sea, swallow me - finis.

"You were the one who taught me," he said

"You were the one who taught me," he said. "I never looked at you without seeing the sweetness of the way the world goes together, or without sorrow for its spoiling. I became a hero to serve you, and all that is like you."

Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn

I look at my cell phone, and smile to myself

It's been a year since everything, and I'm glad to say I'm in a much better place now.

Homecoming is coming around again, and instead of going to the homecoming dance with Collin, we are going to go to his place, and watch movies, eat junk food, play Fall Out, and just talk.

But right now we're visiting his mother at the institution where she is currently staying.

"It's okay," I say softly to Collin, as we stop in front of the door to his mother's room. I take his hand, and interlace my fingers through his. "Your mother will be happy to see you."

He looks at me sadly, and nods. "I hope so. Maybe she'll blame me..."

"She won't blame you. B-because she knows why she's here."

He nods as a tear rolls down his cheek. "Yeah. But I hate seeing her like this. In restraints."

I nod in understanding, and give his hand another squeeze before he opens the door.

When we both walk in, his mother smiles at the sight of him. That's a good sign, because it lets Collin know that there are absolutely no hard feelings.

That's what Collin is always afraid of. That someone is mad at him. He's always so hard on himself, when really he shouldn't be.

"Mom," Collin says nervously, "This is Abi, my girlfriend."

His mother's smile falter temporarily, but immediately brightens up when (I suppose) it sinks in. "Good," is all she says, before asking Collin what day it is, and if he's doing alright without her.