thirty one

Thump thump thump

I could feel the drums in my heart, as I sat dressed in my wedding gown, waiting for the ceremony to start.

To be honest, I was still partly in a state of disbelief. Despite going through all the wedding preparations, I still found it hard to believe that a few hours later, I'll be married to Ethan.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror. I had on a full face makeup and my hair was pinned up neatly in an intricate updo.

"Ms Stewart," an attendant called out to me from the door. "Please come this way, the ceremony is about to begin," she said in a friendly manner.

Taking a last look at the mirror, I exited the waiting room.

"Are you feeling the jitters?" The attendant whose name was Sally asked gently. I nodded with a nervous smile. "Don't be, you look absolutely beautiful today," she said as she squeezed my clenched hands. "Thank you," I gave her a small smile. I was grateful for her words as she helped ease some of my anxiety. "Any minute now," Sally gave me a huge smile as she wished me on my marriage before leaving.

The large wooden doors in front of me swung open and I could hear the orchestra playing the classical wedding songs.

My father, dressed smartly in a suit, came to my side as he escorted me down the aisle.

They say every girl dreams of her wedding day. I won't deny that I once dreamt of it when I was younger, but now that my dream was playing out in front of me... There were no words to describe how I felt.

I could feel every pair of eyes on me, but despite the attention, my eyes were only on one person. A certain brown-eyed man with a handsome grin. The same man who would be my husband.

Ethan had his dark hair swept up neatly, his hair retaining its place with the use of wax. He looked handsome in his black tuxedo and I could see his sincere gaze fixed at me.

I could hear the snapping of cameras and guests cheering but the sound of my heart was the most prominent of them all.

"I'll leave my only daughter to you now, love her well," my father patted Ethan's shoulder as he placed my hand in Ethan's and I felt my heart grow warm.

"We have come together—" the pastor started.

*

"I, Ethan Ford take you, Xael Stewart for my wedded wife, To love and cherish, For better or worse, for richer or poorer, In sickness and in health. From this day forward," Ethan voiced his vows as he squeezed my hands that were in his warm ones and I could feel my eyes water.

It was my turn to say my marriage vows. "I, Xael Stewart take you, Ethan Ford for my wedded husband, To love and cherish, For better or worse, for richer or poorer, In sickness and in health. From this day forward," I said my vows and the pastor blessed the rings before Ethan and I exchanged them.

*

"You may seal your vows with a kiss," the pastor said and Ethan cupped his hands on my cheeks before leaning in for a short but sweet kiss.

*

The wedding ceremony was over and Ethan and I were back in our suite. It had been a long day and we were both pretty worn out. "Honey," Ethan called and I felt my heart skip a beat as he came over and laid down on my lap. "What did you call me?" I asked, my voice soft. "Honey," Ethan repeated his term of endearment to me and I couldn't contain my smile. It was the first time someone called me that.

"I didn't know you like it that much," Ethan chuckled as he played with my fingers, eventually lacing his own long, slender ones through mine. I stuck out my tongue and turned my face the other way to hide the oncoming blush. "Are you blushing now?" Ethan teased as he turned my face to him.

"You should get used to such things wifey," Ethan smiled as he continued teasing me. I tried to suppress my smile as an idea came to me.

Cupping both of Ethan's cheeks, I stared deeply into his and I could sense that he was a little taken aback when I gave him a peck on his forehead. No, I wasn't done. I then gave him another peck at the tip of his nose before stopping at his lips.

Just as Ethan thought I was going to kiss his lips, I asked, "why are you puckering your lips like a duck? What're you expecting?"

Ethan's eyes snapped open in an instant and I could see a tinge of pink on his cheeks. "You have to get used to this, hubby," I teased him back and he shook his head laughing. "You shouldn't play hard to get wifey, you're already mine," Ethan smiled as he tried to tickle me but I escaped before he had the chance to do that.

"If you can catch me," I stuck my tongue at him before running into the living area.

"Come back here wifey!" Ethan shouted behind me as we had a mini game of cat and mouse.

"Don't think of running," Ethan breathed into my ear as he wrapped his arms around my waist, chucking. He's too fast for me. I shook my head and conceded, "you win."

"We're married huh..." Ethan voiced out and I nodded, "I guess we are."

"I'm glad that you are the one," he smiled as a smile made its way up my face. "I'm glad that you are the one too."

I can't stop myself from smiling whenever I think back on the first time we met. Never would we have imagined... Although everything started out as a contract, I'm glad that it became so much more than that.

-the end-

Hey lovelies! I'm so sorry that I took so long to finish this chapter. My exams had just finished and there, a chapter for you guys:) I'm really thankful to the readers who were patient as you all waited for this chapter, I really appreciate you guys. This is the last chapter in The Marriage Contract and I hope you guys enjoyed it. Ps: I don't have much experience with weddings, if I made any mistakes in the description process, please do correct me. Lastly, I hope you all enjoy this chapter, as well as the whole book<3 love you guys!