The Broken Hourglass - Chapter One

Question guys,  do you all find it easier if SANDS OF YORE: THE BROKEN HOURGLASS was posted here instead of by itself?   If not, here is the first chapter for you, and if you think it'd be better here then I'll start.  (This is the revised version of the first chapter)  

Enjoy!

xxx

 WITHIN THE HEALER'S chamber Bes, Pharaoh of Egypt laid with a thin sheet of sweat coating his sun-kissed skin, which was unusually pale. A cool cloth was placed upon his fevered brow to attempt to bring him some relief, all medicinal herbs used for fevers were used, but it did little for Bes. His eyes were closed and his breathing was shallow; barely noticeable. It had only been a few days since he had fallen ill that many of the servants and higher nobles staying within the palace was fearing the worse.

Bailey was certain that it was only the flu, but she knew that if his temperature got any higher...

Well, she didn't want to think about it.

And being without medication from her own time, she too, feared what everyone else was.

There had to be some way to bring his fever down, Bailey wondered, brows knitted together in concentration and wracking her brain to think of some sort of solution that could be used to treat this ailment. Unfortunately nothing came to mind.

Bailey knew well what it felt like to be helpless, she wasn't able to do anything to put her mother's suffering at ease before she passed, or to even cure her, but this was so damn simple. If they were back in the twenty-first century...

Eyes welled up with tears and Bailey shook her head slightly.

She truly felt helpless.

Bailey couldn't lose him too. She couldn't.

"Mother, do you believe that father will survive this ordeal?" Nine year old Ivyanna asked, reaching for her mother's hand and grasping it gently. "Is there naught we can do for him?"

"You far too wise for your age, my daughter." Bailey commented lightly, her lips curving upwards slightly. She sighed, "Unfortunately not, Ivy. Your father needs for us to be strong, to pray that the Gods will bring him back to good health, and to be there for him. He has, since I had met him, became a changed and better man. This Kingdom needs the reassurance of their Pharaoh as does this family needs the reassurance of the father. Do you understand?"

Ivy nodded, her beautiful light-coloured eyes filled with tears and she swallowed the lump that formed in her throat. Bailey realised that any child as young as her own two were far too young to experience the pain, stress, and sorrow that sickness, and even, death brought. Even if it was a part of life, it didn't help to ease the ache in her heart and it made it worse upon thinking of her family going through it. Bailey very much wished she could do anything to spare her daughter and her son the pain but she knew that she could not. 

After a moment of silence, Ivy asked the question that was on everyone's mind; "What shall happen if the Gods will not spare him?"

After an excruciatingly long pause, Bailey replied, voice cracking as she did so. "Then that is the will of the Gods. As much as I hope to shield you from such things of this world, unfortunately, death happens. As for what will take place if such tragedy arises, we will deal with anything that crosses our paths. But please, don't think of such things, have faith that your father will heal."
Bailey gritted her teeth as she fought to remain in control of her emotions, to not shatter anyone's hope that their King will survive, but the Queen couldn't help but add to herself, I'm not ready to say another goodbye...