02 | Forgetting First Impressions

AFTER SPENDING morning in a stuffy clinic, that last thing Jasmine wanted to do was go to her AP European History class. But of course, her mother would know right away if she skipped, thanks to her aunt being the new vice principal of her high school.

The topic was often a tense one at the Karesh house, with her dad threatening to move countries if they ever had another encounter with Bianca, while her mother kept quiet only for Jasmine and how much she loved her aunt.

She was jumped when Selena Astor threw an arm around her. "How was the session? Did she blame it all on daddy issues or something?"

Jasmine shrugged, unable to laugh at her best friend's attempt at cheering her up. "She tried her best, which I appreciate. It must've been hard considering I made it quite clear that I didn't want to sit there with her, chatting about something that happened over eleven years ago."

Selena offered her a sympathetic look and was about to respond when her eyes landed on a striking man who was jogging toward them, staring at him with an expression Jasmine couldn't quite place. Evan Sloan broke into a grin when he joined the pair, pushing Selena's arm off of Jasmine and replacing it with his own. "Long time no see, Jas. Summer school was no fun without my favorite goody-goody and her little sidekick. What a great way to end summer, though. I finally get to see you both."

Evan shot Selena a tense glare when she kicked him in the shin. "You missed us– don't even deny it. Your sarcasm doesn't trick me, Ev," she said.

"It tricks Jasmine though. I'm surprised she's still so gullible considering her best friend is the devil incarnate." Even though the topic was turned to Jasmine, the two kept watching each other.

"I am not gullible!" Jasmine cried, a smile playing on her lips despite herself.

"Whatever. What matters is that we missed each other and now we can suffer through a day of school together to make up for it."

Evan's cheery voice faded into white noise when Jasmine looked around campus. She could feel someone watching her, but there was no one to fear at her high school. She couldn't shake off that feeling and she kept a wary eye out for anyone that wasn't too familiar, trying not listen to her gut instinct telling her to hide under her blankets.

Pushing off the feeling as a side effect of her conversation with the psychiatrist and consequently, not being in the right state of mind, she continued walking with Evan and Selena. She tried to assure herself of one simple thing: in this school, surrounded by her best friends, she was safe.

Throwing both her arms around Evan and Selena, she forced a smile toward them both. "Ready for our first class of the year? I'm sure we'll love History."

"AP European History," Evan corrected with a groan. "Not regular history, not Honors History, not even AP American History. I, being the idiot I am, decided to take the hardest course this school offers. Why did I choose this again?"

"Because you're too smart for anything beneath this class, Ev," Jasmine retorted with a chuckle.

"That makes sense. But see if I'm so smart, good-looking, and kind, why hasn't my non-existent girlfriend finally tried to meet me?" he asked, pouting at his two best friends, puppy dog eyes and all.

Selena snorted. "You're such a child, Evan. I know it must feel terrible to be the only football player without a girl to parade around in your jersey, but there's no need to cry about it."

He rolled his eyes. "It's because I'm a football player and not a douche. Most girls find that extremely off-putting. Just by existing, I'm breaking every stereotype ever, so the ladies are much too scared that it's just a facade to lure them in. Good guys are a huge topic of suspicion these days." He shook his head and continued, "But hey, I'm not worried. Why should I think about those girls when I have a beautiful backup plan right here?" He winked at Selena and wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her close.