Week Four: Plotting: The Heroes Journey

The heroes journey is one of the most popular methods of plotting. I don't personally use it, but I definitely would were I writing a fantasy or story with magic. It's also quite easily recognizable in a lot of Hollywood movies. Rebecca Sky and myself did an entire presentation about this at Wattcon filled with all kinds of examples for easy reference, so I will just touch base on it here. If you want a copy of our presentation, just email and we'll be happy to send it your way!

 If you want a copy of our presentation, just email  and we'll be happy to send it your way!

Step 1: The Ordinary World. Basically, the exposition of the story. The set up. Your hero is going on about his or her everyday life, unaware of the adventure that awaits them. Here the reader should learn enough about your hero to identify with them, so they will then root for your hero when their plight begins.

Step 2: The hero receives a call to action. (A threat to him or her or some birthright that requires them to be a hero). This needs to upset their normal way of life and present a challenge or a quest for the hero.

Step 3: Refusal of the Call. The hero may be excited, but he or she has fears, second thoughts, doubts themselves and their ability to conquer. Give the reader their reluctant hero, because it's realistic. Yes, it's cool if you're the only person on earth who can defeat the lords of the underworld but let's be real, it's also a bit terrifying.

Step 4: A turning point for the hero. Here they meet a mentor, someone who will give him or her something they need. Could be an object like a magic relic, advice, insight, training or even a little boost of self confidence. Whatever it may be, the hero now believes in him or herself enough to begin his quest.

Step 5: Crossing the Threshold: This is quite simply where your hero is brave enough (or pushed enough) to step into a world to which he or she is not familiar with. The hero goes forward, unsure and uncertain, but willing to forge ahead.

Step 6: Tests, Allies, Enemies: Self explanatory but here our hero is confronted over and over again with challenges that will test them. Obstacles are in his or her way and he or she must overcome them to reach their goals. Friends and enemies are made, skills are tested and for every challenge he or she faces, your reader should get a deeper understanding of their character.

Step 7. The Innermost Cave: A terrible danger or an inner conflict, or both. Here the hero is about to take one final leap of faith into the things he or she does not know. Doubts or fears may resurface and your hero may need a small break to reflect on how far he or she has come and gather the courage to tackle what lies ahead.

Step 8: The Ordeal: Life risking level physical test or extraordinary inner conflict/crisis that your hero needs to face in order to survive or to save the world or themselves. Hero will take from all he or she has learned so far on their journey in order to once and for all conquer his fears. The hero will experience a figurative death where he or she is reborn, better, stronger and having profoundly changed from his or her experiences.

Step 9: Reward: The enemy is defeated, the character is reborn and has finally overcome his or her biggest challenge. A hero can be rewarded with an object, a title, greater knowledge or recognition of a new ally. Celebrations aside, your hero is preparing to return to his or her ordinary world.

Step 10: The Road Back: Where the hero first had to cross the threshold into the special world, he or she must now cross the threshold back into the ordinary world. Acclaim or vindication may be waiting but the hero needs one last push, somehow putting aside personal glory for the greater good.

Step 11: Resurrection: The climax. Just when we think things are great, the hero encounters one final battle. The outcome here should have massive consequence to the ordinary world and your heroes loved ones. Failure is not an option and the weight of the world is on his or her shoulders. The hero once again succeeds and is once again reborn.

Step 12: Return with Elixir: The hero returns to his or her ordinary world a changed person. They've come full circle, having faced danger, learned things about the world and him or herself. The heroes return may bring renewed hope or faith to his world. The reward here is change, success and proof of his or her journey. The hero returns to the same place where he or she started but things will never be the same again. 

Like every week so far, you can find the infographic and a worksheet on my website. Happy plotting all! 

Next week we'll do the last of plotting (there are a million methods but I'm only covering three and if I had to choose one method I'm most tolerant of, it's coming up... Mind mapping. I'll show you how I do it and tell you why it's my favourite!