six

It was safe to say the mission in Egypt was a disaster.

Oscar hadn't been expecting such a massive slipup from the team that went. Lucky and Kai were supposed to be the responsible ones. Danai, while a bit of a wildcard, wasn't an idiot; she knew when to follow orders.

And Emily wasn't a bad leader. Sure, she could be a bit aggressive and bullish, but she had good instincts and even better judgment. The mission should've been easy for them.

When Oscar had seen the news report a few hours before Emily's team returned from Egypt, he couldn't believe his eyes. Even though they managed to capture Sandstorm and his accomplice, who turned out to be a Prime herself, too much damage had been caused. There were at least three casualties and even more injuries.

Part of the altercation had been caught on a few phone recordings. A car had been hit with one of Emily's arrows, sending it careening into a building. The grainy footage displayed the wreck—and the bodies on the ground.

When Emily and her team arrived back at The Acropolis, Oscar knew they would be in for an earful from Director Shaw. The man rarely got angry, but things were getting serious now. This whole PRA situation had begun to make everyone tense. Nervous. Anxious.

With the United Nations general assembly coming up in a few days, the last thing they needed was another botched mission.

Sighing, Oscar changed the channel on the television in The Acropolis' common room. Chase, Stella, Andre, and a few of the new recruits were sitting around him.

"We were watching that," Andre said with a deep frown.

"Yeah, well, it was bumming me out," Oscar replied.

Before Andre could say anything back, someone's phone chimed.

Chase glanced at his cellular device and groaned. "Oscar, Stella, Andre. Let's go."

Oscar squinted at the blond. Without seeing the screen, he already knew what was on it. Shaking his head, he stood up and walked over to the exit with Andre.

Zach, the thirteen-year-old speedster who Theo had claimed as his protegee, arched an eyebrow at his team leader. "Where are you guys going?" His verdant eyes lit up. He zipped over to Chase in a flash of neon green. "Can I come? Can I come? Please?"

Chase ruffled the kid's hair and smiled. "Sorry, bud. Director Shaw called for us and only us."

The boy pursed his lips and returned to the couch. "How come I never get to do anything cool? I've never even been on a real mission yet."

"You're still in training, Zach," Stella reminded him.

Oscar grinned at him. "You'll get your chance soon enough, Greeny."

"It's Neon," Zach corrected with a scowl. "I hate when you call me Greeny."

"That's why I call you it."

Chase shook his head at both of them. "Alright, let's go. Don't want to keep Director Shaw waiting."

The four of them said their goodbyes to the others in the common room and made their way to Director Shaw's office.

#

"We're going to New York!?" Oscar beamed at the blue-eyed man sitting at the desk on the other side of the room.

Director Shaw rubbed his wrinkled forehead and sighed. "Yes, Oscar. You guys are coming with me to New York."

"Alright!" Oscar turned to his friends, who were visibly less excited than he was. "Why is no one else pumped? We're going to New York!"

Hidden Enemies | The Prime Archives #2 ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें