One Million Project Interview

This is an interview with the  OneMillionProject team in line with this anthology. I thought I'd share this with you guys too so that you can get to know me better. That is, if you want to!

1. What made you want to become a writer?

When I was in fourth grade, my father gave me my very first pocketbook. It was one of the books from the Nancy Drew series. Although getting that particular present disappointed me at first – because surely we did enough reading at school – I quickly grew addicted to the joy of reading. I consumed books from dusk 'til dawn until my parents complained that I no longer had a life. From reading, I discovered the beauty of words and their ability to move hearts. I wanted to have that ability to create so I started writing my own poetry at the unused pages of my notebooks from the previous school year. Poetry became essays, then blogs, and now, I'm attempting to write novels.

2. Have you written any other books that are not published?

My story on Wattpad entitled A Room for My Pretend Love is my first book. I've just completed writing it and it was such a great learning experience for me. It may not necessarily be my best work, but nonetheless, that story is dear to my heart.

3. What is your writing style? Pen, type writer, or computer, etc.?

I mainly type on my computer because 1) I don't own a typewriter and 2) my handwriting is illegible. When I'm on the go, I type ideas on my phone.

4. Do you write alone or in public? With or without music?

It doesn't matter whether I'm alone or in public, but it has to be quiet. I cannot write with music on, especially when the music has lyrics. That's because when I write, the words appear in my mind and when there's music on, that drowns out the voice in my head.

5. Does your story have a lesson? a moral?

I believe that almost all stories have a moral. Perhaps it's not always obvious, but a good story usually has some truth or message that the writer wishes to convey. This holds true for my story. I don't want to write about something that leaves the readers with nothing. When people read what I write, I hope that it helps them realize some things about life.

6. What is your favourite part of the story?

My favourite part is perhaps the end, when Jaejoon rediscovers his music and through it, his self. I am a naturally optimistic person and that part echoes my own perspective in life.

7. If you could spend time with one character from your story, who would it be, and what would you do with them?

Well, there are only two characters in my story so I don't have much choice. If had to choose between Jaejoon and Aine, I'd choose Jaejoon because I've always wanted to meet a Korean superstar.

If we were to take into considering A Room for My Pretend Love, then I would love to spend time with Devin because he's an absolute sweetheart. <3

8. What character in your story are you least likely to get along with?

I guess Jaejoon as well, particularly at that point in his life when he let the fame get to his head. I cannot stand people who think that they live a step above others.

9. What do you read for pleasure?

These days, I mostly read novels on Wattpad, fan fiction that involves my favourite Korean celebrities, and manhwa (Korean comics).

10. Who are the authors/artists who inspire your work?

Perhaps the author that has inspired my work the most is Paulo Coelho. His words have a lyrical quality to them that I find so beautiful. Plus, he always pushes forward a unique perspective towards life that opens my eyes to certain truths and realities. Other works that inspire me are Pablo Neruda and Marget Atwood's poetry.

11. What is your favourite book? Why?

Well, it's hard to choose, but probably Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and 11 Minutes by Paulo Coelho. Both books have greatly affected my views on love and relationships and have helped me get through some tough times.

12. Why did you decide to participate in the One Million Project?

It's a privilege for me to be part of this community of writers who work towards making a positive contribution to the world. If something that I do out of love can help other people, then it's all the more meaningful.

13. What do you do for a living?

My official title is "global marketing operations manager," but essentially I do marketing for a technology company in China.

14. What are your favourite things to do when you aren't writing?

When I'm not writing, I'm watching Korean dramas, exploring the world, and sampling different cuisines.

15. Do you have any plans to continue writing in future?

Yes, yes, and yes!