Chapter 2

My eyes flutter open as blurred colors turn into clear objects of my bedroom. What time is it? I don't remember even falling asleep. I turn to my side and read my clock.

8 am. Shit.

I scramble out of bed and quickly wash my face, brush my hair, and pull on a pair of jeggings and an army green shirt that falls loosely off my shoulder. I dab on a little makeup, and in a matter of 5 minutes, I'm running down the stairs and out the door.

"Would you like some--?"

"Not now mom! Gotta go!"

I pull up to the school parking lot in my old red Nisan with 7 minutes to spare. A sigh of relief escapes my lips. I may usually take awhile to get ready--this morning as an exception--but I'm never late.

Stepping out of my car, I power walk through the parking lot, passing the occasional face-sucking couple or ego-hungry jocks comparing their muscles in a circle, like it's a ritual or something. But at least the weather is nice; I can feel a warm breeze graze my face and play with my hair. The trees dance with the breeze, and the birds chirp a spring melody.

I pull myself from my day dream, realizing I have Physics 1st hour; I cannot risk being late. I pick up the pace. However, my plans are changed as I'm ripped off the stairs and swiftly pulled into an alley way in between two co joining school buildings. I clench my eyes shut and start to scream, but my mouth is quickly silenced by a large hand.

"Shut it, clutz."

My eyes shoot open and my face cringes in disgust as a pair of stabbing green eyes cut through me.

"Mmmgmgmd" I mumble, unable to get anything out clearly.

"Hmm what was that? I can't hear you love." Damon mutters with a trace of foreboding laced within his breath.

I stare blankly at him, trying to look completely apathetic. He removes his hand, but keeps me pinned by my wrists.

"What in God's name do you think you're doing?" I ask.

"Making you late," he replies with a snicker.

"Why?"

"Because I can."

"You're an ass."

"Again with the mouth," he chuckles, leaning in closer.

My breath hitches as his teeth graze my neck. I try to free myself but there's no use.

"Let me go...please," I vomit out the please.

"That's better," he releases me, "White."

"It's Scarlett."

"It's whatever."

Damon glares at me and this is the first time I actually notice him fully. He's wearing a grey Pink Floyd shirt that hugs his chest, exposing his toned body, a dark blue plaid flannel, and black jeans. The light reflects off his face, casting a shadow on half of it. His wavy dark hair flops to one side as he cocks his head.

"Enjoying yourself?" he asks.

"Don't you wish," I spit back at him.

I turn on my heel and walk off. I can hear his chuckle as I'm leaving, but I don't look back. Damn it he really is attractive, but his awful attitude ruins it. I look down at my iPhone.

8:35. I loathe him.

•••••••••••••••••

The lunch bell rings and I exit my 4th hour. I walk down the hallway, consumed in my thoughts. Students everywhere surround me, but I feel like I'm alone, like my footsteps are louder. TAP TAP TAP, my combat boots resound through the hall, bouncing off the walls. Why me? Why did he chose to mess with me? This has got to be some unknown karma I'm paying for.