vingt- deux

She was tired, slumping in her spot against a rock- a thick blanket wrapped around her and Mr. Darcy curled in her lap peacefully. It was dark, the forest silent and filed vast before her. She was uncomfortable, everything about this placed reminded her of nothing but bad memories of how this had all started.

She felt like James and Victoria were to arrive at any moment, causing a horrible turn of events to unravel. With a newborn army at their doorstep, she was expecting something horrible to happen.

The Cullen's were dispersed around them, talking in low whispers. Jasper stood tense, Alice sitting by a tree near her pouting at not being able to see what was to come anymore.

It hadn't taken her long to recognize the baseball field when she arrived, wondering if it was some sort of joke that they would train here. Victoria knew this place, she had been here with James when he decided to start on a hunt- Andy was expecting a flash of red to be seen speeding past them at any second.

Paranoid, her brain supplied the word to her easily, teasing her for feeling scared around so may people that would never dare to see her hurt.

Suddenly, Alice looked up tongue sticking out in the direction of someone across the field. Andy looked up, squinting in the dark she caught sight of Edward and Bella making their way over. She jumped up, cradling her kitten to her chest and pulling the blanket close.

Feeling much more awake now than before, she skipped over to her sister- calling her name when she got close enough for the girl to hear.

"Why did you bring your cat?" Bella asked incredulously, squinting at the cat.

She shrugged, petting the kitten lovingly. "Mr. Darcy hasn't had the chance to get out in a while."

"Do you have the leash?" Bella asked, moving closer to her sister, and slipping under the blanket. "Because I will not chase after your cat if he gets away."

She nudged her sister with her elbow, sticking her tongue out at her. "Don't be ridiculous! Mr. Darcy would never run off, he's too well behaved," Andy sniffed, scratching behind the cat's ear. "But yeah, I have the leash."

The elder girl laughed, hooking an arm around her sister's neck and kissing the top of her head gently. They sat together, Andy watching as Jasper moved around stretching his arms like he needed to limber up.

"Hey Edward," Emmett greeted. "Hey Bella. Is he gonna let to practice too?"

Edward groaned, lowering himself so he sat with the girls on the ground. "Please don't give her any ideas."

He large boy laughed, turning to face the other girl. "How about you Andy?"

She looked away thoughtfully. There wasn't much she could do physically, she was petite and far too skinny to actually pose much of a challenge- Bella was much the same in those regards. Though she still held an advantage- one that she was not yet able to yield as she pleased.

"Maybe, I'm still upset with Quil so maybe I'll go through with it to return the favour," she told him, dismissing the conversation.

She received a few glares from the family, only Emmett and Rose finding her petty behaviour amusing. She had spent the night with them for the most part, even having them accompany her to the training field.

From the moment that she fled up the stairs, she took sanctuary with the couple knowing that Rosalie would angry with her about their stupidity no matter if she truly did. Rose valued human life above most everything, never wanting to watch a person gamble it away. To the girls, it was like they were playing on a fine line- gambling with their lives.