Rebound, But Newfound {24}

“You ready?”

                I jumped in surprise and turned to face Tommy. He was leaning in my doorway, hungrily drinking in my topless appearance.

                I rolled my eyes and pulled a shirt on, nearly laughing at the disappointment on Tommy’s face. “Almost. Grab my black socks while I get my shin guards,” I said, turning away from him and digging around my closet.

                Tommy tossed me my socks and I shoved them in my bag along with my shin guards. I grabbed my soccer ball and stood up after putting it in my bag. I walked over to Tommy and took his hand in mine.

                The two of us went downstairs and into my kitchen. My dad looked up and smiled at me, tossing me a cold water bottle.

                “Good luck boys,” he said with a wink.

                We went out to my car and got in. I drove us to the soccer field and we made our way around to the back of the school.

                The whole team was there, talking and getting ready. I glanced nervously at Kory, who was sitting with Trace’s arm around him lovingly.

                “Tommy, you can do it,” I said quietly. “You’re a good player. You can make the team.”

                Tommy rolled his eyes. “Duh I can make the team. Now let’s put our shin guards on before coach shows up.”

                We sat down and pulled our shin guards and socks on before jumping up. I drank a little bit of water and made sure my cleats were tied on comfortably.

                Tommy came over and I wrapped my arms around him and kissed him deeply. “I love you Tommy. Kick some ass,” I said with a small smile.

                “Oh I will,” he assured and kissed me. “And after tryouts, let’s go swimming at my house.”

                I nodded as Coach came over and grinned at all of us. I took Tommy’s hand in mine and kissed him one more time. This was about to get intense.

                “Well, Trace, Zeke, lead the warm-ups and then we’ll get started,” Coach said, waving at us.

                Trace and I led everyone to the field and they circled around us. We instructed everyone what stretches to do, making sure we were as stretched as possible before looking at Coach for what to do next.

                “Mile run. You’re going to lap the field eight times,” Coach said, pulling his phone out to time us. We all got ready and waited until he blew the whistle before taking off.

                My mind was trying to focus on Tommy, but I knew he wouldn’t want me to wait up for him. I had always been faster than Tommy. Right now, Trace and I were keeping even and steady pace with each other, slightly ahead of the others.

                As we turned the first corner, I took the opportunity to glance at the others. Tommy was, surprisingly after his ankle injury, keeping up only a few people behind me and Trace. Kory was behind Tommy.

                That made me feel a ton better. Kory wasn’t good at running fast, unless it was short distance. He could run long distance, but he couldn’t do it quickly. Tommy was pretty speedy long distance.

                We ran the eight laps before stopping. Trace and I had kept pace with each other the entire time, remaining slightly ahead of the others. I smiled to myself when I saw Tommy finish before Kory.