Ba­ron?"
"Yes. He's mar­ri­ed now. He mar­ri­ed the Prin­ces­se. I saw so­met­hing of the wed­ding. But I wan­ted to talk to you abo­ut Ni­co­le. She is a very sop­his­ti­ca­ted wo­man and has a lar­gish ho­use on the Left Bank. I ha­ve be­co­me qu­ite fri­endly with her."
"A very ple­asant wo­man, as I re­mem­ber."
"She is very ple­asant. She has sug­ges­ted that it wo­uld be bet­ter for my ca­re­er if I to­ok a pla­ce of my own in Pa­ris ... as that is whe­re the work is. Her own ho­use is too big for her and she has of­fe­red to let me part of it."
He was si­lent for a few mo­ments. I felt my he­art be­at une­asily. I tho­ught: He do­esn't li­ke it. But the clo­ud pas­sed. He sa­id: "You ha­ve to plan yo­ur ca­re­er very ca­re­ful­ly, Ka­te. You're han­di­cap­ped by be­ing a wo­man. I've al­ways tho­ught that was fo­olish ... fo­olish and un­worthy. A go­od pa­in­ting is a go­od pa­in­ting, who­ever do­es it. You wo­uld li­ve the­re on yo­ur own, Ka­te?"
"Well, Ma­da­me St. Gi­les wo­uld be in the ho­use ... a sort of cha­pe­ro­ne."
"I see."
"Sharing the ho­use is her idea. The­re's an at­tic which co­uld be tur­ned in­to a stu­dio and a mag­ni­fi­cent ro­om whe­re I co­uld en­ter­ta­in cli­ents.
Madame St. Gi­les knows many pe­op­le and it is her opi­ni­on that if I just carry out com­mis­si­ons that co­me in the way they ha­ve so far the­re will be a ti­me when I shall run short of them. I sho­uld then re­turn to Eng­land . and obs­cu­rity. "
He lap­sed aga­in in­to si­len­ce for a few se­conds. Then he sa­id slowly:
"I think she may be right. It's a bit of a ven­tu­re. And, Ka­te, re­mem­ber, if it do­esn't work you can al­ways co­me ho­me."
I put my arms ro­und him and held him clo­se to me. How I ha­ted de­ce­iving him! But I simply co­uld not tell him that I was go­ing to ha­ve a child. He was hap­pi­er now than he had be­en sin­ce the fe­ar­ful dis­co­very. He was se­eking so many com­pen­sa­ti­ons. Be­ca­use he had lost his ke­en vi­si­on I was ta­king on the fa­mily mant­le. I was be­ing gi­ven my chan­ce which he re­ali­zed I might ne­ver ha­ve had. Evie had go­ne and at the ti­me that had se­emed a ca­la­mity but lo, he­re was Cla­re, to bring a war­mer at­mosp­he­re in­to the ho­use.
He was happy as things we­re and I had ma­de my de­ci­si­on.
It was mo­ving to see how ple­ased they all we­re to ha­ve me ho­me and yet in a way it ga­ve me an une­asy qu­alm to think of what I had to do. Mrs.
Baines had ma­de the usu­al ste­ak pud­ding, and as I knew the amo­unt I ate wo­uld be re­por­ted, I did my best.
I had to he­ar what was go­ing on in the vil­la­ge.
Clare knew a gre­at de­al abo­ut vil­la­ge li­fe. She had thrown her­self in­to it so who­le­he­ar­tedly. De­ar Cla­re, I sen­sed her de­light in ha­ving be­co­me part of a fa­mily, part of a com LO­VER mu­nity. She must ha­ve be­en very lo­nely be­fo­re co­ming to us.
Dick Me­adows was fully qu­ali­fi­ed now and the­re was a new cu­ra­te at the vi­ca­ra­ge. Dick was do­ing a stint as cu­ra­te so­mew­he­re in the Mid­lands and Fran­ces was still ke­eping ho­use for her fat­her.
"Poor Fran­ces," sa­id Cla­re with fe­eling, 'that will be her li­fe. "
Her eyes fil­led with te­ars of com­pas­si­on. She was, I knew, thin­king of what Fran­ces's li­fe wo­uld be . lo­oking af­ter her fat­her un­til she was mid­dle-aged, and when he di­ed it wo­uld be too la­te for her to ha­ve a li­fe ot­her own. A fa­te which be­fell many da­ugh­ters and co­uld ha­ve be­en Cla­re's own.
"And what of the twins?" I as­ked.
There was si­len­ce. I lo­oked from my fat­her to Cla­re.
"There was a tra­gedy," sa­id my fat­her.
"Poor Fa­ith."
"A tra­gedy!"
Clare sho­ok her he­ad and tur­ned ap­pe­alingly to my fat­her.
"You tell her," she beg­ged.
"It up­set Cla­re very much," sa­id my fat­her.
"She was one of the last pe­op­le to see her ali­ve."
"You me­an Fa­ith Cam­bor­ne is de­ad?"
"It was an ac­ci­dent," my fat­her exp­la­ined.
"You know Brac­ken's Le­ap."
Indeed I knew Brac­ken's Le­ap. It was al­ways for­bid­den to me when I was yo­ung.
"Don't go ne­ar the Le­ap!" I co­uld he­ar tho­se words now. They had be­en used so of­ten, Brac­ken's Le­ap was that spot whe­re the ro­ad wo­und up­wards to a high he­ad­land. It ro­se stark up from the val­ley be­low.
Someone had com­mit­ted su­ici­de the­re two hund­red ye­ars be­fo­re, and I had ne­ver known whet­her he had be­en na­med Brac­ken or whet­her it was so cal­led be­ca­use of the brac­ken which grew the­re.
"You me­an Fa­ith Cam­bor­ne ..."
"She fell," sa­id my fat­her.
"We don't know exactly whet­her it was an ac­ci­dent... or su­ici­de."
Q
"You me­an so­me­one may ha­ve ..."
"Oh, no, no, no! Whet­her she did it her­self or slip­ped and lost her ba­lan­ce ..."
"But she wo­uld ne­ver kill her­self. She was such a ti­mid cre­atu­re. Oh de­ar, what an aw­ful thing. Po­or Fa­ith! It is ter­rib­le when so­met­hing li­ke that hap­pens to so­me­one you ha­ve known."
I kept se­e­ing Fa­ith and I co­uldn't see Fa­ith wit­ho­ut Ho­pe. They we­re al­ways to­get­her. Fa­ith clin­ging to her twin as tho­ugh her li­fe de­pen­ded on that sup­port. Po­or, po­or Fa­ith.
Clare was cle­arly too over­co­me for spe­ech. I re­mem­be­red how fri­endly she had al­ways be­en with the twins.
"It's dan­ge­ro­us up the­re," my fat­her went on.
"They've fen­ced it off now."
"Rather li­ke shut­ting the stab­le do­or when the hor­se has run away," I com­men­ted.
"Oh po­or Fa­ith! What abo­ut Ho­pe and the doc­tor and his wi­fe?"
"Very cut up ... all of them. It's a go­od thing that Ho­pe is get­ting mar­ri­ed and go­ing away."
"Do you think that Fa­ith ... Do you think it was be­ca­use of Ho­pe's en­ga­ge­ment?"
"We don't know," rep­li­ed my fat­her.
"The ver­dict was ac­ci­den­tal de­ath.
It's bet­ter to le­ave it li­ke that for every­body's sa­ke. "
I nod­ded.
Clare was qu­i­etly crying.
I le­aned over and to­uc­hed her hands. She tur­ned her swim­ming eyes to me.
"She was my spe­ci­al fri­end," she sa­id.
"They both we­re ... but I think Fa­ith spe­ci­al­ly ... mo­re than Ho­pe. It was ter­rib­le."
There was si­len­ce at the tab­le. Then my fat­her sa­id: "I won­der what she wo­uld ha­ve do­ne when Ho­pe mar­ri­ed."
"Poor Fa­ith," sa­id Cla­re, 'she wo­uld ha­ve be­en lost wit­ho­ut her sis­ter.
"
My fat­her so­ught to chan­ge the su­bj­ect which so cle­arly up­set Cla­re.
He sa­id: "Ka­te has had a won­der­ful of­fer. So­me­one she met in Pa­ris has of­fe­red to rent her an apart­ment in the he­art of Pa­ris.
There is a stu­dio and everyt­hing that is ne­ces­sary for her work. She can ta­ke it for a whi­le and see how things work out. Com­mis­si­ons at the mo­ment are rol­ling in. "
Clare was smi­ling at me.
"Oh, Ka­te. I'm so happy for you. It is won­der­ful how everyt­hing is tur­ning out for you. I lo­ve to he­ar abo­ut that party when that ... what was he ... Ba­ron or so­me­one .. told them all what a gre­at ar­tist you are."
"It's not mo­re than she de­ser­ves," sa­id my fat­her.
"How will you li­ke li­ving in a fo­re­ign city ... away from ever­yo­ne?" as­ked Cla­re.
"I shall miss you all," I told her.
"But I shall co­me ho­me when I can.
And it se­ems to me the right. the only thing . to do. "
"Let's drink to Ka­te's suc­cess," sa­id Cla­re.
The te­ars for Fa­ith we­re still in her eyes as she lif­ted her glass.
I of­ten tho­ught how much I owed to Ni­co­le.
She was prac­ti­cal in the ext­re­me and as so­on as I re­tur­ned to Pa­ris to the ho­use of the Reg­ni­ers my next com­mis­si­on- I went to see her.
"Well?" she sa­id.
But I didn't ha­ve to tell her. She knew. She put her arms ro­und me and held me clo­se to her for a mo­ment.
Then she sa­id: "Now we start to plan."
After that I saw her al­most every day. The­re was so much to talk abo­ut, so much to ar­ran­ge. It was im­me­di­ately de­ci­ded that the at­tic sho­uld be my stu­dio, and that I sho­uld ha­ve a ro­om in which to re­ce­ive pe­op­le and dis­cuss ap­po­int­ments and terms. We sho­uld sha­re the sa­lon and I sho­uld ha­ve a bed­ro­om next to the at­tic.

I I

"There is a su­ite of ro­oms up the­re," she sa­id, 'and you can ha­ve tho­se when the baby ar­ri­ves. They'll be su­itab­le for the first few months any­way . un­til the child be­gins to walk. "
She had wor­ked out everyt­hing. I must, of co­ur­se, re­ma­in Ka­te Col­li­son. But ins­te­ad of be­ing Ma­de­mo­isel­le I sho­uld be­co­me Ma­da­me. We co­uld ha­ve a va­gue story in the backg­ro­und abo­ut a hus­band who had un­for­tu­na­tely di­ed.
"The tra­gedy is fa­irly re­cent," she exp­la­ined, 'so we do not wish to dis­cuss it. It is too pa­in­ful. You re­ta­ined the na­me of Col­li­son be­ca­use it me­ans a gre­at de­al in the art world and you are car­rying on the fa­mily tra­di­ti­on. " She pa­used and then went on: " As so­on as the pre­sent com­mis­si­ons are comp­le­ted you will ex­pect cli­ents to co­me to the stu­dio to be pa­in­ted. In the me­an­ti­me we will pre­pa­re it and ma­ke su­re it is all that it sho­uld be to ac­com­mo­da­te a fas­hi­onab­le and fa­mo­us ar­tist. You can go on pa­in­ting right un­til the last month, I sho­uld think. In any ca­se we can see abo­ut that when the ti­me co­mes.
I shall en­ga­ge a mid­wi­fe who I know is ef­fi­ci­ent in her job and do­es in fact at­tend the no­bi­lity. In the me­an­ti­me we shall pre­pa­re for this in­fant. We shall ha­ve everyt­hing of the best for it.
Leave that to me. "
"I want to be ca­re­ful with mo­ney," I in­sis­ted.
"I know I am highly pa­id now and I ha­ve sa­ved qu­ite a bit. But I ha­ve the fu­tu­re to think of."
"The fu­tu­re is as­su­red if you will let it be. You ha­ve to act li­ke a gre­at ar­tist. That is of the ut­most im­por­tan­ce. Mo­ney af­fa­irs are mun­da­ne mat­ters. They sho­uld not con­cern you over­much. You are de­eply in­te­res­ted only in art. I think we are get­ting everyt­hing ar­ran­ged ni­cely. All we ha­ve to do now is to awa­it the birth and in the me­an­ti­me go on pa­in­ting and pi­ling up the she­kels."
"Nicole," I sa­id one day, 'why are you do­ing all this for me? "
She was si­lent for a mo­ment. Then she sa­id: "Fri­ends­hip." And af­ter anot­her pa­use: "I'm do­ing it for myself in a way. I was lo­nely. The days se­emed so long. They don't any mo­re. I al­ways wan­ted child­ren. "
"Do you me­an ... his ... ?"
"Well," she sa­id, 'it wo­uldn't ha­ve be­en pos­sib­le. He didn't want a wi­fe then. He wan­ted a mist­ress. "
"And, of co­ur­se, he tho­ught only of him­self, as al­ways."
"I ne­ver told him I wan­ted child­ren."
"He might ha­ve gu­es­sed that any wo­man wo­uld."
"Not my sort of wo­man."
"How can you talk of sorts of wo­men! They are all in­di­vi­du­als ... no two ali­ke."
"No, per­haps not. But we can be ro­ughly sor­ted in­to types. I me­an, the wo­men who cho­ose the way of li­fe I cho­se do not usu­al­ly want child­ren."
"That way of li­fe was cho­sen for you."
"Well, most of us ha­ve so­met­hing cho­sen for us. It is the bold ones who bre­ak away. No. I must be fa­ir. I ac­cep­ted that way of li­fe be­ca­use it was amu­sing and in­te­res­ting. I had tri­ed res­pec­ta­bi­lity, hadn't I, and I knew it wasn't for me."
"Nicole, I fancy I'm gro­wing up fast, thro­ugh you."
"I'm glad to be of help and what I wan­ted to say is that it is no use bla­ming an­yo­ne for what we are. It's in our hands." '"Not in our stars but in our­sel­ves ..." I qu­oted.
"Oh yes, I see that."
"And we sho­uld be le­ni­ent in our jud­ge­ment of ot­hers." She lo­oked at me al­most ap­pe­alingly.
"The way in which we are bro­ught up do­es af­fect our li­ves. You see, in my ca­se, I was ma­de to see a gre­at de­al that was de­si­rab­le in pan­de­ring to the ple­asu­re of so­me­one who co­uld gi­ve me a se­cu­re fu­tu­re. It's li­ke many pe­op­le's ap­pro­ach to mar­ri­age in a way. Think of all tho­se fond Mam­mas pa­ra­ding the­ir da­ugh­ters for the hig­hest bid­der, one might say. It was the sa­me with me. Mo­re ho­nest in a way. I had to gi­ve mo­re in re­turn for what I re­ce­ived. I had to con­ti­nue to ple­ase." She la­ug­hed at me.
"It so­unds im­mo­ral, do­esn't it, to one who has be­en bro­ught up

I 3

carefully in a ple­asant ho­use­hold. But you see, he­re­dity and upb­rin­ging ha­ve ma­de you a pa­in­ter; the sa­me thing has ma­de me a co­ur­te­san. "
"They ma­de you cle­ver, un­ders­tan­ding and kind, and I'm gra­te­ful to you, Ni­co­le. In fact, I don't know what I sho­uld ha­ve do­ne wit­ho­ut you."
"Well, it is not all for you. I was lo­nely. I wan­ted an in­te­rest. Oh Ka­te, I am lo­oking for­ward to our baby."
"Nicole, so am I. So am I!"
On anot­her oc­ca­si­on she sa­id: "You don't fe­el so ve­he­ment abo­ut him now, do you?"
She nod­ded.
"I ha­te him as in­ten­sely as ever."
"You mustn't."
"I co­uldn't stop myself if I tri­ed. I shall al­ways ha­te him."
"You sho­uldn't. It might be bad for the child. He is the fat­her, re­mem­ber."
"I wish I co­uld for­get that."
"Try to un­ders­tand him."
"Understand him! I un­ders­tand him too well. He's a throw-back to the age of bar­ba­rism. He has no pla­ce in a ci­vi­li­zed world."
"He used to talk to me abo­ut his child­ho­od so­me­ti­mes."
"I am su­re he was the most hor­rib­le child who tor­tu­red lit­tle ani­mals and to­re the wings off fli­es."
"No, he did not. He was fond of ani­mals. He lo­ves his dogs and hor­ses."
"Was it re­al­ly pos­sib­le for him to lo­ve anyt­hing be­si­des him­self?"
"Now you are wor­king yo­ur­self up and as I told you that's bad for the child."
"Anything con­nec­ted with him is bad for ever­yo­ne ne­ar him."
"But he is the child's fat­her."
"For He­aven's sa­ke, Ni­co­le, don't ke­ep re­min­ding me of that."
"I want you to see him in a new light. You must un­ders­tand what sort of man his fat­her was."
"Just li­ke him, I sho­uld ima­gi­ne."
"He was the only son. Everyt­hing was con­cent­ra­ted on him."
"He li­ked that, I am su­re."
"No. It me­ant that he was al­ways un­der ob­ser­va­ti­on ... he was bro­ught up in a way which ma­de him what he is. He had to ex­cel at everyt­hing.
He was cons­tantly ma­de awa­re of his an­cestry. "
"Those sa­va­ge ma­ra­uding Nor­mans who ra­ided the co­asts of pe­ace­ful pe­op­le, sto­le the­ir go­ods and ra­ped the­ir wo­men. I can well be­li­eve that."
"A child is bro­ught up li­ke that ... for­ced to ex­cel in all manly sports, ta­ught to be a sto­ic, ta­ught the im­por­tan­ce of po­wer, bro­ught up to see his fa­mily as the gre­atest in the world. He has even be­en na­med af­ter one of them. Rol­lo- ap­pa­rently was the first le­ader who ca­me to Nor­mandy."
"Yes, I know. He ra­ided the co­ast and so ha­ras­sed the French that to ke­ep the in­va­ders qu­i­et they ga­ve them a part of the­ir co­untry which was cal­led Nor­mandy. He was very an­xi­o­us to tell me at the very be­gin­ning of our di­sast­ro­us ac­qu­a­in­tan­ce that he was not French. He was Nor­man. I think he re­al­ly be­li­eved he was back in tho­se dark ages.
He cer­ta­inly be­ha­ved as tho­ugh he we­re. "
"Yet in spi­te of this the­re was a cer­ta­in sen­si­ti­vity."
"Sensitivity!"
"This lo­ve of art. I'll tell you so­met­hing el­se: he wan­ted to be an ar­tist. You can ima­gi­ne the storm in the Cen­te­vil­le camp when that was dis­co­ve­red. The­re had ne­ver be­en an ar­tist in the fa­mily. They we­re all ho­ary war­ri­ors. That was stam­ped on at on­ce."
"I am surp­ri­sed he al­lo­wed that to be."
"He didn't, did he? He be­ca­me both ... and be­ca­use his ef­forts we­re di­vi­ded he wasn't en­ti­rely suc­ces­sful at eit­her."
"What do you me­an?"
"He is not a pa­in­ter but I ha­ve he­ard it sa­id that the­re is not a man in Fran­ce who knows mo­re abo­ut pa­in­ting. He is ruth­less, up­hol­ding his po­wer and yet he has a sen­ti­men­tal stre­ak which is qu­ite ali­en to everyt­hing el­se abo­ut him."
"Sentimental stre­ak! Re­al­ly, Ni­co­le. You are ro­man­cing."
"Didn't he proc­la­im yo­ur ta­lent? Don't you owe the fact that you are on the way to him?"
"That was simply be­ca­use he ad­mi­red my work ... re­cog­ni­zed it for what it was, and he knew that I co­uld pa­int a mi­ni­atu­re as well as my fat­her co­uld."
"But he did it, didn't he? He went to con­si­de­rab­le pa­ins to ad­van­ce yo­ur ca­re­er."
"And then went to even gre­ater pa­ins to dest­roy it. No, I shall al­ways ha­te him. I see him for what he is and that is ... a mons­ter."
"Don't get ex­ci­ted," sa­id Ni­co­le.
"It's bad for the child."
I be­ca­me mo­re and mo­re gra­te­ful to Ni­co­le as the months pas­sed. She car­ri­ed off our mas­qu­era­de with ap­lomb; everyt­hing she did was do­ne in the true spi­rit of ge­ne­ro­sity which was to ma­ke me fe­el that the be­ne­fit was hers. She had be­en lo­nely, bo­red, and I had gi­ven her so­met­hing to plan for. My des­pe­ra­te si­tu­ati­on had re­li­eved the mo­no­tony ot­her days. The only ti­me she was im­pa­ti­ent was when I tri­ed to exp­ress my gra­ti­tu­de.
The ar­ran­ge­ments in the ho­use we­re per­fect. The stu­dio was lar­ge, airy and light. It was all a stu­dio sho­uld be. She had one day a we­ek when she re­ce­ived her fri­ends. I was al­ways with her on the­se oc­ca­si­ons and this bro­ught me many cli­ents. I had wor­ked right up to the ti­me of my con­fi­ne­ment so I was not go­ing to be short of mo­ney and was ab­le to pay Ni­co­le a re­aso­nab­le pri­ce for my rent, alt­ho­ugh I knew full well that she did not want to ta­ke it. Ho­we­ver, I in­sis­ted on this.
She was int­ro­du­cing me to a new way of li­fe. I had be­co­me Ma­da­me Col­li­son, the fa­mo­us ar­tist; and Ni­co­le, who cer­ta­inly did not ob­ser­ve the ru­les of con­ven­ti­on for her­self, had de­ci­ded that it might be ad­vi­sab­le for me to gi­ve so­me re­gard to them. The­re­fo­re she hin­ted at a de­ce­ased hus­band and the post­hu­mo­us child-to-be. It ma­de a very in­te­res­ting si­tu­ati­on and sur­ro­un­ded me with a cer­ta­in amo­unt of mystery which ma­de me an int­ri­gu­ing per­so­na­lity as well as a ta­len­ted ar­tist.
I enj­oyed the eve­nings un­til I be­gan to get too lar­ge and then I felt the ne­ed to rest. All sorts of pe­op­le ca­me to the sa­lon. The­re was. a gre­at de­al of mu­sic. Ni­co­le pla­yed the pi­ano with spi­rit and so­me­ti­mes she en­ga­ged pro­fes­si­onal mu­si­ci­ans. She li­ked, tho­ugh, to cho­ose pe­op­le who we­re trying to get a he­aring in that fi­eld. She was very sympat­he­tic and wha­te­ver an­yo­ne tho­ught abo­ut her past li­fe, fun­da­men­tal­ly go­od. I had re­ason to know that. Ar­tists, wri­ters, mu­si­ci­ans ca­me. It was an ab­sor­bing and ex­ci­ting li­fe; and I was be­gin­ning to be happy, for Ni­co­le in­sis­ted that I sho­uld be. She wo­uld sha­ke her fin­ger at me and I wo­uld rush in with it be­fo­re she had ti­me to say it: "For the sa­ke of the child ..."
During the last months I wo­uld lie on a so­fa in the sa­lon with a vel­vet co­ver to hi­de my body, and pe­op­le ca­me and sat be­si­de me, and so­me­ti­mes they knelt, which ma­de me fe­el li­ke a qu­e­en.
The mid­wi­fe, cho­sen by Ni­co­le, had mo­ved in. My ti­me was ap­pro­ac­hing.
Then ca­me the all-impor­tant day and my child was born.
I ca­me out of ex­ha­us­ti­on to he­ar the cry. lo­ud and lusty.
I he­ard the mid­wi­fe say: "This one will gi­ve a go­od ac­co­unt of him­self Then I knew I had a boy.
When he was la­id in my arms, Ni­co­le was the­re, smi­ling pro­udly. She told me that he we­ig­hed ni­ne po­unds, which was very big- and he was per­fect in every way.
"He is go­ing to be so­met­hing... our boy," she sa­id.
She do­ted on him from the ho­ur of his birth and we tal­ked of not­hing el­se but this mar­ve­lo­us boy.
"What shall you call him?" she as­ked, and for a mo­ment I tho­ught she was go­ing to sug­gest Rol­lo and I felt an­ger wel­ling up wit­hin me.
I sa­id qu­ickly: "I am go­ing to call him Ken­dal... af­ter my fat­her.
There must be a K . just in ca­se . "
She was la­ug­hing.
"But of co­ur­se he must be Ken­dal," she sa­id.
"He must ha­ve the ma­gi­cal ini­ti­als just in ca­se he sho­uld turn out to be a gre­at ar­tist."
She roc­ked him in her arms. She mar­vel­led at him. I li­ked to see her happy.
Then she ga­ve him to me and I held him clo­se aga­inst me. I knew that anyt­hing that had go­ne be­fo­re was worth it for his sa­ke.
The Onf­lam­me Ki­te I wo­uld not ha­ve be­li­eved I co­uld be so happy. Two ye­ars had pas­sed sin­ce the birth of my son and he grew in strength and be­a­uty every day and in a man­ner at which both Ni­co­le and I mar­vel­led. The ex­ci­te­ment of his first to­oth, his first smi­le, the first word he ut­te­red, the first ti­me he sto­od alo­ne on his two dimp­led fe­et, was so in­ten­se, and the mo­re so be­ca­use it was sha­red.
He was at the cent­re of our li­ves. As so­on as he was ab­le to spe­ak he sa­id his own na­me, of which his ver­si­on was Kendy. It oc­cur­red a gre­at de­al in his con­ver­sa­ti­on. In­tel­li­gent as he was, he co­uld not help but be awa­re of his im­por­tan­ce, and so­me­ti­mes I tho­ught he be­li­eved the who­le world was ma­de for him.
Each mor­ning, when I was in the stu­dio, he wo­uld be Ni­co­le's con­cern.
I was get­ting mo­re and mo­re cli­ents and the­re was hardly a day when I did not ha­ve work to do. It was very sa­tis­fac­tory and the­re was no do­ubt that my na­me was be­co­ming mo­re and mo­re well known in Pa­ri­si­an circ­les. Pe­op­le ca­me from the co­untry too- which was very gra­tif­ying as it sho­wed that my fa­me was spre­ading be­yond Pa­ris.
"Excellent, ex­cel­lent," Ni­co­le wo­uld mur­mur, and she co­uld ne­ver re­sist ad­ding: "Was I not right?"
She had be­en right in everyt­hing she had do­ne. She had fo­und a way out for me, and be­ca­use I had the most ado­rab­le child in the world I co­uld cast asi­de my reg­rets and be happy.
I wro­te to my fat­her abo­ut on­ce a month re­por­ting prog­ress. He was de­ligh­ted with the way things we­re go­ing and qu­ite un­ders­to­od that I co­uld not spa­re the ti­me to co­me
Q
home. As for him, his sight was fa­ding and he did not fe­el qu­ite ab­le to un­der­ta­ke the jo­ur­ney to Pa­ris. It was com­for­ting the­re­fo­re to re­ce­ive my let­ters. He wan­ted to he­ar abo­ut my suc­cess and he tho­ught that it had be­en the best thing that co­uld ha­ve hap­pe­ned, par­ti­cu­larly to a wo­man to be ac­cla­imed by so­me­one li­ke the Ba­ron and then to ha­ve her own stu­dio in Pa­ris.
"I think of you all the ti­me, de­arest Ka­te," he wro­te.
"I am so pro­ud of you. It is the one thing which co­uld ma­ke it pos­sib­le for me to ac­cept my af­flic­ti­on with re­sig­na­ti­on."
I tho­ught a gre­at de­al abo­ut him. He was happy in Col­li­son Ho­use and I grew mo­re and mo­re gra­te­ful to Cla­re for lo­oking af­ter him as she did.
He men­ti­oned her fre­qu­ently in his let­ters. It was cle­ar to me that the ma­na­ge­ment of the ho­use and the ca­re of my fat­her we­re in the best pos­sib­le hands.
I had not­hing to worry abo­ut. I tri­ed not to think of the Ba­ron and when I did to re­mind myself that alt­ho­ugh he had be­ha­ved so abo­mi­nably to me, thro­ugh him the com­mis­si­ons had co­me and my child. It was stran­ge to con­temp­la­te that my boy was partly his. I tri­ed to dis­miss that tho­ught whe­ne­ver it int­ru­ded, but I did no­ti­ce, with a to­uch of ap­pre­hen­si­on, that Ken­dal was be­gin­ning to lo­ok a lit­tle li­ke his fat­her. He was go­ing to be tall and bro­ad with light blond ha­ir and blu­ish-grey eyes. He will be bro­ught up so dif­fe­rently tho­ugh, I tho­ught. He shall not re­semb­le that man. I will te­ach him a bet­ter way of li­fe. It may well be that he will be­co­me an ar­tist.
He li­ked to sit in the stu­dio and watch me work, alt­ho­ugh of co­ur­se he was ne­ver the­re when the cli­ents we­re. He in­sis­ted that I gi­ve him so­me pa­ints, so I ga­ve him so­me pa­ints and he pa­in­ted on a she­et' of pa­per.
Such happy days they we­re, and as I watc­hed his fa­ir he­ad bent over the pa­per in comp­le­te ab­sorp­ti­on I of­ten tho­ught: I wo­uld not ha­ve had it ot­her­wi­se. He has ma­de everyt­hing worthw­hi­le.
One day when Ni­co­le had ta­ken Ken­dal out for his mor­ning walk in the Lu­xem­bo­urg Gar­dens, I was pa­in­ting in the stu­dio. My su­bj­ect was a yo­ung wo­man who wan­ted a mi­ni­atu­re of her­self to pre­sent to her hus­band on his birth­day. I had met her at one of Ni­co­le so­ire­es, as I did so many of my cli­ents. She chat­te­red on and on as I pa­in­ted her, which su­ited me. I li­ked to catch the fle­eting exp­res­si­ons as they tal­ked.
They we­re of­ten very re­ve­aling.
She sa­id sud­denly: "I saw Ma­da­me St. Gi­les with yo­ur lit­tle son as I ca­me in."
"Oh yes," I rep­li­ed.
"They are just go­ing for the­ir mor­ning walk."
"What an enc­han­ting lit­tle fel­low!"
I was ab­surdly ple­ased when pe­op­le sa­id comp­li­men­tary things abo­ut Ken­dal.
"I think so, but you know how the­se ma­ter­nal fe­elings carry one away."
"He is cer­ta­inly a be­a­uti­ful child. It is de­light­ful to ha­ve child­ren.
I ho­pe to . in ti­me. Of co­ur­se I am yo­ung yet. But then so are you, Ma­da­me Col­li­son. You must ha­ve be­en very yo­ung when you mar­ri­ed. And so sad . , . yo­ur hus­band ne­ver to see his son. "
I was si­lent.
She went on: "I'm sorry. I sho­uldn't ha­ve spo­ken of it. It must be very pa­in­ful... even now. For­gi­ve me."
I sa­id: "It's per­fectly all right."
"Time he­als, they say, and you ha­ve yo­ur de­ar lit­tle boy. My hus­band was at Cen­te­vil­le last we­ek. He sta­yed a night at the cast­le."
I held my brush abo­ve the ivory. It was very ne­ces­sary that my hand sho­uld be ab­so­lu­tely ste­ady. Each stro­ke was so im­por­tant.
"Oh yes . , ." I mur­mu­red.
"He sa­id the Prin­ces­se was not very well. I un­ders­tand she has not be­en ... sin­ce the birth."
"The birth?" I he­ard myself say.
"Oh, didn't you he­ar? It's qu­ite so­me ti­me ago. The child must be abo­ut the sa­me age as yo­ur lit­tle boy. Did you say he was two? Yes, that wo­uld be abo­ut it ... al­most exactly, I sho­uld ima­gi­ne."
"No," I sa­id, "I didn't know the­re was a child."
"A lit­tle boy. It's a mercy that it was a boy. I he­ar the Prin­ces­se's he­alth might pre­vent her from ha­ving ot­her child­ren."
"I'm sorry to he­ar that. She's qu­ite a yo­ung wo­man."
"Oh yes ... very yo­ung. But it was a dif­fi­cult birth. Any­way, they ha­ve the­ir boy."
"Did you see him?"
"Only bri­efly. He lo­oked rat­her sickly."
"I'm surp­ri­sed."
"Well, you wo­uld ha­ve ex­pec­ted the Ba­ron to ha­ve a child li­ke him­self, wo­uldn't you?"
"What ha­ve they cal­led him?" I as­ked.
"Rollo, I ex­pect."
"Oh no ... no. That's the Ba­ron's na­me."
"I had he­ard that it was and I wo­uld ha­ve ex­pec­ted the child to be na­med af­ter him."
"No. The child is Wil­li­am."
"Ah, Wil­li­am the Con­qu­eror."
"He hardly lo­oked li­ke a con­qu­eror, po­or lit­tle mi­te. But child­ren grow out of the­ir we­ak­nes­ses, I be­li­eve."
"Yes, I be­li­eve they do."
"You ha­ven't to worry abo­ut yo­ur lit­tle one. He lo­oks the pic­tu­re of he­alth."
I co­uld not get on af­ter that. I co­uld not shut out of my mind the tho­ught of the Prin­ces­se in that cast­le. She had be­en af­ra­id of it.
And then to be­ar a child and suf­fer and be­co­me we­ake­ned by it. I tho­ught the Ba­ron wo­uld not be very ple­ased with that now with a sickly child, boy tho­ugh he was, son and he­ir and Wil­li­am the Con­qu­eror.
Later that day when I was alo­ne with Ni­co­le I men­ti­oned that con­ver­sa­ti­on to her.
She nod­ded.
"You knew?" I sa­id.
"I'd he­ard."
"You didn't tell me."
"You know how you felt every ti­me his na­me was men­ti­oned. You still do, a lit­tle, I think."
"All the sa­me, I wo­uld rat­her ha­ve he­ard from you."
"I'll re­mem­ber that if I get any mo­re snip­pets of gos­sip."
"Yes, do. I li­ke to be in­for­med."
"Even abo­ut... cer­ta­in pe­op­le?"
"Yes, even abo­ut them. How did it go in the Gar­dens to­day?"
"Very well. Ken­dal is be­co­ming in­te­res­ted in sta­tu­es. He lo­ved the one of Cho­pin and I had to tell him as much as I knew abo­ut the mu­si­ci­an.
I even had to sing so­me of his pi­eces, with di­sast­ro­us re­sults I'm af­ra­id. Still, Ken­dal li­ked them. "
It was a few we­eks la­ter when I re­ce­ived a shock. Ken­dal had ri­sen from his early af­ter­no­on nap and was as usu­al full of energy. We we­re fin­ding it hard to ke­ep up with him the­se days and Ni­co­le of­ten sa­id it had be­en easi­er when he co­uld only crawl. He had be­en out with Ni­co­le all the mor­ning, and af­ter his nap I had pro­mi­sed to ta­ke him out. I had ta­ken him to the shop whe­re I bo­ught my brus­hes and af­ter we had ma­de a few purc­ha­ses we re­tur­ned to the ho­use.
As we en­te­red I he­ard Ni­co­le tal­king. Vi­si­tors, I tho­ught, and was abo­ut to ta­ke Ken­dal up the sta­irs to our apart­ment when Ni­co­le ap­pe­ared. She lo­oked rat­her flus­te­red.
"Kate," she sa­id, "Yo­ur fat­her is he­re."
I sto­od very still. I co­uldn't be­li­eve I had he­ard cor­rectly, and just at that mo­ment Cla­re ap­pe­ared in the do­or­way.
"Kate!" She ran to me and emb­ra­ced me. And the­re was my fat­her.
Kendal lo­oked on at the vi­si­tors with cu­ri­osity. I had to ma­ke a hasty de­ci­si­on.
"Father," I cri­ed and we emb­ra­ced.
"We ha­ve news for you. We had to tell you in per­son.. he sa­id.
"What a de­ar lit­tle boy!" cri­ed Cla­re.
I felt myself flus­hing scar­let. I was numb and co­uld not think of what to say. Of­ten I had pic­tu­red myself tel­ling my fat­her, for I knew that my son's exis­ten­ce co­uld not be kept sec­ret for ever. But I had cer­ta­inly ne­ver ima­gi­ned anyt­hing li­ke this.
"There is a gre­at de­al to exp­la­in," I sa­id.
"Nicole, will you ta­ke him up. He can co­me down and see my fat­her in a lit­tle whi­le."
"I want to see him now," sa­id Ken­dal.
"You've se­en him, dar­ling. I ha­ve to talk to him first."
Nicole to­ok him firmly by the hand and led him away.
I went in­to the sa­lon with my fat­her and Cla­re.
"First, tell me yo­ur news," I sa­id firmly, trying to find the words to exp­la­in Ken­dal.
"Clare and I are mar­ri­ed," blur­ted out my fat­her.
"Married!"
"Three we­eks ago. We didn't tell you be­ca­use we knew you'd be too busy to co­me to the wed­ding and per­haps fe­el you ought and so ma­ke it dif­fi­cult for you. We tho­ught we'd surp­ri­se you on our ho­ney­mo­on."
"Oh, Fat­her!" I sa­id.
"You're not ple­ased," sa­id Cla­re qu­ickly.
"Of co­ur­se I'm ple­ased. I think it's won­der­ful. No one can ca­re of him li­ke you."
"I want to ca­re for him," she sa­id ear­nestly.
"Particularly now ..."
My fat­her was smi­ling in my di­rec­ti­on and I re­ali­zed that he co­uld not see me very cle­arly.
I sa­id slowly: "As you ha­ve gu­es­sed, I ha­ve so­met­hing to tell you."
"Do you want to spe­ak to yo­ur fat­her alo­ne?" as­ked Cla­re.
I sho­ok my he­ad.
"No, Cla­re. You're one of the fa­mily now. I'm af­ra­id this will be a shock to you. The lit­tle boy is my son."
There was a de­ep si­len­ce in the ro­om.
"I co­uldn't tell you," I rus­hed on.
"That's why I had to stay he­re. I co­uldn't co­me to see you ..."
"You are mar­ri­ed?" as­ked my fat­her.
"No."
"I... see."
"No," I sa­id.
"I don't think you do."
"What hap­pe­ned to Bert­rand? You we­re go­ing to marry him."
"My child's fat­her is not Bert­rand."
"Someone el­se?"
Clare sa­id, "My po­or, po­or Ka­te."
"No," I sa­id fi­er­cely.
"I am not po­or. It hap­pe­ned ... and now that I ha­ve my boy I wo­uldn't ha­ve had it ot­her­wi­se."
My fat­her was lo­oking be­wil­de­red.
"But you we­re to ha­ve mar­ri­ed ..."
"There was so­me­one el­se," I sa­id.
"And you co­uldn't marry him?"
I sho­ok my he­ad. My fat­her was strug­gling with his prin­cip­les and his lo­ve for his da­ugh­ter. It was a gre­at shock to him that I sho­uld ha­ve an il­le­gi­ti­ma­te child. I felt I owed him so­me exp­la­na­ti­on for I did not want him to think I had be­en blit­hely im­mo­ral with no tho­ught to con­se­qu­en­ces.
I sa­id qu­i­etly: "It was for­ced on me."
"Forced! My de­ar child!"
"Please ... do you mind if we don't talk abo­ut it."
"Of co­ur­se we won't," Cla­re sa­id.
"Kendal de­ar, Ka­te is happy now .. wha­te­ver hap­pe­ned. And she's suc­ces­sful with her work. That must be a gre­at com­pen­sa­ti­on for everyt­hing. And the lit­tle boy is such a dar­ling."
"Thank you, Cla­re," I sa­id.
"Perhaps I'll be ab­le to tell you la­ter.
This has co­me so sud­denly. "
"We sho­uld ha­ve told you we we­re on our way," sa­id Cla­re.
"We wan­ted it to be a surp­ri­se."
"It's a won­der­ful surp­ri­se. I'm so happy to see you. It is just that
"
"We un­ders­tand," sa­id Cla­re.
