Chapter TEN

Amy felt nervous as she heard the carriage door close. She watched as Nathaniel took the seat across from her... and her cousin. Christa sat in the carriage, trying to appear as invisible as possible. After finding out that the duchess had indeed left Amy with a group of suitors the other day, her uncle had forbidden the woman from going to the play and then had forced her cousin to attend with Amy. Christa did not look happy, though not even a frown could distract from her beauty. She wore a pale pink dress that made her look soft. Amy felt bad for her cousin, but was unsure how to help her. Amy herself was dressed in a gold gown and another shocking piece from the exclusive seamstress.

The carriage was underway when Nathaniel said, "You look beautiful."

Amy looked at him, sure he was talking to Christa, but found his eyes on her. She swallowed, "Thank you, my lord."

Nathaniel's eyes were dark. Then they slid to Christa and softened, "Lady Christa."

Christa's eyes slid over to him.

He nodded his head. "You look beautiful as well." The words were filled with truth, though lacked the passion he'd had for Amy. He was trying to make her feel better... and it worked.

A gentle smile touched her lips. "Thank you, my lord."

He smiled at her, "I'm sure every man's eye will be on you tonight."

Christa laughed and turned away, blushing. Then she looked at Amy and said, "Well, I'm sure many men will look at Amy as well."

Something flashed in Nathaniel's eyes and then he said, "They wouldn't dare."

Christa smiled at him and then leaned over and whispered so only Amy could hear, "You're a lucky girl."

Amy knew. She smiled at Nathaniel, trying to thank him with her eyes. He winked at her, and she felt her heart leap. What did she have to do to have this man forever?

Be yourself.

They'd been Wardington's words the other evening when she'd snuck off to see him in preparation for tonight.

More than anything, it's important that he see the real you, for it was you who first caught his eye.

So, tonight Amy would be herself... and hoped she'd survive it.

Inside the theatre, their coats were taken, and that was when Amy was really able to show off her gown. As Nathaniel predicted, no man dared to glance at her longer than what would be appropriate. Apparently, word had gotten around about Nathaniel's performance at the duke's home. Every man had been warned off, which hadn't made Amy happy at all. What if she couldn't convince Nathaniel to see her as more than a mistress? What if she was never good enough in his eyes?