Chapter 23: Preparations

Sam

I try to sleep, but I can't. This isn't the first time Bobbi called me in the middle of the night. She usually calls me only when the nightmare was too much. I know this, because I overheard her parents talk one afternoon. Her mom told her dad that she had another nightmare and that she had one every single night that week. She didn't call me and I didn't ask her about it. If she wanted to tell me she would've.

I watch her sleep, caressing her cheek with my left index finger. She looks so peaceful, but I know there is a storm inside her head. She didn't say anything, but I can tell. I don't have nightmares about losing her, but that doesn't mean I'm immune to it. I know that she is faithful and we always talk about what is bothering us. That's one of the things I love about our relationship – it's honest. She isn't just my girlfriend, but my best friend. I've shared things with her I haven't shared with anyone else. She knows all about my past and she knows all about my dreams for the future. I don't care what our parents or anyone else thinks – we belong together. Plain and simple. Are we young? Yes, but love doesn't have an expiration date.

Since we met we both changed, we both learned, we both grew. That's what life is all about. We are different, but I'd rather discover new things about her and she about me for the rest of our lives than be what others want us to be.

Clark's parents met when he was nineteen and she was seventeen. By the time they were both in their early twenties they were married and had a child. I'm not saying this is me and Bobbi and we are certainly far from even thinking of it. But I do believe that we are meant to be. That this is the real deal.

These thoughts have been keeping me up for a while now. I know we have our whole lives ahead of us, but at the same time I feel like we are running out of time. The more time passes the more I want to spend with her. I want her close to me, just like she is right now. I would love to hold her in my arms every night, just watching her sleep, making sure no nightmares plague her.

I close my eyes, trying to get at least a couple of hours of sleep.

When I wake again it is morning. Must be seven a.m. or something. I look around and realize this is not my room. Or my bed. This is Bobbi's. I look to my right where she is snuggled against me, a small smile on her face. She looks so cute that I can't contain myself and bend down to kiss her cheek. I know I might wake her up, but we have to get up anyway.

Her skin is so soft and she smells of passion fruit. I smile to myself. I love her, I love her so much. She stirs and I move a little to capture her lips. At first she doesn't respond, but then I feel her lips move softly against mine. What was supposed to be a chaste wake up kiss turns into a passionate open mouth kiss in which our tongues mate in a lustful dance. She moans and I suddenly realize I'm in bed with my girlfriend, kissing her, pressed against her warm body and it's morning. I turn my lower half slightly to not press my morning wood against her. I don't want to make her uncomfortable. I pull back, even though I would rather spend the entire day like this. I open my eyes and look at her. She looks so beautiful.

"Morning gorgeous," I say with a wide smile plastered on my face.

"Morning handsome," she replies and stretches her arms over her head, pushing her chest out. "What time is it?"

"I don't know," I say honestly. She turns around to check the watch on her nightstand.

"Holy crap. Sam, it's almost eight a.m.," she says and sits up abruptly. I follow her example, although not as panicked.

"Relax, babe. We are already packed. All we have to do is eat something and get ready. How about we meet in thirty minutes?" I ask her and kiss her forehead. She frowns a little but nods. She gets out of bed and walks into her bathroom without closing the door. I wonder what she's doing when I hear the shower run. Is she seriously taking a shower with me still here? I mean, I don't mind. I'm sure I would enjoy seeing her naked, but I'm not sure I would be able to not get up and walk into the room and kiss her and ... No, we'll get to that when she's ready.

"Sam?" she asks coming back into her room.

"Yeah?"

"Don't get me wrong, I love having you here, but if we want to leave in half an hour you need to get going," she says with a chuckle.

"You kicking me out?" I ask with a smirk.

"As a matter of fact, I am. Unless you want to explain to my dad why you are here, in my bed," she says with a wink.

"Oh, alright," I say with a dramatic sigh. I get out of her bed and walk to where she is still standing, kiss her softly and then climb out of her window.

Somehow I manage to sneak back into my room without waking my parents or sister and get ready. I take a quick shower and then take my backpack down to my truck. When I get back inside I walk straight into the kitchen to make some coffee and even pour some into two travel mugs for me and Bobbi. I'm not particularly hungry, but since I don't know when we'll eat the next time I decided to make myself some scrambled eggs with bacon and toast. Just as I finish and sit down at the kitchen island dad comes in and joins me, pouring himself a mug of coffee.

"Don't tell your mom, but you make a way better coffee than she does," he says with a chuckle and I laugh a little.

"Don't worry," I say and dig in.

"So, you and Bobbi going out hiking," he says with a strange look on his face. I nod since my mouth is full. "You guys planning something special?" he asks and I almost choke when I understand where this is going.

"No," I say a little too quickly. Dad laughs at that but gets serious again.

"I know you probably know what you need to know about having sex with a girl," he starts saying and I find myself whining.

"Dad," I say. I don't want to talk about that. Besides, we're not going to that cabin to have sex. Of course, I wouldn't say no to it either, but I'm more than okay to wait for when she's ready.

"No need to be embarrassed, son," dad says smiling. "I know you know what to do, but when you love someone, the way I know you love Bobbi, and she loves you back, sexual intercourse is that much special." I sigh in defeat. He won't give up until we have "the talk".

"I know that, dad. And I would never ask anything of her she is not comfortable with. But our hike has nothing to do with that. We just want to spend some quality time with each other without anyone interrupting us," I say.

"I understand, but in the event you two decide to get intimate I put some condoms in your glove compartment," he says matter-of-factly before drinking from his coffee. I roll my eyes, but somehow I can't be mad at him. He means well and I'm thankful that he loves me so much.

"Thanks, dad."

"You're welcome, son."

I finish in the kitchen and then go outside to my truck. Bobbi is already waiting for me there, her backpack sitting next to her on the ground.

"Why didn't you come into the house?" I ask her as I lean down to peck her lips.

"I just got here," she says smiling. I then notice a cool box and another bag next to her backpack.

"What's that?" I ask confused.

"Food," she says plainly.

"Okay. I thought the cabin was equipped with it," I say.

"No," she says laughing lightly. "You bring your own grub." I only nod and pack everything in the back. She hops in sitting in the passenger's seat waiting for me to get in as well. The moment I start the engine she turns on the radio and looks for a station. She finally stops when she finds the country station I like and turns the volume up. She looks at me and smiles. Her smile is like sunshine, warm and comforting. I will never get tired of seeing it.

A/N: Please follow, vote and/or comment. Your feedback is highly appreciated. I am always available if you have any questions, so don't hesitate to ask them.