"You will tell us when you want to. In the me­an­ti­me, it is not our bu­si­ness. You ha­ve this stu­dio and all this suc­cess. It is what you dre­amed of, isn't it?"
My fat­her was lo­oking in my di­rec­ti­on as tho­ugh he had be­en conf­ron­ted by a stran­ger. I went to him and ta­king his hand kis­sed it.
"I'm sorry," I sa­id.
"It's be­en un­fa­ir to you. Per­haps I sho­uld ha­ve told you. I didn't want to ma­ke dif­fi­cul­ti­es. Be­li­eve me, it was not my fa­ult. It... hap­pe­ned to me."
"You me­an ... ?"
"Please don't talk of it. Per­haps la­ter. Not now. Oh, Fat­her, I am so glad you are happy and that you ha­ve Cla­re."
"Clare has be­en very go­od to me."
I re­ac­hed for her hand and we all sto­od clo­se to­get­her.
"Please un­ders­tand," I sa­id.
"I did not se­ek it. It ... hap­pe­ned. I ha­ve a won­der­ful fri­end in Ni­co­le who has smo­ot­hed the way for me. I be­li­eve that in spi­te of it I ha­ve be­en lucky."
My fat­her clenc­hed his hand and sa­id softly: "Was it that man... that Ba­ron?"
"Father, ple­ase ... it's over and do­ne with."
"He did a lot for you. So it was be­ca­use-' " No, no. That's qu­ite wrong. Per­haps I can talk to you la­ter. not now. "
"Kendal de­ar," sa­id Cla­re gently, 'don't dist­ress Ka­te. Ima­gi­ne all she has go­ne thro­ugh. and then our co­ming so sud­denly. She'll tell us when she's re­ady. Oh, Ka­te, it is won­der­ful to see you. Is the lit­tle boy in­te­res­ted in pa­in­ting? "
"Yes, I re­al­ly think he is go­ing to be. He da­ubs a bit but I'm su­re he has an eye for co­lo­ur. I na­med him Ken­dal.. just in ca­se."
My fat­her smi­led gently. He grip­ped my hand tightly.
"You sho­uld ha­ve co­me to me, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"It was my pla­ce to help you."
"I al­most did. I might ha­ve do­ne if Ni­co­le hadn't be­en the­re. Oh, Fat­her, you ha­ve be­en so lucky to ha­ve Cla­re. I've be­en lucky with Ni­co­le. It is a won­der­ful thing to ha­ve sta­unch fri­ends."
"I ag­ree on that. I want to see the boy, Ka­te."
You shall. "
He mur­mu­red: "Ken­dal Col­li­son. He'll carry the torch per­haps."
My fat­her and Cla­re sta­yed with us for three days.
Once he had re­co­ve­red from the shock, my fat­her ac­cep­ted my po­si­ti­on in much the sa­me way as he had ac­cep­ted his on­co­ming blind­ness.
He did not ask any mo­re in­ti­ma­te qu­es­ti­ons. Whet­her he pre­su­med that I had ac­tu­al­ly be­en for­ced to sub­mit to the Ba­ron or whet­her he tho­ught he had over­po­we­red me with his per­su­asi­on, he did not ask and I did not tell him. He re­ali­zed that tal­king of the mat­ter dist­res­sed me and he wan­ted the vi­sit to be a happy one. He wan­ted to stress the fact -which I al­re­ady knew- that wha­te­ver hap­pe­ned to eit­her of us our lo­ve for each ot­her wo­uld re­ma­in as ste­ady as a rock.
They tal­ked of vil­la­ge mat­ters. Ho­pe had a lit­tle baby and was happy alt­ho­ugh for a long ti­me she had be­en unab­le to get over her sis­ter's de­ath. Everyt­hing was the sa­me at the vi­ca­ra­ge. Fran­ces Me­adows was a won­der­ful wor­ker and ma­na­ged the ho­use­hold ef­fi­ci­ently as well as co­unt­less vil­la­ge con­cerns.
"Life is very qu­i­et for us com­pa­red with you in yo­ur won­der­ful sa­lon," sa­id Cla­re.
"But it su­its us very well."
My fat­her's sight had grown much wor­se. He did not we­ar glas­ses be­ca­use they ma­de no dif­fe­ren­ce. I tho­ught the ti­me must co­me when he wo­uld be to­tal­ly blind. I dre­aded that day and I know he did.
Clare had long talks with me.
"He is adj­us­ting him­self gra­du­al­ly," she sa­id.
"I re­ad to him. He lo­ves that. Of co­ur­se he can't pa­int at all now.
It's he­art-bre­aking to see him in the stu­dio. He go­es up the­re qu­ite of­ten still. I think yo­ur suc­cess me­ans a gre­at de­al to him."
"Clare," I told her, "I don't know how to be gra­te­ful eno­ugh to you."
"It's I who sho­uld be gra­te­ful. Be­fo­re I ca­me to you, li­fe was so empty. Now it is full of me­aning. I think I was me­ant to lo­ok af­ter pe­op­le."
"It's a very nob­le mis­si­on in li­fe."
"Your fat­her is so kind ... so go­od, I'm the lucky one. I am so sorry for pe­op­le who ha­ven't had my luck. I of­ten gri­eve for po­or Fa­ith Cam­bor­ne."
"She was al­ways so help­less," I sa­id.
"I know. I tri­ed to bef­ri­end her. I did what I co­uld ..."
"You we­re al­ways very help­ful to her and I know she was very fond of you."
"All we can do now is pray that Ho­pe will stop gri­eving for her sis­ter and enj­oy what li­fe has gi­ven her ... a go­od hus­band and a lo­vely baby."
"Dear Cla­re," I mur­mu­red, kis­sing her, Ken­dal was very ex­ci­ted to find he had a grand­fat­her. He clim­bed all over him and pe­ered in­to his fa­ce. He must ha­ve he­ard talk of his very im­mi­nent blind­ness be­ca­use one day he clim­bed on­to his kne­es and lo­oking long in­to his fa­ce sa­id:
"How are yo­ur po­or eyes to­day?"
My fat­her was so mo­ved that he was al­most in te­ars.
"I'll see for you," Ken­dal sa­id.
"I'll hold yo­ur hand all the ti­me and won't let you fall over."
And when I saw the exp­res­si­on on my fat­her's fa­ce I co­uld only re­j­o­ice on­ce mo­re in my boy and reg­ret not­hing just not­hing-that had gi­ven him to me.
They we­re go­ing on to Italy. My fat­her wan­ted Cla­re to see tho­se works of art which had af­fec­ted him so de­eply when he had had eyes to see them. I be­li­eved he wo­uld see them aga­in thro­ugh Cla­re.
She was so gent­le with him, so kind, not fus­sing too much but just eno­ugh to let him know how much she ca­red for him, let­ting him do what he co­uld for him­self and yet at the sa­me ti­me al­ways be­ing the­re if he sho­uld ne­ed help.
I felt glad that they had co­me. It was as tho­ugh a gre­at we­ight had be­en lif­ted from my sho­ul­ders. I no lon­ger had a dark sec­ret which must be with­held from them. I sho­uld be ab­le to wri­te to them fre­ely in fu­tu­re.
"Please, Cla­re," I sa­id when they left, "You must co­me and see me of­ten. It is dif­fi­cult for me to co­me to Far­ring­don, but do co­me aga­in so­on."
They pro­mi­sed that they wo­uld.
Two ye­ars had pas­sed. Ken­dal was now ap­pro­ac­hing his fifth birth­day.
He co­uld draw very well and the­re was not­hing he li­ked bet­ter than to co­me to the stu­dio in the af­ter­no­ons when the­re we­re no cli­ents the­re and sit at a bench and pa­int. He pa­in­ted the sta­tu­es he had se­en in his fa­vo­uri­te Lu­xem­bo­urg Gar­dens. Cho­pin par­ti­cu­larly de­ligh­ted him but he did so­me re­cog­ni­zab­le pic­tu­res of Wat­te­au, De­lac­ro­ix and Ge­or­ges Sand. He had a skill which I tho­ught was mi­ra­cu­lo­us. I was wri­ting to my fat­her re­gu­larly for he was al­ways wan­ting news of Ken­dal and was de­ligh­ted to he­ar of his in­te­rest in pa­in­ting; he wro­te that at fi­ve ye­ars old I had be­gun to show such le­anings.
Q
"It is won­der­ful," wro­te my fat­her, 'to know that the link is not bro­ken. "
He and Cla­re ca­me to Pa­ris twi­ce du­ring that pe­ri­od.
He was al­most blind now and his wri­ting was be­co­ming dif­fi­cult to de­cip­her. Cla­re of­ten wro­te in his pla­ce. She told me that the dec­li­ne in his sight, tho­ugh gra­du­al, was de­fi­ni­te. Ho­we­ver, he had ac­cep­ted it and was very happy to talk with her, and she was re­ading to him mo­re and mo­re. He was up to da­te with the news and al­ways li­ked to le­arn what was hap­pe­ning in Fran­ce.
"I don't re­ad to him anyt­hing that I think might dist­ress him," she wro­te.
"He did get a lit­tle une­asy abo­ut the si­tu­ati­on over the­re.
There se­ems to be a cer­ta­in dis­sa­tis­fac­ti­on with the Em­pe­ror and with the Emp­ress. She is be­a­uti­ful, I know, but we he­ar that she is ext­ra­va­gant and then of co­ur­se she is Spa­nish and the French al­ways did dis­li­ke fo­re­ig­ners. Lo­ok how they ha­ted Ma­rie An­to­inet­te. I think yo­ur fat­her is al­ways a lit­tle an­xi­o­us that what hap­pe­ned eighty ye­ars ago will start all over aga­in. "
I didn't ta­ke much no­ti­ce of that when I re­ad it. Li­fe in Pa­ris was so ple­asant. We had our so­ire­es whe­re be­a­uti­ful and in­tel­li­gent pe­op­le cong­re­ga­ted. We tal­ked art mo­re than po­li­tics, but I did no­ti­ce that the lat­ter we­re be­gin­ning to co­me mo­re and mo­re in­to the con­ver­sa­ti­on.
Nicole was de­ligh­ted with li­fe, I think. She li­ved lu­xu­ri­o­usly and lo­ved her so­ire­es. I think now and then she to­ok a lo­ver, but the­re was no re­al­ly se­ri­o­us re­la­ti­ons­hip. I did not en­qu­ire and she did not tell me. I think in her he­art she was al­ways awa­re of what she cal­led my Ang­lo-Sa­xon res­pec­ta­bi­lity, and she wan­ted not­hing dis­tur­bed.
I was not wit­ho­ut my ad­mi­rers. I had ne­ver be­en be­a­uti­ful but I had ac­qu­ired so­met­hing du­ring my ye­ars with Ni­co­le. A po­ise, I sup­po­se.
My work was highly suc­ces­sful and I was tre­ated with gre­at res­pect. It was con­si­de­red a symbol of so­ci­al rank to ha­ve a Col­li­son mi­ni­atu­re, and with the per­ver­sity of fas­hi­on, my sex, which had be­en a draw­back, now be­ca­me an as­set.
I li­ked so­me of the men who ma­de ap­pro­ac­hes to me, but I co­uld ne­ver en­ter in­to an in­ti­ma­te re­la­ti­ons­hip. As so­on as they sho­wed any signs of fa­mi­li­arity my who­le be­ing wo­uld shrink and I wo­uld see that fa­ce le­ering at me. It had be­co­me mo­re and mo­re li­ke the de­mon-gar­goy­le of Not­re Da­me as the ye­ars pas­sed.
We we­re all very happy. I en­ga­ged a nur­sery go­ver­ness for Ken­dal. I co­uld not ex­pect Ni­co­le to ta­ke him out every day alt­ho­ugh she li­ked to on oc­ca­si­ons. Je­an­ne Co­let was an ex­cel­lent wo­man, kind yet firm.
She was just what Ken­dal ne­eded. He to­ok to her im­me­di­ately. He was a very lo­vab­le child. He was misc­hi­evo­us oc­ca­si­onal­ly as most child­ren are, but the­re was al­ways an ab­sen­ce of ma­li­ce in his misc­hi­ef. He wan­ted to find out how things wor­ked and that was why he dest­ro­yed them so­me­ti­mes. It was ne­ver due to a de­si­re to spo­il.
I sup­po­se I saw him as per­fect; but it was a fact that ot­hers lo­ved him on sight, and he was a fa­vo­uri­te whe­re­ver he went. Even the grim con­ci­er­ge ca­me out to see him as he pas­sed in and out. He used to run in and tell me abo­ut the pe­op­le he had met in the Gar­dens. He spo­ke a mix­tu­re of French and Eng­lish which was enc­han­ting and per­haps one of his at­trac­ti­ons.
However, pe­op­le no­ti­ced him and per­haps that was why when he ca­me back and tal­ked abo­ut the gent­le­man in the gar­dens I did not at first pay much at­ten­ti­on.
There was a fas­hi­on at that ti­me for ki­tes. The child­ren flew them in the Gar­dens every day. Ken­dal had a be­a­uti­ful one with the orif­lam­me the an­ci­ent ban­ner of Fran­ce emb­la­zo­ned ac­ross it. The gold fla­mes on a scar­let backg­ro­und we­re most ef­fec­ti­ve and it cer­ta­inly lo­oked very splen­did flying up in the sky.
He used to ta­ke the ki­te in­to the Gar­dens every mor­ning and he wo­uld co­me back and tell me how high it had flown far be­yond the ot­her ki­tes.
He had tho­ught it was go­ing to fly right to Eng­land to see his grand­fat­her.
Then one day he ca­me back wit­ho­ut his ki­te. He was in te­ars.
He sa­id: "It flew away."
"How did you let it do that?"
"The man was sho­wing me how to fly it hig­her."
"What man?"
"The man in the Gar­dens."
I lo­oked at je­an­ne
"Oh, it's a gent­le­man," she sa­id.
"He's so­me­ti­mes the­re. He sits and watc­hes the child­ren play. He of­ten has a word for Ken­dal."
I sa­id to Ken­dal: "Ne­ver mind. We'll get you anot­her ki­te."
"It won't be my orif­lam­me."
"I ex­pect we can find anot­her so­mew­he­re," I as­su­red him.
The next mor­ning he went of­fki­te­less and rat­her dis­con­so­la­te.
"I ex­pect it's with my grand­fat­her by now," he sa­id, and that se­emed to com­fort him. Then he sa­id an­xi­o­usly: "Will he be ab­le to see it?"
His fa­ce puc­ke­red a lit­tle and he sho­wed mo­re than sor­row for the loss of his ki­te. He was thin­king of how his po­or grand­fat­her wo­uld not be ab­le to see that glo­ri­o­us emb­lem. It was that tho­ught­ful­ness, that fe­eling for ot­hers, which ma­de Ken­dal so en­de­aring.
"I'll find anot­her orif­lam­me ki­te if I ha­ve to sco­ur Pa­ris," I sa­id to "I'll do the sa­me," she told me.
I had a sit­ting that mor­ning but pro­mi­sed myself that I wo­uld go out to lo­ok in the af­ter­no­on. The­re was no ne­ed to. Ken­dal ca­me back from the Gar­dens with a ki­te abo­ut twi­ce the si­ze of the lost one, and mo­re, glo­ri­o­us, mo­re flam­bo­yant was the red and gold emb­lem of an­ci­ent Fran­ce.
He was so joyo­us I just knelt down and hug­ged him.
"Mind the ki­te," he war­ned me.
"It's a very pre­ci­o­us one."
I lo­oked at je­an­ne qu­es­ti­oningly.
"It was the gent­le­man in the Gar­dens," she sa­id.
"He was the­re this mor­ning with the ki­te."
"You me­an ... he's gi­ven it to Ken­dal?"
"He sa­id it was partly his fa­ult that the ot­her one was lost. He and Ken­dal pla­yed with it all mor­ning."
I was a lit­tle une­asy.
"There was no ne­ed for him to rep­la­ce it," I sa­id, 'and even so, to buy such an ob­vi­o­usly ex­pen­si­ve one. "
A few days pas­sed and each mor­ning Ken­dal went off with his ki­te. He had be­en flying, he told me, with the gent­le­man in the Gar­dens.
There ca­me what I was wa­iting fo­ra can­cel­la­ti­on from a sit­ter and I se­ized the op­por­tu­nity. I was go­ing to see the gent­le­man in the Gar­dens for myself.
When I saw him I sto­od very still, tremb­ling with a ter­rib­le fe­ar. My im­pul­se was to snatch up Ken­dal and run as fast as I co­uld.
He was co­ming to­wards me. He bo­wed. Me­mo­ri­es ca­me flo­oding back. I wan­ted to sho­ut at him: "Go away. Get out of my li­fe."
But he sto­od the­re smi­ling.
"Mamma," sa­id Ken­dal and con­ti­nu­ed in his de­light­ful com­bi­na­ti­on of the two lan­gu­ages:' Vo­ila the mon­si­e­ur of the jar dins "Ken­dal and I ha­ve be­co­me fri­ends," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"How ... how long has this be­en go­ing on?" I mur­mu­red.
"Long eno­ugh for us to ha­ve be­co­me go­od fri­ends."
I co­utd not lo­ok at him. He ter­ri­fi­ed me. I knew his ruth­les­sness and I gre­atly fe­ared what his next ac­ti­on wo­uld be.
"How did you ... ?"
"I saw him. I was at­trac­ted by him ... I dis­co­ve­red his na­me."
Kendal was lo­oking from one to the ot­her of us.
"Are we go­ing to fly the ki­te?" he as­ked.
"But of co­ur­se," rep­li­ed the Ba­ron.
"Is it not a fi­ne ki­te?" he went on, lo­oking at me.
"It's big­ger than the one that went to Eng­land," sa­id Ken­dal.
"I ho­pe yo­ur grand­fat­her li­ked it."
He knows so much! I tho­ught. He has do­ne this de­li­be­ra­tely. Why?
He bo­wed to me.
"Will you for­gi­ve us? We must get the ki­te in the sky.
It has to show the­se ot­hers how in­fe­ri­or the­ir lit­tle ef­forts are. "
"Come on," sa­id Ken­dal.
I watc­hed them mo­ve off to­get­her. I was da­zed. What is he trying to do now? I as­ked myself. What do­es this me­an? He has be­en co­ming to the Gar­dens to see the boy. Oh, why? When has he ever be­en in­te­res­ted in child­ren?
So I had not es­ca­ped from him. The last few ye­ars when I had co­me to terms with li­fe, when I had le­ar­ned to ac­cept what it of­fe­red me and be gra­te­ful for it. they we­re just the in­te­rim.
I was af­ra­id of this man. I knew him to be wit­ho­ut mercy.
What did he want with my son?
The ap­pal­ling truth had to be fa­ced. Ken­dal was his son too.
I watc­hed the orif­lam­me ri­se in the sky. The­re it was, outs­hi­ning all ot­hers. Ever­yo­ne was po­in­ting it out and Ken­dal's pri­de in it was im­men­se.
What is he te­ac­hing the boy al­re­ady? I as­ked myself. Al­re­ady he is sho­wing him that he must be su­pe­ri­or to all ot­hers. He must fly a lar­ger ki­te. He must put the ot­hers in the sha­de.
It was how the Ba­ron had be­en bro­ught up. He wo­uld try to turn my be­a­uti­ful child in­to anot­her such as him­self.
I he­ard him say: "He­re you are. You hold it. Grip it firmly. Don't let go. Can you?"
"Of co­ur­se," sa­id Ken­dal.
"Of co­ur­se," he re­pe­ated.
"I am now go­ing to ha­ve a word with yo­ur Mam­ma."
He sat be­si­de me. Ins­tinc­ti­vely I mo­ved away. He no­ti­ced and la­ug­hed.
"What a boy!" he sa­id.
I did not ans­wer.
"He lo­oks just li­ke my grand­fat­her. I ha­ve a port­ra­it of him at the boy's age. The li­ke­ness is ama­zing."
I sa­id slowly: "This boy is my boy. He is ne­ver go­ing to be li­ke tho­se Nor­se ba­rons who ro­de ro­ughs­hod over ever­yo­ne who sto­od in the­ir way."
"There is a swe­et­ness in him," he went on, 'inhe­ri­ted from his ma­ter­nal re­la­ti­ons, I don't do­ubt. But he'll be a figh­ter. "
"I don't think the­re is any ne­ed to dis­cuss him with you. If you will let me know the cost of the ki­te ..."
"That was my gift to him."
"I don't re­al­ly ca­re for him to ta­ke gifts from stran­gers."
"Not from his own fat­her!"
I tur­ned to him sharply.
"What are you plan­ning?"
"I me­rely ma­de a com­ment. I am his fat­her and I shall gi­ve him a ki­te if I want to... or anyt­hing el­se for that mat­ter."
"I am his mot­her. I ha­ve bro­ught him in­to this world and ca­red for him ever sin­ce. It is not for you to co­me along now be­ca­use you li­ke the lo­ok of him and cla­im to be his fat­her. How can you be su­re that you are."
He lo­oked at me sar­do­ni­cal­ly.
"You are a wo­man of im­pec­cab­le mo­rals, I am su­re. Everyt­hing fits. One only has to lo­ok at him."
"Lots of child­ren lo­ok ali­ke."
"Not so li­ke. Be­si­des, I knew him at on­ce as so­on as I saw him. I sa­id to myself: That is my son."
"You ha­ve no cla­im on him."
"Don't let him see that you are af­ra­id of me. That might aro­use his re­sent­ment aga­inst me. I ha­ve he­ard from him what a be­a­uti­ful, cle­ver mot­her he has. I ha­ve al­so he­ard talk of you. You jus­ti­fi­ed my be­li­ef in you. The fa­mo­us Ka­te Col­li­son ... be­a­uti­ful ... yo­ung ... alo­of ... a lit­tle myste­ri­o­us ... li­ving al­most li­ke a nun, they say."
"Where did you get this in­for­ma­ti­on?"
"You li­ve in the li­me­light, de­ar Ka­te. One can­not help but be­ar the­se things. I sa­id to myself: The­re has be­en no one el­se in Ka­te's li­fe. I was the one. I re­ma­in the one."
"I see yo­ur opi­ni­on of yo­ur­self has not chan­ged."
"As a mat­ter of fact, I'll tell you this, Ka­te. I am not a very happy man."
"How is that? Su­rely you can jug­gle with cir­cums­tan­ces and gi­ve yo­ur­self what you want?"
"It's not easy."
"You ha­ve in­de­ed chan­ged. I tho­ught you we­re om­ni­po­tent."
"Not qu­ite, alas."
"Surely you are not con­tent with be­ing " not qu­ite"?"
"Listen, Ka­te, don't let's was­te ti­me li­ke this. I ha­ve tho­ught of you of­ten."
"I sup­po­se that is me­ant to be flat­te­ring."
"It's the truth. That was a won­der­ful ti­me for me."
"It was hardly that for me."
"It was, Ka­te. If you are truth­ful with yo­ur­self you will ad­mit you lo­ved it ... every mi­nu­te. Co­me, you know you did."
"I ha­ted it. I ha­ted you. It ru­ined ..."
"Your li­fe? No. Lo­ok for yo­ur­self. Out of it ca­me that be­a­uti­ful boy.
You wo­uldn't chan­ge that, wo­uld you? "
"I ha­ve my boy and I am go­ing to ke­ep him."
"You wo­uldn't ha­ve him any dif­fe­rent, wo­uld you ... not in one lit­tle way?"
"Of co­ur­se I wo­uldn't."
"There you are. He had to be part mi­ne to ma­ke him as he is. You might ha­ve mar­ri­ed Bert­rand. I sa­ved you from that. | I was surp­ri­sed when he didn't go ahe­ad. I told him to, but | he de­fi­ed me. He lost a gre­at de­al. He is a very po­or man now. a He mar­ri­ed ho­ping his wi­fe wo­uld bring him so­met­hing. She did a lit­tle ... not as much as he ho­ped tho­ugh."
"Did you ha­ve a hand in that?"
"He had to le­arn he co­uld not defy me. Oh, you wo­uld ha­ve be­en so bo­red with him. Such a milk and wa­ter gent­le­man. It wo­uld ha­ve las­ted with you, Ka­te. It wo­uld ha­ve ru­ined yo­ur ca­re­er. Ma­da­me de Mor­te­mer.
No, I don't see you as that. Ins­te­ad he­re you are, glo­ri­o­us Ka­te Col­li­son, so­ught af­ter but unat­ta­inab­le, the gre­at ar­tist, and the mot­her of the most de­light­ful boy in Fran­ce. Tell me, do­es he pa­int?
"
"What is it to you?"
"A gre­at de­al."
"I re­fu­se to ans­wer."
"Oh Ka­te ... the sa­me Ka­te. It ta­ke me back so. I sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve let you go. You see I can ma­ke mis­ta­kes."
"That's an ext­ra­or­di­nary ad­mis­si­on. Yes, you ha­ve in­de­ed chan­ged. It surp­ri­ses me very much to he­ar you ad­mit de­fe­at."
"I ho­pe you will ta­ke pity on me."
"I don't be­li­eve a word you say, you know. I ne­ver shall."
"Oh, you ad­mit we shall ha­ve ot­her op­por­tu­ni­ti­es for di­sag­re­e­ing. That imp­li­es a con­ti­nu­ati­on of our re­la­ti­ons­hip which I very much de­si­re."
"I think I sho­uld be go­ing."
"You can't bring down the orif­lam­me yet ... un­less you wo­uld li­ke me to ta­ke char­ge of the boy."
"That I will ne­ver al­low."
"I tho­ught not," he sa­id.
"Why ha­ve you co­me he­re?" I as­ked.
"To see the boy."
"To ing­ra­ti­ate yo­ur­self with him."
"I want his fri­ends­hip."
"It is not for you."
"Shame, Ka­te. His own fat­her!"
"I he­ard you ha­ve a son of yo­ur own ... a le­gi­ti­ma­te one."
His fa­ce har­de­ned.
"I ha­ve no son," he sa­id.
"The Prin­ces­se has a son, I was told."
"She has."
"Then ..."
"You knew, Ka­te. You we­re with her. I be­li­eve she con­fi­ded in you.
She did not co­me to me a vir­gin."
I lo­oked at him ste­adily, moc­kingly. He was very se­ri­o­us now.
"The child was born too so­on," he sa­id.
"I knew it was not mi­ne. She ad­mit­ted that she had had a lo­ver. Ar­mand L'Estran­ge. So I gi­ve my na­me to a bas­tard. What do you think of that? It ma­kes you la­ugh, do­esn't it?"
"Yes," I sa­id, la­ug­hing.
"It ma­kes me la­ugh." Then I was so­ber sud­denly.
"The po­or lit­tle Prin­ces­se ... I be­gan.
"Oh, you are sorry for her, are you? That de­ce­it­ful har­lot."
"I'd be sorry for an­yo­ne who had the ill for­tu­ne to marry you."
"Well, you ha­ve the sa­tis­fac­ti­on of kno­wing that I ha­ve a sha­re in that mis­for­tu­ne."
"You are out­ra­ged, I am su­re. Ne­ver mind. You ha­ve le­ar­ned a va­lu­ab­le les­son. You can be de­ce­ived li­ke an­yo­ne el­se. What is go­od for men is per­haps af­ter all go­od for wo­men. You sho­uld not fe­el so angry be­ca­use you ha­ve be­en ca­ught at yo­ur own ga­me."
"I had for­got­ten you are one of the ad­van­ced wo­men, are you not? You are a wo­man and an ar­tist. You stand si­de by si­de with men and com­pe­te with them."
"I com­pe­te as an ar­tist... if you call it com­pe­ting. This is not a mat­ter of sex."
"I ga­ve you yo­ur chan­ce ... re­mem­ber that. Do you think you wo­uld ha­ve fo­und it so easy if I had not?"
"No. But you cla­im to be a lo­ver of art. You re­cog­ni­zed my ta­lent and for that re­ason only you po­in­ted it out to ot­hers."
"I was in­te­res­ted m_you."
"As an ar­tist."
"And as a wo­man. I think I pro­ved that."
"Oh, I tho­ught that was a mat­ter of sor­did re­ven­ge."
"It is al­ways a go­od ru­le to com­bi­ne bu­si­ness with ple­asu­re."
"Well, it is over now. You sub­mit­ted me to the gre­atest hu­mi­li­ati­on one per­son can inf­lict on anot­her. For that I shall ne­ver for­gi­ve you.
You owe me so­met­hing. Well, ke­ep out of my way. Ke­ep away from my son. "
"You ask too much."
He to­ok my hand and crus­hed it in his.
"I wo­uldn't harm eit­her of you," he sa­id.
"I hap­pen to be very fond of you both."
"Who was it sa­id. Fe­ar the Gre­eks when they bring gifts? I ha­ve anot­her com­ment and that is that when men li­ke you play at be­ing kindly they are at the­ir most de­adly."
"Kate, you've chan­ged. Un­ders­tand that I ha­ve chan­ged too."
"I do not be­li­eve you will ever chan­ge for anyt­hing but the wor­se."
"Won't you gi­ve me a chan­ce?"
"No."
"Cruel Ka­te."
"There is only one way in which you can chan­ge my fe­elings to­wards you."
"What is that?"
"Stay away from me ... and mi­ne. And do you want a word of ad­vi­ce?"
"From you, Ka­te, that wo­uld be gol­den, I am su­re."
"I had to fa­ce a frigh­te­ning si­tu­ati­on. When I dis­co­ve­red I was go­ing to ha­ve a child I did not know which way to turn. I had a go­od fri­end and I ca­me thro­ugh; and now I ha­ve co­me to terms with li­fe. You sho­uld do the sa­me. You ha­ve a son.
You may ha­ve mo­re child­ren. You must not bla­me the Prin­ces­se be­ca­use she did on­ce what you ha­ve spent yo­ur li­fe do­ing. At le­ast in her ca­se it was do­ne by con­sen­ting par­ti­es. "
"Oh Ka­te," he sa­id, 'it do­es me so much go­od to be with you. Do you know, I fe­el mo­re ali­ve just to he­ar you talk. I re­al­ly do enj­oy be­ing be­ra­ted by you. Do you re­mem­ber how you fo­ught me? You re­al­ly me­ant to fight, didn't you? Ha­ve pity on me. My mar­ri­age is a di­sas­ter, I ha­te my wi­fe's sickly bas­tard, I des­pi­se my wi­fe. She can­not ha­ve mo­re child­ren. Be­aring the bas­tard did so­met­hing to her. The­re's my sad story. "
"There's a mo­ral in it."
"What's that?"
"The wic­ked ne­ver pros­per."
He la­ug­hed and I sto­od up. He sto­od be­si­de me. I had for­got­ten how big he was, how over­po­we­ring.
"I'd li­ke to ha­ve a chan­ce to put my ca­se to you," he sa­id.
"May I?"
"No," I ans­we­red.
"I am not in­te­res­ted in yo­ur ca­se. I can only see you as a bar­ba­ri­an, a sa­va­ge born out of yo­ur cen­tury. If you wo­uld ple­ase me ... and God knows you owe me so­met­hing ... you will stay out of my li­fe. Le­ave me with what I ha­ve suf­fe­red for and wor­ked for.
These things be­long to me and you ha­ve no part in them. " I cal­led:
"Kendal. Bring down the orif­lam­me. It's ti­me to go ho­me."
The Ba­ron went to the boy and hel­ped him with the ki­te. Ken­dal was le­aping ro­und with ex­ci­te­ment whi­le the Ba­ron han­ded him the ki­te.
"Thank you for it," sa­id Ken­dal.
"It's the best and big­gest ki­te that was ever in the sky."
I tho­ught: Al­re­ady he is ma­king my son li­ke him.
We ma­de our way si­lently ho­me. I was de­eply ap­pre­hen­si­ve. I had not felt such fe­ar for a long ti­me.
Kendal wal­ked so­berly be­si­de me, ca­re­ful­ly car­rying his orif­lam­me ki­te.
Paris un­der Si­ege The pe­ace­ful days we­re over. I was now be­set by an­xi­ety be­ca­use that man had co­me back in­to my li­fe.
I tal­ked it over with Ni­co­le. She tho­ught I was wor­rying un­duly.
"Naturally he's in­te­res­ted in his own son," she sa­id.
"He just wants to see him and the best way of do­ing this, as you wo­uld not wel­co­me him he­re, is in the Gar­dens. What harm is he do­ing?"
"I know that whe­re­ver he is the­re will be harm. What can I do?"
"Nothing," rep­li­ed Ni­co­le calmly.
"You can't stop the boy go­ing to the Gar­dens. He'll want to know why.
He'll be re­sent­ful. Let him go. Let him play with the ki­te the­re.
It'll be all right."
"I'm ter­ri­fi­ed that he will try to ta­ke Ken­dal away from me."
"He wo­uldn't do that. How co­uld he? It wo­uld be kid­nap­ping."
"He is a law un­to him­self."
"He wo­uldn't do that. Whe­re wo­uld he ta­ke the child? To Cen­te­vil­le?
No, of co­ur­se not. He just wants to see him now and then. "
"Nicole ... ha­ve you se­en him?"
"Yes," she ans­we­red.
"You didn't tell me."
"It was only bri­efly and I tho­ught it wo­uld up­set you. As a mat­ter of fact, he is con­cer­ned abo­ut the si­tu­ati­on. Every­body is."
"What si­tu­ati­on?"
"We're on the brink of war. The Em­pe­ror is be­co­ming very un­po­pu­lar.
After what hap­pe­ned to our co­untry at the end of last cen­tury we are a sen­si­ti­ve pe­op­le. "
She ma­na­ged to sub­due my fe­ar for Ken­dal, but I fo­und it very hard to work whi­le he was out of the ho­use, I ar­ran­ged that he sho­uld go out in the af­ter­no­ons when I co­uld go with him. In the mor­nings he sho­uld be at his les­sons. He was af­ter all ne­arly fi­ve ye­ars old.
I knew that he had not se­en the Ba­ron for a we­ek. Stran­gely eno­ugh he did not men­ti­on him. I had co­me to re­ali­ze that child­ren to­ok al­most everyt­hing for gran­ted. The gent­le­man was the­re, he li­ked to talk to him, he had pre­sen­ted him with a ki­te . and then he was not the­re.
That was li­fe, to Ken­dal.
I was im­men­sely re­li­eved.
But when we had vi­si­tors the­re was con­ti­nu­al talk of what they cal­led the une­asy si­tu­ati­on.
"How long is the Se­cond Em­pi­re go­ing to last?" one of my vi­si­tors as­ked me.
I won­de­red why he was so in­ten­se. I, of co­ur­se, had not had grand­pa­rents who had li­ved thro­ugh the Re­vo­lu­ti­on.
"There are pe­op­le," I was told, 'who ha­ve felt they we­re sit­ting on the ed­ge of a vol­ca­no ever sin­ce. "
"The Em­pe­ror has no right to med­dle in Da­nish and Aust­ro-Prus­si­an wars," sa­id one.
"The French army is strong and the Em­pe­ror him­self will le­ad it."
"Don't you be­li­eve it," sa­id anot­her.
"I don't trust the­se Prus­si­ans."
I was too con­cer­ned with my own af­fa­irs to pay much at­ten­ti­on, June had be­en a hot month. It was now over and we we­re now in what was to pro­ve for Fran­ce the fa­tal July of 1870.
Nicole ca­me in one day and bre­ath­les­sly told me that war bet­we­en Fran­ce and Prus­sia had be­en dec­la­red.
I re­ce­ived a let­ter that day which comp­le­tely put thi tho­ught of war out of my mind. It was from Cla­re and thi news it con­ta­ined shat­te­red me.
My de­ar Ka­te [she wro­te], I don't know how to be­gin to tell you. This has be­en a dre­ad­ful shock.
Your fat­her is de­ad. It was so sud­den. Of co­ur­se he was ne­aring to­tal blind­ness. Ka­te, he pre­ten­ded to co­me to terms with it, but he ne­ver did. He used to go to the stu­dio whe­re you and he had be­en so happy to­get­her and sit the­re for ho­urs. It was he­artb­re­aking.
He was sle­eping badly and I got the doc­tor to presc­ri­be so­met­hing for him to ta­ke at nights. I tho­ught that was hel­ping him. And then . one mor­ning when I went in to wa­ken him . I fo­und him de­ad.
He lo­oked so pe­ace­ful lying the­re. He lo­oked yo­ung. As tho­ugh he we­re very happy.
There was an in­qu­est. They we­re very sympat­he­tic. The co­ro­ner sa­id what a tra­gedy it was that a gre­at ar­tist sho­uld be rob­bed of that which was most ne­ces­sary to him. Ot­hers can lo­se the­ir sight and ac­cept the­ir fa­te mo­re easily. But not a man to whom his work had me­ant so much.
They cal­led it su­ici­de whi­le the ba­lan­ce of his mind was dis­tur­bed.
But his mind was as cle­ar as ever. He­j­ust felt that he co­uld not go on wit­ho­ut his eyes.
I don't know what I am go­ing to do, Ka­te. I'm in a sta­te of in­de­ci­si­on at the mo­ment. I sho­uldn't co­me he­re if I we­re you. It wo­uld only ma­ke you mi­se­rab­le. Ever­yo­ne is very kind to me. Fran­ces Me­adows ma­de me stay at the vi­ca­ra­ge, which is whe­re I am now, and Ho­pe has as­ked me to go and stay with them, which I shall do at the end of this we­ek. By the ti­me you get this let­ter I shall pro­bably be the­re.
There is not­hing you can do. Per­haps I will co­me over and see you la­ter on and we can talk abo­ut everyt­hing.
Your fat­her spo­ke of you cons­tantly. Only the day be­fo­re he di­ed he sa­id how happy he was that you we­re so suc­ces­sful. He tal­ked of the boy too. It was al­most as tho­ugh he felt he co­uld die hap­pily kno­wing that you wo­uld carry on the tra­di­ti­on.
Dear Ka­te, I know this is the most ter­rib­le shock for you. I shall try to ma­ke a new li­fe for myself. I fe­el so de­so­la­te and un­hap­py, but I thank God for my go­od fri­ends. I don't know what I shall do. Sell the ho­use, I think, if you are ag­re­e­ab­le to that.
He left me the ho­use and what lit­tle he had ex­cept the mi­ni­atu­res, of co­ur­se. They are for you. Per­haps I'll bring them over to Pa­ris so­me­ti­me . I'm af­ra­id I've told you rat­her clum­sily. I've writ­ten this let­ter three ti­mes. But the­re is no way of sof­te­ning the blow, is the­re?
My lo­ve to you, Ka­te. We must me­et so­on. The­re is a go­od de­al to de­ci­de. Cla­re The let­ter drop­ped from my hands.
Nicole ca­me in. She sa­id: "The Em­pe­ror is go­ing to le­ad the for­ces.
He'll cross the Rhi­ne and for­ce the Ger­man Sta­tes to be­co­me ne­ut­ral.
Why . what's the mat­ter? "
I sa­id: "My fat­her is de­ad. He has kil­led him­self."
She sta­red at me and I thrust the let­ter in­to her hands.
"Oh my God," she whis­pe­red.
She had a won­der­ful­ly sympat­he­tic na­tu­re and it al­ways ama­zed me to see her chan­ge from the bright sop­his­ti­ca­ted worldly wo­man in­to the warm-he­ar­ted and un­ders­tan­ding fri­end.
First of all she ma­de a cup of strong cof­fee which she in244 fHK

