Chapter Twenty-three - part 2

Pinpricks of starlight spotted the cloudless night, like splatters of titanium white on a cobalt canvas. Liz had never seen such a clear night sky until she’d come to Derbyshire, escaping the light pollution of the metropolis. She thrust her hands deeper into her pockets as the wood on the bonfire crackled and popped.

William stood close behind her, circling her waist with his arms as his lips hovered by her ear. “Hungry, Mrs Darcy?”

They’d been married just over a fortnight and she still felt a tingle in her stomach every time he whispered her name like that. She leaned back into his embrace. “No, I’m fine thanks.”

“It’s traditional to warm your hands on a baked potato on Bonfire Night. Remember, remember, the fifth of November. I remember one year when…oh, they’re about to start. Watch.”

From somewhere beyond the lake, bright sparks shot up into the empty sky, bursting in fountains of golds, reds, greens and purples, reflecting in the still surface of the water. Bangs and fizzing sounds shattered the silence and Liz stood, amazed by the power and beauty of the display.

“When I was a child at Pemberley fireworks were not restricted to Bonfire Night and New Year celebrations. My parents would order fireworks lit as entertainment after dinner parties or at the culmination of a ball. Of course, they didn’t have all these coloured varieties then, just white and yellow. They seemed louder back then too.” William leaned closer, pressing his lips to the curl of her ear. “It’s amazing that something as destructive as gunpowder can also create such a wondrous entertainment.”

Liz smiled. “Just like the gypsy’s curse.” She felt his arms stiffen. The continuation of the curse had caused them both a few sleepless nights as they’d discussed its implications. She knew he tested it every day but he no longer mentioned the results and he’d never spoken of the gut wrenching disappointment he must feel.

There was an edge to his voice as he said, “An interesting conclusion, but I cannot quite see the parallel.”

“Think about it. What that gypsy did to you, it could have turned you into a monster, a human who could not die. A lesser man might have gone crazy, power hungry. You could have committed terrible crimes. The fact that you accepted it and used it to protect your country and help people told me everything I needed to know. You took a potentially destructive force and turned it into something beautiful.”

His lips pressed against the top of her head. “If I was so good, so noble, then why?” He sighed. “Why have I not been released? What did I do wrong?”

A tear escaped from the corner of her eye as she recognised the pain in his voice. “You might not have done anything wrong. It’s only been a couple of weeks. Give it time.”

He spun her around, his hands on her face as he brought his lips to hers, his mouth possessing her, pleading with her, communicating his distress without the need for words. After a few minutes, he dragged himself away, no longer able to look in her eyes. “I have the time. It’s you I’m worried about.”

If they continued as they were he would stay as young and handsome as he ever was. She would not be as fortunate. “You’re wondering how it will be when I’m an old, grey crone and you haven’t changed.”

William kissed her forehead. “No matter how old, or how grey, Lizzy, you’ll always be beautiful to me. I’ll love you forever, that I can promise.”

Pushing down her doubts, she forced her mouth into a smile. “And I’ll love you for as long as I live.”

He drew her back into his arms and she leaned her head against his chest. Liz heard him sigh and wished she knew what was going through his mind. She didn’t want him to dwell on what might happen when they still had so many years ahead of them; years they really ought to make the most of, considering how abruptly her life had been cut short before. Despite the heat from the bonfire, she shivered.