09 | εννιά

09 | εννιά

▂▂▂▂☓▂▂▂▂

ARES HAD ENGULFED me in a suffocating hug, hopping up and down like an excited school girl. "You found it! You found the box! Oh, you glorious – " I pried myself out of Ares' warm, comforting arms, although it was the last thing I wanted to do.

"What is the big deal with this box?" I asked, now seemingly unable to take my eyes off of it, it looked as if it was made from solid gold, five silver orbs decorating the top, with ancient patterns carved into it, forming a large 'P' on the top.

"I have been searching for this ever since the death of Pandora. I assume you're familiar with the story of Pandora?" He asked, examining the strange object thoroughly.

I shook my head, having absolutely no idea what he was on about. Pandora... Pandora... The only thing I could think of was the jewelry store named after the female. I had officially hit my first blank when it came to greek mythology.

Ares' eyebrow quirked up pointedly. "You're losing your touch, buttercup." He mocked, crossing his arms. He was enjoying this far too much.

I froze for a moment, taking in the nickname he had given me. Buttercups had always been my favourite flowers. How the hell did he know that? I chose to ignore it, he would probably never use it again.

"Just tell me." I groaned, crossing my arms over my chest to challenge him. "Okay, fine. I can enjoy this another time." He winked, causing the roll of my eyes as a response.

"I'll just summarize it. So Pandora was this woman who had this box," he pointed at the box on the alter.

"It was said that when opened, the box would bring about unspeakable horrors and evils." Ares explained, I nodded, absorbing this information. I was the one observing the box now.

"So why would you be searching for it?" I asked, reaching out to pick it up, but turning my hand over last minute.

"Honestly? I've always kind of wanted to open it on Mount Olympus, see how the gods would react when in peril – but I'd never been able to find it." He explained and I sighed. "So what do I do? Take it? Do you think we might need it?" I asked, already regretting following that damned siren song.

"It called for you which means we might need it in the future – if we ever escape from here, I mean. Who knows? Just take it." He urged me. I nodded, scrunching my eyes shut as I picked it up off of the alter.

"Right, so how do we get out of here?" I asked and Ares sighed, rubbing his fingers over his temples. "No idea." But just as he said those words, I began to feel myself levitating, feet hovering above the ground.

I was quick to react, grasping the box in one hand, and grabbing Ares' hand in the other. "What – " but he was hovering in the air along with me in no time.

Now I could see the flames clearly, still shocked at how I wasn't burning, and all I could hear were screams. If those screams hadn't been drowned out by the singing of Pandora's Box, I would have probably lost my mind down there.

I could see the brown patches of land now, and I was already reaching out to grab onto it, eager to escape the flaming pits of the condemned.