3B. The First Time 'They' Met

Eva

"I'm sorry" those were the first words my mate spoke to me.

------

He opened his mouth to continue, but stopped midway. He gripped his hair in frustration.

All I could do is stand there like a stone and look down in daze as moonlight sparkled on him; soft locks kissing his neck, the helplessness in his dangerously beautiful eyes, the perfect shadow that his nose made and the way his lips moved, trying to form words.

"I'm sorry" again

Is this what my friends feel when they look at their mates?
Is this what they are going to feel for the rest of their lives?

"I'm sorry" and again

This is what I'll be longing for. Knowing what it feels like to be complete, how am I supposed to live the rest of my life incomplete?

He now looked resolved to talk "I......I have practiced this conversation so many times over in my head" he sighed "I still don't know what to say...... I'm sorry"

His 'sorry' was bleeding my ears. I could feel the treacherous tears making their way out of my eyes; I didn't want to show him my emotions. My face remained stoic.

His eyes fired up at my tears. I could feel him holding on to the last thread of sanity. He couldn't look away from my tears; he looked visibly in pain.

That gave me a strange pleasure mixed sorrow. My wolf was howling inside me but I was pleased to see that I wasn't the only one suffering the moon goddess's joke.

It was ironic that I realized at that moment that Liam was right all those years ago; the wolf and the human do want different things.

"She......I love her" I closed my eyes "And she's pregnant"

"I know how much you are saddened by the idea of me being your mate. You fainted" he looked sad "And rightly so, you deserve to have a future and a mate who loves you. I'm sorry that you ended up with such a cruel fate"

He looked at me, pleading "Say something"

I bowed deep to the alpha in him and turned around to leave when he grabbed my hand and stood up

"I said say something for god's sake" he yelled

I turn back to look at his hand holding mine, a cold current waved through my body and ended up as a tingle in my toes. I curl my toes to suppress a moan.

He let go off my hand

I looked into his eyes "My wolf" I said with no emotion "she wishes to meet him once......just once" my voice was merely a messenger of my wolf.

He looked shocked, that was not what he expected. Did he expect me to beg for his acceptance?

His wolf let out a growl. He nodded, not taking his eyes off me, he moved back before shifting right in front of me.

He was glorious, clearly the biggest wolf I have ever seen. Although I've seen him before, looking at him now brought a different kind of pleasure. I wanted to touch his matted golden fur, nuzzle my nose deep inside the fur of his neck and stay in his arms for the rest of the night. His dark eye glowed, taking in my desire. He felt it.

He was walking towards me with eager strides. That brought me out of my trance. It was his wolf who was in control; he perhaps wouldn't like me touching him. And I didn't want to give him the pleasure of knowing that I wanted him too. I'll let him believe that it was all, my wolf's calling.