PRACTICE: Details & Descriptions

This part will also have some Q&A and other exercises to apply to your book.

Don't feel pressured to answer every single one, but try to challenge yourself! There's no judging here. This is a safe space.

Remember, the point of this guidebook is for you to improve and not feel the need to seek out an editor (at least not until you are one stage away from finally publishing your work!).

Please don't ruin it for yourself and look at the answers others have posted. How will you learn if you do so?

Good luck!

Exercise

1. Make this sentence more clear and concise:

Ron can deduct the $23,000 for the cost of the pool at the new home as a medical expense.

2. Make this sentence less wordy:

There are many ways in which a student who is interested in meeting foreign students may come to know one.

Apply to your work

1. Write a scene with the protagonist focused on one detail five times with each time centered around a different sense (sight, sound, smell, touch, taste).

When Writing Description

1. What does the reader need to see and feel of your world, of your characters' world?

2. What does the reader need to know to make sense of the events of that world?

3. What would the reader like to know? What is he wondering about?

4. Which details will make him feel like a native, as comfortable with that world as your characters are? Which details create boundaries that hold the world together, contained, and keep everything that's other outside the story?