Chapter 13- Disco Stick

That song is my life anthem.

_______

The emancipation request went as well as a blowjob. In other words, it sucked. Carlisle was immediately in arms, face frosty and cool as he lectured me about how I wasn't ready for a life by myself, how ungrateful I was being to them, how everything was because of them yada yada yada. 

I was grateful to him, just not the frostbite foot he called his wife. Carlisle was now muttering to himself, moving to sit back down behind his desk. A flash of sadness went across his face, before it became buried under the layers of professionalism and layer-dom. 

"Can I ask what has brought this on?" He murmured, hands steepling on his lap. 

I exhaled slowly, running a hand through my hair. "I'm a selfish person Carlisle- which I'm sure you know. I want to leave this...'family' and do something by myself. Become who I was meant to be without yours and Caroline's expectations stifling me."

I met my gaze with his, "I want to leave this town. And I want to show the world what I've got." 

He raised a perfect eyebrow, cynicism clear in his icy eyes. "And what exactly do you have to show the world, Circe?" 

More than your condescending ass. 

I cleared my thoughts and my throat, unwilling to tell him just what I was capable of until I was permanently separated from them, legally. 

"I've got more than you ever thought I had." 

His lips pursed as he considered my words, knowing every word of them rang true. Carlisle was the warmer of the two- no matter how fucked up that was- and did believe in me for a while. I just think he was worn down by his wife and gave up fighting her views. 

Gave up on me. 

He turned in his chair, allowing his back to face me before speaking. And his words were sadder than i had ever thought he was capable of feeling. 

"If I let this happen...will you think better of me?" 

My answer was strong. "Of course." 

There was a few minutes of silence before he finally responded, still not willing to face me. "Okay. Will I be seeing you for dinner, Circe?"

I checked my phone, seeing Vincent's text. 

"Not tonight. I'm...sorting out some things tonight." 

He nodded, still looking out at the city. I frowned, walking up to him and kissing him on his cheek, even as he stiffened. 

And for the first and last time in my life, I said two words I never had before. 

"Thanks, dad." 

He stayed silent, in the same position, as I left the room, gently closing the door behind me and wiping away a tear that had fallen against my will. 

___

Vincent sat across from me, holding a mug of coffee as he stared into it deeply. 

"I'm sorry." I murmured, looking down at the table. Vincent had been quiet the whole time I spoke, taking everything that I said with no judgement. Even when I told him I was going to be leaving- emancipation or not- and would be going without any relationships. 

Leaving where I could start anew and focus on building myself. 

Regaining confidence instead of the bravado I constantly put up. 

Vincent ran a hand through his hair,  a soft grin on his face as he gave me a forced chuckle. I tried not to cringe at the sound of it, especially when he smiled to brightly that his eyes nearly shut. 

"Don't be sorry Circe! Everyone needs to focus on themselves once in a while." He shrugged a shoulder, giving me a wink. "But we had some good times, didn't we?"

We both knew he was forcing it out- we both knew his feelings were stronger than mine- but we both couldn't help it. 

You couldn't force feelings. 

I leaned forward, grabbing his hands and giving him my trademark smart-ass smile. "Whatever girl you end up loving will be the luckiest girl in the world. And when you find that girl, or are finding that girl, I'll be here. Not the girl who got away, but the girl who helped you find your way." 

His eyes crinkled, and he squeezed my hands. "Are you sure you're a maths genius? That sounded pretty Nicholas Sparks-y to me."

I let go of his hands, muttering my disgust. "Ugh. That pussy-footed romance writer?" There was nothing more cringeworthy than that man's books and his movies. Other than A Walk to Remember. That movie and book ripped my heart out, stomped on it, then made me drink it with my tears. 

Ah, good times. 

He scoffed, sitting back and folding his arms. "I can't believe you just said that. That man gave me basically all my moves."

I raised a brow, sitting back too. "I guess that explains why they sucked then."

He winced, but started laughing when I requested a cup full of ice from the waitress. The air turned serious again and I tilted my head, looking into his beautiful emerald eyes. 

If anything, he'd be the one that got away. 

And I didn't know if I would regret this or not. But no one ever did something great without sacrificing something important too. And my sacrifice could be the possible greatest love of my life. 

"Thank you Vincent. For...being there." 

The edge of his lips quirked up, and he mirrored my position, something shining in his eyes that I didn't-couldn't acknowledge. 

"Anytime C. Even when you're off changing the nerd world, just remember i'm here. I'll still be ready to...be there."

___

Short chapter, but just needed to crank this out so I could get onto her new chapter in life. (AHA, puns)

Ty for reading.