Chapter Twenty one.

IF it works the photo is of Delia.

Maggie went two weeks without telling Jake what she knew about Artemis being pregnant, but knowing that Artemis could change her mind any minute was driving her crazy. If Artemis told him before Maggie did then the ball was in her court and deep down Maggie knew Jake deserved to know.

It was clawing at her insides and screaming in her brain until she didn't think she could take much more, she didn't have to. She was cooking dinner for her and Delia when he knocked on the door to her apartment, she pulled it open and with one glance at him she knew.

"Maggie...."His voice broke.

"She told you." She sighed heavily.

"Baby....I....I'm so sorry."

She shrugged and forced a smile, she knew that Artemis would end up telling and a small part of her was relieved that it was out in the open.

"Well, that settles it." She said.

"No, no."He stepped forward taking her in his arms.

"Jake, don't."

"This doesn't have to change anything, we can still be together."

"I don't want to be your secret, Jake. I don't want to be the girl you're sleeping with behind her back. It's not fair."

He leaned down sealing his lips over hers, it was a distraction technique and she knew it but she let him distract her for just a few moments. She savored his kiss, the way his body felt against hers, the way he tasted. Then she pulled away from the last time.

"I want you to be the man I know you are, you're a good man."

"No...don't...don't say that."

"You are, you're a good man and a good father. That baby....is going to need you."

"I can be a father and not be with it's mother....I can...I can do it."

He was arguing but she saw it in his eyes and heard it in his voice that he knew she was right, he wanted to be with that baby and she knew it. Letting him stay with her was only going to hurt more people, Artemis still didn't know about them and she didn't need too.

"Go back," She said gently.

"She hasn't asked me too...I..."He was going argue.

"Jake....just go back. We both know that's what you want."

"I don't know what I want," He said, his voice pained.

"Artemis never has to know about us, just....you owe that baby to give it a try."

He leaned down resting his forehead against hers, holding her against him. She bit her lip to hold back tears, she wanted to beg him to pick her, beg him to stay but she wasn't selfish she never had been. Maggie lived to make sure her loved ones were happy that included Artemis, Jake and her niece and nephew and the new baby.

"I'm so sorry Maggie. It was a one night stand on a weak night, I didn't think...."He trailed off.

"I'm a big girl, Jake." She pulled away slightly.

"I know that but..."

"Hey, it's okay. It's not like........like we're in love or anything," She forced the words out with a shrug.

He winced at her words but gave a small nod, his arms dropping from her body. He took a step back but didn't leave.

"I wish I could do it over," He said.

"It was an honest mistake."

"No, I mean...all of it."

"I'll see you around," She said, needing him to leave.

He took the hint, leaning forward he cupped her chin and pressed a quick gentle kiss to her lips. Then he slowly pulled away and with a heavy sigh exited the apartment. She pushed the door closed behind him, sliding the lock in place she turned leaning her back against the wooden door.

She wasn't sure how long she stood there staring at the ceiling hoping she could hold the tears at bay but she was snapped back to life by the sound of water boiling over. She hurried across the room grabbing the pan to move it from the stove, effectively burning her hand.

"Damn it!" She cried, throwing the pan and the contents onto the floor.

She turned sinking to the floor, her back against the cabinets and her knees pulled up to her chest and that's where she was when Delia came.

"Mags, you'll never guess what happened...."Delia breezed in the door took one look at Maggie and froze.

Her purse slid off her shoulder, dropping to the hardwood floor with a heavy thud.

"Oh, Maggie."

Maggie glanced up at her sister, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand even as she sobbed harder. Delia hurried across the floor, dropping to her knees and pulling Maggie into her arms.

"Shhh, it's okay." Delia soothed.

Turning she buried her face into Delias neck and sobbed.

When she'd cried all she could and had nothing left Delia led her to the bed and then rushed for the first aid kit. She carefully bandaged Maggies hand while Maggie lay on the bed.

"He had to go back," Maggie said.

"No, he didn't."

"Dee...."

"I'm so sure that he loves you," Delia said.

"He never said that."

"He doesn't have to."

"They're having a baby...."Maggie said, feeling near tears again.

"I know." Delia leaned forward to kiss her wet cheek.

Finishing with the bandage Delia released Maggies hand and she pulled it to her chest, tucking herself into the fetal position.

"What did you need to tell me?" Magggie asked, turning her attention Delia.

"It will keep."

"No, tell me."

"It'll keep," Delia said.

Maggie fell silent, her chest ached, throat raw, she wanted to cry more but had nothing left. So she fell silent.

"Scoot over," Delia said, nudging her.

Maggie moved to the edge of the bed as Delia kicked off her shoes and climbed in behind her, when they were younger Maggie always climbed in bed with Delia anytime she was hurt, scared or sad and even as an adult having her sister there now soothed her some.

Just as Maggie began to drift on the edge of sleep Delia spoke.

"I'm sorry....Maggie."

"Me too," Maggie said with a sigh.

The sisters fell silent and in the darkness Maggie struggled to let Jake go.