Murder in the Cemetery

Wilma Cheek was described as a top-notch homemaker and active member of her church

Wilma Cheek was described as a top-notch homemaker and active member of her church. She was a loving wife to Albert Cheek. Her sister, Debra Bray, said the Wilma's housekeeping was impeccable. Even still today, people pour out their love for Wilma on forums and social media describing her as humble and caring.

On October 30, 1995, Wilma followed a normal morning routine. Around 7:30 that morning she put her daughter on the bus for school. Later police would speculate, that other than her killer, her daughter was the last person to see her alive. At about 10 o'clock Wilma spoke on the telephone with a friend.

Merely an hour later, a local cemetery caretaker would make a horrifying discover

Merely an hour later, a local cemetery caretaker would make a horrifying discover. Upon noticing a 1989 gray Pontiac, the caretaker went over to check on the vehicle. Inside was Wilma Cheek unresponsive.

Wilma had been shot multiple times, including in the head,  inside of her vehicle

Wilma had been shot multiple times, including in the head, inside of her vehicle. Experts put Wilma's time of death between 10:30 and 11:00 that morning. They believed that Wilma may have gone to the cemetery to mediate or pray since she was a spiritual person.

Investigators later disclosed that money was missing from the vehicle, but that they did not believe that this was the motive for the murder. Wilma's autopsy revealed that she had not been sexually assaulted, ruling this out as the motive for the crime. With little evidence in the case, Indiana State Police investigators keep as much information close to the vest.

After Wilma's death, Wilma's family partnered with others put up a $25,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest and conviction. Wilma's father and sister also hired a private investigator to research the case.

Meanwhile, less than a year after Wilma's death, Albert Cheek remarried. Many newspapers at the time used this to paint the man in a bad light. Simply remarrying does not constitute guilt. Does it look odd from the outside? Maybe. More compelling is that it has been reported that Albert was asked to give an interview with the Indiana State and refused. Again, this doesn't constitute guilt. He may have refused simply because he felt the investigators are trying to twist the evidence to fit their theory. We will never know.

Other theories about Wilma's death of bounced around the rumor mill of the small town where she lived. At one time, people thought her murder was part of a ritual. This thought most likely popped up because her death occurred so close to Halloween. Indiana State Police Officer Bob Abbitt stated that the theory had no merit.

Anyone with any information is asked to call the Indiana State Police at765-778-212. Tips can be made and kept anonymous. Tips can be emailed to coldcases41 (at) is.in.gov

------------------------Sources--------------------------------------------------

Case Overview. Indiana State Police. http://www.in.gov/isp/2923.htm

"Lack of Evidence Stalls Investigation." Palladuim-Item. Richmond, Indiana. October 1996.

"One Year Later: 'The Murderer is Still out There.'" Palladuim-Item. Richmond, Indiana. October 1996.

"Police Investigate Cheek Slaying." Palladuim-Item. Richmond, Indiana. March 1996.

"Sister: 'It's Still Fresh in Our Minds.'" Palladuim-Item. Richmond, Indiana. October 2009.

"State Police Seek Help in 20-year Old Murder Case." Fox 59. Jim Scott. October 25, 2015. http://fox59.com/2015/10/25/state-police-seek-help-in-20-year-old-cold-case-murder/

"Who Killed Wilma Cheek?" WBIW 1340 AM. October 26, 2015. http://www.wbiw.com/state/archive/2015/10/who-killed-wilma-cheek.php