iv || BEFORE HE CHEATS

[EDITED]

Four months since their deaths. Four months is a long time if you have the time to think about it. So many missed memories or possible opportunities to hug Hannah and Beth again... But, other than mourning over my friend's deaths, it was the last day of school today—and in a few days I am turning 19.

Today we were going to be over at Mike's. Emily decided to do a little picnic event over there, and Mike said we would do a little grilling. It's all the usual girlfriend-boyfriend stuff, and like always, I'm just the third wheel tagging along.

We were in Emily's car. She was driving and I was lying down in the back seats just for fun.
In no time my sister noticed what I was doing and was complaining about it,

"Ess, sit up and put your seatbelt on! You're going to get me a ticket!"

I rolled my eyes, "A ticket to what? Mike's bedroom?"

My sister gasped, and she most likely broke the brake from stepping on it so hard. Emily turned her head, fast as an owl towards me and gave me what Chris says is the 'Grumpy Cat.'
I use social media like the rest of the kids in my grade, and in my school, but I'm just a tad bit outdated.

"Front seat. Seat belt. Now," Emily growled.

She sounded like some sort of beast, and afraid that she would stomp on me like the car brake, I scattered to the passenger seat and buckled up.

After a few minutes of silence, I questioned with a pitched squeak, "Where are we going?"

"We're going to the store," Emily kept a straight face while driving.

Every now and then we stumbled across a street light, where we had to stop. Most of the time we were in the car the lights were green, but it didn't matter. The atmosphere was awkward. It was more tension in the room than when in theatre class someone forgot their line. Except for this, there was no improv to keep the conversation going. Just two sisters who argued and don't want to speak to one another.

It felt like an eternity before we reached the grocery store. As Emily shut the car off, I grabbed my little white purse and unbuckled. The both of us got out of the car and we were walking next to each other at a steady pace.

"Alright, so just get any fruits. Mike should be grilling hot dogs and hamburgers. I'll go get the chips and drinks," Emily commented coldly.

I didn't even nod to her, because I was dashing to get a cart and rushing to the fruit aisle so we could get out of here. When we usually go to the store together, it takes hours because Emily is indecisive about what she wants.

I was pacing as if I was going to a class. When the cart I was pushing got fast enough, I jumped onto the little bars by the back wheels that supported the item holder. I was doing it often until I came across the fruit aisle, and somehow, it was busy. The fruit aisle wasn't the busiest place to be, but it wasn't a cemetery.

To start, I piled in some pineapples and watermelon. On my way through the aisle, I snatched up pears, apples, and peaches. To be honest, I thought it was good enough.

Then I spotted the grapes and oranges. With the under average heavy cart, my heart launched towards the grapes and oranges. They were my favorite fruits, and somehow I ended up with three Cuties bags and four grapes; green colored and eggplant colored. Oops.