S O L 4 6 6

THE ARES III crew were all gathered together in the rec-room. Johanssen and Maia sat together at one of the dining tables; Vogel and Beck sat together on the window sill; Martinez sat alone on top of a dining table; Commander Lewis stood by him. Commander Lewis had called them all in to discuss their assignments, all of which the crew seemed to lag behind on. It was quite difficult for them all to keep up, however, as everything that had been going on since once again leaving for Mars was far too much to deal with among everything else.

"It's no secret that we're all behind," Commander Lewis let out a sigh, "Vogel, what's your status?"

"The cable on VASIMR 4 has been repaired," he answered her. "The power outlet from the reactor is declining, however, so that could possibly cause more bad than good."

Commander Lewis turned to Johanssen. "What's with the reactor, Johanssen?"

"The cooling vanes aren't radiating heat the way they're supposed to," Johanssen muttered and sipped at her coffee. There was nothing she wanted more than to get to her room and go to sleep. "They're tarnishing."

"They're outside of the Hermes," Commander Lewis said, her tone filled with agitation. "What is there for them to react with?"

Maia shrugged and hugged her thermos closer to her. "There's a strong possibility they've picked up a bit of dust from the Hermes. The clogging of the micro-lattice from the tarnishing of the vanes increases the reduction of the surface area, which means that there's not enough heat dissipation throughout the ship."

"That's why I limited it enough so that we weren't getting positive heat," Johanssen added.

"Well, can the vanes be fixed?" Commander Lewis asked Maia.

"I'm not so sure," Maia furrowed her brows, "The vanes are usually replaced after each mission."

"Can we maintain engine power for the duration of the mission?"

"Depends on the rate of tarnishing," Johanssen answered.

Commander Lewis looked at Beck. "What about life support?"

"We've been up here much longer than the Hermes was designed to handle, so we're lagging a bit in the life support department," he began. "Normally, every mission critical system and is replaced and updated after each mission, so there's a chance we're looking at a few breakages over the next few weeks. As of right now, however, we should be okay."

"Of course, things are going to break," Commander Lewis chuckled lightly, "We have NASA to assist us when the time comes, but right now we need to stay on top of maintenance. Martinez, what's the problem with your bunk room?"

Martinez looked at Commander Lewis. "My climate control isn't keepin' up. It's gotta be the cooling tubes, but I can't get to them, because they're built into the hull."

"Why don't you just move into Mark's room?"

"Has the same problem," Martinez said. "It's right next to mine."

"Then where have you been sleeping?" Commander Lewis cocked a brow.

Martinez chuckled lightly, his eyes flashing to the floor then back to Commander Lewis. "Uh, Airlock–Airlock 2."

The whole crew was surprised by the news, not to mention a bit startled.

"What?"

"Are you serious?"

Martinez only laughed. "It's the only place I can go without anyone tripping over me."

Maia simply shook her head at her friend and brought her thermos to her lips. She could only listen as her crew-mates continued to scold Martinez for his rather ignorant and deadly decision to sleep in the airlock.

"Do you realize how crazy that is?" Vogel exclaimed. "If one seal breaks, you die."

Commander Lewis only shook her head and started across the room. "From now on, you sleep in Beck's room."

Beck looked up at her with a surprised expression on his face. "Where am—where am I gonna sleep?" He let out a quiet chuckle.

"With Maia," Commander Lewis answered him coolly.

Maia nearly choked on her drink. "W-what?"

"T-that's. . .uh. . ." Beck couldn't even conjure up anything to say to Commander Lewis. He was far too flustered.

"Cut it out, Beck," Commander Lewis said to him. "It's a small ship. I know everything."

Beck laughed and bowed his head before glancing to Maia, who looked away from him to look at Commander Lewis. "Are you mad?" she asked.

"If this were a normal mission, you would've broken about thirty rules," Commander Lewis said to Maia.

She didn't even have the time to respond before Martinez began his assault.

"And a couple world records," he exclaimed as he ran over to Beck.

Johanssen and Vogel laughed at Martinez. Commander Lewis shook her head. Maia placed a palm over her face in slight embarrassment. Beck could only laugh his embarrassment off.

"Give me five," Martinez said to Beck.

Beck smacked his hand quickly and Martinez moved onto Commander Lewis, who, of course, left him hanging.

"This isn't exactly a normal mission," Commander Lewis said with a laugh. "So long as it doesn't interfere with your duties, I'm okay with it."

Martinez and Johanssen then smacked each others hands, and Martinez moved to Maia, who was still very much trapped inside her embarrassment.

"C'mon, you're gonna leave me hanging?" Martinez smirked at her.

Maia grinned and rolled her eyes before smacking Martinez's hand.

"Forget the mile-high club," Martinez laughed loudly, "The million-mile-high club is where it's at."

Maia shook her head and took a sip of her drink. "Shut up, Martinez."

"No, really, how does it feel—gettin' down in space?"

"Guess you'll have to figure that out yourself," Beck said to him.

Maia looked at Commander Lewis, who was, surprisingly, amused by the situation. "How'd you know?"

Commander Lewis smirked and pulled her feet into the seat with her. "I've always known how Beck felt about you, but up until the incident with the transponders, I always thought it was only one-sided, so I never said anything. It was when you were getting your stitches out that I realized you two were an item," she explained to Maia.

Maia and Beck exchanged glances with one another before looking back to Commander Lewis.

"And you never said anything about it?" Beck asked her.

"Didn't see the need," Commander Lewis shrugged, "Maia was struggling with Mark, and you were the one there for her; you were the reason she was able to continue her work for the mission and uphold her emotions, at least around the rest of us, that is. If that hadn't been the case, you two would've been in major trouble."

"Well, that's good to know," Maia muttered.

Johanssen snickered from Maia's side. "This is the best conversation this crew has ever had."

"I wonder what Mark's gonna have to say about this," Martinez chuckled.

"He's very, very happy about it," Beck snorted.

Martinez's mouth fell open. "So, you told him about you two? Man, I can't wait to get him back; the two of us have so much to talk about and make fun of, and you guys' relationship is just the start of it all."

"Great," Maia responded sarcastically.

"'Great' is right, Little Watney."

_____

CHAPTER CREDIT: ANDY WEIR