Epilogue

(unedited)

Veronica got what she deserved, she is being taken hundreds of miles in the opposite direction that I am heading in. She was sent out this morning, right after her sentencing. She had a blindfold put on her and off her and one of the leaders named Nick went.

Rick is disappointed in himself; he handpicked Veronica to be a leader. He put his trust in her and stood there as she took the leader vow. That is to never harm another person in the centre, to always put the people first and to be loyal. She didn't do any of those things. He feels betrayed because he was lied to and he feels like it is his fault that this happened to me. But he must know that he's not suppose to protect me anymore.

I have a backpack on that is full of clothes, valuables and food on my back, I'm about to leave when Rick stops me to say goodbye.

"Your mother would be proud of you," He says with a small smile. I nod and I hug him. I don't really believe that my mother would be proud of me, I am one of the monsters that caused her death. "And I know you don't believe me Alexandra but it's true, your mother would be proud that you are doing something to help all the remaining humans. You are ensuring that what happened at the centre seven months ago won't happen again"

"Thanks Rick, Thank you for being like an uncle to me. You have been there for me more times than I can count so if you ever need me I'll be there. You send someone and I'll come" Rick nods and I notice that he is trying to hold back tears. "I'll miss you"

"I'll miss you too" He replies and I hug him. As I'm hugging Rick I notice a boy with light brown, short, wavy hair. This boy was my first kiss and the boy that was my best friend. I pull away and walk towards him, I have a feeling that this won't be the last time that I see him.

"So you came to say goodbye"

"I knew if I didn't then I'd regret it" He looks sad but I think he knows and has accepted that he can't come with me.

"I'm sorry" I say and before he can say anything, I continue. "I shouldn't have said those things to you, you have been nothing but good to me"

"I get what you were doing Ali, it's ok" He says. He takes my hand and pulls me into a hug. "I will miss you ok," He says into my ear. I pull away and kiss him, it is quick but I know that what he needs from me. He looks generally surprised. "What was that?" He asked.

"A promise" I reply. "A promise that I will see you again"

And with that I leave with Luke, Fidelis and the five dreads. We get in three packed cars and drive in the direction that we need to go.