DEMON

LOVER |

sis ted that I drink. She tal­ked to me, of my fat­her, of his ta­lent, J of his li­fe's work . and the sud­den ces­sa­ti­on of that work. I "It was too much for him to en­du­re," she sa­id.
"He was ? rob­bed of his gre­atest tre­asu­re ... his eyes. He co­uld ne­ver's ha­ve be­en happy wit­ho­ut them. Per­haps he is happy now." | I felt bet­ter tal­king to Ni­co­le and on­ce aga­in I was gra­te­ful for her pre­sen­ce in my li­fe.
I sup­po­se it was re­al­ly be­ca­use of what had hap­pe­ned that I co­uld only fe­el a lu­ke­warm in­te­rest in the war abo­ut which ever­yo­ne aro­und me was get­ting so ex­ci­ted.
When the news ca­me that the French had dri­ven the Ger­man de­tach­ment out of­Sa­arb­ri­ic­ken, the Pa­ri­si­ans went wild with joy. The­re was dan­cing in the stre­ets and the pe­op­le we­re sin­ging pat­ri­otic songs, sho­uting Vi­ve la Fran­ce' and "A Ber­lin'. Even the lit­tle mo­dis­tes' girls with the­ir bo­xes han­ging on the­ir arms we­re tal­king ex­ci­tedly abo­ut gi­ving the Prus­si­ans a les­son they wo­uld ne­ver for­get.
As for myself I co­uld think of not­hing but my fat­her. When I had se­en him he had se­emed happy- con­tent with his mar­ri­age to Cla­re, happy be­ca­use I was suc­ces­sful and he tho­ught Ken­dal vas go­ing to pa­int too.
And all the ti­me he had be­en ke­eping his tho­ughts to him­self.
If only he had sha­red them!
There we­re ti­mes when I was on the po­int of ma­king ar­ran­ge­ments to re­turn to Eng­land.
What was the use? sa­id Ni­co­le. What co­uld I do? He was de­ad and bu­ri­ed. The­re was not­hing I co­uld do. Be­si­des, how co­uld I le­ave the boy?
How co­uld I in­de­ed. I tho­ught of the Ba­ron, prow­ling ro­und. What wo­uld hap­pen if I we­re not he­re?
"Moreover," went on Ni­co­le, 'it is not easy to tra­vel in war­ti­me. Stay whe­re you are. Wa­it aw­hi­le. You will get over the shock of it. Let Cla­re co­me he­re. You can talk to­get­her and com­fort each ot­her. "
It se­emed so­und ad­vi­ce.
Then things be­gan to chan­ge. The spi­rit of op­ti­mism had gi­ven way to one of ap­pre­hen­si­on. The war was not go­ing as well as it had se­emed to at first. Sa­arb­ri­ic­ken was not­hing mo­re than a skir­mish at which the French had had the­ir only suc­cess.
Gloom be­gan to show it­self in the stre­ets of Pa­ris. A mer­cu­ri­al pe­op­le on­ce ap­pla­uding vic­tory with ent­hu­si­asm we­re now sunk in glo­om and as­king each ot­her, What next?
The Em­pe­ror was with the army; the Emp­ress had ta­ken up re­si­den­ce in Pa­ris as Re­gent; and that first be­li­ef that it wo­uld so­on be over and the Prus­si­ans ta­ught a les­son be­gan to fa­de. The French army was not what it had be­en tho­ught to be. On the ot­her hand the Prus­si­ans we­re dis­cip­li­ned, well or­de­red and de­ter­mi­ned on vic­tory.
Everyone was tal­king abo­ut the war. It was a mo­men­tary set­back, sa­id so­me. It was not pos­sib­le that a gre­at co­untry li­ke Fran­ce co­uld be hu­mi­li­ated by lit­tle Prus­sia.
Even when sit­tings be­gan to be can­cel­led and so­me of my cli­ents we­re le­aving Pa­ris for the co­untry, I went on thin­king of my fat­her and ima­gi­ning what his tho­ughts must ha­ve be­en when he ma­de his fi­nal and fa­te­ful de­ci­si­on. It was not un­til I he­ard that the Prus­si­ans we­re clo­sing in on Metz and that the Em­pe­ror's army was in di­sor­derly ret­re­at bloc­king the ro­ads and stop­ping the mo­ve­ment of sup­pli­es to the front, that I be­gan to see that we we­re fa­cing re­al di­sas­ter.
Then ca­me the news of the di­re ca­la­mity at Se­dan and that the Em­pe­ror, with eighty tho­usand French tro­ops, was a pri­so­ner of war in the hands of the Prus­si­ans.
"What now?" as­ked Ni­co­le.
"What can we do but wa­it and see?" I as­ked.
There was fury in the stre­ets. Tho­se who had be­en proc­la­iming the Em­pe­ror and crying A Ber­lin we­re now fu­ming aga­inst him.
The Emp­ress had fled to Eng­land.
September had co­me. Who wo­uld ha­ve be­li­eved that the­re co­uld be such chan­ges in so short a ti­me.
Those few days se­emed end­less.
"They'll ma­ke pe­ace," sa­id Ni­co­le.
"We shall ha­ve to ag­ree to con­di­ti­ons. Then everyt­hing will set­tle down to nor­mal."
Two days af­ter the fall of Se­dan the Ba­ron ca­me to see us.
I was co­ming down to the sa­lon when I he­ard vo­ices. A vi­si­tor, I tho­ught.
I ope­ned the do­or and gas­ped with as­to­nish­ment, for the Ba­ron ca­me swiftly to­wards me and ta­king my hand kis­sed it. I withd­rew it qu­ickly and lo­oked rep­ro­ach­ful­ly at Ni­co­le. I had the imp­res­si­on that she had in­vi­ted him he­re.
But this was not so and he dis­pel­led that sus­pi­ci­on im­me­di­ately.
"I ca­me to warn you," he sa­id.
"You know what is hap­pe­ning." He did not wa­it for a com­ment from us.
"It's ... de­bac­le," he went on.
"We ha­ve al­lo­wed a fo­ol to go­vern Fran­ce."
"He did so­me go­od," Ni­co­le de­fen­ded the Em­pe­ror.
"He is just not a sol­di­er."
"If he is not a sol­di­er he sho­uld not go to war. He mis­led the co­untry in­to thin­king it had an army which co­uld fight. It was unp­re­pa­red .. unt­ra­ined ... The­re was not a chan­ce aga­inst the Ger­mans. Ho­we­ver, we was­te ti­me and God knows we ha­ve lit­tle of it to spa­re."
"The Ba­ron is sug­ges­ting that we le­ave Pa­ris," sa­id Ni­co­le.
"Leave Pa­ris? To go whe­re?"
"He is of­fe­ring us the shel­ter of his cha­te­au un­til we can ma­ke our plans."
I sa­id: "I ha­ve no in­ten­ti­on of go­ing to Cen­te­vil­le."
"Do you un­ders­tand the si­tu­ati­on?" he de­man­ded.
"I ha­ve be­en fol­lo­wing the news. I know the­re has be­en di­sas­ter at Se­dan and the Em­pe­ror ta­ken pri­so­ner."
"And that do­es not gi­ve you ca­use for alarm?"
I sa­id: "Not­hing wo­uld ma­ke me co­me to yo­ur cast­le. I ha­ve be­en the­re be­fo­re."
"The si­tu­ati­on is grim, Ka­te," sa­id Ni­co­le.
"I know. But I shall stay he­re. It's my ho­me now, and if it we­re im­pos­sib­le to li­ve he­re I sup­po­se I co­uld go to Eng­land."
"You will not find tra­vel­ling easy in war­ti­me."
I lo­oked at him ste­adily and I co­uld not shut out the me­mory of him in that tur­ret ro­om with tri­umph in his eyes and the de­ter­mi­na­ti­on to en­for­ce his will.
"I shall stay he­re," I sa­id firmly.
"You're be­ing fo­olish. You don't un­ders­tand what it me­ans to ha­ve an oc­cup­ying enemy in yo­ur co­untry."
"And what of you? You are in the sa­me co­untry."
"The Prus­si­ans will not co­me to my cha­te­au."
"Why not?"
"I shall not al­low it."
"You ... you're go­ing to stand out aga­inst the Prus­si­an ar­mi­es?"
"We're was­ting ti­me," he sa­id.
"You sho­uld pre­pa­re to le­ave at on­ce."
I lo­oked at Ni­co­le and sa­id: "You go if you want to. I shall stay he­re."
"Kate.. it's not sa­fe."
"There is a cho­ice of two evils. I cho­ose this one."
The Ba­ron was re­gar­ding me with that qu­iz­zi­cal lo­ok which I had se­en be­fo­re.
"Go, Ni­co­le," I sa­id.
"You be­li­eve him. I don't."
He ra­ised his sho­ul­ders in a help­less ges­tu­re.
Nicole sa­id: "You know I won't le­ave you and Ken­dal."
The Ba­ron shrug­ged his sho­ul­ders.
"Then the­re is not­hing mo­re I can do. Adi­eu, la­di­es. And may you ha­ve bet­ter luck than you ha­ve go­od sen­se."
With that he was go­ne.
Nicole sat down and sta­red in front ot­her.
"You sho­uld ha­ve go­ne with him," I sa­id.
She sho­ok her he­ad.
"No ... I'll stay he­re. This is my ho­me. You and the boy are my fa­mily."
"But you think I'm wrong."
She lif­ted her sho­ul­ders rat­her as he had do­ne a few mo­ments be­fo­re.
"It re­ma­ins to be se­en," she sa­id.
Those Sep­tem­ber days we­re stran­gely un­re­al hazy in the mor­nings and when the sun ro­se the city se­emed to be to­uc­hed with a gol­den light.
There was ten­si­on on the stre­ets as the pe­op­le wa­ited for news.
The who­le of Pa­ris was in re­volt aga­inst the Em­pe­ror whom they dec­la­red had bet­ra­yed them. It se­emed such a short whi­le ago that they had che­ered him and his be­a­uti­ful Emp­ress. Now they des­pi­sed them. It had be­en the sa­me with the kings, they sa­id. The Bo­na­par­tes be­ha­ved as tho­ugh they we­re kings and Pa­ris had re­j­ec­ted tho­se flam­bo­yant ru­lers eighty ye­ars be­fo­re.
I ca­ught a glimp­se du­ring tho­se days of what it must ha­ve be­en li­ke in pa­ris be­fo­re the Re­vo­lu­ti­on burst upon the city.
When Fran­ce dec­la­red her­self to be a Re­pub­lic on­ce mo­re, the­re was ex­ci­te­ment in the stre­ets. No mo­re kings. No mo­re em­pe­rors. This was the pe­op­le's land.
But this co­uld not hold back the Ger­man ad­van­ce, and as Sep­tem­ber ne­ared its end ca­me the fi­nal blow. Stras­bo­urg, one of the last strong­holds of the French, ca­pi­tu­la­ted to the Ger­mans, who­se ar­mi­es we­re now marc­hing on Pa­ris.
Then ca­me the ter­rif­ying in­for­ma­ti­on. The King of Prus­sia was ac­tu­al­ly in the Pa­la­ce of Ver­sa­il­les.
We had for so­me ti­me be­gun to fe­el the stra­in. Fo­od was fast di­sap­pe­aring from the shops. Ni­co­le had sa­id we must get to­get­her what we co­uld. If we had plenty of flo­ur we co­uld at le­ast ma­ke bre­ad. And as long as we co­uld we went on bu­ying.
There ca­me a day which I shall ne­ver for­get. Ni­co­le went out to see what she co­uld buy and whi­le she was go­ne the bom­bard­ment star­ted.
I he­ard the exp­lo­si­on and won­de­red what it was. I tho­ught the­re must be figh­ting ne­ar the outs­kirts of the city. I was wor­ri­ed abo­ut Ken­dal. I tho­ught then that I sho­uld ha­ve lis­te­ned to the Ba­ron. He was right. We sho­uld ha­ve left Pa­ris.
There was just that one exp­lo­si­on.
Kendal was in the stu­dio do­ing his les­sons with Je­an­ne. He was using the stu­dio now as I had had no cli­ents for we­eks.
I was thin­king that Ni­co­le se­emed to ha­ve be­en away a long ti­me when I he­ard the con­ci­er­ge cal­ling me.
I ran down. A boy was the­re.
"Madame Col­li­son," he sa­id, 'will you co­me at on­ce to the Ho­pi­tal St.
Jacques. A lady the­re is as­king for you. "
"A... lady?"
"Madame St. Gi­les ... She has be­en hurt. The­se cur­sed Ger­mans .."
I felt sick with fe­ar. The exp­lo­si­on! They we­re bom­bar­ding Pa­ris and I had to go the­re as fast as I co­uld, but I tho­ught of Ken­dal.
I sa­id: "Gi­ve me a mo­ment. I must tell them I am le­aving."
I cal­led to Je­an­ne.
"Madame St. Gi­les has be­en hurt," I sa­id bri­efly.
"I'm go­ing to the hos­pi­tal. Ta­ke ca­re of Ken­dal whi­le I'm away."
Jeanne nod­ded. I co­uld trust her.
Fortunately the hos­pi­tal was only a few stre­ets away and wit­hin a few mi­nu­tes I was the­re.
Nicole al­most un­re­cog­ni­zab­le was lying in a bed. She was wrap­ped in a whi­te ro­be and the­re we­re blo­ods­ta­ins on it.
I threw myself on to my kne­es and ga­zed at her.
She re­cog­ni­zed me, but I think only just.
"Kate," she whis­pe­red.
"I'm he­re, Ni­co­le. I ca­me as so­on as I co­uld."
"They're bom­bar­ding Pa­ris. They're all ro­und us... I was hur­rying ho­me to tell you ..."
"Should you talk?"
"I must talk, Ka­te."
"No," I sa­id.
"You sho­uldn't. Are you all right he­re? Is the­re anyt­hing I can do?
Are you in pa­in?"
She sho­ok her he­ad.
"I can't ... fe­el ... much. So­met­hing's hap­pe­ned to me."
"Oh Ni­co­le!" I sa­id and I was over­co­me with re­mor­se and sha­me. She sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve be­en he­re. She wo­uld ha­ve go­ne away with the Ba­ron but for me.
"Kate ..."
"Yes?"
She ga­ve me a cro­oked smi­le. The­re was no co­lo­ur in her fa­ce. She lo­oked de­ad. apart from her eyes.
"I... I want to tell you ..."
"You sho­uldn't talk."
"It's the end... for me. Stran­ge... Shot in a Pa­ris stre­et. I of­ten won­de­red what my end wo­uld be. Now I know."
"You sho­uld try to sle­ep."
She smi­led.
"I want you to... un­ders­tand ..."
"I un­ders­tand, my de­ar fri­end, that I co­uld ne­ver ha­ve got thro­ugh my tro­ub­les but for you." I felt the te­ars wel­ling in­to my eyes.
She blin­ked. I think she was trying to sha­ke her he­ad.
"Him... Ka­te."
"Him?"
"He's sa­fe in his Nor­man strong­hold," I sa­id.
"Try Ka­te ... Try to un­ders­tand. He was the one. It was his ho­use .
He wan­ted to ma­ke su­re that you we­re all right..."
What was she trying to tell me?
"Don't fret," I sa­id.
"Whatever it was do­esn't mat­ter now."
"Yes ... yes ..." she mur­mu­red.
"Try to un­ders­tand him, Ka­te.
There's go­od in him . "
I smi­led at her and a cer­ta­in im­pa­ti­en­ce sho­wed it­self in her slur­red vo­ice.
"He sent me... to find you, Ka­te. It wasn't by chan­ce. He wan­ted to be su­re that you we­re ... lo­oked af­ter."
"You me­an that he knew all the ti­me whe­re I was?"
"It was his ho­use. He lo­oked af­ter everyt­hing, Ka­te ... pa­id for everyt­hing ... ar­ran­ged abo­ut the birth. He has lo­oked af­ter everyt­hing sin­ce. He sent the pe­op­le who ca­me for the port­ra­its. You see... he ca­red, Ka­te."
This was too much. It was one shock fol­lo­wing on anot­her. He had watc­hed over me then. He had known whe­re I was all the ti­me. He must ha­ve gu­es­sed the­re wo­uld be a child. He had sent Ni­co­le to lo­ok af­ter me . to fe­ign fri­ends­hip . Oh no, not that. She had be­en my true fri­end. But in the be­gin­ning he had sent her. The ele­gant, com­for­tab­le ho­use, with its con­ve­ni­ent stu­dio had be­en pro­vi­ded by him.
Nicole had re­por­ted to him re­gu­larly and in ti­me he had co­me to see his son in the Gar­dens.
It was a blin­ding re­ve­la­ti­on, but so­me­how it did not se­em im­por­tant with Ni­co­le lying the­re . dying. Yes, I knew she was dying. She wo­uld ne­ver co­me back to us. That bo­he­mi­an li­fe ot­hers, li­ving in ele­gant sa­lons as mist­ress of one of the most po­wer­ful men in Fran­ce had en­ded in a Pa­ris stre­et and he­re she was in a hos­pi­tal for the po­or.
"Oh Ni­co­le," I sa­id.
"Dear Ni­co­le, you must get well. You must co­me back with us."
She smi­led at me and her eyes we­re al­re­ady be­co­ming gla­zed.
"It's fi­nis­hed," she sa­id.
"It's all over. I've be­en too badly hurt. I know it is the end. I'm glad you ca­me, Ka­te. I had to spe­ak to you .. be­fo­re I went. For­gi­ve him. The­re is go­od in him. You might find it."
"Don't talk of him."
"I must. I must ma­ke you see how it was. I lo­ved him... in my way. He lo­ved me ... in his way... the light way. Not as he wo­uld lo­ve you.
You co­uld put the go­od in him, Ka­te. Ple­ase try. "
"You sho­uldn't be thin­king of him, Ni­co­le. Ple­ase rest. You're go­ing to get well. How co­uld we get on wit­ho­ut you?"
"You for­gi­ve me ..."
"What is the­re to for­gi­ve? It is you who sho­uld for­gi­ve me. I kept you he­re. I sho­uld ha­ve ma­de you go with him. You knew that was right... and you wan­ted to. But I wo­uldn't go and be­ca­use ... Oh, Ni­co­le, how can I thank you for all you did for me?"
"He did it;
"No, Ni­co­le, you .. you."
"Please, Ka­te."
She was ple­ading with me and I knew she was dying.
I nod­ded my he­ad and saw her exp­res­si­on chan­ge. I think then she was at pe­ace.
She clo­sed her eyes. She was bre­at­hing with dif­fi­culty. I sat on. I fan­ci­ed my pre­sen­ce com­for­ted her. It must ha­ve be­en half an ho­ur be­fo­re her bre­at­hing chan­ged. She was ma­king ras­ping no­ises, trying to get her bre­ath.
I ran out to call so­me­one. I fo­und a nur­se and to­ok her to Ni­co­le's bed­si­de.
Nicole was si­lent now.
"She was badly hit," sa­id the nur­se.
"She hadn't a chan­ce."
Then she clo­sed Ni­co­le's eyes and put the she­et over her fa­ce.
I stumb­led out of the hos­pi­tal. I co­uld not ta­ke it in. Ni­co­le de­ad!
But that mor­ning she had be­en ali­ve and well. my de­arest fri­end, the one on whom I re­li­ed. And now she was go­ne. and all in an ho­ur or so.
Life was harsh, I had re­ason to know, but that tra­gedy co­uld co­me so swiftly had ne­ver oc­cur­red to me.
"May you ha­ve mo­re luck than you ha­ve go­od sen­se." co­uld he­ar his vo­ice now. He had co­me for us. He had ca­red for us . all the ti­me. It had not be­en fri­ends­hip which had promp­ted Ni­co­le to help me in the first pla­ce. It had be­en do­ne on his inst­ruc­ti­ons.
And now Ni­co­le was de­ad. How co­uld I tell Ken­dal that he wo­uld ne­ver see Ni­co­le aga­in? How co­uld I ever for­get that but for me she wo­uld not ha­ve be­en in Pa­ris. She wo­uld be ali­ve at this mo­ment.
The hor­ror of it all burst on me. Shots such as tho­se which had kil­led Ni­co­le co­uld ta­ke any of us at any ti­me. Oh God, I tho­ught. Ken­dal!
I ran as fast as I co­uld.
The ho­use was still the­re. I had half ex­pec­ted it to be dest­ro­yed.
War. We we­re at war. I had ne­ver tho­ught of be­ing in­vol­ved in war.
Now it had co­me with all its tra­gedy, its dest­ruc­ti­on, its ma­iming and kil­lings . its bre­aking up of li­ves.
I ran in­to the ho­use cal­ling "Je­an­ne! Ken­dal! Qu­ick. Whe­re are you?"
Jeanne ca­me run­ning to me. Her fa­ce was whi­te. She was cle­arly dist­ra­ught.
"Where is Ken­dal?" I as­ked.
She sa­id: "He's go­ne ... go­ne to sa­fety. The gent­le­man in the Gar­dens"
The ro­om se­emed to be spin­ning ro­und me. I felt sick with ap­pre­hen­si­on.
"He ca­me just af­ter you'd go­ne. He sa­id Pa­ris was no pla­ce for the boy. He was go­ing to ta­ke him away to sa­fety. I tri­ed ... but he just to­ok him."
"And Ken­dal..."
"He sa­id he wo­uldn't go wit­ho­ut his mot­her... but he was pic­ked up car­ri­ed away ..."
I co­ve­red my fa­ce with my hands. I sa­id: "This can't be true. He's ta­ken him to Cen­te­vil­le. I must go af­ter him. Oh Je­an­ne ... Ni­co­le is de­ad."
She sta­red at me.
"I ... I've be­en with her," I stam­me­red.
"And ... whi­le I was with her he ca­me and to­ok my son away. Je­an­ne I must go af­ter him. I know whe­re. Co­me with me. You can't stay he­re.
If you co­uld ha­ve se­en " How can we get to this pla­ce? "
"I don't know. But we must go at on­ce. Ta­ke all the mo­ney we can.
There is not a mo­ment to lo­se. We ha­ve to go af­ter him. "
I ran to my ro­om. I gat­he­red to­get­her all the mo­ney that was in the ho­use. I put on my clo­ak. Ac­ti­on, des­pe­ra­te ac­ti­on was the best way to li­ve thro­ugh a si­tu­ati­on li­ke this.
I went downs­ta­irs. Je­an­ne was al­re­ady the­re.
I cri­ed out: "Co­me then."
The do­or ope­ned and he was stan­ding the­re the Ba­ron him­self, hol­ding Ken­dal by the hand.
I ga­ve a cry of re­li­ef and ran to my son, kne­eling and emb­ra­cing him, clin­ging to him. He lo­oked be­wil­de­red but cle­arly sha­red my re­li­ef.
"There's not a mo­ment to lo­se," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"You are dres­sed.
Where is Ni­co­le? Go and tell her. "
I sta­red at him for a few se­conds unab­le to spe­ak.
"Hurry," he sho­uted.
"This city will be un­der si­ege in a few ho­urs .. per­haps it is al­re­ady.
Get Ni­co­le ... qu­ickly."
I sa­id: "Ni­co­le is de­ad. I ha­ve just left her."
"Dead!"
"She is in the hos­pi­tal. She was hit ... by this ... bom­bard­ment. I sta­yed with her un­til she di­ed."
He was stun­ned. I had ne­ver se­en him mo­ved by emo­ti­on be­fo­re.
"Nicole ... de­ad ..." I he­ard him mur­mur.
"You ... you're su­re?"
"I ha­ve just left her. That's whe­re I was. They sent for me ..."
I tur­ned away from him.
I he­ard him say: "She was a go­od wo­man ... the best..." And then he re­co­ve­red him­self.
"Come on. The­re's no ti­me to lo­se." He lo­oked at je­an­ne "You too. You can't stay he­re."
We went in­to the stre­ets. The­re was hardly an­yo­ne abo­ut. The bom­bard­ment had sent them all scur­rying in­to the­ir ho­uses.
He sa­id: "I ha­ve hor­ses ne­arby. We'll get away from he­re as fast as we can. Co­me now. Every mi­nu­te is im­por­tant."
We we­re at the top of the stre­et when I he­ard the se­cond exp­lo­si­on of the day.
I think that was the worst mo­ment of my li­fe. A bu­il­ding be­si­de us had be­en struck. Ti­me ap­pe­ared to slow down. I saw it stag­ger li­ke a drun­ken man; then it star­ted to crumb­le . slowly, and the fa­ca­de se­emed to slit­her to the gro­und. I saw . di­sas­ter. Ken­dal was sta­ring up at it as tho­ugh mes­me­ri­zed. I he­ard the Ba­ron sho­ut at him.
The boy tur­ned but was too la­te to mo­ve be­fo­re the­re was a vi­olent rumb­ling and the air was full of blin­ding dust.
Kendal was spraw­ling on the gro­und. I knew that that pi­le of bricks and rub­ble was abo­ut to fall on him. I ran . but the Ba­ron was ahe­ad of me. It was too la­te to pick up the boy . so he threw him­self on top of him for pro­tec­ti­on.
I scre­amed. I co­uld see not­hing for a se­cond or so be­ca­use of the blin­ding dust.
"Kendal," I cal­led des­pe­ra­tely.
Then I was kne­eling be­si­de them te­aring off the rub­ble.
There was blo­od on the Ba­ron's leg. I kept cal­ling Ken­dal.
Kendal craw­led out and sto­od be­fo­re me. I felt a crazy joy be­ca­use he ap­pe­ared to be un­hurt.
But the Ba­ron was lying the­re among the bricks and the dust. still and si­lent.
Jeanne, Ken­dal and I knelt down in the dust be­si­de the Ba­ron. His leg se­emed to be twis­ted un­der him. He was un­cons­ci­o­us and I tho­ught that he was de­ad. Stran­ge emo­ti­ons swept over me. I had se­en de­ath on­ce that mor­ning. But it co­uld not hap­pen to the Ba­ron. Ne­ver the Ba­ron.
He was in­dest­ruc­tib­le.
"We must get help at on­ce," I sa­id to je­an­ne Je­an­ne sto­od up. Pe­op­le we­re now co­ming out of the­ir ho­uses to see what da­ma­ge had be­en do­ne. We cal­led to them and so­on the­re was a lit­tle gro­up aro­und us. I co­uld not ta­ke my eyes from him lying the­re, inert, blo­od on his clot­hes, his usu­al­ly fresh co­lo­ured fa­ce de­athly pa­le, his eyes clo­sed. I was cons­ci­o­us of a ter­rib­le emp­ti­ness.
Nicole, my de­ar fri­end had go­ne for ever and that was a sad­ness which wo­uld ha­unt my li­fe. But I co­uld not ima­gi­ne a li­fe wit­ho­ut the Ba­ron, to re­mem­ber, to re­vi­le, to ha­te.
Someone had bro­ught out a lad­der and they put him on it using it as a stretc­her. They co­uld ta­ke him to the hos­pi­tal they sa­id.
I rep­li­ed on im­pul­se: "Bring him to my ho­use. I can lo­ok af­ter him the­re. And go and get a doc­tor ... qu­ickly ... qu­ickly ..."
He was car­ri­ed in­to the ho­use. Ken­dal clung to my hand.
"Is he de­ad?" he as­ked.
"No," I ans­we­red fi­er­cely.
"No... he can't be de­ad. Not the Ba­ron."
That was the be­gin­ning of the si­ege of Pa­ris, the most tra­gic and hu­mi­li­ating pe­ri­od of that gre­at city's his­tory.
I ga­ve lit­tle tho­ught to the war du­ring the next day. My mind was so­lely on my pa­ti­ent. The doc­tor had co­me. Part of the bo­ne in the Ba­ron's right leg had be­en crus­hed. He might be ab­le to walk aga­in per­haps with the aid of a stick. His vi­tal or­gans we­re un­da­ma­ged and strong and the loss of blo­od and the shock had not be­en too gre­at for him; he wo­uld re­co­ver and be ab­le to re­su­me a rest­ric­ted way of li­fe.
I sat by his bed thro­ug­ho­ut that first night. He was un­cons­ci­o­us then and we we­re at that ti­me un­cer­ta­in how much da­ma­ge had be­en do­ne. I was glad they had not ta­ken him in­to the hos­pi­tal. They had ot­her vic­tims of the bom­bard­ments the­re and we­re pre­pa­ring for a rush of ca­su­al­ti­es so the­re was no pres­su­re to send him. I sa­id I co­uld nur­se him with the help of je­an­ne and the doc­tor was only too glad that I sho­uld do so.
He sho­wed me how to dress the leg. The wo­und ap­pal­led me. The­re was con­si­de­rab­le pa­in, I knew, but the Ba­ron bo­re that with the for­ti­tu­de I wo­uld ex­pect of him.
I had, with je­an­ne help, mo­ved the beds down so that we we­re all on one flo­or and not too far from each ot­her. I had a ter­rib­le fe­ar that I might be se­pa­ra­ted from Ken­dal.
Every so­und ma­de us start for we fe­ared that the bom­bard­ment wo­uld be­gin aga­in, but it did not and the stre­ets we­re qu­i­et.
It was a stran­ge night that first one sit­ting by his bed. I co­uld not be­li­eve that only the night be­fo­re I had slept in my bed with Ni­co­le in her ro­om and Ken­dal sa­fe in his.
My gre­at fe­ar was for Ken­dal. I li­ved aga­in and aga­in that ter­rib­le mo­ment when I had tho­ught the bu­il­ding was go­ing to col­lap­se on him.
And, if the Ba­ron had not thrown him­self upon him, if he had not pro­tec­ted him . my small child wo­uld su­rely ha­ve be­en crus­hed to de­ath.
It was stran­ge what I owed this man. All my hu­mi­li­ati­on, my su­bj­ec­ti­on and now. my son's li­fe.
I kept he­aring Ni­co­le's vo­ice.
"There is go­od in him. You can find it.
Yes, I had fo­und so­met­hing go­od al­re­ady. He had co­me to ta­ke us away . ris­king his li­fe to do so, as it was now pro­ved. He had sa­ved my son's li­fe.
I sat the­re thro­ugh the dark­ness of the night. I did not light a cand­le. Ni­co­le had sa­id so­me days be­fo­re that we must pre­ser­ve the cand­les . we must pre­ser­ve everyt­hing. The­re was cer­ta­in to be a shor­ta­ge.
So I sat the­re and watc­hed the dawn co­me whi­le I lo­oked down on the con­to­urs of his sle­eping fa­ce. A cer­ta­in co­lo­ur had re­tur­ned to it and it no lon­ger had that lo­ok of de­ath on it. He was bre­at­hing mo­re easily. I knew that he wo­uld li­ve and I felt a gre­at glad­ness in my he­art.
I clo­sed my eyes and I tho­ught: Too much is hap­pe­ning in too short a ti­me. De­ath is al­ways clo­se, I sup­po­se, but at ti­mes li­ke this it co­mes ne­arer. Ni­co­le had al­ways se­emed so ali­ve . and then sud­denly, wal­king along a stre­et, she is struck down . and that is the end. And the Ba­ron! It co­uld so easily ha­ve hap­pe­ned to him.
It was war. I had brus­hed it asi­de, shown lit­tle in­te­rest in it.
Stupid wars which men fo­ught to amu­se them­sel­ves, for no one ever ca­me well out of war. And pe­op­le di­ed . one's lo­ved ones went in­to the stre­et and that was the end.
I ope­ned my eyes. He was lo­oking at me.
"Kate," he sa­id.
I le­aned over him.
"How do you fe­el?"
"Strange," he sa­id.
"Very stran­ge ..."
"It was the bom­bard­ment. A wall fell on you."
"I re­mem­ber." Then qu­ickly: "The boy?"
"He's un­har­med."
"Thank God."
"Thank you, too," I sa­id.
A smi­le to­uc­hed his lips and he clo­sed his eyes.
I felt the te­ars in my own. I tho­ught: He will get well. Yes, he is in­dest­ruc­tib­le.
I was glad he was with us. Even lying in a bed mo­re de­ad than ali­ve he bro­ught a fe­eling of se­cu­rity.
Kendal had slip­ped in­to the ro­om. I held out my hand and he ran to me.
"Is he as­le­ep?"
I nod­ded.
"Is he very hurt?"
"I think he might be."
"Do you think he wo­uld li­ke to co­me to the Gar­dens and fly my orif­lam­me ki­te to­mor­row?"
"Not to­mor­row," I sa­id.
"But per­haps ... one day."
There was an un­re­ality abo­ut the days which fol­lo­wed. My tho­ughts we­re en­ti­rely ta­ken up with nur­sing the Ba­ron, which was the ma­in pre­oc­cu­pa­ti­on of our days. It was a gre­at re­li­ef when the bom­bard­ment stop­ped and the days we­re qu­i­et, tho­ugh omi­no­usly so. The Ba­ron spent most of tho­se first days in sle­ep. The doc­tor had gi­ven me so­met­hing to ma­ke him do so and he had ta­ught me how to dress the wo­und. He was an ear­nest yo­ung man, very con­cer­ned abo­ut the si­tu­ati­on.
"We we­re ex­pec­ting a rush of ca­su­al­ti­es," he sa­id, 'but I think the enemy re­ali­zes tho­se sort of tac­tics don't work so well. They can bat­ter the town but Pa­ris is a big pla­ce and if the pe­op­le see the­ir city at­tac­ked they be­co­me stub­born. The­se Prus­si­ans know how to con­duct a war and my vi­ew is that they will try to star­ve us in­to sur­ren­der. "
"A grim pros­pect."
"For Pa­ris ... yes. Tho­se Bo­na­par­tes ha­ve a gre­at de­al to ans­wer for."
He was a stern re­pub­li­can but I co­uldn't ca­re abo­ut po­li­tics, and I was gra­te­ful for what he did for me.
Jeanne was a won­der­ful help. She went out every mor­ning to see what she co­uld buy and it was the ex­ci­te­ment of the day to lo­ok thro­ugh her shop­ping bas­ket when she re­tur­ned. We had a con­si­de­rab­le amo­unt of flo­ur in the ho­use so we we­re ab­le to ba­ke bre­ad which wo­uld ke­ep us go­ing for so­me ti­me if everyt­hing el­se fa­iled.
I to­ok Ken­dal for a walk in the af­ter­no­ons whi­le Je­an­ne re­ma­ined at ho­me in ca­se the Ba­ron wan­ted anyt­hing. I ne­ver went far from the ho­use and I wo­uld not let Ken­dal out of my sight.
I exp­la­ined to him what had hap­pe­ned to Ni­co­le. He was an ext­re­mely in­tel­li­gent child and on­ce aga­in I was ama­zed by the man­ner in which child­ren adapt them­sel­ves to cir­cums­tan­ces. He se­emed to grasp the fact that the­re had be­en a war which the French had lost and be­ca­use of this we we­re now li­ving in a be­si­eged city.
There was pi­ti­ful­ly lit­tle to see in the shops. Qu­ite a lot of the pro­du­ce sold in Pa­ris ca­me from the sur­ro­un­ding vil­la­ges. We had of­ten he­ard them trund­ling in in the early ho­urs of the mor­ning on the way to Les Hal­les. They had co­me from all di­rec­ti­ons. Now no one ca­me in­to Pa­ris and no one went out.
The days had set­tled in­to a ro­uti­ne which se­emed par­ti­cu­larly qu­i­et.
It was an omi­no­us mo­no­tony be­ca­use not­hing stays still for long in a si­ege.
The Ba­ron was re­ga­ining his strength. His leg was still in a sorry sta­te but his cons­ti­tu­ti­on was just abo­ut as strong as a man's co­uld be and he was fast re­co­ve­ring from the shock and loss of blo­od.
Now he co­uld sit up. I prop­ped his leg up with pil­lows and I fo­und a stick which he co­uld use when he hob­bled abo­ut. But even the shor­test walk was such an ef­fort at first that he wo­uld col­lap­se ex­ha­us­ted af­ter a few mi­nu­tes.
It was stran­ge to see him strip­ped of that strength which had be­en so much a part of him.
"You're li­ke Sam­son," I told him, 'shorn of his locks. "
"Remember," he sa­id, 'his ha­ir grew aga­in. "
"Yes. And you will re­ga­in yo­ur strength."
"And be a crip­ple?"
"You're for­tu­na­te. It co­uld ha­ve be­en wor­se."
"It might ha­ve be­en bet­ter too," he ad­ded iro­ni­cal­ly.
"You are thin­king that if I had not stub­bornly re­fu­sed to le­ave Pa­ris when you first as­ked, this wo­uld not ha­ve hap­pe­ned to you. Ni­co­le wo­uld be he­re ..." My vo­ice bro­ke and he sa­id: "We all ma­ke mis­ta­kes so­me­ti­mes."
"Even you," I sa­id, with a flash of the old en­mity.
"Yes," he sa­id, 'alas, even I. "
Our re­la­ti­ons­hip had chan­ged. That was ine­vi­tab­le. He was the pa­ti­ent;
I was the nur­se; and we we­re li­ving in a si­tu­ati­on char­ged with dan­ger.
We did not know from one mo­ment to the next when de­ath wo­uld co­me to cla­im us.
My gre­at ho­pe was that I sho­uld not be left and that if de­ath ca­me it wo­uld ta­ke me and not Ken­dal or the Ba­ron. I used to lie awa­ke and think: If I we­re ta­ken he wo­uld lo­ok af­ter Ken­dal. He ca­res for him.
He sa­ved his li­fe. I sho­uld ha­te to think of my son's be­ing bro­ught up to be such anot­her as he is, but he wo­uld sa­ve him and he lo­ves him.
So ple­ase God, don't ta­ke them and le­ave me.
There we­re no ser­vants now. They had left be­fo­re Ni­co­le di­ed. So­me of them had had the wis­dom to get out of the city. They we­re co­untry girls who had ho­mes to go to. So the­re we­re just myself, Ken­dal, the Ba­ron and Je­an­ne. The con­ci­er­ge and his wi­fe we­re in the­ir apart­ments, but they kept very much to them­sel­ves.
I spent a gre­at de­al of ti­me with the Ba­ron. When I ca­me in­to the ro­om whe­re he lay I no­ti­ced the ple­asu­re which sho­wed in his eyes.
Sometimes he sa­id: "You've be­en a long ti­me."
Then I wo­uld reply: "You don't ne­ed cons­tant ca­re now. You're get­ting bet­ter. I ha­ve ot­her things to do, you know."
I spo­ke to him li­ke that, with a to­uch of as­pe­rity just as I used to.
I don't think he wan­ted it to chan­ge and nor did I. "Sit down the­re," he wo­uld say.
"Talk to me. Tell me what the mad­men are do­ing now."
Then I wo­uld tell him what I had le­ar­ned of the war, that the Prus­si­ans we­re sur­ro­un­ding Pa­ris and even pe­net­ra­ting the north of the co­untry.
"They'll ta­ke the towns," he sa­id.
"They won't bot­her abo­ut pla­ces li­ke Cen­te­vil­le."
Then I told him go­ods had al­most di­sap­pe­ared from the shops and it was go­ing to be dif­fi­cult to fe­ed our­sel­ves if it went on li­ke this.
"And you ha­ve sad­dled yo­ur­self with anot­her mo­uth to fe­ed."
"I owe you that," I sa­id, 'and I li­ke to pay my debts. "
"So the ba­lan­ce has chan­ged. You are on the de­bit si­de now."
"No," I rep­li­ed.
"But you sa­ved my son's li­fe and for that I will lo­ok af­ter you un­til you are well eno­ugh to stand on yo­ur own fe­et."
He tri­ed to ta­ke my hand but I withd­rew it.
"And that ot­her lit­tle mis­de­me­ano­ur?" he as­ked.
"That act of sa­va­gery? No, that is still outs­tan­ding."
"I will try to earn a re­mis­si­on of my sins," he sa­id humbly. That was how our con­ver­sa­ti­on was- much as it had al­ways be­en, alt­ho­ugh now and then a light and ban­te­ring no­te wo­uld bre­ak in.
He was get­ting bet­ter. The leg was he­aling and he co­uld spend lon­ger wal­king abo­ut the ho­use wit­ho­ut ex­ha­us­ting him­self. But in the af­ter­no­ons I used to in­sist on his res­ting whi­le I to­ok Ken­dal out for a walk, le­aving Je­an­ne in char­ge. He was al­ways watc­hing the do­or for my re­turn.
"I wish you wo­uldn't ta­ke tho­se af­ter­no­on ramb­les," he sa­id.
"We ha­ve to go out so­me­ti­mes. I ne­ver go far from the ho­use."
"I am in a sta­te of an­xi­ety un­til you re­turn and that is not go­od for me. Every nur­se worthy of the na­me knows that pa­ti­ents sho­uld not be su­bj­ec­ted to an­xi­ety. It im­pe­des re­co­very."
"I'm sorry you don't think I'm worthy to be a nur­se."
"Kate," he sa­id, 'co­me and sit down. I think you are worthy to be anyt­hing you want to be. I'm go­ing to tell you so­met­hing ext­ra­or­di­nary. Do you know . he­re I am in­ca­pa­ci­ta­ted, pro­bably abo­ut to be crip­pled for li­fe, in a be­si­eged city, lying in a ro­om with de­ath lo­oking in at the win­dow, now kno­wing from one mo­ment to the next what di­re tra­gedy will des­cend on me . and I'm happy. I think I am hap­pi­er than I ha­ve ever be­en in my li­fe. "
"Then yo­urs must ha­ve be­en a very wretc­hed exis­ten­ce."
"Not wretc­hed ... worth­less. That's it."
"And you think this is worthw­hi­le ... lying he­re ... re­cu­pe­ra­ting . do­ing not­hing but eating when we can get so­met­hing to eat... and tal­king to me."
"That's just the po­int. It's tal­king to you ... ha­ving you ne­ar .. watc­hing over me li­ke a gu­ar­di­an an­gel ... not al­lo­wing me to stay up too long ... brin­ging my gru­el ... this is the stran­gest thing that has ever hap­pe­ned to me."
"Such si­tu­ati­ons ha­ve not be­en fre­qu­ent in my li­fe eit­her."
"Kate, it me­ans so­met­hing."
"Oh?"
"That I'm happy... hap­pi­er than I've ever be­en... be­ing he­re with you."
"If you we­re well eno­ugh," I re­min­ded him, 'you wo­uld get yo­ur­self a hor­se and be out of the city in an ho­ur. "
"It wo­uld ta­ke a lit­tle lon­ger than that. And the­re won't be any hor­ses left so­on. They'll be eating them."
I shi­ve­red.
"They ha­ve to eat so­met­hing," he went on.
"But what we­re we sa­ying?
I'd be out of this city with you and the boy. and we sho­uld ta­ke Je­an­ne, of co­ur­se. But the­se days . the­re has be­en so­met­hing very pre­ci­o­us abo­ut them for me. "
"Well, you ha­ve re­ali­zed that you'll be ab­le to walk aga­in one day."
"Dragging one fo­ot be­hind me, per­haps."
"Better that than not wal­king at all."
"I know all this and yet it's the hap­pi­est ti­me of my li­fe. How can you exp­la­in that?"
"I don't think it ne­eds an exp­la­na­ti­on be­ca­use it's not true. The hap­pi­est ti­mes of yo­ur li­fe we­re when you we­re tri­ump­hing over yo­ur ene­mi­es."
"My enemy now is the pa­in in this ac­cur­sed leg."
"And you are tri­ump­hing over that," I sa­id.
"Then why am I so con­ten­ted with li­fe?"
"Because you be­li­eve you are the gre­at man and that no harm can pos­sibly co­me to you. The gods of yo­ur Nor­se an­ces­tors are se­e­ing to that. If an­yo­ne at­temp­ted to harm you, old Thor wo­uld flash his thun­der at them or throw his ham­mer and if that co­uldn't sa­ve you Odin, the All-Fat­her, wo­uld say, " He­re co­mes one of our cho­sen he­ro­es.
Let's warm up Val­hal­la for him. "
"Do you know, Ka­te, you are so of­ten right that I ce­ase to mar­vel every ti­me you disp­lay yo­ur un­ders­tan­ding."
"Good. Shall I dress yo­ur leg?"
"No, not yet. Sit down and talk."
I sat down and lo­oked at him.
"How stran­ge," he sa­id, 'when you think of our be­ing to­get­her in that to­wer bed­ro­om. Oh, what a ti­me that was. What an ex­hi­la­ra­ting ad­ven­tu­re. "
"It was so­met­hing less than that for me."
"I ha­ve ne­ver for­got­ten it."
"Nor," I sa­id po­in­tedly, 'ha­ve I. "
"Kate."
"Yes?"
"When I was lying he­re in the be­gin­ning, I watc­hed you. I pre­ten­ded to be una­wa­re ..."
"I wo­uld ex­pect such sub­ter­fu­ge from you."
"You se­emed to watch over me ... ten­derly."
"You we­re hurt."
"Yes, but I tho­ught I de­tec­ted a spe­ci­al ca­ring... a spe­ci­al in­vol­ve­ment. Did I?"
"I re­mem­be­red that you sa­ved my son's li­fe."
"Oar son, Ka­te."
I was si­lent for a whi­le and he went on: "I'm in lo­ve with you."
"You ... in lo­ve! That's not pos­sib­le- un­less it is with yo­ur­self, of co­ur­se, but that is a lo­ve-affa­ir of such long stan­ding that it calls for no spe­ci­al men­ti­on. In fact it is su­perf­lu­o­us to com­ment on it."
"I lo­ve to be with you, Ka­te. I lo­ve the way you slap me down all the ti­me. I enj­oy it. It sti­mu­la­tes me. You are dif­fe­rent from an­yo­ne I ha­ve ever known. Ka­te, the gre­at ar­tist who is so eager that I sho­uld know she pre­tends to des­pi­se me. Pre­tends... that is the who­le po­int.
In yo­ur he­art, you know you li­ke me ... qu­ite a lot."
"I am gra­te­ful that you sa­ved Ken­dal, as I ha­ve told you many ti­mes. I ap­pre­ci­ate the fact that you ca­me to ta­ke him out of the city."
"To ta­ke you too. I sho­uldn't ha­ve go­ne wit­ho­ut you. I co­uld ha­ve got cle­ar of the city ... if I had not wa­ited for you."
"You ca­me for the boy."
"I ca­me for you both. You don't think I wo­uld ha­ve ta­ken him and left you. I just want you to know that I co­uld not ha­ve do­ne that."
I was si­lent.
"You worry a gre­at de­al abo­ut that boy, don't you?"
I nod­ded.
"He's a na­tu­ral sur­vi­vor. He's my son. He'll co­me thro­ugh ... as we all shall."
"I fe­ar that so­met­hing will hap­pen to me. Yes, I fe­ar that ter­ribly.
What wo­uld be­co­me of him then? It is my ma­in worry. What is hap­pe­ning to the child­ren of tho­se who ha­ve be­en kil­led . or die of star­va­ti­on?
"
"There is no ne­ed to worry abo­ut Ken­dal. I ha­ve ma­de ar­ran­ge­ments."
"What ar­ran­ge­ments?"
"I ha­ve ma­de pro­vi­si­on for him."
"When did you do that?"
"When I saw him, when I as­su­red myself that he was my son, I ar­ran­ged that he sho­uld be well pro­vi­ded for wha­te­ver hap­pe­ned."
"What of this co­untry? What will hap­pen to it? What hap­pens when co­unt­ri­es are over­run by the­ir ene­mi­es? Will what you hzve do­ne be worth anyt­hing if Fran­ce is a be­aten na­ti­on?"
"I ha­ve ma­de ar­ran­ge­ments both in Pa­ris and in Lon­don. Af­ter all, he is half Eng­lish."
"You ha­ve re­al­ly do­ne this!"
"You lo­ok at me as tho­ugh you re­gard me as so­me sort of ma­gi­ci­an. I may be in yo­ur eyes, Ka­te, but the­se ar­ran­ge­ments are com­monp­la­ce.
They can be ma­de by any man of bu­si­ness. I ha­ve se­en the way things we­re go­ing he­re. I had ma­de plans to le­ave for a whi­le, but I wan­ted to ta­ke you and the boy with me. Ho­we­ver, that fa­iled. But at le­ast. if the boy we­re left wit­ho­ut eit­her of us, the­re wo­uld be pe­op­le in Lon­don who wo­uld find him and he wo­uld be lo­oked af­ter. "
I co­uld not spe­ak. Even lying the­re he exu­ded po­wer. I had the fe­eling that whi­le he was the­re all wo­uld be well with us.
"You are ple­ased with me," he sa­id.
"It was go­od of you ... kind of you."
"Oh, co­me, Ka­te, my own son! I al­ways wan­ted a boy li­ke that. He sa­tis­fi­es me... comp­le­tely, as you do."
"I am glad you ha­ve so­me re­gard for him."
"One day he may be a gre­at ar­tist. He will get that from you. From me he will get his hand­so­me lo­oks ..." He pa­used wa­iting for com­ment, but I ga­ve no­ne. I was too mo­ved to spe­ak.
"His hand­so­me lo­oks," he went on, 'and his de­ter­mi­na­ti­on to get what he ne­eds . his for­ce, his strength of pur­po­se. "
"None of which qu­ali­ti­es co­uld co­me from anyw­he­re el­se," I sa­id with a moc­kery tin­ged with gent­le­ness. He had lif­ted a gre­at bur­den from my sho­ul­ders.
He sa­id: "Had you be­en he­re when I ca­me I wo­uld ha­ve got you out of Pa­ris. I had plan­ned to ta­ke us all... you, the boy' Ni­co­le . and of co­ur­se the go­ver­ness. Po­or Ni­co­le ..."
I sa­id: "You lo­ved her."
"She was a go­od wo­man ... a go­od fri­end to me. We un­ders­to­od each ot­her. It is hard to be­li­eve that she is de­ad."
"You ha­ve known her a long ti­me."
"Since she was eigh­te­en. My fat­her did not want me to marry yo­ung. He cho­se a mist­ress for me. He wan­ted to ma­ke su­re that I ma­de the right mar­ri­age. He put gre­at sto­re in the ca­lib­re of the of­fsp­ring."
"Like bre­eding hor­ses?"
"You co­uld say that. All the sa­me, the prin­cip­le ap­pli­es."
"Nicole, I pre­su­me, had not the ne­ces­sary po­ints?"
"Nicole was a be­a­uti­ful and cle­ver wo­man. She had be­en mar­ri­ed to a bank clerk. My pa­rents ar­ran­ged the me­eting with her mot­her. We li­ked each ot­her and it tur­ned out to be a very sa­tis­fac­tory re­la­ti­ons­hip."
"Satisfactory for you and yo­ur cal­cu­la­ting fa­mily, per­haps. What of "
She ne­ver ga­ve any sign that she was not sa­tis­fi­ed with the ar­ran­ge­ment. It is the way things are ma­na­ged in Fran­ce in fa­mi­li­es li­ke ours. The ne­ces­sity of a mist­ress was un­ders­to­od and one was pro­vi­ded. It was mar­ri­age which was the se­ri­o­us qu­es­ti­on. "
"So that is how to ma­ke a per­fect mar­ri­age. It didn't work in yo­ur ca­se, did it?"
"It's so­met­hing you le­arn as you get ol­der. You can ma­ke plans but you for­get that when you are de­aling with pe­op­le you can go wrong."
"So you ha­ve le­ar­ned that at last."
"Yes, at last I ha­ve le­ar­ned it."
"You tho­ught the blo­od of prin­ces wo­uld en­han­ce the fa­mily stra­in." I la­ug­hed.
"It's a mat­ter of opi­ni­on, of co­ur­se. And you are cle­arly not sa­tis­fi­ed with yo­ur mar­ri­age ... ro­yal blo­od tho­ugh the­re is."
"I am comp­le­tely dis­sa­tis­fi­ed with my mar­ri­age. I think of­ten of how I can end it. Lying he­re, I ha­ve be­en thin­king a gre­at de­al abo­ut that.
If ever I get out of this pla­ce, I shall do so­met­hing. I shall not spend the rest of my li­fe . shack­led.
Don't you ag­ree that I sho­uld be a fo­ol to let things stay as they are?
"
"I can't see how you can do anyt­hing el­se. You plan­ned and yo­ur plans went wrong. You tho­ught yo­ur Prin­ces­se was a pup­pet to be pic­ked up and put in a cer­ta­in pla­ce at yo­ur will. Her duty was to supply a lit­tle blue blo­od to the gre­at Cen­te­vil­le stre­am .. tho­ugh I sho­uld ha­ve tho­ught-in yo­ur opi­ni­on at le­ast- no ro­yal blo­od co­uld com­pa­re in worth with that of bar­ba­ri­an Nor­se­men. Ho­we­ver, you pic­ked her and put her whe­re you wan­ted her- and lo, you ha­ve dis­co­ve­red that she is not a pup­pet. She is a warm, li­ving hu­man be­ing who, ha­ving no wish to ma­ke the do­na­ti­on of ro­yal blo­od her mis­si­on in li­fe, tur­ned to so­me­one el­se who ple­ased her bet­ter than the bar­ba­ri­an Ba­ron. The­re is only one thing to be do­ne now. As we say in Eng­land: You ha­ve ma­de yo­ur bed.
Now you must lie on it."
"That is not my way. You sho­uld know that well eno­ugh by now."
"If things don't ple­ase you the way they are, you set abo­ut chan­ging them. That is it, is it?"
"Yes, Ka­te."
"Well then, what will you do? The­re wo­uld ha­ve to be a dis­pen­sa­ti­on, wo­uldn't the­re, to an­nul the mar­ri­age?"
"On the gro­unds ot­her adul­tery it sho­uld be easy."
I burst out la­ug­hing.
"I am glad I amu­se you," he sa­id.
"Oh, you do. Her adul­tery. You must ad­mit that is very funny.
Besides, is it adul­tery? She had her lo­ver be­fo­re her mar­ri­age. She did tho­ugh in a mo­re hu­man, ci­vi­li­zed man­ner what you ha­ve do­ne many ti­mes, I am su­re. And you talk abo­ut di­vor­cing her for adul­tery. You see why you ma­ke me la­ugh."
He was si­lent for a whi­le. Then he sa­id: "Ka­te ... if we co­uld go back to that ti­me when we we­re to­get­her .. do you know what I wo­uld do? I wo­uld marry you."
I la­ug­hed, but I was in­wardly ple­ased, tho­ugh I wo­uld not let him know it if I co­uld help it.
"How?" I sa­id.
"You can't exactly for­ce a wo­man to ta­ke mar­ri­age vows.
It isn't as easy as ra­pe, you know. That's just a mat­ter of physi­cal strength. "
"You wo­uld ha­ve ag­re­ed."
"I sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve ag­re­ed."
"I so­me­ti­mes think of it. In fact, lying he­re, I've tho­ught of it a gre­at de­al. Mar­ri­ed to Ka­te! That boy ack­now­led­ged as my son! We'd ha­ve ot­hers too, Ka­te. I see what I ought to ha­ve do­ne."
"They wo­uld not ha­ve had the blue blo­od which you we­re af­ter."
"They wo­uld ha­ve be­en part of you ... and part of me. That's what I dre­am of. That's what I want mo­re than anyt­hing in the world." I sto­od up and he went on: "What do you say? Whe­re are you go­ing?"
I sa­id: "It is ti­me to dress yo­ur leg and I am go­ing to get the dres­sing."
He lo­oked at me with his he­ad on one si­de. He was la­ug­hing at me, but so­me­how I knew that he had me­ant what he had sa­id I felt sud­denly very nappy.
The win­ter was on us and it se­emed par­ti­cu­larly se­ve­re. We had plenty of wo­od to ma­ke a fi­re but we watc­hed it ca­re­ful­ly, ra­ti­oning our­sel­ves every day. The cold was mo­re be­arab­le than the lack of fo­od.
We we­re ab­le to wrap our­sel­ves in fur rugs and bed co­ve­rings and we all hud­dled to­get­her in that ro­om in which the Ba­ron lay. He ne­eded to rest his leg a go­od de­al. It was im­pos­sib­le to get me­di­cal at­ten­ti­on.
I did not see the doc­tor now. He had ce­ased to co­me and I won­de­red what had hap­pe­ned to him.
There was ri­oting oc­ca­si­onal­ly in the stre­ets and I did not go out.
The Ba­ron beg­ged me not to and I did not want to ica­ve Ken­dal nor ta­ke him with me. I was ter­ri­fi­ed of what might hap­pen to him.
He was a won­der­ful­ly in­tel­li­gent child and he un­ders­to­od that we we­re be­si­eged and what that me­ant. The Ba­ron had exp­la­ined to him. The boy wo­uld sit on the bed and lis­ten not only to an exp­la­na­ti­on of the pre­sent si­tu­ati­on but to ta­les of the past glo­ri­es of ma­ra­uding Nor­se­men. He lo­ved such sto­ri­es and wo­uld eagerly ask qu­es­ti­ons, and when so­me of the sto­ri­es we­re re­pe­ated- for he of­ten as­ked for them aga­in and aga­in- if the­re was a di­ver­gen­ce from the first ver­si­on, he wo­uld im­me­di­ately po­int it out. They we­re very happy to­get­her, tho­se two.
Later when I he­ard what was hap­pe­ning in the city I re­ali­zed how for­tu­na­te we we­re. Je­an­ne was a won­der­ful as­set to the ho­use­hold. She wo­uld go out oc­ca­si­onal­ly and so­me­ti­mes co­me back with a lit­tle fo­od . so­me po­ta­to­es or ot­her ve­ge­tab­les . so­me wi­ne . We still had so­me flo­ur left. How I had re­ason to bless Ni­co­le's ca­re­ful ho­use­ke­eping!
She had be­en in­te­res­ted in the kitc­hen, for she had lo­ved en­ter­ta­ining and had al­ways se­en that the­re was a go­od supply in the lar­ders of the sort of fo­od which co­uld be kept. Thus, alt­ho­ugh we scar­cely had a ha­ven of plenty, we did ha­ve so­met­hing to eat du­ring tho­se first three months.
There was no way out of the city and no way in. The fron­ti­ers we­re gu­ar­ded, and the only com­mu­ni­ca­ti­on with the rest of the co­untry was do­ne by me­ans of car­ri­er pi­ge­ons, Je­an­ne told me.
She was bra­ve, and I think she un­der­to­ok her fo­ra­ges in­to the city in an ad­ven­tu­o­us spi­rit.
So we pas­sed thro­ugh tho­se months.
December ca­me and as far as we knew the­re was no sign of the bre­aking of the si­ege. The win­ter lay be­fo­re us. The days we­re dark. Thro­ugh the win­dows we saw the snow fal­ling and the­re was hus­hed si­len­ce everyw­he­re.
Jeanne ca­me back one day with a pi­ece of sal­ted pork.
"In the Ana­nas Inn," she told us. I re­mem­be­red the pla­ce with the pi­ne­ap­ple sign out­si­de. It was only a few stre­ets from the ho­use.
The in­nke­eper had be­en a fri­end of hers, she exp­la­ined. Oc­ca­si­onal­ly at a high cost he let her ha­ve so­met­hing. The Ba­ron had plently of mo­ney but the irony of it was that pe­op­le did not want mo­ney no­wa­days.
What they wan­ted was fo­od.
We wo­uld ha­ve the pork on Christ­mas Day, I sa­id. We sho­uld ha­ve a re­al fe­ast. Af­ter li­ving on bre­ad and wi­ne for se­ve­ral we­eks that wo­uld in­de­ed be a tre­at.
That Christ­mas will stand out fo­re­ver in my mind. A cold dark day.
Jeanne ligh­ted the fi­re early as a spe­ci­al tre­at and we gat­he­red in the Ba­ron's ro­om.
I am su­re fo­od had ne­ver- or ever has sin­ce- tas­ted so go­od to me as that hard salt pork. It is in­de­ed true that hun­ger se­asons all dis­hes.
We tal­ked and Ken­dal re­cal­led last Christ­mas Eve when we had had a party with a lot of gu­ests. He had got out of bed and watc­hed. The la­di­es all had pretty dres­ses and they had all la­ug­hed and dan­ced and the­re was mu­sic.
"Well," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"Paris was not un­der si­ege then."
"How long will it be?" as­ked Ken­dal.
"Ah, that is a qu­es­ti­on I can­not ans­wer. It can't last, tho­ugh. So­on we shall all be re­j­o­icing. The­re'll be bon­fi­res in the stre­ets."
We lo­oked at the po­or lit­tle wo­od fi­re strug­gling in the gra­te.
"Last ye­ar we ga­ve pre­sents to each ot­her," sa­id Ken­dal.
"We'll gi­ve pre­sents to each ot­her this ye­ar," the Ba­ron rep­li­ed.
"Can we?" cri­ed Ken­dal ex­ci­tedly.
"Well, just see them ... in yo­ur mind's eyes. How wo­uld that do?"
"Oh yes, let's," cri­ed Ken­dal.
"What will you gi­ve me, Ba­ron?"
"Guess."
He tri­ed to think and the Ba­ron sa­id: "All right. I'll tell. It's a pony ... a pony of yo­ur own. A whi­te pony."
"Where shall I ri­de him?"
"In the fi­elds."
"There aren't any fi­elds he­re."
"Then we'll go whe­re the­re are fi­elds."
"Shall I just sit on it?"
"Just at first you'll ha­ve to ha­ve a le­ading re­in."
"What's that?"
The Ba­ron told him.
"What's his na­me?" as­ked Ken­dal.
"Ponies ha­ve to ha­ve na­mes, don't they?"
"You will cho­ose his na­me."
Kendal tho­ught for a whi­le. Then he le­aned to­wards the Ba­ron and put­ting his arms ro­und his neck whis­pe­red in his ear.
"Would that do?" he as­ked.
"I think it might do very well."
"After all," sa­id Ken­dal, 'you ga­ve it to me and that's yo­ur re­al na­me, isn't it? "
"It is, and now it is the pony's. Ha, Rol­lo! The best and most be­a­uti­ful pony in Fran­ce."
Kendal smi­led blis­sful­ly. I knew he co­uld see him­self gal­lo­ping thro­ugh fi­elds.
He stop­ped sud­denly and sa­id: "You ha­ven't gi­ven the ot­hers anyt­hing."
"No. We we­re so ta­ken up with yo­ur pony. Well.. Je­an­ne ... what shall I gi­ve her?"
Kendal whis­pe­red to him.
"Yes, that will do very well. Co­me he­re, Je­an­ne. I shall pin it on yo­ur bo­di­ce."
"It's a be­a­uti­ful bro­och," cri­ed Ken­dal.
"Of co­ur­se it is," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"It's ma­de of di­amonds and eme­ralds. That will su­it je­an­ne very well."
"Thank you. Thank you," sa­id je­an­ne pla­ying the ga­me to per­fec­ti­on.

