Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

11.

"And then what happened?"

"We just drove around. Talked about things..." I shrug.

"Something must have happened, you're literally glowing. I don't think I've ever seen you this happy," Heidi tells me with a small smirk.

"I love spending time with him. He's moody and intense, but I can't get enough of him."

"That's so cute," she sighs wistfully. "Makes my love life seem very boring."

"You're talking to me – the girl who has never done anything. Well, there was Fletcher, but we all know how that turned out."

"True that," she agrees.

We continue walking to our lockers, when Heidi's face hardens. "Incoming."

I panic, thinking it's Mrs Grainger, when I see Anita striding towards me, a look of death etched onto her face. Since Haze, she has backed off, which is insane, considering she's bullied me for years.

She suddenly stops, her eyes widening fearfully. She abruptly turns and strides in the other direction. Heidi and I exchange a confused look, when I feel a heavy hand rest on my shoulder.

I turn, smiling. "Hi."

"Hey," Haze says quietly.

He nods briefly at Heidi, who is beaming at him.

"Well, I'll leave you to it," she says, before strolling towards her locker, obviously feeling uncomfortable when it's only us three.

"How are you?" I ask him, reaching out and touching Haze's arm.

He glances down to my hand for a moment. "All right. You?"

"Good."

He glares down at the ground, as if not sure how to act around me, suddenly.

I reach for his hand and squeeze it. "Let's go to class."

He doesn't resist me holding his hand, which I like.

"I have a question for you and I don't want you to get upset or offended, okay?"

He sighs through his nose, already looking annoyed. "What?"

"Since you've missed so much of school, are you struggling with the work?" I gently ask.

He yanks his hand from mine, scowling. "I'm doing fine."

"Stop overreacting," I say calmly. "And answer the question honestly."

"Ellie," he warns.

"Answer the question!" I snap back, this new temper of mine continually shocking me.

"Yes. I struggle. Okay?" he growls, clenching his jaw tightly.

"Okay, that's all you had to say," I shake my head. "You had to do some education training in juvie, right?"

"Very basic shit," he mutters.

"Would you like me to help you with any classes?" I offer.

"No."

"Haze, stop fighting with me." I sigh. "It's tiring."

He presses his lips together, looking pissed. I ignore him. I walk ahead and slip into class. I go to the desk he always sits at. I place my belongings accordingly. He hovers in the doorway for a few seconds, before coming to sit beside me. He doesn't look at me as he does.

I want to smile, but I don't. He is a work-in-progress, that's for sure.

I take my time looking around the room. A few people glance towards us and Fletcher is frowning at me. I pretend I don't see it and return my focus to the front of the classroom.

icon lock

Show your support for Lauren Jackson, and continue reading this story

by Lauren Jackson
@LaurenJ22
When good girl highschooler Ellie falls in love with an ex-convict, o...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 63 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @LaurenJ22.