Chapter 29: Culpability

Warning: Adult themes and violence. Mentions of physical and sexual assault.

oOoOoOoOoOo

Chapter 29: Culpability

"Veronica, will you help me?" I finally asked.

Her face changed, moving quickly from terror to grief and back again. Before I could add in a "please" she tore her eyes from mine and shook her head frantically.

"Veronica... Ronnie—" I started to plead with her.

"No." She squared her shoulders, glancing up into my face. She didn't hold eye contact very long before she looked away, a faint blush spreading over her cheeks.

"I—I can't."

Trying not to give an obvious external reaction, I closed my eyes, breathing in and out. Ali tucked her arm tightly around me. I knew that this was a possibility. But she had been our last try, our last hope. I thought maybe my misguided witnesses would grow a pair when they heard I had another victim testifying. Veronica could have been my last card, forcing Jimmy to realize I'd won. But I hadn't.

"Don't you get that he can do it again?" Ali blurted out. "Some other innocent girl may not be as lucky as you. She might be like Cate." I tried to shush Ali. I didn't think she was helping. She glared at me and turned back to Veronica and the still stunned Mrs. Masen. "Do you think you could live with yourself?"

Veronica looked stricken and a tear escaped down her cheek. She gripped her mother's hand fiercely and gritted her teeth. "You don't get it. I can't!"

Her daughter's shout awakened her out of her stupor. Mrs. Masen gently shook Veronica's hand. "Why? Why can't you, Ronnie? I can't believe this happened, but I know you would never want it to happen again, so why?"

She looked down, her brown hair swinging in her face, blocking out view. "He promised."

I sat up, alarmed, my back tight. Ali stuttered beside me, "W-what did he promise?"

Veronica's eyes glazed over, no longer looking at me or Ali or her mom. Mrs. Masen turned her chin, so she was facing Ronnie's direction. She put on her mom face, confident, all-knowing, no-funny-business. "Veronica Lily Masen, who is this he? And what did he promise?"

"Jimmy. He promised that he would make our lives miserable. He knows Dad's boss—Daddy would get fired. And he said that me, Val, and Danny would be taken away." Her eyes came alive, wild, like a caged animal. "He can do it. I know he can."

"Veronica, we do not give in to bullies," her mother chided almost too softly.

I shook my head. I didn't want this family to be given more trouble than they'd already been dealt. Jimmy didn't give idle threats. I was a testament. "Mrs. Masen, I don't want to hurt Veronica or your family." I stood up awkwardly, whispering to Ali, "We should go."

"But the witnesses!" Ali whispered back none too quietly.

Mrs. Masen's head snapped in our direction. "What witnesses?"

I sighed exasperatedly. Ali answered quickly, "We had three witnesses that could testify to Cate's story, and they've been threatened or—we don't even know! But if they knew that someone else was hurt... if they knew about Veronica, they would have to help!"

"Alison," I cut in, tugging on her arm and pulling her towards the doorway.

"Caterina!

Not as quiet as I intended, I whispered, "Ali, I don't want to hurt them more than they've been hurt. I will not manipulate her into helping me. I am not him." Letting go of Ali's arm, I placed my hands on my belly and turned to the Masens. "I'm sorry, we'll be going now."