"I

never tho­ught to ha­ve such a bro­och in all my days. "
"And now Ma­man," sa­id Ken­dal.
"What ha­ve you got for her? It sho­uld be so­met­hing very ni­ce."
"Oh, it is," sa­id the Ba­ron. He to­ok my hand and went thro­ugh the mo­ti­ons of put­ting a ring on my fin­ger.
"There!" he sa­id.
"Isn't that mag­ni­fi­cent. That's a fa­mily he­ir­lo­om."
"Is it re­al gold?" as­ked Ken­dal.
"As re­al as can be. And the blue sto­ne ... that is a sap­phi­re. The fi­nest sap­phi­re in the world. The ot­hers are di­amonds. The ring has be­en in my fa­mily for ge­ne­ra­ti­ons. It is han­ded down thro­ugh the ye­ars."
"Do they gi­ve it to the bri­des?" as­ked Ken­dal.
"That's right," cri­ed the Ba­ron as tho­ugh in won­der.
"How did you know?"
"I just did, " sa­id Ken­dal, lo­oking wi­se.
"Does that ma­ke my Ma­man .. "
He was lo­oking at the Ba­ron eagerly. No one spo­ke for a few se­conds.
Kendal went on: "Then," he sa­id rat­her shyly, 'you'd be my fat­her. I'm glad. I ne­ver had a fat­her. Ot­her boys se­em to. I wo­uld li­ke ha­ving a fat­her. "
I wan­ted to get up and go out of the ro­om. I was over­co­me by my emo­ti­ons.
I for­ced myself to say: "It's my turn to gi­ve the pre­sents."
We pla­yed gu­es­sing ga­mes af­ter that- chi­efly the old one of thin­king of so­met­hing and ma­king the rest of the party gu­ess what it was . a ne­ver-fa­iling fa­vo­uri­te with Ken­dal.
Then as a spe­ci­al tre­at we had a lit­tle mo­re of the salt pork tho­ugh pru­den­ce told me it wo­uld ha­ve be­en wi­ser to ha­ve sa­ved it for anot­her day.
But this was Christ­mas Day . the stran­gest I had ever spent, and yet in spi­te of everyt­hing I was not un­hap­py.
There was a chan­ge af­ter Christ­mas Day, and two days la­ter the bom­bard­ment star­ted aga­in. It se­emed that the enemy was con­cent­ra­ting on the forts rat­her than the cent­re of the city and a gre­at de­al of da­ma­ge was do­ne to tho­se of­Van­ves and Issy.
There was no mo­re salt pork or any lu­xu­ri­es. The Ba­ron con­fes­sed to me that the in­nke­eper at the Ana­nas had held the fo­od for him which he had stoc­ked the­re just in ca­se so­met­hing li­ke this sho­uld hap­pen.
"I tho­ught I sho­uld get you away in ti­me," he sa­id 'but in ca­se I did not-as it tur­ned out- I ma­de a lit­tle pre­pa­ra­ti­on. I ga­ve the in­nke­eper per­mis­si­on to ta­ke half of the fo­od him­self. It wo­uld ha­ve be­en too much of a temp­ta­ti­on to ha­ve it the­re in the midst of his star­ving fa­mily. I was surp­ri­sed that he did not ta­ke the lot. Even in the­se cir­cums­tan­ces he was af­ra­id of Mon­si­e­ur Ie Ba­ron. "
He had re­por­ted the last with a cer­ta­in pri­de and I tho­ught: He has not re­al­ly chan­ged. He only se­ems to ha­ve mel­lo­wed be­ca­use of the­se stran­ge days thro­ugh which we are li­ving. If ever his li­fe be­co­mes nor­mal aga­in, he will be just the sa­me as he ever was.
But I did not en­ti­rely be­li­eve this. I had se­en him with Ken­dal and I knew that the­re was a ste­ady af­fec­ti­on bet­we­en them. Ken­dal tho­ught him won­der­ful. That ple­ased me whi­le it ga­ve ri­se to a cer­ta­in ap­pre­hen­si­on.
I was glad of the­ir re­la­ti­ons­hip now but I of­ten won­de­red what wo­uld hap­pen if ever we mo­ved out of this stran­ge night­ma­re in­to which we had be­en drawn.
We had pas­sed in­to Janu­ary. Je­an­ne re­por­ted that pe­op­le we­re dying of star­va­ti­on. They we­re too we­ak to ri­ot and we­re re­ady to do anyt­hing for de­li­ve­ran­ce.
We had very lit­tle to eat now. The Ba­ron sa­id that he had such re­ser­ves of strength that he ne­eded lit­tle to ke­ep him ali­ve. I dis­co­ve­red that he of­ten ga­ve his sha­re to Ken­dal. That mo­ved me as much as anyt­hing he had do­ne, and I felt thew that I al­most lo­ved him, The­re was a slight chan­ge in the we­at­her. The cold wind had drop­ped and the sun ca­me out. I felt an ir­re­sis­tib­le ur­ge to step out­si­de. I wo­uld not go far and tell no one that I had go­ne, for they wo­uld pro­test and try to stop me. But the bom­bard­ment had stop­ped now and stre­ets we­re sa­fe. The Prus­si­ans must ha­ve re­ali­zed that the most ef­fec­ti­ve way to ma­ke Pa­ris sur­ren­der was thro­ugh star­va­ti­on.
I wis­hed I had not ta­ken that walk. I wo­uld ne­ver for­get the sight of the child, He was lying aga­inst so­me pa­lings and for a mo­ment I co­uld ha­ve tho­ught it was Ken­dal lying the­re. The child's fa­ir ha­ir es­ca­ped from a wo­ol­len hat and I tho­ught he had fal­len. I went for­ward to help him.
I to­uc­hed him and he fell back­wards so that he was lying the­re, pa­le and cold. He was just bo­nes in a red co­at and hat. He must ha­ve be­en de­ad so­me ti­me . de­ad . of star­va­ti­on. The­re was not­hing I co­uld do for him now. If I had had fo­od to gi­ve him, it wo­uld ha­ve be­en too la­te.
I tur­ned and ran back to the ho­use. Ken­dal ca­me to­wards me.
"Have you be­en out, Ma­man?"
"Yes ... yes .. Just a lit­tle way."
"The sun's shi­ning," he sa­id.
It sho­ne on his fa­ce, sho­wing up the pal­lor, the lack­lust­re in tho­se eyes which had on­ce be­en so bright. the pa­le thin lit­tle fa­ce.
I tur­ned away be­ca­use I co­uld not be­ar to lo­ok at him.
"Oh God," I pra­yed.
"End this night­ma­re. Don't let that hap­pen ... not to Ken­dal."
The Ba­ron was stan­ding ne­arby. He lim­ped to­wards me and ta­king my hand drew me in­to his ro­om.
"What hap­pe­ned?" he as­ked when we we­re alo­ne.
I fell aga­inst him. I was half sob­bing.
He sa­id gently: "Tell me, Ka­te."
"It was a child ... out the­re ... a de­ad child ... a boy ... li­ke Ken­dal."
He stro­ked my ha­ir.
"He'll be all right. This can't go on. They'll ha­ve to call a halt.
It's co­ming so­on. It must. We'll sur­vi­ve."
I sto­od the­re clin­ging to him. He held me very tightly and went on:
"Don't gi­ve way. That wo­uldn't be li­ke you. It won't be long now."
He com­for­ted me as no one el­se co­uld ha­ve do­ne at that ti­me. I be­li­eved him. He wo­uld ta­ke ca­re of us and he co­uld ne­ver fa­il. What had hap­pe­ned to him wo­uld ha­ve kil­led most pe­op­le. But not the Ba­ron.
Such was the way in which he had bu­ilt him­self up for me. We must be all right whi­le he was the­re. He had fo­und a me­ans to get us so­me fo­od. He ga­ve the fo­od which he wan­ted him­self to Ken­dal. He lo­ved the boy who was his son.
I just sto­od the­re le­aning aga­inst him and he put his lips to my ha­ir.
That sce­ne from the tur­ret ro­om flas­hed be­fo­re my eyes and I tho­ught how dif­fe­rent this was. I was glad to be held thus and that he was the one who held me.
"Kate," he sa­id af­ter a whi­le, "I want to talk to you. I've had it in my mind for a few days now. This re­al­ly is go­ing to be over so­on.
There'll be an ar­mis­ti­ce and then I shall want to get us out of Pa­ris as so­on as it is pos­sib­le. "
"I can't le­ave Pa­ris," I sa­id.
"My work is he­re. When things are nor­mal ..."
"How long do you think it is go­ing to be be­fo­re things are nor­mal! Who is go­ing to want port­ra­its pa­in­ted? The­se pe­op­le want to eat. They want to re­co­ver. And even when the fo­od starts co­ming in­to Pa­ris, how long do you think it will ta­ke to get eno­ugh pro­vi­si­ons he­re? Pa­ris is go­ing to be a sad city for so­me ti­me to co­me. We are go­ing to get away just as so­on as the fron­ti­ers are open."
Where to? "
"To Cen­te­vil­le for a start."
"To the cast­le ... no, no."
"You must co­me. You've got to be nur­sed back to he­alth. So ha­ve I. So will an­yo­ne who has li­ved thro­ugh this si­ege ... and par­ti­cu­larly the boy."
"I am so frigh­te­ned for him."
"No ne­ed to be ... if you are sen­sib­le. Now I know how you fe­el abo­ut the cast­le. I ha­ve a pro­po­si­ti­on. The­re is a lit­tle pla­ce known as La Lo­ge du Cha­te­au. It is just in­si­de the mo­at and was used by ser­vants at one ti­me. I shall ta­ke you the­re and you can li­ve the­re with the boy and je­an­ne un­til Pa­ris is fit for you to re­turn."
I was si­lent.
"You will ha­ve to sink yo­ur pri­de if you are go­ing to con­si­der the boy," he sa­id.
"When ha­ve I ever let anyt­hing in­ter­fe­re with his wel­lbe­ing?" I de­man­ded.
"The ans­wer to that is Ne­ver, so you will be sen­sib­le now. The child is ill-no­uris­hed and has be­en for three months or mo­re. Thank God he is strong eno­ugh to stand it. But he ne­eds go­od fo­od ... fresh air. co­untry li­fe. He ne­eds to be bu­ilt up. He's go­ing to ha­ve all that, Ka­te, if I ha­ve to kid­nap him to gi­ve it to him. He ne­eds that mo­re than anyt­hing at the mo­ment, and I re­pe­at, he is go­ing to ha­ve it."
I met his eyes ste­adily.
"I ac­cept yo­ur of­fer," I told him.
He smi­led slowly.
"I knew you wo­uld, Ka­te. It'll co­me so­on. I know it.
This simply can­not con­ti­nue. "
"How will you get out of Pa­ris?" I as­ked.
"What me­ans of trans­port?"
"I'll find a way."
"I can't see how."
"But you know I will, eh?"
"Yes," I ag­re­ed.
"I know you will."
Then he le­aned to­wards me and kis­sed me swiftly on the fo­re­he­ad.
"You will not be far away from me, Ka­te," he sa­id softly "We ha­ve grown clo­se, ha­ven't we ... in the­se months?" I sa­id: "You ha­ve be­en go­od to us in many ways."
"Do you ex­pect me not to be ... to my own?" I bro­ke away from him. I went in­to the sa­lon. Grim. Cold.
Deserted. What a tra­vesty of ot­her days. I sat down and co­ve­red my fa­ce with my hands. I co­uldn't help thin­king of the lit­tle de­ad boy.
But the Ba­ron had com­for­ted me. I knew he wo­uld ta­ke ca­re of us and that be­ca­use of him we we­re go­ing to co­me sa­fely thro­ugh.
The ar­mis­ti­ce was sig­ned on the twenty-se­venth of Janu­ary. The­re wo­uld ha­ve be­en re­j­o­icing in the stre­ets if the pe­op­le had not be­en too we­ak for it. The next day the city ca­pi­tu­la­ted. The si­ege of Pa­ris was over.
The Ba­ron se­emed to ha­ve ta­ken on new strength. He now wal­ked at nor­mal spe­ed, alt­ho­ugh he drag­ged his right leg a lit­tle, it was true; but it did not se­em to in­con­ve­ni­en­ce him very much.
He was go­ne all day and I be­gan to be wor­ri­ed. I pra­yed des­pe­ra­tely for his sa­fe re­turn; and in the la­te af­ter­no­on he ca­me ho­me.
He was ple­ased with him­self.
"We le­ave to­mor­row," he sa­id.
"I'm get­ting hor­ses."
He to­ok both my hands in his and kis­sed them; then he drew me to him and held me clo­se, la­ug­hing.
"We're al­most the­re," he sa­id.
"How did you do it? The­re are no hor­ses!"
"Coercion. Bri­bery. It hap­pens, you know, even in the most dis­cip­li­ned ar­mi­es."
I ca­ught my bre­ath.
"You me­an ... the Ger­mans?"
"I'm pa­ying a go­od pri­ce. Mo­ney, it se­ems, is still the key to most things in the world. What a mercy I ha­ve a cer­ta­in amo­unt of that use­ful com­mo­dity." Then he sho­uted: "Ken­dal. Whe­re are you?
Come he­re. We're go­ing away. We're go­ing to the co­untry. We le­ave at the crack of dawn to­mor­row. Je­an­ne! Je­an­ne, whe­re are you? Be re­ady.
The hor­ses will be he­re to­mor­row mor­ning. I want to get go­ing as so­on as it is light. Ka­te, you and Je­an­ne will ri­de to­get­her. I'll ta­ke the boy. "
How ex­ci­ted we we­re! The­re was a lit­tle bre­ad dip­ped in wi­ne which was all we had for sup­per. We didn't ca­re. It was over. To­mor­row we sho­uld be on our way. The Ba­ron had sa­id so; and we be­li­eved that he co­uld do anyt­hing ho­we­ver im­pos­sib­le it might se­em.
The Lo­ge -I^X^M^I How happy I was to le­ave that be­le­agu­ered city be­hind me. That we es­ca­ped as we did was so­met­hing of a mi­rac­le and I re­ali­zed af­ter­wards that only the po­wer and she­er ef­fron­tery of­Rol­lo de Cen­te­vil­le co­uld ha­ve ac­hi­eved it.
The pe­op­le in the stre­ets we­re li­ke so many pa­le ske­le­tons. They we­re qu­ite dif­fe­rent from the li­vely, vo­lub­le pe­op­le I had known. They had emer­ged from the or­de­al angry and be­wil­de­red and we­re cle­arly pre­pa­red for furt­her evils to be­fall them. The Ba­ron had not only hi­red hor­ses but a gu­ide, who must ha­ve be­en one of the han­gers-on of the oc­cup­ying army, to get us thro­ugh the city. I did not ask qu­es­ti­ons. I tho­ught it bet­ter not.
We to­ok the qu­ic­kest ro­ute go­ing so­uth­wards, for it was of the ut­most im­por­tan­ce to le­ave Pa­ris be­hind us as so­on as pos­sib­le.
As we pas­sed the Lu­xem­bo­urg Gar­dens me­mo­ri­es flo­oded back. I co­uld al­most see the orif­lam­me ki­te flying in the sky. I glan­ced at Ken­dal to see if he re­mem­be­red and aga­in I was struck by his pal­lor. His arms we­re li­ke sticks whe­re­as on­ce they had be­en ro­un­ded and plump. He was in­tent now, sit­ting the­re, no do­ubt thin­king of that ima­gi­nary whi­te ste­ed which the Ba­ron had "gi­ven" him for Christ­mas. The­re was a light of ex­ci­te­ment in his eyes. I tho­ught: It's true. We shall so­on nur­se him back to he­alth.
The Ba­ron kept glan­cing to­wards me, to ma­ke su­re that I was still the­re. He smi­led at me en­co­ura­gingly. I knew he was pre­pa­red for set­backs, but I saw the sa­me lo­ve of ad­ven­tu­re in his fa­ce as I saw in Ken­dal's. I tho­ught: They l are as­to­nis­hingly ali­ke. And I knew we we­re go­ing to get' thro­ugh.
And we did.
When we left the city be­hind us, the Ba­ron pa­id off the gu­ide and we we­re on our own. It was won­der­ful to bre­at­he the fresh co­untry air.
We ca­me to an inn and stop­ped the­re and had so­me ref­resh­ment. The­re was not a gre­at de­al to be had but we we­re no lon­ger in fa­mis­hed Pa­ris.
The Ba­ron or­de­red a lit­tle so­up.
"Not too much at first," he sa­id.
"We will eat lit­tle and fre­qu­ently."
The so­up tas­ted de­li­ci­o­us. We had hot bre­ad with it and I tho­ught the­re co­uld not be anyt­hing mo­re ap­pe­ti­zing in the who­le world. I knew the ot­hers we­re of the sa­me opi­ni­on.
"We'll get along," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"The so­oner we re­ach Cen­te­vil­le the bet­ter."
It was a ha­zar­do­us jo­ur­ney for the­re we­re sol­di­ers everyw­he­re. They did not ta­ke much no­ti­ce of us a man who was crip­pled, two wo­men and a child. They we­re not very cu­ri­o­us.
"Even so," sa­id the Ba­ron, 'we will avo­id camps, if we can. "
We stop­ped aga­in and to­ok a lit­tle bre­ad and che­ese. The Ba­ron was ab­le to buy so­me che­ese and bre­ad, which we to­ok with us. The­re was not a gre­at de­al of fo­od to be had, but as he sa­id, af­ter such pri­va­ti­on as we had suf­fe­red, we had to eat spa­ringly for a whi­le, so it su­ited us.
The Ba­ron had plenty of mo­ney which he scat­te­red fre­ely and which ga­ve us what we ne­eded. We sta­yed at an inn one night and spent anot­her in a de­re­lict hut clo­se to a farm.
It was an ex­ci­ting jo­ur­ney and with each ho­ur the fact that we had es­ca­ped ga­ve us co­ura­ge and the ne­ces­sary strength to carry on.
I was ama­zed that in the con­di­ti­on we we­re in, we co­uld ri­de as we did.
"People do what they ha­ve to," sa­id the Ba­ron.
And at length we ca­me to the cast­le.
He had be­en right. It was un­to­uc­hed. I knew what a pro­ud mo­ment it was for him when he ro­de un­der the port­cul­lis.
The ef­fect was ama­zing.
I he­ard vo­ices sho­uting.
"It's the Ba­ron. The Ba­ron is he­re."
People se­emed to be run­ning in all di­rec­ti­ons.
"The Ba­ron is back. The Ba­ron is sa­fe."
We we­re ex­ha­us­ted . even he was. We had ne­eded all our strength to get he­re and now we had ar­ri­ved we re­ali­zed how gre­at the stra­in had be­en.
"What has hap­pe­ned in my ab­sen­ce?" as­ked the Ba­ron.
"Have the sol­di­ers be­en he­re?"
He was told no. They had be­en in Ro­u­en. They had oc­cu­pi­ed the towns, but had left most of the smal­ler pla­ces alo­ne.
"We ne­ed rest and fo­od," sa­id the Ba­ron.
I had ne­ver se­en such ac­ti­vity. Ken­dal's eyes we­re ro­und with won­der.
This was the cast­le abo­ut which the Ba­ron had told him. His eyes we­re li­ke bril­li­ant lamps in his pa­le lit­tle fa­ce. The sto­ri­es to which he had lis­te­ned with such enc­hant­ment we­re be­co­ming re­ality.
I fo­und myself in a ro­om with him. A fi­re bur­ned in the gra­te. Fo­od was bro­ught to us. So­up aga­in-hot and sa­vo­ury.
"I li­ke cast­les," sa­id Ken­dal.
Then we lay on the bed to­get­her and slept far in­to the next day. I re­mem­ber ope­ning my eyes and sud­denly re­ali­zing whe­re I was. The si­ege was over. I was sa­fe in the Ba­ron's cast­le . sa­fe in his ca­re.
Kendal was sle­eping be­si­de me. How pat­he­ti­cal­ly his bo­nes sto­od out!
But the­re was a smi­le on his lips.
For a mo­ment I ma­de myself for­get everyt­hing . Ni­co­le's de­ath, the ter­rib­le mo­ment when I had tho­ught I had lost my son, the fa­ce of the lit­tle de­ad boy. I pus­hed it all away. I was he­re . sa­fe in the cast­le and the Ba­ron had bro­ught us to sa­fety. He wo­uld ta­ke ca­re of us.
I just lay still and slept aga­in; and when I awo­ke it was la­te af­ter­no­on.
A ser­vant was stan­ding by the bed.
She sa­id: "Are you awa­ke, Ma­da­me? We had or­ders to let you sle­ep un­til you awo­ke."
"I ha­ve slept for a long ti­me, I think."
"You we­re ex­ha­us­ted. The ot­her lady is still sle­eping. And the lit­tle boy."
I nod­ded and sa­id: "And the Ba­ron?"
"He was up this mor­ning. He sent me to see if you ne­eded anyt­hing. A me­al will be ser­ved in half an ho­ur if you wo­uld li­ke to ta­ke it.
Kendal, he­aring vo­ices, had awa­ke­ned. He sat up and I saw the slow smi­le spre­ad ac­ross his fa­ce as he lo­oked ro­und the ro­om.
I sa­id: "I sho­uld li­ke to wash if that is pos­sib­le."
"But of co­ur­se, Ma­da­me. Hot wa­ter shall be bro­ught."
"Thank you."
Kendal watc­hed her, wi­de-eyed, as she went out.
"Are we go­ing to stay he­re ... al­ways? This is the Ba­ron's cast­le. I want to see it... all of it.
"I da­re say you will," I told him.
"We'll wash and then we'll go down and see what hap­pens next."
When we we­re was­hed we still lo­oked so­mew­hat bed­rag­gled, for we had only the clot­hes we had tra­vel­led in and na­tu­ral­ly had be­en unab­le to bring anyt­hing with us.
I to­ok Ken­dal's hand and we went down to­get­her.
"You know the way," he whis­pe­red in awe, lo­oking ro­und at the thick sto­ne walls with the­ir ta­pest­ri­es of bat­tle sce­nes.
I grip­ped his hand tightly, fe­eling that we we­re wal­king in­to the unk­nown.
We ca­me down in­to the gre­at hall whe­re the Ba­ron was wa­iting . with a wo­man. I re­cog­ni­zed her at on­ce, alt­ho­ugh she had chan­ged a gre­at de­al from that yo­ung girl whom I had pa­in­ted in the Rue du Fa­uborg Sa­int-Ho­no­re.
"Kate," sa­id the Ba­ron co­ming to­wards me, 'you are res­ted? And you, Ken­dal? "
I sa­id we we­re, and Ken­dal just ga­zed at the Ba­ron, his eyes ro­und with won­der and ad­mi­ra­ti­on.
"You ha­ve, of co­ur­se, met the Prin­ces­se."
I step­ped for­ward and Ma­rie-Cla­ude held out her hand. I to­ok it.
"Mademoiselle Col­li­son," she sa­id, 'it se­ems a long ti­me sin­ce we knew each ot­her. And you ha­ve be­en thro­ugh a ter­rib­le or­de­al. The Ba­ron has be­en tel­ling me of it. "
I sa­id: "We are for­tu­na­te to ha­ve co­me thro­ugh it ali­ve."
"And this is yo­ur son?" She was lo­oking at Ken­dal and I co­uld not gu­ess what she was thin­king.
"Yes, my son Ken­dal," I sa­id.
Kendal ca­me for­ward and to­ok her hand. He kis­sed it in the French man­ner.
"Charming," she sa­id, then she tur­ned to me: "The si­ege must ha­ve be­en ter­rif­ying."
"We will go in­to the di­ning-ro­om," sa­id the Ba­ron.
She he­si­ta­ted.
"The boy ... sho­uld he eat with Wil­li­am?"
"Not to­day," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"We will see la­ter."
"There is anot­her wo­man ..." be­gan the Prin­ces­se.
"I gat­her she is still sle­eping. So­met­hing can be sent to her r. om when she wa­kes." He spo­ke aut­ho­ri­ta­ti­vely, and his vo­ice was dis­tinctly co­ol when he ad­dres­sed her. Kno­wing him now, I tho­ught, qu­ite well, and al­so kno­wing a lit­tle of her, I tri­ed to pic­tu­re what the­ir li­fe to­get­her was li­ke. I ima­gi­ned that nor­mal­ly they saw very lit­tle of each ot­her.
Kendal had go­ne to the Ba­ron and was smi­ling at him, and I no­ti­ced how the Ba­ron's fa­ce sof­te­ned as he lo­oked at him.
"I li­ke yo­ur cast­le," sa­id Ken­dal.
"I want to see all of it."
"You shall," the Ba­ron pro­mi­sed.
"When?"
"Some ti­me."
The Prin­ces­se led the way in­to the small di­ning-ro­om whe­re I had eaten be­fo­re, so it was fa­mi­li­ar to me. The Ba­ron sat at one end of the tab­le, the Prin­ces­se at the ot­her. Ken­dal and I we­re op­po­si­te each ot­her, and as it was a lar­ge tab­le we se­emed very far apart.
There was so­up first. It se­emed easi­er to eat and the most sa­tis­fac­tory fo­od, for af­ter al­most fo­ur months of dep­ri­va­ti­on one had to adj­ust one­self to eating nor­mal­ly. The­re was an im­pul­se to ove­re­at at the sight of so much de­li­ci­o­us fo­od and we all knew even Ken­dal that we had to rest­ra­in that im­pul­se.
The Prin­ces­se sa­id: "You must tell me all abo­ut yo­ur ter­rib­le or­de­al.
We knew that the Ba­ron was in Pa­ris, of co­ur­se, and we tho­ught we might ne­ver see him aga­in. "
"It must ha­ve be­en a shock when I tur­ned up," sa­id the Ba­ron coldly.
The cor­ners ot­her mo­uth lif­ted ner­vo­usly and she smi­led as tho­ugh he was joking. She sa­id: "We wa­ited every day for news. We did not know what wo­uld be­co­me of us all. The­se fe­ar­ful Ger­mans ..."
"The French will ad­mit de­fe­at," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"There'll be tre­ati­es, unp­le­asant con­se­qu­en­ces for us, and then I sup­po­se the French will be­gin re­bu­il­ding."
"The Ba­ron do­es not con­si­der him­self to be French," sa­id the Prin­ces­se to me.
"He dis­so­ci­ates him­self from the­ir de­fe­at."
"It was mis­ta­ken tac­tics from the first. Folly which re­sul­ted in the only pos­sib­le out­co­me."
Kendal sa­id: "Are the­re dun­ge­ons?"
"Yes," the Ba­ron told him.
"I will show them to you."
"Is any­body in them?" as­ked Ken­dal in a low vo­ice.
"I don't think so. We'll ha­ve a lo­ok to­mor­row."
I sa­id: "It's very go­od of you, Prin­ces­se, to be so hos­pi­tab­le."
"We are ho­no­ured, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son." She stres­sed the Ma­de­mo­isel­le . "The gre­at ar­tist to stay un­der our ro­of!
Remember "Men can ma­ke kings but only God can ma­ke an ar­tist."
Mademoiselle told me that on our first me­eting. Do you re­mem­ber, Ma­de­mo­isel­le? "
There was so­met­hing de­fi­ant abo­ut her, I de­tec­ted. She was frigh­te­ned of him. She hadn't chan­ged very much from the girl who had co­me to my bed­ro­om on that very first night and pre­ten­ded to be a ma­id.
"I re­mem­ber very well," I sa­id, 'and I re­pe­at, it is very go­od of you to ha­ve me and my son he­re. "
She spre­ad her hands.
"It is na­tu­ral that you sho­uld co­me he­re. You ha­ve be­en with my hus­band. , . suf­fe­red with him ... ac­ted as nur­se to him, I he­ar .. and now you ha­ve es­ca­ped with him. You must try this fish. It was ca­ught only this af­ter­no­on and is very lightly co­oked wit­ho­ut sa­uces as af­ter yo­ur or­de­al you will ha­ve to eat very ca­re­ful­ly at first, it has be­en exp­la­ined to me."
"Thank you. You are in­de­ed very go­od. You un­ders­tand that the Ba­ron has very kindly of­fe­red us the Lo­ge un­til I can get back to Pa­ris.
"I know. It has to be ma­de re­ady as it has not be­en used for a long ti­me. For a few days you must stay he­re. I he­ar yo­ur stu­dio in Pa­ris was a gre­at suc­cess ... be­fo­re the si­ege."
"I had many cli­ents."
"It is a long ti­me sin­ce we last met. Six ye­ars ... or mo­re. My lit­tle Wil­li­am must be abo­ut the sa­me age as yo­ur boy."
"Yes, I da­re say."
The Ba­ron had sa­id lit­tle. He was watc­hing us in­tently.
He tal­ked mostly to Ken­dal, who wan­ted to know if they wo­uld de­fend the cast­le if the Ger­mans ca­me he­re.
"To the last man," the Ba­ron told him.
"Are the­re bat­tle­ments?"
"There are in­de­ed."
"Shall we po­ur bo­iling oil down on the in­va­ders when they use the­ir bat­te­ring rams?"
"Boiling oil and tar," sa­id the Ba­ron so­lemnly.
The Prin­ces­se smi­led at me and lif­ted her sho­ul­ders.
"War, war ..." she sa­id.
"Talk of war. I'm ti­red of war.
Mademoiselle Col­li­son, af­ter we ha­ve fi­nis­hed I will co­me to yo­ur ro­om and talk to you. You ne­ed clot­hes. You must ne­ed many things. "
"We did le­ave in a gre­at hurry," I exp­la­ined, 'and so bro­ught not­hing with us. "
"I am su­re we can help."
"Perhaps," I sug­ges­ted, 'the­re is so­me se­amst­ress who co­uld ma­ke so­met­hing for us. I ho­pe so­on to be wor­king aga­in. I do ha­ve mo­ney.
Money was not the prob­lem in Pa­ris. "
"I am su­re we can ar­ran­ge so­met­hing," she sa­id.
There was a lit­tle chic­ken af­ter the fish. The me­nu had be­en ca­re­ful­ly cho­sen. It was the first re­al me­al I had had for months and I felt re­vi­ta­li­zed. The­re was a fa­int co­lo­ur in Ken­dal's che­eks. I co­uld see he was tho­ro­ughly enj­oying this ad­ven­tu­re.
The Ba­ron to­ok him off af­ter the me­al and the Prin­ces­se ca­me to my ro­om with me.
When the do­or of my ro­om shut on us, she se­emed to chan­ge. She drop­ped the po­se of chat ela­ine and be­ca­me the yo­ung girl I had known.
"Life is odd," she sa­id.
"Fancy se­e­ing you aga­in. I've tho­ught of you every ti­me I've lo­oked at the mi­ni­atu­res, and of co­ur­se I he­ard abo­ut yo­ur sa­lon in Pa­ris. You re­al­ly be­ca­me well known, didn't you? It se­ems such a long ti­me ago."
"It is."
"Kate," she sa­id.
"I cal­led you Ka­te, didn't I? I li­ked you ... from the start I li­ked you. You had an air of in­de­pen­den­ce abo­ut you.
"Take it or le­ave it. If you don't li­ke me, emp­loy anot­her ar­tist."
You ha­ve a child now. Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer's, I sup­po­se. Yet you didn't marry him . even tho­ugh the­re was a child. "
"No," I sa­id, "I didn't marry him."
"And you had a child ... and you we­re not mar­ri­ed!"
"That's right."
"You we­re bra­ve."
"I didn't want to marry. We ... er ... didn't want to marry each ot­her."
"So you had the child. How did you ma­na­ge?"
"I was bef­ri­en­ded, and then I had the sa­lon and pe­op­le ca­me, and in that world it didn't se­em to mat­ter so much as it wo­uld in a mo­re con­ven­ti­onal one ... If you un­ders­tand."
"I do. I wish I had be­en in a less con­ven­ti­onal world. Yo­ur boy is be­a­uti­ful. He ne­eds a go­od de­al of fe­eding up."
"He has be­en fo­ur months in a si­ege. We we­re ne­ar star­va­ti­on when we ca­me out."
"And the Ba­ron bro­ught you out. My nob­le hus­band! What was he do­ing in " You must ask him. "
"He ne­ver tells me anyt­hing." She he­si­ta­ted, and I think she was on the ver­ge of a con­fi­den­ce, but she se­emed sud­denly to re­ali­ze that she might be so­mew­hat in­disc­re­et.
"I'll bring so­me clot­hes for you to try," she sa­id.
"And the se­amst­ress?"
"That's for la­ter. At first let me gi­ve you so­met­hing. You are tal­ler than I and so thin ... That might help ... yo­ur be­ing thin. You won't ta­ke up so much. I'll send one of the ma­ids in with so­me things." She lo­oked at me wist­ful­ly.
"When I used to he­ar abo­ut you in that Pa­ris sa­lon, I en­vi­ed you. I mis­sed Pa­ris. I ha­te it he­re... this glo­omy old cast­le. I fe­el li­ke a pri­so­ner so­me­ti­mes. I get so ti­red. I ha­ve to rest a lot. It is sin­ce Wil­li­am's birth."
She tur­ned away and went to the do­or.
I sat down. The fo­od was ha­ving its ef­fect and ma­de me fe­el sle­epy. I lay on the bed for a whi­le but did not sle­ep. Now that my mind was fre­ed from the pre­oc­cu­pa­ti­on with fo­od, I be­gan to see the si­tu­ati­on in which I fo­und myself mo­re cle­arly.
I co­uld not go on he­re. It was only a tem­po­rary res­pi­te. Even if I sta­yed in the Lo­ge I sho­uld be li­ving on the Ba­ron's bo­unty and I co­uld not en­du­re that for long. I must get back to Pa­ris. But how co­uld I get back to Pa­ris? It wo­uld be months per­haps a ye­ar be­fo­re the­re wo­uld be a ho­pe for me to work the­re.
I kept thin­king of his words: "You ha­ve to con­si­der the boy."
Yes, I had to con­si­der Ken­dal. He must be my first res­pon­si­bi­lity. No mat­ter what per­so­nal hu­mi­li­ati­on I suf­fe­red, as long as Ken­dal pro­fi­ted that was all I must think of. Af­ter all, the Ba­ron was his fat­her. It was not li­ke ta­king from a stran­ger.
The ma­id ca­me in with three dres­ses, and so­me pet­ti­co­ats and un­der­gar­ments.
"The Prin­ces­se as­ked if you wo­uld try the­se, Ma­da­me," she sa­id.
I than­ked her and tri­ed on the dres­ses. They we­re not a go­od fit, but they wo­uld suf­fi­ce un­til I co­uld get so­met­hing ma­de.
I had to ad­mit to myself that it was a gre­at re­li­ef to get out of the clot­hes which I had worn for so long.
As I chan­ged in­to a gre­en vel­vet dress, I tho­ught: The­re is not­hing I can do but ac­cept what fa­te has thrust upon me. I ne­ed rest as well as fo­od; my mind ne­eds adj­us­ting. One do­es not go thro­ugh the or­de­al of lo­sing a gre­at fri­end, one's fat­her, and fo­ur months of star­va­ti­on with de­ath thre­ate­ning at every turn wit­ho­ut ne­eding so­me adj­ust­ment.
Until this was ma­de I must shel­ve ot­her prob­lems.
Kendal and I re­ma­ined for a we­ek in the cast­le whi­le the Lo­ge was pre­pa­red for us. The Ba­ron had dec­re­ed that af­ter our or­de­al we ne­eded to rest the­re for a whi­le.

D.

L.

