Chapter 9

Manti inspected the warriors he had selected for the scouting mission to the Paea village, and then Oranta's stone structure. They were all loyal to him, he knew, and would not compromise this mission to check on Unaki, to see if she was willing to come back to the village to face trial or live out the rest of her days in exile with only P'li as a companion. Was there something going on between them?

Anyway, Manti knew that his political rivals were outmaneuvered, at least for now. He could see it in their body language; no matter what, angry faces are universal, and so are postures of fury. He smiled, knowing that none of the warriors he picked were in the pay of these men. He could rest easy.

The departure was delayed, but for a good reason. Kame also walked up and down the line of warriors, brushing them with palm leaves dipped in palm oil, a Teo-only ritual to bless the warriors and give them the power of the Gods. Just in case. Kame chanted, brushing the palms over their tattoos on their chest, legs, and face.

"I just need you to find Unaki," he repeated. "If she refuses to come, you must respect her decision, and tell her that she is to live out her days in exile. If she agrees, you must bring her back alive so she can stand trial. Is that understood?"

"YES, CHIEF MANTI!" they cried like US Marines.

"If, and ONLY IF she attacks you, you are allowed to defend yourself," he continued. "None of you are to engage combat, understand? Because I WILL find out!"

"YES, CHIEF MANTI!"

"Excellent! Now move out!"

There was no departure or farewell ceremony or haka. The warriors turned and left the village, carrying their weapons and supplies for the possibility that they could be gone for some time. The Teo knew their home island like the back of their hands, but anyone can get lost on the island. It is larger in size than you might expect, and tribal control only extends to about the island's middle before the only government is hyperlocal self-governing villages that have resisted tribal authority for years. That and all the nooks, crannies, forests and ruins dotting the topography meant it was easy to hide.

But they were positive they were going to find Unaki. And they were also positive it was going to go on without a hitch.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Unaki was waiting for them.

As she and P'li got accustomed to the destroyed village, she would spend hours sitting in her old hut, making potions, experimenting with spells, and perfecting her magic. P'li would try to talk to her, but she dismissed him, telling him to be prepared should the Teo come for them. It didn't scare her as much as it did for P'li.

He was terrified.

The stories told of traitors who got what they deserved. Let's just say "drawn and quartered" is tame compared to what the Teo did to the worst traitors. Technically, he wasn't going to get the worst of it, just imprisoned should he come back.

That's still not good, of course.

"Relax," Unaki said as he began to pace about. "They are not going to cut you open."

"HOW DO YOU KNOW!?"

"Just tell them you do not want to return," she said. "They will likely leave us alone."

"How. Do. You. KNOW?"

"Be. Cause. They. Are. Not. Fools." She replied. "We will only fight back if they attack us, remember?"

"Yes, yes, yes," P'li replied. "But what about the haoles?"

He didn't see it, but Unaki quietly growled and clenched the dirt. "They are not to be of concern," she said.