Chapter Nineteen

The moment we arrived at the Blackwood Manor, the party-goers whisked Cooper away. Burly wolves surrounded him, all wanting for their moment to be the center of Cooper's attention. Maybe they hoped he'd falter in some way. Maybe they could find his weakness in the few moments they spoke.

Even without being one of them, I could pick out the Alphas from the common wolf. They presented themselves to be the tallest in the room, which included fun features like interrupting everyone and shoving people out of their way. It was like the competition already started.

One man from another pack, who name might have been Tristan narrowed his eyes at Cooper. I couldn't hear the conversation, but whatever Cooper said brought Tristan's tension to 100 percent. I've seen more flexible blocks of cement. I poured my sparkling cider (Moira Blackwood informed the waitstaff that Cooper and I were underaged, putting pictures up and everything) into the nearest potted plant and rushed over.

"Coop," I cut into this waltz headed for disaster. All the wolves went rigid with the only human present. I intertwined my arm around Cooper's and said, "sorry, but I need to steal him away. There's a problem in the kitchen that needs a little attention."

"That sounds important," Cooper sternly nodded and then smiled at the group. "My apologies."

We hightailed it to the kitchen, snickering like idiots. "Did you see his face?" I asked. "He changed three different shades of red. He looked like he wanted to strangle you, what did you say? That you slept with his mother? That you put a kick me sign on his back?"

"All I did was off a little advice for tomorrow," he shrugged, the picture of innocence. "His pack is known for their soft feet and I just wanted to warn him that tournament floor is pretty hard-"

"You're such an ass!" I shoved him, but nothing could erase the smugness etch into his smile. He looked downright proud, smiling to himself. I still insisted, gripping his arm tighter than I intended. "You need to be more careful. You're going to have fight these people-"

"I'll only have to fight one," Cooper reminded me, slipping his hands into mine. Walking backwards, he opened the kitchen doors. With that level of confidence, he nearly convinced me, but what I wanted to think and the worry churning around in my stomach argued.

"Somehow that doesn't make me feel better," I muttered, squeezing his big warm hands.

I followed him inside the kitchen, where the air was thick and clung to my skin like summer heat. The kitchen was less of a panic than I imagined with a full house of people out there with hungry eyes. Servers filled their trays with liquor or bite sized versions of real food, before gliding out of the room.

However, Moira Blackwood being the host, she'd tear this place down and start over if that meant these servers acted like a well-oiled machine. If I could plan my own death, I would hand over the responsibility to Moira because I know it'd be quick and efficient.

"No, no," someone said from the pantry. Shuffling outside, his arms full of chips and salsa was none other than Robert Blackwood. He wore a slick black suit. He used his foot to close the pantry. "This is my hiding spot. You two have to go elsewhere."

"Yeah?" Copper raised a brow as Robert jumped onto the last empty counter space. He popped opened the salsa jar and took a greedy scoop with a corn chip. Cooper crossed his arms, stepping out of the way of a busy server. "And what will you have to say for yourself if mom catches you?"

With a mouth full, Cooper's father managed, "I'm supervising."

Rolling his eyes, Cooper laughed right out of the kitchen and I waved at Robert goodbye. He continued to confound me. How Robert and Moira met and then feel in love must be an unbelievable tale. Cooper and I didn't hold hands in front of the crowd. Cooper moved fast, skipping whole rooms without stopping as if he was a man on a mission. No one stopped a man going somewhere and this way. Cooper avoided forced uncomfortable conversations.