Chapter 10: Ronnie

I cover my head with the sheets as dreams over take my mind.  I am back at our old house.  I feel my dad put his arm around me and Kimberley as we sit on the couch and watch TV.  I snuggle up next to him and grin. My dad, he was my protector, he wouldn’t allow anything to hurt our family.  That is what I thought . . . until last night.

                My dream shifts from us sitting on the couch to when my mother grabs my sister and me and runs us out of our rooms.  She’s almost out the door, holding Kimberley’s hand and carrying me in her arms, when she cries out in horror and drops me on the front steps. I turn around and see her lying face down.  A knife was speared in the middle of her back, dripping blood. 

                Kimberley removes the knife and I see her face become saddened.  She turns around just to see our father secure a knife into her body.  Kimberley doesn’t scream though.  She looks up at our father with scared, frightened eyes.  He picks her up by the front of her shirt collar, “You shouldn’t have tried to run, now you shall pay the price . . . for your lack of stupidity!”  He throws her to the ground and she falls limp.  Her mouth is still open as well as her eyes. 

                I look away not wanting to see the gruesome sight.  My father grabs me by the shirt and puts a knife up to my throat.  I wait for the sharp point to enter my body, I wait for the pain, the hateful words when he puts down his kitchen knife down.  “Since you’re the youngest, I’ll give you a choice.  You may come with me, or you may join your mother and sister, your choice.”  He hissed.

                I am paralyzed.  My body tenses up and I can’t help but shake under my father’s grip.  I am about to answer when I feel a sharp pain in my body and look down to see a knife pierced in my stomach.   I look at my father again, terrified of his horrific gaze at me, “I’ll make it easy for you.  I won’t like an American in my turf!”  He drops me on the ground and steps over me as he walks out the door. 

                I lie there unable to move, unable to do anything.  I see my mom and sister’s motionless bodies lie a few feet away from mine.  My eyes squint a few times and my vision is soon gone.  I now lie there waiting for death to take me away.  My father, he won’t allow anyone to hurt us, he must hurt us himself.

                I gasp as I awake from my dream sitting up in the bead.  It takes me a moment to remember where I am.  I feel my body.  Chest, arms, legs, head, stomach, good, I think, I’m still alive.  I look over at Saige and Ivan.  Saige is still asleep but Ivan is gone.  I pull the covers off me and run into the other room.  Blake, Jason, and Kimberley are also gone.  Where could they have gone?  I freak for a moment when I hear a moaning sound come from the other room.  “Morning cuz’.”  Saige says yawning stretching her arms above her head. 

                “Saige,” I run over to her frantic.  “Where is everyone!? Nobody is here except you and me.”

                Saige rubs her eyes and looks over to her right seeing Ivan’s empty bed.  “Probably getting something to eat.”  She sighs.  “What time is it?”

                I loom over at the digital clock.  “About eight.” 

                “Yep,” Saige yawns again.  “They usually get breakfast at this time.”  She swings her feet over the side of the bed rubbing her neck.  She stops and her eyes pop open, “Wait, it’s Saturday, right?”