- K
R
His word was law in the cast­le and no one qu­es­ti­oned anyt­hing he com­man­ded. That he sho­uld ar­ri­ve with two wo­men and a child from the si­ege of Pa­ris was tre­ated as tho­ugh it we­re a part of the na­tu­ral co­ur­se of events- be­ca­use that was how he wis­hed it to be ac­cep­ted.
When I tho­ught abo­ut it, I co­uld see that a per­fectly lo­gi­cal exp­la­na­ti­on co­uld be put on what had hap­pe­ned. He had fo­und him­self in Pa­ris; he had se­en a child abo­ut to be crus­hed to de­ath and had thrown him­self on the child and bor­ne the brunt of the col­lap­se of bricks and mor­tar. He had dis­co­ve­red the child to be the son of an ar­tist whom he had on­ce emp­lo­yed and be­ca­use of the di­sor­der in the Pa­ris stre­ets and the ina­bi­lity to get me­di­cal at­ten­ti­on, she had ta­ken him in inj­ured as he was and he had sta­yed in her ho­use to be nur­sed by her. It was all per­fectly lo­gi­cal ex­cept one thing. He co­uld not hi­de his af­fec­ti­on for Ken­dal; and when it was con­si­de­red how he be­ha­ved to­wards Wil­li­amw­ho was ge­ne­ral­ly ac­cep­ted as his son this was very stran­ge.
Moreover, Wil­li­am was small and dark with his mot­her's Va­lo­is no­se. He se­emed to be a ner­vo­us child but I qu­ickly de­du­ced that this was due to the tre­at­ment he had re­ce­ived. The man he be­li­eved to be his fat­her ig­no­red him and his mot­her se­emed in­dif­fe­rent to­wards him too. Po­or child, he had be­en ma­de to fe­el that his pre­sen­ce in this li­fe was rat­her un­ne­ces­sary.
So of co­ur­se they we­re won­de­ring abo­ut us. Then the­re was the fact that the Prin­ces­se cons­tantly re­fer­red to me as Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son -and in­de­ed I had be­en so cal­led when I vi­si­ted the cast­le all tho­se ye­ars ago, and many of them re­mem­be­red me. Mo­re­over, the re­semb­lan­ce bet­we­en Ken­dal and the Ba­ron was be­co­ming mo­re ob­vi­o­us every day.
Oh yes, un­ders­tan­dably the­re we­re spe­cu­la­ti­ons.
They we­re stran­ge days. I think that if I had be­en my pre­vi­o­us self I sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve sta­yed at the cast­le. But I had be­en mo­re we­ake­ned by that so­j­o­urn in Pa­ris than I re­ali­zed. I was still suf­fe­ring from the shock of Ni­co­le's de­ath, which had be­en tem­po­ra­rily mu­ted by ot­her mo­men­to­us events, but now that I had left Pa­ris be­hind me, I tho­ught of Ni­co­le a gre­at de­al.
Then aga­in the­re was the de­ath of my fat­her. The days of my child­ho­od we­re cons­tantly in my mind when my fat­her had be­en clo­ser to me than any ot­her per­son. I was only now re­ali­zing that I sho­uld ne­ver see him aga­in. So I mo­ur­ned the two of them. I lon­ged to he­ar what was hap­pe­ning to Cla­re. So my tho­ughts we­re do­mi­na­ted by my fat­her and Ni­co­le. I mo­ur­ned them both af­resh. The know­led­ge that it was the Ba­ron who had sent Ni­co­le to ca­re for me ma­de no dif­fe­ren­ce to my fe­elings for her. She wo­uld al­ways be re­mem­be­red in my he­art as my go­od fri­end-in-ne­ed, and it was only now that I fully re­ali­zed what a big gap her de­ath fol­lo­wing on that of my fat­her had ma­de in my li­fe.
As for the Ba­ron, I did not want to think of him. Not that I co­uld stop myself. I had to ac­cept the fact that my fe­elings to­wards him had chan­ged. I re­mem­be­red so much abo­ut him- his lying on that bed suf­fe­ring pa­in and re­fu­sing to ad­mit it; the ten­der­ness I so­me­ti­mes saw in his fa­ce, the re­li­ef when I ca­me in­to the ro­om; his lo­ve for Ken­dal for lo­ve it was, alt­ho­ugh strongly tin­ged with the pri­de of pos­ses­si­on.
"This is my son!" That was what he tho­ught every ti­me he lo­oked at Ken­dal; and the fact that he so re­semb­led him ma­de the boy do­ubly en­de­aring to him.
Somewhere at the back of my mind was the tho­ught that he wo­uld ne­ver let Ken­dal go. And what wo­uld that me­an to me?
It se­emed that I was in a ho­pe­less si­tu­ati­on, and I saw it mo­re cle­arly sin­ce I had co­me to the cast­le.
The Ba­ron wan­ted his son. I be­li­eved that if he we­re free he wo­uld at­tempt to ma­ke me marry him. I sho­uld, of co­ur­se, re­fu­se; but he wo­uld at­tempt to bring it abo­ut. He al­ways got what he wan­ted and now he wan­ted Ken­dal.
Two doc­tors ca­me to the cast­le to lo­ok at the Ba­ron's leg.
While they we­re the­re he in­sis­ted that all of us- Ken­dal, Je­an­ne and myself- sho­uld be exa­mi­ned to ma­ke su­re that the months of fa­mi­ne had not im­pa­ired our he­alth. We we­re as­su­red that we had co­me thro­ugh wit­ho­ut harm but that we ne­eded go­od no­uris­hing fo­od to ma­ke us re­al­ly he­althy aga­in.
That was true, I knew; and it was a gre­at joy to see the chan­ge in Ken­da­le­very day.
I wal­ked of­ten du­ring tho­se days a lit­tle at first and gra­du­al­ly inc­re­asing the dis­tan­ce. I used to wan­der down to the ed­ge of the mo­at and sit the­re re­mem­be­ring the day when he had co­me be­hind me and se­en what I was sketc­hing.
Now he fo­und me the­re, and we sat in si­len­ce, lo­oking at the wa­ter.
Then he sa­id: "We ca­me thro­ugh, Ka­te. The­re we­re ti­mes when I tho­ught we sho­uld ne­ver get out of that ho­use."
"I tho­ught you al­ways be­li­eved we wo­uld."
"It was just the oc­ca­si­onal do­ubt. The boy is re­co­ve­ring fast... fas­ter than any of us."
"He's yo­ung."
"He's a de Cen­te­vil­le."
"Also aCol­li­son."
"Divine com­bi­na­ti­on."
"We can't stay he­re," I sa­id.
"You're go­ing to the Lo­ge. Ha­ve you se­en it yet? I'll ta­ke you over it."
"Now?"
"In a lit­tle whi­le. Let's sit he­re and talk first. Ka­te, what are we go­ing to do, you and I?"
"I am go­ing to the Lo­ge and I shall re­turn to Pa­ris as so­on as everyt­hing is nor­mal."
He la­ug­hed.
"How long is Pa­ris go­ing to ta­ke to re­co­ver, do you think?
There is ri­oting in the stre­ets now. They are set­ting fi­re to so­me of the bu­il­dings the­re, I he­ar. How long do you think it is go­ing to ta­ke Fran­ce to re­co­ver? "
"Perhaps I sho­uld go back to Eng­land. I might set up a stu­dio in Lon­don."
"I want you to stay he­re."
"Here! In the cast­le!"
"No ... so­mew­he­re not too far away. I'll find a pla­ce. I shall be with you ... most of the ti­me."
"You me­an I sho­uld be­co­me yo­ur mist­ress?"
"You co­uld call it that."
"Isn't that what it wo­uld be cal­led? The ans­wer is no."
"Why not? I want to ke­ep the boy. I tho­ught of le­gi­ti­mi­zing him .. ma­king him my he­ir. "
"But you ha­ve an he­ir. You ha­ve Wil­li­am."
"You know that he is not mi­ne."
"He is in the eyes of the law."
"I don't ac­cept that sort of law."
"Unfortunately for you, the rest of the world do­es."
"You know how it is with this mar­ri­age of mi­ne."
"You sho­uld try to un­ders­tand the Prin­ces­se. You co­uld grow fond ot­her if you ma­de an ef­fort to do so. I know her. I wor­ked on her port­ra­it.
It is surp­ri­sing how one gets to know pe­op­le who­se port­ra­its one pa­ints. "
"I know this: I don't want to be with her... to see her ... She has fo­is­ted that bas­tard on me. It is the worst thing she co­uld ha­ve do­ne to me."
"See it her way. You un­ders­tand the­se sud­den im­pul­ses. Why sho­uld it be ac­cep­ted that a man may in­dul­ge his and it is so dre­ad­ful when a wo­man do­es?"
"Because of the re­sults when a wo­man do­es."
"There may well be re­sults, which sho­uld con­cern the men."
"I did con­cern myself."
"I know. You sent Ni­co­le to dis­co­ver what was hap­pe­ning to me and when you knew I was to ha­ve a child you set up that ela­bo­ra­te es­tab­lish­ment."
"You see, I ca­red. I ma­de su­re that you had the cli­ents you wo­uld ne­ed. I sa­tis­fi­ed myself that you we­re in go­od hands. I did everyt­hing I co­uld."
"Except that which you sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve do­ne in the first pla­ce."
"Are you go­ing to hold that aga­inst me all our li­ves?"
"Yes," I sa­id.
"Well, you will ha­ve to be with me to show me yo­ur re­sent­ment."
"I ha­ve no help for it at the mo­ment. I know it so­unds ung­ra­te­ful, but in vi­ew of everyt­hing, you must un­ders­tand. I wo­uld not be he­re if it we­re not for the boy."
"I know. Every ti­me it is the boy."
"And wo­uld you want me he­re if you did not ha­ve to ha­ve me to get Ken­dal?"
"That's whe­re you are wrong. If the­re we­re no child, I sho­uld want you just as much. Ka­te, be sen­sib­le. You know I want you ... you only.
More than I want the boy, I want you. We co­uld get mo­re boys li­ke Ken­dal. You did so­met­hing to me. "
"I am glad the­re was so­me re­ta­li­ati­on."
"I fe­el vi­tal when I am with you."
"I tho­ught you felt mag­ni­fi­cent all the ti­me ... as the gre­atest man the world has ever known."
"Well, that's just a na­tu­ral fe­eling. The­re is so­met­hing spe­ci­al in it when I am with you. I want you and the boy. I wo­uld to God my wi­fe wo­uld go to sle­ep one af­ter­no­on and ne­ver wa­ke up. Then we wo­uld be mar­ri­ed, Ka­te. I wo­uld con­vin­ce you then."
"Don't da­re say such things ... in my he­aring," I cri­ed.
"Other pe­op­le ha­ve the­ir li­ves, you know. We are not all on Earth to ser­ve yo­ur ne­eds. You used me for re­ven­ge ... the pet­ti­est re­ven­ge.
You mar­ri­ed the Prin­ces­se that yo­ur child­ren might ha­ve that French ro­yal blo­od which se­emed so im­por­tant to you ... on­ce. Now, you no lon­ger fe­el that it is ne­ces­sary. Fran­ce is a re­pub­lic now. A bos la nob­les­se. The­re­fo­re let us re­mo­ve the Prin­ces­se."
"I did not say I wo­uld re­mo­ve her. I sa­id I do not lo­ve her. I ha­ve ne­ver lo­ved her. She ir­ri­ta­tes me and I lo­at­he be­ing ne­ar her. I wish she wo­uld die in her sle­ep. She is al­ways comp­la­ining abo­ut her ill he­alth. She do­es not se­em to ta­ke much ple­asu­re in li­fe so per­haps she wo­uld not ca­re gre­atly if she left it and ce­ased to be an in­con­ve­ni­en­ce. At le­ast I am truth­ful. I do­ubt whet­her I am the first hus­band with an un­wan­ted wi­fe who has felt the wish- even if he has not exp­res­sed it that she will pass gently out of his li­fe. And as I mar­ri­ed her, and she is a Cat­ho­lic and ro­yal, she wo­uld ne­ed a dis­pen­sa­ti­on to an­nul her mar­ri­age, and I am su­re she wo­uld ne­ver ag­ree to that. It is only hu­man na­tu­re that I sho­uld wish her gently to pass away. The­re. I am ho­nest."
I tur­ned to him.
"You alarm me when you talk li­ke that He to­ok my hand and kis­sed it.
I went on: "You se­em to get what you want... al­ways."
"Yes, Ka­te, so I do. And one of the­se days I'll ha­ve you and the boy . and all the ot­hers we shall ha­ve. We we­re me­ant for each ot­her.
Your spi­rit. yo­ur in­de­pen­den­ce . yo­ur lo­vely dark-red ha­ir . I think of them all the ti­me. I shall ha­ve no pe­ace un­til we are to­get­her as on­ce we we­re for three nights . re­mem­ber. One day we shall be to­get­her aga­in. Don't tempt me too far, Ka­te. "
I sa­id: "I see I must le­ave the cast­le."
"You will be in the Lo­ge clo­se by."
"You ma­ke it very dif­fi­cult for me. I don't see whe­re I can turn. I know I ought to go away tho­ugh ... right away."
"And ta­ke the boy? Sub­mit him to ... what? He ne­eds ca­re. He ne­eds pe­ace of mind. The sort of li­fe he had to le­ad in Pa­ris has its ef­fect on a child's mind. I won't ha­ve him ta­ken away from he­re."
"You co­uldn't stop me if I wan­ted to ta­ke him. You ha­ve no cla­im."
"As his fat­her ..."
"Your part in his con­cep­ti­on was mi­ni­mal. The sort of chan­ce en­co­un­ter. The­re are many such. I can ne­ver un­ders­tand why it is tho­ught that a fat­her sho­uld ha­ve a cla­im to com­pa­re with that of a mot­her. That child has grown in me ... he has be­en my li­fe from the mo­ment I was awa­re of his exis­ten­ce. Don't talk to me abo­ut cla­ims."
"Fiery Ka­te. Be­lo­ved Ka­te. Every mo­ment you con­vin­ce me that I can­not li­ve wit­ho­ut you."
"What has the doc­tor sa­id abo­ut yo­ur leg?" I as­ked.
"Nothing can be do­ne. It ne­eded at­ten­ti­on at the ti­me. I've lost so­me of the bo­ne. I shall limp for the rest of my days."
"And the pa­in?"
He shrug­ged his sho­ul­ders.
"Sometimes it's the­re. Not as it was. Now it's me­rely an ir­ri­ta­ting nag­ging. It is wor­se when I'm angry and when the we­at­her is cold."
"You can't chan­ge one," I sa­id, 'but you can the ot­her. So . don't get angry. "
"Take ca­re of me then... as you did in that ho­use... only dif­fe­rently.
Let's be lo­vers as we we­re be­fo­re ... only dif­fe­rently aga­in. Let us be the ten­der pas­si­ona­te lo­vers which we co­uld be, you know."
"Let us go and lo­ok at the Lo­ge," I sa­id.
He ro­se obe­di­ently and we wal­ked ro­und the mo­at.
The Lo­ge was the­re nest­ling un­der the sha­dow of the cast­le . gro­wing out from its walls, as it we­re.
"It was ad­ded on se­ve­ral hund­red ye­ars af­ter the cast­le was bu­ilt," he sa­id.
"Some ti­me in the eigh­te­enth cen­tury, I be­li­eve. One of my an­ces­tors bu­ilt it for his mist­ress. Af­ter­wards it was used by so­me of the ser­vants. I don't think it has be­en in­ha­bi­ted for so­me ye­ars now."
He led me in. The­re was a big ro­om with a gre­at fi­rep­la­ce and a flag­ged sto­ne flo­or. The­re we­re so­me pi­eces of fur­ni­tu­re in the hall an oak set­tle, a long tab­le and so­me cha­irs.
"You co­uld ma­ke it cosy," he sa­id.
"There is a fa­irly lar­ge kitc­hen and se­ve­ral bed­ro­oms. Re­mem­ber it is just a port in a storm.
I tur­ned to him.
"It's re­al­ly go­od of you," I sa­id.
"I'm af­ra­id you think I'm rat­her chur­lish at ti­mes. I know I owe you a gre­at de­al .. "
"But not­hing will ever set­tle the sco­re, will it? Per­haps in twenty ye­ars' ti­me, when you and I are no lon­ger yo­ung and I ha­ve shown you a li­fe­ti­me of de­vo­ti­on and that with you and the boy, and the ot­her child­ren we shall ha­ve, I can be qu­ite dif­fe­rent from that sa­va­ge you on­ce knew when you re­cog­ni­ze in me the only hus­band you co­uld pos­sibly lo­ve, then we shall call it qu­its. Do you think so?"
I tur­ned away from him, but he was be­si­de me.
"Do you, Ka­te?" he in­sis­ted.
"You spe­ak of the im­pos­sib­le."
"It might not al­ways be im­pos­sib­le," he rep­li­ed.
I was to re­mem­ber that. la­ter.
I was gro­wing mo­re ap­pre­hen­si­ve. The mo­re I re­tur­ned to what I cal­led nor­mal, the mo­re I re­ali­zed the dif­fi­cul­ti­es of the si­tu­ati­on in­to which I had fal­len. The­re was one gre­at re­com­pen­se and that was Ken­dal. In less than a we­ek he had star­ted to put on flesh; he had re­ga­ined his nor­mal vi­ta­lity; he was a he­althy, happy boy. That he lo­ved the cast­le and this new li­fe was un­de­ni­ab­le. He was gro­wing mo­re and mo­re fond of the Ba­ron I was be­gin­ning to call him Rol­lo to myself now. Ken­dal was not in the le­ast in awe of him and I don't think Rol­lo had ever had that sort of re­gard be­fo­re. He spent a lot of ti­me with the boy.
It was only the third day af­ter our re­turn when he told Ken­dal that he wan­ted to show him so­met­hing rat­her spe­ci­al in the stab­les; and when they had go­ne down the­re to­get­her a whi­te pony, such as he had desc­ri­bed on Christ­mas Day, was wa­iting.
Kendal ca­me in to tell me abo­ut it, che­eks scar­let and eyes glo­wing.
"There it was, Ma­man ... The­re it was ... just li­ke the Ba­ron sa­id . and it's mi­ne."
After that he had to le­arn to ri­de. So­me­ti­mes Rol­lo to­ok him out and they wo­uld ri­de ro­und the gre­ens­ward by the mo­at. So­me­ti­mes one of the gro­oms to­ok him.
The next day Je­an­ne ca­me to me, her eyes glo­wing with won­der.
"Look what the Ba­ron has gi­ven me," she sa­id.
"Do you re­mem­ber the Christ­mas pre­sents we tal­ked of? Well, he­re is the bro­och .. just as he desc­ri­bed it. He sa­id I had be­en so go­od, lo­oking af­ter you all ..."
She tur­ned away, her eyes fil­ling with te­ars. She was de­ligh­ted with the bro­och. She had ne­ver had anyt­hing ap­pro­ac­hing its va­lue be­fo­re.
Being a prac­ti­cal French­wo­man she wo­uld see it as a nest- egg, but it wo­uld ha­ve a sen­ti­men­tal va­lue for her as well.
Kendal was ove­rj­oyed when he saw it. He kept tal­king abo­ut it and when I went down to the mo­at I saw him on his le­ading re­in with Rol­lo be­si­de him.
He sho­uted to me: "Watch, Ma­man. Watch me. Ba­ron, ple­ase ... don't hold the re­ins."
He was al­lo­wed to trot on his own.
"He's go­ing to be a fi­ne hor­se­man," sa­id Rol­lo.
I sto­od the­re lo­oking at my son, his eyes spark­ling, his che­eks flus­hed with he­alth, la­ug­hing pro­udly, watc­hing us to ma­ke su­re we we­re ad­mi­ring him.
He ca­me back to us.
"Jeanne has a bro­och," he sa­id.
"It's her Christ­mas pre­sent co­me true."
Then he la­ug­hed sud­denly and to­ok my hand. He was lo­oking for the sap­phi­re ring which Rol­lo had desc­ri­bed.
He was di­sap­po­in­ted. I sa­id: "Well, aren't you go­ing to trot aga­in?"
But Rol­lo wo­uld not let it pass.
"You are lo­oking for the ring," he sa­id.
"Maman is the only one who has not got her pre­sent."
"Hers is not re­ady yet," sa­id Rol­lo.
"When will it be re­ady?" de­man­ded Ken­dal.
"She ought to ha­ve it, oughtn't she?"
"Yes," sa­id Rol­lo, 'she ought to ha­ve it. "
"But when ... ?"
Rollo lo­oked ste­adily at me.
"When?" he re­pe­ated.
"We can't all ha­ve pre­sents," I sa­id.
"You are lucky to ha­ve this lo­vely pony, and je­an­ne is lucky too."
Toa ought to be lucky, Ma­man. "
"I'll tell you so­met­hing," sa­id Rol­lo to Ken­dal.
"She will ha­ve that ring one day."
He was lo­oking at me ste­adily with that bur­ning ga­ze which re­min­ded me of that long-ago bed­ro­om . I felt ex­ci­te­ment ri­sing wit­hin me.
My fe­elings for this man we­re be­gin­ning to be be­yond my comp­re­hen­si­on.
Marie-Claude was sho­wing a gre­at in­te­rest in me. She won­de­red, na­tu­ral­ly, how I sho­uld ha­ve co­me to be with her hus­band in Pa­ris. She co­uld not qu­ite ac­cept the ac­co­unt of the chan­ce me­eting du­ring the bom­bard­ment when he had sa­ved Ken­dal's li­fe.
She had chan­ged in so­me ways from that yo­ung girl who had blit­hely go­ne off with her lo­ver at the fe­te cham­pet­re and con­duc­ted an int­ri­gue with him. Then she had be­en reck­less and im­pus­li­ve. Now she had be­co­me a ner­vo­us and ap­pre­hen­si­ve wo­man.
She was far from disp­le­ased that I had co­me to the cha­te­au and had no wish for me to le­ave and go to the Lo­ge. I think, stran­gely eno­ugh, I of­fe­red so­me com­fort to her.
Then the­re was Wil­li­am. Po­or lit­tle Wil­li­am! My he­art went out to him from the mo­ment I met him. Po­or child, he must ha­ve be­en un­wan­ted be­fo­re he ac­tu­al­ly ma­de his ap­pe­aran­ce. I won­de­red what Ma­rie-Cla­ude's fe­elings must ha­ve be­en when she knew that she was preg­nant and she wo­uld not be ab­le to hi­de the fact that the child was not his from the hus­band who ter­ri­fi­ed her.
I be­li­eved that she had re­sen­ted be­ing for­ced in­to mar­ri­age and that in a spi­rit of re­bel­li­on she had ta­ken a lo­ver. She was a sad sha­dow of the de­fi­ant girl she had be­en. The birth of Wil­li­am had ne­arly kil­led her, I dis­co­ve­red.
As for Wil­li­am, he was a small frigh­te­ned child. I felt in­dig­nant both with Rol­lo and Ma­rie-Cla­ude when I con­si­de­red the child. Wha­te­ver his di­sil­lu­si­on and her de­fi­an­ce, they had no right to let the child suf­fer for it.
Ignored by his pa­rents, he was cons­tantly trying to as­sert him­self. I un­ders­to­od why he did this, but tho­se abo­ut him se­emed to ha­ve ma­de up the­ir minds that he was simply an unp­le­asant lit­tle boy. He was, of co­ur­se, gre­atly in­te­res­ted in Ken­dal. My son had be­en wrap­ped abo­ut with lo­ve ever sin­ce his birth. I must ha­ve con­ve­yed to him that he was the most im­por­tant part of my li­fe; Ni­co­le had lo­ved him;
Jeanne, tho­ugh firm and ne­ver fa­iling to cor­rect his fa­ults, was de­vo­ted to him. And now Rol­lo sho­wed him a very spe­ci­al at­ten­ti­on. He was bu­ilt up in se­cu­rity. It had be­en just the op­po­si­te with Wil­li­am.
His pa­rents had not wan­ted to be bot­he­red with him; whe­ne­ver he saw his mot­her she se­emed pre­oc­cu­pi­ed with so­met­hing el­se and he was told that he must not stay with her too long be­ca­use of the ef­fect he had on her ner­ves. He told me this when I had ga­ined his con­fi­den­ce. As for his fat­her, he did not se­em to be awa­re of him.
William con­fi­ded in me that he be­li­eved the­re had be­en wic­ked fa­iri­es at his chris­te­ning who had dec­re­ed that whe­ne­ver his fat­her was the­re a clo­ak sho­uld be thrown ro­und Wil­li­am to ma­ke him in­vi­sib­le. Then they ma­de him do so­met­hing to worry his mot­her's ner­ves. He did not know what ner­ves we­re; all he was awa­re of was that he pos­ses­sed Is so­me myste­ri­o­us po­wer to dis­turb them.
"I don't know what I do," he sa­id.
"If I did I wo­uldn't do it. Oh, it is the­se wic­ked fa­iri­es."
I tal­ked abo­ut him with je­an­ne She was te­ac­hing Ken­dal and she sa­id she wo­uld ta­ke on Wil­li­am with him; and as they we­re only too glad to be rid of Wil­li­am in his own nur­sery, the two boys to­ok les­sons with je­an­ne We we­re ple­ased to dis­co­ver that Wil­li­am was by no me­ans dull.
"In fact," sa­id Je­an­ne, "I think with the right te­ac­hing he might turn out to be qu­ite cle­ver. We ha­ve to bre­ak down the­se bar­ri­ers first, tho­ugh. He is on the de­fen­si­ve all the ti­me."
At first Ken­dal did not li­ke him and de­man­ded to know if he had to be with him.
"He can't run as fast as I can," he sa­id con­temp­tu­o­usly.
"All the mo­re re­ason why you sho­uld be his fri­end," we told him.
"He's rat­her silly re­al­ly."
"That's what you think. He might think you are."
That as­to­nis­hed Ken­dal and he was very tho­ught­ful. Af­ter that I ca­ught him ob­ser­ving Wil­li­am very clo­sely. I knew he was won­de­ring in what way Wil­li­am co­uld pos­sibly think he was silly.
Then when Wil­li­am fo­und the ans­wer to a sum be­fo­re Ken­dal did, so Je­an­ne told me, it se­emed to mark a dif­fe­ren­ce in the­ir re­la­ti­ons­hip.
Kendal had had pro­of that Wil­li­am was bet­ter at so­me things than he was. It was a go­od les­son for him.
Jeanne had a way with child­ren. She la­id down ru­les which had to be obe­yed and they se­emed to li­ke that. Wil­li­am was al­ways in the scho­ol­ro­om in ti­me and Je­an­ne and I no­ti­ced that the two boys of­ten went off to­get­her. Ken­dal was un­do­ub­tedly the le­ader of the ga­mes and de­ci­ded what they sho­uld play, but in the clas­sro­om Wil­li­am wo­uld of­ten ans­wer first.
"I al­low a lit­tle sub­ter­fu­ge now and then," sa­id Je­an­ne.
"It is mo­re im­por­tant for them to be fri­ends. So I pre­tend not to see it, when Wil­li­am pas­ses an ans­wer to Ken­dal. I want Ken­dal to re­ali­ze that he is not su­pe­ri­or be­ca­use he can ri­de and run bet­ter and is an inch or so tal­ler."
I was gi­ven the ro­om in which I had first wor­ked on the Ba­ron's mi­ni­atu­re in or­der that I might pa­int if I wan­ted to. The boys used to co­me up the­re and Ken­dal lo­ved to draw and pa­int.
I ga­ve Wil­li­am so­me pa­ints and let him try his hand. It was cle­ar that he was not go­ing to be an ar­tist.
"See if you can draw a fa­ce," I sa­id, 'and then pa­int it. But draw it first. "
William did so­met­hing which was me­ant to be a port­ra­it. I co­uld not tell who it was me­ant to be.
"It's my fat­her," he sa­id. See . he's big and strong. He's the stron­gest man in the world. "
"That's not li­ke him," sa­id Ken­daS, and pro­ce­eded to do a sketch which un­do­ub­tedly bo­re mo­re than a slight re­semb­lan­ce to the Ba­ron.
William was over­co­me with awe. He lo­oked at me sadly.
"I wish I co­uld draw my fat­her," he sa­id.
I let my hand rest lightly on his sho­ul­der and rep­li­ed:
"Never mind. It was a go­od try. Al­ways re­mem­ber that if you can't do one thing, the­re are al­ways ot­hers you can do. Ma­de­mo­isel­le Je­an­ne tells me you are qu­ick with yo­ur sums."
"I li­ke sums," he sa­id, smi­ling.
"Well then ..." I le­aned to­wards him and whis­pe­red: "I think you be­at Ken­dal at them ... and he can draw a lit­tle bet­ter than you can. He's my son and I'm an ar­tist. His grand­fat­her was an ar­tist and his gre­at... gre­at... as many gre­ats as you can think of... we­re.
It's in the fa­mily. "
"He's li­ke them. I'll be li­ke my fat­her when I'm grown up."
It all ca­me back to one thing. He ido­li­zed the fat­her who ig­no­red him.
I felt my an­ger ri­sing aga­inst Rol­lo on­ce mo­re.
Rollo was al­ways se­eking an op­por­tu­nity to be alo­ne with me. It was ti­me I left the cast­le. When I was in the Lo­ge it must be easi­er, I told myself. Then it oc­cur­red to me that it might be wor­se. I sho­uld not go the­re. I sho­uld le­ave wit­ho­ut de­lay. But whe­re co­uld I go to?
And what of Ken­dal? He must not get thin and ill-no­uris­hed aga­in.
I re­monst­ra­ted with Rol­lo.
"You are cru­el to Wil­li­am' I told him.
"Why do you ha­ve to be­ha­ve as tho­ugh the boy is not the­re?"
"It's the easi­est way to to­le­ra­te him."
"You vent yo­ur petty spi­te on a child. I think that is des­pi­cab­le."
"Dear Ka­te, I can't pre­tend to li­ke the boy. Every ti­me I see him, I re­mem­ber who he is. L'Estran­ge's bas­tard. You co­uldn't ex­pect me to tre­at him as tho­ugh he we­re my own child."
"You co­uld pre­tend."
"I'm not go­od at pre­ten­ce."
"I tho­ught you we­re sup­po­sed to be go­od at anyt­hing you put yo­ur mind to."
"Not that. I ne­ver want to see the boy."
"And now Ken­dal is he­re, it is wor­se. I saw Wil­li­am watc­hing you the ot­her day when you we­re with Ken­dal. He ca­me run­ning to you and you went on tal­king to Ken­dal as tho­ugh Wil­li­am we­re not the­re. Can't you see what you are do­ing to the child?"
"I don't see him at all."
"It's cru­el, and for so­me in­comp­re­hen­sib­le re­ason, the boy se­ems to ido­li­ze you."
"It's ob­vi­o­usly the right way to tre­at him then."
"A lit­tle no­ti­ce from you wo­uld ma­ke him comp­le­tely happy."
"You are sen­ti­men­tal Ka­te. Turn yo­ur sen­ti­ments to a mo­re worthy ca­use."
"You won­der why I don't ca­re for you. If you wo­uld ta­ke a go­od lo­ok at yo­ur­self, you wo­uld see why no­body co­uld."
"You are il­lo­gi­cal, Ka­te. A mo­ment ago you we­re tel­ling me the boy ido­li­zed me. But why, when we are to­get­her, do we was­te our ti­me tal­king abo­ut him?"
"I hap­pen to be in­te­res­ted in him." I shrug­ged my sho­ul­ders and tur­ned away.
He was be­si­de me, ta­king my hand.
"It's hard go­ing on li­ke this," he sa­id.
"Every night . you're in the cast­le ... and not with me."
"I shall be go­ing to the Lo­ge to­mor­row."
"And I shall be thin­king of you the­re in just the sa­me way."
"I won­der if I ought to try to get to Eng­land. They'll be wor­ri­ed abo­ut me. Go­od he­avens, they will be thin­king I am still in Pa­ris.
They'll know the news, of co­ur­se. "
"I sho­uld think the who­le world knows of the hu­mi­li­ati­on of Pa­ris "Is it pos­sib­le to get a let­ter to Eng­land?"
"It might be. I don't know what's hap­pe­ning at the ports. The si­tu­ati­on is rat­her va­gue. I gat­her that the Com­mu­nists of Pa­ris are now figh­ting aga­inst the new Re­pub­lic. They don't want a pe­ace­ful so­lu­ti­on. It se­ems they want re­vo­lu­ti­on aga­in. The­re is no law and or­der in the city. Thank God we got away when we did, he­aven knows what wo­uld ha­ve hap­pe­ned to us among that mad rab­ble. They are ri­oting still and dest­ro­ying bu­il­dings. It se­ems it is just for the sa­ke of dest­ruc­ti­on. You wo­uld think Pa­ris had suf­fe­red eno­ugh."
"It se­ems as if I shall ne­ver get back."
"It will be a long ti­me."
"I am su­re my step­mot­her will be an­xi­o­us. I ha­ven't he­ard from her sin­ce the de­ath of my fat­her. That was just be­fo­re the si­ege star­ted.
She wro­te a he­artb­re­aking let­ter to me. Po­or Cla­re! She is very gent­le wo­man . unab­le to ta­ke ca­re of her­self very well. I sho­uld li­ke her to know that I am sa­fe. "
"I'll tell you what I'll do. Wri­te yo­ur let­ter to her and I'll send a man to the co­ast with it to see what the po­si­ti­on is. I don't know whet­her the pac­ket bo­ats are go­ing back and forth ac­ross the Chan­nel. It may well be that they are. Wri­te yo­ur let­ter and he will ta­ke it. If he can send it, all well and go­od. If not. well, we'll try aga­in la­ter. "
"Thank you. That's go­od of you."
"Oh, Ka­te, you wo­uld find out how very go­od I can be if only ..."
"It's a for­bid­den su­bj­ect."
"Tell me one thing. If I we­re free ..."
"You are not free. Ple­ase don't talk in this way. You can­not be free, and the­re is an end to it. If I co­uld le­ave for Eng­land, I co­uld stay with my step­mot­her for a whi­le un­til I de­ci­ded what I co­uld do."
"Then per­haps I had bet­ter not send that let­ter." He la­ug­hed at me.
"No, Ka­te, you ta­ke me too se­ri­o­usly so­me­ti­mes. Of co­ur­se, I'll get that let­ter ac­ross if it is pos­sib­le. I'm not the man to be frigh­te­ned of a step­mot­her."
"Thank you," I sa­id.
The next day Ken­dal' Je­an­ne and I mo­ved in­to the Lo­ge.
Jeanne and I fo­und it mo­re com­for­tab­le li­ving in the Lo­ge. The­re was a co­si­ness abo­ut it which the cast­le lac­ked. We co­uld get the pla­ce warm be­ca­use it was so small, and nest­ling be­low the cast­le me­ant that it was pro­tec­ted from the cold winds which buf­fe­ted the gre­at edi­fi­ce abo­ve us.
It had be­en ar­ran­ged that Je­an­ne and Ken­dal sho­uld go to the cast­le for les­sons be­ca­use Wil­li­am wo­uld jo­in them the­re. Je­an­ne and I nat­te­red each ot­her and our­sel­ves that the­re was a per­cep­tib­le chan­ge in Wil­li­am sin­ce we had co­me; he had lost a lit­tle of his ner­vo­us­ness and the fact that he had his mo­ments of tri­umph in the scho­ol­ro­om ga­ve him con­fi­den­ce. Ken­dal had ta­ken up an al­most pro­tec­ti­ve at­ti­tu­de to­wards him sin­ce Je­an­ne and I had told him that he must not be too ro­ugh with him; and ins­te­ad of re­sen­ting this at­ti­tu­de, Wil­li­am se­emed to ap­pre­ci­ate it.
As for myself, I was very res­ti­ve. I did not li­ke to be so re­li­ant on Rol­lo's hos­pi­ta­lity. Had I be­en alo­ne, I sho­uld ha­ve at­temp­ted to get to Eng­land, but be­ca­use of Ken­dal I was very un­cer­ta­in. Ha­ving se­en him so wan and ill- no­uris­hed, I was af­ra­id to su­bj­ect him to anyt­hing li­ke that aga­in. I of­ten won­de­red if the or­de­al had we­ake­ned him a lit­tle alt­ho­ugh he sho­wed no signs of it. In any ca­se, be­ca­use I was de­ter­mi­ned not to su­bj­ect him to anyt­hing li­ke that aga­in, if I co­uld help it, I must sub­mer­ge my pri­de and ac­cept this po­si­ti­on for that re­ason.
I was not blind to the fact that it was an exp­lo­si­ve si­tu­ati­on. The­re we­re sche­mes in Rol­lo's mind, and I had re­ason to know to what lengths he wo­uld be ca­pab­le of go­ing in or­der to carry them out. His pas­si­on for me se­emed to inc­re­ase and he was get­ting im­pa­ti­ent. He ma­de no at­tempt to dis­gu­ise his pri­de in Ken­dal, and I fo­und it dis­tur­bing to li­ve un­der the sa­me ro­of for one might say that, even tho­ugh I was the Lo­ge as him­self and his wi­fe.
I must get away. I told myself that a hund­red ti­mes a day. But how?
That was the qu­es­ti­on.
I was eager for news of what was hap­pe­ning in the co­untry. Pa­ris was in tur­mo­il. The­re was news of a Na­ti­onal As­sembly to be held at Bor­de­a­ux. The­re we­re me­etings at Ver­sa­il­les. The co­untry was in di­sor­der, and we we­re for­tu­na­te to be in our lit­tle oasis, the li­ke of which the­re co­uld only be a few in re­mo­te co­untry pla­ces thro­ug­ho­ut the who­le of Fran­ce.
So I must be ca­re­ful. I must not be rash. I must swal­low my pri­de and ac­cept this ext­ra­or­di­nary si­tu­ati­on un­til I co­uld see a way out of it.
If I we­re ho­nest with myself I wo­uld ad­mit that I did not want to go away. It was go­ing to ta­ke me no less than the ot­hers so­me ti­me to re­co­ver from the fe­ar­ful or­de­al thro­ugh which I had pas­sed in the Pa­ris si­ege. The­re was only one thing to do . wa­it. And I was re­li­eved in a way that cir­cums­tan­ces for­ced me to ac­cept this.
On my first mor­ning at the Lo­ge, Rol­lo cal­led. Je­an­ne and Ken­dal had go­ne up to the cast­le for les­sons so I was alo­ne.
He was cle­arly de­ligh­ted by this and, I ex­pec­ted, had ar­ran­ged to co­me at this ti­me.
"Well," he sa­id, 'how do you fe­el abo­ut this pla­ce? "
"It is very com­for­tab­le."
"And we are not far apart. In a way this is pro­bably mo­re con­ve­ni­ent."
"Convenient?" I as­ked.
"There is mo­re ... so­li­tu­de." He was lo­oking at me ear­nestly.
"What are we go­ing to do, Ka­te?"
"Do? We? Ken­dal and I will ha­ve to stay he­re un­til I can work so­met­hing out."
"I can think of a ple­asant way of wor­king it out."
"I must get back to Pa­ris or go to Eng­land. I think per­haps the lat­ter wo­uld be best for, as you say, it will ta­ke a long ti­me for Pa­ris to get back to nor­mal."
"What wo­uld you do in Eng­land?"
"Paint."
"You are not known in Eng­land."
"My fat­her was."
"You are not yo­ur fat­her. I set you up in Pa­ris. It was my re­com­men­da­ti­ons which bro­ught tho­se sit­ters."
"I know that now, but I must try. Me­rit will win thro­ugh in the end."
"Meanwhile, in the tra­di­ti­on of ar­tists, you will star­ve in yo­ur gar­ret. Ar­tists can only be suc­ces­sful if they are fas­hi­onab­le. Pe­op­le are li­ke she­ep. They are told: " This is go­od" and they say: " This is go­od". If they are not told they do not know ... and obs­cu­rity for them me­ans in­com­pe­ten­ce."
"I know that it is true, but I think that even­tu­al­ly hard work wins thro­ugh."
"When you're de­ad, per­haps. But that is not go­ing to ke­ep you and the boy in lu­xury ... not even the ne­ces­si­ti­es of li­fe. Be sen­sib­le Ka­te.
You and I will be to­get­her. You shall ha­ve a stu­dio. I swe­ar I'll ne­ver in­ter­fe­re with yo­ur work. I'll ha­ve the boy le­gi­ti­mi­zed."
"How can that be?"
"It's pos­sib­le. It won't be the first ti­me it has be­en do­ne. We'll ha­ve a ho­me to­get­her. We'll cho­ose the pla­ce. You shall cho­ose it. We be­long to­get­her. I know that to be true ... mo­re than I ha­ve ever known anyt­hing."
"You are a man of wi­de ex­pe­ri­en­ce," I sa­id, 'and you ma­ke yo­ur plans and de­ci­de what is to be do­ne not only by yo­ur­self but by ever­yo­ne el­se. The­re is one thing you ha­ve not le­ar­ned yet and that is that whe­re two pe­op­le are con­cer­ned the­re are two opi­ni­ons . two wills.
You may ha­ve be­en ab­le to bend pe­op­le yo­ur way in the past, but it do­es not work li­ke that with ever­yo­ne. "
"I know, Ka­te. I'm le­ar­ning."
"You are be­co­ming qu­ite humb­le ... for you."
"It's all part of what you are te­ac­hing me, and you are te­ac­hing me a gre­at de­al, Ka­te. I ne­ver tho­ught I co­uld be­co­me as ob­ses­sed by a wo­man as I am by you."
"Might that be be­ca­use you can­not ha­ve me?"
"Cannot is a word I don't ac­cept."
"It is a word we all ha­ve t(› ac­cept at ti­mes ... even you."
He to­ok me in his arms sud­denly and kis­sed me vi­olently. I was ta­ken off my gu­ard and for a few se­conds did not fight back. The tho­ught flas­hed in­to my mind: We are alo­ne in this ho­use. I am at his mercy.
And alt­ho­ugh I tri­ed to sup­press the wild ex­ci­te­ment which pos­ses­sed me, I co­uld not.
I was des­pe­ra­tely af­ra­id that he wo­uld sen­se my fe­elings. He must ne­ver know how he co­uld ta­ke me off my gu­ard, stir my emo­ti­ons, ma­ke me fe­el that I wan­ted him to use vi­olen­ce aga­inst me. I dre­amed so­me­ti­mes that I was in that bed­ro­om in the to­wer, and when I awo­ke it was not with a sen­se of fe­ar and re­vul­si­on, but of lon­ging to be the­re in fact.
At the back of my mind this chan­ge in my fe­elings to­wards him was one of the re­asons why I knew I ought to get away be­fo­re it overw­hel­med me.
I withd­rew myself with a show of in­dig­na­ti­on.
"I think," I sa­id slowly, 'that I ought to go away . now . wit­ho­ut de­lay. "
He to­ok my hands and kis­sed them.
"No," he sa­id pas­si­ona­tely.
"No, Ka­te, ne­ver le­ave me."
I tri­ed to work up a fury aga­inst him.
"You know the po­si­ti­on I'm in he­re. I ha­ve now­he­re to go. I ha­ve a child who has to be ca­red for. I ha­ve to stay he­re ... aga­inst my will I ha­ve to stay. But I ha­ve no in­ten­ti­on of set­ting up as yo­ur mist­ress li­ke ... Ni­co­le .. "
My vo­ice sho­ok and I felt the te­ars rush to my eyes.
The men­ti­on of Ni­co­le's na­me so­be­red us both. He had be­en mo­re de­eply af­fec­ted by her de­ath than he had bet­ra­yed. I was won­de­ring now what her ad­vi­ce wo­uld be if she we­re ali­ve to gi­ve it.
I wal­ked away from him and went to the win­dow.
I sa­id: "I want to earn so­met­hing whi­le I am he­re. I don't want to li­ve on yo­ur bo­unty. I sho­uld ti­ke to pa­int aga­in. I was go­ing to ask if I might do a mi­ni­atu­re of Wil­li­am."
"William! Why wo­uld an­yo­ne want a mi­ni­atu­re of Wi­li­am?"
"If he had go­od pa­rents that wo­uld se­em a su­perf­lu­o­us qu­es­ti­on. Alas, po­or boy, he is sadly neg­lec­ted. I want to do so­met­hing. I want you to ask me to pa­int a mi­ni­atu­re of Wil­li­am."
"All right, " he sa­id. "Do it."
"I shall ha­ve to co­me to the cast­le. The light wo­uldn't be go­od eno­ugh he­re."
"Kate, you may co­me to the cast­le whe­ne­ver you wish to do so."
"Thank you, and I shall tell Wil­li­am that you want this port­ra­it of him."

LOVER "I?"

"Yes, you. That will ple­ase him so much. And per­haps when it is be­ing do­ne, you will co­me to the stu­dio and disp­lay a lit­tle in­te­rest in what is go­ing on."
"I'm al­ways in­te­res­ted in yo­ur work."
"Please show a lit­tle in­te­rest in Wil­li­am."
"For you ... anyt­hing," he sa­id.
William was de­ligh­ted when I told him I was to pa­int his port­ra­it.
"Will it be a lit­tle one?" he as­ked.
"And will Ken­dal ha­ve one too?"
"Perhaps. Ken­dal has many. I used to pa­int him when we we­re in Pa­ris."
"Show me."
"I can't. When we left Pa­ris we had to le­ave everyt­hing be­hind. Now we shall ha­ve to see if we can find the ne­ces­sary pa­ints to ma­ke yo­ur port­ra­it."
Rollo was help­ful. He knew of an ar­tist who li­ved a few mi­les away and he tho­ught it was pos­sib­le that he might be ab­le to supply the pa­ints we ne­eded, alt­ho­ugh it was do­ubt­ful that he wo­uld ha­ve the ivory I sho­uld ne­ed for the sup­port. I sig­hed to think of all we had left be­hind in Pa­ris.
Rollo went to see the ar­tist and bro­ught back pa­ints and vel­lum as the­re was no ivory ava­ilab­le.
"I can use vel­lum," I sa­id.
"After all, it was used in the six­te­enth cen­tury and was the fo­un­da­ti­on of many mi­ni­atu­re mas­ter­pi­eces."
The boys we­re with me in that ro­om in the cast­le whe­re I had first pa­in­ted Rol­lo. They watc­hed me stretch the vel­lum over a stiff whi­te card glu­e­ing it whe­re it over­lap­ped and then pres­sing it bet­we­en she­ets of pa­per.
William was par­ti­cu­larly ex­ci­ted. It was won­der­ful to see that lo­ok of ha­un­ted de­fi­an­ce le­aving his fa­ce.

