Chapter 1

My eyes shot open to the screaming and crying. I groaned and tossed to the other side of my bed, watching my husband rub his eyes tiredly and yawning, while our daughter screamed like she does every morning before normal people get up.

“I got it.” He yawned as he stood up and stretched, bringing his arms above his head. I stood up as well and sat him down quietly, and flying out of the room. He already got her five times this week, I think it was my turn to get her.

I slowly turned the wooden knob on the bedroom door, the door creaking loudly as it opened. I tip toed over to the leaf-like crib, resting my arms on the rails as I stared into my daughter's bright purple eyes. “What is it, Nessa?” I asked in my voice on how I would talk to an eighteen month old. “What do you want?” I groaned in my stop waking me up voice.

She stopped screaming enough for me to catch the word. “Daddy.” She said simply, raising her arms that made her blonde hair fall to the floor of the crib.

“Okay then, but it’s not my fault if he’s asleep again.” I muttered as I lifted her out and held her, steadily walking back and bouncing her playfully. She laughed as we entered the room, and I saw the wide smile that molded my husband’s face. “She says she wants Daddy.” I told him as I set her in his arms, and he gladly took her.

“Well yeah, you know I’m the favorite.” He replied smartly as I sat down on the bed next to him. “And you’re jealous cause you know you’re not the favorite.”

A cocky grin cracked my face. “Actually, I want her to stop waking me up at four in the morning.” He laughed as he wrapped an arm around my shoulders and brought me closer to him.

“Fine, whatever you say. Get some sleep, I’ll see you in the morning. I got Nessa from here.” He told me as he tickled her, and she burst out laughing, arms flying wildly everywhere.

“No Cylak, I think you need sleep.” I replied, giving him the snake eye. “You’ve gotten no sleep since she was born.”

“And yet, I manage fine. I think you’re the one that needs sleep.” He argued, but I was too tired to argue back. I watched Nessa crash right in his arms.

“How do you do that?” I whined, watching her curl up in his arms. “I don’t get it.”

“Well, duh.” He laughed smartly, taking his free arm and pointing his thumb at himself. “Favorite.” I sighed and gave up the argument, resting my head on his shoulder, and I was out cold.

~~~~~~~~~~

I gasped and shot up as I heard a large crash coming from outside. I ripped the covers off of me and flew out of the room, hunting down the source of the crash. I swung the kitchen door open, but held a laugh under my breath. Nessa was laughing and clapping in her high chair as Cylak stood by the stove, some sort of breakfast batter and a bent in half frying pan on the floor. He had the guilty look on his face that wanted to make me laugh, but I held it in.

“What?” He asked me, hearing another splash of who-knows-what hit the floor.

“Really, Cylak?” I asked, shaking my head disappointingly. “How many times have I taught you how to make pancakes?”

He kept his gaze at the floor, rocking back and forth nervously. “A lot more then you should.” He muttered lowly, almost enough more me not to hear him.

“And how many times have I told you not to bend the frying pan?” I asked him, crossing my arms and tapping my foot like the stereotypical angered wives.

“Calia, I’m not even twenty yet. You expect a nineteen year old to know how to make pancakes?” He asked smartly, and I felt my eyes darken, making him back off easily.