Chapter 17

"I don't think it's even operational anymore," Percy said, staring questioningly at the dingy hangar in front of him.

"We have to trust her," Luke counters, "besides, what does it hurt to try?"

It was a small hanger, just 4 bay doors -all of them completely covered in rust- with a glass office door on the far East end of the building. To get to the building, you actually had to cross the airstrip; Luke doubted that would pass a safety inspection if anyone cared enough to report this place, and it was apparent that no one did.

"If we're gonna try, we better hurry," the younger boy concedes, "it's getting late, and I doubt he gets enough business to stay open past 5:00."

They hurried across the strip, and, miraculously, the door was unlocked. They were thankful to be so far north, because, as told by the stagnant air, it was obvious there was no air conditioning.

"Hello," Luke called into the empty lobby area, "is anyone in here?"

They crept around the counter and peered into an office that looked just as abandoned as the rest of the building.

"He might be out in the actual hangar part," Percy offered, grabbing Luke's hand and dragging him towards the door at the other end of the room. When they reach the door, Luke pulls his hand away; Percy shoots the boy a questioning, hurt look.

"Sorry, it's just, we don't know how he'll react, and this our only hope to reach the island. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, Perce,"

"No, I understand," he sighs, "I've just never had to deal with this before."

"It sucks, but it's just gonna be for a few minutes, then I'll hold your hand for the whole ride."

"Promise?" Percy asks with a smirk.

"Promise," Luke responds, leaning down to kiss the boy, and then opening the door.

Inside, they found a white-haired, old man tinkering away at one of the 3 small planes in the building.

"Sir," Luke calls out, loud enough to get the man's attention over the noise.  The old man jumps in surprise, dropping his wrench. "Sir, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," Luke apologizes, running over to pick up the tool.

"No, no," the man says, "it's my fault, I heard the bell go off, but I just assumed it was a short-circuit. Randy McMane, what can I do for you two boys?" He asks, extending his hand, first to Luke, then to Percy.

At first, Luke hesitates, surely this man was too old to be the father of any Huntress. Then he realizes that Kelsey could quite possibly be 40 years old, as long as she was good enough at combat to survive. "Kelsey sent us, she said that we could borrow a plane," he says, handing her letter to her father.

"You saw my Kelsey?" The man asks, choking up. "How is she? Is she good, I haven't seen her in so long."

Percy doesn't hesitate in his response, "she's doing fine, and she's very sorry that she couldn't come see you herself."

"My sweet, sweet girl, I haven't seen her in so long." He pulls an old photo out of his pocket, and showed it to the boys. It had to have been from the late sixties. It showed Kelsey -almost identical to how she was now- and a much younger version of the man standing before them. "I miss her so much. You two must be like her, that's why you're here. I remember when she left, we had been attacked by some kind of flying bird woman, and then the next day, she was gone. She left a note on her bed, saying that she didn't want me to get hurt, and that's why she was leaving. I haven't seen her since," he said, his eyes watering. "You know, I must have had her picture on the milk cartons and in the newspapers for over two years. I always kept this place open, so that if she ever needed to come back, she'd know where to find me, I guess it's served part of it's purpose."

"I'm so sorry, Mr. McMane," Percy says sympathetically.

"It's fine boy, just an old man living in the past," he said, sighing. "Where are you two off to?"

"We need to get to Coats Island, " Luke says.

"Well, if you're going that far, then you're going to need a quality plane. Follow me." He leads them into the far corner of the hangar, to a large, tarp covered plane. He pulls the tarp off of the plane, which, while a little dusty, was still the nicest thing on the property. "This was her plane, I could've sold it for quite a bit of money, but I guess that would've meant she was actually gone. You boys take good care of her, alright? Being her back in one piece."

"We will sir," Luke assures him. He helps Percy up into theplane, before climbing up himself. McMane walks over and opens one of the hangar doors. Shakily at first, Luke drives the plane out onto the strip.

"Luke, are you sure you know what you're doing?"

"Perce," Luke says, kissing Percy on the cheek, "I'm not going to let anything happen to you, I promise."

He starts down the runway. Percy shouts his eyes, and after two minutes of not crashing into anything, he opens them to see the ground flying by 500 feet below.

Luke smiles at the nervous boy before reaching his free hand over, and grabbing Percy's hand, keeping the promise he made to the boy earlier.

They were on their way to the final destination of the quest, and no matter what was on that island, Percy was ready to face it with Luke.