I I

I tho­ught: I will ma­ke an in­te­res­ting port­ra­it of him. I will show him and ever­yo­ne el­se how he can lo­ok if he is happy.
I felt ali­ve aga­in. It was won­der­ful to be wor­king. I co­uld shut out all my prob­lems as I did in the old days. I wo­uld sit chat­ting to Wil­li­am, and Ken­dal was the­re too. He was sketc­hing Wil­li­am and, sit­ting the­re, with all at­ten­ti­on fo­cu­sed on him, Wil­li­am se­emed to grow in sta­tu­re. It was the first ti­me in his li­fe that he had felt he was im­por­tant to so­me­one.
I wo­uld work slowly on the port­ra­it, I de­ci­ded. Af­ter all, I was not only ma­king a pic­tu­re, I was hel­ping to adj­ust the mind of a lit­tle boy who had be­en very un­fa­irly tre­ated.
The boys to­ok les­sons in the af­ter­no­ons as I li­ked to pa­int in the mor­nings, and whi­le they we­re with je­an­ne I to­ok the op­por­tu­nity to walk or ri­de. I li­ked best to ri­de. When wal­king, it was dif­fi­cult to ge­fo­ut of sight of the cast­le. One had to go a very long way to lo­se it, for it se­emed to do­mi­na­te the lands­ca­pe.
There we­re plenty of hor­ses at the cast­le and I had the pick of se­ve­ral mo­unts, but the­re was a lit­tle bay ma­re of which I was par­ti­cu­larly fond. She was a lit­tle frisky but res­pon­ded to firm tre­at­ment, and I think she li­ked me to ri­de her.
One af­ter­no­on I went to the stab­les and Ma­rie Cla­ude was the­re. A hor­se was be­ing sad­dled for her- one which, I knew, had a re­pu­ta­ti­on for be­ing qu­i­et and do­ci­le.
"Good af­ter­no­on," she sa­id.
"Are you go­ing to ri­de?"
I sa­id that I was.
"Then we shall go to­get­her?"
I sa­id that wo­uld be very ple­asant and we ro­de out un­der the port­cul­lis and down the slo­pe, chat­ting as we went.
"I didn't re­ali­ze that you we­re a hor­se­wo­man, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son," she sa­id.
"I ri­de in Eng­land."
"Of co­ur­se the­re wasn't the op­por­tu­nity in Pa­ris. How glad you must be to ha­ve es­ca­ped from all that."
"It was a gre­at ex­pe­ri­en­ce to ha­ve li­ved thro­ugh, but one ne­ver wants to ha­ve to do it aga­in."
"There must be lots of pe­op­le in Pa­ris who fe­el li­ke that. But... how I miss Pa­ris! The old Pa­ris, that is. I think I shall ne­ver be happy away from it."
"Alas, you wo­uld find it sadly chan­ged."
"I know. Tho­se stu­pid pe­op­le and the­ir wars!"
We ro­de in si­len­ce for a whi­le. She to­ok the le­ad and I fol­lo­wed.
"I ne­ver ri­de far," she cal­led over her sho­ul­der.
"I get so ti­red. I li­ke to go to my fa­vo­uri­te spot and lo­ok at the vi­ew."
"Are we go­ing the­re now?"
"Yes. I tho­ught we'd tie up the hor­ses and ... talk. It's im­pos­sib­le to hold a re­aso­nab­le con­ver­sa­ti­on on hor­se­back."
I ag­re­ed and we fell on­ce mo­re in­to si­len­ce.
I lo­oked back. I co­uld not now see the cast­le. She no­ti­ced me and gu­es­sed what I was thin­king.
"That's one of the re­asons why it is my fa­vo­uri­te spot. From it, it is im­pos­sib­le to see the cast­le."
We skir­ted so­me wo­ods. The co­untry­si­de had be­co­me mo­re hilly now. I ca­ught a glimp­se of the ri­ver run­ning be­low us; it glin­ted sil­ver in the sun­light.
"It's pretty he­re," she sa­id.
"I li­ke to sit right on the crest of the hill. The­re are bus­hes up the­re and so­me of them grow qu­ite high ... high eno­ugh to gi­ve a lit­tle shel­ter from the wind when it blows. I sit up the­re and lo­ok out. You can see for mi­les."
We re­ac­hed the top of the hill.
"We'll tie our hor­ses the­re. Isn't it stran­ge that we sho­uld ha­ve co­me to­get­her aga­in."
We tet­he­red the hor­ses and wal­ked a lit­tle way.
"Sit he­re," she sa­id and we sat down in the pro­tec­ti­on of the bus­hes.
"I ne­ver tho­ught I sho­uld see you aga­in," she went on, 'unless it was at so­me gat­he­ring. That was when I tho­ught you we­re go­ing to marry Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer. Then it wo­uld ha­ve be­en qu­ite re­aso­nab­le for us to me­et. "
"Strange things hap­pen in li­fe," I com­men­ted.
"Very stran­ge." She tur­ned to lo­ok at me.
"I'll con­fess to be­ing very cu­ri­o­us abo­ut you, Ka­te. I may call you Ka­te? I did be­fo­re, didn't I?
Will you call me Ma­rie Cla­ude
"If you wish."
"I do," she rep­li­ed with a to­uch of the im­pe­ri­o­us man­ner I re­mem­be­red from the past.
She went on: "I ad­mi­re you very much. I wish that I had had yo­ur co­ura­ge. You ha­ve a child but you did not marry its fat­her. How wi­se you we­re! If I had not be­en mar­ri­ed how much hap­pi­er I sho­uld ha­ve be­en! But I sup­po­se it was easi­er for you than it wo­uld ha­ve be­en for me."
"Yes," I sa­id.
"I didn't re­al­ly lo­ve Ar­mand L'Estran­ge. Per­haps if I had I sho­uld ha­ve de­fi­ed ever­yo­ne and mar­ri­ed him. I was al­ways ter­ri­fi­ed of Rol­lo in fact I co­uld ne­ver be anyt­hing el­se. He is a ruth­less man, Ka­te.
Only tho­se who ha­ve li­ved ne­ar him know how ruth­less."
"I think I ha­ve gat­he­red that."
"The mar­ri­age was ar­ran­ged, as you know, and I was angry. I didn't want to marry him. You know that. You we­re the­re be­fo­re I did. You wo­uldn't want to marry so­me­one who ter­ri­fi­ed you, wo­uld you?"
"Indeed not," I sa­id.
"And then the­re was Ar­mand. He was so char­ming... so dif­fe­rent. He was gal­lant and ma­de me fe­el that the­re was so­met­hing very spe­ci­al abo­ut me. I just wan­ted to be lo­ved. You know abo­ut us. You we­re at the fe­te cham­pet­re and then the­re we­re the no­tes you to­ok. Do you re­mem­ber the ti­me Rol­lo tri­ed to get hold of the no­tes which you col­lec­ted for me at the mo­dis­te's? That mat­ter of the ta­xi..."
"I re­mem­ber it well."
R
"He must ha­ve sus­pec­ted then, I was so frigh­te­ned. If that had hap­pe­ned be­fo­re ... I don't think I sho­uld ha­ve star­ted with Ar­mand."
I sat sta­ring ahe­ad thin­king of that ter­rif­ying ri­de ac­ross Pa­ris in the cab.
"You see he sus­pec­ted me ... even then."
I he­si­ta­ted, but I co­uld not tell her that it was for a dif­fe­rent re­ason that I had be­en ne­arly ab­duc­ted.
"And yet," she went on, 'he pre­ten­ded to be surp­ri­sed. I shall ne­ver for­get my wed­ding day . I me­an the hor­ror of it. I sup­po­se no­body ever for­gets a wed­ding day. but ot­her pe­op­le's wo­uld be re­mem­be­red dif­fe­rently. I don't know how I li­ved thro­ugh it. And he knew, of co­ur­se. I don't think he min­ded so much abo­ut that. It was when the child was to be born too so­on that he was mad with ra­ge. I tri­ed to get rid of it. It didn't work. Who wo­uld ha­ve tho­ught to lo­ok at Wil­li­am that he co­uld ha­ve be­en so obs­ti­na­te! Rol­lo had a way of fin­ding out things, then he ma­de me tell him . everyt­hing. He was to ha­ve a child which was not his! You can un­ders­tand how fu­ri­o­us he was.
"
Yes, I can," I sa­id.
"You think he had re­ason to be. But I didn't want to marry him in the first pla­ce. If I had se­en yo­ur examp­le then I might ha­ve sto­od out aga­inst him. I might ha­ve be­en free... as you we­re. Why didn't you marry Bert­rand? You we­re bet­rot­hed. You we­re in lo­ve. And the­re was to be a child and yet... you didn't marry him. That se­ems very stran­ge."
"I did what I felt was best."
"It was bra­ve of you. And you set up that stu­dio in Pa­ris and you didn't ca­re... And no­body se­emed to mind."
"I li­ved in a bo­he­mi­an so­ci­ety, and as I told you, con­ven­ti­ons are not con­si­de­red to be of such im­por­tan­ce the­re as they are in Co­urt circ­les."
"I wish I had li­ved in such a so­ci­ety. Not­hing was right for me. I was mar­ri­ed to a man I was af­ra­id of ... I was go­ing to ha­ve a child which was not his. So­me­ti­mes I wis­hed I co­uld just die and le­ave it to ot­her pe­op­le to sort out."
"You must ne­ver fe­el li­ke that."
"But I do... now and then. You see, the fact that I tri­ed to get rid of Wil­li­am did so­met­hing to me. It didn't stop his co­ming but ... the­re was so­me da­ma­ge. I can't ha­ve any mo­re child­ren. That's anot­her re­ason why Rol­lo ha­tes me."
"He can't ha­te you."
"Now you are tal­king as so many pe­op­le talk. Why can't he ha­te me, pray? Of co­ur­se he ha­tes an­yo­ne who stands in the way of what he wants. He wo­uld li­ke to get rid of me and marry so­me­one who co­uld gi­ve him child­ren ... sons just li­ke him­self."
"We all ha­ve to adj­ust our­sel­ves to li­fe. Even he has to do that."
"Sometimes it do­esn't se­em worth the ef­fort. Ima­gi­ne how it was. I was go­ing to ha­ve the child who was go­ing to ap­pe­ar too so­on. I was sick and wretc­hed ... des­pe­ra­tely frigh­te­ned of child­birth and even mo­re frigh­te­ned of him. I used to co­me up he­re and sit down and think.
I'd lo­ok over the­re. That's whe­re Pa­ris is ... In that di­rec­ti­on ... if only the­re wasn't so much in bet­we­en. I lon­ged to be back the­re.
Sometimes I tho­ught of clim­bing a lit­tle hig­her to the Pe­ak. That's a spot whe­re the land stops sud­denly and the­re is a big drop down.
Someone fell over not long ago. It was in the mist. It was a far­mer who had lost his way and co­uldn't find his be­arings. He step­ped out . in­to not­hing. I'll show you be­fo­re we le­ave. It's just up the­re. I used to think how easy it wo­uld be to ta­ke that step. That wo­uld end it. No one co­uld bla­me me for anyt­hing then. And how ple­ased Rol­lo wo­uld be. He co­uld wi­pe me out of his li­fe and start aga­in. "
"How un­hap­py you must ha­ve be­en!"
"More frigh­te­ned than anyt­hing el­se. Be­li­eve me, at one ti­me I tho­ught it wo­uld be easi­er to do that than to go on."
"Poor Ma­rie-Cla­ude, how you must ha­ve suf­fe­red!"
"He must ha­ve sus­pec­ted then, I was so frigh­te­ned. If that had hap­pe­ned be­fo­re ... I don't think I sho­uld ha­ve star­ted wit­hAr­mand."
I sat sta­ring ahe­ad thin­king of that ter­rif­ying ri­de ac­ross Pa­ris in the cab.
"You see he sus­pec­ted me ... even then."
I he­si­ta­ted, but I co­uld not tell her that it was for a dif­fe­rent re­ason that I had be­en ne­arly ab­duc­ted.
"And yet," she went on, 'he pre­ten­ded to be surp­ri­sed. I shall ne­ver for­get my wed­ding day . I me­an the hor­ror of it. I sup­po­se no­body ever for­gets a wed­ding day. but ot­her pe­op­le's wo­uld be re­mem­be­red dif­fe­rently. I don't know how I li­ved thro­ugh it. And he knew, of co­ur­se. I don't think he min­ded so much abo­ut that. It was when the child was to be born too so­on that he was mad with ra­ge. I tri­ed to get rid of it. It didn't work. Who wo­uld ha­ve tho­ught to lo­ok at Wil­li­am that he co­uld ha­ve be­en so obs­ti­na­te! Rol­lo had a way of fin­ding out things, then he ma­de me tell him . everyt­hing. He was to ha­ve a child which was not his! You can un­ders­tand how fu­ri­o­us he was.
"
"Yes, I can," I sa­id.
"You think he had re­ason to be. But I didn't want to marry him in the first pla­ce. If I had se­en yo­ur examp­le then I might ha­ve sto­od out aga­inst him. I might ha­ve be­en free... as you we­re. Why didn't you marry Bert­rand? You we­re bet­rot­hed. You we­re in lo­ve. And the­re was to be a child and yet... you didn't marry him. That se­ems very stran­ge."
"I did what I felt was best."
"It was bra­ve of you. And you set up that stu­dio in Pa­ris and you didn't ca­re... And no­body se­emed to mind."
"I li­ved in a bo­he­mi­an so­ci­ety, and as I told you, con­ven­ti­ons are not con­si­de­red to be of such im­por­tan­ce the­re as they are in Co­urt circ­les."
"I wish I had li­ved in such a so­ci­ety. Not­hing was right for me. I was mar­ri­ed to a man I was af­ra­id of.-.I was go­ing to ha­ve a child which was not his. So­me­ti­mes I wis­hed I co­uld just die and le­ave it to ot­her pe­op­le to sort out."
"You must ne­ver fe­el li­ke that."
"But I do... now and then. You see, the fact that I tri­ed to get rid of Wil­li­am did so­met­hing to me. It didn't stop his co­ming but ... the­re was so­me da­ma­ge. I can't ha­ve any mo­re child­ren. That's anot­her re­ason why Rol­lo ha­tes me."
"He can't ha­te you."
"Now you are tal­king as so many pe­op­le talk. Why can't he ha­te me, pray? Of co­ur­se he ha­tes an­yo­ne who stands in the way of what he wants. He wo­uld li­ke to get rid of me and marry so­me­one who co­uld gi­ve him child­ren ... sons just li­ke him­self."
"We all ha­ve to adj­ust our­sel­ves to li­fe. Even he has to do that."
"Sometimes it do­esn't se­em worth the ef­fort. Ima­gi­ne how it was. I was go­ing to ha­ve the child who was go­ing to ap­pe­ar too so­on. I was sick and wretc­hed ... des­pe­ra­tely frigh­te­ned of child­birth and even mo­re frigh­te­ned of him. I used to co­me up he­re and sit down and think.
I'd lo­ok over the­re. That's whe­re Pa­ris is ... In that di­rec­ti­on ... if only the­re wasn't so much in bet­we­en. I lon­ged to be back the­re.
Sometimes I tho­ught of clim­bing a lit­tle hig­her to the Pe­ak. That's a spot whe­re the land stops sud­denly and the­re is a big drop down.
Someone fell over not long ago. It was in the mist. It was a far­mer who had lost his way and co­uldn't find his be­arings. He step­ped out . in­to not­hing. I'll show you be­fo­re we le­ave. It's just up the­re. I used to think how easy it wo­uld be to ta­ke that step. That wo­uld end it. No one co­uld bla­me me for anyt­hing then. And how ple­ased Rol­lo wo­uld be. He co­uld wi­pe me out of his li­fe and start aga­in. "
"How un­hap­py you must ha­ve be­en!"
"More frigh­te­ned than anyt­hing el­se. Be­li­eve me, at one ti­me I tho­ught it wo­uld be easi­er to do that than to go on."
"Poor Ma­rie-Cla­ude, how you must ha­ve suf­fe­red!"
"Even now ... so­me­ti­mes I think, is it worth whi­le go­ing on?"
"You ha­ve yo­ur lit­tle boy."
"William! He's the ca­use of all the tro­ub­le. But for him I sho­uld pro­bably ha­ve had mo­re child­ren. I might ha­ve grown less sca­red of Rol­lo. Who knows, I might ha­ve be­en ab­le to gi­ve him what he wan­ted."
I was fe­eling va­gu­ely ap­pre­hen­si­ve. I gu­es­sed that la­ter she might reg­ret ha­ving told me so much. She tur­ned to me im­pul­si­vely.
"Mine is such a wretc­hed story. Don't let's talk of it any mo­re. How dif­fe­rent it must ha­ve be­en for you. Tell me abo­ut it." "You know a gre­at de­al of it. I had my child and I set up in a sa­lon and pa­in­ted.
Clients ca­me to me, and it was all go­ing very well un­til the war ca­me."
"The war!" She mu­sed.
"It se­emed rat­her re­mo­te to us he­re in the cha­te­au. Isn't it stran­ge that Rol­lo sho­uld be ab­le to ke­ep him­self alo­of from it? It is al­most as tho­ugh he had ma­gi­cal po­wers. So­me­ti­mes I think he is mo­re than a man ... a de­mon per­haps. So­me­one who has co­me on earth from so­me ot­her pla­ce. Do you un­ders­tand what I me­an?"
"Yes," I ad­mit­ted.
"I tho­ught you did. He's al­ways be­en aga­inst this war. He sa­id it was folly and the Em­pe­ror was a fo­ol. He thinks of him­self af­ter all the­se cen­tu­ri­es as a Nor­man. He's po­wer­ful ... mo­re po­wer­ful than any one man sho­uld be. He owns a gre­at de­al of pro­perty ... not only he­re but in Eng­land and Italy. It is be­ca­use he is so rich and po­wer­ful that my fa­mily wan­ted the mar­ri­age, and it was be­ca­use of my des­cent from the Ro­yal Ho­uses of Fran­ce and Aust­ria that he wan­ted me. How can pe­op­le ex­pect a go­od mar­ri­age to be ba­sed on such re­asons? You are very for­tu­na­te, Ka­te."
"I know I am for­tu­na­te in so­me ways."
"Your lit­tle boy is be­a­uti­ful."
"I think so. And so is yo­urs."
She shrug­ged her sho­ul­ders.
"Rollo se­ems to li­ke yo­ur son." She lo­oked si­de­ways at me and I felt the co­lo­ur be­gin to ri­se from my neck to my fo­re­he­ad.
"He is ge­ne­ral­ly po­pu­lar," I sa­id, trying to spe­ak lightly.
"He was pa­le and thin when he ar­ri­ved with you and Rol­lo and je­an­ne "Who wo­uldn't ha­ve be­en af­ter that or­de­al."
"Yes, you we­re all sho­wing signs of what you had be­en thro­ugh. But you ha­ve re­co­ve­red won­der­ful­ly now."
"That's so­met­hing I'm thank­ful for."
"Rollo has ne­ver ta­ken the le­ast in­te­rest in any child be­fo­re. It is re­mar­kab­le how much at­ten­ti­on he bes­tows on yo­urs. I ne­ver qu­ite un­ders­to­od how Rol­lo ca­me to be the­re at the pre­ci­se mo­ment when all that ma­sonry was abo­ut to fall on yo­ur child."
"You wo­uld ha­ve had to be in Pa­ris to un­ders­tand how things hap­pen."
"I know pe­op­le di­ed. What I me­ant was that it was an odd co­in­ci­den­ce that he hap­pe­ned to be the­re at the pre­ci­se mo­ment."
I shrug­ged my sho­ul­ders.
"He sa­ved the boy's li­fe," I sa­id.
"There is no do­ubt of that."
"Do you think that co­uld be the re­ason why he is so fond of him?"
"I think one wo­uld be rat­her fond of so­me­one who­se li­fe one had sa­ved.
It's get­ting chilly," I went on.
"Do you think we ought to sit he­re?" ' I hel­ped her up.
"It was such an in­te­res­ting talk," she sa­id, 'that I for­got I was cold.
Before you go I want to show you my spot. The Pe­ak, re­mem­ber. "
"Oh yes. It's not far from he­re, you say."
"Just over the­re. Co­me on." She to­ok my arm. She se­emed a lit­tle bre­ath­less.
We wal­ked ac­ross the grass and the­re it was be­fo­re us a won­der­ful pa­no­ra­ma of lit­tle hills and wo­ods far away to the ho­ri­zon.
She po­in­ted.
"Over the­re wo­uld be Pa­ris... if it we­re ne­ar eno­ugh for you to see."
I lo­oked down at the ri­ver be­low. I co­uld see rocks and bo­ul­ders prot­ru­ding from the wa­ter and yel­low colts­fo­ot gro­wing on the bank.
"Are you sca­red of he­ights, Ka­te?" she as­ked.
"No."
"Then why do you hang back?" She had re­le­ased my arm and step­ped ne­arer to the brink.
"Come on," she com­man­ded, and I ap­pro­ac­hed the ed­ge.
"Look down," she sa­id.
I did so. My first tho­ught was that if she had thrown her­self over as she had con­temp­la­ted do­ing, she wo­uld ha­ve had lit­tle chan­ce of sur­vi­val.
She was clo­se to me . stan­ding be­hind me now. She whis­pe­red:
"Imagine fal­ling ... fal­ling ... You wo­uldn't know much abo­ut it, just that qu­ick gasp ... a sort of wild thrill and then down... down . You'd be de­ad in a mat­ter of se­conds."
I was se­ized with sud­den fe­ar. Why had she bro­ught me he­re? Why had she tal­ked or she had? What was she impl­ying?
She knows that Ken­dal is Rol­lo's son, I tho­ught. She must be­li­eve that we we­re lo­vers in Pa­ris and per­haps still are.
She ha­ted him. But wo­uld that pre­vent her re­sen­ting the fact that he might lo­ve me? That he ma­de it so cle­ar that he lo­ved my child?
I had al­ways known that the Prin­ces­se Ma­rie-Cla­ude was im­pul­si­ve, inc­li­ned to be hyste­ri­cal. I was su­re that the or­de­al of mar­ri­age to Rol­lo when she was to be­ar anot­her man's child had be­en too much for her. Had it un­ba­lan­ced her mind?
In tho­se next se­conds I was su­re that she had bro­ught me he­re for a pur­po­se and that pur­po­se might well be re­ven­ge.
Revenge on me? Mo­re li­kely on him. If she tho­ught he lo­ved me, how co­uld she hurt him mo­re than by dest­ro­ying me.
It wo­uld be so easy. An ac­ci­dent, they wo­uld say. The gro­und crumb­led.
She slip­ped. She went too ne­ar the ed­ge.
I felt su­re that she was abo­ut to push me over the ed­ge . in­to ob­li­vi­on.
I tur­ned sharply and step­ped away from the ed­ge.
She was lo­oking at me enig­ma­ti­cal­ly, al­most re­sig­nedly, I tho­ught.
"You we­re stan­ding very ne­ar the ed­ge," she sa­id, as tho­ugh ad­mo­nis­hing me. She ga­ve a lit­tle la­ugh.
"For a few mo­ments you frigh­te­ned me. I had a vi­si­on of yo­ur fal­ling over. Let's get back to the hor­ses. I'm shi­ve­ring... with the cold.
This is not the ti­me of ye­ar to sit abo­ut chat­te­ring."
The Way Out I felt very sha­ken af­ter that ex­pe­ri­en­ce. I did con­vin­ce myself that I had ima­gi­ned I was in dan­ger, but I tri­ed to re­mem­ber in de­ta­il everyt­hing we had sa­id and what had ac­tu­al­ly hap­pe­ned whi­le we had sto­od the­re on the ed­ge of the Pe­ak. She had as­ked per­ti­nent qu­es­ti­ons abo­ut Ken­dal; but then I sup­po­sed ot­hers we­re as­king si­mi­lar qu­es­ti­ons.
It was true that Rol­lo did show gre­at in­te­rest in Ken­dal, whi­le at the sa­me ti­me he did not at­tempt to hi­de his in­dif­fe­ren­ce to the boy who was sup­po­sed to be his own.
I felt I was mo­ving to­wards a cli­max, and one part of me war­ned ur­gently that I ought to get away whi­le anot­her po­sed the con­ti­nu­al qu­es­ti­on of How and Whe­re?
The mi­ni­atu­re of Wil­li­am was prog­res­sing. Rol­lo used to co­me to the stu­dio as I had as­ked him to, and it was to­uc­hing to see Wil­li­am's de­light in ha­ving him the­re sho­wing such an in­te­rest in the port­ra­it.
He wo­uld lo­ok at Wil­li­am ki­tently and then com­ment on the mi­ni­atu­re.
"You've ca­ught the exp­res­si­on in his fa­ce," he wo­uld say. Or: "The co­lo­ur of his skin is not easy to get, I sho­uld ima­gi­ne."
William sat bas­king in the unu­su­al in­te­rest he was aro­using and whi­le I wor­ked I was ab­le to dis­miss all my fe­ars and be happy. It was won­der­ful. Ken­dal in­sis­ted on be­ing the­re. He was do­ing a port­ra­it of Wil­li­am too.
"I li­ke a big pic­tu­re," he sa­id; and in­de­ed, in spi­te of his im­ma­tu­rity, he was pro­du­cing so­met­hing which had a lo­ok of Wil­li­am So the­re we­re the fo­ur of us to­get­her, and as I pa­in­ted a se­re­nity crept over me and I wis­hed that we ne­ed ne­ver bre­ak away from tho­se ma­gi­cal mo­ments. Even the child­ren felt it, the de­ep con­tent­ment in that ro­om. Rol­lo se­emed to ha­ve for­got­ten his de­si­re and was re­ady to set­tle down in what I can only call an at­mosp­he­re of pe­ace.
It co­uld not last, of co­ur­se. So­on the mi­ni­atu­re wo­uld be fi­nis­hed.
But it had do­ne what I had wan­ted it to. It had gi­ven so­met­hing to Wil­li­am which he might ne­ver ha­ve had. The boy had chan­ged per­cep­tibly. Bet­we­en us, I tho­ught, Je­an­ne and I ha­ve gi­ven him con­fi­den­ce- with a lit­tle help from Ken­dal.
The news was bad. The­re we­re dis­sen­ting fac­ti­ons all over Fran­ce. The go­vern­ment was re­pub­li­can but the­re we­re strong par­ti­sans of mo­narchy in it. Figh­ting con­ti­nu­ed in stri­fe-torn Pa­ris and the ri­oting of tho­se who we­re mo­re con­cer­ned with ma­king tro­ub­le than set­ting the co­untry right was brin­ging comp­le­te di­sor­der to the ca­pi­tal.
What co­uld I do? Whe­re co­uld I go? I tho­ught aga­in of trying to get to Eng­land. I co­uld go to Col­li­son Ho­use and li­ve the­re with Cla­re. I had had no reply to my let­ter so I won­de­red if it had re­ac­hed her. I was su­re that she wo­uld gi­ve me a warm wel­co­me.
When I sug­ges­ted to Ken­dal that we might le­ave the cast­le he was over­co­me with hor­ror. He lo­ved the cast­le. He had be­en ext­re­mely happy ever sin­ce he had co­me.
"Don't let's go, Ma­man," he sa­id.
"Let's stay he­re. What wo­uld the Ba­ron do if we went?"
I did not ans­wer. The qu­es­ti­on in my mind for a long ti­me had be­en:
What will the Ba­ron do if we stay?
The pic­tu­re of Wil­li­am was fi­nis­hed and the Prin­ces­se ad­mi­red it.
"Your work is so go­od," she sa­id.
"I of­ten lo­ok at tho­se you did of the Ba­ron and me. The one of him is par­ti­cu­larly in­te­res­ting."
"Do you think so?" I as­ked.

C.

L.

