chapter 5

As mistress of Pemberly, and without Georgiana's help,Elizabeth was kept busy throughout the day.  There were guests to be fed,  beggars to be disposed, servants to instruct and a ball to be chaperoned. She had little time to ponder on her absent husband, but he never escaped her thoughts.  She made apologies for him,citing urgent business as his cause of absence.

"Lizzie, you carry yourself as befits the mistress of Pemberly, looking at you now, one would never guess you were once an empty headed girl who wanted to marry Mr Collins, " her father commented when they had a chance to sit down together, upon the commencement of the ball.

"You honour me sir, a Pemberly mistress looks something like Miss de Bourgh over there,  as you can see,we are so different in countenance. "

"True, one looks like a sickly twig and the other is all loveliness. Pemberly must really agree with you child,you look well. "

"Everything agrees with me. I did not think you will venture all the way to Derbyshire for something as silly as a wedding."

"Weddings are silly, I agree,  but I knew I will find great pleasure in watching Mr Collins make a fool of himself,like he is doing now. "

Elizabeth looked up in alarm,Mr Collins was dancing clumsily with the bride,stepping on her toes, and seemingly making a long speech.  Elizabeth smiled in remembrance of the first and only time she had danced with Mr Collins,poor Georgiana, too well bred to even excuse herself. Elizabeth was about to stand up and go to her rescue but Mr Bennet stopped her.

"Do not join the dance Lizzie, lest your mother spots you and begins to make fools out of us all."

Elizabeth stole a nervous glance at her mother, who was thankfully occupied by the Gardiners for the moment, "Aren't you proud of our Kitty papa? Kitty has done well. "

"Yes Kitty has made me proud indeed. I was so worried when she was younger, she coughed so much I thought she will always be scaring away all the young men."

"And Mary too, I wish Mary were here. "

"Yes, Mary had all the features that promised her destiny as an old maid, but I was surprised that there were young men in the world more stupid than Mr Collins. "

"Mary's husband is not a stupid fellow,  he just does not know the difference between day and night, but can you blame him? He is a clergyman, does not the Holy Book say that no one knows the day or the hour? "

Mr Bennet smiled widely at his daughter, "I miss you Lizzie, you should write to me more often. "

"But sir,hardly a fortnight goes by without me writing you a long narration of my affairs, but you abhor writing and I never get any replies. "

"Your mother often writes, and we are one person, body and soul. "

"I miss you too Papa, once Georgiana is well settled in her new home, I shall no doubt force Mr Darcy to accompany me to Lobgbourn,and we shall stay a week."

"Bring Jane and her little ones too, I very much dislike children, but Jane's, I thoroughly enjoy them. "

"I shall. "

"Where is Mr Darcy?  Gone off to buy you some silk gown, has he?"

"Yes,he tends to spoil me,  but I like being spoilt,it makes me happy. "

"Lizzy, Lizzy,I am sorry to interrupt your time with your father, but you must dance, you are the mistress of Pemberly, you and my brother must dance at my wedding," Georgiana said as she approached them.

"I am sorry that is not possible, your brother is gone to London, on urgent business," Elizabeth replied, "but do not stop on our account,pray go on and enjoy yourself, it is your wedding day. "