Twenty Eight: Ventotto [re-written 26/05/21]

[RE-WRITTEN]

It had been two weeks since Liliana had been living at the Barbato mansion. In that time she had been spending nearly every day with Sophia - when Sophia didn't have classes, but even then sometimes Liliana accompanied her to look around the campus, trying to envisions herself as another student worrying about trivial things such as deadlines and overdue projects. Mostly Liliana and Sophia would spend their days going out to eat, and meeting with some of Sophia's friends who had welcomed her into the group with open arms. Thankfully, none of them had mentioned the security detail that followed Liliana at all times in public, one Barbato had been kind enough to arrange for her. While she needed her freedom from Marcello, Liliana was not stupid enough to forgo protection entirely. She was still a granddaughter of Valentino Fiorenza, and, as much as she wished to deny it, the wife of a feared Italian-American mafioso. 

Liliana hadn't spoken much about Marcello to Sophia, and Sophia hadn't pressed the issue. Liliana hadn't seen Marcello at all since he had left her with Barbato, and she had sparingly had any contact with him via phone. It was always through text that they spoke, never through calls, and it was only the odd, strained message throughout the day. But, Liliana knew if she wished to keep this freedom for much longer, she could not ignore Marcello, she would have to keep in touch, however small. 

At first it had started when Dr Isaac had called with the results of her tests. There had been no problems, all her results were negative, he just advised that she slept well so that her recovery could be faster. She wasn't sure why she had sent Mercello the message, he had most likely already been informed - the doctor had probably even rang him first. His response had been quick and abrupt - a simple 'Good.' - but it had been oddly followed by him asking about her plans for the day.

It was a simple enough question, though unexpected, and while Liliana knew it was most likely his way of keeping tabs on her - those last ounces of control he refused to relinquish - she imagined it was also to give him peace of mind. If they were messaging then he knew she was well and safe and in no need of his help or interference.

It had been just over a month, since Liliana became a wife to Marcello. As strange as it was, this was the best state their relationship had been in such a short time. Though, she supposed it would prove hard to argue with someone if they weren't actually there. 

Liliana sighed, suddenly not liking the direction of her thoughts. It would do her no good to dwell on the first month of her marriage. Her situation had changed now, Mercello had showed signs of change and it wasn't fair if she continued to dredge up past issues. Her focus should be on the present, on how she would move forward with her life, and whether or not that life included a husband.

"You okay?" Sophia asked from beside her, as she drove them to the gym Sophia usually frequented. Liliana had never learned to drive in Italy, always chauffeured around by her cousins, and found herself a little envious of Sophia. 

"Yeah... yeah I'm good, just still a bit tired," she murmured, eyes drifting to the black screen of her mobile. She still had heard nothing from any of her other cousins, or her aunt, or grandfather and since Roderigo had disappeared two weeks ago, he had not responded to any of her messages. 

She missed her family, and it hurt to know how easily they had pulled back from her. The silence between them was painful. It felt as if she had been abandoned by all she had known and loved, and on the heels of such abandonment, came her father's lies and betrayal.  It seemed now, all she had left was Sophia - and in some sense, the D'Onofrio's.