chapter.1

Chapter One

HEAVY arms weighed Ava down as she woke up with the urge to pee. After struggling to escape, she turned to look at the person responsible.

Lucas was always a deep sleeper so even after Ava poked him on the arm and cheek several times, there was no response. She squirmed and tried to pry his arm off from stomach. They were lying on a small single bed so they were pretty close together. It wasn't that comfortable thus Ava always preferred Lucas' bed. He was on his front while Ava was on her back, staring at the ceiling, trying to hold in her pee.

He groaned. Finally a reaction! But then, pulled her closer so he was practically on top of her and his head was nuzzling her neck. "Lu Lu!" She whined, shaking his body, "I have to pee."

Reluctantly, Lucas released her from his hold, letting Ava jump out of bed and run into the bathroom. He always does like cuddling so Ava had to deal with this nearly every morning. They were best friends so being so affectionate wasn't weird for them. Ava was used to being around Lucas and vice versa. They're practically joined at the hip ever since Lucas saved Ava from falling off a tree.

She remembers the day but it isn't completely clear. It was 12 years ago that marked the start of their friendship.

Flashback

Ava's mother and father had taken them on a long car ride, apparently going to Disney Land. Next thing she knew, they were at a park. With no Mickey Mouse.

"You do it." Her mother told her father. She sounded persistent, not the usual loving voice she had.

Her father seemed stressed, running his hand through his brown hair and it appeared he hadn't shaved in days. He usually looked after himself well. "What do you expect me to do? We can't just leave her here! People will see her!" He stressed, while Ava held on tightly to his hand, looking at the exchange in words with no idea what was happening.

Looking around the area, it seemed her mother was lost for words until she looked up and her eyes widened. "Quick! Put her in the tree!" She pointed up at a collection of branches connected to the tree they were currently taking shade under.

Ava decided she wanted to go home. Her usually calm and collected parents were scaring her slightly. She tugged on her fathers arm bringing his attention to her with a frantic look in his eyes. "Go home?" Ava asked quietly.

"N-no princess." He picked her up and rested her on his hip like he always did. "We're going to play a game! Isn't that right mama?"

She saw her mother quickly nodded her head, her blonde curls flying everywhere, looking excited for this game. "Yes we are. You are going to climb that tree- "

"With the help of me." Her father interrupted when he saw the scared look on his precious daughters face.

"And then we will hide and come get you later. Sound fun? Yes! Let's do it."

This did not sound fun and she wanted to go home but her parents seemed like they wanted to play so she played along, even if they did like boring games.

Flashback ended

And that's how Ava found herself on a tree in a park without her parents. For the first few weeks, she thought her parents were still coming to get her but soon she gave up because admittedly, she liked her life with Lucas. After that, it didn't take long for her to realise her parents didn't love her. They abandoned a four year old alone in the park. Parents who love their child don't do that. But, she doesn't hold a grudge. If her parents never left, she would never have met her best friend whom she couldn't imagine life without.