- L "Oh yes. You se­em to ha­ve se­en so­met­hing in him when we didn't... un­til you po­in­ted it out."
"I'm glad you think so."
"There is an exp­res­si­on in his eyes which is al­most be­nign."
"We all ha­ve many si­des to our cha­rac­ters," I re­min­ded her.
"And it ta­kes cer­ta­in pe­op­le to bring them out," she ag­re­ed.
"Why, you ha­ve ma­de Wil­li­am lo­ok qu­ite an at­trac­ti­ve child."
"He is an at­trac­ti­ve child."
"He is bet­ter sin­ce you ca­me. So­me­ti­mes, Ka­te, I think you ha­ve an ef­fect on us all. You are not a witch or so­met­hing, are you?"
"No in­de­ed. Only a pa­in­ter."
"A very go­od pa­in­ter. You must ag­ree to that?"
"If I didn't think so, how co­uld I con­vin­ce ot­her pe­op­le that I was?"
"You are very wi­se, Ka­te. I am su­re Rol­lo thinks so."
I tur­ned away. I was al­ways un­com­for­tab­le when she tal­ked of him. I re­mem­be­red that misc­hi­evo­us stre­ak from the past which I had dis­co­ve­red when she ca­me to my ro­om dres­sed as a ma­id. That spi­rit of misc­hi­ef still lin­ge­red. Was she trying to tell me that she knew her hus­band had be­en my lo­ver still was and that this child who was be­gin­ning to lo­ok too li­ke him for the re­semb­lan­ce to be co­in­ci­den­tal was his?
They we­re une­asy days.
I must go. I must. And the ans­wer was al­ways the sa­me:
Where? How? And Ken­dal must not be put at risk.
Because he un­ders­to­od my fe­elings so well Rol­lo fo­und work for me to do. He had be­en se­arc­hing thro­ugh the cast­le lib­rary, he told me, and he had fo­und so­me old ma­nusc­ripts which we­re in ne­ed of res­to­ra­ti­on.
He wo­uld show them to me if I co­uld co­me to the cast­le the fol­lo­wing af­ter­no­on whi­le the boys we­re at the­ir les­sons.
I did won­der whet­her the­re we­re, in fact, any ma­nusc­ripts or whet­her he just wan­ted to talk to me. I fo­und him in the lib­rary. It was an imp­res­si­ve ro­om li­ned with bo­oks­hel­ves, as I had ima­gi­ned it wo­uld be, of co­ur­se, but the bo­oks we­re on va­ri­o­us su­bj­ects and most of them be­a­uti­ful­ly bo­und.
"This is my sanc­tum," he sa­id.
"Do you li­ke it?"
I sa­id it was de­light­ful and imp­res­si­ve at the sa­me ti­me.
He to­ok my hand and pres­sed it to his lips.
"We go on in the sa­me old way, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"Don't you want to chan­ge it?"
"Yes. I want to go from he­re re­al­ly be­ca­use that is what I fe­el I sho­uld do."
"We want to chan­ge it for the bet­ter," he sa­id ter­sely, 'not for the wor­se. "
"Have you bro­ught me he­re to show me old ma­nusc­ripts, or to talk of im­pos­si­bi­li­ti­es?"
"To talk pos­si­bi­li­ti­es and to lo­ok at ma­nusc­ripts. But first let us talk. How long will it be be­fo­re you re­ali­ze that we can't go on li­ke this?"
"We can," I cont­ra­dic­ted, 'until I can get away. If it we­re not for Ken­dal, I wo­uld risk trying to get to Eng­land. I am be­gin­ning to think that that is what I must do. I ha­ve tal­ked abo­ut it to Ken­dal. "
"What do­es he say?"
"He do­esn't want to le­ave, of co­ur­se."
A slow smi­le spre­ad ac­ross his fa­ce.
"He is such a wi­se boy," he sa­id.
"You ha­ve char­med him with yo­ur at­ten­ti­ons."
"Naturally my own son li­kes me."
"You ha­ve not ma­de yo­ur­self so char­ming to po­or lit­tle Wil­li­am."
"I sa­id my own son, I can't ac­co­unt for bas­tards;' " You are a cru­el, hard man. "
"Not to you, Ka­te ... ne­ver to you."
"Once ..." I be­gan.
"That was ne­ces­sary arid it was the be­gin­ning of lo­ve, wasn't it?"
"No, pu­re lust for re­veng^' Oh, that ..."
"Which fa­iled."
"It was highly suc­ces­sful be­ca­use it sho­wed me that the­re was one wo­man in the world who co­uld sa­tisfy me."
"You! Everyt­hing co­mes back to you. Ple­ase show me the ma­nusc­ripts."
"In due co­ur­se. First we talk. I'm ti­red of this ... sub­ter­fu­ge."
"There is no sub­ter­fu­ge C'n my part."
"When you pre­tend that tyson is not my son!"
"How co­uld I do ot­her­wi­se! I ha­ve an idea that yo­ur wi­fe al­re­ady sus­pects."
"What do­es she sus­pect?"
"That Ken­dal is yo­ur so­il-' " Then she is cor­rect in that. "
"That I am yo­ur ..."
"Mistress?" he sa­id.
"Well, let us ho­pe that she will so­on be cor­rect in that too."
"Please do not talk in that way."
"But if the first of her sus­pi­ci­ons is true, then the se­cond must be."
"I don't ag­ree."
"Oh, Ka­te, let us ma­ke it so. It is a pity to che­at pe­op­le of the­ir as­sump­ti­ons."
"You ha­ven't chan­ged, ha­ve you? I be­li­eve that the Prin­ces­se ... re­sents my be­ing he­re-' " She has sa­id she is de­ligh­ted that you are he­re. The pic­tu­re ot­her son gi­ves her a gre­at de­al of ple­asu­re. She says the boy is bet­ter sin­ce you ha­ve be­en he­re. He li­kes pla­ying with our boy and he is lo­sing that hang-dog lo­ok of his. When he was ha­ving his port­ra­it pa­in­ted I al­most li­ked him. "
I sa­id: "Even if it we­re pos­sib­le, a wo­man wo­uld ha­ve to think very hard be­fo­re thro­wing in her lot with a man li­ke you."
"Now, Ka­te, be ho­nest. Do you think I don't know yo­ur fe­elings to­wards me? Yo­ur lips tell li­es when they spe­ak, but so­me­ti­mes they are mo­re ho­nest. Co­uld you let them spe­ak the truth re­gar­ding me ... for on­ce?"
"I ho­pe I al­ways spe­ak the truth."
"Not on one all-impor­tant mat­ter, and that is yo­ur fe­elings for me."
"I pre­fer not to dis­cuss the su­bj­ect. I ha­ve in any ca­se told you many ti­mes how I fe­el abo­ut yo­ur ac­ti­ons and it is not re­al­ly very comp­li­men­tary."
"That's why I say yo­ur lips lie. Think back, Ka­te, to everyt­hing that has hap­pe­ned to us. You know that you lo­ve me. You can't le­ave me.
You're trying all the ti­me to get back to that ro­om in the to­wer. It's not very far from he­re, you know. It's un­dis­tur­bed by the war. We co­uld go the­re. We co­uld re­cap­tu­re that night. "
I fa­ced him ang­rily. I tho­ught: It is lust, pu­re lust that he fe­els for me. He wants me be­ca­use I don't want him. He hasn't chan­ged sin­ce that night and is as ca­pab­le of ra­pe now as he was then. Even his af­fec­ti­on for Ken­dal is not­hing mo­re than pri­de . pri­de of pos­ses­si­on.
My ins­tincts we­re war­ning me. I sho­uld be wary of him, wary of my own fe­elings for him. What it was I felt for him I was not su­re, but it was not lo­ve.
When I had se­en him crip­pled be­ca­use of what he had do­ne for Ken­dal, I think I had co­me ne­ar to lo­ving him. I had nur­sed him with ca­re and ten­der­ness, and per­haps be­ca­use of the ter­rib­le dan­gers thro­ugh which we had li­ved, my fe­elings to­wards him had chan­ged. Now he was in his own do­ma­in; he had co­me thro­ugh the si­ege of Pa­ris, tho­ugh not en­ti­rely uns­cat­hed; he suf­fe­red cer­ta­in pa­in from his leg, I knew; he wo­uld ne­ver walk as he had be­fo­re; but all that did not stop him from do­ing everyt­hing that he wan­ted to. He­re, in the backg­ro­und of his Nor­man cast­le, he was the bar­ba­ri­an aga­in, the strong ruth­less man who, when he felt a wish, let not­hing stand in the way of its gra­ti­fi­ca­ti­on.
I sa­id to him: "Ple­ase un­ders­tand that I ca­me to see the ma­nusc­ripts.
If you are not go­ing to show them to me, I shall go. "
"My de­ar ve­he­ment Ka­te, of co­ur­se I am go­ing to show you the ma­nusc­ripts. Then you won't ha­ve to ans­wer my qu­es­ti­ons truth­ful­ly, will you? You sho­uld ne­ver be af­ra­id to fa­ce the truth, you know."
"It is you who will not fa­ce the truth."
"But I do. I ag­ree with yo­ur opi­ni­on of me. But you won't fa­ce what it re­al­ly is. Do you think I don't know that if I to­ok you now ... as I did that night... you wo­uld not in­wardly re­j­o­ice? But I want it to be dif­fe­rent now. I want you to co­me to me wil­lingly. That's what I've set my he­art on. I've be­co­me sen­ti­men­tal. What I want most of all is to marry you."
"It is easy to ma­ke such a pro­po­sal," I re­min­ded him, 'when you know it is im­pos­sib­le to carry it out. "
"It won't al­ways be im­pos­sib­le."
"Why don't_›ioa fa­ce the truth? You are mar­ri­ed. Yo­urs is no or­di­nary mar­ri­age be­ca­use yo­ur wi­fe is a Prin­ces­se. You mar­ri­ed her for her ro­yal blo­od, re­mem­ber? But the child­ren did not co­me and the blue blo­od can't be used. That's not a go­od eno­ugh ex­cu­se for an­nul­ling a mar­ri­age, and she wo­uld ne­ver ag­ree to it. The­re­fo­re how can yo­ur pro­po­sal to anot­her wo­man be of any subs­tan­ce at all?"
I saw that cold lo­ok in his eyes which ma­de them lo­ok li­ke ice.
"You're wrong, Ka­te. You ac­cept de­fe­at too easily. I'll tell you this: one day it will co­me to pass. "
I was af­ra­id then . af­ra­id of him, as not long ago I had be­en af­ra­id of his wi­fe.
"Shall I see the ma­nusc­ripts?" I sa­id as co­ol­ly as I co­uld.
"But cer­ta­inly," he rep­li­ed.
We po­red over them to­get­her. They we­re fas­ci­na­ting. They had be­en in the cast­le for cen­tu­ri­es, and he be­li­eved they had be­en pre­sen­ted to the fa­mily by a monk who had gi­ven up his cal­ling and co­me out in­to the world. He had wor­ked at the cast­le and ma­de the ma­nusc­ripts whi­le he was the­re.
"Fifteenth cen­tury, wo­uld you say?" as­ked Rol­lo, "I think they might even be a lit­tle ear­li­er. Oh, it wo­uld be a won­der­ful job. My fat­her used to lo­ve this kind of work ..." I he­ard my vo­ice tremb­le a lit­tle as I men­ti­oned my fat­her, for I was thin­king of how he had fo­und this li­fe so unen­du­rab­le wit­ho­ut his sight that he had de­ci­ded to le­ave it.
Then my tho­ughts switc­hed to Ma­rie-Cla­ude who had at one ti­me had the sa­me idea. How cru­el li­fe co­uld be so­me­ti­mes!
Rollo was watc­hing me in­tently.
"You ha­ve such an exp­res­si­ve fa­ce," he sa­id.
"So many emo­ti­ons flit ac­ross it. You are sad now, thin­king of yo­ur fat­her. My de­ar Ka­te, it is yo­ur mo­uth rat­her than yo­ur eyes which bet­rays you to me. That is why I know that be­ne­ath that fa­ca­de of re­sent­ment which you show me, you lo­ve me ... you re­al­ly do."
I lo­oked down at the ma­nusc­ripts.
"It wo­uld be dif­fi­cult to get the pa­ints I sho­uld ne­ed to res­to­re them."
"We can try."
"It is al­ways dif­fi­cult at any ti­me. The­se pe­op­le mi­xed the­ir own co­lo­urs and no ar­tist used the sa­me."
"We can try to­get­her. We can go and vi­sit the ar­tist abo­ut whom I told you. He has li­ved ne­ar he­re sin­ce he was a yo­ung man. He is a go­od ar­tist. I fo­und him and bro­ught him he­re to work for me. He may well ha­ve so­me of the pa­ints you re­qu­ire. You will be oc­cu­pi­ed and if you are wor­king you will be con­tent and push asi­de this ri­di­cu­lo­us no­ti­on that you ought to be so­mew­he­re el­se."
Then he drew me to him and kis­sed me gently. I knew that he was right.
In spi­te of everyt­hing he was do­mi­na­ting my tho­ughts. If that was fal­ling in lo­ve, then that was what I was do­ing.
The we­eks we­re slip­ping past. I was ab­sor­bed by the work on the ma­nusc­ripts, so I was at the cast­le every mor­ning. Whi­le I was wor­king Ken­dal was ta­king les­sons with Wil­li­am and every day se­emed very li­ke anot­her. Spring had co­me. The­re was still tro­ub­le in Pa­ris, and I was no ne­arer re­tur­ning the­re than I had be­en when I first ar­ri­ved he­re.
It was easi­er to mo­ve abo­ut the co­untry now, tho­ugh, and with the co­ming of May what was known as the Tre­aty of Frank­furt was sig­ned.
There was pe­ace at last. The French grumb­led abo­ut the terms which had be­en im­po­sed on them, for they had to hand over Al­sa­ce and a gre­at part of Lor­ra­ine to the Ger­mans as well as pa­ying a hu­ge mo­ney in­dem­nity.
Soon, I tho­ught, I shall ha­ve to go to Pa­ris.
I won­de­red what had hap­pe­ned to the ho­use in which we had li­ved so long.
At the end of May, Rol­lo did go to Pa­ris to see what it was li­ke the­re now. Most eagerly did I awa­it his re­turn.
I had had se­ve­ral con­ver­sa­ti­ons with Ma­rie-Cla­ude over the we­eks, and she re­al­ly did se­em glad that we we­re the­re. I think we en­li­ve­ned the days to a cer­ta­in ex­tent. She watc­hed me, I knew; and I think it pro­bably ga­ve her an in­te­rest to spe­cu­la­te on the re­la­ti­ons­hip bet­we­en her hus­band and myself.
Sometimes I ca­ught a cer­ta­in sa­tis­fac­ti­on in her fa­ce, as tho­ugh it was amu­sing that I sho­uld be the­re and that the­re sho­uld be this frust­ra­ti­on bet­we­en Rol­lo and me.
I was su­re that she tho­ught we had be­en lo­vers at so­me ti­me even tho­ugh she might be a lit­tle un­cer­ta­in as to our re­la­ti­ons­hip now; in any ca­se she was int­ri­gu­ed, and her na­tu­re was such that she enj­oyed that.
She spent a gre­at de­al of ti­me in what she cal­led 're sting'.
She li­ked to think of her­self as a se­mi-inva­lid. I be­li­eved that we­ak­ness ad­ded an in­te­rest to her li­fe. I won­de­red, too, whet­her she used it to ke­ep Rol­lo away. Li­ke so many men of outs­tan­dingly go­od physi­cal he­alth, he wo­uld ha­ve lit­tle sympathy with il­lness. He had be­en im­pa­ti­ent of his own we­ak­ness, and alt­ho­ugh he had at one ti­me suf­fe­red gre­at pa­in, he had al­ways be­en re­luc­tant to ad­mit it.
His at­ti­tu­de to­wards Ma­rie-Cla­ude was one of dis­li­ke and con­tempt, and be­ing the man he was, he to­ok no gre­at pa­ins to hi­de it.
He ca­me back from Pa­ris with the dep­res­sing news that the city was not yet set­tling down, alt­ho­ugh it wo­uld do so in ti­me. The ho­use had be­en dest­ro­yed with everyt­hing in it. Ri­oters must ha­ve set fi­re to it.
"All part of the who­le stu­pid bu­si­ness," he sa­id ang­rily.
So I wo­uld ha­ve now­he­re to go in Pa­ris. Per­haps I sho­uld go back to Eng­land for a whi­le. I co­uld stay with Cla­re. I pre­su­med that my let­ter had not re­ac­hed her as I still had had no reply.
It was la­te af­ter­no­on of a lo­vely May day. The boys we­re pla­ying so­mew­he­re in the cast­le pre­cincts. I had be­en wor­king all the mor­ning and so­me of the af­ter­no­on on the ma­nusc­ripts, as it was such a go­od light. I was in a pe­ace­ful fra­me of mind as I of­ten was af­ter a day's work, fe­eling ple­asantly ti­red and im­men­sely sa­tis­fi­ed with the work I had do­ne. I had, that af­ter­no­on, tho­ught of a new way to get the Ve­ne­ti­an red and co­balt blue which I ne­eded. I was lo­oking for­ward to the next day when I sho­uld be ab­le to test my new met­hod.
I had go­ne out­si­de the Lo­ge for it was a lo­vely balmy day and I was sit­ting on the grass ne­ar the mo­at de­ep in tho­ught when I he­ard one of the ma­ids cal­ling my na­me.
I jum­ped up and went to her.
"Oh Ma­da­me Col­li­son, the­re is a lady co­me to the cast­le. She is as­king for you."
I tur­ned. Anot­her ma­id was co­ming to­wards me and with her a wo­man. I co­uld not be­li­eve my eyes.
"Kate!" she cri­ed.
I ran to her and we we­re in each ot­her's arms.
"Is it re­al­ly you, Cla­re?"
She nod­ded.
"No do­ubt of it. I had to see you. It's be­en so dif­fi­cult to get news. But yo­ur let­ter ca­me ... at last. it was a long ti­me get­ting to me, I co­uld see from the da­te ... But it told me whe­re to co­me, so I didn't trust anot­her let­ter. I ca­me."
We clung to­get­her aga­in, la­ug­hing, al­most crying.
The two ma­ids watc­hed us.
I sa­id: "It's all right. This is my step­mot­her."
The one who had bro­ught her set down her tra­vel­ling bag in­si­de her and they slip­ped away to­get­her.
"I got a lift from the sta­ti­on in a sort of fly," sa­id Cla­re.
"It was hard ma­king myself un­ders­to­od."
"Has it be­en a dif­fi­cult jo­ur­ney?"
We we­re ga­zing at each ot­her, tal­king tri­vi­ali­ti­es be­ca­use we we­re too mo­ved for anyt­hing el­se.
"Come in­to the Lo­ge," I sa­id.
"This is whe­re we li­ve ... tem­po­ra­rily."
"My de­ar Ka­te! Wha­te­ver has it be­en li­ke? I was so wor­ri­ed. I kept tel­ling myself that it was a go­od thing yo­ur fat­her had go­ne. He wo­uld ha­ve be­en half crazy with an­xi­ety."
"It has be­en a very dif­fi­cult ti­me, Cla­re." I to­ok her bag in my hand and ope­ned the do­or of the Lo­ge.
"You see," I sa­id, 'it is se­pa­ra­te from the cast­le, but part of it .
"
"And how long ha­ve you be­en he­re?"
"We ca­me di­rectly af­ter the si­ege of Pa­ris. We we­re lucky to get out..."
"Thank God you are sa­fe."
"Oh yes, we we­re for­tu­na­te. My po­or fri­end Ni­co­le St. Gi­les you met her-was kil­led du­ring the bom­bard­ment."
"How dre­ad­ful! And ... Ken­dal?"
"Kendal is all right. We suf­fe­red a gre­at de­al du­ring the si­ege, as you can ima­gi­ne. We al­most di­ed of star­va­ti­on."
"I tho­ught of you cons­tantly. I tri­ed to get in to­uch, but the­re was no way of get­ting com­mu­ni­ca­ti­ons ac­ross the Chan­nel."
"I know. It was to be ex­pec­ted with Fran­ce at war. But ne­ver mind that now. You're he­re, Gla­re, and I am so glad to see you. Are you hungry?
Can I get you so­me cof­fee. The boys are pla­ying to­get­her so­mew­he­re.
"
The boys? "
"Oh yes ... the son of the Ba­ron and the Prin­ces­se ... Wil­li­am. He and Ken­dal are go­od fri­ends."
"Is it all right for me to be he­re?"
"But, of co­ur­se. You can stay at the Lo­ge. The­re is plenty of ro­om."
"Are you wor­king he­re?"
"Yes. I am res­to­ring so­me ma­nusc­ripts and I ha­ve pa­in­ted a mi­ni­atu­re of Wil­li­am ... the boy I was tel­ling you abo­ut."
"The Ba­ron's son, you say. And he and Ken­dal get along well to­get­her?"
"Oh yes."
"Did you co­me stra­ight her from Pa­ris? This cha­te­au is the first pla­ce you ca­me to when you first ar­ri­ved in Fran­ce ... you and yo­ur fat­her?"
"Oh yes, we ca­me he­re. Af­ter the si­ege the Ba­ron bro­ught us back he­re."
"What was he do­ing in Pa­ris?"
"He was the­re on bu­si­ness. He sa­ved Ken­dal's li­fe. You've no idea what it was li­ke. You see, the Prus­si­ans we­re bom­bar­ding Pa­ris and Ken­dal wo­uld ha­ve be­en crus­hed to de­ath if the Ba­ron had not be­en the­re just at the right mo­ment to pro­tect him from the fal­ling ma­sonry. The Ba­ron was inj­ured and I lo­oked af­ter him , . and then as so­on as the si­ege was over we got out. The­re was now­he­re el­se for us to go but he­re. It is dif­fi­cult to exp­la­in ..."
"And you met him just by chan­ce in Pa­ris ... just at the mo­ment when Ken­dal was in dan­ger. How won­der­ful and how ex­ci­ting that he sho­uld hap­pen to ha­ve be­en the­re."
"It was a bles­sing that he was. We might ne­ver ha­ve go out of Pa­ris if he hadn't hel­ped us and bro­ught us he­re. The city got wor­se af­ter we left. The­re was figh­ting and ri­oting and set­ting fi­re to bu­il­dings.
The ho­use whe­re we we­re was dest­ro­yed by fi­re. "
"My po­or Ka­te! I've tho­ught of you so much. It's be­en so lo­nely. I pro­mi­sed myself that as so­on as it was pos­sib­le I wo­uld get to you. I re­ali­zed it was no use just wri­ting, and I can't tell you how won­der­ful it was to get yo­ur let­ter ... alt­ho­ugh I did re­ce­ive it long af­ter you had writ­ten in."
"Let me ma­ke that cof­fee," I sa­id, 'and then we can talk. "
We did. I fo­und it dif­fi­cult to exp­la­in what had hap­pe­ned and qu­ite cle­arly she con­ti­nu­ed to think that it was the od­dest co­in­ci­den­ce that the Ba­ron sho­uld ha­ve hap­pe­ned to be on the spot when Ken­dal was in dan­ger. I gu­es­sed how her mind was wor­king. My fat­her had sus­pec­ted that the Ba­ron was Ken­dal's fat­her and it may ha­ve be­en that he had dis­cus­sed this pos­si­bi­lity with Cla­re. Af­ter all, she had be­en his wi­fe.
I co­uld see that she re­al­ly be­li­eved the Ba­ron had be­en with me in Pa­ris and that she was ca­re­ful­ly wor­ding her qu­es­ti­ons to avo­id em­bar­ras­sment.
Then I wan­ted to he­ar what she had to tell me.
"A very dif­fe­rent story from yo­urs, Ka­te," she sa­id.
"I ha­ve be­en so lo­nely sin­ce yo­ur fat­her ... went. It was li­ke the end of everyt­hing. We we­re so fond of each ot­her, right from the first."
"I know. You we­re won­der­ful to him. He told me so. I am so glad you fo­und each ot­her. You we­re a gre­at com­fort to him."
"Not eno­ugh," she ans­we­red. Her lips tremb­led and the­re we­re te­ars in her eyes.
"I of­ten won­der if I did right. You see, I ought to ha­ve ma­de it so that he co­uld be happy ... even tho­ugh he was get­ting blin­der every day. But he co­uldn't fa­ce it, Ka­te. His eyes had me­ant so much to him, even mo­re than they do to most ot­her pe­op­le. He had al­ways lo­ved lo­oking at things and he saw' them so much mo­re cle­arly than most pe­op­le. You know what I me­an be­ca­use you are the sa­me. He just co­uld not fa­ce the fu­tu­re, Ka­te."
"No. The­re was not­hing you co­uld ha­ve do­ne mo­re than you did. I un­ders­tand how he felt. His work had be­en his li­fe. I shall ne­ver for­get his mi­sery when he first told me. Then af­ter a whi­le I tho­ught that even tho­ugh he co­uldn't do the clo­se work he'd be­en do­ing all his li­fe, he wo­uld be ab­le to pa­int... at le­ast for a whi­le."
"But he was lo­sing his sight comp­le­tely, Ka­te. In a few months he wo­uld ha­ve be­en to­tal­ly blind. Oh, I do ho­pe I did the right thing by him. I think of it of­ten. I tor­ment myself, Was the­re so­met­hing el­se I co­uld ha­ve do­ne ... or left un­do­ne?"
"You mustn't dist­ress yo­ur­self, Cla­re. You did everyt­hing for him. You ma­de him hap­pi­er than he co­uld pos­sibly ha­ve be­en wit­ho­ut you."
"I li­ke to think so. I wa­ke up in the night and tell myself that."
"Dear Cla­re, you mustn't bro­od on it. Re­mem­ber the happy ti­mes you sha­red with him. It must ha­ve co­me over him sud­denly ... li­ke a dark clo­ud. Oh, I can ima­gi­ne it. He co­uldn't sle­ep to­wards the end, co­uld he? That me­ant he was wor­ri­ed. Then I ima­gi­ne in a fit of dep­res­si­on he just to­ok the over­do­se ..."
"That was how it hap­pe­ned."
"You ha­ve to for­get, Cla­re."
She brigh­te­ned.
"I try to. I want to. Now I must tell you what has hap­pe­ned. He left everyt­hing to me, Ka­te, ex­cept the mi­ni­atu­res. Even the ho­use he left to me. He sa­id:
"Kate's all right. She'll be ab­le to lo­ok af­ter her­self. She won't want to co­me back to Eng­land." But the mi­ni­atu­res are yo­urs, Ka­te. I ha­ve had them put in­to the bank for sa­fety. I tho­ught they sho­uld be va­lu­ed too. They are worth a small for­tu­ne . even mo­re than yo­ur fat­her be­li­eved them to be worth. He tal­ked a gre­at de­al to me. He sa­id: "If ever she sho­uld hap­pen to fall on le­an ti­mes, she'll ha­ve the mi­ni­atu­res. She co­uld sell them singly, if ne­ces­sary, and li­ve for two or three ye­ars on the pri­ce she wo­uld get for one of them." He was a very prac­ti­cal man in so­me ways, when he was plan­ning for tho­se he lo­ved, for ins­tan­ce. You don't mind his le­aving the ho­use to me, I ho­pe? "
"My de­ar Cla­re, I'm glad he did."
"There wasn't a lot el­se. He had sa­ved a lit­tle, and you will know that he kept the fa­mily go­ing on what his work bro­ught in. He left that lit­tle bit to me with the ho­use. It is eno­ugh for me to li­ve on, simply, of co­ur­se."
"Then you are qu­ite com­for­tab­le?"
She nod­ded.
"I can ma­na­ge. But what I want to say is that Col­li­son Ho­use is yo­ur ho­me, Ka­te. I don't lo­ok on it as my ho­use. It was in yo­ur fa­mily for ye­ars. It's yo­urs, Ka­te, as well as mi­ne, and if at any ti­me you wan­ted to co­me the­re... Well, in short, it'll al­ways be yo­ur ho­me as well as mi­ne."
So we tal­ked, and in ti­me Ken­dal ca­me run­ning in. He was very in­te­res­ted to see that we had a cal­ler. I exp­la­ined who Cla­re was, for he had be­en too yo­ung to re­mem­ber when she ca­me to Pa­ris.
I was pro­ud be­ca­use I co­uld see that she tho­ught him a very fi­ne boy.
Jeanne re­tur­ned. She re­mem­be­red Cla­re and I exp­la­ined that she had co­me to stay with us for a whi­le. Je­an­ne was ple­ased to see her and Cla­re was very happy to get such a warm wel­co­me from ever­yo­ne.
Jeanne co­oked a me­al for us and we all sat ro­und the tab­le tal­king Ken­dal be­ing al­lo­wed to stay up as it was a spe­ci­al oc­ca­si­on.
There was an ext­ra bed­ro­om in the Lo­ge, so ac­com­mo­da­ting Cla­re was an easy mat­ter. Je­an­ne ma­de up the bed and when I to­ok Cla­re to her ro­om I kis­sed her ten­derly and told her how ple­ased I was that she had co­me.
I sa­id go­od­night and left her, but I lay awa­ke a long ti­me that night.
Clare's co­ming had ma­de me think of my fat­her and as I mo­ur­ned him af­resh I kept thin­king of what sta­te of mind he must ha­ve be­en in when he had de­ci­ded to ta­ke his li­fe.
Then a tho­ught struck me sud­denly.
Clare's co­ming had bro­ught my so­lu­ti­on. I co­uld le­ave Fran­ce with her.
I co­uld go back to Col­li­son Ho­use and ma­ke my li­fe the­re. And if I co­uld not at­tract rich sit­ters, I had a small for­tu­ne wa­iting for me in the mi­ni­atu­res. I knew the va­lue of them now. So­me of the six­te­enth-cen­tury ones mus^ in­di­vi­du­al­ly, be worth a gre­at de­al of mo­ney. "
Suppose I sold one . or even two . to gi­ve me eno­ugh mo­ney to set up a stu­dio in Lon­don. I did not want to sell any of them, of co­ur­se, but if it we­re ne­ces­sary I must do so.
It was a way out.
Until now I had be­li­eved the si­tu­ati­on was in­so­lub­le. It was no lon­ger so. I no lon­ger had the ex­cu­se to stay he­re for the sa­ke of Ken­dal be­ca­use we had now­he­re el­se to go.
We had. Cla­re's co­ming had ope­ned up a way out.
Clare's ar­ri­val ca­used qu­ite a flurry of ex­ci­te­ment at the cast­le.
When I went over the fol­lo­wing mor­ning to work on the ma­nusc­ripts, a mes­sa­ge from the Prin­ces­se awa­ited me. Wo­uld I go to her ro­om? She wis­hed to spe­ak to me.
She was lying in bed she ne­ver ro­se very early and was prop­ped up with pil­lows. A cup of cho­co­la­te was by her bed.
T he­ar you ha­ve a vi­si­tor from Eng­land," she sa­id.
"Yes, my step­mot­her."
"I did not know you had a step­mot­her. You didn't tell me when you ca­me to pa­int me."
I was surp­ri­sed that she sho­uld re­mem­ber so much abo­ut me.
"I did not ha­ve one at the ti­me," I exp­la­ined.
"She mar­ri­ed my fat­her af­ter­wards."
"She is ... not an old wo­man?"
"No, qu­ite yo­ung. A few ye­ars ol­der than I ..."
"She so­ught you he­re?"
"Yes, I wro­te to her from he­re so­on af­ter I ca­me. I knew she wo­uld be an­xi­o­us abo­ut what was hap­pe­ning to me in Pa­ris. My let­ter to­ok a long ti­me to re­ach her but she fi­nal­ly re­ce­ived it and ins­te­ad of wri­ting she de­ci­ded to co­me and see me."
"She so­unds ... ad­ven­tu­ro­us."
"Well, I'd hardly say that. But she wo­uld go to a gre­at de­al of tro­ub­le for pe­op­le she ca­red abo­ut."
"So she ca­res much for you?"
"I think so."
"There is a tra­di­ti­on that step­mot­hers ne­ver li­ke child­ren of the first mar­ri­age."
I la­ug­hed.
"Clare is not in the le­ast li­ke the tra­di­ti­onal step­mot­her.
She is mo­re li­ke a sis­ter. She has be­en a fri­end of mi­ne from the mo­ment I met her, which was be­fo­re I ca­me to Fran­ce. "
"You must al­low me to me­et her."
"I will bring her to see you, if I may."
"This af­ter­no­on. I am eager to me­et yo­ur step­mot­her."
"What ti­me wo­uld you li­ke me to co­me?"
"Four o'clock. Af­ter I ha­ve had my rest."
"I am su­re she will be de­ligh­ted to me­et you."
"Is she go­ing to stay long?"
"I don't know. She ar­ri­ved only yes­ter­day. We had so much to talk abo­ut. We hardly stop­ped all last eve­ning."
"What of yo­ur fat­her? Did he not co­me with her?"
"My fat­her is de­ad."
"Dead? Oh yes, I re­mem­ber I did he­ar so­met­hing of it. He was go­ing blind. Such cru­el things hap­pen to pe­op­le ..." She lo­oked me­lanc­holy for a mo­ment; then she brigh­te­ned.
"Yes, bring her to me this af­ter­no­on. I want very much to me­et her."
The me­eting bet­we­en the Prin­ces­se and Cla­re was an im­me­di­ate suc­cess.
Clare's lu­mi­no­us brown eyes we­re full of com­pas­si­on and in a very short ti­me the Prin­ces­se was tel­ling her ot­her in­va­li­dism, which was a su­bj­ect very de­ar to her he­art.
She exp­la­ined to Cla­re that this was not one ot­her go­od days. I had he­ard this many ti­mes be­fo­re and alt­ho­ugh I had exp­res­sed sor­row at her in­dis­po­si­ti­on, I had ne­ver be­en ab­le to imply very gre­at sympathy, for I had al­ways felt that she ma­de a fe­tish of her il­lnes­ses and if only she wo­uld not con­cent­ra­te so who­le­he­ar­tedly on them, she wo­uld be much bet­ter.
Clare, ho­we­ver, had al­ways had im­me­di­ate sympathy for la­me ducks. She was truly com­pas­si­ona­te to­wards them, and they, sen­sing her sympathy to be ge­nu­ine, we­re drawn to­wards her.
Thus it was with Cla­re and the Prin­ces­se, and af­ter a very short ti­me Cla­re was re­ce­iving de­ta­iled ac­co­unts of the Prin­ces­se's af­flic­ti­ons.
Clare ad­mit­ted that she too had the oc­ca­si­onal he­adac­he or had do­ne un­til she had fo­und a mi­ra­cu­lo­us cu­re. It was a herb con­coc­ti­on which she ma­de her­self. She ne­ver tra­vel­led wit­ho­ut it. Per­haps she co­uld per­su­ade the Prin­ces­se to try a do­se. The Prin­ces­se dec­la­red that she wo­uld be de­ligh­ted.
"I co­uld hand it in at the cast­le to­mor­row," sa­id Cla­re.
"Oh, but you must bring it to me yo­ur­self," was the Prin­ces­se's reply.
Clare sa­id it wo­uld gi­ve her the gre­atest ple­asu­re.
"I ho­pe that you will plan to stay he­re a lit­tle whi­le," sa­id the Prin­ces­se, 'and do not in­tend to rush away qu­ickly. "
"How kind and hos­pi­tab­le ever­yo­ne is!" cri­ed Cla­re.
"I had to co­me to see how Ka­te was. I co­uld not be­ar the sus­pen­se any lon­ger. 'll is so kind of you to let her stay he­re ... and now to be so wel­co­ming to me."
"My hus­band, the Ba­ron, ar­ran­ged for the oc­cu­pa­ti­on of the Lo­ge."
There was a sharp no­te in her vo­ice which I be­li­eved Cla­re had no­ti­ced.
"Yes. Ka­te told me how it was ... how they ca­me from Pa­ris." v "They we­re in a sad sta­te when they ar­ri­ved he­re."
"But comp­le­tely re­co­ve­red now," sa­id Cla­re, smi­ling at me.
"They ha­ve such go­od he­alth," the Prin­ces­se sig­hed. I tho­ught: She is wor­king ro­und to her fa­vo­uri­te to­pic aga­in.
"It wo­uld ha­ve kil­led me," she ad­ded.
"Good he­alth is one of the best gifts fa­te can bes­tow," sa­id Cla­re.
It was small won­der that we all li­ked Cla­re. She had the gift of be­ing wha­te­ver her com­pa­ni­ons wis­hed her to be at the ti­me. With my fat­her she had tal­ked art and le­ar­ned a lit­tle abo­ut it; with me she dis­cus­sed my pre­di­ca­ment and the best way out of it; and with the Prin­ces­se it wo­uld ha­ve ap­pe­ared that il­lness and its re­me­di­es we­re of gre­ater in­te­rest to her than anyt­hing el­se.
"You ha­ve be­en a gre­at suc­cess with the lady," I sa­id as we ca­me out of the cast­le and ma­de our way to the Lo­ge.
"Poor Prin­ces­se," she sa­id.
"She's a very un­hap­py wo­man. That is why she con­cerns her­self so who­le­he­ar­tedly with her ail­ments."
"One wo­uld ha­ve tho­ught you had gi­ven a li­fe ti­me's study to them this af­ter­no­on."
"Well, she wan­ted to talk abo­ut them. I un­ders­tand that. She wan­ted to po­ur out her tro­ub­les. Of co­ur­se, that's not the re­al tro­ub­le, is it?
There's so­met­hing de­eper than that. I don't think she is very happy . with her Ba­ron. "
"You are a stu­dent of hu­man na­tu­re, Cla­re."
"Perhaps. You see, I li­ke pe­op­le. I ca­re abo­ut them. I li­ke to know why they act as they do. If I can, I li­ke to do so­met­hing for them."
"Well, you did so­met­hing for her this af­ter­no­on. I ha­ve ra­rely se­en her so ani­ma­ted. She re­al­ly to­ok to you."
"I shall vi­sit her if she wants me to, and if she will talk to me and the­re is anyt­hing I can do to help her ... I'll be glad."
Yes, I tho­ught, Cla­re lo­ves pe­op­le. She ma­kes the­ir tro­ub­les her own.
That must be why we all li­ke her so much.
I was glad she had co­me and her co­ming had bro­ught me the so­lu­ti­on which I had be­en lo­oking for. It was true that at ti­mes I wan­ted to re­j­ect it. Cla­re's co­ming had ma­de me re­ali­ze how very much I wan­ted to stay he­re and the re­ason for that was that I was ex­hi­la­ra­ted, sti­mu­la­ted and ro­used of­ten to an­ger but al­ways ex­ci­tingly by the Ba­ron. Her co­ming and the pos­si­bi­lity of re­tur­ning to Eng­land with her, of sa­ying go­odb­ye to him fo­re­ver, had ma­de me fa­ce the truth. I sho­uld find li­fe de­so­la­te wit­ho­ut him.
A few days la­ter Rol­lo ca­me in­to the ro­om whe­re I was wor­king on the ma­nusc­ript.
He shut the do­or and sto­od le­aning aga­inst it, smi­ling at me. I co­uld not stop my he­art be­ating a lit­tle fas­ter as it was apt to do when he ap­pe­ared sud­denly.
"I ha­ve co­me to see how the ma­nusc­ripts are prog­res­sing," he sa­id.
"Quite well in the cir­cums­tan­ces. I am le­aving this one. I shall ne­ver get that sha­de of red which was used at the ti­me. I do ne­ed it."
He ca­me and le­aned over me, kis­sing the back of my neck. I tur­ned sharply and, stan­ding, fa­ced him. He to­ok me by the sho­ul­ders and held me aga­inst him.
"Oh, Ka­te," he sa­id, 'this is the most ab­surd si­tu­ati­on.
You're he­re. I'm he­re . and we ha­ve to ke­ep up this ri­di­cu­lo­us pre­ten­ce. "
"Pretence of what?"
"That we don't want to be with each ot­her ... that we don't re­ali­ze we we­re me­ant for each ot­her and no one el­se is of the sligh­test in­te­rest to us."
"What a lot of non­sen­se. I find ot­her pe­op­le of in­te­rest to me."
"I me­an in this par­ti­cu­lar way."
"Well, I am co­ming to a de­ci­si­on. I ha­ve be­en ma­king plans. Ever sin­ce Cla­re ca­me I ha­ve be­en thin­king of go­ing away."
"No!"
"Yes, I shall go so­on."
"I shall not al­low it."
"How will you try to stop it? Put me in a tur­ret and ke­ep me the­re as yo­ur pri­so­ner?"
"Don't tempt me," he sa­id.
"You did that on­ce, but you co­uld not do it aga­in."
"I shall not let you go," he sa­id firmly.
"You can be su­re of that."
"Let us be sen­sib­le. Yo­ur li­fe is he­re. Mi­ne is not."
"You ha­ve be­en happy ... com­for­tab­le sin­ce we ca­me from Pa­ris."
"You and the Prin­ces­se ha­ve be­en kind and most hos­pi­tab­le."
"You be­long he­re, Ka­te. You be­long to me."
"I ha­ve no in­ten­ti­on of be­lon­ging to an­yo­ne but myself."
"I be­li­eve that you ha­ve gi­ven yo­ur­self to me. That's what I me­ant."
"Given myself! It was you who to­ok me ... aga­inst my will."
"Will you al­ways hold that lap­se aga­inst me? It is dif­fe­rent now."
"You hu­mi­li­ated me do­ubly. First by for­cing me to sub­mit to yo­ur lust and se­condly be­ca­use it was not de­si­re for me that promp­ted you, but re­ven­ge."
"Ah, I un­ders­tand so much. It was the se­cond part that an­gers you. It wo­uldn't be li­ke that next ti­me. It wo­uld be you ... and you only that I was thin­king of."
"Oh, ple­ase stop this talk. You ma­ke me re­ali­ze that I sho­uld go wit­ho­ut de­lay, as I ha­ve be­en plan­ning."
"What is that?"
"Go back to Eng­land."
"How wo­uld you li­ve? Whe­re wo­uld you li­ve?"
"There is an ans­wer to that now. I sho­uld go back with Cla­re to the ho­use whe­re I was born. It is hers now but she has sa­id that it shall be my ho­me for as long as I want it."
"And what cli­ents wo­uld you ha­ve the­re?"
"I co­uld res­to­re ma­nusc­ripts li­ke this. I co­uld pa­int mi­ni­atu­res. I am my fat­her's da­ugh­ter and many pe­op­le wo­uld want me for that re­ason."
"Is Cla­re rich eno­ugh to sup­port you and the boy?"
"No."
"Then wo­uld you not be ta­king a risk?"
"No. My fat­her had a col­lec­ti­on of mi­ni­atu­res. They rep­re­sent a small for­tu­ne and they are mi­ne. They are worth eno­ugh to ke­ep me go­ing for ye­ars .. ill sold them."
"And you wo­uld sell the fa­mily he­ir­lo­oms?"
"Yes, ill ne­eded the mo­ney to li­ve. I co­uld sell them one by one un­til I co­uld earn eno­ugh mo­ney. Ill be­ca­me rich, who knows? in ti­me I might buy them back aga­in."
He was re­al­ly sha­ken. He had al­ways stres­sed the fact that I must stay he­re be­ca­use I had to ke­ep myself and Ken­dal. Now he saw that the­re was a way out and he did not li­ke it at all.
"You ha­ve told me so­met­hing abo­ut the vil­la­ge. What will they say if you, an un­mar­ri­ed wo­man, turn up the­re with a child?"
"Clare has told them that I mar­ri­ed and kept my na­me Col­li­son for pro­fes­si­onal re­asons. Cla­re thinks of everyt­hing. "
"I am be­gin­ning to wish she had ne­ver co­me he­re. Ka­te, you wo­uldn't go. You wo­uldn't le­ave me. You co­uldn't. I'd co­me to Eng­land af­ter you. I as­su­re you, I am not go­ing to rest un­til you and I are lo­vers aga­in."
"Again!" I cri­ed.
"We ne­ver we­re."
"Why don't we go away from he­re? Why don't we ha­ve our own ho­use?"
"Like you and Ni­co­le?"
"No, dif­fe­rent from that. Ni­co­le and I did not set up ho­use to­get­her."
"You just bla­tantly an­no­un­ced that she was yo­ur ma­it­res se en lit­re, is that so?"
He did not ans­wer. Then he sa­id: "I lo­ve you, Ka­te. If I we­re free ..
"
"You are not free," I sa­id qu­ickly.
"You went in­to this mar­ri­age wil­lingly af­ter you had for­ced yo­ur­self on me and gi­ven me the child.
Don't think I reg­ret ha­ving him. He ma­kes everyt­hing I went thro­ugh worthw­hi­le. Bu­tj­you didn't ca­re. Now you are mar­ri­ed to the Prin­ces­se and I want a go­od li­fe for Ken­dal. I don't think he wo­uld ha­ve that as son of the Ba­ron's mist­ress . the il­le­gi­ti­ma­te son of the Ba­ron.
Your pla­ce is he­re with the Prin­ces­se. She is yo­ur wi­fe. Don't for­get you are mar­ri­ed. As for myself, I shall go back to Eng­land. "
"If I co­uld of­fer you mar­ri­age," he sa­id qu­i­etly, 'what then? To be to­get­her. to cla­im the boy as my own . Oh, Ka­te, I ne­ver wan­ted anyt­hing in my li­fe as much as that. "
"I think you ha­ve le­ar­ned so­met­hing," I told him.
"You we­re al­ways un­der the imp­res­si­on that you only had to ta­ke what you wan­ted. You for­got the­re we­re ot­her pe­op­le in the world ... You for­got that they too might ha­ve fe­elings ... de­si­res ... The­ir li­ves me­ant not­hing to you. They we­re just the­re to be used as best su­ited you. Now you know that ot­her pe­op­le want to li­ve the­ir li­ves the way they cho­ose.. not the way you cho­ose for them. I want a set­tled li­fe for my son. He is my son. you re­sig­ned all cla­im to him when you mar­ri­ed the Prin­ces­se and didn't mind what hap­pe­ned to him."
"That's not true. I ca­red very much what hap­pe­ned to him ... and to you."
"You sent yo­ur mist­ress to lo­ok af­ter us."
"Wasn't that ca­ring?"
"You didn't co­me yo­ur­self. You de­le­ga­ted anot­her. It was only when you saw the boy and to­ok a fancy to him that you ca­me back in­to our li­ves.
Do you think I don't un­ders­tand you? You are sel­fish and ar­ro­gant.
You suf­fer acu­tely from a di­se­ase cal­led me­ga­lo­ma­nia. Now you will ha­ve to re­ali­ze that the­re are ot­her pe­op­le in the world who­se li­ves me­an as much so them as yo­urs do­es to you. "
"You are tremb­ling," he sa­id.
"I be­li­eve you lo­ve me very much."
"You are ri­di­cu­lo­us."
He to­ok me in­to his arms then and kis­sed and went on kis­sing me. He was right, of co­ur­se. Wha­te­ver this was I felt for him, I did not want to re­sist. I wan­ted it to be as it had be­en all tho­se ye­ars ago in the tur­ret bed­ro­om.
Oh, what a bet­ra­yal it is when the fe­elings of one who pri­des her­self on her go­od sen­se de­mand that she act in op­po­si­ti­on to everyt­hing that she knows is right.
For a few mo­ments I let him hold me I let his fin­gers ca­ress my neck.
I tho­ught: It is na­tu­ral, I sup­po­se, for a wo­man to be aro­used by a man li­ke this, one who ema­na­tes po­wer, do­mi­na­ti­on . which is I be­li­eve in many ca­ses the ul­ti­ma­te in physi­cal at­trac­ti­on.
His lips we­re on my right ear.
"You're not go­ing to le­ave me, Ka­te. I won't al­low it."
I drew myself away from him. I knew that I was flus­hed and that my eyes we­re shi­ning. He was awa­re of it, too, and what it me­ant. I felt angry with him be­ca­use he was ab­le to un­ders­tand the truth.
Smiling at me sar­do­ni­cal­ly, he sa­id: "The­re is the boy, for one thing."
"What of the boy?"
"Do you think he wo­uld go away ... wil­lingly?"
"He wo­uld ha­ve to if I went."
"You wo­uld bre­ak his he­art."
"Hearts don't bre­ak. It's a physi­cal im­pos­si­bi­lity."
"Metaphorically spe­aking."
"Children get over the­se things very qu­ickly."
"I don't think he wo­uld. He knows that I am his fat­her."
"How co­uld he know such a thing?"
"He as­ked me."
"What? Why sho­uld he do that?"
"He had over­he­ard the ser­vants tal­king."
"I can't be­li­eve it."
"That ser­vants talk? They do, you know. All the ti­me. Do you think for one mo­ment that they don't know how things are bet­we­en us? Do you think they can't see the af­fi­nity bet­we­en Ken­dal and myself?"
"What did you say to him?"
"I co­uldn't lie, co­uld I? To my own son."
"Oh! How co­uld you!"
"Believe me, he is de­ligh­ted. He clim­bed up on me. I was sit­ting at the ti­me and do you know, he put his arms ro­und my neck and hug­ged me.
He kept sho­uting: "I knew it was true. I knew it." I as­ked him if he was ple­ased with his fat­her, and he sa­id he wo­uldn't ever want anot­her fat­her. I was the one. He had cho­sen me from the mo­ment he saw me.
There! What do you think of that? "
"Oh, you sho­uldn't ha­ve told him."
"Should I ha­ve li­ed? Why sho­uld he not know the truth? He's happy. He sa­id: " Then if you are my fat­her, this cast­le is re­al­ly my ho­me. "
Oh, he's one of us. No do­ubt of that."
"One of the glo­ri­o­us Nor­man con­qu­erors, you me­an?"
"Exactly. And now you see, Ka­te, why it is im­pos­sib­le for you to ta­ke him away."
"I don't see that at all. I think that if the ser­vants are tal­king the­re is all the mo­re re­ason why I sho­uld go away. I want Ken­dal to go to scho­ol in Eng­land."
"He can do that from he­re when the ti­me co­mes. We'll ta­ke him over to his scho­ol. We'll go and get him when scho­ol ho­li­days co­me ro­und.
There is not­hing in our way. "
"As I see it, the­re is everyt­hing. You ha­ve ma­de up my mind for me. I shall tell Cla­re that we must get re­ady to go at on­ce. We can't stay he­re any lon­ger."
"What of yo­ur work he­re?"
"You know you ha­ve only gi­ven it to me so that I shall ha­ve so­met­hing to do. If I don't fi­nish the ma­nusc­ripts, so­me­one el­se will. Yes, I see it cle­arly now. We must go. Now that you ha­ve told Ken­dal you are his fat­her, I see it is im­pos­sib­le for us to re­ma­in."
I wan­ted to get away, to think. He had shoc­ked me de­eply. I knew that Ken­dal wo­uld now be as­king all sorts of qu­es­ti­ons. I must ha­ve the right ans­wers re­ady.
He had do­ne it pur­po­sely. He had de­li­be­ra­tely told the boy.
I tri­ed to brush past him, but he ca­ught me by the sho­ul­ders.
"Kate," he sa­id, 'what are you go­ing to do? "
"Get away ... to think ... to ma­ke plans."
"Wait a whi­le. Gi­ve me ti­me."
"Time ... ti­me for what?"
"I will think of so­met­hing. So­met­hing is go­ing to hap­pen ... I pro­mi­se you. Don't do anyt­hing rash. Gi­ve me a lit­tle mo­re ti­me."
Then he had me in his arms aga­in. He held me to him. I wan­ted to stay the­re . just li­ke that. The tho­ught of go­ing away was un­be­arab­le.
And as we sto­od the­re, I he­ard a mo­ve­ment. The do­or was ope­ning.
We bro­ke away gu­il­tily as Cla­re ca­me in­to the ro­om.
"Oh!" She ga­ve a lit­tle exc­la­ma­ti­on. I no­ti­ced the une­asy lo­ok in her lar­ge brown eyes.
"I tho­ught you we­re alo­ne he­re, Ka­te ..."
The Ba­ron bo­wed.
She ack­now­led­ged his gre­eting and went on: "I only wan­ted to say, wo­uld you mind if we ate a lit­tle ear­li­er to­day as the boys want to get out in­to the wo­ods. It's so­me new ga­me, I think. One go­es off ahe­ad of the ot­her and le­aves a tra­il ..."
We we­re not con­cent­ra­ting on what she was sa­ying. Nor was she. She must ha­ve se­en our emb­ra­ce and it had up­set her. She ha­ted conf­lict of any sort and I knew she wo­uld be de­eply dis­tur­bed at the tho­ught of my con­duc­ting a lo­ve- af­fa­ir with the Ba­ron whi­le his wi­fe was on her in­va­lid's co­uch in anot­her part of the cast­le.
She did not men­ti­on what she had se­en and I sa­id not­hing to her im­me­di­ately abo­ut my de­ci­si­on to go back with her. She was vi­si­ting the cast­le every day and her fri­ends­hip with the Prin­ces­se was gro­wing fast. If she did not go to the cast­le a mes­sa­ge wo­uld co­me to the Lo­ge as­king if she was well and if so wo­uld she co­me at on­ce.
I knew what it was- that spe­ci­al brand of sympathy. As I ha­ve sa­id, the Prin­ces­se, who re­vel­led in self-pity, wo­uld find the ide­al lis­te­ner in Cla­re. It had al­ways be­en li­ke that. I re­mem­be­red po­or lit­tle Fa­ith Cam­bor­ne who had be­en so de­vo­ted to Cla­re. I was not surp­ri­sed that the Prin­ces­se fo­und in her the ide­al com­pa­ni­on. I sup­po­se the­re are few pe­op­le in the world who want to lis­ten to ot­her pe­op­le's tro­ub­les all the ti­me. But Cla­re was one who co­uld do this ad­mi­rably.
She scar­cely ever men­ti­oned her­self and had al­ways had the gift of ma­king ot­her pe­op­le's tro­ub­les hers.
I re­mem­be­red how my fat­her had writ­ten of her, tel­ling me how much she had do­ne for him. Cla­re was in­de­ed a ra­re per­son.
It was af­ter­no­on- three or fo­ur days af­ter she had surp­ri­sed Rol­lo and me to­get­her. I had sa­id not­hing to her yet, but I was ma­king plans in my own mind. I must ad­mit I kept post­po­ning them, ma­king ex­cu­ses to myself why I co­uld not put them in­to ac­ti­on im­me­di­ately. I wan­ted to work everyt­hing out very tho­ro­ughly, I told myself. I wan­ted to ima­gi­ne go­ing back to Col­li­son Ho­use . li­ving the­re . fin­ding a nic­he in that co­untry li­fe whe­re one's ne­igh­bo­urs knew most of one's bu­si­ness. It se­emed that they did he­re too; but that so­me­how was dif­fe­rent. The Ba­ron was he­re to pro­tect me. I sup­pres­sed that tho­ught as so­on as it ca­me. Co­uld I do it? I had mo­ney which I had ear­ned in Pa­ris. I had eno­ugh to get me to Eng­land and to last me for abo­ut a ye­ar whi­le I put out fe­elers. And at the back of my mind was the tho­ught of the se­cu­rity that col­lec­ti­on of mi­ni­atu­res had bro­ught me.
I ne­ed not worry fi­nan­ci­al­ly and that had be­en the ma­in ca­use of my an­xi­ety.
Jeanne had go­ne in­to the ne­arby vil­la­ge to shop and ta­ken the dog-cart with her. It be­lon­ged to the cast­le, of co­ur­se, but we had be­en gi­ven per­mis­si­on to use it.
The fact that both she and the boys we­re out ga­ve me an op­por­tu­nity to talk to Cla­re.
I knew that she wan­ted to say so­met­hing to me and did not qu­ite know how to be­gin.
I sa­id: "Are you se­e­ing the Prin­ces­se this af­ter­no­on?"
"Yes. She ex­pects me."
"You and she ha­ve be­co­me gre­at fri­ends in a very short ti­me."
"I am sorry for her. She is re­al­ly a very un­hap­py wo­man."
"Oh, Cla­re, it is yo­ur mis­si­on in li­fe to lo­ok af­ter pe­op­le, I know.
But I do think if she tri­ed to ro­use her­self. "
"Yes, but her ina­bi­lity to do so is part of her il­lness. She can't ro­use her­self. If she co­uld ..."
"She co­uld if she tri­ed. She do­es ri­de now and then. I ha­ve rid­den with her."
"Yes," sa­id Cla­re.
"She has ta­ken me to that fa­vo­uri­te spot ot­hers.
There aga­in, her fancy for that is mor­bid. She told me that on­ce she con­temp­la­ted thro­wing her­self over the Pe­ak. "
"I know. She told me, too. How much has she told you, Cla­re?"
"She talks all the ti­me ... of' the past mostly. Of the won­der­ful ti­me she had in Pa­ris. I know that she had a lo­ver and that po­or lit­tle Wil­li­am is not the Ba­ron's child." || "She has told you her who­le li­fe story, it se­ems."
"I'm sorry for her. I do what I can to help. But the­re is so lit­tle one can do, but sit and lis­ten and show sympathy."
"Can't you ma­ke her in­te­res­ted in so­met­hing?"
"She is in­te­res­ted only in her­self. Oh, Ka­te, I am wor­ri­ed. I'm wor­ri­ed ma­inly abo­ut you and yo­ur in­vol­ve­ment in all this."
I was si­lent and she went on: "We ha­ve to talk. It's no use pre­ten­ding things are not what they are. Ken­dal is the Ba­ron's son, isn't he?"
I nod­ded.
"He must ha­ve be­en born abo­ut the sa­me ti­me as Wil­li­am was."
"There is lit­tle dif­fe­ren­ce in the­ir ages."
"Even when the Ba­ron was abo­ut to be mar­ri­ed, you ... and he ..."
I just co­uld not be­ar the rep­ro­ach in her eyes.
"Of co­ur­se," she went on, "I sup­po­se he wo­uld be con­si­de­red a very at­trac­ti­ve man ... to so­me pe­op­le. All that po­wer ... all that mas­cu­li­nity ..."
I in­ter­rup­ted her.
"Clare, it was not as you think. I was go­ing to marry a dis­tant co­usin of his and the Ba­ron had a mist­ress. He was fond of her and wan­ted her set­tled. He wan­ted my fi­an­ce to marry her. My fi­an­ce sa­id he wo­uld not marry the Ba­ron's mist­ress. So the Ba­ron... oh, I know this so­unds crazy to you, co­ming from ho­me whe­re everyt­hing is so dif­fe­rent. But the­se things do hap­pen, and they hap­pe­ned he­re. He ab­duc­ted me, kept me a pri­so­ner, and for­ced me to sub­mit to him."
Clare ga­ve a cry of hor­ror.
"Oh no!" she sa­id.
"Oh yes. The re­sult was Ken­dal."
"Oh, Ka­te. And you co­uld lo­ve a man li­ke that!"
"Love him?" I sa­id.
"We are not tal­king of lo­ve."
"But you do lo­ve him ... now ... don't you?"
I was si­lent.
"Oh de­ar," she went on.
"I am so sorry. I just did not un­ders­tand."
I told her how he had sent Ni­co­le to lo­ok af­ter me, how he had sa­ved Ken­dal's li­fe and bro­ught us out of Pa­ris.
She sa­id: "He is a strong man." She lif­ted her sho­ul­ders.
"I be­gin to un­ders­tand ... a lit­tle. But he is mar­ri­ed to the Prin­ces­se. She ha­tes him, Ka­te. He wants to marry you, do­esn't he?"
I re­ma­ined si­lent.
Then she went on: "But he can't be­ca­use of the Prin­ces­se. Ka­te, you must not be­co­me his mist­ress. That wo­uld be wrong ... very wrong."
"I am thin­king of go­ing ho­me," I sa­id.
"I ha­ve be­en wan­ting to talk to you abo­ut that for so­me ti­me."
"The Prin­ces­se told me that he had de­man­ded that she di­vor­ce him."
"When?"
"A few days ago. She won't, Ka­te. She is ada­mant abo­ut that. I ha­ven't se­en her so ali­ve ... ever be­fo­re. At last she has a chan­ce to ta­ke her re­ven­ge ... and she is go­ing to ta­ke it. She knows that you and he ha­ve be­en lo­vers. She knows that Ken­dal is his son. He ma­kes that cle­ar eno­ugh. He do­tes on the boy. And then, the way he ig­no­res po­or Wil­li­am. It's all very ob­vi­o­us ... and very sad. He is a cru­el man in so­me ways."
"You see, I must go back to Eng­land with you. I wan­ted to talk to you abo­ut that."
"We will go whe­ne­ver you say."
"It will be so stran­ge to be back at Col­li­son Ho­use."
"It was yo­ur ho­me for a long ti­me."
"Kendal will ha­te it. He lo­ves the cast­le. He lo­ves the Ba­ron."
"Children get over the­se things qu­ickly."
"I won­der if Ken­dall will."
"It's the best way, Ka­te. In fact it is the only way."
"You are so un­ders­tan­ding, Cla­re."
"Well, my li­fe has be­en very qu­i­et re­al­ly. I lo­oked af­ter my mot­her un­til she di­ed and then I ca­me to you ... Not­hing much had hap­pe­ned to me un­til I mar­ri­ed yo­ur fat­her. Who wo­uld ever ha­ve tho­ught I sho­uld marry! I was very happy. It was ter­rib­le what hap­pe­ned."
"You did everyt­hing for him. You ma­de him so happy."
"Yes. It se­ems to me that I ha­ve al­ways li­ved ot­her pe­op­le's li­ves. I lo­oked af­ter him. His li­fe was mi­ne. And now the­re is you, Ka­te. You are his da­ugh­ter and it is what he wo­uld want me to do. I want to ta­ke you out of this si­tu­ati­on which is be­co­ming mo­re and mo­re in­to­le­rab­le.
I fe­el it is go­ing to blow up in­to a big storm and I'm af­ra­id for you.
"
"Oh Cla­re, I'm so glad you ca­me. You ha­ve of­fe­red me the way out."
"But you don't want to ta­ke it, Ka­te."
"I ha­ve to ta­ke it. I see with you that it is the only way."
We sat for so­me ti­me wit­ho­ut spe­aking. Then she went off to pay the pro­mi­sed vi­sit to the Prin­ces­se.
To Die/or Lo­ve i‹S›x^ Sy My tho­ughts we­re in a tur­mo­il. I knew that I had to get away. Ha­ving tal­ked to Cla­re, I re­ali­zed it with gre­ater un­ders­tan­ding.
I lis­te­ned to Ken­dal, tal­king of his new stal­king ga­me which he and Wil­li­am pla­yed in the wo­ods. It was the fa­vo­uri­te of the mo­ment and the wo­ods and sur­ro­un­ding co­untry we­re an ide­al set­ting for it.
"There's a man, you see," Ken­dal exp­la­ined, 'and he was a pri­so­ner in the dun­ge­ons. He starts out from the dun­ge­ons. The Ba­ron sa­id we co­uld. We draw lots for pri­so­ner and hun­ter. Then if I'm the pri­so­ner, I go to the dun­ge­ons. I bre­ak out and ha­ve to hi­de myself. Then if I'm the hun­ter, Wil­li­am go­es to the dun­ge­ons. We ha­ve to le­ave clu­es and then the hunt starts.
"It so­unds very ex­ci­ting," I sa­id.
"Kendal... you know we can't stay he­re al­ways."
His tho­ughts we­re far away in the wo­ods wor­king out the clu­es which he wo­uld le­ave for Wil­li­am to fol­low. He did not at first se­em to grasp what I had sa­id and then sud­denly it struck him.
"Why not?" he sa­id sharply.
"It's our ho­me."
"No, it's not."
"But it is now ..."
"Wouldn't you li­ke to go to the ho­use whe­re I was born?"
"Where is it?"
"In Eng­land. It's cal­led Col­li­son Ho­use af­ter our fa­mily."
"I might... one day."
"I me­an so­on."
"I li­ke it he­re. The­re's so much to exp­lo­re... and the cast­le is so big and the­re's so much to do."
I sa­id: "We might ha­ve to go ho­me."
"Oh no, we wo­uldn't ha­ve to. This is our ho­me. The Ba­ron wo­uldn't want us to go, and it's his cast­le."
How dif­fi­cult it was. In a co­wardly man­ner I shel­ved the su­bj­ect. I sho­uld ha­ve to re­turn to it la­ter. I did not want to spo­il the af­ter­no­on's ga­me in the wo­ods.
He ran off to the dun­ge­ons, plan­ning his clu­es. I wan­ted to get right away in or­der to think. I went to the stab­les.
My ma­re wasn't the­re. One of the gro­oms ca­me over to me.
"The ma­re you li­ke to ri­de has be­en ta­ken to the blacks­mith's," he told me.
"But if you are wan­ting a hor­se, the­re is old Fi­de­le."
"Isn't that the hor­se the Prin­ces­se ri­des?"
"Yes, Ma­da­me, but she has not rid­den him for se­ve­ral days. He ne­eds a bit of exer­ci­se and you'll find him a ste­ady old thing. He's very re­li­ab­le. A bit lazy tho­ugh. You un­ders­tand?"
"All right," I sa­id.
"Let me ta­ke Fi­de­le."
"I'll get him re­ady. Why, just ta­ke a lo­ok at him. He's get­ting ex­ci­ted. He knows he is go­ing for a ri­de. He's ple­ased abo­ut that, aren't you, old fel­low?"
So I ro­de out on Fi­de­le and I was ama­zed how he to­ok char­ge of our di­rec­ti­on. I re­ali­zed he was ta­king me to the spot whe­re he must ha­ve ta­ken the Prin­ces­se many ti­mes.
Yes. I was right. The­re we we­re. The we­at­her was mild and it was be­a­uti­ful up he­re. Sum­mer wo­uld so­on be with us. It did not surp­ri­se me that Ma­rie-Cla­ude ca­me up he­re very of­ten. The­re was a pe­ace abo­ut the pla­ce. One felt re­mo­te from everyt­hing.
I de­ci­ded to find the spot whe­re we had on­ce sat to­get­her.
I tet­he­red the hor­se whe­re we had left ours when I ca­me up he­re with her, and then I fo­und the shel­te­red spot by the bus­hes whe­re we had sat.
I le­aned aga­inst them and let my tho­ughts wan­der back to my talk with Ken­dal, and I as­ked myself why I had not be­en fir­mer with him.
He was go­ing to ha­te le­aving so much. He was no lon­ger a small boy who co­uld be pic­ked up and ta­ken anyw­he­re wit­ho­ut pro­test. He lo­ved the cast­le . pas­si­ona­tely. He lo­ved the Ba­ron too. I was well awa­re of that. He was go­ing thro­ugh that pha­se of baby­ho­od in­to boy­ho­od and he saw him­self as a man. Sin­ce I had be­en the­re I had de­tec­ted in him cer­ta­in si­mi­la­ri­ti­es to his fat­her, and I was be­gin­ning to think that Rol­lo must ha­ve be­en very li­ke Ken­dal when he was his age.
But I had to tell him we must le­ave. Wha­te­ver his re­luc­tan­ce, we had to get away.
I he­ard the so­und of a hor­se's ho­ofs in the dis­tan­ce. I sup­po­sed in a spot li­ke this one co­uld he­ar from a long way off. No. They we­re co­ming ne­arer. Now they had stop­ped sud­denly.
My tho­ughts went back to how I was go­ing to com­fort Ken­dal. In com­for­ting him per­haps I co­uld com­fort myself. It was fo­olish not to ad­mit that to le­ave the cast­le wo­uld be as gre­at an un­hap­pi­ness for me as for my son- and per­haps it wo­uld ta­ke lon­ger for me to re­co­ver.
I was awa­re that so­me­one was clo­se to me. Fo­ots­teps ca­me slowly up the inc­li­ne from be­hind the bus­hes which not only shel­te­red but hid me. It must ha­ve be­en the ri­der whom I had he­ard.
I sat still. wa­iting and then a sud­den fe­ar to­ok pos­ses­si­on of me.
I re­ali­zed how lo­nely it was up he­re and I re­mem­be­red that oc­ca­si­on when I had be­en he­re with Ma­rie-Cla­ude and we had sto­od on the brink of the ra­vi­ne lo­oking down, and I had had a stran­ge un­can­ny fe­eling that I was in dan­ger.
Whoever it was was very clo­se now. I he­ard the snap of brac­ken . and then fo­ots­teps . slow and de­li­be­ra­te. n.

L.

