BATTLE IN THE ARENA

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have a special treat for you," the announcer sang out. "One of our agents found a most delicious piece of information."

Alf clenched and unclenched his fists as he waited nervously in the archway. The sound of the crowd overhead quieted and the announcer continued.

"Zaphaniea, our grand champion, has been secretly training her childhood sweetheart to fight in the arena."

"What?.. I never," Alf started, but Hervey slapped him on the back. "I saw how she wrapped her arm around you. Didn't think I'd notice did ya?"

"No. But real-"

"I know," the announcer continued as the crowd stirred in excitement, "scandalous isn't it, but we can't possibly let someone as powerful as our champion give out private lessons, so we snatched him from the jaws of the dragon and drug him here. Sooo," the announcer paused dramatically, "here he is. The strongest man in the world; the most handsome brute you've ever laid eyes on, and the half-trained, half-baked warrior... Alf!"

Hervey pushed him forward and Alf stumbled out onto the field.

Magic lights shined on him, and giant scryings floating high in the sky zoomed in on his face then his biceps and muscular form. A large group of muscular, half-naked men with Zaphaniea's name painted in red all over their bodies booed at his appearance, and popcorn, with various pieces of trash, rained down at him.

I guess they don't like the idea I'm Zephaniea's sweetheart, Alf thought. Not that actually am, though.

The scrying zoomed back in on the announcer, a skinny fellow with large sunglasses and a crazy-looking hat. "And just who will this untested combatant be fighting? The mysterious... drum roll please... viiice champioooon!"

The people erupted in ear-deafening shouts and the stands trembled as the vice champion suddenly appeared on the other side of the arena. Still clad in the same metallic facemask and green armor he had worn earlier, the warrior bowed towards the stands with an easy confidence and jauntily saluted Alf.

"Will a new hero be born or will our vice champion crush the half-trained warrior? Keep your eyes peeled and your face forward folks or you might miss the fight. And trust me, this is one you don't want to miss. Without further ado, and before your anticipation crushes me to death, let the fight begin!!"

A giant gong rung out, and Alf whipped out his sword as the warrior in green leaned forward and shot towards him.

Alf leveled his blade, trying to gauge at what angle the attack would come from, but right before the masked warrior reached him, he veered to his left, and flashed past him.

Alf spun around in alarm, just-in-time to see the vice champion pivot, sending up plumes of dirt. With deadly precision, the warrior swung his whole body to face him and drew his sword in the same fluid arc he had used earlier.

Gripping his decorative weapon with both hands, Alf interposed it between himself and the oncoming attack.

A high pitched scream of metal on metal echoed throughout the arena as the green warrior's sword sprung from its sheath and smashed into his, sending a nasty shock all the way through Alf's arms and down to his feet. A hairline crack etched its way into the blade of his sword. If it hadn't been for the Stone of Kay's resonating frequencies enhancing the blade, the force of the vice champion's attack would have snapped it clean in half.

For a moment, the warrior and Alf stood face to face, and through the slits in his mask, Alf could see the champion's greenish-brown eyes widen in surprise.