I sto­od up sud­denly. I was tremb­ling.
Rollo was co­ming to­wards me.
"Kate!" he cri­ed in as­to­nish­ment.
I stam­me­red: "Oh ... it is you, then."
"I didn't ex­pect to fin­dj­coy he­re. Why are you ri­ding that hor­se?"
"Oh ... of co­ur­se ... I've got Fi­de­le."
"I pas­sed him ... and I tho­ught ..."
"You tho­ught the Prin­ces­se was he­re."
"It's the hor­se she usu­al­ly ri­des."
"My bay ma­re is at the blacks­mith's. They sug­ges­ted I ta­ke Fi­de­le."
He was la­ug­hing now, re­co­ve­red from his surp­ri­se.
"What go­od luck to find you he­re!"
"I was very start­led when I he­ard yo­ur ste­althy ap­pro­ach."
"What did you think I was? A rob­ber?"
"I didn't know what to think." I lo­oked ro­und me.
"It's very lo­nely up he­re."
"I li­ke it," he sa­id, lo­oking at me in­tently.
"Were you sit­ting the­re?"
"Yes, sit­ting the­re ... thin­king."
"Sadly?"
I pa­used.
"Of le­aving," I sa­id.
"I ha­ve to go. I've ma­de up my mind."
"Please, not yet, Ka­te. You pro­mi­sed ... not yet."
"Soon. It must be so­on."
"Why? You're happy he­re. The­re's work for you. I co­uld find mo­re ma­nusc­ripts."
"I think we sho­uld le­ave in abo­ut a we­ek's ti­me. I've tal­ked to Cla­re."
"I wish that wo­man had ne­ver co­me he­re."
"Don't say that. She is a won­der­ful wo­man. The Prin­ces­se is de­vo­ted to her al­re­ady." I went on slowly: "You ha­ve spo­ken to her ... The Prin­ces­se ... ha­ven't you?"
"I've tri­ed to ca­j­ole; I've de­man­ded; I've thre­ate­ned. She is ha­ving her re­ven­ge on me at last, but I shall find a way. Ne­ver fe­ar.
I am go­ing to marry you, Ka­te. I'm go­ing to le­gi­ti­mi­ze the boy, and we are go­ing to li­ve he­re hap­pily for the rest of our days. Tell me what you wo­uld say if I co­uld do that? "
I did not ans­wer and he gat­he­red me in­to his arms and held me fast.
I tho­ught: So­on this will be over and I shall ne­ver see him aga­in. I felt that was un­be­arab­le.
"You lo­ve me, Ka­te. Say it."
"I don't know."
"You can't en­du­re the tho­ught of go­ing away ... right out of my li­fe.
Answer truth­ful­ly."
"No," I sa­id,"I can't."
"That's the ans­wer to the first qu­es­ti­on. We are two strong pe­op­le, Ka­te. We are not go­ing to let anyt­hing stand in our way, are we?"
"Some things must."
"But you lo­ve me and I lo­ve you. It is no or­di­nary lo­ve, is it? It's strong. We know so much abo­ut each ot­her. We've li­ved each ot­her's li­ves. Tho­se we­eks in Pa­ris ... they bo­und us to­get­her. I wan­ted you from the mo­ment I saw you. I li­ked everyt­hing abo­ut you, Ka­te ... the way you lo­oked, the way you wor­ked ... the way you tri­ed to de­ce­ive me abo­ut yo­ur fat­her's blind­ness. I wan­ted you then. I was de­ter­mi­ned to ha­ve you. That bu­si­ness of Mor­te­mer was an ex­cu­se."
"You co­uld ha­ve sug­ges­ted mar­ri­age then when you we­re free to do so."
"Would you ha­ve had me?"
"Not then."
"But now you wo­uld. Oh yes, you wo­uld now. Don't you see, we had to be re­ady. We had to know. We had to go thro­ugh all we went thro­ugh to le­arn that this thing we ha­ve for each ot­her is not pas­sing ... not ep­he­me­ral ... as so many lo­ves are. This is dif­fe­rent. This is for a li­fe­ti­me ... and it is worth everyt­hing we ha­ve."
"You're so ve­he­ment."
"I ha­ve sa­id that abo­ut you. It is what we li­ke abo­ut each ot­her. I know what I want and I know how to get it."
"Not al­ways."
"Yes," he sa­id firmly.
"Always. Ka­te, you must not go yet. If you do, I shall co­me af­ter you."
I sa­id not­hing. We sat the­re si­de by si­de and I lay aga­inst him whi­le he held me tightly.
I felt com­for­ted by his pre­sen­ce. For the first ti­me I was fa­cing the truth. Of co­ur­se I lo­ved him. When I had ha­ted him, my fe­eling for him had overw­hel­med everyt­hing el­se. From hat­red I had slip­ped in­to lo­ve and as my hat­red had be­en strong and fi­er­ce, so was my lo­ve.
But I was go­ing to Eng­land. I knew I had to go. Cla­re had ma­de me see that.
I ro­used myself.
"I must get back. Cla­re will be co­ming from the cast­le. They will be ex­pec­ting me and won­de­ring whe­re I am."
"Promise me one thing."
"What is that?"
"That you will not at­tempt to le­ave wit­ho­ut first tel­ling me."
"I pro­mi­se that," I sa­id. " " Then we sto­od for a whi­le and he kis­sed me in a dif­fe­rent way from that in which he had pre­vi­o­usly, gently, ten­derly.
I was so fil­led with emo­ti­on that I co­uld not spe­ak.
Then he hel­ped me to mo­unt Fi­de­le and we ro­de back to the cast­le.
"Kendal," I sa­id, 'we are go­ing to Eng­land. "
He sta­red at me and I saw his mo­uth har­den. He lo­oked re­mar­kably li­ke his fat­her in that mo­ment.
I went on: "I know you ha­te le­aving the cast­le, but we ha­ve to go. You see, this is not our ho­me."
"It is our ho­me," he sa­id ang­rily.
"No.. no... We are he­re be­ca­use the­re was now­he­re el­se for us to go af­ter we left Pa­ris. But you can't stay in ot­her pe­op­le's ho­uses for ever."
"It's my fat­her's ho­use. He wants us he­re."
"Kendal," I sa­id, 'you are not grown up yet. You must lis­ten to what I say and know that it is for the best. for you and for all of us. "
"It's not the best. It's not."
He was lo­oking at me as he ne­ver had be­fo­re in the who­le of his li­fe.
There had al­ways be­en a strong bond of af­fec­ti­on bet­we­en us and I co­uld not be­ar to see that lo­ok in his eyes. It was al­most as tho­ugh he ha­ted me.
Could Rol­lo me­an so much to him? He re­al­ly did lo­ve the cast­le, I knew. True, it was a sto­re­ho­use of won­der­ment to an ima­gi­na­ti­ve child; but it was mo­re than that. He had ma­de up his mind that he be­lon­ged he­re and Rol­lo had do­ne his best to ma­ke him fe­el that.
He rob­bed me of my vir­tue, I tho­ught. He tur­ned my li­fe up­si­de down; and now he wo­uld rob me of my child.
I felt angry sud­denly. I sa­id: "I see it is no use tal­king to you."
"No, it isn't," sa­id Ken­dal.
"I don't want to go to Eng­land. I want to stay at ho­me." Then I saw that stub­born lo­ok in his fa­ce aga­in, which re­min­ded me so much of his fat­her. I tho­ught: He is go­ing to be just li­ke him when he grows up, and my fe­ar for him was ming­led with my pri­de.
I sa­id: "We will talk of it la­ter."
I did not fe­el I co­uld be­ar to say any mo­re.
It was la­te that af­ter­no­on. Je­an­ne was co­oking which she li­ked to do -and Cla­re had just co­me in. She had be­en to the cast­le.
"Madame la Ba­ron­ne is in a de­fi­ant mo­od to­day," she sa­id.
"I don't li­ke the way things are go­ing up the­re." She lo­oked at me an­xi­o­usly.
"This ti­me next we­ek we shall be set­ting out for ho­me," I re­min­ded her.
"It's best," she sa­id com­pas­si­ona­tely. I tho­ught it was won­der­ful, the way she un­ders­to­od.
"Where is Ken­dal?" she went on.
"He went off with Wil­li­am pla­ying that hun­ting ga­me they are so fond of, I be­li­eve. I saw them go off. He was car­rying so­met­hing. It lo­oked li­ke a bag of so­me sort."
"Laying his clu­es, I sup­po­se. I am so ple­ased that he and Wil­li­am ha­ve be­co­me fri­ends. It is such a go­od thing for that po­or lit­tle boy. I'm af­ra­id he didn't ha­ve much of a li­fe be­fo­re."
"No. I won­der what he will do when we ha­ve go­ne."
Clare knit­ted her brows.
"Poor lit­tle thing! He will re­vert to what he was be­fo­re."
"He has chan­ged a go­od de­al sin­ce we ca­me."
"I can't be­ar to think of him. Has Ken­dal told him we are go­ing?"
"No. Ken­dal won't ac­cept that we are. He be­ca­me so angry ... so un­li­ke him­self... when I tal­ked of it."
"He'll be all right. Child­ren adj­ust very qu­ickly."
"He se­ems to ha­ve be­co­me ob­ses­sed by the pla­ce ... and the Ba­ron."
"A pity. It'll all co­me right in the end."
"You be­li­eve in happy en­dings, Cla­re."
"I be­li­eve that we can do a gre­at de­al to­wards brin­ging them abo­ut," she sa­id qu­i­etly.
"I've al­ways tho­ught that."
"You're a gre­at com­fort."
"Sometimes I think I ought not to ha­ve co­me he­re."
"Why ever sho­uld you think that?"
"When I ca­me, I of­fe­red you a way out. So­me­ti­mes I think that is the last thing you wan­ted."
I was si­lent, thin­king: I be­li­eve she no­ti­ces everyt­hing.
"I ne­eded a way out, Cla­re," I sa­id.
"You sho­wed me a way.
So ple­ase don't say it wo­uld ha­ve be­en bet­ter if you hadn't co­me. "
We we­re both si­lent for so­me ti­me. I was thin­king abo­ut Cla­re and what her li­fe must ha­ve be­en li­ke when she was lo­oking af­ter her mot­her un­til she di­ed . and then co­ming to lo­ok af­ter my fat­her. Now it se­emed she was lo­oking af­ter me. It was true that she was the sort of per­son who spent her li­fe lo­oking af­ter ot­her pe­op­le and had no re­al li­fe ot­her own. It must ha­ve be­en abo­ut half an ho­ur la­ter when she re­min­ded me that Ken­dal had not co­me ho­me.
"He is la­te," I ag­re­ed.
Jeanne ca­me in then and as­ked whe­re Ken­dal was. We all ag­re­ed that he was la­te, but we we­re not re­al­ly con­cer­ned un­til abo­ut an ho­ur la­ter when he was still not ho­me.
"Wherever can he ha­ve got to?" as­ked Je­an­ne.
"He sho­uld ha­ve be­en back long ago."
"He must ha­ve got ca­ught up in the ga­me."
"I won­der if he is at the cast­le," sug­ges­ted Je­an­ne.
Clare sa­id she wo­uld go and lo­ok, and put on her clo­ak and went out.
I was be­gin­ning to fe­el une­asy. Cla­re ca­me back so­on lo­oking very dis­tur­bed. Ken­dal was not at the cast­le. Wil­li­am was not the­re eit­her.
"They must still be pla­ying," sa­id Je­an­ne. But two ho­urs la­ter when they had still not re­tur­ned I was se­ri­o­usly alar­med. I went up to the cast­le. I was met by one of the ma­ids who lo­oked at me with that spe­cu­la­ti­on to which I was be­co­ming ac­cus­to­med.
I cri­ed out: "Has Wil­li­am co­me ho­me yet?"
"I don't know, Ma­da­me. I will go and en­qu­ire."
It so­on trans­pi­red that Wil­li­am was not at ho­me. Now I knew so­met­hing was wrong.
Rollo ca­me in­to the hall.
"Kate!" he cri­ed, the de­light ob­vi­o­us in his vo­ice at the sight of me.
I cri­ed out: "It's Ken­dal. He's out so­mew­he­re. We ex­pec­ted him back ho­urs ago. Wil­li­am is with him. They went out this af­ter­no­on to play in the wo­ods as they of­ten do."
"Not back yet! Why, it will be dark so­on."
"We must find him," I sa­id.
"I'll ma­ke up se­ve­ral se­arch par­ti­es. You and I will go to­get­her, Ka­te. Let's go to the stab­les. I'll bring a lan­tern and alert the ot­hers. The­re's no mo­on to­night."
In a short ti­me he had for­med se­arch par­ti­es and sent them off in dif­fe­rent di­rec­ti­ons. He and I ro­de off to­get­her.
"To the wo­ods," he sa­id.
"I'm al­ways af­ra­id of the Pe­ak. If they got too ne­ar the ed­ge ... the­re might be an ac­ci­dent."
We ro­de in si­len­ce. I was get­ting re­al­ly frigh­te­ned now. It was dark in the wo­ods and all sorts of fe­ar­ful pic­tu­res kept flas­hing in­to my mind. What co­uld ha­ve hap­pe­ned to them? So­me ac­ci­dent? Rob­bers? What wo­uld they ha­ve that was worth ste­aling? Gypsi­es! I had he­ard of them car­rying off child­ren.
I felt sick with an­xi­ety and at the sa­me ti­me re­li­eved be­ca­use Rol­lo was with me.
We went to that spot which Ma­rie-Cla­ude had first shown me and whe­re I had met Rol­lo la­ter. I pe­ered in­to the eerie dark­ness. We ro­de right to the drop. Rol­lo dis­mo­un­ted and ga­ve me his hor­se to hold whi­le he went to the ed­ge of the ra­vi­ne and lo­oked over.
"Nothing down the­re. The gro­und hasn't be­en dis­tur­bed. I don't think they ca­me to this spot."
"I ha­ve a fe­eling they are in the wo­ods," I sa­id.
"They ca­me to the wo­ods to play the­ir ga­me. They co­uldn't ha­ve pla­yed it in the open co­untry."
Rollo sho­uted: "Ken­dal, whe­re are you?"
His own vo­ice ec­ho­ed back.
Then he did a shrill whist­le. It was earsp­lit­ting.
"I ta­ught him how to do that," he sa­id.
"We prac­ti­sed it to­get­her."
"Kendal, Ken­dal!" he cal­led.
"Where are you?" And then he whist­led aga­in.
There was no res­pon­se.
We ro­de on and ca­me to a di­su­sed qu­ar­ry.
"We'll ri­de down he­re," sa­id Rol­lo, 'and I'll sho­ut aga­in. It's ama­zing how one's vo­ice ec­ho­es from he­re. I used to call to my play­ma­tes when I was a boy. You get the ec­ho back. I sho­wed this to Ken­dal too. "
I won­de­red bri­efly how of­ten they had be­en to­get­her. When Ken­dal went off in­to the wo­ods, was the Ba­ron the­re too? Did he jo­in in the ga­me of hun­ter and hun­ted?
We ro­de up to the top of the qu­ar­ry and sho­uted aga­in.
There was si­len­ce for a few se­conds and then . un­mis­ta­kably . the so­und of a whist­le.
"Listen," sa­id Rol­lo.
He whist­led aga­in and the whist­le was re­tur­ned.
"Thank God," he sa­id.
"We've fo­und them."
"Where?"
"We'll find out." He whist­led aga­in and aga­in it ca­me back.
"This way," he sa­id.
I fol­lo­wed him and we ma­de our way thro­ugh the tre­es.
The whist­le was clo­se now.
"Kendal," cal­led Rol­lo.
"Baron!" ca­me the ans­wer; and I don't think I ever felt so happy in my li­fe as I did at that mo­ment.
We fo­und them in a hol­low- Wil­li­am whi­te and sca­red, Ken­dal de­fi­ant.
They had cont­ri­ved to bu­ild a tent of so­me sort with a she­et spre­ad out over the brac­ken.
"What's this!" cri­ed Rol­lo.
"You've led us a pretty dan­ce."
"We're cam­ping," sa­id Ken­dal.
"You might ha­ve men­ti­oned the fact. Yo­ur mot­her has be­en fran­ti­cal­ly won­de­ring whe­re you we­re. She tho­ught you we­re lost."
"I don't get lost," sa­id Ken­dal, not lo­oking at me.
Rollo had dis­mo­un­ted and pul­led back the she­et.
"What's this? A fe­ast or so­met­hing?"
"We to­ok it from the kitc­hens in the cast­le. The­re was a lot of fo­od the­re."
"I see," sa­id Rol­lo.
"Well, now you'd bet­ter co­me back qu­ickly be­ca­use the­re are a lot of pe­op­le se­arc­hing the co­untry­si­de for you."
"Are you angry?" as­ked Ken­dal.
"Very," sa­id the Ba­ron. He se­ized Ken­dal and put him on his hor­se.
"Am I go­ing to ri­de back with you?" as­ked Ken­dal.
"You don't de­ser­ve to. I ought to ma­ke you walk."
"I'm not go­ing to le­ave the cast­le," an­no­un­ced Ken­dal.
"What?" cri­ed Rol­lo.
"I'm go­ing to stay with you. This is my ho­me and you are my fat­her.
You sa­id you we­re. "
Rollo had tur­ned to me and I was awa­re of his tri­umph. The boy was his. I knew that he was very happy in that mo­ment.
William was stan­ding up lo­oking ex­pec­tantly abo­ut him. Rol­lo lif­ted him up and set him on my hor­se in front of me.
"Now we'll get the­se scamps ho­me," sa­id Rol­lo.
As we ap­pro­ac­hed the cast­le se­ve­ral of the ser­vants saw us ap­pro­ac­hing and a sho­ut of joy went up be­ca­use the boys we­re sa­fe.
I dis­mo­un­ted and hel­ped Wil­li­am down.
"It wasn't Wil­li­am's fa­ult," sa­id Ken­dal sul­lenly, as he was put on the gro­und ma­de him co­me. "
"We know that," sa­id Rol­lo, sternly pro­ud.
Jeanne and Cla­re ca­me run­ning up.
"Oh ... you've fo­und them!" pan­ted Je­an­ne.
"Thank God!" cri­ed Cla­re.
"Are they all right?"
"There's not­hing wrong with them," I told her.
"Have you so­me hot fo­od for them?" as­ked Rol­lo.
"Though they don't de­ser­ve it."
"I'm hungry," sa­id Ken­dal.
"So am I," ad­ded Wil­li­am.
"Come along in­to the Lo­ge," sa­id je­an­ne "You shall ha­ve so­met­hing in next to no ti­me. Wha­te­ver did you do this for?"
Kendal lo­oked ste­adily at Rol­lo.
"We we­re go­ing to camp in the wo­ods un­til my mot­her had go­ne," he sa­id.
"You won't let them send me away, will you?"
There was a short si­len­ce and then Ken­dal ran to Rol­lo and se­ized him ro­und the legs.
"This is whe­re I li­ve!" he cri­ed.
Rollo pic­ked him up.
"Don't fret," he sa­id.
"I'm not go­ing to le­ave you."
"Then that's all right," rep­li­ed Ken­dal.
He wrig­gled to be let down and Rol­lo put him on the gro­und. Rol­lo was lo­oking at me and I was awa­re of the tri­ump­hant gle­am in his eyes.
Both the child­ren had a bowl of so­up and when they had eaten Wil­li­am went back to the cast­le with Rol­lo.
He did not rep­ro­ve Wil­li­am at all. His rep­ro­ac­hes had be­en le­vel­led at Ken­dal, but they we­re not re­al­ly rep­ro­ac­hes. Ken­dal had ma­de everyt­hing very cle­ar. He had run away and pre­va­iled on Wil­li­am to go with him to show us that he was not go­ing to le­ave the cast­le wil­lingly.
Just for a mo­ment I won­de­red whet­her Rol­lo had sug­ges­ted the who­le thing. Ken­dal had ans­we­red so promptly to the whist­le. They might ha­ve plan­ned it bet­we­en them.
Oh no, su­rely not. Ken­dal was too yo­ung to ta­ke part in such sche­mes.
But with Rol­lo one co­uld ne­ver be su­re how far he wo­uld go.
Kendal was ti­red out and af­ter he was in bed I sat tal­king with Cla­re.
"What a de­ter­mi­ned child he is!" she sa­id.
"To run away just li­ke that to show you that he re­sents be­ing ta­ken away from he­re.
What use did he think that wo­uld be? "
"His in­ten­ti­on was to camp in the wo­ods un­til we had go­ne, and then to emer­ge and go back to the cast­le."
"Good he­avens! What a sche­me!"
"He is very yo­ung."
"That man has wo­ven a spell abo­ut him," sa­id Cla­re qu­i­etly.
"It is be­ca­use he has ad­mit­ted to him that he is his fat­her. Ken­dal has al­ways wan­ted a fat­her."
"Children do," sa­id Cla­re, and lap­sed in­to si­len­ce.
That day will stand out fo­re­ver in my me­mory.
It be­gan or­di­na­rily eno­ugh. I went to the cast­le to work on the ma­nusc­ripts; Ken­dal had al­re­ady go­ne with Je­an­ne for his les­sons. In the af­ter­no­on I bu­si­ed myself with get­ting a few things to­get­her with my im­mi­nent de­par­tu­re in mind.
I was thin­king of Ken­dal. He had sa­id not­hing mo­re abo­ut our le­aving, but I knew by the set of his mo­uth and his at­ti­tu­de to­wards me that the­re wo­uld be mo­re tro­ub­le to co­me.
Perhaps, I tho­ught, we sho­uld stay. Per­haps I co­uld ma­ke so­me ex­cu­se to Cla­re. I co­uld tell her that I wan­ted to fi­nish the ma­nusc­ripts and we wo­uld fol­low her la­ter. I knew that If I did that I sho­uld ca­pi­tu­la­te, for I co­uld not hold out much lon­ger aga­inst Rol­lo.
I re­mem­be­red the way he had lo­oked when he had sa­id:
"Kendal, don't fret. I am not go­ing to le­ave you."
He had me­ant that. He must ha­ve plans. In my he­art I wan­ted tho­se plans to suc­ce­ed. I wan­ted him to carry me off so­mew­he­re . as he had on that ot­her oc­ca­si­on and to say:
"You are sta­ying with me fo­re­ver."
And yet I went on, as tho­ugh in a dre­am, ma­king pre­pa­ra­ti­ons to le­ave.
The af­ter­no­on wo­re on. Je­an­ne was in the kitc­hen pre­pa­ring to co­ok.
Kendal had co­me in and was in the kitc­hen with Je­an­ne.
Clare was in her ro­om, pro­bably res­ting, for she had be­en out all the af­ter­no­on.
We sat down at tab­le at the usu­al ti­me and whi­le we we­re eating we had a cal­ler. It was the ho­use­ke­eper from the cast­le.
There was ming­ling an­xi­ety and ex­ci­te­ment in her fa­ce.
"Oh, Ma­da­me," she cri­ed.
"I won­de­red if Ma­da­me Col- li­son had se­en Ma­da­me la Ba­ron­ne." She was lo­oking at Cla­re as she spo­ke.
"Seen her?" I sa­id, puz­zled.
"She is not at the cast­le. It is unu­su­al for her to stay out wit­ho­ut sa­ying. I won­de­red if she we­re he­re ... or if you had any idea whe­re she had go­ne and when she wo­uld re­turn."
"No," sa­id Cla­re.
"I saw her yes­ter­day. She did not tell me she was go­ing anyw­he­re spe­ci­al to­day."
"She may be back now. I am sorry to ha­ve tro­ub­led you. It is just that it is so ra­re ... and I tho­ught eit­her you, Ma­da­me, or Ma­da­me Col­li­son might ha­ve had so­me idea."
"I ex­pect she has ta­ken a ri­de," I sa­id.
"Yes, Ma­da­me, but it is rat­her long sin­ce she went."
"She will pro­bably ha­ve re­tur­ned by the ti­me you get back."
"Yes, Ma­da­me, and I am sorry to ha­ve tro­ub­led you. But ..."
"It was go­od of you to be so con­cer­ned," sa­id Cla­re softly.
She left us. Cla­re lo­oked a lit­tle wor­ri­ed, but ne­it­her of us sa­id anyt­hing be­ca­use Ken­dal was pre­sent. When the me­al was over I went up to Cla­re's ro­om.
"Are you wor­ri­ed abo­ut the Prin­ces­se?" I as­ked.
She was tho­ught­ful for a mo­ment.
"I'm not su­re ... She has be­en a lit­tle stran­ge la­tely. It was sin­ce the Ba­ron as­ked her for a di­vor­ce."
"How was she dif­fe­rent?"
"I don't know. De­fi­ant, per­haps. I fan­ci­ed she was hi­ding so­met­hing.
She has ne­ver be­en very go­od at ke­eping things to her­self.
Perhaps it was up­set­ting for her to be as­ked for a di­vor­ce. That wo­uld be all aga­inst her prin­cip­les. He must ha­ve known that she wo­uld ne­ver gi­ve him a di­vor­ce. The­re wo­uld ha­ve to be a dis­pen­sa­ti­on, in vi­ew of everyt­hing . "
"I do ho­pe she is all right," I sa­id une­asily.
"So do I.1 think it is a very go­od thing that we are le­aving. It will ta­ke you right away from all this. You'll set­tle in Eng­land, Ka­te. We shall be to­get­her. I'll do everyt­hing I can to help."
"WhatofKendal?"
"He'll be all right. He's li­ved thro­ugh so­me very stran­ge ti­mes. It's bo­und to ha­ve had an ef­fect on him. He'll set­tle tho­ugh. A ye­ar from now we'll all be happy to­get­her. This will be li­ke a for­got­ten dre­am I pro­mi­sed yo­ur fat­her that I wo­uld lo­ok af­ter you."
"Dear Cla­re, I'm so thank­ful for you." I went to the win­dow.
"I wish we co­uld he­ar that Ma­rie-Cla­ude was sa­fely back. She might ha­ve had an ac­ci­dent. I don't think she is a very go­od hor­se­wo­man."
"Oh, she'll be all right on old Fi­de­le. He'd ne­ver bes­tir him­self to anyt­hing vi­olent."
As I sto­od the­re lo­oking out, I he­ard no­ises. Vo­ices . sho­uting . and the so­unds of ac­ti­vity.
"Something's hap­pe­ning at the cast­le," I sa­id.
"I'm go­ing to find out what."
"I'll co­me with you," sa­id Cla­re.
There was cons­ter­na­ti­on in the cast­le. The Ba­ron was sho­uting or­ders.
I gat­he­red that the Prin­ces­se was mis­sing and that Fi­de­le had re­tur­ned to the stab­les alo­ne. He had be­en fo­und pa­ti­ently wa­iting the­re for how long no one knew.
One of the gro­oms sa­id that he had sad­dled the hor­se for the Prin­ces­se in the mid-after­no­on and she had go­ne off on him. f That must ha­ve be­en se­ve­ral ho­urs be­fo­re.
The Ba­ron sa­id the­re must ha­ve be­en an ac­ci­dent, and, as he had do­ne when Ken­dal was lost so re­cently, he was ar­ran­ging for se­arch par­ti­es to go off in va­ri­o­us di­rec­ti­ons.
He was in per­fect com­mand of the si­tu­ati­on as he had be­en a few nights ear­li­er.
I ra­ised my hor­ror-stric­ken eyes to his and sa­id: "Can I be of any help?"
He re­tur­ned my ga­ze ste­adily, and I co­uld not gu­ess what was in his eyes. Then he sa­id: "You go back to the Lo­go. When the­re is news I shall see that you get it wit­ho­ut de­lay."
He glan­ced at Cla­re.
"Take her back," he sa­id; and ad­ded:
"And stay with her."
Clare nod­ded and slip­ped her arm thro­ugh mi­ne. We went back to the Lo­ge.
Time se­emed as tho­ugh it wo­uld ne­ver pass. A ter­rib­le fe­ar had co­me to me. Rol­lo's fa­ce kept flas­hing in and out of my mind. I re­mem­be­red words he had sa­id: So­met­hing wo­uld be do­ne. He was not go­ing to lo­se us . myself or Ken­dal.
And Ma­rie-Cla­ude sto­od in his way.
I am ima­gi­ning im­pos­si­bi­li­ti­es, I told myself. But he al­ways says that not­hing is im­pos­sib­le. He is ruth­less . de­ter­mi­ned to get his own way. I kept se­e­ing him as he had be­en in the tur­ret ro­om.
Implacable.
Bent on do­mi­na­ti­on. What hap­pe­ned to tho­se who im­pe­ded him? He swept them asi­de.
Oh Ma­rie-Cla­ude, I tho­ught. Whe­re are you? You must be ali­ve and well, you must. And I must le­ave this pla­ce. I must for­get my dre­ams.
I ha­ve to get away and ma­ke a dif­fe­rent li­fe for myself. I ha­ve to for­get the past. for­get the ex­ci­te­ment, the sort of lo­ve I had glimp­sed la­tely. I must set­tle down to a humd­rum li­fe . but one of pe­ace.
Peace? But wo­uld the­re ever be pe­ace aga­in?
Kendal went to bed. I was glad he had not no­ti­ced that
R
anything was wrong. He was so ob­ses­sed by his own prob­lem that he was not awa­re of anyt­hing el­se.
Jeanne ca­me and sat with us. We tal­ked in whis­pers and wa­ited . and wa­ited.
It was ne­arly mid­night when the­re was a knock on the do­or. It was the ho­use­ke­eper from the cast­le.
"They've fo­und her," she sa­id. She lo­oked at us with wi­de eyes, the exp­res­si­on of which was half hor­ror, half ex­ci­te­ment.
"Where?" whis­pe­red Cla­re.
The ho­use­ke­eper bit her lips. I no­ti­ced that she avo­ided lo­oking at me.
"They se­arc­hed the wo­ods. They tho­ught the hor­se had thrown her.
They co­uldn't see down the ra­vi­ne. It was too dark. They had to go down . And that's whe­re they fo­und her. She had be­en de­ad so­me ho­urs.
"
I felt dizzy. Cla­re ca­me to me and put her arm ro­und me.
"Poor so­ul," she mur­mu­red.
"Poor, po­or lady."
"I was sent to tell you," sa­id the ho­use­ke­eper.
"Thank you," ans­we­red Cla­re.
When she went out, Je­an­ne lo­oked from me to Cla­re.
"It's ter­rib­le," she be­gan.
Clare nod­ded.
"It's a gre­at shock. She must ha­ve do­ne it ... de­li­be­ra­tely. She had tal­ked of do­ing it... and now she has."
I no­ti­ced that Je­an­ne did not now lo­ok at eit­her of us. I co­uld gu­ess what tho­ughts we­re in her mind.
Clare sa­id briskly: "The­re is not­hing we can do. We sho­uld re­al­ly try and get so­me rest. This is a ter­rib­le shock. I'll ma­ke a lit­tle drink for us. We ne­ed it. Go to yo­ur ro­oms. I'll bring it up to you."
We we­re all glad to be alo­ne, I think. I wan­ted to try to work out how it co­uld ha­ve hap­pe­ned. I co­uld not shut out of my mind the tho­ught of her stan­ding on that spot with the ste­ep drop be­fo­re her. And in my tho­ughts the­re was so­me­one el­se stan­ding clo­se to her.
And then I re­mem­be­red that oc­ca­si­on when I had go­ne the­re with Fi­de­le and he had co­me up and be­en surp­ri­sed to find me the­re. He had be­en ex­pec­ting to co­me upon her.
"No, no," I whis­pe­red.
"Not that. I co­uldn't be­ar that. Not mur­der."
I know he was ca­pab­le of dras­tic ac­ti­on. I knew that he to­ok bold steps. But not mur­der. That wo­uld stand bet­we­en us far mo­re strongly than ever Ma­rie-Cla­ude co­uld ha­ve do­ne.
The fat­her of my son . a mur­de­rer!
I co­uld not ac­cept that. I wo­uld not lis­ten to the vo­ices in my mind . the vo­ices of re­ason and lo­gi­cal de­duc­ti­on. If I be­li­eved them, it was over . over fo­re­ver, and that was so­met­hing I co­uld not be­ar.
This night had bro­ught no new so­lu­ti­on for me. Un­less it had shown me the only pos­sib­le path I co­uld ta­ke.
Clare ca­me in stir­ring so­met­hing.
"It will ma­ke you sle­ep," she sa­id.
She sat down on the bed and lo­oked at me.
"This chan­ges everyt­hing," she sa­id.
"I don't know. It's too so­on yet. I can't think cle­arly."
"You're shoc­ked."
"Clare, do you think that he ..."
"No," she sa­id emp­ha­ti­cal­ly.
"How co­uld you sug­gest such a thing? It's ob­vi­o­us that she kil­led her­self. , . un­less it was an ac­ci­dent. She was a hypoc­hond­ri­ac. She had of­ten tal­ked of kil­ling her­self. The mo­re you think of it, the mo­re simp­le the ans­wer se­ems."
"I wish I co­uld be su­re."
"Do you re­al­ly think that he mur­de­red his wi­fe?"
I was si­lent.
"My de­ar, de­ar Ka­te, he wo­uldn't do it. I know he wo­uldn't. To mur­der for ga­in ... that's the co­ward's way. It me­ans you can't fight for what you want by any ot­her me­ans ... and that anot­her per­son is too strong for you. No, that's not the Ba­ron's way. I've be­en thin­king that we ought to go away ... for a whi­le. Then all this will blow over. We co­uld li­ve qu­i­etly at Col­li­son Ho­use and in a few months ... or af­ter a su­itab­le ti­me has elap­sed ... he can co­me over for you and you can be mar­ri­ed."
"Oh Cla­re, you work everyt­hing out so very pre­ci­sely."
"It's be­ca­use lam of a prac­ti­cal na­tu­re. The po­or Prin­ces­se has go­ne.
Poor wo­man. I was so sorry for her. She hadn't much to li­ve for, had she? I think it was the best way. It may be that she saw this, and re­ali­zed it wo­uld ma­ke it easi­er for ever­yo­ne. You see it was just her un­hap­pi­ness aga­inst you, him, Ken­dal . and her own child too. How do you think yo­ung Wil­li­am wo­uld ha­ve felt if you and Ken­dal had go­ne away? You've do­ne won­ders for him bet­we­en you you, Je­an­ne and Ken­dal.
He wo­uld be a wretc­hedly lo­nely lit­tle boy aga­in. Per­haps she knew this. Per­haps she we­ig­hed it up and saw the best so­lu­ti­on . the nob­le way out. "
"I don't think the Prin­ces­se wo­uld ha­ve tho­ught li­ke that."
"My de­ar Ka­te, how can you ever know what is go­ing on in ot­her pe­op­le's minds? Now try and sle­ep. When you are res­ted you will be ab­le to ta­ke a cle­arer vi­ew of all this. Then we'll talk aga­in."
"If I co­uld be­li­eve ..."
"You can be­li­eve. I tell you, you can. I know. I can see it so cle­ar.
I re­al­ly knew her bet­ter than an­yo­ne el­se he­re. She was open with me.
She con­fi­ded in me. I knew so­met­hing of what was in her mind. She has ta­ken her li­fe be­ca­use she tho­ught it was the best thing for her­self . and for ot­hers. I see it cle­arly. "
I wish I co­uld. "
"You will... and when this has all blown over ... you are go­ing to be happy. I pro­mi­se you."
"You are won­der­ful, Cla­re, You com­fort me ... as you com­for­ted my fat­her."
I to­ok her dra­ught. It did enab­le me to get a few ho­urs' j I si­e­ep, but I was awa­ke early and I tremb­led to con­temp­la­te what the day wo­uld bring forth.
There was much co­ming and go­ing at the cast­le all du­ring the mor­ning.
I did not go out. I co­uld not be­ar to. Je­an­ne to­ok Ken­dal out wal­king in the wo­ods.
Rollo co­me that mor­ning. He lo­oked very se­ri­o­us but I co­uld not gu­ess what he was thin­king.
Clare, who had be­en in her ro­om, ca­me down dres­sed for go­ing out.
She left us to­get­her.
I sa­id: "Rol­lo, this is ter­rib­le. How co­uld it ha­ve hap­pe­ned?"
"She kil­led her­self. She to­ok the le­ap. You know how uns­tab­le she was.
Why are you lo­oking at me li­ke that? "
He ca­me to­wards me, but I shrank back.
"You are thin­king .. he be­gan.
I did not spe­ak.
He went on slowly: "I know. It is what so­me pe­op­le will think. It's not true, Ka­te. I did not see her at all du­ring yes­ter­day. She went out alo­ne. I was he­re all day."
"You ... you wan­ted her out of the way," I he­ard myself say.
"Of co­ur­se I wan­ted her out of the way. She was stop­ping us ... I knew you wo­uld ne­ver re­al­ly want to co­me whi­le she li­ved. And now ... she is go­ne." He pa­used for a few mo­ments, then he went on: "She kil­led her­self. It was su­ici­de."
"But why? How?"
"Why? She was al­ways sorry for her­self, sa­ying she had not­hing to li­ve for. She has tal­ked of do­ing it many ti­mes ... and now she has."
"I wish ..."
"What do you wish? Are you tel­ling me that you don't be­li­eve me? Say it, Ka­te. Say you think I did it. You think she went to that spot ... as she ge­ne­ral­ly did. You think I fol­lo­wed her the­re."
"Did you ... on­ce be­fo­re ... and find me?" I as­ked.
"Yes," he ad­mit­ted.
"I wan­ted to get away from the cast­le and talk to her qu­i­etly. I al­ways knew we we­re over­he­ard. I wan­ted to me­et her the­re ... alo­ne to talk to her ... to re­ason with her ..."
"And yes­ter­day?"
"I ha­ve told you I did not see her yes­ter­day. Why are you lo­oking at me li­ke that?"
He had ta­ken me by the sho­ul­ders.
"Tell me what's in yo­ur mind," he sa­id.
"I ... I think it wo­uld be best... for all of us ... if I went away."
"Go away ... now that we are free!" The­re was a lo­ok in his fa­ce which frigh­te­ned me. I tho­ught then: He kil­led her. He has to ha­ve his own way.
"It will be dif­fi­cult," I he­ard myself stam­me­ring.
"There will be qu­es­ti­ons ... en­qu­iri­es ... So much is known abo­ut us.
Whispers .. scan­dals ... I sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve sta­yed he­re with Ken­dal.
What will it be li­ke for him he­re? Wha­te­ver hap­pens the­re will be talk. The­re will be this sha­dow han­ging over him. I must get away.
That se­ems very cle­ar to me now."
"No, you shall not go. Now now."
"You ha­ve al­ways ta­ken everyt­hing you wan­ted," I told him.
"But the­re co­mes a po­int when you can­not go on. Pe­op­le can­not be brus­hed asi­de just be­ca­use they ha­ve be­co­me an im­pe­di­ment."
"You're con­dem­ning me as a mur­de­rer, Ka­te."
I tur­ned away. I co­uld not be­ar to lo­ok at him. He was angry now. He had my sho­ul­ders -iga­in and he sho­ok them.
"Is that what you think of me?"
"I know you are ruth­less."
"I lo­ve you and the boy, and I want you with me for the rest of my li­fe."
"And she was in the way."
"She was..."
"She will al­ways be the­re. Don't you see that? I shall ne­ver be ab­le to for­get her lying in that ra­vi­ne ... sent to her de­ath."
"Sent! It was her own wish."
I sho­ok my he­ad sadly.
"There will be ac­cu­sa­ti­ons."
"People are al­ways re­ady to ac­cu­se. Even you, Ka­te."
"Please swe­ar to me that you did not kill her."
"I swe­ar it."
For a mo­ment I al­lo­wed myself to slip in­to his emb­ra­ce and to fe­el his kis­ses on my lips.
But I did not be­li­eve him. Everyt­hing he had do­ne had shown me that he wo­uld al­ways at­tempt to get his own way. Now he wan­ted me and Ken­dal and she had sto­od in the way. So she was now de­ad.
Whatever I sa­id, wha­te­ver I did, she wo­uld al­ways be the­re.
I sa­id: "The­re co­uld be a tri­al."
"A tri­al of whom? Of me? My de­arest Ka­te, this is a ca­se of su­ici­de.
Nobody wo­uld da­re of­fi­ci­al­ly to ac­cu­se me of mur­der. What, he­re . in my own do­ma­in . and the co­untry in tur­mo­il, still strug­gling to set it­self to rights! The­re is no fe­ar of that. "
"What do you fe­ar, then?"
"Only that you will le­ave me. I ha­ve not­hing el­se to fe­ar. She no lon­ger wan­ted to li­ve so she to­ok her own li­fe ... and in do­ing so she has left me free. I had to see you, but I think it wo­uld be bet­ter if you didn't co­me to the cast­le just yet. One of the ma­ids can bring Wil­li­am he­re for his les­sons. This unp­le­asant bu­si­ness will so­on blow over. I shall co­me he­re to see you, Ka­te. Tell me that you lo­ve me."
"Yes," I sa­id, "I'm af­ra­id I do."
"Afraid? What are you af­ra­id of?"
"Of so much."
"In ti­me, we'll bu­ild so­met­hing, you and I. I'll ha­ve what I ha­ve al­ways wan­ted ... one whom I co­uld truly and who­le­he­ar­tedly lo­ve .. and the child­ren we shall ha­ve to­get­her."
"I wish it co­uld be so."
"It shall be. It can be now. I pro­mi­se you."
I wan­ted to be­li­eve him. I tri­ed to for­ce myself to be­li­eve him. I sa­id to myself: We will li­ve thro­ugh the dif­fi­cult days and ahe­ad of us the­re will be the hap­pi­ness which we both want.
But the ter­rib­le mis­gi­vings sta­yed with me and I knew that fo­re­ver she wo­uld be the­re bet­we­en us, the sha­dowy third who­se de­ath had be­en the key to our own de­si­res.
Clare ca­me to sit by my bed that night. She sa­id: "I he­ard you tos­sing and tur­ning and I ma­de anot­her lit­tle dra­ught for you. You mustn't get in­to the ha­bit of wan­ting them, tho­ugh."
"Thank you, Cla­re."
"What did he say to­day?"
"That he didn't do it."
"Of co­ur­se he didn't. She did it her­self " That was what he sa­id. But even if it we­re true, he dro­ve her to it. he and I to­get­her. "
"No. She dro­ve her­self. I've told you so many ti­mes how well I knew her, how she con­fi­ded in me. She saw that it was the best way. She wo­uld ne­ver ha­ve be­en happy. She had de­ci­ded aga­inst ma­king a try to be so a long ti­me ago. In­va­li­dism ap­pe­aled to her. She had a child but she neg­lec­ted him. So­me wo­men co­uld ha­ve fo­und hap­pi­ness in him. I think she saw all that at the end. She tho­ught hers was rat­her a worth­less li­fe and that ot­hers co­uld ga­in so much from her de­par­tu­re from it."
"I knew her too, Cla­re, and I don't think she wo­uld ha­ve re­aso­ned that way. If she wo­uld ha­ve do­ne, why sho­uld she deny Rol­lo the di­vor­ce he wan­ted? No, I think she was lo­oking for re­ven­ge on him. Why sho­uld she ha­ve ta­ken her li­fe to ma­ke it easi­er for him? A di­vor­ce wo­uld ha­ve be­en eno­ugh to gi­ve him his fre­edom."
"Well, di­vor­ce is not con­si­de­red a true bre­ak-up of mar­ri­age in so­me qu­ar­ters. The Ba­ron wan­ted the­re to be no sug­ges­ti­on that his sons we­re not re­cog­ni­zed as le­gi­ti­ma­te ... everyw­he­re."
"But his son is il­le­gi­ti­ma­te."
"When you are mar­ri­ed he'll get him ma­de le­gi­ti­ma­te. That can be do­ne."
"William is re­cog­ni­zed as his son."
"And isn't."
"Oh, it's all so in­vol­ved ... so tra­gi­cal­ly in­vol­ved. I don't think I co­uld ever be truly happy. I sho­uld al­ways see her lying the­re. I sho­uld ne­ver be ab­le to for­get her, and in my he­art I wo­uld al­ways sus­pect that my hap­pi­ness had co­me thro­ugh ... mur­der."
"I be­li­eve you ha­ve con­vin­ced yo­ur­self that he kil­led her."
"Not con­vin­ced ... but- and I wo­uld tell no one el­se but you- I sho­uld al­ways won­der. Ot­hers wo­uld too. It wo­uld be a sha­dow to ha­unt our li­ves. We sho­uld ne­ver be free from her. It wo­uld af­fect our lo­ve for each ot­her. We sho­uld be ha­un­ted ... ha­un­ted, Cla­re, fo­re­ver. I think I ought to get right away. I want to ta­ke Ken­dal with me."
"He will ne­ver be happy away from he­re."
"He will le­arn in ti­me. I shall ha­ve to de­ce­ive him just at first. I think I shall tell him that we are go­ing back for a ho­li­day ... let him think that we are co­ming back he­re."
"And you will co­me back?"
"No, I shall try to start af­resh. I shall find so­mew­he­re in Lon­don.
Rollo must ne­ver know whe­re. I can't go back to Col­li­son Ho­use with you. I shall ha­ve to ha­ve so­mew­he­re whe­re Rol­lo can­not find me. "
"If.he did, he wo­uld per­su­ade you that what you are do­ing is wrong."
"Do you think it is wrong, Cla­re?"
"Yes, I do. You ha­ve a right to hap­pi­ness. You can be happy. You lo­ve him. I know what he did to you. I know the sort of man he is ... but he is the man you lo­ve. Ken­dal ado­res him and he is his fat­her.
He'll ne­ver be happy away from him. He is too old to get over it now.
He will al­ways re­mem­ber and ye­arn for him."
"He must for­get... in ti­me."
"I tell you he will ne­ver for­get his own fat­her."
"He didn't know he had one for a long ti­me."
"You are con­temp­la­ting do­ing the wrong thing. You sho­uld ta­ke what hap­pi­ness is of­fe­red you. The­re will be a dif­fi­cult ti­me to fol­low, per­haps, but that will be for­got­ten and then you will co­me in­to yo­ur own. I long to see you as Ma­da­me la Ba­ron­ne ... and Ken­dal happy .. and lit­tle Wil­li­am ... he'll be ove­rj­oyed. You sho­uld be happy, Ka­te.
We're put in­to this world to be happy. I pro­mi­sed yo­ur fat­her that if ever it was in my po­wer to ma­ke you happy. I wo­uld do everyt­hing pos­sib­le."
"You ha­ve, Cla­re."
"Yes, I ha­ve. And now you are tal­king of thro­wing away this chan­ce. I want to see you happy be­fo­re I go."
"Dear Cla­re, you are so go­od. You ca­re so much for ot­hers ... and ma­ke the­ir prob­lems yo­urs. But I know myself, and I think I know best abo­ut this. I am ne­ver go­ing to be happy with this sha­dow bet­we­en us."
"Because in yo­ur he­art you be­li­eved that he kil­led her?"
"I can't stop myself. The do­ubt will al­ways be the­re. I can't li­ve with it. I ha­ve ma­de up my mind. I am go­ing to start af­resh."
"He will ne­ver per­mit it."
"He won't know how to stop it. I want you to help me. I am go­ing to slip away... qu­i­etly. And then I shall lo­se myself in Eng­land.
Somewhere whe­re he will ne­ver be ab­le to find me. "
"You will let me know whe­re you are?"
"When I ha­ve fo­und a pla­ce I will wri­te to you at Col­li­son Ho­use, but you will ha­ve to pro­mi­se to ke­ep my sec­ret. Will you?"
"I will do anyt­hing for you, you know."
"Then you will help me now?"
"With all my he­art," she sa­id so­lemnly.
When I awo­ke in the mor­ning I was cer­ta­in I had co­me to the right de­ci­si­on, tho­ugh I had ne­ver felt so un­hap­py in the who­le of my li­fe.
I re­ali­zed only now how de­ep my fe­elings for this man had go­ne. The­re wo­uld ne­ver be anot­her in my li­fe. I wo­uld de­di­ca­te everyt­hing to my child, but I knew that he wo­uld ne­ver for­get and per­haps con­ti­nue to bla­me me for ta­king him from the fat­her he had grown to lo­ve and ad­mi­re mo­re than an­yo­ne in the world. And when he no lon­ger saw the Ba­ron, I knew that the pic­tu­re he re­ta­ined of him wo­uld grow mo­re and mo­re splen­did.
I saw the we­ary ye­ars stretc­hing ahe­ad, be­reft of joy. I must start a new li­fe. The plan was be­gin­ning to evol­ve. 1 must ma­ke my way to Lon­don, find lod­gings the­re un­til I co­uld find a stu­dio in which to work. All I had to re­com­mend me was my fat­her's na­me. That co­un­ted for so­met­hing. But wo­uld the suc­cess I had had in Pa­ris ha­ve be­en he­ard of?
That was what I had to dis­co­ver. So I must slip away from he­re sec­retly. I won­de­red how I was go­ing to get Ken­dal to co­me with me.
He was no lon­ger a small child- in fact he was old for his ye­ars, and al­re­ady I co­uld see Rol­lo in him. But I had to find so­me way of get­ting him to le­ave qu­i­etly. Cla­re wo­uld help me.
One thing was cer­ta­in. Rol­lo must not know, for if he did he wo­uld do everyt­hing he co­uld to pre­vent me. But I must go. Of that I was cer­ta­in.
I wal­ked ro­und the mo­at and lo­oked at the cast­le. I wo­uld re­mem­ber it al­ways in the ye­ars to co­me. The­re wo­uld be a per­pe­tu­al ac­he in my he­art and a lon­ging for so­met­hing that ne­ver co­uld be.
Marie-Claude de­ad had dri­ven as big a rift bet­we­en us as she ever had ali­ve.
My tho­ughts we­re in tur­mo­il when I re­tur­ned to the Lo­ge. It se­emed qu­i­et and empty. Ken­dal and Je­an­ne we­re not the­re. Nor, it se­emed, was Cla­re.
I went up to my ro­om to ta­ke off my clo­ak and the­re lying on my bed was an en­ve­lo­pe ad­dres­sed to me. It was in Cla­re's handw­ri­ting.
Puzzled, I to­ok it up and slit the en­ve­lo­pe. The­re we­re se­ve­ral she­ets of pa­per in­si­de.
I re­ad the ope­ning words. They dan­ced be­fo­re my eyes. I co­uld hardly be­li­eve I was not dre­aming. I se­emed to be plun­ging de­eper and de­eper in­to night­ma­re.
My de­arest Ka­te [she had writ­ten], I ha­ve be­en up all night trying to work out how to do what I must do. I re­ali­zed when we tal­ked last night what I had to do. It se­emed that the­re was only one way.
Marie-Claude did not com­mit su­ici­de. She was mur­de­red and I know who kil­led her. "
Let me exp­la­in to you. I ha­ve al­ways be­en the sort of per­son who had lit­tle li­fe of her own. I al­ways se­emed to be on the ed­ge of things lo­oking in. I lo­ved he­aring of pe­op­le's li­ves. I lo­ved sha­ring them.
I was gra­te­ful to be ta­ken in and al­lo­wed to. I grew so fond of them.
I ha­ve be­en de­eply fond of many pe­op­le. no­ne li­ke you and yo­ur fat­her tho­ugh, be­ca­use you bro­ught me right in­to yo­ur fa­mily . you ma­de me one of you . and ga­ve me mo­re of a li­fe of my own than I had ever had.
I do want you to un­ders­tand me. I know you think you do, but you don't re­al­ly know the es­sen­ti­al part of me and you ha­ve to if you are go­ing to un­ders­tand how everyt­hing hap­pe­ned. We all ha­ve hid­den pla­ces.
Perhaps I ha­ven't any mo­re than an­yo­ne el­se.
When I was yo­ung I had no li­fe of my own . The­re was only my mot­her's.
I was with her all the ti­me . re­ading to her . tal­king to her . to­wards the end do­ing everyt­hing for her. She was very ill and suf­fe­red a lot of pa­in. I lo­ved her de­arly. It was hard watc­hing her.
She wan­ted to die but she co­uldn't. She just had to go on lying the­re suf­fe­ring, wa­iting for the end. It is un­be­arab­le watc­hing so­me­one you lo­ve suf­fer, Ka­te. I tho­ught cons­tantly of how I co­uld al­le­vi­ate her pa­in. One night, I ga­ve her an ext­ra do­se of the pa­in­kil­ling me­di­ci­ne the doc­tor had gi­ven her. She di­ed pe­ace­ful­ly then. I didn't reg­ret it. I knew I had do­ne the right thing. I was happy be­ca­use I had do­ne that and sa­ved her from the ter­rib­le nights of pa­in.
Then I ca­me to you and you we­re all so warm­he­ar­ted and you ac­cep­ted me in Evie's pla­ce and you se­emed to be so fond of me. I lo­ved the li­fe.
It was so dif­fe­rent from what it had be­en. I was fond of ever­yo­ne in the vil­la­ge. Such ni­ce go­od kind pe­op­le . par­ti­cu­larly the twins.
I was drawn to them . ma­inly be­ca­use of Fa­ith. Po­or Fa­ith, she wasn't happy, was she? She was al­ways af­ra­id. I sup­po­se we all ha­ve a cer­ta­in amo­unt of fe­ar in us, but Fa­ith had a do­ub­le sha­re 'be­ca­use she had her sis­ter's as well. I knew she was very un­hap­py and tri­ed to hi­de it be­ca­use she didn't want to spo­il everyt­hing for her sis­ter.
Did you know at one ti­me Ho­pe al­most de­ci­ded not to marry be­ca­use she knew it wo­uld bre­ak that clo­se tie bet­we­en her­self and her twin? She was des­pe­ra­tely wor­ri­ed abo­ut how Fa­ith wo­uld get on wit­ho­ut her. They we­re li­ke one per­son. Well, Fa­ith wasn't happy. Ho­pe wasn't happy . but when Fa­ith wasn't the­re, Ho­pe co­uld be. They used to con­fi­de in me, both of them . so I saw the pic­tu­re from both si­des.
There was that spot, you re­mem­ber. Rat­her li­ke the one he­re. That dan­ge­ro­us drop. What was it cal­led? Brac­kens Le­ap? Well, I tal­ked with Fa­ith. We wal­ked to­get­her and we tal­ked and we tal­ked . and the­re we we­re lo­oking down. I didn't plan it. It just ca­me to me that it was the right thing to do. And it was. Ho­pe is very happy now.
Those lo­vely child­ren she's got, they are char­ming. It's such a happy fa­mily. And they vi­sit the grand­pa­rents, and all the tra­gedy is for­got­ten now . be­ca­use joy ca­me out of it. Fa­ith is for­got­ten now as you wo­uld ha­ve for­got­ten the Ba­ron­ne.
Then the­re was yo­ur fat­her. He pre­ten­ded to co­me to terms with his blind­ness, but he ne­ver did re­al­ly. I knew him so well and I knew how sad he was. On­ce he bro­ke down and told me what the loss of his sight me­ant to him.
"I am an ar­tist," he sa­id, and I am go­ing in­to a dark, dark world. I shan't see anyt­hing . the sky . the tre­es . the flo­wers and you and Ka­te and the boy . " I knew his he­art was bro­ken. I knew that to ta­ke his eyes away from an ar­tist was abo­ut the most cru­el thing li­fe co­uld do. One day he sa­id to me, " Cla­re, I'd be bet­ter off de­ad. " Then I knew what I had to do. I re­mem­be­red how easy it had be­en with my mot­her.
And that brings me to the Ba­ron­ne. She wasn't happy. She ne­ver wo­uld ha­ve be­en. She lo­oked in­ward all the ti­me . to her­self. She didn't see an­yo­ne but her­self very much. That po­or lit­tle Wil­li­am . he was so neg­lec­ted and un­hap­py . un­til you ca­me with Je­an­ne and Ken­dal.
What wo­uld he ha­ve grown up li­ke? But he will ha­ve a chan­ce now with you the­re. And the­re is Ken­dal. He wo­uld ne­ver ha­ve be­en happy away from his fat­her. He's a strong, way­ward boy. He ne­eded a fat­her. And the­re's the Ba­ron he ne­eds you, Ka­te. He ne­eds you to show him how to li­ve. He didn't know how to . un­til he met you. If you left him he wo­uld go back to what he was . blus­te­ring thro­ugh li­fe . was­ting it, re­al­ly. No, he ne­eds you mo­re than an­yo­ne. And then, my de­ar, de­ar Ka­te, the­re is you. I lo­ok upon you as my da­ugh­ter. I know I am not much ol­der than you but I mar­ri­ed yo­ur fat­her. I mar­ri­ed in­to a fa­mily . and I lo­ok upon it as mi­ne. I am de­eply fond of you, Ka­te. I think mo­re than anyt­hing now I want you to be happy with yo­ur fa­mily . with yo­ur work . Oh, li­fe can be so go­od for you.
You be­long to­get­her . you and the Ba­ron. You must be to­get­her now, ot­her­wi­se it will all ha­ve be­en in va­in. That is what I want. It is the very re­ason why I did what I did.
I wal­ked out the­re to me­et her. We tal­ked. We lo­oked at the vi­ew. It was easy. I just had to to­uch her and she was go­ne.
That brings me to my last mur­der and when you re­ad this it will be do­ne.
Perhaps I sho­uld not ha­ve in­ter­fe­red. We are not sup­po­sed to ta­ke li­fe, are we? But wha­te­ver I did, I did it for lo­ve. I did it to ma­ke a bet­ter li­fe for pe­op­le. That must be rat­her an unu­su­al mo­ti­ve: Lo­ve so de­ep and sin­ce­re that it le­ads to mur­der.
Be happy with yo­ur Ba­ron. Te­ach him how to li­ve. Ken­dal, I know, will grow up in­to a fi­ne strong boy now. And you will do everyt­hing you can to ma­ke a happy li­fe for lit­tle Wil­li­am.
Remember, Ka­te, all I did was do­ne for lo­ve.
I drop­ped the let­ter and sat sta­ring in­to spa­ce. Cla­re had do­ne this!
I co­uld not be­li­eve it . and yet lo­oking back everyt­hing slip­ped in­to pla­ce.
My po­or Cla­re, who had al­ways se­emed so qu­i­etly sa­ne, was sick. Her mind was un­ba­lan­ced. It must be if she be­li­eved that she had the right to ta­ke li­fe. And she had be­li­eved that.
"It was for the­ir go­od and the go­od of ot­hers," she wo­uld say. And I co­uld see how she con­vin­ced her­self of this. It was true that she had ca­red de­eply for ot­hers, and she had kil­led tho­se whom she had lo­ved.
How tra­gic it was! She, Cla­re, had as­su­med the Di­vi­ne po­wer to act and even if she be­li­eved it was a be­ne­vo­lent po­wer, she was still a mur­de­ress. I wis­hed that she had tal­ked to me. I wis­hed that I co­uld ha­ve hel­ped her, ma­de her un­ders­tand that the­re are no cir­cums­tan­ces when mur­der must be com­mit­ted. But it was too la­te now.
I ma­de my way to the cast­le.
He was the­re and I threw myself in­to his arms.
I sa­id: "I know now. I ha­ve it he­re. I know what hap­pe­ned ... exactly. I want you to re­ad this now ... to tell me that I am not dre­aming."
He to­ok the let­ter and I watc­hed the ama­ze­ment spre­ad ac­ross his fa­ce as he re­ad.
Then he lo­oked at me, long and ste­adily, and I won­de­red how I co­uld ever ha­ve tho­ught of le­aving him.
We ro­de out to the ra­vi­ne to­get­her. Cla­re was lying the­re with a swe­et se­rap­hic smi­le on her fa­ce.

This file was created with BookDesigner program
bookdesigner@the-ebook.org
28.2.2009